9 yr old boy wins right to bring My Little Pony book bag to school

posted at 4:01 pm on March 22, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Even in a business where we tend to dive off the deep end of silliness from time to time, this one may stretch the definition of Breaking News just a tad. Dr. James Joyner highlights a story out of North Carolina (all of you who had already guessed “Florida” lose this time) regarding an elementary school boy, Grayson Bruce by name, who was kept out of school for bringing a book bag emblazoned with the popular children’s series, My Little Pony. But after national attention was drawn to the situation, the school has relented and will allow Grayson to return, book bag and all.

Grayson Bruce’s My Little Pony backpack will return, and with it may come new initiatives to prevent bullying in local schools.

Buncombe County Schools administrators met Thursday with the mother of Grayson Bruce, the 9-year-old boy who was propelled into the national spotlight this week after saying he was prevented from carrying his “My Little Pony” backpack to school because administrators told him it “triggered bullying.”…

Buncombe County Schools administrators released a joint statement Thursday, saying they would work with Bruce to make “a safety transition plan and an allowance for Grayson to bring the bookbag to school.”

“We have appreciated the opportunity to meet with the Bruce family and discuss the issues. We sincerely regret that the issue of being told to leave the bookbag at home was perceived as blaming Grayson. While that was not the intent, the perception became reality. We support Grayson bringing the bookbag to school.” the statement said.

It turns out that the school didn’t have a ban on all things My Little Pony related, (like they do with toy guns) nor were they conducting some sort of War on Bronies. In this case, they apparently felt that a boy with such a book bag was likely to get the snot beaten out of him by other young boys and they were going to protect him by keeping him and his bag out of school. Is that a good policy? Joyner’s take:

Yes, it’s wrong to bully a little boy for wearing a backpack marketed to little girls. (My five-year-old daughter loves My Little Pony, especially Rainbow Dash.) And, yes, the ban was effectively blaming the victim. But the fact of the matter is that kids of that age can be vicious, bullying and mob behavior here was quite predictable, and it’s impossible for teachers to be everywhere at once. It was just easier to tell Grayson to leave the backpack at home, removing the immediate catalyst.

Schools do this sort of thing all the time and have forever. For decades now, schools have banned clothing with potentially inflammatory messages or even banned wearing hats and other clothing in colors locally associated with various street gangs. The fact that people ought not react viciously to other people’s free expression is outweighed, especially with children, by the probability that they will.

It’s hard to tell from the coverage precisely what the parents were thinking when they agreed to send Grayson off to class with that bag. I suppose it’s possible that they felt they were striking a blow for gender neutrality. (Unisex bathrooms in public school, anyone?) Or maybe they just weren’t paying attention and didn’t notice that their boy was setting himself up as a target. A far less likely scenario is that the parents were taking a page out of Johnny Cash’s book, based on his song, A Boy Named Sue.

Father: You’re letting him go to school with THAT book bag?

Mother: Well, you said he should learn to fight. I reckon that’ll do it.

Anyone who went to public school back in the day and dealt with the various groups of boys there knows how that story ends. A less gentle approach to the question might find that it would turn out to be a teachable moment for the kid no matter how it ended. But I suppose I agree with Joyner, at least to a point. If the parents can’t recognize an invitation to a whooping when they see one, maybe it wasn’t so out of line for the school to step in before Grayson wound up black and blue on the playground. Of course, given the litigious nature of our society, the school was going to wind up losing on this one anyway. And now that the parents have turned their son’s situation into a national news story, he’s probably toast out near the swing sets when he goes back anyway.

This wasn’t a case for new government action, changes in rules or forcing a bend in the social order. This was a situation which could have been avoided with a little common sense, but I’m afraid that ship has already sailed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Indeed. What the heck’s wrong with you, OliverB?

Inkblots on March 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM

He is too nice most of the time.

arnold ziffel on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

When I was 9 I had a Rat Patrol lunchbox.

This country is going to hell in a hand-basket.

trigon on March 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Hey! So did I! I also had a 007 lunch box.. the original! Made of hard cold steel! Those were the days!

Now as for this kid.. I blame the mom! Who let this kid watch that show in the first place! For the love of God! Where is dad?!

JellyToast on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

BigGator5 on March 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Er… sorry about that.

Jazz Shaw on March 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM

A , Jazz it was 80 and blue skies on the south west coast today .
Too much effort to get out of the pool to go boating .
Jealous much ?

Lucano on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Perhaps you should homeschool and stop using the “second” wage to pay for private school…your children may learn proper grammar…not to mention, correct punctuation…

ladyingray on March 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Not to pick nits, but I think you mean “not to mention correct punctuation”.

You’re welcome!

Trafalgar on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I disagree with Jazz on this one. Do I find it ill-advised for a 9-year-old boy to carry a My Little Pony bookbag to school? Yes. Should the school ban him from doing so? Definitely not. Schoolchildren need to be taught that they don’t have the right to beat up other people because of their choices in fashion or school accessories.

Suppose that the boy was not actually a My Little Pony fan, but he had received the bookbag as a hand-me-down from his older sister and his family couldn’t afford to buy him another one. Would the school have banned him from carrying the bag in that case, even if it made him a target for bullies? I doubt it. So why should the school ban him from carrying the same bookbag because he does like it?

J.S.K. on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Bg is conservative enough but unfortunately always also brings her sour pickle self with.

arnold ziffel on March 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Or he’s just 9 years old, kind of naive and not very social, and thought the ponies were cute. Not everything is about gender identity politics, especially at that age. We used to say: it’s just a phase, he’ll grow out of it. Of course, the parents are idiots.

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I watched a video of him answering questions on camera at his kitchen table while sitting next to his mom right when this became “national news”. Found it on the Blaze a week or so ago.

He seemed very outgoing, not at all shy in front of the huge Media camera, and very…articulate. At least when it came to a certain phrase that described why he liked the show and why he couldn’t understand why others would pick on him for doing so. That is the best that I can put it.

I honestly do not care about the bag, the kid, or the school’s response. You are fooling yourself if you think ANYTHING in the national media that focuses on boy/girls acting “differently” is “not about gender identity politics” though. Why else would anyone care about this story??

Mord on March 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

If the kid was a little further south, out of the Asheville area, he’d likely be ridiculed, moderately beaten and teased incessantly. If he is Asheville he’ll fit right in. Queer as he’ll folks up that way. Fruit loopy.

Bmore on March 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I disagree with Shaw on this one.

If the kid wants to bring a pony book bag to school, he should be able to do so without getting the soup beat out of him daily, or without non stop verbal abuse…

TigerPaw on March 22, 2014 at 5:17 PM

You chose the word ‘should’ correctly. No 9 year old boy ‘could’ bring a pink pony bag to public school without non stop verbal abuse.

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Hell, dang iPad thingy!

Bmore on March 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Maybe Grayson Bruce is learning to ride horses, and has a pony. Although a boy carrying a pink book bag could be bullied, it’s not up to the school to ban pink for boys. Maybe his Dad should get him a Lone Ranger book bag.

But if he does get bullied for “My Little Pony” ,Grayson Bruce might end up with a Gruesome Bray.

Steve Z on March 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM

The whole thing is a nightmare and the only innocent person in all of this is the little kid!

Moms lets him watch a girl’s cartoon and buys him a girl’s backpack and send him off to school.. like shark bait in a tank full Great Whites and then is shocked! Just shock and appalled at the outcome!

I’d like to hear the story about how some school somewhere actually dealt severely with a real trouble maker.

JellyToast on March 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Although the term “Blue Ridge” is sometimes applied exclusively to the eastern edge or front range of the Appalachian Mountains, the geological definition of the Blue Ridge province extends westward to the Ridge and Valley area, encompassing the Great Smoky Mountains, the Great Balsams, the Roans, the Brushy Mountains (a “spur” of the Blue Ridge) and other mountain ranges.
Murphy9 on March 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM
++++++++++
But the point that you and other provincials (heh) are missing is that Appalchia INCLUDES the Blue Ridge and the Smokies:

” The United States Geological Survey (USGS) defines the Appalachian Highlands physiographic division as consisting of thirteen provinces: the Atlantic Coast Uplands, Eastern Newfoundland Atlantic, Maritime Acadian Highlands, Maritime Plain, Notre Dame and Mégantic Mountains, Western Newfoundland Mountains, Piedmont, **Blue Ridge, Valley and Ridge**, Saint Lawrence Valley, Appalachian Plateaus, New England province, and the Adirondack provinces”

and this:

“The Great Smoky Mountains are a mountain range rising along the Tennessee–North Carolina border in the southeastern United States. They are a **subrange of the Appalachian Mountains**, and form part of the Blue Ridge Physiographic Province.”

fabrexe on March 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Mord on March 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Didn’t see that video, but just because he’s articulate doesn’t mean he hangs out with the cool kids. I agree it’s about gender politics for the adults, and probably the other boys teasing him (although they would just say he’s a sissy, or whatever word they’re using nowadays). The boy in question though, not necessarily.

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM

sharrukin on March 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM

You are bordering on sedition here!

Almost every “over the top” story I’ve read lately was generated by a failure to simply talk about the problem with the persons involved; instead, officials jump to the most extreme option (calling the police for instance; at least the little boy was not escorted out of class in handcuffs for being a danger to the rest of the school).

On the other hand, an awful lot of parents won’t listen to reasonable requests from the school, and (as someone mentioned above), administrators get sued either way.

So, it would be nice if they at least got sued for doing the right thing.

AesopFan on March 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

When I was in like first or second grade, my (Liberal) parents were getting divorced, and I became for the first time a “latch key kid.” So on the first day of this, my mother ties the key around my neck and tells me that I must absolutely not lose this key or I’m screwed. I’m so young that I can barely comprehend all this. So what does this clueless woman use to tie it around my neck with? A pink ribbon. I kid you not. I spent the entire day being half strangled to death by the very key that I was told my life practically depended on.

Thanks mom. No wonder I’m so demented today.

Anyway, it was a mistake I didn’t make twice.

WhatSlushfund on March 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM

They showed the actual bag the kid brought to school on The Blaze and it was blue, not pink like the one in the picture.

FloatingRock on March 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM

sharrukin:

“Banning is the problem. Simply telling the kid and the parents about the schools concerns about bullying would have been fine, but then leave it up to them to decide.”

Get outtahere with that common sense stuff, sharrukin! This is the public education system we’re talking about!

FOAF on March 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM

AesopFan on March 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Common sense just isn’t that common anymore. Everything is about rights and lawsuits.

sharrukin on March 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I tend to agree with the idea that the parents are to blame for this becoming a national story by going to the media. There are some things that you parents should go to the mattresses for- overing young Grayson condoms without his parents knowing about it, for example, would be one of those things for me.

But to wage thermonuclear war over a pink backpack? This smacks of parents who think their little snowflake is perfect and the entire system should bend to his desire to express his Broniness to the world.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

WhatSlushfund on March 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Oh man, that’s bad, really bad. I hope you forgave her for her man-hating phase. Life is too short to spend it blaming your parents for a lifetime of dementia.

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Wonder what book bag the child carried last year. Be all the PC you want to be but at that age he is going to get his butt kicked or called names. His parents are setting him up to become a victim.

Hard to believe there are no backpacks that are less flamingly feminine that might appeal to a 4th grader boy. If we were talking about a toddler it might be understandable but the boy is 9 – not 3 or 4.

katiejane on March 22, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I do hope his parents teach him to stand up to bullies.

TigerPaw on March 22, 2014 at 5:17 PM

It is different for boys than it is for girls.(just as there is a difference between Men/Women at a later and more mature age) I would try to explain it but would end up sounding stupid. Just one point I would like to make. A girl who liked “boy stuff” had an instant, and large, circle of potential friends. “Brony-Boy”, not so much.

Also, it is pretty rare for a one-on-one “bully” confrontation. That only happens in movies. There are always support teams for bullies because they are inherently cowards with a personality. (at least from the male adolescent point of view)

Mord on March 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM

WhatSlushfund on March 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Hating men is only one of her many, many mental problems. Long story. In this particular case though, I don’t think it was a symptom of her hating men. I think she was just genuinely clueless.

WhatSlushfund on March 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Everyone who has made a comment against the kid or his parents is a full blown retard. Not everything needs to been seen through the prism of some liberal BS. Just because he likes MLP doesn’t make him gay, weird or anything else. Bringing his MLP bag to school shows he has the balls to say “I like this” and be different from everyone else. What the school did was to punish the victim. We wouldn’t put up with that in regular society so why in school? Assume for the moment the kid is gay and thats why he likes MLP…. why should it matter if he gets targeted with violence by others. Society demands that one person not harm another except in self defense. The victim should not and cannot be punished and that extends to school. Furthermore, just because the parents let him go to school with a MLP bag doesn’t mean they’re trying to make him gay or gender neutral or something. Maybe its as simple as “I don’t understand it but I’m going to let me son express himself”. That is normal and healthy. For the record I’m a 27 year old straight male in a healthy relationship with a woman and guess what I like MLP, why? Because is smartly written, well animated and reaches beyond its demo. You know what else I like Power Rangers, Batman, Transformers, South Park and a whole host of other things. Should I be defined by my one interest in one show that is primarily aimed at little girls? No. No more then the Duck Dynasty guys (love that show btw). They like to hunt and kill living breathing animals all the time as a sport, does that make them vicious angry men? Hardly. Probably the nicest people on the planet. I bet most of you who hate this kid and MLP won’t agree with a thing I said so I’ll leave the rest of it to Glenn Beck the kid’s mother and the kid in question: http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/03/19/watch-9-year-old-bullied-for-liking-my-little-pony-joins-glenn-in-studio/

Optimus Prime on March 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

It isn’t pink, it’s blue. They interviewed the kid and his mother on The Blaze and he brought the actual backpack, which was blue and doesn’t look anything like the pink one HotAir posted.

FloatingRock on March 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Optimus Prime on March 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I’m worried that Bronies are going to be the future Brownshirts.

BoxHead1 on March 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I haven’t carefully read the comments, but I do want to join those defending him for wearing a “girly” backpack. It may be true that he should reasonably expect teasing or bullying from his peers, given their young age, but that doesn’t change the fact that if he wants to wear that backpack, then he should be able to.

To clarify, I am a male fan of the show myself, and I can tell you that this latest iteration of My Little Pony (subtitled “Friendship is Magic) is almost definitely not nearly as “girly” as many of you probably imagine it is. In fact, I’d actually say it’s one of the most wholesome things on television right now as far as teaching kids good lessons is concerned.

that guy on March 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM

FloatingRock on March 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Okay, fine, it was blue. Still not the issue that I would (as the parent) choose to go to the media about.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Sorry – OT ^

I realize that the young Bronie was the one discriminated against. I just don’t trust Bronies. I think they are more sinister then they appear to be.

BoxHead1 on March 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM

It is different for boys than it is for girls

Mord on March 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Not in this gender-neutral world the left is trying to create. Now that the gals are able to go into combat jobs, the Army is desperately trying to figure out a way to cook the physical requirements testing to make it happen. Good men serving this nation in combat are going to die because the good female serving next to him is a warrior in name only.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I think they are more sinister thenthan they appear to be. grammar fail

It’s a large movement. There are many Bronies and more coming. It frightens me.

BoxHead1 on March 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Optimus Prime on March 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Who is “hating on the kid”? Most people I see are saying “don’t blame the victim” or the equivalent of “How could nobody see that this kid would inevitably be harassed by other 9 year olds that do not posses the same cultural and behavioral tolerances that you can only understand through a long process of cultural indoctrination”?

Mord on March 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM

BoxHead1 on March 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Mal-adjusted to be sure but until Chris Hansen catches a bunch of Bronies, it is probably unfair to call them sinister.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Optimus Prime on March 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM

A voice of reason . Thank you .

Lucano on March 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I see them as the vanguard of a new fascist technocracy. Or not … but if it ends up that a Bronie drags you out of your house for crimes against the superstate, remember who warned you :)

BoxHead1 on March 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM

FloatingRock on March 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Found the blaze story. Not quite as glittery, but a 9 year old would call it baby blue.

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Not to pick nits, but I think you mean “not to mention correct punctuation”.

You’re welcome!

Trafalgar on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

That’s not how we do it here in America. –>

“not to mention correct punctuation.”

texacalirose on March 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Well, if all of our conflict-resolution training teaches us anything, it’s that the correct response to this is to just ban all of the other boys from the school. Pre-emptively. Since we know that they’ll mistreat this little special snowflake (else why would they feel the need to take any action?). Everybody wins. After all, those other boys are probably too rambunctious to pay attention in school anyway without their daily Ritalin, and they’ll probably just grow up to enlist in the military anyway…

/s

bofh on March 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM

It isn’t even “neutral” anymore. Just being Male makes you suspect unless you try and “break the stereotype” by looking and acting more Female. I pity the children who have to grow up in such a schizophrenic society. They get caught up in stories like this poor Bronie kid or they have to share a public bathroom in MA public schools with anyone who self-declares that gender is an outdated concept.

For the first time in my life, I am not sorry that I never had children and I also worry that this feeling will spread.

Mord on March 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Fenris on March 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I had to laugh at this part of your link.

Turns out that Grayson’s a fan of the cartoon and its characters — and for that he’s been bullied at at his North Carolina school where his classmates say “My Little Pony” is for girls.

His classmates are actually right! Not that any of this nonsense justifies bullying Grayson he isn’t their target demographic by a wide shot. To include the line that the classmates might be wrong about this fact is absurd.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM

The boy obviously needs a whoopin, but not in a malevalent way, but as a way of helping him to grow up.

How did the parents let their nine-year drift off course so bad?

Might as well get a jump on the sex-change operation while they are at it. O-care covers that doesn’t it?

KirknBurker on March 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM

FloatingRock on March 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

You’re correct – the bag the child is carrying is not nearly as feminine as the one posted here at HA but it is actually more immature. Perhaps the parents should be more concerned about the boy’s maturity than about any gender issues. it looks like a book bag for a preschooler not a 9 year old. If he is delayed in his emotional development opening him to teasing/bullying/whatever seems a bad idea.

katiejane on March 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I’m pretty sure this is about deconstructing gender identification, the greater acceptance of homosexuality in society depends on there being no significant gender identification in the majority of the population. Sexual intercourse has to just be sex, not gender related or defined.

oscarwilde on March 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Yeah… no. Look, he’s a kid, and it’s a cartoon, so why can’t he like it? In fact, it’s a cartoon that promotes the kind of behavior we all want kids to learn, so… why shouldn’t he like it again? He’s wearing a blue backpack, not clamoring to wizz in the girl’s room.

Are girls not allowed to like Transformers, or comic books? I think there are differences between the genders, and I dislike the idea of trying to force a measure of feminization on boys, but for the love of Pete, you’re close to going full retard.

Speaking as someone who knows several Marines and a grizzled E-8 who like the show, I think I can say that liking it doesn’t preclude a level of bloodthirstiness or manliness.

What I find ironic is that the level of gender segregation and social control you seem to be advocating here is more reminiscent of a Wahhabi society than a Western one. “What, shoes, woman? Next ye shall tell me thou wantest to vote!!”

Honestly, if the kid grows up, gets a job, pays his taxes, and is a generally law-abiding citizen, what does it matter if he thought a show about horses was cute?

Besides, everyone knows horses make people happy.

Alpha Echo on March 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Let’s get this 9-year old on the couch with pajama boy and some hot cocoa to….you guessed it…film the next O-care web advertisment.

KirknBurker on March 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

In school, I was bullied horribly for a very long time by a rogue’s gallery of horrid little turds. My crime? I was the odd kid. I was smart, and worse, nerdy, and I liked things that were slightly outside the mainstream. (Other kids were reading Tiger Beat, I was reading Smithsonian Magazine…) So I speak from experience as That Kid Who Stands Out.

Anyone who thinks the solution to this problem is to have the kid bring his backpack to school is condoning and enabling the kind of behavior that made a good chunk of my childhood absolutely miserable. Being bullied is not “just a fact of life.” It does not confer any benefits upon or “toughen up” its victims. To mistreat someone because they don’t fit some narrow-minded and shallow definition of “normal” is the sign of a warped mind, and should be dealt with accordingly.

Do I sound bitter? I probably am. I would be punished for trying to stand up for myself, while my tormentors were rewarded for their sociopathic behavior. Here’s a novel idea, academia: Punish the perp, not the victim. It’s just a stupid backpack.

Optimus Prime on March 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM

*golf clap*

DangerHighVoltage on March 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

And I also fail at grammar…

Anyone who thinks the solution to this problem is to have the kid NOT bring his backpack to school

DangerHighVoltage on March 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Why would carrying a my little pony bag pack be an invitation to bullying. When I send my kids to school I send them to learn. My number rule is keep your hand to yourself. You see a dress a girl is wearing you don’t like, we’ll though, she is not wearing it to keep you warm. A boy bring my little pony bag to school and it bugs you, we’ll though, you are not the one carrying it, so why does it bother you so much. I have watched my little pony and I am not a child. I love that show. It is super funny.

When I was a kid I loved gi joe. Loved it. I wanted to be fighting cobra commander. I had a Spider-Man lunch Paul. To think that I was a kid in America at that time, I would have had the crap beat out of me, because girls are not suppose to love boy stuff. I will count my blessing. So a boy liking a well made show that is perceived to be for girls does not say anything about the boy other than he has good taste, but it does say a lot about the kids who though that liking thing that girls like should make you a target for beating.

Every time I think women are making progress in the world, cases like these remind me that men and the boys they are raising still see women as inferior to them. Liking the stuff we like make a man less than perfect. And than I get sad.

coolrepublica on March 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Just maybe…we should be banning the beating up of fellow students, rather than certain bookbags.

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM

My husband told me there is no father jn the picture, do that is probably the main problem. But if my son wanted to take a mlp backpack to school, his sisters would have ragged him unmercifully, but if he still wanted to do it, we would have let him. It would only last one day. Fortunately, our son was all male, and would never have even thought of doing that. His mother should be slapped into next week.

megthered on March 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM

KirknBurker on March 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Pajama boy should be there, for sure, but Ellen should really being the one selling Obamacare. And she’s gay! It’s all about the gays these days.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Should he get bullied- Absolutely not!

Will he get bullied – Absolutely!

Children get bulled for much less. That is reality, and parents need to start protecting their children by teaching them how to deal with bullying. Elementary school is as unstressful as it gets in life.

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Nomad:

“Just FYI, rants about tolerance are generally more effective if you don’t start them by calling others retards.”

Thank you. It’s like libs calling rightists “teabaggers” while screaming about “homophobia”.

FOAF on March 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

oscarwilde on March 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Wow. You got all that from a backpack with a picture of a pony on it.

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I think you’re ignoring the next step in all of this. My guess is that for the 2014-2015 academic year bookbags in Buncombe County Schools shall not have images, patches, or logos of any sort on them.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Wrong.

Boys didn’t hit girls. Period. End of story.

coolrepublica on March 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Oh Dear God, the crime that men and boys like being men and boys!
When will the long national nightmare be over?

sharrukin on March 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

ladyingray on March 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Perhaps you should learn to read. As I said in my post:

“MY WIFE AND I HOMESCHOOL OUR KIDS!”

You inability to read ALL CAPS is your own personal failure. Additionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the grammar or sentence construction in my post, which is quoted in its entirety below. Your inability to follow a thought longer than a tweet to its conclusion is your own personal failure, not mine. If you need Cliffs Notes, go elsewhere.

? Sad that you think this way.
cptacek on March 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Sad that you’re so blind. As an example of how much parents want to ‘be with their kids’ nowadays, 70+% of black babies are born to a single parent and raised that way. Somehow you seem to have missed reality in our society. Parents too often don’t want to be with their kids and complain to the heavens when their local babysitting agency…ahem, public school…is closed. That’s a strike against their character, and against yours for denying the obvious.

Not to pick nits, but I think you mean “not to mention correct punctuation”.
You’re welcome!
Trafalgar on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

My post was properly constructed. Considering I’ve successfully written and defended a doctoral dissertation, I’m confident in my ability to express my points in writing, thank you.

Additionally, those who spend time on forums correcting the writing of others really, really, REALLY need a mirror and some time for self-reflection as to the way they spend their time.

My original post:

“Maybe” it wasn’t “so out of line” for the school to step in? Really? :massive facepalm:
As a conservative, traditional, Christian dad, I know better than to expect the public schools to follow MY standards, WHICH IS WHY MY WIFE AND I HOMESCHOOL OUR KIDS! When you send your kid off to the public school system, you give up a great deal of control over what is and is not acceptable behavior for your child (AND STOP COMPLAINING AND SEND THEM ELSEWHERE IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT, LIKE I DO, sacrificing one parent’s entire salary to do just that), including quite broadly in the areas of clothing (you can’t dress like a whore or gang member; deal with it!), speech (you can’t cuss out your peers or adults; deal with it!), movement (you can’t be here/there/anywhere you want during the school day, you have to be there/here/somewhere else now, for class/assembly/lunch/bus ride home; deal with it!), physicality (you can’t punch/push/hug/kiss here; deal with it!), curriculum (we’re not teaching this/that/the other thing here, so you’ll have to study that at home/church/synagogue/mosque; deal with it!), etc., etc.
This kid is not a ‘victim’ of the public school because they asked him to leave a bag at home. The school has to work with the ‘cards’ (students) which are in their ‘hand’ (at their school). That includes many, many, many, MANY kids whose parent(s) do not give a flying rip about their child’s behavior, dress, academic progress, or the like and simply see the public system as a laundromat to clean and press their incorrigible child and correct for the lousy parenting their provide outside of school while providing a taxpayer subsidized babysitting service (and God forbid you close school for inclement weather. After all, THOSE PARENTS DON’T WANT TO BE WITH THEIR KIDS during the day!). If schools are going to be able to teach at all, these kinds of silly distractions (and it is indeed a FRIGGING BOOK BAG after all) need to be kept to a minimum, so the focus can hopefully be on education, not stamping out behavioral fires right and left.
The parents are ultimately to blame, because their kid wouldn’t be a “My Little Pony” addict if they weren’t letting TV and/or the Internet addict him to cartoon marketing. And if you don’t like your local school’s ‘zero tolerance’ policies, you’re to blame (as a member of the public), because it’s people like you (and others) who sue the schools over the consequences incurred by your kids, forcing schools to use NO JUDGMENT AT ALL so as to avoid the appearance of bias or partiality in their enforcement and thereby to escape onerous financial damage through idiotic lawsuits.
You get what you deserve, America. Enjoy it.
xNavigator on March 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I stand by it. When you send your child to a public school, you outsource parenting and educating your child to strangers. If you’re willing to do that, don’t complain about the results or their lack of agreement with your perspective. Seek other options.

xNavigator on March 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Clinton Will Advise Schools on Uniforms
By ALISON MITCHELL
Published: February 25, 1996

In the name of putting “discipline and learning back in our schools” President Clinton instructed the Federal Education Department today to distribute manuals to the nation’s 16,000 school districts advising them how they can legally enforce a school uniform policy.

“If it means that teen-agers will stop killing each other over designer jackets,” the President said in his weekly radio address, “then our public schools should be able to require their students to require school uniforms.” He repeated the theme in a series of appearances throughout the day, expanding on an idea he mentioned in passing in his State of the Union message.

If it means that the schoolrooms will be more orderly, more disciplined,” Mr. Clinton said, “and that our young people will learn to evaluate themselves by what they are on the inside instead of what they’re wearing on the outside, then our public schools should be able to require their students to wear school uniforms.”

Clinton solved this problem nearly 20 years ago, if you count clear backpacks as his idea.

Murphy9 on March 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I’m sorry, but the kid is a degenerate. He’ll grow up to be one of those men that cry….

OliverB on March 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Nice, but you forgot the sarc tag.

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

The kid is getting bullied — by his parents. He is being exploited to promote a liberal gender agenda, and it breaks my heart to see it. Far too many lib parents see their children as vehicles for political points first, and the sweet little human beings they are second.

Rational Thought on March 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I agree with Sharrukin that the school shouldn’t have banned it, but I also agree with why they interceded. Being different in this world gets noticed. If your child wants to be distinctive- fine, but be prepared with the reality of the situation. Too many people deal in how the world SHOULD be that they don’t teach their children how it is.

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Oh Dear God, the crime that men and boys like being men and boys!
When will the long national nightmare be over?

sharrukin on March 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Boys are not allowed to act like boys anymore. If they do, it gets them diagnosed with a medical condition and put on medication.

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

True enough.

It’s getting nuttier every year. Parents and teachers don’t want to be bothered with children so they drug them and then expect them to ever be normal?

sharrukin on March 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I agree with melle….go figure. =)

bazil9 on March 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM

coolrepublica on March 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I was a tomboy as well…never had a problem either.
But it is different with males..just reality.

bazil9 on March 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I agree with melle….go figure. =)

bazil9 on March 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Great minds and all that. :)

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Great minds and all that. :)

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

=)

bazil9 on March 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Oh Dear God, the crime that men and boys like being men and boys!
When will the long national nightmare be over?

sharrukin on March 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I’ll assume you mean act like stereotypical boys. Me, I’m fine if boys act like stereotypical boys or act like stereotypical girls. I wouldn’t make a son of mine bring a My Little Pony backpack to school, but if that’s the one he wants I’d tell him, “Cool…”

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM

If he gets the snot beat out of him, he probably won’t be doing it for long, and the school would be on solid ground punishing the kids doing the beating.

Count to 10 on March 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM

You get what you deserve, America. Enjoy it.

xNavigator on March 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM

*nods*

*pauses and ponders*

*applauds*

kim roy on March 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Rational Thought on March 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I’m surprised that not everyone here saw this immediately. Absolutely crystal clear.

anuts on March 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM

After all, THOSE PARENTS DON’T WANT TO BE WITH THEIR KIDS during the day!

? Sad that you think this way.

cptacek on March 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM

OP is correct. Haven’t you seen/heard the wails of anguish when the dayca…. sorry schools are closed due to weather and it’s this great inconvenience to the parents?

kim roy on March 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Yes, I mean stereotypical boys. I am glad you are a much more enlightened parent then me. If my son had wanted My little Pony, I would have cautioned him that he would be a target for bullying, and then if he insisted- I would have had his Dad teach him how to fight.

melle1228 on March 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM

This was nothing more than a political stunt. A Wendy Davis type nothingburger with bland sauce and a touch of ghey.

Americans need to stand for what we are. Strong, Determined, Self Sufficient, Full of Integrity and Graciousness.

The Obamedia is creating these stunts to distract us from the fact that he is systematically dismantling everything we’ve ever been and/or done.

If a “boy” wants to carry a “My Little Pony” bookbag to skoo, let him do it. If I were his peer I’d point and laugh.

I blame the mother and the permanently aggrieved class – mainly the mother.

Key West Reader on March 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM

lol, yeah Ashville is the Boulder, CO of The Appalachians Blue Ridge Smokey Mountains. Neat town with some great restaurants, but full of patchouli wearing scabies vectors.

Murphy9 on March 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Wrong mtn range.

Murphy9 on March 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Twice, in fact.

NOW, it’s correct.

;-)

Solaratov on March 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Hence, you would set your son up to be a laughingstock. Your choice.

Key West Reader on March 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

When my son was about 4 1/2 years old, he started telling me how “special” he was…

At about the same time in the 1990′s “special” was the prog word for mentally challenged.

It took one sitting down at breakfast to explain what progtard talk is. He’s never licked a window again thank God.

Key West Reader on March 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I used to wonder, when I was actually a school kid myself, how some of those kids who drew the kind of ridicule and physical abuse the school feared would become Grayson’s fate if he carried that bookbag ended up making those ill fated decisions in the first place.

Everyone who is even minimally aware of their surroundings and their peer group at school knows the score. It takes a kid who is either hopelessly obtuse, unacquainted with self awareness, or disconnected from reality, to misjudge the reaction of his peers in regard to appearance and behavior issues. So I had always thought that those kids who did invite that sort of attention were either so starved for attention that any attention, even the unpleasant sort, was the goal, or they were just rugged individualists who were so obstinate that they would choose enduring that unpleasant attention to make their point, or their parents didn’t like them much and dressed them funny.

It never occurred to me that the parents were actually the one’s so starved for attention that they’d deliberately encourage the kid to act out in a way that guaranteed unpleasant attention in order to garner that attention for themselves through their kid.

All of this could have been easily avoidable of Grayson’s parents had sat him down, presented him with a very good quality book bag that was more suitable for him to blend in at school, and explained that they loved him and this expression of his love of his hobby with ‘My Little Pony’ was better suited for his private life, where hobbies belong, rather than his public life as a student. They could have used that moment to draw the distinction one makes between one’s hobby and private life and one’s work and public life and this may have aided him in maturing.

Instead, Grayson’s parents have had their fifteen minutes of fame.

As it is, Grayson is going to learn those life lessons the hard way and his regard for his parents may well be informed by the experience.

thatsafactjack on March 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Twice, in fact.

NOW, it’s correct.

;-)

Solaratov on March 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Smoky holmes. Smoky. And its been rehashed about 10x.

Asheville North Carolina in the Blue Ridge Mountains

That mtn range is more of a continuum than discreet.

Murphy9 on March 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM

bmmg39 on March 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM

But you’d probably be smart enough to warn your son that some kids can be monsters and he’ll probably get comments and to be prepared.

Of course this *shouldn’t* happen, but it does and it always has – it was bad when I was a kid and can only imagine how ugly it has become with all this “special snowflake” and lack of responsibility or socialization out there.

kim roy on March 22, 2014 at 8:16 PM

megthered on March 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Exactly. The unspoken theme to this story is a boy being feminized by his mother because he is without a positive male role model. Gender roles are a good thing! You don’t yield to your child’s whims when you know they will be damaging – both to the child and society.
“What’s that son? You say you want to wear makeup? Absolutely, precious, you should be able to express yourself! And you say you want to mince around like a sissy? Well, the great men of history didn’t…not that there’s anything wrong with it… you go ahead and be who you want to be!”

Nature dictates that submissive men create a vacuum and invite domination by those who more effectively wield the male principle. See Obama and Putin.

If you want to fix America and the West, go back to teaching civics and gender roles.

ceruleanblue on March 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM

GirlyBagGate.

Brought to you by the Barack Hussein Obama Media and Propaganda Outlet.

/Don’t be bossy

Key West Reader on March 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM

ceruleanblue on March 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM

If you want to fix America, parents should teach those things. Don’t outsource your responsibility to the public school, which is a tool wielded by the state and not by the parent.

America is messed up because the family unit is failing across the country. Too many parent(s) have abdicated their proper role to others, whether out of irresponsibility, laziness, poor choices on their own part, or whatever excuse is in vogue at the moment.

xNavigator on March 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM

xNavigator on March 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Quite paradoxically, if civics were taught, the State wouldn’t have the influence it has over our local schools.

ceruleanblue on March 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM

What’s all the hubbub about?

When this kid gets all Gussied up for school in
the morning, he’ll have the proper accessories.

ToddPA on March 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I remember going to school at that age in the 60′s with my “Man From Uncle” camera that converted to a pistol and radio that converted to a machine gun. Guaranteed that gets me arrested today. Not to mention I had the full “Monkee Patrol” combat line (helmet, vest, etc.) that would have got me a trip to sensitivity training for sure.

teacherman on March 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM

ceruleanblue on March 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Actually, the truly paradoxical idea (or, might I say more appropriately, the ridiculously foolish idea) is to leave to the state the job of teaching the proper roles, responsibilities, rights, limitations, and the like of the state and the citizen in our country. You might as well ask the fox to teach the hens.

Parents need to quit outsourcing parenting. Train and rear your children. Don’t outsource their most important formative years to strangers who, frankly, do NOT share your values.

xNavigator on March 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM

thuja on March 22, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Madison County? Familiar with Hot Springs?

Just curious.

cs89 on March 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM

No boy/man should be bullied over his legitimately owned private property. If the kid gets physically attacked over his bookbag, then a good teacher would take attacker(s) aside and teach them about letting others be.

NorthernCross on March 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM

thatsafactjack on March 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM

My parents raised me to view superficial things like styles of dress were irrelevant, and that giving in to any heckling I received from the other kids would be a major character flaw.
So, I had my socks pulled up to their full lengths, while the other sixth graders kept trying to pull them down. Go figure.

Count to 10 on March 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM

megthered on March 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Father figures are important not only for boys such as Grayson Bruce, but also for potential bullies as the following story suggests.

This is the mysterious case of the rhinos, and I’m not talking about the hotgas staff. There were these rhinos that game wardens kept finding dead for no obvious explicable reason on this particular game preserve. Eventually it came to light that they were being killed for no other.reason than fun by the young male elephants in the preserve. The elephants would pick up large branches with their trunks and beat the rhinos to death. The game wardens were no dummies, and they speculated that the behavior might be related to the fact that there were no adult male elephants in the herd. Armed with this hypothesis, they rounded up fully grown bull elephants from various preserves and introduced them to the herd. Not surprisingly, the adult elephants quickly put the young bucks in their place and the rhino killings stopped. I found the story interesting when I read it, and yes, it’s a true story. And btw, a Father’s influence is important for the raising of a daughter as well of course.

I had a Spider-Man lunch Paul

coolrepublica on March 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM.

That’s very interesting, but don’t call me Paul, my Grandfather’s name was Paul.

But seriously, to all you lunchboxers out there I have two words for you…piss off.

I not only had to brown bag it for lunch, I had to often re-use it until it was all wrinkly and had grease stains on it. And to top it off, my Mother would put my name on it, so when it sat there on the counter next to all the shiny lunch boxes, everyone knew exactly who’s lunch that was. And heaven forbid we ran out of paper bags, because then I would be walking to school with my lunch in an old bread bag. Needless to say, I would have given my right arm for a lunch box.

weathermen on March 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I consider myself a brony and enjoy the show.

The original show was marketed to little girls, yes, and was of no interest to me as a teen. The new show is quite a bit more sophisticated.

Plus the fan-made ripoffs are hilarious.

I think the school made the right call. The kid has the right to take an MLP bookbag to school, and it’s in his court to win acceptance from the other kids. It CAN be done.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell2 on March 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

There are so many reason in this story for responsible parents to educate their own children and keep them out of state-run institutions.

Another Libertarian on March 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM

weathermen @ 10:29

Sorry to hear that, but I don’t remember any social consequences if you brown bagged it. You must have gone to school with some real pr!cks.

teacherman on March 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM

This is the lesson I want the kid to learn, were I his parent:

Kids are pack creatures. They pick on people who stand out for any reason — too smart, too short, too poor, too rich.

The job of any kid is to figure out just how much BS they’re willing to tolerate, and to pick their battles. To what extent are you willing to be a social outcast to be different, and to what extent are you willing to give stuff up so you won’t get grief about it?

What’s more — it’s up to you to work this out with the other kids. Yes, you’ve got a right to carry a backpack to school. But that doesn’t mean you should spend your entire time hiding behind the teachers and expect them to fight your battles for you. You’ve got to convince the kids to accept you, and that means showing there’s more to you than a bookbag.

Become football team captain and lead a winning season, for example, no one’s going to care about your bookbag. In fact, it might even become cool.

Rights come with responsibilities. The kid has the *right* to carry the bookbag. He has the *responsibility* to minimize the workload on the teachers by not constantly putting himself into situations where he needs their intervention.

I’m not saying he needs to give up the bookbag. I’m saying he’s going to have to apply some cleverness.

Also …

WRT my little pony, before making up your mind about the show, I would suggest watching at least one episode, maybe two. I would suggest “MMMystery on the Friendship Express”, which is a parody send-up of Murder on the Orient Express. It features murder mystery, ninjas, robbers, detectives, and is other ways quite cool in ways that little boys can appreciate, even if the artwork is cutesy. In someways the cuteness is a parody of itself.

MLP has an all-ages demographic appeal beyond it’s target demographic, and there is a reason for this.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell2 on March 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

This has nothing to do with a bookbag, and everything to do with Grayson’s media wh0re parents putting their own need for attention ahead of their own child’s well-being.

News flash, parents: it’s okay to use the word “no.” Be fabulous at home, and use a Spider Man bookbag.

Maddie on March 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM

How is it that Jazz manages to come down on the wrong side of every issue he writes about? Now he’s defending censorship by public sector goons? Good god, I remember now why I stopped coming here on the weekends.

thirtyandseven on March 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM

kim roy on March 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I refuse to believe that every parent in America that sends their kids to school instead of homeschooling them doesn’t want to spend time with their kid and hates being around them. In fact, I know it is wrong. I have myriad examples of that being false.

cptacek on March 22, 2014 at 11:40 PM