Organizing for Action trolls the tea party with a sweet new bumper sticker design

posted at 5:21 pm on March 21, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

I missed this yesterday, but… man.

Let’s go in for a closer look.

photo Screenshot2014-03-21at44215PM_zps6dfddfb8.png

Which of course is a play on the “Don’t Tread on Me” slogan of the original Gadsden flag, designed by Colonel Christopher Gadsden (based off of the popular “Join, or Die” rattlesnake cartoon of the time) after he presented it to to the freshly-formed U.S. Navy during the start of the Revolutionary War. As Matt Welch points out at Reason, it’s been put to a variety of symbolic uses over the years (often with accompanying complaints about its supposedly confederate/racist/terrorist implications, or something) — most recently by the tea party, which gained so much grassroots-to-national momentum largely because of ObamaCare. I think OFA might kinda’-sorta’ be missing the basic point about liberty and heavy-treading government here, no? Especially since ObamaCare already has tread on millions of Americans’ healthcare with canceled plans, skyrocketing premiums, and limited networks? Maybe?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don’t Tread on My Pinworms!

sonnyspats1 on March 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

What does a broken Slinky have to do with healthcare??

Mimzey on March 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

What does a broken Slinky have to do with healthcare??

Mimzey on March 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

It’s only..

The best present yet to give or get
The kids will all want to try.
The hit of the day when you are ready to play
Everyone knows it’s Slinky.

Flange on March 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Ithink OFA might kinda’-sorta’ be missing the basic point about liberty and heavy-treading government here, no? Especially since ObamaCare already has tread on millions of Americans’ healthcare with canceled plans, skyrocketing premiums, and limited networks? Maybe?

You mad?

righty45 on March 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Those stickers are good. They could save your car from being keyed.

David Blue on March 21, 2014 at 10:25 PM

You mad?

righty45 on March 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Your fellow leftist piece of human trash is mad, bro.

What I’ve learned after a three-month war with these fiends: the ACA says the insurance companies cannot deny coverage to those with pre-existing conditions, which is true as far as it goes. But they can deny coverage for the life-saving medications necessary to treat those conditions. The insurance company I signed up with through the ACA exchange just denied coverage of my wife’s multiple sclerosis medication. We’re “covered,” to the tune of $700 a month…just not for what she really needs.

A cozy loophole, that.

F— you, insurance industry.

F— you, Mr. President, you piece of sh*t used-car salesman.

From my heart and soul, f— you.

Murphy9 on March 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Heh. Livin rent free in the lib minds.

oryguncon on March 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM

How did we lose elections to people this stupid? Anyway I think the sticker looks more like an Ebola virus. ObaMacare has about the same effect on America.

Harbingeing on March 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM

RDH on March 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I retract.

Appreciate your comment.

Sherman1864 on March 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM

What world do these liberals live in that they can think that this health care law is a good deal. Hell, they can’t even pay people that can say that their experience is good with the coverage that I am hearing Obamacare offer. Luckily my wife’s job has my coverage right now. My job will not even allow me to cover my wife, since she has employer provided health care.

Leopard1996 on March 22, 2014 at 12:36 AM

That sure looks like an IUD. What’s the message again?

IndieDogg on March 22, 2014 at 1:58 AM

A cozy loophole, that.

But she can get a free sex change operation.
It’s all about having the correct priorities.

talkingpoints on March 22, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I ordered one, but somehow, I couldn’t get the donation page to work right…..sigh…..

PunditPete on March 22, 2014 at 2:54 AM

Obamacare: Insurance For Bums

kregg on March 22, 2014 at 7:19 AM

This is just an example of how warped fascists really are.

zoyclem on March 22, 2014 at 7:43 AM

It’s kind of hard not to tread on Obamacare what with it falling to pieces everywhere and all.

Grammar Nazi on March 22, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Well, there’s that serpent in that symbol with the staff, about medicine…so, yeah!

brentspolemics on March 22, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Harbingeing on March 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Because they don’t teach history or critical thinking in schools any more, and there are flat-out more dummies than there are of us. Exhibit A, the uptick in Trolls here on HotAir.

Maddie on March 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM

It will look really cool next to my coexist bumper sticker on my hybrid

jaywemm on March 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Lame, really lame. The must have run out of ideas.

Kissmygrits on March 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Right, because nothing says Freedom and Self Determination like a bumbling cluster fecked totalitarian government program that intrudes into every corner of your life.

GrassMudHorsey on March 22, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Uh-oh, somebody should remind them it’s supposed to say “Affordable Healthcare,” not Obamacare. Pelosi’s gonna be mad!

ImmigrantsWife on March 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM

What is that, a tapeworm?

damage done on March 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM

What is that, a tapeworm?
damage done on March 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Which really is the perfect symbol of Obamacare!

ImmigrantsWife on March 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Verbaluce, what kind of work do you do? And what area of the country?Serious questions.

8 weight on March 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM

“I’m getting free stuff, don’t screw it up.”

Socratease on March 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I like them and think there a good idea. Because when I see one I can say, oh look at that, a mindless idiot.

Minnfidel on March 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM

A cozy loophole, that.

F— you, insurance industry.

F— you, Mr. President, you piece of sh*t used-car salesman.

From my heart and soul, f— you.

Murphy9 on March 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM

So sue. Do something about the fact you essentially were deceived into paying for something. If someone sold you a car for $500 but then actually made you pay $1000, you’d hold them accountable right?

Nutstuyu on March 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM

As this helpful IRS explainer details, Americans who go without insurance in 2014 should “make an individual shared responsibility payment with your 2014 tax return filed in 2015.”

Goebbels is sooooooo proud of these thugs.

The bolded section could not have been written as well by Goebbels himself.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2014 at 12:37 PM

“Mandate/tax = individual shared responsibility payment” — Goebbels, er leftists.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Don’t tread on my freebies! !

Jamson64 on March 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Maddie on March 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Quantity has increased, quality decreased. The trolling is very weak with these new ones.

AJsDaddie on March 22, 2014 at 1:57 PM

obama stash

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

…well, isn’t this precious….

On the one hand, you have the original Gadsden Flag being displayed by folks who want their government to stay within defined limits, so as not to morph into a tyranny…and the “new” Gadsden knock-off, for people who want their government to care for them, cradle to grave…

…thinks about it…folks who don’t want Uncle Sugar getting too big for his britches….

…and people who want to be gently rocked to sleep every night by Michelle Obama…after she’s fed them a hearty meal of oat bran and alfalfa, scrubbed them behind their ears, and read them a bedtime story from “Rules For Radicals”…”…and the big, bad Koch brother huffed and puffed and couldn’t blow down the third little free-range pigs rent-stabilized, eco-friendly, solar-heated brick home….”

…no wonder the ACA promoters went with an image of a nebbish-y looking beta-male in footy pajamas, sipping cocoa, as their poster boy…find the image…doesn’t he look like he NEEDS to be looked after?

…individualism vs. collectivism…self-sufficiency vs. subsidy…the Klingons vs. the Borg…individualists have had their snake-flag symbol…now, the lapdog and housecat generation have their flag. Fitting.

Puritan1648 on March 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Why are 17 million wasted to advertise for something that’s “so good”?

Hand that dough to the uninsured if you’re going to waste it anyway.

Heh, Drudge is doing more to deter the young, than anyone, at the perfect timing. Matt Revere of obama’care’…

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

A cozy loophole, that.

F— you, insurance industry.

F— you, Mr. President, you piece of sh*t used-car salesman.

From my heart and soul, f— you.

Something that the Left tended to conveniently gloss over and forget and still seem to is that Health Insurance is completely different from Health Care. You are now forced to purchase very, very expensive Health Coverage, but there is absolutely now no guarantee that you will receive Health Care with that coverage. You screwed yourselves so, as you so eloquently put it, “you F—ed yourself”.

Theophile on March 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Looks like an IU contraceptive device to me.

Kissmygrits on March 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Meh. How many of these are they going to sell? 12?

If they want to run on defending Obamacare, they try to co-opt the Iwo Jima photo for all I care. It’s going to get them crushed.

TexasDan on March 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Doesn’t surprise me; ObamaCare is COMMUNISM EXEMPLIFIED.

Cybergeezer on March 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

If there’s anything that screams rugged independence, it’s a 27 year old sitting on his mom’s couch in his pjs, sipping cocoa and asking for help with health insurance.

crrr6 on March 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

The schism in the US isn’t just a matter of upbringing and political whim. There really are two major divisions of human beings. As a result of biology, we have a sort of behavioral matrix imposed on us before birth. To deal with scarcity, there is an alpha-beta cycle, and a gamma type of personality.

With scarcity conditions, alpha-beta typing creates groupthink and authoritarian dominance by a strongarm leader. The members of the group are prone to cultish behavior, and will become increasingly hostile to any outsiders who challenge their figurehead. Betas are notoriously close-minded and slavish in their devotion to their masters, to the point of violence.

Gammas on the other hand require no masters. Their social needs are met easily by family and friends- there is no hunger for a mass collective consciousness imposed from above. Gammas are very self-sufficient and unafraid of new things, or change in general. They are explorers and thinkers, the innovators who strike out on their own.

They are driven to excel by their very nature, being internally directed and rewarded. They require no direction from authority, and often suffer in the confines of a world divvied up by the alpha scarcity model, which by the way is what most of us think of when we hear the word “society”. To gammas, control schemes that pass for society to most people might as well be a prison.

America was settled in large part by gammas. That is why our culture is, at its heart, “libertarian”. As time has gone on, however, the alpha-beta scarcity types have moved in and laid their stultifying grid over all creation here. This is the current conflict in the American political landscape.

The scarcity we are currently experiencing, the recession (or depression if you are paying attention), is artificial. The betas will never understand this and will cling ever more closely to their masters. The gammas, grown in large numbers as times of plenty have produced massive numbers of this subtype, will grow increasingly restless at the domination of the new alpha American Aristocracy. That’s the central conflict here.

This isn’t about fascism or socialism. Those ideological terms mask the essential underlying phenomenon of biologically directed behavior matrices. The fact that true scarcity is a thing of the past in a very real way is going to produce many new subtypes. Perhaps someday there will be deltas and beyond. Who knows what the future might bring?

But in the meantime, the alphas (psychopaths) and betas (slaves) will attempt to dominate every inch of the land with their cults, vacuuming up every last resource and squandering it. Gammas will fight back by secession and perhaps even war at some point. Will we move to the next level, into a beautiful post-scarcity world, or will the atavistic monsters pull the curtain down on our heads with war and famine once again?

The American Question is very much open.

Another Libertarian on March 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I would like to see Mary Landfill and Lindsey Grahamnesty run on ‘Don’t Tread on my Obamacare’ but they will never say that actually do support it

Brock Robamney on March 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Great way to get your car keyed!

PolAgnostic on March 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Ignoring an individual’s right to free speech and not respecting private property is what the libtards are all about. If you would seriously do this, please turn in your conservative card.

db on March 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Don’t Cancel Me Bro

Lincoln Cadillac on March 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I’m going to get bitten if I tread on a stethoscope?

RadClown on March 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Desperation Thy Name Is OFA.

Pelosi Schmelosi on March 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM

The message is clear to me: Obamacare is what is most important, and Americans had better not get in the way of it.

To OFA, our rights and freedoms supposedly guaranteed by the US Constitution are less important than ACA.

The ACA healthcare law trumps our constitutional rights in their view, and if we complain, OFA and their ilk will consider us an enemy.

They may have meant it as a belittlement of the Tea Party, but I see it as a belittlement of the value of freedom.

Considering their values system as I have seen it displayed, I think their belittlement of freedom and individual choice is intentional.

s1im on March 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Every one of these bumper stickers I see, I’m going to scratch it like this:

Don’t tread on my Obamacare

I think it’s a little more truthful, don’t you?

Effay5 on March 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM