Video: Rand Paul goes “behind enemy lines” at Berkeley?

posted at 10:01 am on March 20, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

In one sense, perhaps, but in another sense, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) may find himself right at home in the nexus between libertarianism and college-campus activism. Not too many Republicans get standing ovations from audiences at UC Berkeley, after all, which is one of the most activist-progressive campuses in California or the nation. However, Paul’s focus on individual liberty and constraining federal intrusion into private lives offered a rare bridge between a major national GOP figure and Berkeley students, and Paul made the most of it:

Delivering a rare speech for a Republican at this bastion of liberalism, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday was given multiple standing ovations by the left-wing audience after railing against government surveillance and warning the students: “Your right to privacy is under assault.”

“I am here to tell you that if you own a cell phone, you’re under surveillance,” he told the crowd. …

“No one should be allowed to invade your privacy,” Paul said. “That’s why I’m announcing today that when I return to Washington, I will push for a select committee styled after the Church Committee that investigated the abuses of power of the intelligence committee in the 70s. It should be bipartisan. It should be independent, and wide reaching. It should have full power to investigate and reform those who spy on us in the name of protecting us.”

Added Paul: “It should watch the watchers.”

National Journal’s Shane Goldmacher calls this a behind-enemy-lines operation to allow Republicans to compete for votes in what had been one of the strongest Democratic Party demographics:

“For the Republican Party to win again we need to go places we haven’t been going, and we need to attract people we haven’t been attracting. Part of that is the message, but part of that is also showing up,” Paul told National Journal. “I think we need to show up in challenging circumstances, so you don’t think of Berkeley as being a bastion of Republican politics and so I think it’s a good place to go.”

Paul, a fierce critic of the National Security Agency’s tactics, believes the issue of surveillance can—and has already started to—peel young voters away from President Obama and the Democratic Party.

“The youth vote went 3-to-1 for President Obama but recent polls, in the last six months, have shown his support dropping because, mostly because of the NSA scandal, I think,” Paul said.

Paul said he also wants to make a push into big cities where Republicans have been swamped in recent elections. “We have a trip planned to Chicago and Milwaukee to talk about school choice and to talk about education in the large cities and how we can do a better job than what we’re doing,” he said.

If Paul does follow through on that strategy, then he can expect to take some heavy flak from Democrats, certainly heavier than he will attract with his Berkeley speech. House Budget chair Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) tried talking about poverty recently, agreeing with President Barack Obama on the need to change the culture in urban areas where poverty runs rampant. For that bipartisan agreement, Ryan got pilloried as a racist, Rich Lowry writes:

n his instantly notorious interview with radio talk show host Bill Bennett, Ryan discussed fatherlessness and the importance of role models to passing along an example of hard work. “We have got this tailspin of culture in our inner cities, in particular,” he said, “of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning the value and the culture of work.”

For this offense, Ryan was awarded an honorary white hood by the liberal commentariat. But the broad sentiments are indistinguishable from those of Obama in the statements quoted above—all emphasizing a breakdown of work and the consequences of fatherlessness and social isolation—except Obama’s comments were more explicitly racial.

When Barack Obama says such things, which are undeniably correct, he is a brave truth-teller; when Paul Ryan says them, he is making an odious play for racist votes.

We may get a chance to discuss this with Rep. Ryan today on the Ed Morrissey Show. Meanwhile, here is Rand Paul’s full speech to the Berkeley Forum.  He includes “full-throated defense[s]” of traditional Republican fiscal positions, according to Politico, but mainly focused on privacy and libertarian-friendly themes to offer a new and, er, tastier image of the GOP. “Remember Domino’s [the pizza chain] finally admitted they had bad crust?” Paul said in response to a question after his speech.  “I think the Republican Party finally admitted it. OK, bad crust, we need a different kind of party.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“I am here to tell you that if you own a cell phone, you’re under surveillance”

It’s soooo good to know that if you don’t have one – or logically, aren’t using it – that you are not under surveillance.

corona79 on March 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Running for POTUS is not running for a House seat… Gryph.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Oh I know. Believe me, I know. Trying to play to a national audience is always more difficult than appealing to the ladies and gentlemen back home. And that is why I think Rand Paul is going to get ripped apart at the seams before he has a snowball’s chance in hell of making an impact on the primaries.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM

When I was at Cal I always tried to see whoever notable was speaking, no matter what their political persuasion. It was part of getting educated.

I find it interesting that he spoke at International House, where a lot notable foreign students, past and future, live. I think he was also speaking to an international audience. Very shrewd of Rand Paul.

MichaelGabriel on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

McCain spent his entire political career as a media-hailed “maverick.” What changed?

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

An ill-conceived, ill-thought-out, unpopular, misguided invasion of Iraq, along with the fantastical notion of democratizing the ME and ending tyranny in our world (actual foreign policy positions that John McCain cheer led), happened. Put on a nice dollop of indefinite detention of US citizens, and … voila!… Maverick’s pitch to the Millenials.

And you actually wonder why we lost young people so badly…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I’m not sure that Rand can win the presidency, however I do think he can usher in a new era for the GOP, much as Goldwater did in the ’60′s. That moment in time propelled the GOP from it’s static 1950′s beliefs into what became the Reagan era.

Let’s hope Rand’s outreach can do the same.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I have a few very close friends who live in California. You’d have to pay me generously to even set foot in that state now, and they all know it.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Shame. Promises be a be a glorious spring day today… on the vernal equinox, IIRC…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Did not know until this thread Jack Reagan was in politics.

Bmore on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

And you actually wonder why we lost young people so badly…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Or could it have been that McCain is a progressive in Republican’s clothing? Obama did nothing to ramp down our presence in Iraq or Afghaistan in his first term, nor did he even keep his own promise to close Camp X-Ray, and he was re-elected handily in 2012. No, I don’t think it was foreign policy that did in McCain — although it surely didn’t help him.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Let’s hope Rand’s outreach can do the same.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Interesting post – a new line of thinking on Rand. You may be right

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

corona79 on March 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Your post was just recorded into the NSA data base. If your here, you’re not “off the grid”.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Living in a state that has to have a bureaucracy dedicated to where their water comes from is bad enough. I give my uncle in Arizona crap about that all the time. No, California is a special case. They are now a micrcosm of the slow suicide that all of America embraced in 2012.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Does anyone else find it curious that this young generation of Facebook, Twitter, IM, etc., was so delighted to hear Rand talk and argue about privacy concerns?

I find the irony in that to be very interesting.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Yea, but in this day and age he could have talked about how much he likes grilled cheese sandwiches and get pilloried as a racist.

scalleywag on March 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Considering who recent Nobel Prize laureates in literature and peace have been lately, I tend to meh at the whole system these days. And a highly disproportionate number of nobel laureates worldwide come from CalTech, not Berkeley.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Cal Tech Nobel Laureates

I see four in residence at Cal Tech, and 8 in residence at Berkeley. Now, in Berkeley, 8>4. Perhaps they use the new math in Pasadena.

Or maybe Tech’s compensation package isn’t up to snuff. That’s how UCSB gets it’s laureates.

It poaches them…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

And you actually wonder why we lost young people so badly…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Hmmmm, interesting points…..not sure what role they played
in 2008….I seem to recall a man who was absolutely
Effing Clueless (his own admission) in the midst of an
Economic Recession…about all things economic…
..his fantastical notions not withstanding..

In an election that was all about ECONOMICS…

THIS thing called Economics is why we are getting Millenials
coming back, or checking out the R party for the first time..

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Heard the same thing in 1991, when I first came out here.

The reports of CA’s imminent demise are, as always, premature…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM

BTW, Rand is the scariest politician to Hillary and the Dem’s; he can’t be put into the “mean ‘ol GOP” box. Additionally, his style would be to go directly after Hillary, ala the recent Bill comments, as being someone who is all show and no go, without any real beliefs or accomplishments.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I agree. I think that he will help shape the party even if he fails to capture the nomination.

I see people trying to compare him with Cruz. Cruz is a clown who can only embarrass himself before being laughed off the national stage. Paul is a shrewd politician.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I hadn’t thought of that particular analogy, which is an excellent one, but that is generally the way I have been looking at it as well.

SacredFire on March 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Cal Tech Nobel Laureates

It poaches them…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

CalTech has fewer current nobel laureates in residence, but in the existence of the Nobel Prize, Tech has churned out more Nobel Laureates with its research than any other institute of higher learning in the world. I think the establishment of Silicon Valley has tipped that balance somewhat in favor of Berkeley and PARC, but 40 years is less than a blink of an eye in historical terms.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Really? Let’s see what the CRS has to say (Table 1):

Table 1. Average Monthly Boots On the Ground in Afghanistan and Iraq:
FY2002-FY2012
Reported FY02-FY08, Estimated FY09-FY12, Rounded to Hundreds

Iraq:

FY2009: 135,600

FY2012: 4,100

It appears the Congressional Research Service disagrees with you…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM

It appears the Congressional Research Service disagrees with you…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Funny you should mention that. I thought those troop drawdowns were scheduled in 2007 before Barack Obama was elected. *shrug*

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

(OT – Anyone have any advice on dealing with how buggy HA site seems to be lately?
There just seems to be way to much stuff loading…causing FF to go into ‘not responding’ mode. And in Chrome, antivirus is working overtime.)

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I find the irony in that to be very interesting.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Young people can hardly conceive of life outside the collective. They have been taught to feel the need to be in constant contact with people with whom they have some tenuous emotional connection, (but like all little kids, don’t want their parents spying on them.)

I am convinced they will lose the ability to develop or sustain real relationships; it seems common to see younger people in a physical grouping who are, instead of conversing with those around them, are peering at their phones, “talking” in shorthand that seems more like some kind of aphasia than conversation.

I’m also of the belief that if you suffer with a drastically truncated vocabulary (LOLOL r u srs?), your ability to think complex thoughts is handicapped.

Pless1foEngrish on March 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Of course, if you don’t like CRS projections, there is always the BBC and Brookings, demonstrating a severe falloff in troops levels b/t 2009 and 2012…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I disable Flash/Shockwave, which seemed to help quite a bit.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Paul is a shrewd politician.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Clearly Rand’s outreach to the GOP establishment is working…

Pless1foEngrish on March 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I have a 26 year old who is conservative, and I know that young people today are very concerned about their freedoms and liberty. This generation does lean libertarian with some anarchy tendencies. I can see why Rand Paul’s message at Berkeley was widely received. I also believe that it is possible the RNC could back Rand Paul, but that remains to be seen.

The Millenials will not vote for some old GOP politician like Jeb Bush.

lea on March 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Will they vote for a fat old white woman that’s led a life of privilege?

slickwillie2001 on March 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Again, I question that Obama was responsible for those troop levels. He took credit for a lot of stuff that Bush did. I look at those numbers with a jaundiced eye until you can tell me where those troop drawdowns actually came from.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I don’t either. It’s a mystery. I never bothered to think about Ronald Reagan’s father or his politics.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

His father wasn’t popping up on Russia Today talking about the ‘free and fair’ elections in Crimea.

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

It reminds me of Joe Kennedy:

Americans do not care about crazy uncles, shady cousins, ne’er do well siblings, estranged relatives, or daddy sticking his foot in his mouth on foreign policy.

Jack won, by the way.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Have you ever thought that maybe it has less to do with the site and more to do with Google? Ironic you are having trouble while trying to post on “Rand vs. NSA” thread.

PS. Not meant to sound like I’m wearing tin foil; only to mention Google has openly admitted they are trying to capture as much info on you with every product they offer.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM

What?? Is this, like the conservative version of “It’s Bush’s Fault?”?

The troops were drawn down on his watch, a watch he won against a man who, by his own admission, was not concerned if they had to stay in Iraq for a hundred years.

Once again, do ya really wonder why young people walked away from the GOP in droves…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Jack won, by the way.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

To be fair, he had the advantage of running against Richard Nixon…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

It reminds me of Joe Kennedy:

Jack won, by the way.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

FUN FACT #1: “Jack” speechified on more than one occasion about the need to cut taxes to stimulate the economy.

FUN FACT #2: “Jack” actually did sign tax cuts to stimulate the economy.

That couldn’t have had anything to do with his election, could it have? That a majority of the national electorate found him trustworthy? I don’t know if you can say the same thing about Rand Paul.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I disable Flash/Shockwave, which seemed to help quite a bit.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Thanks.
Will try that.
Odd that I only have this issue at HA.

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM

What?? Is this, like the conservative version of “It’s Bush’s Fault?”?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I don’t wonder. It’s because the GOP embraced tyranny and rejected the constitution. The same reasons I walked away from the GOP. And the GOP will not be America’s salvation, regardless, no matter how many Ted Cruzes and Mike Lees and Rand Pauls we try to stick in it. Politicians ain’t gonna fix what politicians broke.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

He’s a clown with used car salesman hair. Everything about him makes my skin crawl.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Paul is a shrewd politician.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Again with the damning by faint praise. You Rand Paul supporters need to do a better job of propping up your candidate if you want him to make it through the ’16 primaries.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Since I don’t live that far from Berkeley and even took classes there, I think the fact that Rand was even allowed on that campus means some young adults are having second thoughts. I laugh each time I am in Berkeley at the people who live there – everything overpriced, vegans and vegetarians ruining their health (I am a health consultant), lousy weather, elitist attitude because they do not much to offer otherwise, thinking they are special (NOT!), etc. Thanks, Rand for getting at least a group of them to think a wee bit about others and the country rather than themselves. They are on the whole iconoclasts and think that they are really thinkers and movers. Again, NOT! and then they get jobs and start to wake up and move out of Berkeley into the real world or become expats. They don’t like to think they are part of the problem, but they are. License is everywhere and freedom is not for most of them locked into their little world of selfishness. Glad I attended universities that allowed me to think, grow as an adult, and actually helped me to know who I was and am as part of the whole.

Roselle on March 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Jack won, by the way.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

To be fair, he had the advantage of running against Richard Nixon…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

That and the West Virginia and Chicago machines and the fact that Nixon didn’t challenge the results like Gore.

Rand’s problem with his dad is not that people will punish him for what Ron says or believes. It is that Ron’s positions and statements instill a sort of wariness in some as to Rand’s ‘real’ beliefs.

I love Rand. This isn’t about me. I’m just telling you what I’ve heard from a lot of independents and even some moderate Democrats, especially Jews when it comes to Israel and Iran getting a nuclear weapon.

As I said the other day, this may not be fair, but it is how some of the world works.

Reality is what it is.

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM

It reminds me of Joe Kennedy:

Jack won, by the way.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

FUN FACT #2: “Jack” actually did sign tax cuts to stimulate the economy.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Oh! You mean Americans cared about policy and ideas and not what his dad did or said concerning foreign affairs?! You mean a young, dynamic guy and his message trumped the stuff about his dad?!

OH. MY. GOODNESS. You don’t say!.

Face it: You hysterical, moon-barking Anti-Rand folks don’t have a leg to stand on. He’s winning folks over.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM

The Millenials will not vote for some old GOP politician like Jeb Bush.

lea on March 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Will they vote for a fat old white woman that’s led a life of privilege?

slickwillie2001 on March 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM

That is the $64,000 question. I cannot see them rallying around Shrillary even if her letch of a husband is purportedly the “most popular (living) former president”.

tru2tx on March 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Finally, a Republican who can cut into their strength, without giving up anything. This is obviously the guy who can win.

cimbri on March 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Good on him. It’ll take more than “he’s a shrewd politician” to win me over. You know who else was a shrewd enough politician to be elected twice? That’s right, kids: Barack Hussein Obama. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Politicians ain’t gonna fix what politicians broke.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM

And I’ll remind you again that politics is war, by other means. We do politically, what we would otherwise arm ourselves and our compatriots and fight it out over.

Those are your only choices, like it or not…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Wow, yeah, I’ll tell you what…..that Cruz fellow, he’s
going to be embarrassed alright….

..please elaborate on exactly HOW he will do that…

..you Claim Paul is a shrewd politician. Well that’s nice,
but he seems to Lack in some other areas…

So what you are saying, if effect, is he’s a typical
Politician….not much different than his Senate
counterpart in KY, right??

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I don’t know if I’m a Rand Paul supporter or not yet. There are several possibilities that I see. I can tell you this, Cruz is bad crust.

BTW, I guess you never heard of the Iraq SOFA that never happened, leading to our large troop drawdown. Don’t let that stop you from blaming/crediting W, though.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Those are your only choices, like it or not…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Wrong wrong wrong. These are my only choices to vote for. There are other options outside of the presidential political process. I’m not really all that hopeful that Americans will figure that out for themselves, but politics is the “war by other means” that we’ll never win as long as we depend on politicians to secure our liberties.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Let’s hope Rand’s outreach can do the same.
Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Yeah, Paul is not ready. Amnesty is also a problem for them

Brock Robamney on March 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM

And you folks who think Rand’s Dad, who’s
Nuttier than a Sh*thouse full of Ring Tailed lemurs,
isn’t going to have a negative impact on Rand, if he
runs, may as well start baying at the moon now….

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

For the rabid Rand supporters, why doesn’t “free enterprise zones” bother you at all? If you believe that crony capitalism is wrong, then you should be against this. The silence on this is deafening.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

.please elaborate on exactly HOW he will do that…

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Were you sleeping during the debt limit circus?

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM

You have the Jesus direct line? hmmm If Phelps repented at the last moment he may be there to greet you as you ascend to glory on high…

Bradky on March 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM

It would be a nice change for a GOP candidate to get elected with Barry’s % of the vote and do it twice.

Oh, and especially now since our SCOTUS bench is getting up there in the years.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, Paul is not ready. Amnesty is also a problem for them

Brock Robamney on March 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Before we get the “Rand is for Amnesty” thing started please go to Rand’s website and read HIS position on the subject. Stop taking the word of a rival politician, or worse yet some poster on HA, RS or some other web site.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Just sell the amnesty angle as a good idea that will fund your Social security accounts at least until you are gone. After that tough noogies for the kiddies…Take theirs not Mine its the american way…

Bradky on March 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I would love to make the whole country a free enterprise zone. However, I would settle for establishing them on the basis of geography and where they are most badly needed.

These zones will apply to any zip code with unemployment greater than one and a half times the national average. This bill will dramatically reduce taxes and red tape so that families and businesses can grow and thrive.

And no, tax breaks that do not favor particular businesses or interests do not sound like crapitalism to me.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

And you folks who think Rand’s Dad, who’s
Nuttier than a Sh*thouse full of Ring Tailed lemurs,
isn’t going to have a negative impact on Rand, if he
runs, may as well start baying at the moon now….

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

OK, I will concede this much: John McCain and Jennifer Rubin might vote for Hillary Clinton.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Heard the same thing in 1991, when I first came out here.

The reports of CA’s imminent demise are, as always, premature…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Good thing you don’t include bankruptcy as a demise. How many bankrupt municipalities is California up to?

dominigan on March 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

“Remember Domino’s [the pizza chain] finally admitted they had bad crust?” Paul said in response to a question after his speech. “I think the Republican Party finally admitted it. OK, bad crust, we need a different kind of party.”

I agree. Defining what is “crust” and what is salvageable is the bigger issue though. But if we are going to lose ANYWAY, why not at least use the time to make a platform we can be proud of, stick by, and commit to. Grow from there.

Dash on March 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Bradky on March 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

No, I have this nifty tool called ‘cut and paste,’ which allows me to bring the verbatim headlines of others here.

Kewl, eh?

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Crony capitalism is the government giving special favors or interests to anyone. And how does this not favor a particular business? All those business have to do is be in the right place at the right time, and it satisfies your definition (hint, lots of cronies in Detroit).

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This place is going to be intolerably incoherent as the election approaches.

Murphy9 on March 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Whether or not rand is the standard bearer for our party in ’16 is yet to be determined. HOWEVER Rand is one of the few Republican’s who talks about the future and desire for individual freedom, whereas many of our political party leaders talk only about what is wrong in the present, longing for the past.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Another problem with Rand? He is too young. We need our candidates to be ancient and not associated at all with young people. Not ready.

/s

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I really like this sentiment. We don’t live in a Norman Rockwell painting.

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Free enterprise zones are being proposed to bring jobs to areas where ANY business or individual is free to go and benefit from. It is a way to get government out of the way of growth and employment. Something that all conservatives ought to cheer.

You can try to shoehorn your definitions in, but that is a sophomoric and meaningless path to pursue. I’m not going to argue semantics.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM

dominigan on March 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Outside of Stockton…? Maybe Riverside? Maybe a couple out in the desert?

It’s a boom and bust place. When times are good, they’re really good in CA. When times are bad, things are rough here.

Yet somehow, Cali just keeps on keepin’ on…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM

P.S. I do have a problem with the free enterprise plan. I don’t think that zip codes work well as a basis because people often do not live in the same zip code as where they work.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Something more than “might”…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Conservatives also believe in the rule of law. Why should one area be exempt from federal regulation/taxation but others not? It flies right in the face of a very core belief (laws apply to all, not to a few).

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM

There is no shoehorn-ing. Cronyism doesn’t change definition just because you think it doesn’t. But at least you admit that you can’t argue against the point.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

/s

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I would so like to see him, or Ted Cruz, or one of the young bucks go up against an increasingly haggard Frau Pantsuit.

I guess one can develop a tolerance for botox. Kind of like the melange. Beware the spice, Hillary…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM

.please elaborate on exactly HOW he will do that…

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Were you sleeping during the debt limit circus?

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I’ll ask again. How did he embarrass himself during
that?

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Conservatives also believe in a smaller government. Nowhere does Rand suggest something other following the rule of law; only making the laws to allow for more economic freedom.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

If Congress passes a law to establish them, you should be thrilled. The rule of law will be intact.

Tell me, should homeowner’s be allowed to deduct mortgage interest expenses? I ask because it is crapitalism. Sure it’s what the law says and all but apparently it violates the “rule of law” as you so pompously proclaimed.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

OT, on a positive note: Special senate election results is in a first ever win for “write-in” conservative candidate Scott Wagner. Forty-eight percent of the vote! http://mobile.spectator.org/theamericanspectator/#!/entry/scott-wagner-beats-the-gop-establishment,532aa063025312186ce68fdf/9

31giddyup on March 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

if our nominee is either Rand, or Cruz, better than even
money McCain will be voting for the Democrat.

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Big discrimination against renters, it is…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I’m in favor of completely scrapping the income tax and resorting to a flax sales tax. The income tax code is indeed cronyism. Get rid of it.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM

*flat sales tax

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Yeah, yeah, I get it. You don’t see the big, red nose, oversized shoes and spinning bow tie.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM

31giddyup on March 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Yes, I watched this unfold….it was great. The Republican
establishment went after Wagner with a vengence.

Turns out their hand picked candidate got 26% of the vote,
the Leftist Dem woman who was a Climate change fanatic
got 25% of the vote.

BOTH party machines are a joke now, and this vote was
a harbinger of things to come, IMO.

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM

That is not what I asked you. Does the deduction follow “the rule of law?”

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM

It is crapitalistic as all get out. That was not the question I was asking.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM

BREAKING: Hell Has A New Resident, Westboro Baptist Church Founder Fred Phelps Dies…

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Rust in pieces, Phred. I haven’t heard much news about pickets in a while; I wonder if this will mean a collapse of the whole Westboro thing?

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM

That is not what I asked you. Does the deduction follow “the rule of law?”

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

No, but as I explained, the entire tax code is antithetical to the rule of law. Argue in favor of that over giving special consideration to people of a specific geographic area.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Rand Paul is kind of like House Atreides, and the mainstream GOP is like House Harkonnen.

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM

His dad, if still around, will ruin it for him.

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I see. The law is antithetical to the law.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I see. The law is antithetical to the law.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM

The law, being applied unequally, is antithetical to the law. We call this the “rule of man”.

Just out of curiosity, are you against Citizens United?

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM

The mortgage interest deduction is applied to all equally, It is also textbook crapitalism.

I am for Citizens United’s right to speak and against attempts to stifle them.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Courtesy of 31giddyup

T axed
E nough
A lready

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I am for Citizens United’s right to speak and against attempts to stifle them.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM

A deduction, by definition, means that someone will be paying less than others. End the need for deductions by ending the income tax code.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Wow, yeah, I’ll tell you what…..that Cruz fellow, he’s
going to be embarrassed alright….

..please elaborate on exactly HOW he will do that…

..you Claim Paul is a shrewd politician. Well that’s nice,
but he seems to Lack in some other areas…

So what you are saying, if effect, is he’s a typical
Politician….not much different than his Senate
counterpart in KY, right??

ToddPA on March 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Rand Paul would strip our military and defense in a heartbeat. How does that equate to Reagan’s peace through strength policy? It doesn’t.

Paul’s positions have already been proven losers. Just look at the Obama admin. reset button with Putin and tell me how well that worked out. Rand Paul must surely be an Obama foreign policy advisor, or at least an apologist in his image. With the Ukraine situation, Paul suggested that we not “tweak” Putin because he’s got some big guns. Paul suggested that we talk nice with Putin and ask him to please not do what he is doing.

Oh, and BTW, Ron said we could protect our country with just a few good submarines.

Bob Davis on March 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM

To circle back, Rand Paul’s stand on free enterprise zone is wrong, and will not merit a further discussion (at least from me). He is wrong, and I won’t vote for him.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You keep evading the question. Yes, I am for a flat or a fair tax too. Big deal, it won’t happen. The fact is that you have tied yourself in knots over your own definitional rabbit holes.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM

The Millenials will not vote for some old GOP politician like Jeb Bush.

lea on March 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I doubt the RNC would support Paul. He isn’t a member of their club. But the young people will. They like anything that is outside the box.

crankyoldlady on March 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I disable Flash/Shockwave, which seemed to help quite a bit.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Thanks.
Will try that.
Odd that I only have this issue at HA.

verbaluce on March 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM

The new HA load has enabled troll detection routines.

slickwillie2001 on March 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Bob Davis on March 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM

So, who are you talking about here? Rand or Ron?

I don’t know if Rand has been explicit enough with detailed proposals with regards to foreign policy to really judge him there. Does he vote yes on military cutbacks? Yes, but he votes yes on virtually all cutbacks.

I think Rand is a strong contender in the areas that he is vocal about. The next steps he should take would be to distinguish (not necessarily distance) himself from his father’s stranger policies. He then needs to round out his platform on all areas with specifics that people can explore the merit of.

Effay5 on March 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM