Video: Rand Paul goes “behind enemy lines” at Berkeley?

posted at 10:01 am on March 20, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

In one sense, perhaps, but in another sense, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) may find himself right at home in the nexus between libertarianism and college-campus activism. Not too many Republicans get standing ovations from audiences at UC Berkeley, after all, which is one of the most activist-progressive campuses in California or the nation. However, Paul’s focus on individual liberty and constraining federal intrusion into private lives offered a rare bridge between a major national GOP figure and Berkeley students, and Paul made the most of it:

Delivering a rare speech for a Republican at this bastion of liberalism, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday was given multiple standing ovations by the left-wing audience after railing against government surveillance and warning the students: “Your right to privacy is under assault.”

“I am here to tell you that if you own a cell phone, you’re under surveillance,” he told the crowd. …

“No one should be allowed to invade your privacy,” Paul said. “That’s why I’m announcing today that when I return to Washington, I will push for a select committee styled after the Church Committee that investigated the abuses of power of the intelligence committee in the 70s. It should be bipartisan. It should be independent, and wide reaching. It should have full power to investigate and reform those who spy on us in the name of protecting us.”

Added Paul: “It should watch the watchers.”

National Journal’s Shane Goldmacher calls this a behind-enemy-lines operation to allow Republicans to compete for votes in what had been one of the strongest Democratic Party demographics:

“For the Republican Party to win again we need to go places we haven’t been going, and we need to attract people we haven’t been attracting. Part of that is the message, but part of that is also showing up,” Paul told National Journal. “I think we need to show up in challenging circumstances, so you don’t think of Berkeley as being a bastion of Republican politics and so I think it’s a good place to go.”

Paul, a fierce critic of the National Security Agency’s tactics, believes the issue of surveillance can—and has already started to—peel young voters away from President Obama and the Democratic Party.

“The youth vote went 3-to-1 for President Obama but recent polls, in the last six months, have shown his support dropping because, mostly because of the NSA scandal, I think,” Paul said.

Paul said he also wants to make a push into big cities where Republicans have been swamped in recent elections. “We have a trip planned to Chicago and Milwaukee to talk about school choice and to talk about education in the large cities and how we can do a better job than what we’re doing,” he said.

If Paul does follow through on that strategy, then he can expect to take some heavy flak from Democrats, certainly heavier than he will attract with his Berkeley speech. House Budget chair Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) tried talking about poverty recently, agreeing with President Barack Obama on the need to change the culture in urban areas where poverty runs rampant. For that bipartisan agreement, Ryan got pilloried as a racist, Rich Lowry writes:

n his instantly notorious interview with radio talk show host Bill Bennett, Ryan discussed fatherlessness and the importance of role models to passing along an example of hard work. “We have got this tailspin of culture in our inner cities, in particular,” he said, “of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning the value and the culture of work.”

For this offense, Ryan was awarded an honorary white hood by the liberal commentariat. But the broad sentiments are indistinguishable from those of Obama in the statements quoted above—all emphasizing a breakdown of work and the consequences of fatherlessness and social isolation—except Obama’s comments were more explicitly racial.

When Barack Obama says such things, which are undeniably correct, he is a brave truth-teller; when Paul Ryan says them, he is making an odious play for racist votes.

We may get a chance to discuss this with Rep. Ryan today on the Ed Morrissey Show. Meanwhile, here is Rand Paul’s full speech to the Berkeley Forum.  He includes “full-throated defense[s]” of traditional Republican fiscal positions, according to Politico, but mainly focused on privacy and libertarian-friendly themes to offer a new and, er, tastier image of the GOP. “Remember Domino’s [the pizza chain] finally admitted they had bad crust?” Paul said in response to a question after his speech.  “I think the Republican Party finally admitted it. OK, bad crust, we need a different kind of party.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Liberaltarians.

thebrokenrattle on March 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I have no idea what this means – Good, Bad, Nothing at All – but it is surprising.

Bold move by Rand Paul. I wonder if others will pick this up?

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

His strengths. Good on him for using them.

Bmore on March 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Make him explain how he justifies gutting military pensions while keeping tax credits for illegals. I want this RINO to explain in detail why it is right to steal from veterans.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Me likey! Like Stanley going into the wilds to find Livingstone. Brave indeed.

birdhurd on March 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Third party feelers? If so, look for the ‘pubs to shoot themselves in the foot and the Dems to pick up the pieces. Reid is salivating…

vnvet on March 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Paul is correct to be going to campus and urban areas.

If he does this right, he will make some progress in those demos, but it’ll help most with white women. He’s hitting the “empathy gap” that Obama has exploited so successfully.

forest on March 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Thanks lately to NSA/CIA and Obamacare this bridge is strong, and IMO wide enough to hold out the prospect of a decisive voter realignment, especially among young voters (excluding, of course, the Obamaphone voters).

petefrt on March 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Bold move by Rand Paul. I wonder if others will pick this up?

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Others don’t have the mind set to pick this up. coming from the mouths of the party establishment will sound like the nerds trying to be “cool.”

Rand is decades behind the old, hoary cronies in the GOP.

Walter L. Newton on March 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I see a lot of common ground between Paul family nuttiness and college-age sensibilities.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

That’s all well and good, but I fear the pendulum will swing too far the other way, as it did after the Church Committee’s work. My late brother was in the ASA and later the NSA, and he wasn’t happy with the way our intel business was hobbled after the Church Committee, and the effects of having Stansfield Turner as DCI.

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Rand is decades behind the old, hoary cronies in the GOP.

Walter L. Newton on March 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM

“behind”? – how do you mean?

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Stansfield Turner as DCI.

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Was there ever a bigger idiot than Stansfield Turner?

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Me likey! Like Stanley going into the wilds to find Livingstone. Brave indeed.

birdhurd on March 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Dr. Livingstone I presume, stepping out of the jungle gloom…

/we’re all looking for someone

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Was there ever a bigger idiot than Stansfield Turner?

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Not according to my brother, at least until Obama came along.

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Uh, that’s an awfully wobbly “bridge”.

It’s likely that every one of those who gave Rand Paul a standing ovation has always voted ‘D’ – at every level, and will continue to do so. Every democrat voter (at least) in the obama era, and especially those democrat voters in California, have voted against INDIVIDUAL LIBERY and PRIVACY, and for HUGE, OPPRESSIVE, OVERREACHING GOVERNMENT time and time again. One need only look at California election returns, Alameda County election returns, and Berkeley city election returns for a good taste of where the vast majority of Northern Californians (and most Californians) stand on these issues. These people applauding Rand Paul for decrying EXACTLY what they have always voted for, is silly and meaningless – they will NEVER vote for a Republican president.

Pork-Chop on March 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM

at least until Obama came along.

Ward Cleaver on March 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I should have excluded Obama – my bad.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Me likey! Like Stanley going into the wilds to find Livingstone. Brave indeed.

birdhurd on March 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM

More like Charles Marlow looking for Mr. Kurtz.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM

And a standing ovation for Rand Paul too!

Amjean on March 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Rand Paul is the future of the GOP. Hopefully that future includes a 2016 presidency.

ModerateMan on March 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

That’s the primary Think of the college-agers: to win them over, just promote their indignation about authority, any authority, but using government as authority in this particular location is like handing out free weed and asking for a high-five.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Good for him.

gophergirl on March 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM

“Your right to privacy is under assault.”

How many in this audience live in a dorm or in their parents’ homes?

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM

ModerateMan on March 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I could never vote for an isolationist. It’s as nutty a view of the world as Obama’s appeasement.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM

While I agree with what Rand Paul said in this situation, I’m not eager to see another politician use the Obama strategy to hypnotize the easily-manipulated youth.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

ModerateMan on March 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Nothing better than returning to crony capitalism.

Rand will not receive my vote until he fully renounces “free-enterprise zones”.

nobar on March 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM

And the GOP elites are terrified. That alone makes me want to buy Rand a double Blanton’s and a porterhouse.

M240H on March 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Was there ever a bigger idiot than Stansfield Turner?

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Barack Obama…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Pork-Chop on March 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Exactly. And they are highly unlikely to ever vote for anyone, including Rand Paul, who is a Republican.

I’ve heard so many of these types in California, adult and youth alike, who will never, ever vote for anyone except a Democrat. They’re lost in that regard but they make for loud and raucus political audiences.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM

ModerateMan on March 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

WOW ! – well ok – time to start watching Rand a little closer.

He certainly hit a home run yesterday – no doubt.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

How many in this audience live in a dorm or in their parents’ homes?

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM

At Berkeley? Precious few. Most live in off-campus housing, or in co-ops…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Barack Obama…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM

YUP

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I have a 26 year old who is conservative, and I know that young people today are very concerned about their freedoms and liberty. This generation does lean libertarian with some anarchy tendencies. I can see why Rand Paul’s message at Berkeley was widely received. I also believe that it is possible the RNC could back Rand Paul, but that remains to be seen.

The Millenials will not vote for some old GOP politician like Jeb Bush.

lea on March 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Rand Paul also spoke at least one black college – Howard University I think – and that went well.

I also read that the NAACP informally invited Rand Paul to
speak; in particular, they are interested in his economic
zone proposals for Detroit and other ravaged areas of mostly
low income communities. The formal invitation hasn’t been
issued yet; might not ever be because the lefty leaders won’t
like a white republican making inroads in to their territory.

I give Rand Paul a lot of credit for 1)speaking his truth,
2) going on television stations not friendly to conservatives
or any republican, 3) taking his message directly to the youth
of America and 4) reaching out to minorities, etc.

The largest praise I give him is to keep the social issues that
divide some of us out of his political area; saying, that we can
agree to disagree on social issues and leave it mostly up to the
states.

My opinion is in line with Rand Paul; I think he wants to run for
president and is smart enough to realize that he would be president
of all the people, not just conservate republicans.

Amjean on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

How many in this audience live in a dorm or in their parents’ homes?

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM

At Berkeley? Precious few. Most live in off-campus housing, or in co-ops…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

MY POINT WAS that they’re highly dependent. If they live “off-campus” you can bet someone else is paying for it.

I know, I know of what I write here.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Yeah. A standing O at Berkeley. This will really help him. And Dear Ole Dad won’t hurt him at all.

/Paulbots

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

…and highly indignant about “authority.” Thus, Rand Paul’s appeal to this particular audience.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

The fact they even let him in the gate is significant.

crankyoldlady on March 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

And Dear Ole Dad won’t hurt him at all.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Yeh – Ron will have to be contained – for just this reason. You’re right.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM

The fact they even let him in the gate is significant.

crankyoldlady on March 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

You’re right – I had the same thought when I first saw the story.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I think he’s running. KY passed a new bill to allow him to run for both Senator & President at the same time.

22044 on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

And Dear Ole Dad won’t hurt him at all.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Yeh – Ron will have to be contained – for just this reason. You’re right.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM

If there’s one thing that the Crimea incident taught me that I wasn’t sure of before, it’s that Ron Paul will not be contained. He will be sought out by the dinosaur-alphabet media and every nutty thing he’s uttered in the last 30 years will be seized upon as a negative for Rand.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

22044 on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

And if he does, that’s a negative in my book. Don’t pull a McCain, Rand. The less you have in common with him, the better off you’ll be politically and otherwise.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I have to admit – I had not seen Ron in the news – as you have.

He is a problem for Rand – I agree with you.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I know, I know of what I write here.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

So… what exactly is your point? That 19 year old college students are dependent on their parents?

What, exactly, does that have to do with the rise of a police state…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I have to admit – I had not seen Ron in the news – as you have.

He is a problem for Rand – I agree with you.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM

That’s because he hasn’t been in the American dinosaur-alphabet media much lately, I’m sure owing to his son’s political aspirations. I was referring to Ron Paul’s recent appearance on Russia Today and his blitheringly stupid and hypocritical stance on Russia’s Crimea annexation.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Smartest guy in the room.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The largest praise I give him is to keep the social issues that divide some of us out of his political area; saying, that we can agree to disagree on social issues and leave it mostly up to the states.

…president of all the people, not just conservate republicans.

Amjean on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

The thing is, any issue that isn’t Left/Libertarian is reduced and denigrated by same as being a “social issue.” Illegal immigration? That’s a “social issue,” so silence, only “old white males” oppose amnesty, etc. Religious liberty? That’s a “social issue,” only “old people” who “believe in myths” support that, otherwise, be quiet, your cross makes me sick… OR SO the Left goes on and on.

The way the Left/Libertarians silence if not condemn actual liberty is they plaster “that’s a social issue” on it and most in the younger adult years walk away from whatever the issue is.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Amjean on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

bazil9 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

What, exactly, does that have to do with the rise of a police state…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The rise of a police state will be embraced by the young pinkos at Berkeley no matter how far from campus they live.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I have to admit – I had not seen Ron in the news – as you have.

He is a problem for Rand – I agree with you.

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM

So, does that Big Bill or Hugh Rodham become problems for Frau Pantsuit…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Smartest guy in the room.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

…at Berkeley. If that isn’t damning with faint praise, I dunno what is.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

So, does that Big Bill or Hugh Rodham become problems for Frau Pantsuit…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Not as long as the dinosaur-alphabet media are willing to gloss it all over her. You do realize that Rand starts with the handicap of having an R next to his name, right?

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I know, I know of what I write here.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

What, exactly, does that have to do with the rise of a police state…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I already made my point/s, JohnGalt23.

Rand Paul gets a standing ovation by playing the one issue that mostly affects the age of that audience: resentment about authority. Most of them will continue to vote Democrat and condemn anything other option.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Reagan united the libertarians and conservatives into an electoral majority by convincing the social conservatives that limited government was also in their best interests by ticking off all the various abridgments of their freedoms of religion and to keep and bear arms.

Paul is doing something very similar and is drawing appreciative crowds or winning votes in places as divergent as Kentucky, C-PAC and Berkeley.

Rand is not his dad Ron.

Don’t misunderestimate him.

Bart DePalma on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Not sure how Rand’s dad is a problem. The mood of the country has turned against Big State Republicans.

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Of course Rand Paul will take heavy flak from the Dems. If I were him, it’s the mainstream Repubs that I’d keep my eye on. They will arrange a meeting with the Tattaglias and, at the last minute, won’t be able to go, and Rand will find himself getting in the car alone with a bunch of thugs. “Can you get me off the hook, Mitch, for Senatorial Courtesy’s sake?” “Sorry, can’t do it, Randy.”

SacredFire on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

What, exactly, does that have to do with the rise of a police state…?

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

What “gryphon202″ just wrote ^^.

And note that it was the fevered pitch by the last round of “nineteen year olds” that managed to lob Obama into office and exacerbate that very “police state”.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Smart man.

dddave on March 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Since we at HotAir are all about making analogies to WWII, I will just state that Adolf was an authority figure too.

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I’d never define Rand’s dad, Ron Paul, as a “Big State Republican.”

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Yes and he played very well to the youth market, too.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

If his daddy would only keep his yap shut.

james hooker on March 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I’d never define Rand’s dad, Ron Paul, as a “Big State Republican.”

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

People are saying Ron Paul is a problem for Rand. I can only assume one would think this because they prefer Big State Republicans versus the more libertarian flavor of Ron Paul.

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Rand is not his dad Ron.

Don’t misunderestimate him.

Bart DePalma on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

The people dismissing Ron Paul as a non-factor in Rand’s pursuit of higher office mostly seem to be people that are predisposed towards liking Ron Paul anyway. This contingency of Ron Paul voters was not enough to propel Ron to the nomination, let alone the presidency.

To understand how Dear Ole Dad might be a liability to Rand, one need only look at how the dinosaur-alphabet media has treated legitimate Republican contenders in the past. If Rand looks to be the least bit serious about climbing the next step of the political staircase, you’d better believe they will do whatever it takes to shut him down. And they will do the easiest oppo research they can do to plant doubts, right or wrong, fair or unfair. It’s what they do. They won’t lie if they don’t have to.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM

He just doesn’t go far enough, but that’s how a politician sounds reasonable I suppose. The NSA and its contractors should be disbanded immediately, and their leadership should be jailed. They have committed felony offenses against US law, and violated the Constitution itself.

Why does James Clapper get to commit felony perjury before Congress and go home a free man? Why does this alphabet soup of criminal agencies continue to dominate the formerly free people of the US?

Another Libertarian on March 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Smartest guy in the room.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

…at Berkeley. If that isn’t damning with faint praise, I dunno what is.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Hey, the guy is smart.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I think you’re wrong. “People” can evaluate politicians on their own merits and issue positions.

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

So how come Ron Paul spent his entire political career as a Republican? And how come he didn’t meet with success in his presidential runs?

Ron Paul will hurt his son because Dear Ole Dad is a kook. A prime example of this is his apologetics for the Putin regime on RT. A level of hypocrisy coming from him that surprised even me.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

This is a great thread -

jake-the-goose on March 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

You will surely be bombed when a Statist Republican wins the WH.

Second thought, maybe you’re pretty safe.

forest on March 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Hey, the guy is smart.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Lots of politicians could be thought of as “smart” in terms of their political savvy. I think this was a politically savvy move to make, but somehow I don’t think voters are going to be saying “Remember that time Rand Paul spoke at Berkeley?” two years from now when they’re deciding who to cast a vote for.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Like I was saying in the headlines, having a figure like Rand Paul in the party, who is less of a kook, and less usable by the likes of Soros than his dad, isn’t such a bad thing. What has intensified youth turnout has been Donks stoking the fear that Republican wins would mean the Jesus Police coming for their weed and pr0n. Eve if the kids at Berserkely don’t vote R, they won’t wake their hung-over friends up on Election Day.

Sekhmet on March 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I don’t either. It’s a mystery. I never bothered to think about Ronald Reagan’s father or his politics.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

antisense on March 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

And denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, folks.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Latest flavor of the day. The media shopping “Republicans” searching to pick the 2016 nominee. Christie disappointed so now it is on to Paul!

The one thing Paul said is true- the GOP can’t abandon votes among young people and in the cities. Paul will never be the nominee but his message is correct.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

And some of them will vote GOP as a result.

That, in the lexicon of the game, is called playing on the other’s guy’s side of the field. Which, since you clearly don’t understand such things, is actually a good thing.

For those of us who don’t enjoy losing, that is…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Now that’s smart power…

PatriotRider on March 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Hey, the guy is smart.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

No, not really — not in the GOP, at least.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Lourdes on March 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

And some of them will vote GOP as a result.

For those of us who don’t enjoy losing, that is…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

We played the other side of the field in 2012. And in 2008. Didn’t we? Or did I miss something?

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

He left the GOP and ran for POTUS on the Libertarian Party ticket in 1988. It was only after his defeat that he realised he needed the GOP more than it needed him, at least at that time.

Have you ever read his leading renouncing his membership in and denouncing the GOP with a dash of asserting that Ronald and Nancy Reagan were emulating ‘Stalin’ thrown in for good measure?

The Hypocrisy of Ron Paul

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM

…. but somehow I don’t think voters are going to be saying “Remember that time Rand Paul spoke at Berkeley?” two years from now when they’re deciding who to cast a vote for.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

The people in that auditorium will, and they will have told others, and they will compare his record to Killary’s.

You begin at the beginning.

M240H on March 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM

…at Berkeley. If that isn’t damning with faint praise, I dunno what is.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

U Cal Nobel Prize Laureates

Yeah. Real bunch of yahoos there in Berkeley…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

No, not really — not in the GOP, at least.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I didn’t say anything about the GOP, Punch. Intelligence as you and I define it is not a requirement for elected office(Debbie Wasserman Schulz *COUGH COUGH*), but politicians must at least be smart enough to keep their finger on the pulse of their respective constituencies. How else would they consistently be re-elected?

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

o/t, but of interest and importance. Ed might wish to cover this story:

Savage Barbarians: Actual, Literal Slaughterhouses For Christians Discovered In Syria

Insane McVain’s buddies.

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Christie doesn’t have a base. His base was primarily a handful of Big $$$ Northeastern donors, the GOP consultant class (that follows the Big $$$), and the media.

Rand Paul does have a base and can expand which is obviously giving a lot of folks heartburn.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Clearly, if you think John McCain running on his support of the Iraq War constitutes playing on the other side of the field, you missed a lot…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

…at Berkeley. If that isn’t damning with faint praise, I dunno what is.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

U Cal Nobel Prize Laureates

Yeah. Real bunch of yahoos there in Berkeley…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Considering who recent Nobel Prize laureates in literature and peace have been lately, I tend to meh at the whole system these days. And a highly disproportionate number of nobel laureates worldwide come from CalTech, not Berkeley.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

His father wasn’t popping up on Russia Today talking about the ‘free and fair’ elections in Crimea.

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

How could it HURT to be making speeches to college kids? Even if 90% still vote for the democratix, exposing some bright young minds to conservatism (which I differentiate from the GOP)can only be to the good.

Ceding the ground to the statists without a fight seems like normal loser GOP policy. “Bbbbut but they will never vote for ‘Pubs! I know this because! Don’t even try it!!”.

I’ll settle for the little darlings NOT voting.

Pless1foEngrish on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

McCain spent his entire political career as a media-hailed “maverick.” What changed? Just the media coverage?

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Good on Rand. He’s willing to go behind enemy lines and explain what I believe is the real conservative message of smaller government in all parts of our lives. Funny how that works, when even liberals begin to see the lessons of too much government.

Tater Salad on March 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

And once again, walk the trenches of Alameda County with me, and then tell me what will and will not wash…

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM

[Ron Paul] left the GOP and ran for POTUS on the Libertarian Party ticket in 1988. It was only after his defeat that he realised he needed the GOP more than it needed him, at least at that time.

The Hypocrisy of Ron Paul

Resist We Much on March 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I was only 10 years old in 1988, and my political formation didn’t really start until the Anita Hill affair. Very illuminating. Also very telling that Ron Paul’s hypocrisy seems to be excused and embraced by so many commenters here.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Of all the contenders and pretenders, I think Cruz and Christie would come out okay if venturing into the belly of the beast- UC Berkeley.

I’ve seen Cruz enter into conversations on the hostile cable talker shows and stand his ground and not lose his cool.

I doubt Christie or Rubio can handle themselves well.

So, from first blush, Cruz and Paul are my standard-bearers, but I also wouldn’t rule out Jeb, purportedly the smart Bush, and one who is comfortable in his own skin.

McCain looked and sounded mean and Romney didn’t look comfortable onstage, though Romney would have made a super and superb president.

My advice to Rs: get someone comfortable in their own skin. Nope, Perry doesn’t quite make it, either.

bumsteaddithers on March 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

JohnGalt23 on March 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I have a few very close friends who live in California. You’d have to pay me generously to even set foot in that state now, and they all know it.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

gryphon202 on March 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Running for POTUS is not running for a House seat… Gryph.

Punchenko on March 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM