Video: 78-foot object found by satellite in Flight 370 search

posted at 8:01 am on March 20, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

For the past two days, investigators in the mystery of Malaysia Air Flight 370 have concentrated on the “southern track,” the potential path of the airplane based on satellite communication after its course change and transponder cut-off. That may have borne the first fruit of the hemispheric search. Satellites picked up two significant objects in the southern Indian Ocean southwest of Australia, one estimated at 78 feet long, and ships are steaming quickly toward both. The two objects have not been confirmed yet to be part of the missing airplane, but Australia considers it to be the most promising lead yet:

ABC US News | ABC Business News

Australia’s prime minister said Thursday that two objects that may be pieces of a missing Malaysia Airlines passenger jet have been spotted in the southern Indian Ocean.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told the Australian Parliament in Canberra that “new and credible information has come to light” on the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, with images of two objects gleaned from satellite imagery. …

John Young, general manager of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, said one object was roughly 80 feet long, while there was another smaller object, and “a number of other images in the general area of the biggest one,” he said.

The tail of a Boeing 777-200 is 60 feet high, the plane is 209 feet long, and the wing span is 199 feet.

“The indication to me is of objects that are a reasonable size and probably awash with water, bobbing up and down on the surface,” Young told a news conference in Canberra.

The imagery contains no markings or other indications that they may be part of the Boeing 777 that went missing almost two weeks ago. The satellite in question was commercial, not military or intelligence, and doesn’t have that kind of resolution. The timing of the photographs may be another issue, at least in terms of precisely locating the debris. The pictures were taken on March 16, four days ago, and anything floating in the manner described may be a significant distance away from their location on March 16 — and that debris could have moved a long way from any potential impact area between the loss of the plane and Sunday.

Naval and air assets are being rapidly deployed to the area:

Australia is investigating two objects seen on satellite images that could potentially be linked to the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, officials say.

Planes and ships from Australia, New Zealand and the US were in or heading to the area 2,500km (1,550 miles) from Perth to search for the objects. …

“This is a lead, it is probably the best lead we have right now. But we need to get there, find them, see them, assess them, to know whether it’s really meaningful or not.”

He warned that poor visibility in the area could hamper the search.

Norway was the first to arrive:

A Norwegian ship, the St Petersburg, reached Thursday the area of the Indian Ocean where possible debris of the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 plane were spotted, shipping company Hoeeg Autoliners said.

We’ll see. This could be nothing at all, or debris from an unrelated incident that has been floating for a long time in the Indian Ocean. Its proximity to the theoretical flight path taken by Flight 370 makes this an intriguing turn of events, although also a pessimistic one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Bmore trick.

cozmo on March 20

did Bmore trick you on this?

must bean inside joke…shrugs

I sent HawkDriver several STL files
he has a printer..
just silly test files nothing special

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Not a trick.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I see this all the time.

Was it piracy in the air to get hostages? Possible but we would have heard something by now..

No, we wouldn’t have heard anything… until it was resolved one way or another… or it was bungled and covered up.

faraway on March 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM

faraway on March 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Easier ways to kidnap people, or get ahold of a plane.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 5:39 PM

faraway on March 20,

hmm..maybe because Diego Garcia is a airbase to the west
with very good radar…so they took that circle..
the circle from the last known transponder ping
plus fuel….time….wind…temps..elevtion…glide..
the model can get complex by adding more data points
along with all the other ppls radars
(when they were truthful)
is that what you mean by ‘ends of the arcs’ ?

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Not a trick.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I failed to bookmark your site when I saw it
or I cant find it….I have a billion bm’s..

if you have a part…
or a printer ..
I can model it up..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM

he makes his own..
600-800 yards..!!
how cool is that..
id like to call him uncle sky pup..
both my uncles were dull compared to that..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Sorry, I didn’t make it clear those are the new FLIR scopes:

RS-32 1.25-5 320X240 19mm $ 3,999
RS-32 2.25-9 320X240 35mm $ 4,499
RS-32 4-16 320X340 60mm $ 7,499
RS-64 1.1-9 640X480 35mm $ 6,499
RS-64 2-16 640X480 60mm $ 8,999

The military draw down is pushing FLIR into the civilian market and they’ve decided they want to OWN the thermal market. The unit they have at the bottom of the list blows the doors of the previous low price leader which was $ 11,000 for a unit that was way below the FLIR unit in terms of features/performance.

And was a LOT more when they were selling it to the government.

PolAgnostic on March 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

PolAgnostic on March 20

the price will continue to drop
as its a larger customer base..
how many can the govt buy…couple hundred thousand…maybe..outside
the public would buy that by the millions..
they should do that with more things…

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM

blink on March 20
faraway on March 20

ahh …sorry thought you meant the land based radar arcs..

thank you blink for helping me get that..
sorry faraway..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Not a trick.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM

cozmo, I have a friend, (just spoke to her on the phone), she is fascinated by all of this mystery surround this jet incident. I told her she might want to read the threads here for some perspective. Is this thread worth reading?

Bmore on March 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

surrounding, sorry

Bmore on March 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

P.S. Hi Ren !!!

Bmore on March 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

were armatures Bmore…hangs head) send her to the pilots page
they are on page 341 and they fly big birds for a living..
maybe the best page ive seen so far on this

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Thanks going2mars, she’ll appreciate that. She is very interested in all this. The perfect conspiracy theory. ; )

Bmore on March 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

yw..
I still got short money on Pakistan…
one full tank of fuel from Israel..

and that’s why we haven’t heard..

(at least I didn’t say black hole)

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM

the pilots wont go all conspiracy theory on ya though..
they are serious ..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

the “laws of physics” doesn’t dictate that the aircraft continued along the path of the arc.

blink on March 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I don’t think anyone is saying the plane flew along the path of the arc. They are only saying that the plane was somewhere on the arc at 8:11 am (MY time?)

faraway on March 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM

blink on March 20

been a while but didn’t you mention that AF planes
would be on the radar as long as they are in the loop…
or something like that…
I also thought that..
and I stayed on the plane tracker at Edwards and no planes
ever come or go.
maybe I misunderstood what you meant..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Who is the original author of the red arcs? Do we have the response time on the 8:11 ping?

faraway on March 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM

hmmm someone on pprune p.342 is saying the gap in the 2 arcs may not be appropriate after all. Saying their are valid reasons why the Pacific sat may not have heard a ping in the area, so it shouldn’t be ruled out.

Given the prior zig-zagging SW, then West, there is no reason to rule out further zig-zagging until 8:11am.

faraway on March 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

This is old news, but weird

contact with the flight had been lost by Malaysian ATC at 02:40.

Subang Air Traffic Control had lost contact with the aircraft at 01:22 and notified Malaysia Airlines at 02:40

ATC tracked it heading back and zig-zagging everywhere, and didn’t notify the airline until they lost it?

faraway on March 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM

wow that sites cameras are good…
maybe too good..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM

?

All I get is live air traffic map of Perth.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM

on FOX news just now the reporter said that Inmarsat
gave the data they had to MA on day two …
took them what 8 , 9 ,10 days to act on it.
if this is the lost 370
I smell a huge lawsuit..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:23 PM

cozmo on March 20

right click on it and open in a new window

s/b Edwards AFB up close….sr71 and all

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM

go to that site
zoom in on your house
closer and clearer than the google sat pics

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:28 PM

maybe its just my old eyes…
sucks to be old…
never get old cozmo

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:31 PM

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I did that.

Apparently it is clearer than google.

I don’t see a date on the photo though.

Sometimes I get the best view from microsoft/bing “Birdseye view”.
Though, they are usually older pics than google.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM

From the department of DUH!

Company says large area slowed analysis of images of possible plane debris

“Given the extraordinary size of the current search area, the lengthy duration of the analysis effort was to be expected,” DigitalGlobe spokesman Turner Brinton said in a statement.

Brinton said the company’s five high-resolution satellites capture more than 3 million square kilometers of earth imagery each day. “This volume of imagery is far too vast to search through in real time without an idea of where to look,” he said.

Murphy9 on March 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM

the laptop I had google on wasn’t HD….
so its a head problem and not my eyes…

how would you like a garage like this one..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

zoom in on your house
closer and clearer than the google sat pics

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Not much clearer.

And the trampoline and gazebo have been gone even longer than the Hummer (old one, no “H” number)in my driveway.

The pic is at least four years old. And its practically downtown Dallas.

Though, only google has a new enough pic of Love Field to show the recent construction and new aircraft at Frontiers of Flight.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

“more than 3 million square kilometers of earth imagery each day.”

each day…..wow

and these guys are a privateer company..
whats the feds see…10 times that??

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

That’s not the F-16XL on the left. What is it?

Kind of boring except to a geek.

Well, it should be daylight west of Perth. I wonder how many eyes are on that stretch of ocean.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM
why did you tell me that..??

does your street start with a D ?

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Dang you G2M! I ain’t gettin’ crap done.

Found the XL. It was around the corner.

And the F-15 with Canards.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM

why did you tell me that..??

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Mainly to brag about what used to be in my drive way. Its in the warehouse now. Too hard on the butt to drive much.

1995 Red wagon with the gas burning Chevy 350 under the hood.

Nope, street starts with _.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM

good..cuz his guy has a trampoline and a gazebo..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

got that and bookmarked it…
do you have a printer??
need a STL file??

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM

you could live here..?

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM

1995 Red wagon with the gas burning Chevy 350 under the hood.

Nope, street starts with _.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM

laffs..
if I have to search every house in Texas
that has red Chevy in the drive
it could take a while.. red you say?

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM

No thank you to Muslim pilots.

That is the reality created by Islam.

Just not worth the risk.

Sherman1864 on March 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM

About six blocks away as the crow flies.

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I don’t have a printer but can get parts from Shapeways.

I have dozens of plans 2D parts that can be resized to fit many kits.

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Since 9-11 you can no longer walk out there. You have to ride their little bus.

The first time I was there, back in the 90′s, you could walk out there and spent much quality time alone with those.

I was especially fond of the P5M, CH-37, PB2Y and PB4Y-2.

But dangit, I didn’t have a digital camera with unlimited capacity then.

Eglin is just a few miles down the road with their museum, and the USS Alabama is just a few miles the other way.

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM

blink on March 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM

In that article there is an diagram showing 3 arrows, one black and two red. The last one ends at a red square labelled 1h 34m.

Do you believe that flight path?

The final radar contact was questioned by some on PPRuNe. It is not consistent with the plane flying a direct path to the area off Australia being searched. It is consistent with the pilot flying around Indonesia or in the direction of Pakistan.

gh on March 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM

cozmo on March 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Back in the late 1920′s when my father got out of business school he took a little trip and spent a little time in Texas. I think he toyed with the idea of staying there. If he had I wouldn’t be here. Anyway one of the things he did was take flying lessons at Love Field.I’m not sure how far he ever went with it. I also used to know someone in Grapevine.

crankyoldlady on March 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM

blink on March 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I don’t know anything. My understanding is that the final ATC contact is either 1:19 (voice) or 1:21 (transponder) according to wikipedia (and other places) and that the final radar contact at 2:15 is a military radar. The military radar contact has been questioned and it is not consistent with some of the theories being bandied about the internet.

gh on March 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

the vice president of Inmarsat is on fox news now….

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

blink on March 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM

if it had been catastrophic crash the power would have been cut..
sounded to me like it wasn’t wired to the external batteries..
and he did say it pinged 8 times.. once an hour
the reason for the northern arc
and southern arc is Diego Garcia I would bet..
and the US has good radar there…
they have B52 there..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 9:47 PM

blink on March 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Because it is inconsistent with some theories. If we were to continue the conversation, it would tell me when to quit while I’m ahead.

gh on March 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM

blink on March 20

you dont sound like you believe this guy at all..

what was your theory??

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM

cozmo on March 20

I tried to mail you
I don’t think it worked
unless your too busy at the factory..
the site didn’t like the
“the default mail client was not properly installed”
when I try and click on it..

going2mars on March 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

blink on March 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

It seems to me to be inconsistent with a crash site in the south indian ocean. Unless the pilot was flying around indonesia. It is hard to imagine that in any scenario.

However, if it is bogus then the Malaysians are lying. It seems an odd thing to lie about.

If this one issue were resolved, my immediate interest in this whole thing would be much less.

gh on March 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM

What other evidence indicates that the aircraft flew deep into the Indian Ocean?

blink on March 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM

None that I know of.

However, everyone seems to accept the inmarsat data, which means the plane must have landed somewhere on the northern arc. If it had crashed I think something would have been found by now. Unless some government is involved.

gh on March 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM

blink on March 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Sorry. I should have said: “if the inmarsat data is valid”.

What makes you think it is not?

gh on March 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM

The_Langoliers got them.

schmuck281 on March 21, 2014 at 1:12 AM

First, I don’t think the aircraft would continue to change course in order to follow the arc.
blink on March 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM

No-one serious believes that.

I see no difference between our positions except that I *dont* have a theory. There are many theories out there most of which are completely ridiculous. If you filter by what is known, taking into account uncertainties, there are a small number of possible theories as long as you don’t insist on unwonted precision.

gh on March 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Prediction: Object in the Indian Ocean SW of Perth Australia has nothing to do with MH370.

Dasher on March 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Feel free to tell me what is definitively known.

What criterion do you use to determine what is “definitive”?

What are they?

To try to enumerate all the possibilities without any idea of what you are willing to believe is a total waste of my time.

blink on March 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Sorry, I don’t have time for any more games. Since you won’t answer direct questions this is a waste of my time. Possibly yours as well.

gh on March 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM

There is a very interesting/intelligent shadow theory proposed by Keith Ledgerwood at his blog. Well worth reading for the education on aviation, flight path, radar systems. Honestly, I am am impressed

After you read his first writeup, try his
Questions/Answers Follow-Up #1 – How Did Malaysian Airlines 370 disappear using SIA68/SQ68?

Wow

He makes our MSM look like munchkins

entagor on March 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

The plane is not where the Aussies are looking.

“When the plane was still missing on Sunday (the day after it disappeared), our engineers looked at the network data and realised that the plane had been sending signals,” Inmarsat Senior Vice President Chris McLaughlin told IBTimes UK.

“We couldn’t say what direction it had gone in, but the plane wasn’t standing still because the signals were getting longer, i.e. further in distance from our satellite.”

This means it was headed East as it intersected the last arc, which means it cant be at the furthest Northern and Southern ends of the arcs.

It was much, much closer to Malaysia.

faraway on March 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Slight correction. Headed ‘East’ isn’t technically correct, is it.

If the plane was at the 50 degree mark (per the arcs images) (the last location), then it could not have come inside the 50 degree mark afterwards. So it stayed in the 40-50 band, going from 50 to some intersection on the 40 arc. This eliminates the Northen most and southernmost halves of the 2 arcs.

Can someone double check the logic on this?

faraway on March 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM

blink, they only have two pieces of data to choose from – plane ID and latency (time)

Signal latency

Latency is the delay between requesting data and the receipt of a response, or in the case of one-way communication, between the actual moment of a signal’s broadcast and the time it is received at its destination. The amount of latency depends on the distance travelled and the speed of light. Light including wireless radiation would take about 0.12 seconds to reach a geostationary satellite (at 36,000 km above the equator), so nearly 1/4 second for a round trip.

The longer the latency, the further the distance from the satellite.

faraway on March 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM

The Sr VP of the satellite company said

the signals were getting longer, i.e. further in distance from our satellite

He probably knows what he’s talking about.

Are you saying that he’s an idiot? Or he lied? Or what?

faraway on March 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM

My original theory still holds true. Totally borne out by all evidence.

Murphy9 on March 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM