Sabato: Pelosi might want to rethink that whole “embrace ObamaCare” thing

posted at 8:51 pm on March 20, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Or at least lay off it a little bit. I suppose it’s tough when those are a lot of the questions you’re fielding as the law you aggressively helped pass is unfolding (and your minimum-wage and war-on-women memes can only do so much to distract from it), but as Larry Sabato put it this afternoon, it’s easy for Nancy Pelosi to embrace President Obama’s crowning legislative achievement and go on the offense considering that she’s from a deep-blue district. Some of her fellow Democrats probably aren’t so appreciative of the strategy.

Look, Nancy Pelosi is from a deep-blue district. I have no doubt in her district, in the San Francisco area, you can be for ObamaCare and not have any electoral problems. The difficulty for Pelosi and the Democrats is, in every single reliable survey for a year, a plurality or majority of Americans have been opposed for a variety of reasons. She’s arguing, the best defense is a good offense. The problem with that is, when you are on the offense, using your time in the public arena to discuss a subject people have more or less made up their minds about, and they don’t like it, you’re wasting your time in the arena. Second point, Neil, which I think is even more important for the midterm elections: The people who favor ObamaCare, which is a minority, aren’t really that enthusiastic about it even if they favor it. But the majority who oppose ObamaCare are much more charged up, and they’re the people who tend to turn up in a low-turnout midterm election.

Comments

The “epiphany” is spreading.

listens2glenn on March 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM

No, please. Keep pimping that monstrosity, NP.

22044 on March 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

What the Democrats should really do is have Obimbo do a speech about it. That’ll sway us.

SoRight on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Okay – so, if obama’s demoturds don’t EMBRACE obamacare, then what else have they got? EVERYTHING that obama has done since he seized power has been a complete disaster, and he claims that obamacare is his “greatest achievement” and his “legacy” – so what else is there?

Pork-Chop on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Affordable, affordable, affordable!

22044 on March 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM

The Wicked Witch of the West is Demented and should be in a Funny Farm, oh….. wait…. she’s in congress…. Never mind…

oscarwilde on March 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Sabato: Pelosi might want to rethink that whole “embrace ObamaCare” thing

Shut the hell up Larry! Let Nancy speak her mind!

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Yep, Patootie, embrace the SUCK.

vnvet on March 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

You know … there’s a couple different ways to interpret that, so I ain’t touchin’ it until I know which way you meant it.

listens2glenn on March 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

What, like spontaneous human combustion hotter?

Like fire and brimstone smoke curling from her nostrils hotter?

Then yes.
Yes, she is.

Pless1foEngrish on March 20, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Pless1foEngrish on March 20, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I was waiting for someone else to say it . . . : )

listens2glenn on March 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM

“rethink”

See, Larry, there’s your problem right there.

WryTrvllr on March 20, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Dear Congresswomen Pelosi and Wasserman Schultz:

We welcome you to our states, and we strongly encourage you to campaign for the honorable Democrat Senators here on how wonderfully affordable the Affordable Care Act has made health insurance.

Warmest Regards,
Republican Senate Candidates

Steve Z on March 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM

You will have ObamaCare stuffed down your throat until moral improves.

VorDaj on March 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Maybe she doubled her doses of Botox and silicone. I wonder what that does to her brain…

Steve Z on March 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

You are one sick puppy, son.

novaculus on March 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

That’s just her flesh starting to burn off.

VorDaj on March 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Pelosi “I picked the wrong week to quit huffing affordable.”

Flange on March 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

She makes a very ugly woman, but a rather handsome pig.

VorDaj on March 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Nan’s anti-lead in the pencil.

CW on March 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Let Nancy be Nancy!

VorDaj on March 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Steve Z on March 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM

She can bring that oversized gavel with her and wear that sh!t eating grin she wore when she strut in front of the parade of idiot dims.

Kaffa on March 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Um……. are you sitting in a bar close to closing time?

Do you have a service animal of any kind?

It really might be time for that visit to the eye doctor. And if your vision is fine then, I suspect that you probably just have a thing for withered old women who have had massive amounts of work done to their face. How much work? Let’s put it this way. I went to an event at Baltimore’s World Trade Center where they had a display of famous Baltimorons. The picture of Nancy Pelosi from the beginning of her political career looks nothing like Nancy Pelosi now. Hard to believe but she used to be an Italian!

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Not even with you ballot.

Axe on March 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I keep wondering why the Demmies re-elect that woman as their leader. Since they did, in my mind, she speaks for them. They’ve got to live with it.

COgirl on March 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Bizarre. Makes me think of the Oracle at Delphi. Someone needs to check for some sort of gas leak.

Axe on March 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

COgirl on March 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

The rest of us here in California do not call it, San Fransicko for no reason… the fluking place is Leningrad on the Pacific, if you know what I mean…

oscarwilde on March 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Yes, if by “getting hotter” you mean “getting closer to dying and going to hell.”

Laura Castellano on March 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM

At last the progressives get their Darwinian moment in the sun. Pelosi must go wherever Ocare takes and her party must go to that place with her or abandon her. Death or Dismemberment. The perfect cure to remove the progressive parsite from the Dem party host.

Tom McDonald on March 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Granny McBotox strikes again.

Rational Thought on March 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Axe on March 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

That could be changing, at least for progressive SanFrnciscans with actual jobs. Early on, one of the types there who support San Fran Nan said, “I’m for universal health care, but I thought somebody else would be paying for it, not me”.

Sooner or later, the TANSTAAFL Rule even hits Haight Street.

clear ether

eon

eon on March 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

lol, hope the b…itch melts.

arnold ziffel on March 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

COgirl on March 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

The secret to Pelosi’s power within the Democrat Party is the money she raises for Congressional candidates around the country.

Pelosi’s Congressional District in San Francisco is so safe that she does hardly any campaigning for herself in San Francisco. Yet she won re-election in 2012 with 85% of the vote.

Rather than campaigning in San Francisco, Pelosi spends her time speaking at fundraisers for other Democrat Congressional candidates. And since Pelosi is famous for keeping a “favor file,” the understanding is that if she raises money for a candidate, that candidate will return the favor by voting for Pelosi to be the Democrat Leader in the House.

If you want to drain Pelosi’s Power in Congress, make sure she receives a large and visible Tea Party welcome every time she arrives at a fundraiser for a Congressional candidate in any city in the country.

If Nancy Pelosi becomes completely toxic for other Democrat Congressional candidates, she will lose her power. And the Democrats will lose a major chunk of campaign money.

The best way to get Nancy Pelosi to retire from Congress is to make it very clear that she has no chance of ever becoming Speaker again.

Pelosi lives on POWER. If the power goes away, so will she.

wren on March 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

eon on March 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

They may change the vessel but not the ideology.

But you bring up an interesting point. What happens when all the issues of the gays have been normalized enough that they may actually worry about jobs, the economy, and normal stuff instead of fighting “mean people?”

Because, face it, it can’t be all about the gays and their “rights” forever. Sooner or later they might actually begin understanding about the concerns that the rest of us care about.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

eon on March 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Another change that has happened in San Francisco over the past 2-ish years is the large influx of young tech workers who are working at companies like Twitter, Google, SalesForce.com etc.

These young people may never become conservative, but they are smarter than your average “Summer Of Love” alum and they are paying taxes.

This change in population may explain the increasing interest in Libertarianism in San Francisco.

wren on March 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Be real nice to see Nancy’s fat ass canned. But we’re talking San Francisco.

GarandFan on March 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

wren on March 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM

There is a similar trend here in DC. The city is becoming gentrified. For the first time since home rule in 1968, there is a chance that the next mayor will be the first white leader since Congress didn’t choose. The blacks are going crazy as a result of the eroding of a chocolate (and largely poor) electorate.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Deep blue or not, it is disturbing that there are enough people who thinks this ditz is worthy of one of the highest offices in the land.

pgrossjr on March 20, 2014 at 10:56 PM

It’s an entirely moot point.

It matters little either way, although Democrats in competitive races who go out of their way to endorse ObamaCare could very well harm themselves. But they wont be able to run away from it either. There simply aren’t any Democrats left who opposed it.

It’s too late to play the “mend it, don’t end it” card, too, in most districts, as all of the major problems ObamaCare is having (except for the website fiasco) were predicted by Republicans from the start. And almost to a man, these Democrats pooh-poohed the criticisms, mocked them openly. And then said some pretty strong things when Republicans asked for a delay in the mandates last fall before the rollout.

So the Democrats are stuck with it, they did it to themselves. Sure, it might be wiser to just not mention it, but they can’t escape the wrath of people who are now realizing that most of them are being asked to pay double premiums for worse coverage than they had.

Adjoran on March 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I’m probably in the minority here, but is Pelosi getting hotter?

She will, after she moves to her ‘Eternal Executive Suite’.
Next to Pol Pot and Josef Mengele.

orangemtl on March 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Pelosi’s constituency would vote for her if she were on the FBI’s most wanted list. Sad.

sadatoni on March 21, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Sometimes, needy and desperate ups the “hot” factor, but most guys smell desperation and run like hell.

Maddie on March 21, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I’m probably in the minority here, but is Pelosi getting hotter?

You might find “The Walking Dead” to be quite erotic.

Tom Servo on March 21, 2014 at 9:26 AM

The Democrats are doing what every leftist party does when their panaceas fail. They double down, and insist that it’s actually working. What, you don’t believe them? Well, for now they don’t have the power to coerce you into believing.

oldennis on March 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Chuck Schick on March 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM

It’s the pre-emptive Hell-fire that you’re noticing. I’m sure if you smelled her up close there would be the distinctive smell of sulfur and burnt botox.

dominigan on March 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM