Undefeated Wichita State coach: I most admire the “brilliant” Charles Koch

posted at 7:21 pm on March 19, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

How do you go from a warmly embraced team, which despite an undefeated record and a No. 1 seed is still viewed as a charming Cinderella most would like to see live up to the hype, to a hated, evil juggernaut program?

Probably like this, from an interview with the head coach of the Wichita State Shockers Gregg Marshall:

Carchia: Which living person do you most admire?
Marshall: Charles Koch. He’s a Wichitan who owns the second-largest privately owned company, Koch Industries. He and his brother [David] are tied for the fourth-richest man in America, and he’s done it with great integrity and commitment to the community. He’s incredibly brilliant.

I love it. He’s simultaneously sincerely saluting a hometown boy made good of Wichita (who also, I should note, funded the Wichita State arena in between bouts of evildoing, which no doubt has a bearing on his ranking for Marshall) and trolling the entire NCAA tournament.

Who knew the Shockers were a Koch-funded astroturf endeavor? And, why does the president have them going to the Sweet Sixteen? Is he in on it??!

Comments

Ok now my second favoite team. Go Nova!

steel guy on March 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

The IRS is no doubt already searching out his files.

itsnotaboutme on March 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Harry Reid is NOT please.

portlandon on March 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Yeah, I had a similar experience at Mount Vernon. Turns out the evil DeVos family (Amway) not only spent millions on hospitals and other philanthopy in Michigan, they also were major donors to the “interpretive center” at George Washington’s home. Names etched in limestone generous.

Other than PACs who has Soros helped out? Biden and his wife don’t even top $500 in charitable contributions. Evildoing apparently pays better.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM

O’ thought it was the Coke brothers.

vnvet on March 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM

As a Wichitan, I can say that we are proud of Coach Marshall, the Koch Brothers and Koch Industries. Koch Industries has done so much for the community here including renovating WSU’s arena, which is now called ‘Charles Koch Arena.’ Go Shox!

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Ok now my second favoite team. Go Nova!

steel guy on March 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Here in Suburban DC, Nova means Northern VA Community College. Which is far less pretentious some PA college that finds it too damned hard to use the first two syllables of its name.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Shut up and coach. Seriously, who cares what some basketball dude has to say? Yeah, I’m fine with the Koch bros. I just don’t need to hear it from Mr. Jock.

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Some comfort as Boeing jobs disappear.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

He was asked the question in an interview with ESPN and he gave his honest answer. What do expect him to say?

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Some comfort as Boeing jobs disappear.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Yeah, but Spirit Aerosystems has taken over Boeing’s old plant and quite a bit of work is still being done here. Cessna has picked up the slack through expanding a few lines over the years. Wichita isn’t hurting.

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

He was asked which living person he most admired.

Shut up and coach would only apply if he volunteered that statement on his own. For no reason.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I get it. You don’t like sports and you loathe Jesus. Now run along, Skippy.

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

OK, fine.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Oh! I’m sure Wichita isn’t hurting. Too much skilled aerospace labor and facilities there. Less rosy in St. Louis.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

They pay well also.

Bmore on March 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I am SO for Wichita State now. Even though their winning would mess up my bracket.

WannabeAnglican on March 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Wrong and wrong. I consider jocks to be like Hollyweird or musicians with different talents. I want them to entertain us and keep their “wisdom” to themselves.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Haahahaha! LOLZ MKH!!! that’s awesome..

ted c on March 19, 2014 at 7:54 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Yeah a lot of preaching in that comment. And, again, HE WAS ASKED WHO HE ADMIRED. Give it up, you’re making yourself look stupid.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Shut up and…well…just shut up.

Nutstuyu on March 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM

You actually don’t know anything about the influence of Soros in Europe? Try googling ‘soros color revolution’
Do you think every well organized protest in E. Europe just materializes out of think air? Some of the coverage amounts to nothing more than conspiracy theories, but Soros shouldn’t be underestimated.

bayam on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Again, he didn’t offer the information. He answered the question in an interview. He didn’t see any reason to be a d!ck about it. With that said, I would agree that these types of interviews are full of irrelevant softball questions and ultimately are just fluff. As far as that goes, that’s most of Obama’s ‘interviews’ for pete’s sake.

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 8:04 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

ES you tiresome blowhard.

CW on March 19, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Yeah, we’ve been lucky so far. That’s not the same picture everywhere, I agree.

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

bayam on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Somehow I suspect the poster was talking about America.Oh and you tiresome pos can ES as well…..weirdly you have been absent from so many of the O-care threads……hmmmm.

CW on March 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.
MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Well, I think it’s safe to say Bill Maher is MJ’s most admired person.

Dongemaharu on March 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

IRS audit incoming

Then a CBS 60 minutes report on his past history of how he is a racist because when he coached at Winthrop in South Carolina he ate dinner with his neighbor who flew a confederate flag on his property.

That will air prior to a game Wichita State plays in.

tcufrog on March 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Seriously, who cares what some basketball dude has to say?
MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

It was an interview! You do know how that works, right?

pain train on March 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Seriously, who cares what some basketball dude has to say?
MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

It was an interview! You do know how that works, right?

pain train on March 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM

heh.

CW on March 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Ms. Lerner, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

blammm on March 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Being an a$$ just comes natural to you, doesn’t it?

Bitter Clinger on March 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I’d much rather hear from Gregg Marshall than I would from you. And yet, here you are. Failing to entertain us with your “wisdom”.

Bitter Clinger on March 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Give it up, you’re making yourself look stupid.

Happy Nomad

Why should today be different from any other, lol?

xblade on March 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Well, I think it’s safe to say Bill Maher is MJ’s most admired person.

Dongemaharu

Obama would be a safer bet.

xblade on March 19, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I hope Wichita State goes all the way! I finally have some skin in this Tournament. There will probably be demonstrations outside the arena when Wichita State plays.

oldennis on March 19, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Good thing Wichita State isn’t looking for tax-exempt status.

oldennis on March 19, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Seriously, who cares what some basketball dude has to say?

He was asked.

Chuck Schick on March 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM

His laptop is probably being hacked by the NSA right now.

Philly on March 19, 2014 at 8:52 PM

bayam on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Gotta say I would have never thought to look for you on this thread. Missed your insight on this one though.

Bmore on March 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I have a new favorite team.

Jaibones on March 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM

bayam on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

We said something good…..

Barred on March 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM

“think air”

Heh. What a jackass.

Jaibones on March 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM

And in fact, I do think it is interesting who very successful people admire. It goes to who they are and often whey they are.

CW on March 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

…I’m torn…I ant Wichita State to be the Cinderella Team, especially because it would cause liberal heads to explode after what the coach said……….and I want JugEars to be right…….for once in my life!

KOOLAID2 on March 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

You would have just whined and sniveled about that, too.

Solaratov on March 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Evidently, you find it difficult to understand that the man was asked a question; and he answered that question.
He didn’t editorialize. He didn’t try to impart ‘wisdom’. He simply answered a question.
Try to come to grips with that…if you can. Or try to find someone to explain it to you again.

Damn, but you leftists are a stupid lot!

Solaratov on March 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM

If all five Wichita State players foul out in the first 10 minutes of the game, it may be time to do an Open Secrets campaign donation search on the referees for the first time ever (though if Marshall gets T-ed up and ejected during pre-game warm-ups, not need to even do that…)

jon1979 on March 19, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I consider jocksPresident Obama to be like Hollyweird or musicians with different talents. I want them to entertain usact like a President and keep their “wisdom” to themselves.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM

monalisa on March 19, 2014 at 9:59 PM

ESPN interview :

Carl Carchia : Which living person do you most admire?

Gregg Marshall : Charles Koch. He’s a Wichitan who owns the second-largest privately owned company, Koch Industries. He and his brother [David] are tied for the fourth-richest man in America, and he’s done it with great integrity and commitment to the community. He’s incredibly brilliant.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Awright ‘Brutus ! … Give ‘em one for me !

Don’t take this political nonsense from the world of sports.

Carl Carchia was totally ‘out-of-line’ with that kind obviously politically charged question.
I don’t know why ESPN keeps these kind of sports reporters around.

There was no reason for Carl— . . . . . oh, you weren’t criticizing Carl Carchia ? …
You were criticizing Gregg Marshall ?

‘ THE HELL’S THE MATTER WITH YOU ? ! ! !

listens2glenn on March 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Lovin’ our Shox & coach Marshall! The guys on this team are the epitome of what a college team should be — an unselfish, (reasonably) humble, cohesive bunch that are appearing to have loads of fun on the court and behaving themselves off it. Marshall has taken WSU to the NIT championship in 2011, the Final Four last year, and 34-0 this year — awesome!!!

KS Rex on March 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Marshall can flat out coach. He was impressive when at Winthrop prior to Wichita State.

I’d go as far as to say he’s as good a coach as MJBrutus is a cockroach’s anus. That’s quite the superlative, I’ll grant that.

But I stand by my opinion on this.

Anti-Statist on March 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Seriously, who cares what some basketball dude has to say?
MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

MKH seems to make an effort to highlight conservative-friendly or pro-conservative messages in pop and sports culture. It’s good she does this. Anything that counters the hate this guy will receive and helps bring positive light to conservative views in mainstream culture is a good thing.

Dismissively calling someone “Mr. Jock” or “basketball dude” is incredibly snobby.

bluegill on March 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.
MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Sounds like you have something against athletes. Maybe you were always picked last for dodge ball as a kid.

bluegill on March 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Corporal Tunnel on March 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

If you want to see what MJBrutus looks like, they have his photo right next to the dictionary entry for doubling down.

itsnotaboutme on March 20, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Damn, it’s too late to change my brackets.

BuckeyeSam on March 20, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Undefeated Wichita State coach: I most admire the “brilliant” Charles Koch

Hey Progressives…consider this a Double-Flip-OFF to start out your day !!

Have a nice day :) hahahaha

BigSven on March 20, 2014 at 7:59 AM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

What jocks usually say. I want to thank Jaysus for our winning season.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

You may need too have that deep seated hatred analyzed by a professional. Get stuffed in the gym locker as a High Schooler?

Doomsday on March 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Nice, another man who still thinks he can say what he thinks. However, Go Gators!

Kissmygrits on March 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Marshall rocks and so do the Shockers! GO SHOX!

journeyscarab on March 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

bayam on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Bayam, do you have a comprehension problem or is just that your love of all things progressive blinds you?

The question was what charitable contributions does Soros make? The only thing Soros contributes to is political and specifically to cause unrest and create market turmoil. It is how he amasses his billions. He is the epitome of pure, unadulterated greed. He would sell his mother, wife, children and anyone else if it brought him more billions. How else can you explain a Jew who sells his Jewish bretheren down the river? Pull your blinders off and think.

Neitherleftorright on March 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM