Yes: Disney and Pixar announce sequel to “The Incredibles”

posted at 9:21 pm on March 18, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Bring it on. It’s rare that a a film so high-quality and mainstream has been so unabashedly friendly to libertarian values and individualism as “The Incredibles.” Superheroes forced to go underground because of frivolous lawsuits from the victims they saved. Talented people longing to break free of enforced mediocrity in a society that resents them. A desire to use their talents for good that manifests in crime-fighting vigilantism. Characters who become fully realized only when they’re being as fully exceptional as they can be, haters be damned. A super-villain who utters this sentiment:

Also, Holly Hunter and Craig T. Nelson as voice talent. And, Elastigirl is one of the coolest representations of a mom in kids’ cinema ever. Always love a Pixar project. I’m excited the timing means this one may be the first I see with my daughter.

Officially announced by Disney Chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger at today’s shareholder’s meeting, that sound you can probably hear is Pixar fans’ brains exploding.

The project is in the very early stages – Brad Bird has only just put pen to paper – but just the fact that Disney / Pixar will be continuing the adventures of Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and their children Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack is reason enough to celebrate.

Comments

I’ll bet there’s going to be some climate change in there somewhere.

LeftCoastRight on March 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

The best Pixar movie, by a long shot. No capes!

Mr. D on March 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

You and me both, MKH. Also, Congrats on the birth of your youngin’!!!

Gothguy on March 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Excellent. I have been hoping for this for a while. My absolute favorite from Pixar.

Jeff Weimer on March 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

This has been a no-brainer all along. The first film knocked it out of the park, so a sequel has been awhile in coming.

I’m excited. It’ll be a great flick to take the grandkids to.

CitizenEgg on March 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

It’s about time.

Philly on March 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I saw a documentary on Pixar, and it seemed to be that the genius of their films is that their stories give formed organically by a lot of people that focus on their own part of it, instead of top down by a single writer (like the Star Wars prequels).

Count to 10 on March 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I hope the sequel is as good as the first.

FloatingRock on March 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

They are only making a sequel to mock conservatives and conservative values. It will total BS and a waste of time. The Muslim will be the hero, the son and daughter will have homosexual lovers and the baby will be a hermaphrodite.

thgrant on March 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

The final scene will most likely be a family orgy, followed by attendance at the SF Gay Pride Festival.

thgrant on March 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

The first film did over 630 million worldwide gross with a production cost of 92 million. That does not include the DVD sales. Why has it taken 10 years to decide to do a squeal?

Wallythedog on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I heard about this yesterday, and I was initially a little worried until I saw that Brad Bird was attached to the project as a writer and tentatively as a director. I really think his creative touch made the first movie what it was. I saw The Incredibles in the theater, and I would gladly go see a sequel as well with Bird’s name on it.

gryphon202 on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I’ll bet there’s going to be some climate change in there somewhere.

LeftCoastRight on March 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Heh. Don’t forget the new superhero character that gets included — LGBTQ man/woman

Franklin100 on March 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

thgrant on March 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Well maybe there’s a Team America: World Police sequel coming too; they were released the same year, weren’t they?

CitizenEgg on March 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

good

rob verdi on March 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Heh
This thread could be as hilarious as the one about the reimagination of It’s A Wonderful Life

Also, Cars 3 is coming, yawn

22044 on March 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Great Film. I hope it doesn’t end up being diluted by numerous sequels.

CitizenEgg on March 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

yes… I wish, but they hated making it : (

lexhamfox on March 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I could care less. Done with the new anti-family values Disney.

Kjeil on March 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

yes i heard about this earlier!! i am

SO

VERY

EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

the incredibles is without a doubt one of my favorite movies ever. it’s been ten years!!! what took them so long?

Sachiko on March 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Wonder if they’ll include the babysitter, and that government “spooky” guy in this one?

listens2glenn on March 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I’ve been wondering why they havent already done this. This is one of my favorite animated movies. Despicable Me gives it pretty stiff competition.

ritewhit on March 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Are they going to let Brad Bird have full creative control? I suspect based on the first film’s success, letting the original writer and director actually write and direct this one without ‘creative input’ from the Disney execs in some way is unlikely, especially since the libertarian theme of “The Incredibles” is no secret (my guess — New ‘normal’ character introduced for the sequel somehow helps save the family in this one. Therefore, everybody’s special).

jon1979 on March 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM

*** Excellent ***

canopfor on March 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Edna. Mode.

… and guest.

the_moll on March 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

The only Pixar movie I go back to time after time. Frankly, it’s amazing it even got made. Craig T was perfect. Maybe the only time the father of a movie wasn’t stupid.

Dongemaharu on March 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM

thgrant on March 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Heh. If the project had been handed off to Disney, that wouldn’t surprise me. But Pixar has been able to resist such things. So far.

Glad to hear Brad Bird is on the project.

Splashman on March 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

the_moll on March 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

“breathes like Egyptian cotton.”

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Sachiko on March 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Part of me wishes it wasn’t going to get made at all. In Pixar’s first fifteen years, they made exactly ONE sequel (Toy Story 2). Since then, we’ve had Toy Story 3 (awesome), Cars 2 (ugh), Brave (original, but meh), and Monsters U (pretty good). And after two original films in 2015 (Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur), Pixar will relocate to sequel city (Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2).

Of course I’m excited to see Incredibles 2. But that doesn’t mean I can’t wish Pixar would give Disney’s merchandisers the finger and go back to making original movies as the rule, not the exception.

Splashman on March 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM

“Fight! Win!”

The Republican Party needs an Edna Mode. Great movie.

rrpjr on March 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Wallythedog on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Thankfully because for once a Hollywood studio respected the wishes of the original’s writer/director to hold off on any follow-up until he felt he’d come up with something worthwhile. Granted, it’s a lot easier to do this with animated features compared to live action, but I’ll still give Disney props for not fasttracking a crappy sequel just to cash in on the success of the first one. They also waited 11 years to do Toy Story 3(which turned out great in the end), so they seem to be a patient bunch when it comes to Pixar franchises.

Doughboy on March 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Doughboy on March 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM

“Disney”? You’re confusing (or equating) Disney with Pixar. If Disney were deciding which films Pixar made, we’d already have Incredibles 2, Incredibles 3, Incredibles 1-and-a-half, and IncrediBefores (the prequel).

Splashman on March 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Thanks for some good news. I needed it today.

s1im on March 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Yes. I’ll admit it. I’m in my forties. And Jack-Jack rules.

guido911 on March 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I can’t watch CGI cartoons, the movements are way too unnatural.

Much better.

whatcat on March 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM

the_moll on March 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

The name’s incrediboy

….I’m not affiliated with him.

Oil Can on March 19, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Hope they don’t fudge it up! Meanwhile, I’m very excited about the Peanuts movie… looks like they’re on the right track with that one :)

Another EXCELLENT Brad Bird movie is The Iron Giant

Ugly on March 19, 2014 at 12:33 AM

So they’re finally going to take on the Underminer?

“… I’m always beneath you, but nothing is beneath me! ….”

They shouldn’t have waited 10-12 years for the sequel. It’s way too long of a delay, but we’ll see if they can bridge all the problems associated with it.

Dusty on March 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM

The fact that they lured Brad Bird back for this gives me very high hopes. Had he not been involved, it would be the disaster some are predicting here. But with him penning the sequel, we can expect more of the same (which is a very good thing).

Rusty Nail on March 19, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Splashman on March 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Disney owns Pixar, so I guess we wouldn’t.

Ronnie on March 19, 2014 at 1:55 AM

I’m very surprised this took so long. I hope they turn it into a series.

KMC1 on March 19, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Disney owns Pixar, so I guess we wouldn’t.

Ronnie on March 19, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Disney is not stupid, and they did not buy Pixar so they could kill it or absorb it. There is a reason Pixar continues to produce movies in Emeryville, far away from Burbank. It is meant to function as its own studio.

Rusty Nail on March 19, 2014 at 2:34 AM

I’m excited. It’ll be a great flick to take the grandkids to.

CitizenEgg on March 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I can’t believe only “Dusty” (at 12:34 AM) remembered The Underminer from the very end of the first film, which basically guaranteed a sequel.

One of the 20 best films of all time deserves a high-quality sequel, & Bird will give us one.

itsnotaboutme on March 19, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Wiki reports in its Brad Bird essay re. The Incredibles:

In the finished picture, Bird also provides the voice of costume designer Edna Mode.[1] As an inside joke, the character Syndrome was based on Bird’s likeness (as was Mr. Incredible) and according to him, he did not realize the joke until the movie was too far into production to have it changed.

They also note that Tom Cruise insisted on Bird directing Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal because Cruise was so impressed by The Incredibles.

itsnotaboutme on March 19, 2014 at 3:34 AM

But will there be capes?

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Support the queer mafia. Give your dollars to Disney.

Murphy9 on March 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Right…like Ghostbusters 2, I anticipate some victory of the politically correct. It’s not going to be the same.

Ricard on March 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I’ve been waiting for this since the Incredibles first came out!!!! YES!!

Publius_jr on March 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

LONG over due…

“Where’s my super suit…?”

Kuffar on March 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM

The Incredibles is probably my favorite animated feature, along with Toy Story 3. They were both phenominal but I’ll lean towards The Incredibles because it shows so many conservative/libertarian principles!

No Capes!!

ManWithNoName on March 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Thank God, been waiting on this one for a while

falcaner on March 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM

But will there be capes?

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Heh. “I never look back dahling; it distracts from the now.”

Seriously always LOVED Pixar’s combining truly entertaining scenes with the plot touches of helping children get little as well as big things: like, capes are dangerous to jump around in, laughing at monsters is far more effective than being scared of them, excellence is something to celebrate, etc.

The Incredibles is the best Pixar movie bar none — can’t wait for the sequel. As others said, Brad Bird’s involvement is a really good sign.

inviolet on March 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Finally finally finally finally finally finally finally finally finally.

Now just four more years to wait while they write and animate the thing.

The Schaef on March 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

The sequel will atone for this. And it will be a dud.

I hope I’m wrong about that.

Herod on March 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Yeeeaah…remember when Tiny Tom Cruise was so embarrassed by all the teary-eyed veterans thanking him for Top Gun that he never made another movie with even a hint of sympathy for them? Pretty much what I expect here.

Knott Buyinit on March 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Knott Buyinit on March 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I worked with a Navy Commander helicopter pilot some years ago who was in Top Gun – the San Diego helicopter squadron he was in was used as extras in some scenes – like the graduation. He said Cruise was an arrogant @sshole who wouldn’t have anything to do with the real Navy guys; but Tom Skerritt and several of the other main actors were pretty cool – hung out and had a few beers with the Navy guys and actually wanted to hear their war stories.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

About time!

neyney on March 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM

So they’re finally going to take on the Underminer?
“… I’m always beneath you, but nothing is beneath me! ….”

Dusty on March 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I’d love to see them start with where the first movie ended – dealing with the Underminer.

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Of course that might not be possible – since all the kids are now 10 years older than they were when they did the first movie…..

dentarthurdent on March 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I don’t know what it is about this movie, but I like it. Watch it every time I catch it on TV.

“Superheroes forced to go underground because of frivolous lawsuits from the victims they saved.”

I’d hate to live in NYC not only for the taxes, but the insurance rates, especially after what the Avengers did.

Farnsworth on March 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Well it’s about time!
I had the opportunity to work with Brad Bird on one of his first films called “Iron Giant”.

He’s an amazing director and a fantastic guy.
Go get em’ Brad!!

Handel on March 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Ricard on March 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

You do know they’re supposed to be starting work on a “Ghostbusters 3″, right? (Google it for details…)

ReggieA on March 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM