Video: The Nebraska Senate primary air wars take off

posted at 8:41 am on March 18, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Back in January we took an early look at the Senate primary race heating up in Nebraska to replace Mike Johanns. Two of the candidates we discussed at the time were Ben Sasse and Shane Osborn, and the commenters here offered a lot of useful background and thoughts on both of them. The race continues to slowly move toward high gear, and this week the first television ads are going up.

Former Nebraska Treasurer Shane Osborn, who is running in a competitive GOP Senate primary, launched his first TV ad Monday.

With less than two months to go before the May 13 primary, Osborn is running a biographical ad that reaches back to an international incident he was involved in as a Naval aviator. It will be a two-week, $80,000 buy, according to an Osborn source, but Nebraska is a relatively cheap media market and Osborn’s advertising is expected to increase…

Osborn’s ad features his military service, specifically targeting his imprisonment at the hands of the Chinese. He melds that into a message highlighting the need for strong leaders who won’t fold, getting in a hit on Obamacare at the same time. It’s a particularly good time for such a message, given the current focus on foreign policy issues surrounding Ukraine.

At nearly the same time, the Legacy Foundation Action Fund dumped $325K into an ad for Ben Sasse, also going positive. It features Sasse’s commitment to fight Obamacare and cut spending, which ties in nicely to his fiscally conservative resume. He also touts an endorsement from Paul Ryan and a positive piece from National Review.

These are both good ads, not wasting ammo attacking the other primary candidates, but focusing on issues and resumes. That’s probably a good call in any event, because do you really want to come out of the gate going negative on a military hero? These two will also face Sid Dinsdale and Bart McLeay in the primary election. I have to admit, I’m a little bit jealous of Nebraska. (Okay.. I’m from New York. I’m a lot jealous.) Looks like they have some good examples of new blood to inject into the public debate. The videos follow. Let us know what you think.

First, the Osborn piece.

And the Sasse ad.

Comments

TruCons!!!!

Bmore on March 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

OMAHA!!

ToddPA on March 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

They both seem like fine candidates, but what differentiates them is who they are backed by.

Osborn will owe his victory to McConnell and the Chamber of Commerce.

Sasse will owe his victory to conservative grassroots organizations.

commodore on March 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I’m a little bit jealous of Nebraska.

Every state should be a little jealous of Nebraska.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Osborn was the EP-3 pilot? We’re STILL dealing with the fallout from that. Mode 5 IFF hasn’t yet been fully implemented.

Jeff Weimer on March 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Went off thread to research each of them a bit more. I would go with Sasse.

Bmore on March 18, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Sasse seems like the logical follow-up to Jolly. Just sayin’…

Oh, and if you’re voting in Illinois today, Doug Truax.

Fallon on March 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Sorry, I could never vote for a guy endorsed by Paul Ryan. You know, the guy that gutted military pensions while maintaining tax credits for illegals. Who’s to say that Sasse wouldn’t do the same thing?

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Yep. Its a tough call. Easier for me since I have no vote in it. Still though, one has to be picked. Would you go with Osbourne then?

Bmore on March 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Not from Nebraska but I like Osborn on the strength of not having Paul Ryan’s endorsement. I’m guessing Ryan finds his military background, gauche.

BKeyser on March 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Love Nebraska! Never a shortage of conservative candidates for big races, but we need to focus more at local level….too many libs have recently run as cons in state senate races & today our unicameral is debating a bill to implement Medicaid expansion & Obamacare after our governor refused to bite in that carrot initially…#Crikey

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Never a shortage of conservative candidates for big races…

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Then explain Bob Kerry.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Bmore on March 18, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I don’t have a dog in the fight either. I agree with Jazz Shaw that staying positive is the right approach. That being said, I thought Osbourne’s “heroism” was over-inflated at the time seeing he got his plane downed and who knows what technology stolen by the Chinese. But to run on that incident from 2001 and not his political accomplishments since then……. pretty thin for an opening salvo. Sasse actually had the better ad, even if he’s a Paul Ryan Republican (which means he is probably for amnesty too).

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Palin endorsed Sasse. That’s the gold standard, I don’t care what you say.

UODuckMan on March 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

BTW….I am supporting. Osborn….despite the. Palin endorsement of Sasse….Osborn has a proven record of fiscal discipline as state treasurer & I have higher level of confidence he will not go RINO on us…Sasse, being from the world of academia does not inspire that level of confidence……

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

BKeyser on March 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I’m not a big fan of Paul Ryan either, but I do like Sasse’s other endorsements. Club for Growth, Erick Erikson, Senate Conservatives Fund, Sarah Palin, and there are probably a couple other good ones I’m missing.

ritewhit on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Palin endorsed Sasse. That’s the gold standard, I don’t care what you say.

UODuckMan on March 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Gold Standard for me is how many times. I’ve seen candidates say anything to get elected & then betray their statements under pressure in DC…..Ben Nelson, while he was a Dem was pro life, until he voted for cloture on Obamacare………Research shows there is no perfect candidate, however even though I lean a bit Libertarian & am totally adverse to the GOP elitists, in this case being close to the ground on this race & in touch with reality I just plain trust a Vet with a fiscal conservative record having already held office at state level than a guy from academia world…..

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Every state should be a little jealous of Nebraska.

^5. Except for the winters….lol

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

So as I said above, why not run on that instead of an international incident from 2001?

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I don’t know Sasse except from what I have read, but I can’t go with Osborn…I still think he should have ditched in the ocean. I wasn’t there though. On another race in Nebraskas third district, check out Col. Tom Brewer in the race against Adrian Smith. The guy is amazing. Took six rounds in a fight with the Taliban and kept on going. Good family man and a hard core conservative.

serenity on March 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Hey darlin’
Long time no see!
I am still torn between them both…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Ah yes, Cornhusker Love…get a room!

serenity on March 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Both very good candidates, but going with Sasse on this one.

GOPRanknFile on March 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I think Sasse wins this one.

ConservativePartyNow on March 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Then explain Bob Kerry.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Nebraskans tend to reward former governors with Senate seats…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I think Sasse wins this one.

ConservativePartyNow on March 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Looking that way to me as well…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Jeff Weimer on March 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Jeff, as a former mission commander on EP-3′s, I’m curious what fallout you’re referring to?

NavyMustang on March 18, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Hey darlin’
Long time no see!
I am still torn between them both…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Howdy OC! Been busier than a one armed paper hanger…wrapping up 2 month stay in Southern FL…middle son got married down here & lives here so we came down to help out a bit before & after…headed back to husker land Apr 1….hopefully the Frozen tundra will be thawed out by then :-)

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

It is 45 and sunny this morning…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Ah yes, Cornhusker Love…

serenity on March 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Husker du.

Fallon on March 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Go Nebraska!

I’m leaning toward Sasse at the moment as I think he’s got the higher ceiling, but if either candidate does something to change my mind in between now and May, I’ll be open to changing my vote. Kinda wish we could get one of them to drop out and run for Governor instead. The GOP field is much weaker in that race.

LukeinNE on March 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Go Nebraska!

LukeinNE on March 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I am leaning toward Sasse as well. Dittoes about the gubernatorial race—-NO WAY will I vote for Ricketts, so far Jon Bruning gets my vote. Dave will be a tough one to replace…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Sasse for Senate. Foley for governor.

NebCon on March 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Sasse for senator. Foley for governor.

NebCon on March 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I’ve gotta side with huskerdiva on this one.

butch on March 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

It is 45 and sunny this morning…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 10:37 AM

My weather app tells me we’re going to get a “wintry mix” tonight. Yum!!!!

catsandbooks on March 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, Osborn’s ad kind of turned me off, too. He won his first office using the Chinese incident, but that was several years ago. What have you done lately, Shane? Unless something really bad from the past gets dredged up, I’m leaning towards Sasse. Equally important is who are my fellow Nebraskans voting for for governor? For some reason or another, Ricketts gives me the creeps.

catsandbooks on March 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM

And…..our Mayor of Omaha, Jean Stothart has a CCW permit and carries.

Red State Orgasm!

KirknBurker on March 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Sasse for Senate. Foley for governor.

NebCon on March 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Just my opinion, but Foley strikes me as a bit of a jackwagon. Several of his big busts seem to me to be less about substance and more about looking good for the cameras. I’ll probably throw my vote away on Carlson (he represents the legislative district I grew up in) and then weigh my options in November.

LukeinNE on March 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM

catsandbooks on March 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Ditto on Ricketts vibes…..I’m supporting Jon Bruning for Gov & Mike Hilgers for AG, both are strong conservatives who support repeal of ACA, smaller government & fiscal restraint. BTW I had my CCW 2 years before Mayor Jean :-)

huskerdiva on March 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Sort of seems like Ricketts is trying to buy the office, like he did the first time he ran here. My two cents worth.

serenity on March 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM

serenity on March 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Yep, big turn off to me, too. Along with his goofy ‘bald’ ads. Hard to take him seriously…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Palin is also endorsing him

KBird on March 18, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Palin is also endorsing him

KBird on March 18, 2014 at 1:57 PM

The last senate candidate Palin endorsed in NE will soon be our Senior Senator…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Palin also endorsed Sasse. I think her endorsement is more influential that Paul “job shortage” Ryan. I’m sure her endorsement just slipped your mind, right Jazz Shaw?

rjc115 on March 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM

The Koch Brothers haven’t told me who to vote for yet, so I am undecided. /s

airupthere on March 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Along with his goofy ‘bald’ ads. Hard to take him seriously…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Aw-w-w, c’mon, OC! Those “bald” commercials are the best thing I’ve seen in this whole campaign. Talk about turning a negative into a positive. I’d vote for him based on that alone — except he still gives me the creeps.

catsandbooks on March 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM

catsandbooks on March 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Heh…
Besides being creepy, there is something phony and smarmy about him. I don’t know anyone who is voting for him…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Then explain Bob Kerry.
cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Most recently, he was recruited from NY and nominated by Dems to run for Senate. He was then destroyed by conservative, Deb Fischer, in the general election.

I think politics in Nebraska have changed significantly since Ben Nelson was the deciding vote for cloture on Obamacare. It was embarrassing to the state as a whole. It used to be a conservative state that would elect the occasional Blue Dog to the Senate or Governor. Lesson learned the hard way.

Nelson and his deciding vote for Obamacare singlehandedly killed the Democratic Party in this state for years. Now is the time to get the most conservative politicians possible into office.

Kerrey held office during the Blue Dog Haze days of Nebraska politics. He thought he could carpetbag his way to Nelson’s Senate seat and didn’t realize that the jig was up. Even Obama lost the EV from Omaha in 2012 that he had won in 2008.

Whoever is the most conservative out of these two should be elected. To me, Osborn seems more of an establishment pick at this point.

airupthere on March 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM

airupthere on March 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM

That whole Cornhusker Kickback was damned embarrassing and we Nebraskans do not like being in a nationwide unfavorable light. We actually don’t seek national attention at all…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Amen to that. Ben just kind of screwed the pooch for the whole state, not to mention the nation. That could have been the shot heard round the world but instead he fizzled. Got a good gig going now or so I’ve heard.

serenity on March 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Bud Synhorst
March 14, 2014 (402) 310-3120

Republican Gubernatorial Candidates to Debate in Broken Bow Mar. 23

LINCOLN, Neb. – The six Republican Party candidates seeking election to the Governor seat will appear for a candidate debate March 23 at 3 p.m. (CST) at the One-Box Convention Center in Broken Bow. The debate is sponsored by the Nebraska Republican Party in partnership with the Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation (NFBF). Candidates participating in the debate include Tom Carlson, Beau McCoy, Jon Bruning, Mike Foley, Pete Ricketts and Bryan Slone.

“This debate provides one of the best opportunities for Nebraska voters to become familiar with Republican candidates running for Governor and better understand their positions on important issues to Nebraska,” said J.L. Spray, Nebraska Republican Party chairman.

“We believe it is important that Nebraska voters have the opportunity to learn as much as they can about the candidates running for Governor and this debate will provide an opportunity for our members and others to hear directly from the Republican candidates in the race about their perspective on key rural and agricultural issues,” said Steve Nelson, NFBF president.

The debate is open to the public, but seating is limited, and tickets are required. Tickets may be obtained by contacting the Nebraska Republican Party. For those outside of the Broken Bow area, the debate will also be aired live on the radio and through live audio and video streaming on the internet.

“We are grateful to have KRVN, KFOR, and 1011 News providing coverage and for the Farm Bureau’s assistance promoting the debate. Any Nebraskan interested in learning more about the Republican candidates will be able to hear and see this debate, and we look forward to promoting this opportunity,” said Spray.

For debate tickets call the Nebraska Republican Party at 402-475-2122 or email jill@negop.org.

Live video and audio stream: http://www.1011now.com

Live radio coverage: Live Internet Stream:
KRVN Radio, AM 880 – Lexington http://www.krvn.com – audio
KFOR Radio, AM 1240 – Lincoln http://www.kfor1240.com – audio
http://www.1011now.com – video and audio
Television Re-Broadcast: KSNB 4 (aired 9:25 p.m. Sun. Mar. 23)
Where to find KSNB 4
Charter channel 10 & 782 HD Over-the-air channel 4, 10-2, 11-2, and 18-1
Time Warner channel 4 & 1004 HD Dish Network channel 4
Mid-States channel 4 DirecTV channel 4
Mainstay channel 4 Charter channel 10 and 782 HD
Diode channel 4 Cable Nebraska channel 10
Glenwood channel 10
###

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM

rjc115 on March 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Apparently it slipped Sasse’s mind also, since the Ryan endorse was the only one mentioned in the ad. I’m from the east coast and haven’t been following every nook and cranny of this nearly sure thing GOP seat primary race yet. What’s Sasse’s excuse for not mentioning it?

Jazz Shaw on March 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Both Sasse & Osborn are Lutherans, but I wonder if Osborn’s messy divorce will come back to bite him in the butt?

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 6:27 PM