Fighting hipsters with hipsters: the new GOP strategy?

posted at 6:41 pm on March 18, 2014 by Kevin Glass

The Republican National Committee is out with a new series of web ads that star people of a variety of different demographics designed to appeal to different segments of the American population that they’ve recently struggled to win: minorities, women, and, yes, hipsters.

The ad campaign, entitled “Create Your American Dream,” features a spotlight on Scott Greenberg, a bespactacled young man that National Journal’s Lucia Graves accuses of that deadly word that doesn’t really mean anything: “hipster.”

Take a look:

The ads are a part of a six-figure campaign that will run in 14 different states and, as far as the actual issues go, will focus on energy, entrepreneurialism, family budgeting and other issues that appeal to middle-class Americans. Obviously, the GOP has been discussing “outreach” ever since President Obama’s sweeping victory in 2012, and these ads focus on the demographics that the party has recently struggled with electorally. A six-figure ad buy is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but if well-received, the ads might be a preview of what the party apparatus will steer ads toward in the future.

It could be worse, right? After all:

Well, maybe. View the thirty-second ad that serves to highlight all of the stories the RNC wants to highlight below – :

Comments

Awesome !! – Love it

jake-the-goose on March 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

How about we fight hipsters with men? Or would that be too close to men attacking women?

MMK on March 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

An all-hipster steel cage battle royale deathmatch? I’d pay to see that!

myiq2xu on March 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

That is great…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

An all-hipster steel cage battle royale deathmatch? I’d pay to see that!

myiq2xu on March 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

It would take a looooong time. B*tch-slapping tends to not produce a quick KO.

MMK on March 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM

That is a hipster?

VorDaj on March 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I look at him and all I think of is…..Where’s Waldo?

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM

How about an ad with some young “hipster” looking straight into the camera, with a rock-steady expression of resolve, saying :

Government regulations and social programs aren’t the solution to the problem … government regulations and social programs ARE the problem.

listens2glenn on March 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Thinking outside the box. I like it the tactic and the message.

swamp_yankee on March 18, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I hated it before I watched it. Now I love it and think it should be a major part of what the RNC is busy doing.

Obviously, the Kochs embedded some kind of brainwashing technology into the ads — but it’s too late for me now.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

He can’t be a hipster if he has a working, independently functioning brain. He clearly does.

eski502 on March 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

MMK on March 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

LOL.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Nice side by side pic of km and bluegill

Bradky on March 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

This video is genuine, because he’s pumping regular into his gas tank.

You just know that Pajama boy is using Supreme in his gas tank.

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

How about a gay couple in the ad? An atheist? A climate change opponent? A pot smoker? A Catholic? Snake handlers?

These ads don’t target the whole spectrum that is available to conservatives.

Walter L. Newton on March 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Now if we can only get the establish Republicans to believe their commercials

Oil Can on March 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You know there are a lot of old crusty conservatives around here when people cant tell a hippie from a hipster.

swamp_yankee on March 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Can I punch him in the face? It might help us deal with all our ‘anger and hate’ issues.

RovesChins on March 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

This is almost as good as the tatted, smokin’ hot Ted Cruz–almost.

May we survive as a Republic until 2016.

jazzuscounty on March 18, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Ill be back in 10 min. I have to sit in the shower for a while, rocking back and forth and whispering to myself that I cant get clean.

Valkyriepundit on March 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM

That is a hipster?

VorDaj on March 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM

This doesn’t answer your question, but by way of free association, this one of RWM’s I thought was vaguely hypnotic when I saw it. And there are several hipsters at the end. I don’t know what they are, but they appear to be the results of Yuppies mating with Hippies.

It’s Brooklyn…. But Something’s Missing: Vintage Photos Show How The New York City Borough Looked Before Hipsters (Photo Essay)

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I think its a good idea. Anything to break through to the low info voters.

Jack_Burton on March 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM

How about some retired Navy Seals?

aquaviva on March 18, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Meh. Not too bad as an ad campaign I suppose. They should probably do it. But it could use some polishing in my opinion. I probably skew a bit younger than some of the posters here, and most of you, if you saw me on the street would never imagine that I was an evil right winger. I have tattoos, I’m into culture, music, etc. (Some of you might even think that I was a ‘hipster’ — gasp!)

I’d have made this a bit differently though. Believe it or not, there are a lot of younger, culturally contemporary mutants out here that are actually very Conservative on a lot of levels. Militantly so. They should have just let me take video of people I hang out with in bars. I could have made a way better commercial.

The focus has to be on anti-fascism. That’s something to which all humans can relate. And ‘Liberalism’ IS fascism. The anti-abortion point is also a big draw. And everyone hates the IRS.

WhatSlushfund on March 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Party needs to hire the dude who made the Ted Cruz “Blacklisted” poster in LA.

eski502 on March 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Was walking around downtown Seattle a fair bit last week. Hadn’t been there in a while. So many hipsters… It was kind of sad really. Orange pants and tennis shoes and a big fuzzy scarf? Yeah, buddy, that works. You bet.

WitchDoctor on March 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Great ad. The bad-boy Cruz poster gets me more excited tho.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Get a black woman from DC to tell the story of how her child was doing better in the voucher program, going to a school that they chose. Then Barack Obama answered the call of the teachers’ unions and the voucher program was cancelled and her kid is back in that school from h*ll. She thought she could trust him but the Democrats are more interested in the union’s money than than they are in education for America’s kids. Close with: “I’m voting Republican because I think my son deserves to go to a good school, just like the president’s kids do.”

School choice folks. The winning issue for Republicans.

smellthecoffee on March 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

but they appear to be the results of Yuppies mating with Hippies.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Well I did know that Michelle Obama was the result of a mating between a Yak and a Hippo.

VorDaj on March 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Is it possible to have hipster Republicans, or are they just really Libertarians?

Dongemaharu on March 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

you guys are too cute thinking that guy is a hipster. a real hipster doesn’t have a car, they ride their fixies everywhere cause the earth and junk. plus his face hair is nowhere near coiffed enough.

brushingmyhair on March 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I like concept but that hipster looked he was reading a poster on the side of the gas station. Little things count.

smellthecoffee on March 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

You just know that Pajama boy is using Supreme in his gas tank.

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Pajama boy doesn’t own a car. He rides his bicycle.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Why are they called hipster? They certainly ain’t hip.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

VorDaj on March 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I don’t respond to maxioglutiophobic comments.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

You just know that Pajama boy is using Supreme in his gas tank.

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

What car? Hipsters, a real hipster, takes public transit. No self-respecting hipster would be caught dead at a gas station.

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

My soon-to-be 20 year old liked the ad.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I don’t read words I cannot pronounce.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

About time.
Just don’t let Rove, McConnell and the other tired, pasty, dough-faced mopes **** it up.

orangemtl on March 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Great ad. The bad-boy Cruz poster gets me more excited tho.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I bought a Cruz poster today.
Ohhhh. Yeaaaah.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I look at him and all I think of is…..Where’s Waldo?

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Wonder what ever happened to precious Ethan, winter’s pajama boy? Probably in the witless protection program.

arnold ziffel on March 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

..can he beat the shit out of pajama boy?

KOOLAID2 on March 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Pajama boy doesn’t own a car. He rides his bicycle.

Is that what was tangled up in the wheel well of my Land Rover?
Now, it all makes sense.
I thought I heard a girlish little squeal, but I thought it was a squirrel or something.

orangemtl on March 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I don’t read words I cannot pronounce.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I think it is Latin for fear of the big booty.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

How about this for a strategy: have a party platform

Brock Robamney on March 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I don’t read words I cannot pronounce.

cozmo on March 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I won’t be part of madeupophobism.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

You just know that Pajama boy is using Supreme in his gas tank.

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Pajama boy doesn’t own a car. He rides his bicycle.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I didn’t say it was HIS car. The hipster uses his parents car, and of course uses their parents gas card as well.

portlandon on March 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

There’s a crap load of us out here that wear workboots and bust our asses each and every day. Why don’t you appeal to us. Nobody in my world even remotely looks like that.

You want to live in cities? Look fashionable?

That’s your choice, but from the outside looking in,, they are going to burn. You can’t win these people. They live in a bulletproof bubble.

wolly4321 on March 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I bought a Cruz poster today.
Ohhhh. Yeaaaah.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Nice!

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

The mistake was mentioning Republican. That makes it too partisan. And the label Republican is not going to cut any ice with the hipster market they are targeting. If you can explain why certain policies are bad, you don’t need to put a label on it. If instead of saying he was a Republican, and just told the viewer why regulations may hurt employment, that would have been enough. Then let the viewer get the idea that these concepts are not the product of some Kock brother plot, but rather a basic truth of life.

When he said, “That’s why I’m a republican”, you could just hear the collective groan from the very audience targeted.

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

WhatSlushfund on March 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Do it!

tominsd on March 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Reading the news from Chicago, I wouldn’t call their bubble “bulletproof.”

Murphy9 on March 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM

All of the above energy policy?

astonerii on March 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Dongemaharu on March 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

This is a key question. I don’t personally go around calling myself a Republican. To me, the party has reduced itself to irrelevancy. I don’t go around (much) calling myself a Conservative either. This is why I used ‘evil right winger,’ to describe myself since that’s what so many end up calling me anyway. It saves time.

Suppose we were to rephrase your question as: “Is it possible to have hipster evil right wingers, or are they just really Libertarians?”

That is an interesting question.

WhatSlushfund on March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

WhatSlushfund on March 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I appreciate your perspective, WhatSlushfund!

If you do make a video commercial, please let us know where we can view it on YouTube.

The more us older folks understand about younger generations and can visualize who the unexpected conservatives may be, the better!

wren on March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I think it is Latin for fear of the big booty.

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Jeez..can the party not find one straight sounding hipster for a commercial? If I were a hipster, I’d be pissed off that Republicans seem to think all hipsters are gay..er, not that there’s anything wrong with that..(Seinfeld) lol

celt on March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

You know I was trying to put my finger on why I didn’t think much of the ads and I think this is it. Its smacks of trying to push the minority/Hipster forward as a defensive move rather than make any point of substance.

sharrukin on March 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

MMK on March 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Simply tap them on the shoulder and they’ll run away crying for their mommy.

It wouldn’t be fair… for the men.

Myron Falwell on March 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Reading the news from Chicago, I wouldn’t call their bubble “bulletproof.”
Murphy9 on March 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Racist

Brock Robamney on March 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

But, that’s how you do it. You repeat it. You get the groan because what it means to be a Republican has been defined by the other guy — who’s put the blue suit up 10,000 times. You run this and run this and run this.

It’s exactly what the other guy did, and it works.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I believe the correct term, according to the zoological nomenclature, is “hipster-douche”.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Big flaw in the hipster ad:

They show him pumping gas as he talks to the camera.

Now, while it may be true that hipsters pump gas and drive cars just like everyone else, they are ashamed of this fact, and try to pretend they don’t have any carbon footprint at all. And they also know that anyone truly in touch with hipster culture is aware of this shame, and will therefore conspire to hide the hipsters’ “dirty laundry” as it were — the fact that they take advantage of the lush lifestyle created by capitalism.

So, any hipster seeing this ad will instantly know that the person who created the ad is an outsider, not a real hipster — because only an outsider would make the blunder of showing a hipster doing something that he’s embarrassed by.

And the hipsters watching this ad will therefore dismiss it as the creation of an outsider trying to manipulate them. And the ad thus will not reach the hipster subconscious, and thus will be largely ineffective.

The should have hired me as a consultant.

Zombie on March 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Seriously, do people really take the time to look up these ads on the www? I looked at it only because it was convenient.

Jackson on March 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Good grief!

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM

^ Typical right-wing extremist vaginohygenimania.

The war on women continues.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Excellent.

GaltBlvnAtty on March 18, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I think the Republican brand has done the damage to itself. Tying good ideas to a particular party – in the case the GOP – is unwise. You just end up contaminating the message, rather than the message burnishing the party.

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I think the Republican brand has done the damage to itself.

No argument.

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I didn’t understand. Tying good ideas to the GOP is unwise?

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:43 PM

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Good grief!

John the Libertarian on March 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Heh…

OmahaConservative on March 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I could have done without the Spanish language in the second ad, but otherwise think these are good.

Also, I think it is wrong to call the guy in the first ad a “hipster.” That term is a derogatory name, and it signifies more than just appearance. Is everyone with thick-rimmed glasses and a trendy haircut a hipster? No.

bluegill on March 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM

HugoDrax on March 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

The ads are paid for by the RNC. They shouldn’t promote the party?

hillbillyjim on March 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM

bluegill on March 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Do you ever just get cheerful for oh, maybe a minute or two?

arnold ziffel on March 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I went to college with Scott. He’s good people. Started and runs his own business, writes for music publications, married, and generally a pretty good guy with a solid head on his shoulders. He can hold his own discussing the ideas and thought behind the sentiment.

kmaster31 on March 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM

It’s exactly what the other guy did, and it works.

Axe on March 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yup. I don’t know why, but people always assume that I’m a liberal and make comments about stereotypical Republican views or incorrect statements from Republicans in front of me. To which I respond and correct them, and say I’m a Republican. Best way to change views.

Every once and a while I can literally see their worldview shatter because I’m not wearing a white robe chanting about the Bible and gays while shooting my gun in the air. Kinda fun.

nextgen_repub on March 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Douche-ster?
Never mind. Too hard to pronounce: and, at least one person in the thread would thereby not read it.

orangemtl on March 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM

arnold ziffel on March 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Good afternoon, arnold. :)

Thank you, my friend. That’s the best laugh I’ve had all day. ‘…witless protection program.’ lol!

thatsafactjack on March 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

The glasses aren’t hipster like enough, looks more like a slacker.

Bmore on March 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

thatsafactjack on March 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Evening Jackie, glad I made you laugh.

arnold ziffel on March 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Could help. He looks like most of the people in my generation.

jawkneemusic on March 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Oh please! It isn’t the glasses that make the hipster. It is that annoying way of ending every sentence on a high note. Like, you know, some slutty spoiled whore from The Hills or Meghan McCain.

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Could help. He looks like most of the people in my generation.

jawkneemusic on March 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Then God help our nation. Seriously!

But it isn’t true. He looks nothing like those of his generation who have served this nation in the armed forces instead of holding slumber parties in support of Obamacare.

Happy Nomad on March 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

You should really watch the video on You Tube so you can read the comments and see the ratings.

It really irritated people and here is the top rated comment. It’s from a nasty liberal:

Caroleeena

Hahahahaha!!! This log cabin republican is terrible at reading his cue cards. He also doesn’t seem to understand that it is republicans who are hurting jobs. I guess they gave him one though because they clearly paid this sad sack gay man to say this. Hysterical.

No Niks on March 18, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Know what’s funny about all the pseudo tough guy posters here, they probably all had white-boy fros, and skinny doofus bell bottoms and spent parts of their youth dancing to disco.

Or they had feathered hair, parted down the middle (nothing is more feminine than men’s haircuts in the eighties)

Really who cares about looks. The people who do are the ones killing the GOP, and thus the conservative movement, and thus America.

There are two angles to the kiddie vote for the GOP, anti-establishment, pro-freedom. Really, that’s it.

The anti-establishment thing happens once in a generation – when Dems have full power, disillusionment is growing, and our side has the right marketing and message.

Pro-freedom cuts both ways. Kids really want to live their dreams and be able to build businesses and be free from government. They also want the libertarian and libertine versions of freedom of the sex, drugs and rock-n-roll variety.

The key is to tap into both of the aforementioned veins in the right way.

BINGO, direct hit… that up there is…. stuffy old losers who would rather die with a sinking ship need mot comment

swamp_yankee on March 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM

As a self proclaimed “neo-con hipster” I will say this; the video had the right idea, but horrible execution. The guy is clearly reading a cue card, he talks with a lisp (not all hipsters have teh gay voice) and then he calls himself a republican.

Done, done and done.

If you want a decent hipster ad with conservative leaning ideas, at least make it of a quality that today’s hipster youth can appreciate. This ad was just poor all around.

And for the record, most young conservative hipsters want nothing to do with republicans or democrats. We hold our noses when we pull the lever.

johnnyboy on March 18, 2014 at 10:25 PM

“The Dueling Dweebs”?

dominigan on March 18, 2014 at 11:44 PM

It’s about time that the Republican party started defining itself instead of allowing the Democrats the honor. Perhaps the GOP leadership will take note and figure out how to BE Republicans again.

Tori01 on March 19, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Kevin’s right. It’s getting so the word “hipster” means “guy who wears glasses and actually bathes.”

bmmg39 on March 19, 2014 at 1:24 AM

This is stupid. I may be dead wrong, but always thought these “hipsters” were gay. Their clothing appears to come from the women’s section of a department store. I always assumed they were into men.

mumbojumbo on March 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Should have been a plaid shirt as well.

Bmore on March 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Might should have gone with a Vespa or a moped as well.

Bmore on March 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Hipster The real problem with spending a slew of $ going after them. They are passé.

Bmore on March 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Make it stop!

claudius on March 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Looks like they’re checking off the Log Cabin box as well. Smart!

Kenz on March 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM