Would you care for some ObamaCare with your March Madness?

posted at 2:01 pm on March 17, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

In their increasingly desperate push to encourage the young and the healthy to sign up for health insurance that’s probably way more comprehensive and more expensive than anything they actually want or need — a scheme into which they have so far rather stubbornly refused to buy in the necessary numbers — the White House is pressing the timely popularity of March Madness into service for the cause. There are exactly two weeks left before the March 31st enrollment deadline, and the administration is really banking on young people having procrastinated on signing up en masse; ergo, via Politico:

With the arrival of college basketball’s March Madness, the White House is looking to capitalize on the annual tournament to encourage Americans to enroll in Obamacare.

The promotional effort will include athletes and coaches as well as administration officials, according to a White House official, and will begin on Monday. Sunday was “Selection Sunday,” the day the teams in the tournament are announced and the schedule and bracket are released.

The White House plans to release its own bracket Monday as part of the effort, “16 Sweetest Reasons to Get Covered,” timed with the annual release of President Barack Obama’s bracket this week, and the president and high-ranking administration officials will conduct interviews on a variety of outlets coordinated with the push, which will also include social media. …

The White House’s list of “sweet” reasons that young people should sign up for ObamaCare include persuasive items like “birth control is free,” “insurance companies can’t discriminate,” “it will give your mom peace of mind,” and “you only live once” — but nowhere is it mentioned that “insurance companies cannot discriminate” really just means that young people are getting lumped into vastly more expensive, redistributive risk pools that require them to pay more for coverage than they really need to be.

Sidebar: Cover photo courtesy of the Virginia Cavaliers and their total domination for the ACC title and a No. 1 seed! WAHOOWA! WAHOOWA!

Comments

NO. And HELL NO.

22044 on March 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Do they have to ruin everything?

I mean, seriously, can’t there be Obama- and Obamacare-free zones?

Resist We Much on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Nope

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

This is so stupid. They are trying to get young people to sign up for something they don’t need! They are on their parents’ plans!

ladyingray on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

It’s not care.

It’s always obama’care’.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

What? No “8 reasons the Elites love it” or “4 Final reasons you’re screwed”?

Fenris on March 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Obamacare leaves the average 27 year old facing a gender-averaged 47.5 percent premium increase, according to Forbes. Even after subsidies, that’s an expense that many Millennials can’t afford.

Perversely, such high costs make it even harder for us to purchase health insurance in the future, when we can afford it. By not signing up for expensive plans now, insurance rates will increase as soon as next year — for everyone. That leaves us with two choices: Buy an unaffordable plan now, or wait and buy an unaffordable plan later.

Our only remaining option is to opt out of Obamacare entirely. If the latest numbers are any indication, that’s exactly what Millennials in Nevada are doing. We know a bad deal when we see one —and we’re not as dumb as Obamacare’s marketers seem to think.

Evan Feinberg is the President of Generation Opportunity.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Oh sure, just throw pajama boy under the bus.

antipc on March 17, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Opting out

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Michigan State is going to win it all.

NotCoach on March 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Do they have to ruin everything?

I mean, seriously, can’t there be Obama- and Obamacare-free zones?

Resist We Much on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

He is amazingly oversaturated.

thebrokenrattle on March 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Keep your dirty hands off my sweet sixteen.

jmtham156 on March 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM

President Dribble just can’t go a single day without injecting himself into our lives.

Go play some golf and leave us alone.

fogw on March 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM

One more reason to stop watching sports – I won’t spend much time with the tourney this year. I watch sports for entertainment, not aggravation as I watch our government spend my tax dollars to screw people for the govt’s own gain. I pretty much stopped watching Sunday Night football.

Zomcon JEM on March 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Do they have to ruin everything?

I mean, seriously, can’t there be Obama- and Obamacare-free zones?

Resist We Much on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

No kidding. College basketball is my favorite. He has to ruin that too.

Welcome back btw

gophergirl on March 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Here’s a better bracket to follow

ConservativePartyNow on March 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Obama: Hey listen Susan, I’ve got to get my tournament picks done so I’m not going to make that daily…what do you call it again?…oh right, Intelligence briefing for a few days. I don’t want to be disturbed unless Vlad invades Poland.

WisRich on March 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I couldn’t give a toss about the NCAA tournament, so thankfully I won’t be subjected to any further messaging from the Ear Leader.

KGB on March 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Obama: Hey listen Susan, I’ve got to get my tournament picks done so I’m not going to make that daily…what do you call it again?…oh right, Intelligence briefing for a few days. I don’t want to be disturbed unless even if Vlad invades Poland.

WisRich on March 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Fixed that for you.

Fenris on March 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I wonder how much this is going to cost us taxpayers, or if they even know what it will cost. They say they don’t know how many subscribers have paid for obamacare. Can you imagine any business executive saying, “We really don’t know what are revenues are”?

L. E. Light on March 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Hells to the NO.

Whitey Ford on March 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

March Madness Meetings? Oh yeah, Obama will be sure to attend those :)

Ukiah on March 17, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Do they have to ruin everything?

I mean, seriously, can’t there be Obama- and Obamacare-free zones?

Resist We Much on March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

…honest to gawd!…the advertisements on EVERY channel are being flooded by HealthCare.gov…are these “public service announcements”?

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Fixed that for you.

Fenris on March 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I stand corrected.

WisRich on March 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

How f**king pathetic. Really.

I’ve seem more convincing sales pitches from shady used car salesmen.

UltimateBob on March 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Michigan State is going to win it all.

NotCoach on March 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

…oh gosh I hope so!…they looked good yesterday!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

WisRich on March 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Fixed that for you.

Fenris on March 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM

My thought as well, Teh Won can’t be distracted!

My additional thought or attempt at one: March 31 will mean nothing to him. Proceed accordingly…

22044 on March 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

It’s a long time coming…but I say that as a Terps fan and alum. One day…

JetBoy on March 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM

There are exactly two weeks left before the March 31st enrollment deadline,

Not exactly. King Barack the Magnificent has a pen! HE will just “extend the deadline”. Again. And again. And again. It’s not like it’s “the law of the land” or anything.

GarandFan on March 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Obama is picking world class basketball teams.

Putin is picking world class army units.

KenInIL on March 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Go Crimson?

steebo77 on March 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I received an email from The Phillies plugging O-care.

After years on their email list, I unsubscribed.

Sickening.

mankai on March 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM

O’s brackets:

Russia over Ukraine in the first round
Russia over Poland in the second round
Russia over Latvia in the third round

mankai on March 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

…but nowhere is it mentioned that “insurance companies cannot discriminate” really just means that young people are getting lumped into vastly more expensive, redistributive risk pools that require them to pay more for coverage than they really need to be.

“Lies” –Harry Reid

JetBoy on March 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM

…oh gosh I hope so!…they looked good yesterday!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The whole team is finally healthy, and they have six games under their belts with everyone back. And the injuries actually made them a deeper team with many others getting significant minutes during the season. They are now unstoppable.

NotCoach on March 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM

King Barack the Magnificent has a pen! HE will just “extend the deadline”.

GarandFan on March 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM

ObamaCare doesn’t need a “deadline”…what it really needs is a “lifeline”…as it’s dying quite well on it’s own.

JetBoy on March 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Liberals are like rats spreading the Black Death everywhere. Fluking KozKid Nate Silver is at ESPN now. Can’t even watch sports in peace.

sauldalinsky on March 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I received an email from The Phillies plugging O-care.

After years on their email list, I unsubscribed.

Sickening.

mankai on March 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Did you tell them why?

ladyingray on March 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM

How this idea was hatched:

Dims to O’Butthead: “This zer0care crap that we passed for the sake of Your Royal Highness is killing us. It’s MADNESS! May His Royal Highness give His loyal subjects some relief!!”

O’Butthead muttering to himself: “Madness, March Madness, Madness, March Madnness. Yeah, that’s it. Geat idea. Brilliantly merges the two into a harmonious whole. We like it. And so shall it be.”

MisterElephant on March 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Which will permit them the honor of being fed to the Villanova Wildcats in the regional finals…

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

mankai on March 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Did you tell them why?

ladyingray on March 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It didn’t offer a comment box.

mankai on March 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Villanova will be destroyed by Michigan State in the regional finals.

NotCoach on March 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM

My team made the CBI tournament. yay…

kcewa on March 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I’m a Carolina fan but I was happy for Virginia. First ACC title since 1976. As far as the NCAA tournament, look out for Florida, who has won 26 games in a row, and Louisville, who is on a roll. Michigan St. is also finally healthy and should be in the Final Four.

TarheelBen on March 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM

The Democrats are totally delusional about ObamaCare.

Bob Schrum – who has been a part of more Democratic losses than any other living campaign guy – urges them to run ON it, emphasizing the popular parts, at The Daily Beast in your headlines. The comments I read seem to reflect a consensus that all the horror stories are false, and by the fall everyone will love the PPACA.

As Rocky replied to Clubber Lang’s taunt, “Gonna bust you up,” at the start of their rematch: “Go for it.”

Adjoran on March 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM

The freaking liberals need to take “Obamacare” and put it where the sun doesn’t shine.

rplat on March 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Oh yeah, I remember them — they lost to the Badgers.

Mr. D on March 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Putin is taking over Russia and Obama posts twerkers from the official WH site. And dancing ducks.
I’m so sad for America.

When will Dems ever realize the mistake they made with him? I don’t mean Dem politicians. I’m talking about the voters who put him in office.

ImmigrantsWife on March 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

*I meant Putin taking over the Ukraine

ImmigrantsWife on March 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM

O’s brackets:

Russia over Ukraine in the first round
Russia over Poland in the second round
Russia over Latvia in the third round

mankai on March 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Threadwinnah!!

Effay5 on March 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM

What? No “8 reasons the Elites love it” or “4 Final reasons you’re screwed”?

Fenris on March 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Coming soon.

Sadly.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Why is it they even have to advertise or put public service announcements. It is the freaking law and has been for 3 years. Obama and his crew must be worried to the max.

jaywemm on March 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Only got one thing to say about this. Go Gators!

Kissmygrits on March 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM