Ireland to Obama: You know what we’d like for St. Patrick’s Day?

posted at 4:01 pm on March 17, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Lá Phádraig sona dhaiobh to all Hot Air readers around the world, especially those in Ireland. Our friends in the Auld Country don’t really make today quite the same big deal we of Irish descent (and all you wannabes) do here in the New World, but they do appreciate the attention. You know what they’d appreciate more, though? An American ambassador, as the Taoiseach reminded Barack Obama last week:

The United States has been without an ambassador in Ireland for 15 months now, the longest period the country has not had a top diplomat in Dublin. One has to go back to 1935 and President Franklin D Roosevelt’s appointment of Alvin Mansfield Owsley as the US envoy to find a delay almost as long. Then it took 13 months. Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and a Barack Obama supporter, was the last of 23 US ambassadors to have served in Dublin. He stood down on December 14th, 2012. The formal St Patrick’s Day celebrations at the White House passed yesterday and there was still no announcement from President Obama naming a new ambassador. Taoiseach Enda Kenny said yesterday he had raised the issue of the vacant ambassador post with President Obama during their meeting in the Oval Office. “Obviously, he is intent on dealing with it. It’s a matter exclusively for the president, and we hope it can be dealt with pretty soon,” Mr Kenny told reporters afterwards.

Quite frankly, I find this encouraging. The #Morrissey4Ireland campaign continues! Be sure to add your voices to Twitter to get me the gig. As I’ve explained before, I’m less than qualified in this administration because (a) I’ve actually been to Ireland, (b) I speak the native tongue, even if I’m terribly rusty at it now, and (c) I’ve read the State Department brief on the relationship and know the form of government Eire employs.

If you want more great news related to Irish heritage, be sure to read Nick Gillespie’s choice for the worst of the media’s St. Patrick’s Day coverage. He’s wrong, though, because Salon wrapped up that title a couple of days ago. And if you’re tempted to try some Irish step dancing, better make sure you’re really a Lord of the Dance, rather than … just a knave.

Comments

It’s a darn good thing that Harry Reid went “nuclear” else there might never be another ambassador to Ireland.

J_Crater on March 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Clearly Obama is holding out for a bigger contribution. Like his Senate seat, an ambassadorship to Ireland isn’t free.

ConstantineXI on March 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You know, Barry, there really is a language called Irish.

corona79 on March 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Happy Patrick’s Day, everyone.

itsnotaboutme on March 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Why leave out that Ireland is pushing for illegal alien amnesty?

Mark1971 on March 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Yeah, it’s kinda like the Irish version of Cinco de Mayo. Sells lots of beer and spirits.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Red(Morgan Freeman)in Shawshank said he was Irish.Maybe O is holding out for someone of that persuasion.

docflash on March 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Lolz! Happy St. Patrick’s Day Ed!

Bmore on March 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM

What’s Caroline Kennedy doing? Send her.

portlandon on March 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Ireland to Obama: You know what we’d like for St. Patrick’s Day?
An American ambassador, as the Taoiseach reminded Barack Obama last week :

The United States has been without an ambassador in Ireland for 15 months now, the longest period the country has not had a top diplomat in Dublin. One has to go back to 1935 and President Franklin D Roosevelt’s appointment of Alvin Mansfield Owsley as the US envoy to find a delay almost as long. Then it took 13 months. Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and a Barack Obama supporter, was the last of 23 US ambassadors to have served in Dublin. He stood down on December 14th, 2012. The formal St Patrick’s Day celebrations at the White House passed yesterday and there was still no announcement from President Obama naming a new ambassador. Taoiseach Enda Kenny said yesterday he had raised the issue of the vacant ambassador post with President Obama during their meeting in the Oval Office. “Obviously, he is intent on dealing with it. It’s a matter exclusively for the president, and we hope it can be dealt with pretty soon,” Mr Kenny told reporters afterwards.

Ed Morrissey on March 17, 2014 posted at 4:01 PM

I figured they wanted us to stop coming after their “Lucky Charms”.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I nominate Bill O’Reilly!

Steve Z on March 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM

C’mon Ed, be fair to the Prezzy. He’s got his NCAA brackets to fill out. Foreign affairs have to take a back seat to the important things.

rbj on March 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Oh! I’ve got to go with any story that involves dumping vast amounts of green dye in a river or makes mention of corned beef and cabbage. They have a parade in New Orleans for St Patrick’s day that involves throwing not beads but the ingredients for Irish stew. Why people getting pelted by potato and cabbage doesn’t get more attention is beyond me.

Happy Nomad on March 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Sorry for the OT but more people should see this story looks like it was from a couple of years ago but still a remarkable tale with a little room to boo a Texas Congressman for being lazy.

Happy Nomad on March 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I’m a third generation immigrant from Ireland, can I go? I’ve been there twice and love to visit with my cousins. Éirinn go Brác

quapawbear on March 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Chris Dodd would be a natural, he already has a mansion on the beach there that he acquired under shady circumstances.

slickwillie2001 on March 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM

ConstantineXI on March 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM

…ok!…you said it first!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM

MJBrutus on March 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Any excuse for that….

“A true Irishman is not really drunk, so long as he can hold onto a blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.”

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM

My favorite American love letter to Ireland, Spancil Hill.

Fallon on March 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Just to give you my Irish bona fides I’ll tell you that I have bright red hair, freckles and shuttled my daughter to countless feiseanna and oireachtasi over a period of 13 years. I am the proud mom of an open champion Irish Dancer. Now to my point. The last thing Ireland should be worried about is an ambassador from this lousy administration. They aren’t missing much.

neyney on March 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM

We’ll regret not havin’ an ambassador in Ireland ’til our dyin’ days, if’n ever we live that long.

JimLennon on March 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I nominate Bill O’Reilly!

Steve Z on March 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM

OK someone has to say it.

I nominate Shaquille O’Neal

neyney on March 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM

My favorite Irish joke

A man passed by an Irish bar…..no really it could happen!

neyney on March 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

My favorite Irish joke
A man passed by an Irish bar…..no really it could happen!

neyney on March 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

“Why do the Irish fight amongst themselves so much?
Because they can’t find any other worthy opponent.”

I especially like this one because my wife is a redhead – from a lot of Irish redheads on her Dad’s side of the family from Georgia, and a bunch of Norwegian (Viking) redheads from her Mom’s side from Minnesota.

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM

What’s Caroline Kennedy doing? Send her.

portlandon on March 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, I think she’s headin’ west to Japan… too bad, huh?

ExpressoBold on March 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM

They’re better off being ignored by our administration. An ambassador would probably go there and find some way to interfere in their lives.

crankyoldlady on March 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM

“Sorry, the only genuine Irish Moonbat we had available has been deployed to the UN. And we sent Caroline K. to Japan for some inexplicable reason.”

SickofLibs on March 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM

SickofLibs on March 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Maybe she had a piece of sushi sometime ago…..

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Obama just wants to make sure it’s safe… he doesn’t want another Benghazi.

malclave on March 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

MeanWhile,……..:

St. Patrick’s Day parades gay rights controversy
Ireland
********

7m
Publisher Rupert Murdoch urges Irish to boycott Guinness over its embrace of gay rights – @nytimes
read more on nytimes.com
========================

New York, NY, US
4h
Photo: St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York City; Mayor Bill de Blasio, other city leaders declined to march due to organizers’ policy banning gay groups – @WSJNY
see original on t.co
=====================

New York, NY, US
23h
Guinness beer withdraws sponsorship of New York City’s St. Patrick’s day parade over anti-LGBT policies – @CNBCnow
see original on twitter.com
============================

New York, NY, US

3d
Ford tells CNBC it will continue to sponsor non-LGBT inclusive St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York City; ‘No one person, group or event reflects Ford’s views on every issue’ – @CNBCnow
see original on twitter.com
=============================

canopfor on March 17, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Evidently no one raised enough cash for The Chosen One – the prime “requirement” for an ambassadorial post.

GarandFan on March 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM

A CD with all your speeches after you’ve chugged 20 Guinness stouts at least 30 minutes from medical care?

WryTrvllr on March 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM

How many Irish needed to change a light bulb.

Seven. One to hold the light bulb, six to drink until the room starts to spin.

WryTrvllr on March 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Or perhaps, just for shyts and giggles, you could have a beautiful desk welded IKEA style, from the steel infrastructure of the missile defense system installations you had pulled from Poland and Czech Republic as a subtle reminder that, as our allies, you are on your own, suckers.

WryTrvllr on March 18, 2014 at 12:47 AM

(b) I speak the native tongue, even if I’m terribly rusty at it now,

I am reminded of an essay by Isaac Asimov which I tell (loosely paraphrased) whenever occasion obliges, usually in a Celtic festival of some sort.

As a college student in chemistry, he was required to memorize certain formulas and compounds, one of which was “Para-Dimethylaminobenzaldehyde” – which did not fall trippingly off the tongue at first go, so as he wandered around campus he would mutter it repeatedly, eventually noticing that it fell into a certain familiar rhythm – that of the tune known as “The Irish Washerwoman”. At that point, he added the melody, and found his confidence increasing, although his musical talent did not.

One day he had a meeting with one of the deans, whose receptionist was a lady of obvious Irish heritage. As he sat in the office, he continued his practice, mumbling the chemical mantra to the jaunty air. The receptionist listened intently for several bars, then jumped from her chair, throwing her arms heavenward, and exclaimed, “Glory be! And you know it in the original Gaelic!”

* * *
(from Wikipedia: Isaac Asimov, in a 1963 humorous essay entitled “You, too, can speak Gaelic,”,[2] reprinted in the anthology Adding a Dimension among others, traces the etymology of each component of the chemical name “para-di-methyl-amino-benz-alde-hyde” (e.g. the syllable “-benz-” ultimately derives from the Arabic lubān jāwī (لبان خاوي, “frankincense from Java”).)

BTW, the tune of IWW is remarkably similar to a Welsh jig, “Sidanen (Sedany)” — and St. Patrick was a Welshman. Just sayin’.

Here’s a site with some more discussion and lyrics.

An addition to Bruce’s reference. Dargason/Sedany was put to the words, “The Hawthorn Tree” which is in Ritson’s Ancient Songs under Class IV, (from Edward VI to Elizabeth) as A Mery Ballet of the Hathorne Tre, to be sung to the tune of Donkin Dargeson.

100 Songs also says the tune in the book for the Hawthorn Tree was taken from The Dancing Master (1650-51), where it is called Dargason, or the Sedany (the Sedany being a country dance). The similarity to IWW is, indeed, unmistakable.

There’s an American pioneer song to the tune, “Starving to Death on a Government Claim”, sung by Burl Ives, which begins:
My name is Frank Bolar, an old bach’lor I am
I’m keeping old batch on an elegant plan,
You’ll find me out west in the County of Lane
Starving to death on my government claim.
My house it is built of the national soil
The walls are erected according to Hoyle,
The roof has no pitch, but is level and plane
And I never get wet till it happens to rain.

Then hurrah for Lane County, the land of the free
The home of the bedbug, mosquito and flea,
I’ll sing loud her praises and never complain
While starving to death on my government claim.

AesopFan on March 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM

O gets my Irish up.

HellCat on March 18, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Didn’t Obama’s ride get stuck the last time he visited Ireland?

The man is a perpetual embarrassment.

Sherman1864 on March 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM