NRLC Interview – Joe Scarborough

posted at 2:01 pm on March 16, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Another of the featured speakers at the NRLC this weekend was Joe Scarborough, host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe and author of The Right Path. (Which Ed reviewed in a previous interview that Scarborough gave us.) Joe delivered a well received stem winder on the current state of the GOP and the path to a lasting majority, after which he hosted a panel of “First in the Nation” campaign strategists. These included Michael Biundo, who worked for Rick Santorum, Andy Demers from Ron Paul’s presidential campaign team, Jim Merrill from the Romney team and Paul Young who worked for Rick Perry in 2012. He also did a book signing and came to visit everyone in the press room both before an after his scheduled events.

Joe has frequently spoken well of Hot Air, and he agreed to sit down for a 15 minute interview before heading back out of town. The video is below, followed by a few of his answers. (It’s simply too long to do an entire transcript, sorry.)

On the 2014 crop of GOP Senate candidates:

I think we’re doing well. I think we learned from some of the excesses of 2010. I think mostly my critiques of the past four years, six years, of Republican candidates hasn’t had as much to do with ideology, it’s to do with whether they were amateurs or not. We’ve done a lot of really dumb things. Harry Reid.. not only should he not be running the Senate right now, Harry Reid should be back in Nevada. He should have been retired. We’ve nominated some really weak candidates in the Senate, we’ve done well in the House, and if we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot I think we’re going to take the Senate back.

On the GOP’s chances in 2016:

I think we remain the party that’s fiscally responsible, and we can win again. Younger voters are becoming more libertarian. I’m hopeful about the Republican Party and I’m hopeful about this country…

Freedom, lower taxes, the federal government getting out of small business”s way… that helps an 18 year old Latino voter in South Central LA as much as it helps a hedge fund broker in Greenwich, CT. In fact, I believe it helps the 18 year old Latino voter in South Central LA more than it helps the hedge fund broker in Greenwich because crony capitalism rules in Washington DC and the hedge fund broker is going to be taken care of. I believe that. But if we nominate candidates that don’t believe that, who believe in “the 47%” then we’re going to lose elections.

The inevitable question. Was he in New Hampshire because he’s “testing the waters” for a presidential run, as some have suggested?

When I do things, whether it’s running for Congress or doing our show, I do it 100%. I wake up at 4 in the morning, I do my show, a lot of times I go until 10 or 11 o’clock at night. Right now I’m not going 100%. If I were running, you would know that I was running whether I announced it or not. I’m just not doing it right now. I’m keeping all options open. People have been asking me from the national Republican Party since 2004, including running for Senate. It’s something that happens every two years. I keep all options open because I absolutely love being in Washington. It’s the best job I ever had. I make a lot more money doing the job I do now, I meet a lot of great people, I have a lot more freedom. You don’t have news people poking and prodding you all the time. But still, I loved being in Congress… I loved feeling like I was making a difference.

We covered some other things, and as usual, Joe had plenty of opinions to share. There’s an interesting part in there about why the GOP needs to win back voters like Colin Powell. (Not to nominate him, but to win their support at the polls.) The audio isn’t perfect because we were set up right next to a radio station’s rig and the place was packed, but it sounds good enough for podcasting.

Comments

Hahahaha. No.

njrob on March 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM

No freakin’ way, nope, never…

OmahaConservative on March 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM

He’s right about Reid; for all the good the Tea Party has done, the worst thing was pushing Angle against a very-beatable Reid, especially if you consider Reid has been pretty much the most destructive politician in the country in the years since.

blue13326 on March 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Joe is NOT like a Rock Star…

oscarwilde on March 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Why would a Democrat want to run for the Republican nomination?

sharrukin on March 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM

12 comments or bust.

Lost in Jersey on March 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

So, Scarborough is going to battle Killary and Christie for the democrat nomination?

Pork-Chop on March 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I hope he gets in —– and get’s his butt handed to him.

huckleberryfriend on March 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

If it improves the amusement value, Joe said he’d be checking in just to read the comments, anticipating the love festival. ;-)

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

The good thing about a Scarborough run for the White House is that he’ll be forced to leave TV! Anytime we can get rid of a shrill, left-wing voice like his from TV is a good thing. But as to a run for the GOP nomination for President I only ask why he’s not running as a Democrat where he belongs?

Warner Todd Huston on March 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Great! Another walking, breathing waste of time and money who thinks of the presidential primary process as an opportunity for a personal PR-campaign.

We need rules to screen out the parasites otherwise our primaries will forever be a ridiculous circus.

Valkyriepundit on March 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

What’s a Democrat doing addressing Republicans?

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

About 93% of Crimeans in referendum voted to join Russia – exit poll

I for one am shocked…shocked, I tell you!

sharrukin on March 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Hey Joe, if you want Colin’s support you better turn black. That’s the only issue important to him.

Flange on March 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Without Mika’s legs…he is nothing.

trs on March 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Well he is more conservative than the rest of the GoPe, but then again so is the majority of the nation.

njrob on March 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Mika w/b a dumber FLOTUS than Michelette.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Oh sure. An MSLSD hack running for president. I’m sure he’s got Mika’s support as well as the rest of the obama-cult members on that network.

Why anyone who’s been on that station for as long as he has, would think any conservative would take him seriously, they really need some intense psychoanalysis. He’s delusional.

tru2tx on March 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

It does.

Hey, Joe, Mika is/looks dumber than a rock next to you. You s/b ashamed to appear on TV or in public with such a vacuous nothing of a being.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Joe can READ? That’s shocking.

Myron Falwell on March 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I think Joe should set his sights a little lower, like maybe the head of programming at MSDNC.

FloatingRock on March 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM

GOP to avoid ‘traveling circus’ for 2016 primary debates; Priebus nixes liberal moderators

The Republican Party’s finally playing to win.

The 2016 presidential nomination process will include fewer than half the televised debates of the “traveling circus” of 2012, GOP National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus announced Friday.

More important, Republicans are going to stop letting the mainstream media determine their agenda by determining the topics during debates, Priebus said, according to the Associated Press.

“I think a traveling circus of debates is insanity in this party,” Priebus said at the California Republican Party’s Spring Convention in Burlingame, Calif. “We’re proposing to have fewer than 10, and this time around, we’re going to pick the moderators.”

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

His radio show failed, his books aren’t read by a soul, his morning show is decimated by “Fox and Friends” – it’s either run for President or pose nude.

Marcus on March 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Oh, this is just too precious. Scarborough’s book is right now #212,247 on Amazon sales rankings.

He would never give up his $7 million year salary acting as Obama’s propagandist/attack dog against conservatives. His ratings have been bleeding over the past couple of years. He is trying to play at being conservative again to try to draw some more suckers to his morning clown show.

beedubya on March 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Jazz, you Allah and Ed are among the few Republicans who cares what Joe Scarborough says or thinks. When someone has to have Mika as a broadcast partner to appear smarter, it says volumes about how dumb he is.

bw222 on March 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I wonder what he thinks of working with all the racists at MSDNC.

22044 on March 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Why would a Democrat want to run for the Republican nomination?

sharrukin on March 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Hebert Huntsman redux.

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Oh for crap sake. No way in hell this clown is ever going to get the nomination or anything close to it. What gives? What gets into these people heads to give them a sense that people are doing anything but laughing at them?

Joe. Stick with your MSNBC gig. It’s where you belong. Your fifteen minutes of being taken seriously by anyone is up.

oldroy on March 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I’m curious, since he and Mark McKinnon are founders of the “No Labels” party, has anyone asked him why he’s not running under their ticket?

Marcus on March 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Joe’s talking about Republicans remaining the party of fiscal responsibility and how younger voters are becoming more Libertairian. Yep, Joe’s talking.

Hm.

Tell me, Joe, how the GOP has done anything fiscally responsible in the last fifty years or done a damn thing to reduce the size of government. And tell me Joe, just how you have ever participated in those pixie dust harvesting endeavors.

Hell, I’d vote for Mika over you, Joe, just because she believes the crap she spews.

M240H on March 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

How’s it going so far for ya, Joe? Feel the love?

tru2tx on March 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Oh good.

Get ready to get “Palinized” Joe. Especially in regards to the unfortunate “accident” that occurred in your office while you were a FL Congressmen.

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Hebert Huntsman redux.

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM

The same playbook gets used again and again, with the same worthless result.

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Only AFTER he gets the nomination, like they did with McCain. I suspect however that Joe wouldn’t even get that far.

sharrukin on March 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM

beedubya on March 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Does he really make $7 million a year…?

JohnGalt23 on March 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Joe Scarborough is like an organ grinder’s monkey. He’ll dance for anyone who places money in his hat.

bw222 on March 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM

That’s pretty much his only use. Take Phil Griffin’s money so he can’t pay more to Maddow & Co.

22044 on March 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Does he really make $7 million a year…?

Hmmm.. I did some checking and it’s only about $5.2. Apparently he got divorced again in October. It was revealed in court proceedings that he gets nearly $100,000 per week from AMessNBC…but get this…he’s only paying $30K per week for alimony and child support

beedubya on March 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Whatever.

Joe’s like McCain – the left’s favorite ‘Republican’. Can always be counted on to torpedo conservatives, help talk up the Democrat party line, always find fault with ‘the right’, rarely ‘the left’, and as occasionally as a blind squirrel will still find a nut, will occasionally, perhaps accidentally, stammer out something that almost has a whiff of ‘Republican’ perspective to it.

Midas on March 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Sweet Jebus! Things aren’t bad enough, but this azz-clown wants to get in and muddy the waters further…

bofh on March 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I must resist……….I must resist………..

I like posting here and would not like that privelige revoked, so I’ll just go away now without mentioning a certain somebody.

D-fusit on March 16, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Hmmm.. I did some checking and it’s only about $5.2.

beedubya on March 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Still. I mean… damn.

And I thought Teh Fred! was an idiot for dropping his L&O gig to run for POTUS. I guarantee he wasn’t making no $5 mill/year.

Reverse mortgages, Joe…

JohnGalt23 on March 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Sorry…Scarborough is not paying out #30k/week to his ex-wife and kids…it’s $30k a MONTH alimony…and NO CHILD SUPPORT

beedubya on March 16, 2014 at 3:13 PM

LOL, his YouTube up there has 5 views in 24 hours.

(It’s simply too long to do an entire transcript, sorry.)

Awww, don’t be.

Marcus on March 16, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Ewwwwww. *spraying my screen liberally with Windex*

Yuuuukkkkk *spraying the entire room with Lysol*

kringeesmom on March 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Hey Joe, stop joining with MSNBC crew to attack principled conservatives like Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin, and you might get a better reception here.

TarheelBen on March 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

LOL, his YouTube up there has 5 views in 24 hours.

Funny…that’s about the average daily viewership for Morning Joe, too.

beedubya on March 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Joe Scarborough: I think we remain the party that’s fiscally responsible

It seems pretty obvious that Joe has no idea of what those words mean.
______

Joe Scarborough: we can win again.

Yes, they just need to complete their war on the Conservative Republican voter base and it will be clear sailing to electoral victory with moderates and illegals!

RJL on March 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Scarborough was my Rep in Florida’s 1st District. He was, is, and always will be, an opportunist. Did you ask him about when he QUIT his seat in the House, and cost us $60,000 or more for the special election? No, of course you didn’t ! I know Joe; Joe is no friend to Republicans.

mountainaires on March 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Hey, Joey,let me give you a little suggestion and guidance for your anticipated political revival:
F.
O.
A.
D.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 16, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I think when it comes down to brass tacks…Joe would probably be alright…

But on the other hand…he does vent his spleen on MSNBC to fit in with the rest of the retards…

…so I’m vexed.

BigWyo on March 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Joe Scarborough…lol…another weekend at Hot Air.

The_Conservative on March 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Although admittedly it is early, I’d love for Hot Air to start doing their presidential primary polls of its readers. Imagine the horror of the editors when Ted Cruz comes back the overwhelming winner.

The_Conservative on March 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I’m pretty sure this will be the last time Jazz interviews a pol, and directs them to read the comments thread.

Thomas More on March 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Scarborough is the worst of the worst…the idea that he thinks he can run as Republican just shows that too much of the Republican Party,is an inside the Beltway cesspool of lobbyists, RINO’s, statists, and establishment creepos……

georgealbert on March 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM

The man is a complete unprincipled entertainer and a buffoon. He’s proved that more than a few times.

Please. We can do much better than Joe Scarborough. Much better.

Marcus Traianus on March 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I made it to 3:19

WhatSlushfund on March 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM

LOL..I would imagine that by now Scarborough knows he’s a joke.

If not he should watch some re-runs of himself sucking up to “Rev. Al”

bluesdoc70 on March 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Angle was a bad candidate that won because the GOP didn’t really invest in the candidate they wanted to win the primaries. Same with the witch in Delaware.

BigWillieStyles on March 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM

You would have to search high and low to find a more vile opportunist than Joe Scarborough. The attacks and garbage spewed against Sarah Palin on his show are unbelievable, especially when you see the grifter/tax cheat Al Sharpton, seated at his round table, treated like a statesman.

But if Joe is serious he better rustle up a first lady by 2016, because 2 ex-wives and no first lady isn’t going to cut it for the Republican nominee.

coca on March 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Joe represents the worst in politics and the GOP. Joe, you need to answer for the dead girl found in your office that you ran away.

The GOP is dead, and why you conservatives insist on clinging to it with the hopes that it will somehow turn around is your most glaring weakness. Better learn to adapt to change and move another direction because the GOP has sold its soul years ago.

ClassicCon on March 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Jazz Shaw on March 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

This is what disgusts me about the political class from top to bottom and all the “remoras” like conservative media which gulps up their scraps with no thought of personal conviction.

This scumbag has never answered for the dead girl in his office and here is a Hot Air blogger playing along with the guy like he is just some other GOP schmuck? So you are no better than the Kennedy apologists?

ClassicCon on March 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Joey can kiss my ass!

GarandFan on March 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Why would a Democrat want to run for the Republican nomination?

sharrukin on March 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Because a Republican is roughly the equivalent of a Democrat.

rickv404 on March 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Because a Republican is roughly the equivalent of a Democrat.

rickv404 on March 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Sadly true.

sharrukin on March 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM

…Joe!…you’re still a shithead!…and not a conservative……..hate to break it to you!

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Joe has frequently spoken well of Hot Air

Oh, piss off, Jazz. Is Joe somehow unaware that he is universally despised at Hotair? That the mention of his name invites derision and mockery?

Take the last five columns on Myth McConnell and change the name to Scarborough — he’s just as big a douche as McConnell. I guarantee that he was right there with the RINO Brigade, endorsing every single incumbent POS against Mike Lee, Rubio, Cruz, and Rand Paul, and cheering RINO scum like Orrin Hatch and Charlie Crisp.

What a bunch of tripe.

Jaibones on March 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Because a Republican is roughly the equivalent of a Democrat.

rickv404 on March 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Nonsense. There are huge differences between the parties, or none of us would be here.

I hope you mean to denigrate Scab-borough’s RINO wing of the GOP party establishment, the scum who backed Charlie Crist and Arlen Specter against Rubio and Toomey; who backed Bennett and Dewhurst against Lee and Cruz; who vote for debt ceiling increases, spending increases, Obamacare funding, earmarks, and amnesty to supply cheap labor for their big donor cronies.

Jaibones on March 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I think we learned from some of the excesses of 2010.

- Scab-borough

Awe…was the 998 net Republican takeovers in 2010 excessive, Joe? Did you and your liberal Democrat PMSNBC show guests feel bad?

Piss off.

Jaibones on March 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I really am reluctant to pile on Mr. Scarborough, but I must comment. I used to enjoy watching ‘Scarborough Country’ right around the beginning of the invasion of Iraq by our military. Then MSNBC really began to come out and lean left and continue that direction up until this very day, when they are about as dishonest, disreputable and disgusting as any so called media entity on earth. For Joe Scarborough to remain among the filthy rat bass turds that infest that God forsaken hell hole, he outs himself as a harlot, who will do or say anything for a buck. I have zero respect for anyone that has anything at all to do with MSNBC. I wish that all conservatives and wannabe conservatives would keep their distance as well. Attempting to engage in a discussion with any of their tarantula fanged hosts is a lesson in futility and is fraught with the dangers of being eviscerated by their insane ranting and railings. In short…you will never get MY vote, Mr. Scarborough. Ever.

bimmcorp on March 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM

ClassicCon on March 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Jazz is far and away the most liberal of all the HotGas bloggers. Consequently, his posts are barely comprehensible and easy to ignore.

This dreadful post today should come as a shock to no one.

Myron Falwell on March 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Is Joe planning another book and figuring running for President is the best way to hawk it, a la Gingrich?

He definitely could compete for the vast Jon Huntsman constituency.

But we live in the colonoscopy era for Republican candidates nowadays, though. Gingrich had to revisit his divorces all over again, Santorum was faced with his wife’s life before she met him, Romney had to deal with family vacations and high school hi-jinks.

Scarborough should expect to fully explain his resignation from Congress and all related questions.

Which is why I suspect he is just stroking his own ego with the candidacy talk, like a poor man’s Donald Trump.

Adjoran on March 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM

A RINO on the MSDNC payroll thinks he could get the GOP nomination? That’s hilarious.

This further bolsters my hypothesis that collecting a regular paycheck from MSDNC is evidence the payee is out of touch with reality and delusional.

farsighted on March 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Once in a great while slow Joe is right about something. Thinking he might win the nomination wouldn’t be one of those moments. More than likely this is just a chance to get his name in the news so he can keep his day job as the token RINO at msdnc.

jpmn on March 16, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Joe Scarborough: “Come on in, the interns are fine”

reddevil on March 17, 2014 at 1:54 AM

I think it would be a very good thing for him to get in. No, I highly doubt that I could support him or that he could win. But I do think that he would add a little more balance and broaden the party’s appeal by participation.

MJBrutus on March 17, 2014 at 7:19 AM

darling of the radically moderate

JackBissell on March 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Mornin’ Joe for President, ha, ha, what a joke. Where do we get such people to form the GOP? He’s nuts.

RoyalFlush on March 17, 2014 at 8:53 AM