And your latest straw poll winner is…

posted at 12:31 pm on March 16, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Do we even need to start with the usual caveats regarding straw polls? Under the best of circumstances they tend to be narrow snapshots, walled off by geography and representing the most active and enthusiastic voters who show up at such places where straw polls are taken. And they aren’t always predictive of broader outcomes, with proof of that being found by looking no further back than the 2011 Ames straw poll. Still, it’s better than nothing for political junkies waiting for their next election day fix, and the Northeastern Republican Leadership Conference in Nashua, New Hampshire has served up a new one for you.

And the big winner is

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) won his second GOP presidential straw poll at Saturday’s Northeast Republican Leadership Conference (NRLC) in New Hampshire.

Paul brought in 15 percent of the vote in the first-in-the-nation primary state even though he did not attend, the conference announced in a statement.

“What this survey tells is that is that no one candidate has really separated themselves from the potential field in 2016,” said Ryan Steusloff, vice president of WPA Opinion Research which conducted the poll. “At this point, the nomination is completely up-for-grabs and of the would-be contenders, no one can be ruled out just yet.”

So what you’re saying is that it was definitively not definitive?

Honestly, I was a little shocked to see Rand take first place, even if it was only with 15%. He not only didn’t attend, but didn’t have a booth or any organized supporters that I noticed. I heard his name mentioned possibly twice through the course of the event. Of course, Chris Christie came in second, with 13%, and I didn’t really hear his name either, except in passing by a few of the speakers.

The rest of the line-up was:
Ben Carson, Scott Walker and Rick Santorum tied for 3rd at 11%
Bobby Jindal 9%
Jeb Bush 8%
Ted Cruz 4%
Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan and John Bolton tied for last at 3%

What you can see above all else is that this crowd was completely scattered across a number of names, and few were swayed by how much or how little effort the various choices put into wooing them. As mentioned, Paul and Christie were non-entities at the event and they fared best. Bobby Jindal was all over the place, hosting VIP cocktail events, the top billed speaker at Friday’s dinner and pressing the flesh everywhere. All of this failed to get him into double digits. Peter King was there working the crowd from beginning to end and he didn’t even wind up moving the needle.

The only one who seemed to get a payoff for their investment was Ben Carson. While Dr. Carson wasn’t there in person, he was an event sponsor, had a booth with books and promotional material right by the entrance to the Reagan ballroom and had a representative give closing remarks to the entire crowd right before Saturday’s dinner. They were working the crowd in a serious fashion and managed to share a piece of the bronze medal.

I’ll put a bookmark on this one if only for personal entrainment purposes. It will be interesting to compare these numbers to where we stand when CPAC 2016 rolls around.

Comments

Of course it is…

OmahaConservative on March 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM

That’s disappointing. I don’t like Senators as Presidents, they deal in ideas and compromise when what is needed is experience and responsibility.

Socratease on March 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Wait, what was that?

It’s funnier each team you read it.

Flange on March 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I don’t think we should dismiss senators, representatives, governors, etc. just because someone who was one was incompetent. It isn’t about the job. It’s about the person.

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Yeah, God forbid we have a president capable of having an idea.

Racistanyway on March 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I get the appeal of Ben Carson for criticizing Obama in his presence but what makes people think he’s ready to be President?

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Wish-fulfillment.

thebrokenrattle on March 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Socratease on March 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I think you are conflating two types of Senators.

The first is the deal maker. These are the Senators that are attracted to leadership, work the other side of the aisle, and, quite frankly, do the stuff that is necessary to make the Senate “Go” (for good or ill). From this archetype we have seen Bob Dole and Howard Baker rise to prominence.

The second is the idealist. These are the Senators that the first group has to work around. They are better at making the Senate “Stop” (for good or ill). Out of this archetype comes the Barry Goldwaters and the Rand Pauls.

Do we really think POTUS Barry Goldwater or Rand Paul would cut deals just for the sake of making things go…?

JohnGalt23 on March 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM

More interesting is the realization of who came out on bottom, Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan, both who have sold their souls (figuratively speaking) in “compromising” fashion.

ThePainfulTruth on March 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I think Rand Paul is gonna be the one to beat in the primaries. He isn’t my first choice, but I would vote for him. I still would prefer a governor, though. Rick Perry, Scott Walker, maybe Bobby Jindal. I like Ben Carson but how is he qualified to be President? We need someone with experience up there.

Jack_Burton on March 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Too many people in congress are lawyers. Lawyers are deal makers. They aren’t results oriented. They become lost in game playing and forgetting why they are there.

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM

so much of this depends on who decides to run, because there are similar voting blocks that may or may not get split among candidates

for instance, if Jeb doesn’t run, his support may go to Christie

or if Cruz doesn’t run, his support may go to Paul, etc.

We conservatives always end up splitting our vote. The ruling class GOP figure out a single candidate to get behind.

commodore on March 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Oddly enough, Rand Paul may be the one candidate who can pull ‘far left’ votes away from Hillary, the appeal being his non-interventionist positions versus her history of hawkish votes. Doesn’t do much for my Zionist heart, but, pair him with the right running mate and …

M240H on March 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Paulbot Spam

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Paulbot Spam

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

So, do we damn him for the sins of the father, or is that we can’t accept an alliance with “paulbots”? Kind of curious since I apparently have to accept so many dictates of the “literal word of God” crowd.

M240H on March 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, God forbid we have a president capable of having an idea.

Obama has lots of ideas.

I’m not against ideas, but they need to be tested against reality. Legislators are pretty much insulated from reality and the consequences of bad ideas.

Socratease on March 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I heard him on Hannity smearing Cruz for “mischaracterization”.

That didn’t sit well with me. He was snide in tone.

He is catering to a group/groups. IMO.

Frankly, I don’t trust him.

wolly4321 on March 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM

These weasels need to be sent home, with NO exceptions.

The Rs are way more destructive than the D-rats. They enable the socialist agenda of the rats.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Unless Rand Paul withdraws his support of open-borders, which would destroy the country and our liberty, I don’t think he’ll be the nominee.

FloatingRock on March 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Good gosh. Cristie? Bolton? Bush? Santorum?

Why do we still have such an uneducated rebuplican electorate? These sycophants are destructive, divisive people with only selfish ambition. Another Romney lite and we’re toast again.

LaughterJones on March 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Jack_Burton on March 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Perry needs to make up his mind on a 2016 run pretty darn quickly, and avoid all of the blunders that he committed in the debates. That’s possible, but he dug himself so deep of a hole back then.

Scott Walker’s immigration stance, regardless of his astounding victories against public employee unions, would be his ultimate undoing.

Bobby Jindal has the cred, but he needs to show charisma and enthusiasm. He CANNOT deliver anything like his infamous 2009 SOTU response.

Ben Carson has as much of a chance as does Allen West or Ross Perot, I’m sorry to say. The way the system is set up rigged, neophytes and common people cannot run sustained candidacies for POTUS.

Myron Falwell on March 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM

M240H on March 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Oh I like Rand. Doesn’t mean I won’t call them on this bullshit.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Jazz, dismissing this as a meaningless straw poll won’t work this time. According to CNN:

Washington (CNN) – Rand Paul has done something his father never did – top the list of potential Republican presidential candidates in a national poll.

According to a new CNN/ORC International survey, 16% of Republicans and independents who lean toward the GOP say they would be likely to support the senator from Kentucky for the 2016 nomination.

Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee, garnered 15%, with longtime Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who’s considering another bid for the White House, at 11%.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a 2008 GOP presidential candidate, is the only other Republican tested in the survey to crack double digits.

The poll’s sampling error means that statistically it’s not a win for Paul, but his finish is a breakthrough for his family.

A national Quinnipiac poll found Paul tied with Ryan in January for the top spot. That appears to be as close as either Rand Paul or his father, Ron Paul, has ever come to nabbing first place all by himself in any national poll.

Among the other potential presidential hopefuls in the new CNN survey, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is at 9%, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas each at 8%.

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida registered 5% and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who battled eventual GOP nominee Mitt Romney deep into the 2012 GOP primary and caucus calendar, polled 3%.

“With a crowded field and no clear frontrunner among the potential candidates, we should expect to see constant fluctuation in the amount of support most candidates get and the order of finish, so it would be easy to read too much into these numbers,” said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

While Paul is only 1 point ahead of Ryan, his placement is symbolic.

“Remember the 2011-2012 presidential season, when at least five GOP candidates – Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Rick Perry and Herman Cain – topped our polls at one time or another?” said Holland. “Notice who was never in first place during that topsy-turvy time: Ron Paul.”

The elder Paul, then a congressman from Texas, also never managed to get double-digit support in national polling when he ran for the GOP nomination in 2008. Paul also ran for President in 1988 as a libertarian candidate.

Firefly_76 on March 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Paul is giving talking points trying to appeal to everyone. Sorry, but he is another independent wacko bird like his father. I’ll take Ted Cruz for liberty any day.

trs on March 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Paul seems to be squishing on everything from
McConnell on down . Don’t like it .
McConnell obviously is not a big fan so why does
Paul give him a pass ?

Lucano on March 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Paul seems to be squishing on everything from
McConnell on down . Don’t like it .
McConnell obviously is not a big fan so why does
Paul give him a pass ?

Lucano on March 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Because McConnell is the leader of his party in the Senate.

Because McConnell is the senior senator from his home state.

Because the thought that a Dem can get elected statewide in KY is a serious consideration.

Now, any one of those three reasons is more than sufficient reason for a GOP senator to work for the reelection of the GOP senator in question. Put all three of them together, and I really don’t understand what yor objection is…

JohnGalt23 on March 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I don’t know if this can be written off as the usual straw poll spam, Paul’s numbers in this straw poll mirrors his numbers in the opinion polls of New Hampshire. Straw polls are irrelevant of course (especially in 2014), but I think the numbers for Paul and Christie are relatively accurate.

midgeorgian on March 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

What?! But Rand is not socon enough, everyone must be socon for socon is only the socon is the right socon must be for everyone socon must be imposed socon is the only truth socon socon.

John the Libertarian on March 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Myron Falwell on March 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Wasn’t it Perry who called those against giving in-state tuition to illegals… “Heartless”?

Kaffa on March 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I keep getting mailings about some ‘draft Ben Carson’ for president

I respect Carson, but he has never held public office and never ran for any office. I don’t understand who is voting for him in straw polls and why they think he has a chance

Rand Paul would draw votes from the left….but it’s too early…2014 is way more important

Redford on March 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Kaffa on March 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I guess that is quotable, but some readers think that means free or waived. It doesn’t. It gets old saying this, but that was a Texas decision. What makes many of you think Perry will push for that nation wide?

But back to Rand, whether we are for or against him, he will pull in the youth vote. Isn’t that what worked so well in Obama’s favor?

jazzuscounty on March 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Cruz would be nice but he wasn’t born in the US. Carson has no experience and, sorry, no personality and I don’t think he wants to run. Of course they all say that. Huckabee is a good man but a squishy RINO. Perry would be ok. Christie, not if he’s the last Republican on earth. I could vote for Paul or Jindal but I’m not sure Paul has a handle on everything going on. I’m not sure how to describe it but I don’t think he can govern. I could support Romney again. Nobody is as capable of governing as he is and we need somone like that. The rest of them? Forget it. Not going to happen.

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM
You’re right and I understand those motives .
However , I remain skeptical ( got burnt by
Rubio ) . There is so much ” horse trading ”
going on that I wonder where it stops .
McConnell is a good parliamentarian but is
he trustworthy ? Is there another in the senate
that could do his job ? ( If Bevin gets elected he
won’t be leader of anything )
Not sure where Paul is on amnesty or how deep his
isolationism is . Having a strong foreign policy and being a
trustworthy ally is important today . And no it doesn’t mean
going to war or ignoring everything outside the US either .
I have a problem with the guy but willing to listen .

Lucano on March 16, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Rand Paul should be our next President. The old rule about candidates being required to have executive experience is only appropriate for a time when the goal is to administer the state. We are not living in ordinary times. We are living in a time when government is of unprecedented scale and scope, and the goal is to roll it back. The skills required to administer are different from the skills required to identify what is an inappropriate function of government and dismantle it.

I think we all know on some level that because of his history, Rand Paul is the only candidate who really believes in rolling back government as a moral imperative. The others do not. They just want to make tweaks to make the welfare and entitlement state “sustainable.” They don’t have the heart, mind, or guts to do otherwise. They talk about it in the abstract, but their ideas are small. But everyone can sense that Rand Paul is a true believer.

I know many are concerned about his libertarian foreign policy, but the reality is that who the President is won’t make much difference to foreign policy in the next few years. We were never going to return to a state of power projection after the financial crisis and the nationwide ideological upheaval over big government. There will come a day when Pax Americana returns. It won’t be for a while. The world can wait. Right now, we must take care of internal matters, and there is only one individual who is willing and able to do that.

Observation Post on March 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Jack_Burton on March 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I am not crazy about Paul … fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree …

and Rick Perry coming out in support of Mitch … major strike against him in my mind.

conservative tarheel on March 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM

These weasels need to be sent home, with NO exceptions.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Dean Heller wants to run against Harry Reid next time for Senate so he is moving left re: unemployment benefits to try to find friends with the Unions (who aren’t so happy right now with Reid — especially the hospitality services unions in Las Vegas casinos and restaurants due to Ocare). I want to see Reid defeated in 2016 so can almost excuse the tactic.

The rest have been squishes for years and should all go.

Greyledge Gal on March 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I keep getting mailings about some ‘draft Ben Carson’ for president

Redford on March 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I narrowed my personal faves a few months back to Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Ben Carson.

Right now, Carson and Paul are my top picks, as I am having some issues with Cruz and his cult of personality (and not sure what is going on with the tattooed Cruz posters in Los Angeles right now – if he’s behind it, then too much like Obama/Hope posters).

As to Ben Carson – those who believe he doesn’t know anything about politics or leading anything need to learn more about him. From his website, this is his current position:

I am fully aware that there are those organizations who desperately would like for me to seek public office, specifically that of the President of the United States. I have not endorsed any of these organizations and have neither any professional nor personal relationships and am not in communication with any of them. I have not authorized any solicitation of funds in my name or likeness. Furthermore, I maintain that as of today it is not my intention to seek public office. Instead I will continue to strive very hard to not only expose what is happening in our nation, but also to suggest ways to regain a direction that will lead our nation towards freedom and justice for all. If God has other plans for me moving forward, I am certain he will make those clear and I will always listen.

And here is his bio:

Benjamin S. Carson, Sr., M.D., had a childhood dream of becoming a physician. Growing up in a single parent home with dire poverty, poor grades, a horrible temper, and low self-esteem appeared to preclude the realization of that dream until his mother, with only a third-grade education, challenged her sons to strive for excellence. Young Ben persevered and today is an emeritus professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and he has directed pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center for over 39 years. He became the inaugural recipient of a professorship dedicated in his name in May, 2008. He is now the Emeritus Benjamin S. Carson, Sr., M.D. and Dr. Evelyn Spiro, R.N. Professor of Pediatric Neurosurgery, having retired on June 30, 2013.

Some career highlights include the first separation of craniopagus (Siamese) twins joined at the back of the head in 1987, the first completely successful separation of type-2 vertical craniopagus twins in 1997 in South Africa, and the first successful placement of an intrauterine shunt for a hydrocephalic twin. Although he has been involved in many newsworthy operations, he feels that every case is noteworthy – deserving of maximum attention. He is interested in all aspects of pediatric neurosurgery and has a special interest in trigeminal neuralgia (severe facial pain) in adults.

Dr. Carson holds more than 60 honorary doctorate degrees. He is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, the Horatio Alger Society of Distinguished Americans, and many other prestigious organizations. He sits on the board of directors of numerous organizations, including Kellogg Company, Costco Wholesale Corporation, the Academy of Achievement, and is an Emeritus Fellow of the Yale Corporation, the governing body of Yale University. He was appointed in 2004 by President George W. Bush to serve on the President’s Council on Bioethics. He is a highly regarded motivational speaker who has addressed various audiences from school systems and civic groups to corporations and the President’s National Prayer Breakfast.

In 2001, Dr. Carson was named by CNN and TIME Magazine as one of the nation’s 20 foremost physicians and scientists. That same year, he was selected by the Library of Congress as one of 89 “Living Legends” on the occasion of its 200th anniversary. He is also the recipient of the 2006 Spingarn Medal which is the highest honor bestowed by the NAACP. In February, 2008, Dr. Carson was presented with the Ford’s Theatre Lincoln Medal by President Bush at the White House. In June, 2008, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by the President, which is the highest civilian honor in the land. He has literally received hundreds of other awards during his distinguished career.

In June 2013, after 40 years of medical endeavors, Carson retired and today serves as Professor Emeritus of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University.

In addition writing a weekly opinion column for The Washington Times, Carson is a FOX News contributor and currently working on his newest book, One Nation, scheduled for release in May 2014.

Today, Dr. Carson and his wife, Candy, dedicate themselves to expanding the reach of the Carson Scholars Fund. Their dream is to name a Carson Scholar in every school within the United States.

Dr Carson has headed up departments at highly respected medical universities. If you don’t think there is a lot of politics there . . . *rolls eyes*. I doubt he will run but he certainly could be the answer for those looking for a public servant as President, in the mold of our founders, rather than a traditional politician.

I’m not going to get into Rand Paul’s pluses or minuses here because those who have read about him and listened to him know the truth of his intelligence, integrity, and stances, and those who have not read about him and listened to him think he is just like his Dad.

Greyledge Gal on March 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

All of this failed to get him into double digits.

All of that got him triple his usual placing at around 3% in polls. I’d say that was an excellent showing.

Dusty on March 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM

FloatingRock on March 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM

How is this an Open Borders stance? From Paul’s Senate site:

I do not support amnesty, I support legal immigration and recognize that the country has been enriched by those who seek the freedom to make a life for themselves. However, millions of illegal immigrants are crossing our border without our knowledge and causing a clear threat to our national security. I want to work in the Senate to secure our border immediately. In addition, I support the creation of a border fence and increased border patrol capabilities.

Immigrants should meet the current requirements, which should be enforced and updated. I realize that subsidizing something creates more of it, and do not think the taxpayer should be forced to pay for welfare, medical care and other expenses for illegal immigrants. Once the subsidies for illegal immigration are removed, the problem will likely become far less common.

I support local solutions to illegal immigration as protected by the 10th amendment. I support making English the official language of all documents and contracts.

Millions crossing our border without our knowledge constitutes a clear threat to our nation’s security. Instead of closing military bases at home and renting space in Europe, I am open to the construction of bases to protect our border.

Again, Rand Paul does not equal Ron Paul.

Greyledge Gal on March 16, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I am having some issues with Cruz and his cult of personality

Greyledge Gal on March 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Lolz! Thanks for the laugh! Too funny!

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM

midgeorgian on March 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Nope. Its pushed. No doubt about it. My opinion.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM

and not sure what is going on with the tattooed Cruz posters

Greyledge Gal on March 16, 2014 at 5:39 PM

All I can say is I’m green with envy I didn’t chop em! They rock!

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I don’t know why everyone is blaming Rand Paul for his father. KNock that off.

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Carson is looking strong for a non-politician.

eski502 on March 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Nope. Its pushed. No doubt about it. My opinion.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM

You’re entitled to your opinion, not your own facts. I cited a national CNN poll above. That article also cites another poll by Quinnipiac. Paul is consistently at the top of the pack.

Firefly_76 on March 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Firefly_76 on March 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Sorry. Historical precedent. Its an MO.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM

The rest of the line-up was:
Ben Carson, Scott Walker and Rick Santorum tied for 3rd at 11%
Bobby Jindal 9%
Jeb Bush 8%
Ted Cruz 4%
Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan and John Bolton tied for last at 3%

…was everybody smoking pot?

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Rand Paul will never be on a national Republican ticket.

Learn it.
Love it.
Live it.

Adjoran on March 16, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Rand Paul will never be on a national Republican ticket.

Learn it.
Love it.
Live it.

Adjoran on March 16, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Uh huh. Psychic, I see.

Perhaps you can give us a small, more immediate test of your powers?

Is the DJIA going up or down tomorrow…?

JohnGalt23 on March 16, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Any such “straw poll” without Governor Sarah Palin’s name on it is a sham and a farce.

Sandbear on March 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Socratease on March 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Have you read Senator Ted Cruz’s bio at wiki or anywhere else? He’s the exact opposite of Mr. Obama.

Sandbear on March 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Paul seems to be squishing on everything from
McConnell on down . Don’t like it .
McConnell obviously is not a big fan so why does
Paul give him a pass ?
Lucano on March 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM

They both support Amnesty

Brock Robamney on March 17, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Sandbear on March 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Any straw poll that shows the bridge tender ahead of Cruz and with more than 4% of the vote needs to be scrutinized.

Brock Robamney on March 17, 2014 at 5:46 AM