Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon

posted at 7:01 pm on March 15, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

This is a small local item, but given the mainstream media’s almost unwavering focus on instances of gun violence without much focus at all on the many more stories of successful (and non-violent!) gun-crime prevention, I thought this was a hoot and an appropriate palate cleanser for a Saturday evening. From the Fay Observer in North Carolina:

Ashley Marie Hurd, 26, a driver for Domino’s Pizza, took the order to a house on the 200 block of Stuart Avenue about 10 p.m., a police report said.

When she arrived, a man was standing outside, and she told him how much the bill was, said Lt. Todd Joyce, Fayetteville police spokesman.

As she was doing so, Joyce said, a second man, wearing a dark-colored jacket, came around from the side of the house.

The man put something to the back of Hurd’s head and demanded money, Joyce said.

“Unbeknownst to them, she had a weapon,” Joyce said. “She pulled out a gun, and when she did, the suspects fled and they didn’t get anything.”

Too good. The guy(s?) probably thought, Hey, here’s a mild young lady I can easily intimidate and/or overpower to make a quick buck (or worse!) — but he (they?) didn’t count on her being responsibly and readily equipped with the equalizing force of a firearm. It warms my heart to no end, not only that concealed carry laws have lately been trending toward greater accessibility across the country, but that women are the fastest-growing demographic taking their self-defense into their own hands. Righteous.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Obama national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine
Obama did not attend the meeting
sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

sharrukin: Fired off to tips a few minutes ago,
Leader of the Free World,……….M.I.A:)
canopfor on March 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Clearly Obama has more important things to do…

Registration has started for the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge, offered by Quicken Loans and backed by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway (ticker: BRKA). Fill out a perfect March Madness bracket, predicting the winner of all 63 games in the NCAA men’s college basketball tournament, and Buffett will hand you $1 billion—sort of.

kcewa on March 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Nonpartisan should be required to watch AMC on Saturday mornings.

He could you use a strong dose of Rawhide and The Rifleman.

Rawhide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbHRRflRHP4

The Rifleman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B0brdPWdCs

BuckeyeSam on March 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM

The only thing wrong with this story is that she didn’t drop one or both of those pieces of shit.

Midas on March 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM

My previous comment did not make any sense withourtthe link. I have no idea is the link works. Just type it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8r6CY5UZyw or

Old Country Boy on March 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM

You’re Exhibit A why your mother should’ve taken advantage of planned parenthood.

BeachBum on March 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

frankly, that’s uncalled for

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Indeed np, it should have been less kind.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Come on guys…stop being sucked in by NP. It seems to post irregularly, but when it posts it sure seems like a regular. It is either a lurker who reads this site on a regular basis; a member with another IP address; or Ed with a wig trying to drum up the post count. Hint…there is another poster here who does not capitalize the start of a sentence. NP…up your game…..please!

HonestLib on March 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM

canopfor on March 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Apparently time on the golf course was more important than whatever is going on in the Ukraine. He isn’t the leader of much of anything.

sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

sharrukin: Yup,..and after, five years, he continues to go lower and lower
in disrespecting the Office of Prezy-Dent!:)

canopfor on March 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM

If this had happened in Chicago, I have little doubt that she would be in jail on weapons charges, and the would-be robbers would be granted immunity from prosecution to testify against her.

I bet she’s glad she lives in N.C. where she will not be punished for choosing not to be a victim.

Of course the Feds have yet to weigh in on this, so she may not be off the hook yet.

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The funniest thing was when NP claimed to be RWM’s intellectual superior. That still makes me laugh.

CW on March 15, 2014 at 8:35 PM

canopfor on March 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Clearly Obama has more important things to do…

kcewa on March 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

kcewa:

So, Hopey probably has a War-Room set up, going there endless scenarios
on possible game-match-ups!!:)

Ugh!

canopfor on March 15, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Old Country Boy on March 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Old Country Boy: I had seen that,..and, Linky is operational!:)

canopfor on March 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Some of those ATF agents aren’t exactly genius material.

Moron ATF Agent Seizes 30 Toy Guns! Says They can be Converted!

sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Lanceman on March 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

hang my head because i’d rather not live in a world where it’s acceptable to be shot to death for sneaking into your high school girlfriend’s room? you only think fondly of the threat of a shotgun to your head when getting into your GFs pants because A) you never had one to your head and B) the trigger wasn’t pulled.

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

That is the chance you take when you break into someone else’s home. If you don’t want to risk getting shot then knock on the front door…don’t crawl through the back window.

sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM

1) I bet she is terminated, IIRC, Domino’s has a policy of No Guns… Corporate Liability Issue. 1a) The only way to change that is for a employee or the estate/family of an employee to sue Domino’s for either robbery, injuries or death, by arguing Domino’s disarms its employees and so has a responsibility to ensure their safety. That would change the calculus of Corporate Liability.

2) I’ll echo NP… the bad guys put something to her head. Know what, she’s lucky it wasn’t a gun. Even armed, I’d have complied, after all THEY have the tactical advantage here, not her. 2a) This speaks to the utter incompetence of the bad guys, they didn’t have a fire arm or as a friend of mine once said, “Criminals seem to think a pistol is a S&W Visa Card. I show it and people give me stuff.”. Not that it’s a real device of death…. Had these two Potato Heads been more than halfway capable, she’d be dead…. Lucky, for her, they were Potato Heads.

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM

If they hadn’t been Potato Heads they would know that putting a gun that close to someone is almost always a bad idea. As you say simply having a gun doesn’t make you invincible.

sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I’m surprised she wasn’t fired. Domino’s frowns upon their employees going around armed.

RickB on March 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I used to deliver for Domino’s Pizza, and at the time the company’s policy was that no employee was allowed to be armed. It didn’t stop me from carrying anyway, and my store manager knew I was carrying. For that matter, he carried as well, and always had his gun on him when he made the night deposit.

It was understood that if I had ever used my gun on a delivery, it would cost me my job.

Gator Country on March 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM

It’s better to be fired, than dead….

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM

It’s better to be fired, than dead….

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That was exactly my reasoning.

Gator Country on March 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I hang my head because tards like you not only cancel out my vote but also are in need of special assistance from taxpayers.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Insufficient data/detail to make a ‘judgement’ as to whether she took a “greater risk” or not by drawing her weapon.

What is her level of combat experience ?

Did she think of the possibility of rape, and decide it’s better dying in trying to defend against it, than living through it ?

More detail must be divulged, to gauge just how much of a “tactical advantage” the would-be perps had.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM

and troglodytes like you live in a delusion of projected fantasy that keep your from living in a reality that’s quickly outpacing you.

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It’s better to be fired, than dead….

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That was exactly my reasoning.

Gator Country on March 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Okay … I guess we agree on that.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

From your link:

His daughter apparently told him she did not know the boy.

It’s weird how the story is so much different than you suggested.

Why is that?

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

am I missing something?

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM

yes, reading comprehension for one thing.
but there are way too many items for us to discuss here, I suggest visiting a therapist asap.

dmacleo on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Shipley seems pretty excited about a trend towards defenseless women.

What a sick creep.

Murphy9 on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Well Tom Shipley you might not be shot for sneaking into your partner’s bedroom, HOWEVER, you might well be shot for breaking and entering and burglary; your partner’s father doesn’t know you’re there for a little carnal fun (consensual). He ought to suspect you are there for a little robbery, and carnal fun(nonconsensual), i.e., RAPE and mayhap a little of the Old Ultra-Violence….”Viddy well brother, viddy well.”. So given that “you” are in his domicile and you haven’t proclaimed your intentions and in fact have proclaimed that you have EVIL intentions, even if they are for a bit of the Old In-Out-In-Out, well why should be surprised that you might be shot?

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

she should have pissed her pants and perioded all over the place according to some I guess.
but she didn’t freeze up and took control of the situation.
we just cannot have that happening now can we?

dmacleo on March 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

And you of course would be one of the enlightened ones?

sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM

It’s better to be fired, than dead….

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Maybe more accurately – It is better to be fired FROM than fired AT.

Old Country Boy on March 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM

A) you never had one to your head and B) the trigger wasn’t pulled.

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I’ve had both, jagoff. I’ve had a gun pointed right at me by a drunk ad I’ve been shot at.

And you know something? It never once crossed my mind to wish their guns confiscated.

Life is scary, boy.

Lanceman on March 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

As to what the driver “should have done” I can’t say… All I can say is, that as long as “they” have the “drop on me” I’m not reaching for my gun… sure IF the chance presents itself, then yeah go for it…

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Old Country Boy, I believe you’ve got it exactly right, fired from, not at….

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Or you might be shot when you make a choice to reach for something after a nervous father protecting his family tells the man in his daughter’s room, who she doesn’t know, to not move.

You know. Like the dead guy in Tom_Shipley’s example.

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Ad homs ALWAYS add the final convincing argument. Since you used the word “troglodytes” which you have extracted from the latest librul users guide, I guess that makes you more educated and enlightened.

Old Country Boy on March 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM

And Tom, as you seem to be on about the father who shot the lover, please note who “caused” that… the lover, for B&E and the DAUGHTER for not owning up to the fact that a bit of “Hide the Salami” was taking place, with her consent…..

Given that there was a man in his daughter’s room, a man she claimed to not know, well then I’m very sorry for those two families, but that’s what happens when you lie in critical situations.

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Just now reading the article, Tom?

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM

As everyone points out Tom Shipley IS one of the smart ones, the ever-so-clever Enlightened…S/he doesn’t need a firearm, no indeed, until s/he does.

JFKY on March 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Old Country Boy on March 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Tom shouldn’t use such big words. He might hurt himself.

CurtZHP on March 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Hang down your head Tom
Shipley
Hang down your head and cry

Lanceman on March 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

OK, I’ll finish it –

Hang down your head Tom Shipley.
(You’re zipper has caught your tie!)

massrighty on March 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I like that. My mom’s maiden name was Troglodyte. Well really, “O’Troglodyte”, we are Irish.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

It appears rogerb beat me to it, but I’ll “run through the sequence”, anyway . . . . .

Yay guns!

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Yay ! . . . the daughter didn’t get ‘raped.’

I remember sneaking into my GFs room when we were young very late at night. I fully knew I’d be facing the business end of his shotgun had he caught me and he knew me!

Hang down your head Tom_Shipley
Hang down your head and cry

Lanceman on March 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

sharrukin on March 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Right-on sharrukin.

Here’s the pertinent details from the article :

“. . . . . so far it appears the father, who was only identified as a 55-year-old in reports, was awaken by one of his other children at about 2:20 a.m. He was told someone was in his 16-year-old daughter’s bedroom and he grabbed his gun.

He reportedly found the teen in bed with his daughter and confronted him. His daughter apparently told him she did not know the boy.

The father said he told the teen not to move, but reportedly saw the teen reach for something, at which point police say the father opened fire. The teen did not have a gun. His daughter later confessed that she snuck her boyfriend, 17, into the house, the report said.”

Assuming all of the above details are accurate (yeah, I know … assuming a LOT here), and you still wouldn’t do exactly the same thing the father in this story did, then you are a “Major-league sorry-assed WIMP. You don’t deserve having any sense of ‘safety and security’ about yourself.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

If you believe the police are your first-line of defense against some violent attacker (with or without a firearm), then that description is more appropriately directed towards yourself.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I’m pretty sure nonpartisan is an HA staffer. It usually really gets a thread rolling with it’s trolling, generating those revenue-pumping pageviews. It’s comments are so astonishingly stupid it’s a wonder it’s capable of breathing. The staff must really get a kick out of coming up with that stuff.

goflyers on March 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM

The War on Women…brought to you by ‘Holder’s People’.

KirknBurker on March 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

F*ck you, a$$hole.

Midas on March 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I just got on this thread.

Midas responded for me. Thanks Midas.

ToddPA on March 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Lots of questions about the “object to her head how did she fire a gun”, I have a CPL, and carry in a cross body bag that I can, and will shoot through as needed. And, for those who think we’re a bunch of gun crazy beeyotches, please google the women in Detroit who have recently defended their homes from other Obama voters.

waterytart on March 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Sorry I missed the partisanhack beat down on this one.

For the record, someone threatens me these days, I pull and shoot.
Too many cases of innocent victims being shot, stabbed or beaten to death. I will not die on my knees hands in the air begging. I’ll go down fighting – if I lose.

dentarthurdent on March 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

That has to be one of the most stupid – pretentiously stupid – things anyone has ever posted on HotAir.

The reality is this, tommy: If you don’t want to get shot for sneaking into your girlfriend’s bedroom at 0200, then DON’T SNEAK INTO HER HOUSE THROUGH THE WINDOW. What is so difficult to understand about that?
Sneaking into houses in the dead of night is what gets people shot. Perhaps that’s why they call it the DEAD of night.

Solaratov on March 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM

next time a buncha elementary school kids get shot to death, let’s revisit this story and maybe discuss how the lives saved by guns outweigh the innocent lives destroyed b guns

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Get lost loser. When liberals are getting raked over the coals for their unending stupidity you are nowhere to be found. However, once your shift ends on the Obama Pleasuring Team, you’re Johnny-On-The-Spot to spew more nonsense.

307wolverine on March 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Solaratov on March 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM

You betcha.
I know a few dads of teenage girls who may very well shoot a guy in broad daylight if they thought he was messing with the daughter….
There’s a reason the t-shirts that say “Guns Don’t Kill People – Dad’s With Pretty Daughters Kill People” are big sellers.

When I started dating my wife, her dad made a point of showing me his military shooting competition trophies, and saying you’d better not hurt my little girl.
We’ve been married 26 years this June…..
And BTW – SHE’s a pretty good shot now too….

dentarthurdent on March 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM

. . . . . for those who think we’re a bunch of gun crazy beeyotches, please google the women in Detroit who have recently defended their homes from other Obama voters.

waterytart on March 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Oh, YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Now that’s a “thread winner” … : )

listens2glenn on March 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

So, you’d rather she be robbed, raped or killed than be allowed to defend herself?

I guess you’d also prefer to outlaw cars so a drunk can’t mow down a family on the interstate, right?

Wendya on March 15, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Taught my wife and daughter to use a variety of firearms over the years. The wife is good but my 23 year old daughter is frickin deadly. I pity the fool………

faol on March 15, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Shipley, you old reprobate! When did you get back from your winter holiday in Albania? And how’s your great-grandfather Enver Hoxa doing these days?

For our Hot Gas Noobs here, our intellectually-challenged friend Shipwreck Shipley here is one of the distinguished members of the CQ Under the Bridge Brigade, along with such folks as bayam and sesquipedalian at Ed Morrisey’s Captain’s Quarters, before Ed and the rest of us migrated here.

Del Dolemonte on March 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Oh, and nonintelligent: I just shot off my cap pistol in your honor. Solely designed for killing, you know!

Del Dolemonte on March 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM

What part of “…the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” do you pantywaist libwits not understand? If you really believe yourselves to be in the right, go ahead and call your own article V convention and see what comes of it. I dare you.

gryphon202 on March 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Read this asap http://news.yahoo.com/police-3-attacked-couple-went-wrong-home-182210201.html

Syonpsis: thugs enter home, beat up blind man, sexually assault pregnant wife. Listen folks, evil exists, and it doesn’t discriminate.

If you do not have the means to defend your family, sell your XBox and games and get one (word play on new testament precedence). Then get a few more. If you do not, you are complicit in endangering you and your family.

LaughterJones on March 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM

The real feminist movement in this country over the last generation has been putting guns in womens’ hands and the knowledge of how to use it them their heads.

deepelemblues on March 15, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Crap. You mean they actually came here with Ed?

I always thought they just happened to land here when they fell off the turnip truck.

trigon on March 16, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

And I hang my head because I’d rather not live in a world with dumb keisters like you. I only pray that some young Obama voters gets ahold of you, pistol whips your dumb arse, and puts you in the ICU, maybe then you’ll get a clue. Then again maybe not. You’re a liberal. You have a PhD in Stupid.

307wolverine on March 16, 2014 at 12:52 AM

deepelemblues on March 15, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I am female – (NOT a feminist) My shotgun is loaded at all times…. The gun in the picture is exactly what my son gave me for Christmas – 357 Ruger SP101… He decided that my shotgun wasn’t convenient for carrying out to the garden in case the bears show up and that I would likely do MAJOR damage if I discharged my shotgun inside the house to shoot some scumbag. I had a breakin about 4 years ago- it destroyed my whole sense of security in MY OWN HOME. Shotgun has been loaded ever since. I will NOT be a victim partisan. I have the RIGHT (as well as every other citizen) to protect myself from other people that think they can steal my stuff or do harm to me.

kathyk

kennedyk49 on March 16, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Bravo to Miss Hurd!

One little nit-pick. It’s the Fayetteville Observer. It’s the local paper in Fayetteville NC, home of Fort Bragg and the 82nd Airborne. Their website is “Fayobserver.com,” but it’s just shortened to be easier to find/type in.

Adjoran on March 16, 2014 at 1:25 AM

am I missing something?

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM

….your dick…and your brain!

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I deliver pizza and used to carry but had to sell the gun to pay bills :(

Getting another concealed carry pistol as soon as the IRS returns my money to me!

SgtSVJones on March 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

God, you hoplophobes never get tired of exploiting dead children to further an agenda.

The only people worse than y’all, are the shooters themselves.

soundingboard on March 16, 2014 at 3:12 AM

Was it a non-lethal skeet gun?

BDavis on March 16, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Yay guns!

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

My 1911 gave me another year and 1/2 with my mom. You’re goddamn right- yay guns. There is NOTHING you can ever say that will change my mind.

BillH on March 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM

When is she going to get fired? That’s how all these stories end

Brock Robamney on March 16, 2014 at 7:44 AM

I don’t have a problem with responsible law abiding citizens carrying guns. My problem with the far right conservatives is that they are for any person deemed law abiding carrying a gun. It’s always binary solutions with the far right.

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

BeachBum on March 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

frankly, that’s uncalled for

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM

You have stated in the past that it is acceptable to ‘terminate’ others. Why is it not acceptable for you? I can’t see that you are doing anything worthwhile for society.

zoyclem on March 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

What percentage of the law abiding American public are incapable of safely, responsibly carrying a firearm in public?

Do you believe the “far right” condones people who are neurologically handicapped to carry loaded firearms in public?
Do you believe the “far right” is for unattended eight year old kids carrying loaded firearms in public?

You’ve really got to “qualify” your second sentence better than that.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

You’ve really got to “qualify” your second sentence better than that.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

You’re trying to reason with a nome de stupid of “I am liberal”. You have exceedingly high expectations.

cthemfly on March 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM

the suspects fled and they didn’t get anything.

If it had been me, they would have gotten something alright.

Grammar Nazi on March 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Apparently i_am_illiterate would prefer to have Someone Else decide for him (and us) who is a Responsible Law Abiding Citizen (not just plain ol’ law abiding, which is a quantifiable quality) in order to allow them to carry a gun.

Qustion, i_am_illiterate; who or what would you consider to be Responsible? And what IS Responsible? Why is Responsible so important to you and why do you fear people who are not criminals and not law-enforcement and are not using weapons for evil purposes? How often do law abiding people commit gun crimes? How often do law abiding people defend themselves from crime with a gun? (hint: defensive use of a firearm by the law abiding is well over a million times a year. No statistics on how many are Responsible.)

Law abiding citizens, i.e. those who do not commit crimes and submit to the rule of law, are clearly not capable or worthy of defending themselves against evildoers in i_am_illiterate’s eyes. They must be awarded a Responsible Badge (TM) so that they can be allowed the right to bear arms we big silly far-right conservatives think was endowed to all by our Creator.

I’m guessing law enforcement would be Responsible in i_am_illiterate’s eyes; heaven knows cops have never been known to shoot blindly into crowds, or bust open the wrong doors, or shoot mentally-ill youth who are being held down by 2 other cops. No, indeed, cops are Responsible, as are, ICE agents, EPA flunkies and DHS goons. All qualified to bear arms, all Responsible.

You know, it so odd, but hoplophobes like i_am_illiterate and nonparticipation appear to believe, against all evidence that ordinary people who use firearms are out killing and maiming and accidentally shooting little children day in and day out.

They never have anything but the rare anecdote to support their belief, but with the fiery faith of a snake-handling fundamentalist, they cling to what they Know Is True; Guns Kill! Snakes will not strike if your faith is strong!

amirite, i_am?

Pless1foEngrish on March 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I_am_Liberal, Pless1 has covered the “Responsible” part..Let me add 2 things:
1)”I don’t have any problems with responsible law-abiding citizens carrying guns.”. I think that is just boiler plate, because I bet you DO. I think that line is no different than the Pro-Choice? Abortion Posse who say that “Abortion should be safe, legal & rare.”. Only they never find any way to make it rare… same here. You say it, but the general tone and actions of other “Liberals” say you don’t mean it. Just like Mayors Against Illegal Guns, SOUNDS very nice, but really it’s just Bloomberg and friends (who have armed police escorts) Against Guns.

2) Let’s have a Gendunkenexperiment…lets substitute some words into your “policy.”. “I don’t have any problem with responsible law-abiding citizens (Speaking/voting/Having an Abortion).”. How does THAT sound I_am_Liberal? You comfortable with someone qualifying rights with the word “responsible”? So only RESPONSIBLE people should vote/speak/have an abortion? Betcha you’d have problems with that, but guns are different, right? Though speech has killed, in a certain sense, more people than firearms and certainly at 1.5 million babies a year Abortion has killed more than firearms. Bottom-Line: you let me determine who’s responsible enough to vote or speak, and then we’ll let you and yours determine who’s responsible enough to carry a firearm. DEAL??

JFKY on March 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM

JFKY on March 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Neatly played! A nice flick of the blade to draw just a bit of blood, yes?

Pless1foEngrish on March 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM

My wife & daughter and each of their best friends are in class as I type this to get their CPL/CCW today. I love seeing so many women getting these all over the Country.

Conservative4Ever on March 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It’s weird how the story is so much different than you suggested.

Why is that?

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Sure didn’t take long to kill the thread, eh Tom?

Why is that?

rogerb on March 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Actually it is the 2nd Amendment that guarantees any person to “carry a gun.” That said the only reason is you wrongly conclude conservatives are “far right” is liberals like you are so far left of the center. Conservatives are in the center just like our Founders & Framers of the Constitution. “Far right” individuals are anarchists.

Anyone with any intellectual honesty understands what “far right” really means. That is obviously not you.

Conservative4Ever on March 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

“Guns for me but not for thee.”

The standard liberal declaration when bragging about how “pro Second Amendment” you people are.

Gator Country on March 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

You’ve really got to “qualify” your second sentence better than that.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

C’mon, i_am_liberal . . . . . those questions weren’t that hard.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM

C’mon, i_am_liberal . . . . . those questions weren’t that hard.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM

They are when your knowledge of a topic doesn’t extend past “guns are mean”.

rogerb on March 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

psychocyber on March 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM

What’s a “far right conservative?”

Murphy9 on March 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM

What’s a “far right conservative?”

Murphy9 on March 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Anyone who doesn’t believe it’s OK to eat the remains of aborted toddlers.

CurtZHP on March 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Smells like Open Reg Teen Spirit in here.

Oh, and F-

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Based on similar stories where teachers were armed, we know those kids didn’t need to die. The accurate blame should be laid at the feet of the progressives and the forced “kill zones” they’ve erected around our children.

dominigan on March 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM

What’s a “far right conservative?”

Murphy9 on March 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Someone who’s read the Constitution and understands what it says?

dominigan on March 16, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It’s weird how the story is so much different than you suggested.

Why is that?

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Sure didn’t take long to kill the thread, eh Tom?

Why is that?

rogerb on March 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Tom?

rogerb on March 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Pizza Nazi:
“NO PIZZA FOR YOU! COME BACK 3-5 YEARS!”

Marcola on March 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM

My first thought, as well.

The fact that she didn’t have to discharge the weapon, may be a “saving grace” in the matter … but it sure as blessed HANG shouldn’t HAVE to be.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I think drivers are treated as independent contractors to the extent permitted by law. Pizza drivers speed and kill people with their cars, and they don’t have the benefit of claiming self-defence, yet the pizza business is alive and well.

bbhack on March 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

bbhack on March 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM

They should as “independent contractors”, if that’s what it takes to be allowed to “carry” while on the job.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2014 at 1:56 AM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

You’ve really got to “qualify” your second sentence better than that.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

C’mon, i_am_liberal . . . . . those questions weren’t that hard.

listens2glenn on March 16, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Eighteen (18) hours later . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nuthin’.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It’s weird how the story is so much different than you suggested.

Why is that?

rogerb on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Sure didn’t take long to kill the thread, eh Tom?

Why is that?

rogerb on March 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Tom?

rogerb on March 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM

YOU TOO, TOM’ !
. . . Wimp.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Yay guns!

Tom_Shipley on March 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

BillH on March 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Wassamatter, Tom? Too difficult for a snarky answer?

BillH on March 17, 2014 at 5:58 AM

My only reconized gun free zone is in my shower.

Even then,, it’s close.

wolly4321 on March 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

That’s what spear guns are for. ;)

wearyman on March 17, 2014 at 8:36 AM