Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon

posted at 7:01 pm on March 15, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

This is a small local item, but given the mainstream media’s almost unwavering focus on instances of gun violence without much focus at all on the many more stories of successful (and non-violent!) gun-crime prevention, I thought this was a hoot and an appropriate palate cleanser for a Saturday evening. From the Fay Observer in North Carolina:

Ashley Marie Hurd, 26, a driver for Domino’s Pizza, took the order to a house on the 200 block of Stuart Avenue about 10 p.m., a police report said.

When she arrived, a man was standing outside, and she told him how much the bill was, said Lt. Todd Joyce, Fayetteville police spokesman.

As she was doing so, Joyce said, a second man, wearing a dark-colored jacket, came around from the side of the house.

The man put something to the back of Hurd’s head and demanded money, Joyce said.

“Unbeknownst to them, she had a weapon,” Joyce said. “She pulled out a gun, and when she did, the suspects fled and they didn’t get anything.”

Too good. The guy(s?) probably thought, Hey, here’s a mild young lady I can easily intimidate and/or overpower to make a quick buck (or worse!) — but he (they?) didn’t count on her being responsibly and readily equipped with the equalizing force of a firearm. It warms my heart to no end, not only that concealed carry laws have lately been trending toward greater accessibility across the country, but that women are the fastest-growing demographic taking their self-defense into their own hands. Righteous.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Meow

Bmore on March 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM

HonestLib on March 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Actually, I’m ok with NP posting. It gives us someone to practice on before we engage with strong liberals.

dominigan on March 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM

And if I remember Domino’s corporate policy, she will now be out of a job, since they don’t want their delivery drivers armed. Maybe I am misremembering and they don’t have that policy. Hope that is the case.

MTinMN on March 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I fear she’ll be fired soon … some company policy.

Although she will still be alive … so as to look for other work.

krome on March 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Although she will still be alive … so as to look for other work.

krome on March 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM

And, if I were living my dream right now (doing what I would really like to be doing), I would reach out and hire her immediately. She would fit right in – smart and capable, it sounds like.

GWB on March 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM

…before we engage with strong liberals.

dominigan on March 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Has there been another open registration already?

rogerb on March 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I don’t have a problem with responsible law abiding citizens carrying guns. My problem with the far right conservatives is that they are for any person deemed law abiding carrying a gun. It’s always binary solutions with the far right.

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

So the Bill of Rights should only apply to certain “qualified” individuals?

And, who – exactly – would determine if someone is “qualified” to enjoy full rights as a human being and an American? And what would the standards be, if “law abiding” is not good enough?

You don’t seem to have thought this whole thing out very well…but then, you are a leftist.

Solaratov on March 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

You’re Exhibit A why your mother should’ve taken advantage of planned parenthood.

BeachBum on March 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

frankly, that’s uncalled for

nonpartisan on March 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Would you have denied your own mother her RIGHT to CHOICE?

Typical leftoid drone.

FOAD, hypocrite.

Solaratov on March 17, 2014 at 12:35 PM

…before we engage with strong liberals.

dominigan on March 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM

oxymoron

There aren’t any.

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

So your problem isn’t with responsible law-abiding citizens being armed.

Your problem is you want to redefine “responsible” and “law-abiding” very narrowly, and people aren’t letting you mangle the language so you can claim to be for this; while also making certain almost nobody can actually have a gun?

Yeah, that’s rough, when you work so hard to mangle the language to twist the words so you can claim to be for something while you’re actually against it… tricky.

But given that your way to resolve a problem is to try to redefine common words to mean something new to provide political cover and dishonestly adjust the discussion in the process… yes “i_am_liberal” you are definitely liberal.

I mean your work isn’t as good as “Kinetic Military Action” or “Uncontested Arrival”; but who can compete with that level of dishonesty?

gekkobear on March 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM

i_am_liberal on March 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Unlike most here, some of us regular folk don’t spend all day reading and posting on HA. I would have loved to challenge you all on the gun control thread if I saw those comments that day.

i_am_liberal on March 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Bask in the smrtness of your betters, far right conservatives.

rogerb on March 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Bask in the smrtness of your betters, far right conservatives.

rogerb on March 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM

How’d you do that?
You can still post on a thread that’s 2 days old?
Who’d a thunk it?
Surely not a highly intelligent liberal elitest….

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You can still post on a thread that’s 2 days old?

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Absolutely. If you can find it. (Or bookmark it.)

GWB on March 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM

You can still post on a thread that’s 2 days old?

dentarthurdent on March 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Maybe only if you’re capable of earning more than minimum wage.

rogerb on March 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM

MTinMN on March 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I think you are correct, but dang, if she can’t find a job at least as good as Domino’s delivery person, she’s a lost cause. My guess is she won’t be out of work long.

Laura Castellano on March 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

MTinMN on March 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Laura Castellano on March 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Armored car cash pick-up & delivery ?

listens2glenn on March 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM

People are still able to post in this thread? What the heck? Erika, please fix your website. It’s clearly broken.

rogerb on March 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Bravo. Self Defense is not arming ones self to the gills and going out looking for a fight. It is what it means Defending ones body and person from violence by whatever means desired or available.

Only today there are so many means available to the bad guy/girls while the P.S. crows tries to disarm everyone else, that just having a gun is not the only solution.

My wife (a Korean by birth, American by choice) has 5 Black Belts in Tae Kwan Do, me I only have 3 so she still can whip me without a doubt and she doesn’t have to strike me to get my attention.

However, as a retired G.I. I was able to show her how to handle a weapon (gun) to avoid hand to hand combat if and when necessary. She just loves her Glock 17 and me my Glock 21. For standoff my sniper rifle augments my Winchester lever action 30-30.

To be armed is to be forewarned.

MSGTAS on March 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM