Quotes of the Day

posted at 8:31 pm on March 15, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Russia has vetoed a UN Security Council draft resolution that declared a planned referendum on the status of Ukraine’s Crimea region “can have no validity” and urged nations and international organisations not to recognise it.

“This is a sad and remarkable moment,” Samantha Power, the American ambassador to the United Nations, said after the vote by the 15-member Security Council.

The Russian veto of the draft resolution, drawn up by the United States, was expected. Moscow, which has sent military forces to Crimea, is backing tomorrow’s referendum, which would transfer control of the region from Ukraine to Russia.

***

British Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant said, “The resounding message from today’s vote is that Russia stands isolated in this council, and in the international community.

“Russia alone backs this referendum. Russia alone is prepared to violate international law, disregard the U.N. charter, and tear up its bilateral treaties. This message will be heard well beyond the walls of this chamber.

He appealed to Russia to hear the voice of the international community and engage with the Ukrainian authorities.

***

Moscow, which has sent military forces to the Crimea, is backing today’s referendum, which would transfer control of the region from Ukraine to Russia.

“This annexation … goes beyond Ukraine, it concerns us all,” France’s UN ambassador, Gerard Araud, said in a statement.

This veto must be seen as a defeat only for Russia.”

The brief resolution noted that the referendum was not backed by the Ukrainian government in Kiev.

It called on “all states, international organisations and specialised agencies not to recognise any alteration of the status of Crimea on the basis of this referendum.”

Later, the Russian foreign ministry condemned the draft resolution as another US attempt to interfere in Ukraine.

***

A spokesman for the Ukrainian border guard service, Oleg Slobodyan, told The Associated Press the Russians, about 120 in all, took control of a natural gas distribution station in the village. The Foreign Ministry said the force consisted of about 80 and didn’t mention the station, but said the village was seized.

As Crimea prepares for Sunday’s referendum, dozens of billboards throughout the regional capital proclaim “Together With Russia.” But a few have been hit by spray-painters who scrawled out “Russia” and replaced it with “Ukraine.

***

In an interview on the Ekho Moskvy radio station, Slutsky, head of the Russian parliamentary committee that deals with neighboring countries, said the Kremlin’s handling of the Crimea crisis bolsters “Vladimir Putin’s authority in our country” and is a powerful factor in the “consolidation of our civil society.”

Comments like that lead Mark Galeotti, a New York University professor who is in Moscow, to think that Russia has let its heart take precedence over its head as far as Crimea is concerned. The Kremlin, unusually, is being guided by emotion, he suggested.

“In strategic terms, this is a millstone around the neck,” said Jonathan Eyal, international director of the Royal United Services Institute in London.

***

Russian exports account for about one-third of Europe’s gas consumption and those pipelines run smack through Ukraine. As Mother Jones’ James West points out, “Russia has long been able to use Ukraine as an energy choke point.” On Thursday, Russia’s state-run RIA Novosti news agency reported that authorities in Crimea have been securing offshore gas and oil in the region.

Crimean parliamentary speaker Vladimir Konstantinov reportedly said: “These deposits and the platform fully become the property of the Republic of Crimea…We have guarded them. These are our fields and we will fight for them.”

***

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the vote’s results are all but a foregone conclusion, and urged Russia’s parliament against accepting any offer to claim Crimea as its own.

“We believe that a decision to move forward by Russia to ratify that vote officially within the Duma would, in fact, be a backdoor annexation of Crimea,” Kerry told reporters in London after six hours of talks Friday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called Putin Friday and said afterwards he still thought a diplomatic solution was possible, although it was “clear we are at a crossroads,” AFP reported.

***

PROGRAMMING NOTE: Allahpundit is on vacation special assignment for a bit so the rest of the staff will be pitching in for the evening quotes. Proper order shall be restored to the universe before too long.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

The U.S. Commerce Department announced late Friday it would relinquish control of The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) — the organization charged with managing domain names, assigning Internet protocol addresses and other crucial Web functions — after its current contract expires next year.

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Yeah, some country in this world agency doesn’t like what Hot Air publishes about them – adios hotair.com

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Much to the chagrin of NPR reporters…

Have you seen any violence at the polls in Crimea? – Interviewer

Things seem pretty chipper…most voters want to join Russia – NPR reporter

*silence*

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Thank you Jackie. I’ve been reading your opinions here and there and you know how I feel about you’re writing. I would be so lucky to have your talent to write about politics (and so many other subjects) as you do.

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I must have missed it. When and where could I find it?

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Obama is ushering the new world order in faster than anybody expected isn’t he?

He’s basically deconstructing America at every level.

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM

How do you say back off crazy woman in Russian?

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM

отступить с ума женщину

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Talkin’ About Jesus

novaculus on March 16, 2014 at 8:13 AM

How do you say back off crazy woman in Russian?

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM

отступить с ума женщину

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM

That photo was classic…and nice work on the facepalm graphic…

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Crimea’s Economy Summarized

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Crimea’s Economy Summarized

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Thanks for that.

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 8:19 AM

King Preezy Choom the Magnificent I gives control of the internet to the international community….aaand…

Obama’s Roman Orgy Of Wealth Redistribution Funded On The Backs Of America’s Veterans

The administration plans to cut the military pensions of those who served their country while giving public employees a break by exempting their ObamaCare subsidies from sequestration.

On the heels of announcing that Army troop levels will be cut below pre-World War II levels, the Military Times has reported that the Obama administration is planning to reduce military pension costs by 10% by converting part of their retirement to 401(k)-like defined-contribution plans from defined-benefit plans.

What makes this interesting is that it affects military retirees and members of the military who are non-union and therefore can’t strike or engage in collective bargaining. Public-sector union employees will retain their defined-benefit plans.

So, those who defend this country will be cut while those who feed at the public trough and whose union dues provide a ready supply of campaign cash will not.

To cut the retirement benefits of the military after these genuine heroes have fought with honor and distinction for 13 years in Iraq and Afghanistan is unconscionable. It’s particularly despicable to treat American military retirees worse than other public employees.

President Obama has long defended defined-benefit plans, which, yes, do cost the government more and have pushed some cities and states toward bankruptcy. In a defense of public-sector unions and their benefits, Obama spoke forcefully to the National Governors Association at the White House on Feb. 28, 2011:

“I don’t think it does anybody any good when public employees are denigrated or vilified or their rights are infringed upon.”

That cost-saving measures are to be applied only to the military and not to politically favored groups and programs is seen in the administration’s quiet removal of the cost-sharing subsidies designed to help lower-income people cover some out-of-pocket costs imposed by ObamaCare from its list of programs subject to the sequester, eliminating the 7% cut for 2015…”

Reparations or something….

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM

nice work on the facepalm graphic…

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I can’t take credit for it. I copied it from http://www.asciifacepalm.com/

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Daydream (Prayer)

novaculus on March 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Hey, it is a cool nic.

The 31 threw me as I started thinking the giddyup was a reference to the Ford Mustang, but that came out in 1964 as an early 1965 model. Then I started thinking your nic was a reference to a 31 steel body Ford coup. Then I somehow remember the Chinese New Year…….then I gave up and just asked!

The wife, I am not allowed to say MY wife, is a member here but does not post since our IP addresses would show two different members using them and the software would boot us out a member with two accounts. She set up her account while at another home with a different provider. She does read my posts at night and will send me a text asking…….are your PUI (posting under the influence) again. Almost all my really dumb posts, with the rest just being dumb, have a hidden joke in them to pester the wife. As I have posted before she is way younger than me and likes to crack jokes about my age, thus I poke her back whenever I can. Chuckle.

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Crimea’s Economy Summarized

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Thanks for that.

crankyoldlady on March 16, 2014 at 8:19 AM

You’re welcome.

: )

Putin is protecting his fleet and his southstream pipeline.

Interesting to note…The chairman of GAZPROM dumped all of his shares a shortly before Putin made his move in Crimea.

Apparently he made a tidy profit.

If Putin moves for partition of the Ukraine…He gets the most productive part of the wheat producing regions in the south and southeastern portions and the western Ukraine gets the neglected gas lines and the coal…and Chernoble. China signed a deal to lease farmland on both sides of the Dnieper to grow wheat…Of course that was before things blew up in Kyev.

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Obama Soros is ushering the new world order in faster than anybody expected isn’t he?
workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM

FIFY

wolverinefan on March 16, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Background on Ukraine History…

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I prefer the ice cream reference myself. My favorite at the the 31 flavors shop is peanut butter chocolate. Better than any other brand.

kringeesmom on March 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Crankyoldlady,
Stepped away from the ipad.
The link from Shad’s post didn’t show up in preview.
go to page 4, click on “about this”

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2014 at 11:39 PM

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Pix is worth a 1000 words… and the facepalm graphic is good too.

Powers looks flumoxed.

kringeesmom on March 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Daydream (Prayer)

novaculus on March 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Where’s Nova this morning, my friend? :)

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Sounds like you have a lot of fun around your house and both you and your wife are good sports.
Laughter is the best medicine in life and marriages. : )

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Your adventures with the he/she/it/whatever on your lap… hilarious! I was laughing so hard, my hubs was ready to have me committed.

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I be here.

Where be you?

novaculus on March 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM

workingclass artist on March 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM

My ancestors came from the farming area east of Odessa. The main crop was barley. Someone along the way, (not my relatives) introduced the winter seed they used in the Ukraine, to North Dakota when they immigrated here in the late 1800′s early 1900′s.

Bookmarking your links to read later. Thanks

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Correction, west of Odessa… not east

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM

31giddyup on March 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM

A few days ago I had some dumb post and in it I yapped about Bmore and red pumps. Well, poor Bmore had nothing to do with my mention of red pumps. The story behind that remark is…………………….Many moons ago I went to a Christmas dinner hosted by my wife’s boss. The boss was the owner and as usual his wife was there. She got drunk and went on and on about how bad capitalism is and how much better we would all be under Marxism or something…….straight from the Frankfurt School and their teaching on critical theory. Poke me in the eye with a stick at this point in the evening as they were worth over 100m back when a 100m was worth something!

She also had a habit of taking her shoes off and yep, I was able to nic her red pumps and tossed them in the bin in the men’s loo. She went nuts, but never knew what became of her little red pumps. The wife still gets a chuckle every time she sees a pair of red pumps.

Finally, I must point out I was rubber legged also and was feeding the ole’ gal white wine all evening.

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 9:36 AM

BLessed Sabbath, Patriots! And, Trolls.

My Take. “A Heritage of Love 2014″

kingsjester on March 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I be here.

Where be you?

novaculus on March 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Here’s good.

I’d rather be there, though. My instinctive self-preservation tells me that attitude’s messed up somehow. But it’s true. And the truth is also important.

I think.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Back from Bourbon country. Uneventful trip, best kind. ; ) Starting my day off.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM

That’s an excellent way to start the day.

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Yep. Goes well with blurry eyes and coffee. ; )

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM

You should see your house. But I’ll never tell who did it.

kringeesmom on March 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Flora Duh on March 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Or that’s what they will tell us.

Cindy Munford on March 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM

kringeesmom on March 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM

The funniest part is. That’s my neighbors house. I’m farther back on the lane. Man o’Man is she gonna be pissed.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Speak of the devill.

SparkPlug Moon age 15 days 99%

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Cindy Munford may or may not have been involved.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I deliberately protected you from prison.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Why thank you Axe, I wouldn’t do well in the joint.

btw..it’s brunch O’clock!

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Why thank you Axe, I wouldn’t do well in the joint.

btw..it’s brunch O’clock!

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Frak. Sophie’s breakfast.

I’m boned.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM

No yard work today. Inch and a half so far and heavy rain yet to come. The wife is slow cooking a Boston Butt on her smoker and she is laughing at me cause I don’t eat pork. Beer in about 22 minutes.

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM

b9 pulled a SoRo. I like this brunch o’clock deal.

boned?? lol

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM

cause I don’t eat pork
HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM

SINNER!

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Try some coot.

Looks cold and wet.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM

As some of you are aware, Schadenfreude requested(as he often does) that I do a piece on Michelle Obama and lobster. I did, (click my nom), Schadenfreude wasn’t satisfied with my attempt. He’s killing me you know? Anyway, in an attempt to do one he might find more satisfactory I have had the pleasure of looking through far too many pictures of Michelle. I have made an observation. Undoubtedly Michelle is one of the proudest afro-americans you’ll find. So here is my observation. Why do the folks publishing the photos of her lighten her up so much? Michelle is what they call in the biz a full stopper. Great dark skin. She is full afro-american to the best of my knowledge. Why the Michael Jackson treatment then? Just strikes me as odd. Sometimes they have her so light I am actually having to go and make masks to darken her back up to her normal appearance. Any ideas as to why?

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

boned?? lol

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Kiss the small of her back, playfully slap her ass with a rolled up newspaper, and tell her to get out of bed; make her breakfast — tell her secret stuff — and go run my billion dollar software empire until she calls at lunch to tell me where we’re gonna eat or why 50% off Louboutin’s means we’ll just catch up tonight (or even tomorrow — it’s 50%).

Nice plan, right? :)

I have a plan B, in case she ditches me for a member of the Royal Family or whatever, but it involves trying to fill the void with lap-dances — but — I was always a terrible lap-dancer, what with not being a hot blonde woman to begin with, and with not being very flexible anyway.

C involves barrels of gunpowder and Parliament. I don’t like to think about it. No shoes, lunches, breakfasts, or newspapers at all, and no billion dollar software empire. Total MEH.

Anyway, having plans is good. :) . . . even with the occasional bad dream trying to harsh your mellow.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Weird.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I lied. I started drinking beer at 1145 so that should mean something! She also is smoking a 5 pound slab of bacon for her world famous homemade baked beans. Guess it will be grain hops for me today.

Bmore, the legs and feet of the coot on top of the nest gave me a chuckle. In a good nature way, so to speak. I can’t wait till summer, cause my garage is an aviary right now and the African Greys are yapping non-stop in the morning and evenings with approaching spring. For some reason…..they cuss a lot?

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM

b9 pulled a SoRo. I like this brunch o’clock deal.

boned?? lol

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM

That girl gets up early now, though. Since Cabo.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM

It is. They only do it in print. Video is much tougher to adjust.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 12:10 PM

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Rutting season. Lolz!

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Now, thats my kinda woman! =)

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM

You’re such a nut.

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM

You’re such a nut.

bazil9 on March 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM

glad I kept D to myself

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Have no idea what she’s doing all day. Writing another book? Running her billion dollar law office? Filing briefs for an upcoming Supreme Court case? Managing her sites? There’s nothing she can’t do.

It’s very exciting. K, I’ll quit spamming.

– but, it’s very exciting. Cut me some slack.

Axe on March 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Any ideas as to why?

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Because they are racists.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

All I could come up with as well. ; ) Hey I’m burned out on this lobster thingy. I’m going with the one linked on my nom. I tried to pull one other. Not good. ; )

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

ha, ha, ha! I like the one with the bib better.

Perhaps it’s the lighting that accounts for the different skin tones. Outdoor/Indoor?
I recall Oprah saying that black skin was very difficult to light right for TV and such.

kringeesmom on March 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Bmore, keep both.

None are insulting enough :)

You’re the greatest! Don’t spend time you don’t have, ever.

Thanks for all.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM

You’re the greatest! Don’t spend time you don’t have, ever.

Thanks for all.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Pah, I once asked Bmore to give me the time of day and he told me to sit on me hands and buy a sundial from Del.

HonestLib on March 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Thanks for all.

Schadenfreude on March 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Well, maybe I’ll have another swing at it should the inspiration hit. Not sure why exactly, but I have this strange urge to do one of her in red pumps. Oddest dang thing. ; )

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Bishop will never read this.

Bmore on March 16, 2014 at 5:37 PM