Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes

posted at 4:01 pm on March 15, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Chris Christie has repeatedly said that he’s not interested in talking about a presidential run and is busy running affairs in New Jersey. Judging by some of the most recent news I’ll have to take him at his word, since he’s apparently not going out of his way to court conservatives. As people have been going through the Governor’s most recent budget, it was noted that the latest plan calls for hiking taxes on e-cigarettes up to the level of traditional tobacco smokes. I, for one, certainly didn’t see this one coming.

A proposed new tax on electronic cigarettes was the burning topic today at the first legislative committee meeting of the state budget season.

Gov. Chris Christie’s budget proposal, delivered last month, suggests raising taxes on the “e-cigarettes” to the regular rate for cigarettes — which is $2.70 per pack — saying they’re “unregulated and subject to standard State sales taxes only.”

But at the state Assembly Budget Committee’s meeting today at Montclair State University, Steven Clark — a Union City resident who said he quit smoking regular cigarettes a year ago thanks to e-cigarettes that provide nicotine through liquid vapor instead of smoke — called the idea of raising taxes on them “reckless and harmful.”

“Electronic cigarettes have the potential to make smoking obsolete within a generation,” Clark said. “With the right combination of tailored regulation and cost-incentives, e-cigs might end smoking as we know it.”

Imposing more sin taxes of any kind to fill the state’s coffers under the guise of altering people’s behavior isn’t exactly conservative doctrine, but this move is particularly questionable. (Full disclosure: I’m smoking an e-cig as I type this.)

Leaving aside the entire question of raising taxes for a moment, I’d like to hear Governor Christie’s rationale for this and what purpose he expects to achieve. Numerous experts – including one former Surgeon General – have come out in support of e-cigarettes as an effective tool for quitting smoking. I personally know three people who have managed to entirely quit tobacco for six months or more by making the switch. Is it possible that the nicotine vapor has adverse health effects? I suppose so, but we know for a fact that tobacco is bad for you. Why would you discourage something which is already showing results above and beyond that of nicotine patches or gum?

This also just looks bad in terms of political bedfellows. There have been persistent reports that one of the biggest opponents to e-cigarettes is the pharmaceutical industry, possibly because the vapor cigarettes cut into their very lucrative market for gum and patches. Anyone with an eye on their future electoral chances should probably think twice before they’re seen as being in bed with Big Pharma. Plus, as we’ve discussed here in relation to many states where high sin taxes have been imposed, the Garden State is already dealing with their own black market for smuggled cigarettes. Higher taxes simply swell the incentive for people to side-step the laws to save (or make) money. Why would this not happen with e-cigs as well?

This is a bad move by Christie an he should rethink this one. Quickly.

Comments

Rent seeking.

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM

well how would they do this?
you don’t purchase like you do a pack of smokes.
they going to tax the juice?
the atomizers?
the battery?

dmacleo on March 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM

…saying they’re “unregulated and subject to standard State sales taxes only.”

Unregulated! How scandalous, how intolerable! We can’t have unregulated anything in this world anymore. Must regulate. Must tax. Must validate our supreme importance as Lords of all social existence and must ceaselessly drain taxpayers of every available penny to sustain our empire!

Go to hell.

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM

they going to tax the juice?
the atomizers?
the battery?

dmacleo on March 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM

The refill cartridges and, since the manufacturers claim that each one is the equivalent of two packs of cigarettes, I guess Christie will slap a $5.40 tax on each one.

Man, I hate pols like Krispy Kreme.

BTW, I bet he opposes a fat tax.

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Why doesn’t he do the same with lingerie?

Skywise on March 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I was born into a family of smokers.Both parents,every uncle and aunt.Nothing was said when I started smoking.E-cigs freed me 4 years ago.Tried the patches,gum,and pills.Nothing worked until E-cigs came along.The nicotine in them is less than the patches and gum.I can now smell a real cig from 20 feet.Gross odor and I am constantly wanting to apologize to anyone I smoked around all those years.This is the best tool for anyone that wants to quit bar none.You can smoke without smoking.It only took me 2 weeks to adjust and now I am free

docflash on March 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Still waiting for a tax on fat man pants. That would encourage people to get in shape, which would reduce the health care burden on us all, right Gov. Chris Farley, I mean Christie?

notropis on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

…saying they’re “unregulated and subject to standard State sales taxes only.”

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Well said. If there were any question as to what Christie is all about, this makes it clear that he is all about government controlling everything.

I am starting to wonder if Christie might be a worse President than Obama for those concerned with preservation of individual liberties and freedoms. With Obama, at least the Republicans in the legislature put up a little resistance. With Christie as a Republican President they might just go along with him and give us a replacement for Obamacare that is worse than what we have now.

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

docflash on March 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Which means you are going to live longer and thus be a burden on the medicare and social security programs. Big government types want you to die early.

rbj on March 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I thought the purpose of cigarette taxes was to discourage people from the harmful habit of smoking. Well, vaping is not smoking so where does he get off jacking up the taxes on a harmless activity? Oh yeah…

Grammar Nazi on March 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Probably the only self-described conservative that will consider turning away from Christie because of this is Jazz Shaw. The rest of us already figured him out a long time ago.

chris0christies0donut on March 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Plus, he would be exactly like McCain and save his most vicious attacks for conservatives and libertarians while ‘reaching across the aisle’ to work with loons like Elizabeth Warren and Barbara Boxer. Bipartisanship, ya know?

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM

“If it Moves, Tax it. If it Keeps Moving, Regulate it. And if it Stops Moving, Subsidize it.”

majorzot on March 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM

This fat bastard is on my last nerve. I saw the greatest man I have ever had the honor of knowing die a horrible death because he had smoked for years. All this idiot sees is another opportunity to reach out with his fat, sausage fingers and grab another dollar.

V7_Sport on March 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Add this to giving the boot to Tesla because they weren’t letting the dealership owners get their beaks wet after they paid good money to buy legilation prohibiting direct sales of cars to the citizens of New Jersey. No free market economics small government advocate here.

KW64 on March 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM

BTW, I bet he opposes a fat tax.

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

You don’t have to bet on anything. He opposed it twice before his governorship, while he and Steve Lonegan were butting heads in the legislature.

gryphon202 on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Christie jacking …

Enough said.

Pork-Chop on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

No, nothing is as bad as what we have.

V7_Sport on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

This is a bad move by Christie an he should rethink this one. Quickly.

In order to rethink, you must have first thought. Lefties like Christie operate on emotion, greed and lust for controlling other people’s lives. Rational thought does not enter into it.

Fenris on March 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

No, nothing is as bad as what we have.

V7_Sport on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

If you’re really worried about preservation of individual freedom, quit flogging yourself at the ballot box and start thinking about nullification. Politicians ain’t gonna fix what politicians broke.

gryphon202 on March 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM

docflash on March 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM

But more importantly, they can’t tax web sales. I get my equipment from Canada. Except for the juice which I get locally. If the price were to rise because of taxes, I’d buy through the net.

Christie’s best bet is to try having the nicotine juice classified as a controlled substance. Then they’ll have to do the same to propyl glycol. Then vegetable glycerine. Yeah. Good luck with all that.

Lanceman on March 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM

No, nothing is as bad as what we have.

V7_Sport on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Don’t tempt fate. Get a lefty Republican politician in there and the Republicans in Congress don’t even have to pretend to have conservative leanings. It’s happened before, it can happen again.

Fenris on March 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

very few use a refill cartridge.
even a lot of the cheaper “starter” types don’t. really the only ones that do are disposables.
so only some brands would get taxed while others not would be the result.
and I would not be surprised to see tons of money wasted in court costs and related from that.

+ there are non-nicotine ones that are exactly the same except for that one difference. and that can be changed back and forth as wanted too, just pour from a different bottle. so are they going to tax the nicotine or the action of holding what looks like a cigarette. its the action they are taxing.
damned idiots.

dmacleo on March 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Fenris on March 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Exactly.

Check this out…

Learning the ABCs: Have You Ever Wondered Who Gave You A Federal Agency?

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM

BTW, I bet he opposes a fat tax.

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

gryphon202 on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Whoops. I misunderstood. I thought you said flat tax. Lonegan drafted a bill, and co-sponsored another, to flatten the New Jersey marginal tax rates. They both went down in flames.

gryphon202 on March 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Good writeup from Jazz.

Chris Christie is a pro-illegal alien amnesty, tax-hiking, sharia-defending fraud.

bluegill on March 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM

CC says and does a lot of good things and then he says and does a lot of boneheaded things. The Tesla deal and this are the latter.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM

A good list. I was thinking of Nixon’s wage and price controls and Bush’s expansion of Medicare and Head Start.

Fenris on March 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Learning the ABCs: Have You Ever Wondered Who Gave You A Federal Agency?

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM

W. only gave us one really bad one.

Lanceman on March 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Woke up from my 20 year coma and the family was so happy. I just happened to get on this thing called the internet and up popped HotAir and this article. Geez, I was happier in my coma. These politicians need to bugger off and leave the good folks alone. Me, going back into my coma thank you.

HonestLib on March 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

You’ve hit on exactly why so many of us have had it with RINO’s. When you win with a RINO, you still lose. Lot’s of people do not understand this.

trigon on March 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM

It’s almost like he’s some kind of statist or something.

but that can’t be: Ann Coulter swore he was our only hope!

Kensington on March 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

New Jersey: if it moves or sits still, tax it.

Galtian on March 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM

As one who does not want to see Christie anywhere near the oval office, I hope he keeps on doing what he is doing– adding nail after nail after nail on his political coffin. Hammer away governor!

KickandSwimMom on March 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I’m so sick of being called a “purist” if I oppose Chris Christie. Purist? Give me ONE issue – just one – that proves he is conservative in any way.

TarheelBen on March 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM

sigh***I was one that thought Christie to be a rock star a few years back. E-Cigs helped me quit smoking and I have never felt better. I will NEVER vote for that idiot….EVER.

Saints on March 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Rent seeking.

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Yep!

workingclass artist on March 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

The backlash against e-cigs proves the anti-tobacco hysteria wasn’t about people’s health at all. It was about money and control.

If Krispy Kreme wants to tax e-cigs, I propose the govt weigh people and tax them $100 for every pound above their ideal weight. For people at Christie’s income level, it should be $1000.

DRayRaven on March 15, 2014 at 5:27 PM

He and others wanting to tax e-cigs are making up from lost cigarette revenue. In addition, they’re getting out in front of the upcoming wave of e-pot (i.e. vaporized marijuana).

Ruckus_Tom on March 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I’m 1 week away from being 2 years cigarette free. After having smoked 1.5 packs a day for 35 years. e-cigs did it for me.

The financial benefits are even more immediately tangible than the health benefits, which may be part of the issue.

Nothing bothers a politician more than a man with a few extra bucks in his pocket.

Oxymoron on March 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM

The patches and gum did nothing for be, except I got hiccups from the gum. I started the Nicotrol inhalers, and got off and stayed off tobacco after smoking for 30 years. I sucked on that last inhaler for 3 days, but after I put it down that was it.

Christie is just a fat, greedy gangster hurting people for a few dollars. Is he better than Obama? Hard to say.

claudius on March 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Shouldn’t the fat man be taxing Big Macs?

Exninja on March 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Shop online or cross a border. Maybe Delaware and PA don’t tax e-cigs – YET. I think there was discussion of taxing them in PA.

Philly on March 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM

FLASH: Rand Paul wins Northeast Republican Leadership Conference Presidential Straw Poll… Developing…

The heads of Chris Christie and Pete King seen exploding.

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 6:09 PM

…up the tax…on doughnuts instead!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Actually, it is akin to implementing a tax on gastro surgery to lose weight or a fitness trainer or all diet programs…it is a stupid idea and he should be forced to explain the rationale.

Saints on March 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Um, Clark, didn’t you get the memo? New Jersey isn’t in the business of getting people to quit smoking. Do you realize that smoking is a cash cow for the state? They don’t want you to stop smoking. They want to make it as expensive as possible for you to quit.

timberline on March 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Saints on March 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM

… in order to make up for revenue lost on soda taxes.

Count to 10 on March 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I’m so sick of being called a “purist”

TarheelBen

I love it when people play the purist card. It means they’re losing the argument, lol.

xblade on March 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Go to hell.

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Let’s see how well the government regulates when the Revolution comes.

ConstantineXI on March 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

… in order to make up for revenue lost on soda taxes.

Count to 10 on March 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

They are also wanting to put tracking devices on our cars so they can do a mileage tax to make up for all that revenue they are losing because of more fuel efficient cars.

Just as there is no right to profit in the private sector, there is no right to REVENUE in the public sector.

ConstantineXI on March 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Governor LardAss : Gotta make the media love me again…..gotta make the media love me again…..gotta….

cableguy615 on March 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM

timberline on March 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I know that I have personally deprived the Fed and my state of thousands of dollars in tax revenue for the last 4 years since I quit….. using an ecig. Multiply that by say, a half a million people and you’re talking about a substantial amount of tax revenue.

Wendya on March 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

After a 35+ year habit, I’ve been tobacco free for 7 weeks… thanks to vaping. My smoker’s cough is gone, along with the throat-clearing and lung-wheezing.

Chris Christie doesn’t give a rat’s hind leg about public health. Because if he did, there’s no way he’d be advocating for making it harder to quit smoking. He’s just like every other sin-taxing politician out there, just out to squeeze the public for a little more dough.

What really shames me is that when Christie first came onto the scene, I liked him. I was truly fooled. But there’s no difference between him and any damned Democrat at this point.

Murf76 on March 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Christie is a democrat, the left is desperate to jack this guy up but the the conservatives are not falling for it. The squishy moderates must be pulled back to the right. They are the problem, not the conservatives.

redguy on March 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM

What’s amazing to me is that after the MASSIVE failure of Obamacare and Democrats in disgrace, the GOP seems determined to screw up any chance of beating them in the next two elections.

Murf76 on March 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Washington the state is trying to do similarly, with a 95% tax Proposed. Frackin crazy and looks like another attempt to steal from regular people who are pressed to pay the salaries of those who would Over-Lord the rest of us.

Turnabout is fairplay…

KissMyAmericanFlag on March 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Learning the ABCs: Have You Ever Wondered Who Gave You A Federal Agency?

Resist We Much on March 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Apparently after FDR it was, “all bets are off, we own you.”

Good to have you back ma’am. Was concerned when you dropped off the radar in Nov. Apparently you didn’t crash and burn. ;)

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

My peeve on Ecigs is when they ban them from places that prohibit smoking. I’M NOT SMOKING!

If you live in such a place, MOVE. Nothing good is happening there.

Who is John Galt on March 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Christie was long touted (by the media) as the Republicans best, brightest hope to win the Presidency. He was held up (again, by the medis) as the silver bullet to kill the werewolf who is Hilary Clinton…who (again, in the media) seems to be the “gold standard” of modern presidential candidates.

Then, the media tore him down…over nothing….

Remember this about politicians, particularly those claiming conservative or traditional credentials:

1) Nixon was a “conservative” whom the media HATED, and yet he ended the Vietnam War, set up the EPA, and set up national “wage and price controls”, a socialist program if ever there was one.

2) The Younger Mr. Bush was a “conservative” (a “compassionate conservative”, remember), who is responsible for the largest entitlement enlargement since the Great Society.

3) Schwarzenegger was a “conservative”, and…well….

…wait until a conservative who’s actually conservative (i.e., doesn’t use the federal checkbook like a drunken fratboy uses his parents filched credit cards) and traditional (i.e., actually thinks that collectivist government is wrong) comes along…don’t wishfully think some northeastern establishment pol is conservative simply because he has an (R) after his name on camera.

…after all, Nelson Rockefeller (a self-professed Keynesian), Colin Powell, EPA administrator Christine Todd Whitman, and, prior to 2007, Lincoln Chafee were all Republicans.

It may be the “party of Lincoln”…but it ain’t my party…elect the person, not the initial after their name.

Puritan1648 on March 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM

After a 35+ year habit, I’ve been tobacco free for 7 weeks… thanks to vaping.

Murf76

claudius

docflash

Sincere and warmly-felt kudos to you guys, and all you others here and/or your family members who’re tobacco free. I was raised in a family of smokers…and never took up the habit. Years as a kid, eyes stinging and lungs afire, driving long vacation jaunts to see family, both Mom and Dad filling the car with smoke, taught me that nothing that smells that bad could taste good.

I did take up a passive cigar habit (1-2 stogies a month, then years without a cigar, followed by 1-2 stogies a year), but it’s now put to bed. I can vape, and I can vape now INDOORS, watching TV…and the kids still at home walk into a plume of vapor and ask what flavor I’m vaping…take a deep whiff, and smile. “Banana…ah!”

I vape nicotine-free. I’m a diabetic, and nicotine can do a damn-damn on your blood sugar levels. So, I just make make clouds of banana or berry or root beer or cinnamon or citrus juice. It’s like sucking on vaporized Cool-Aid. That, and the liquid medium, the basis of the e-juice, has (to my researches) no glycemic impact.

Diabetics are told that they can keep up their old snacking habits…only, instead of chocolate or pastry, candy or other tasties, they can have nuts. “You can have nuts”, the doctor said, as if that was some sort of consolation.

I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE nuts…all the more now….

So, once deprived of sweet treats, I have sweet vapor…nic-free, guilt-free, impact-free…but, not, if Mr. Christie, the would-be champion of the little guy, tax-free…if he has anything to say about it.

The only essential difference between the Obama Administration and any Christie Establishment Republican Administration: the pace at which they’ll tax and spend…and the weight-bearing limit engineering requirements of the Oval Office swivel chair.

Puritan1648 on March 15, 2014 at 11:13 PM

GrubRmint is concerned with one thing…… Power…. keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.

Fat POS

roflmmfao

donabernathy on March 16, 2014 at 12:56 AM

And just think, this is Ann Coulter’s and Karl Rove’s choice for President

Brock Robamney on March 16, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Well he’s got to do something to make up for the property tax reduction. I kid.

ctmom on March 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Jazz, I have often criticized you. But you rock for smoking an e-cig! I have never smoked, but those things are lifesavers for folks who do.

This proves this is not about health. Its about taxes. But I wouldn’t beg Christie to back off of this. It just shows that he is unworthy of any other office that lies outside of the state of NJ. Let him run for Senator. I don’t agree with him on a lot, but we need a bull like him in the senate. Yes, he’ll do the RIno voting thing, but you won’t get much better than that from NJ.

deadite on March 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM

NJ is just too corrupt a state to trust its governor Christi.

He presides over this

Double-Dipping Pensioners Bleeding NJ Dry

And he wants to raise taxes?

Chessplayer on March 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM

As an ex-smoker, I have always believed that the Government “Anti Smoker” laws were dishonest…. They may have wanted people to stop smoking cigarrettes, but we were all supposed to keep buying them!

las3000 on March 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM

las3000 on March 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Most government laws are dishonest; it comes out of a need for rent seeking and trying to please too many different interests at the same time. The same government agencies that took billions from the tobacco industries used the same money to promote tobacco: because it’s a large and reliable tax revenue source.
It would seem that the government’s addiction is stronger than the smokers; i.e. the need to tax e-cigs.

mad scientist on March 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes

Thought only Dems raised taxes? /s

Seems that one party are the Menshevik taxers and spenders while the other is the worse Bolshevik taxers and spenders.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM

How can anyone take this guy seriously as a Republican, much less think of him as a conservative. He’s a mainstream Democrat, circa 1995.

Jaibones on March 16, 2014 at 1:08 PM

We must stop smoking, so we’re raising taxes on it.
It’s for the good of the health of our citizens.

We must make more money, so we’re raising taxes on what people are using to stop smoking.
It’s for the good of the government coffers.

I guess health of the citizens isn’t the most important thing to our leaders after all. Something to remember (if you ever forgot).

gekkobear on March 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM

<blockquote“With the right combination of tailored regulation and cost-incentives, e-cigs might end smoking as we know it.”

The right combination of regulation and (government imposed) cost incentives is precisely zero of either. Conservatism and Principled Radical Capitalism seem to be two separate ideas. I will have to look elsewhere for an advocate for true, un-compromised liberty: which can only mean Laissez-Faire Capitalism.

WyattsTorch on March 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM

s1im on March 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

No, nothing is as bad as what we have.

V7_Sport on March 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

It’s not as though Obama would not try to worse, but the situation we have now somewhat tempers his ability to go into full-tyrant mode. Executive orders can do only so much, and he is careful to calculate how much the courts, legislators, and people of both parties will tolerate.

But if Christie gets in the White House with Republican majorities in both houses of Congress, I look at stuff like this, and have to ask: What limits would there be on his administration’s exercising power? Would it be much different from Obama in 2009-2010?

There would be some ‘extreme radicals’ like Ted Cruz who would speak out and not go along with power-grabs, but current evidence shows the ‘mainstream’ Republicans would brand him a traitor to the party for not going along with ‘his President’ and the party ‘leadership’.

I am from Texas and am proud to say I voted for Cruz, and that I did not vote for that other Senator from Texas (he who must not be named) in the primary this year. I did not elect Ted Cruz to go along with the Republican leadership. I voted for him to keep his word and represent the people of Texas. It is really gratifying to see a politician I voted for keep his word to the voters who elected him. It is a refreshing change.

s1im on March 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM