Bobby Jindal hits the trail in New Hampshire

posted at 8:31 am on March 15, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

I’m up in New Hampshire this weekend, attending the 2014 Northeast Republican Leadership Conference, and thus far it’s been pretty rocking event. One of many dignitaries appearing at the gathering is Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, who has been hitting multiple events here, ranging from a St. Patrick’s day themed breakfast, a cocktail reception and a speaking engagement at dinner. Is he planning a run at the White House? Like every other potential candidate at this point, he’s not coming straight out and saying it, but he certainly has the look. (And why else do you come to New Hampshire?)

I got the chance to talk to the Governor for a bit myself and really enjoyed his dinner speech. One thing I noticed right away is that Jindal seems a lot more comfortable speaking away from his home turf than some of his appearances from a few years ago. He was confident, poised, seemingly at ease with the crowds and demonstrated a great sense of humor. This was evident at the aforementioned breakfast and the media was taking note of it.

From the first line of his speech to the Wild Irish Breakfast in Nashua, New Hampshire on Friday (March 14) morning, Gov. Bobby Jindal has the crowd in stitches.

“I would like to start this morning by congratulating the genius who invited me to speak at a St. Patty’s day event,” Jindal, an Indian-American, said to raucous laughter. “Let me suggest that a quick Google image search would reveal that I’m not Irish. Worse than that I don’t even drink. I am Catholic so we’ll hope that counts for something.”

Jindal continued to draw big laughs from the assembled crowd of businesspeople, policymakers and local politicians, joking about former Gov. Edwin Edwards, Louisianians’ penchant for hunting and even rumors of his intention to run for the White House in 2016.

“A lot of people are asking me if I intend to run for president in 2016. The answer is I have no plans at this time to run. I’ve made that clear. And I will come here again and again to the state of New Hampshire to say that over and over,” said Jindal.

During dinner, Jindal spent a lot of time talking about education in a far more serious tone, and the crowd was completely behind him, interrupting the Governor with standing ovations multiple times during his remarks. He touched on the glaring difference between conservative states and liberal ones when it comes to options in education. (It’s rather funny that Democrats are all about “choice” until you mention schools, isn’t it?) He was able to speak to the subject by relating it to his own experiences, being particularly grateful for the choices available to him in getting a good American education and the opportunities it afforded him and his family.

I should have some more hits with other speakers later this weekend, and there is plenty going on. I’ve had the chance to speak with a number of the state party officials, and thus far they all live up to the feisty, independent attitude that New Hampshire Republicans are famous for. They’ve also been exceedingly courteous to their visitors and seem ready to jump right back into the political mix. But we’ll have more on that later.

Comments

I could vote for him.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM

And why else do you come to New Hampshire?

To eat clam chowder with people more rational than those in Massachusetts?

Stoic Patriot on March 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM

And why else do you come to New Hampshire?

For some snow? It’s not like we in the mid-west have been inundated with snow this winter.

rbj on March 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM

To eat clam chowder with people more rational than those in Massachusetts?

Stoic Patriot on March 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I don’t suppose there is much clam chowder in Louisiana.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Go BJ!

mjbrooks3 on March 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM

To eat clam chowder?

Pfft. To teach them how to make gumbo.

M240H on March 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I like Jindal. I don’t know if he’s my guy but he’s another one that I hope will be in the race.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM

He says all the right things.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Say it ain’t so, Bobby.

The real Irish don’t take kindly to that “Patty’s” nonsense.

corona79 on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

It would be awesome to see Hillary get beat again by a brown-skinned man.

M240H on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

This is an entertainment event. Think about it, which one of these lightweights can go toe to toe with the soon to be first female president? Best I see the republicans doing is winning the senate by a slim majority that won’t dent any Obama agenda only to lose it again in 2016.

i_am_liberal on March 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM

i_am_liberal on March 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM

That is the challenge. Not that Shrillery is a good candidate. She is abrasive and gawd awful with a history of corruption, scandal and incompetence. But she is a girl and now that we’ve had our schwartze in the WH the media will be trying to push a girl on us.

MJBrutus on March 15, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Hey, You_are_retarded, what’s Hillary’s position on Obamcare? Just curious ‘cuz all those mandate deferrals are going to expire just as her campaign is gearing up.

Or did you not notice Obuggerme’s parting gift to his good friend?

M240H on March 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Now if he just had a television persona (a good one), he might have a shot. He will have a hard time going up against the big personality guys (and gal).

huckleberryfriend on March 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Forget it Bobby. You’re a swell guy but it isn’t going to happen. Save your money.

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM

“”not ready for prime time” jindal.

renalin on March 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I’m sure the same thing was said to an unknown named Carter from a low-population state.
I’m sure the same thing was said to an unknown named Clinton from a lower-population state.
This time a good-guy will fool the “experts.”

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM

No one has a more impressive record of conservative, executive accomplishments than Jindal.

No one outside of D.C. has gone toe-to-toe against Obama more than Jindal.

No one has turned a more blue state red than Jindal.

And isn’t it about time we nominated someone who’s not old & White?
Not that being old & White is bad (I’ll be that in a few years).
But politically, it’s about time.

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM

huckleberryfriend on March 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

You obviously haven’t seen him face tough reporters in interviews.
Jindal has an articulate command of a vast array of facts & figures.

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM

i_am_liberal on March 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I live in a fairly white area. In 2008, I saw more blacks my local polling place than I thought lived in the whole county. I’m convinced that’s what got Obama elected, blacks who would not normally vote coming out to vote.

I think your side makes a mistake when it assumes that will be the case with women. Women will be a lot more discerning and Hillary will not get their vote simply because she is a female the way Obama got the black vote because he was black.

Grammar Nazi on March 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Scott Walker does. Not a single candidate can make the claims Scott Walker can. I’m not even a Walker supporter but if we’re talking “street” criteria, in this age of the ruthless and ascendant Left no potential Republican candidate comes close to Walker. He has taken them on at their fiercest, in their home turf, and not only won but pushed their noses into the dirt.

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Jindal is just another Bush. A liberal who in masked by conservative clothing.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on March 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Hmm, go to the conference and listen to a bunch of politicians or go to the gun show off Exit 1 at the Radisson? Decisions, decisions.

Gun show is cheaper. :D

Yes, I’m in Nashua about 10 minutes from either event.

evilned on March 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I don’t suppose there is much clam chowder in Louisiana.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Because gumbo is better.

kringeesmom on March 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I could vote for him.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM

…everybody looks good right now!…look what we got now!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM

The lesson of Obama is charisma is needed to win. Jindal doesn’t have it.

LashRambo on March 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I really like Bobby Jindal! Strong leadership. Supports states’ rights. Education reform. Increasing employment via means of energy development. Healthcare policy experience. Constitutional scholar.

lineholder on March 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM

The lesson of Obama is charisma is needed to win. Jindal doesn’t have it.

LashRambo on March 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM

You’re half-right. Obama doesn’t have it. He just hit the leftist sweet spot. But a Republican absolutely needs it to overcome the crippling handicap of being a Republican in the Progressive media culture.

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM

The lesson of Obama is charisma is needed to win. Jindal doesn’t have it.

LashRambo on March 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Hillary is in trouble then too. Let’s see if I can drum up some sympathy for her…… nope, nope, nope.

31giddyup on March 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM

lineholder on March 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I could vote for him. He could be our “Silent Cal”… maybe just what we need to roll back some of the metastasis of gov agencies. I think both he and Perry would make an effort to trim a few alphabets.

jffree1 on March 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM

lineholder on March 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I love Jindal. But then, my picks rarely do well. Got to be realistic about it.

LashRambo on March 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

The hurdles are great for Republicans. Not only do we need a candidate who is articulate and willing to stick to his/her principles, that person has to overcome:
- A hostile MSM
- Being labeled anti-woman (if running against the Hildebeast)
- Phony Tea Party and Libertarian candidates that siphon off votes
- Voter fraud
- Left-wing indoctrination of college-age, voting students

AND if the candidate is a Conservative, he/she also needs to battle the GOP establishment.

SheVee on March 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

The real Irish don’t take kindly to that “Patty’s” nonsense.

corona79 on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Pardon me, but I believe that should be “Paddy’s” nonsense…

oldleprechaun on March 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM

He’d make a very good HHS secretary. He knows the most about healthcare, in addition to Dr. Carson.

Yes, yes, he knows more than that, but no one researched the topic more than he did, when he worked in DC.

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Nope. Irish often refer to the day as Paddy’s, but never as Patty’s

corona79 on March 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Say it ain’t so, Bobby.

The real Irish don’t take kindly to that “Patty’s” nonsense.

corona79 on March 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

“Lighten up, Francis”

jnelchef on March 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I could vote for him.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM

So could I, but Bobby doesn’t have much charisma.

bw222 on March 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

SheVee on March 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Agree 100%. The liberals/media have all the traps set and the GOP Establishment hates conservatives far more than Democrats.

bw222 on March 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I could vote for him.

crankyoldlady on March 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM

So could I, but Bobby doesn’t have much charisma.

bw222 on March 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

In a personal or retail sense I believe he does, but what he is not is telegenic or handsome. Like it or not, that counts.

Recall Slick’s Theory #19, “the presidential candidate with the best smile wins”.

slickwillie2001 on March 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Jindal is awesome. Our bench is so deep with talent it’s almost ridiculous.

John the Libertarian on March 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM

rrpjr on March 15, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Walker’s great, but Jindal is far more accomplished re. conservative, executive accomplishments in gov’t. Remember, Jindal was barely out of college when he started, revamping Louisiana’s state health care system. And he has been at it ever since.

itsnotaboutme on March 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Jindal has alienated almost every big GOP donor in LA. Clueless manager controlled by a Rasputin.

rock the casbah on March 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM

He’s all over the school choice issue, which ought to be a top GOP talking point. It drives a big wedge between two key Dem constituencies, and Obama stepped in it by killing the DC voucher program early in his first term, and Holder’s been making major, stupid mischief on this issue right in Jindal’s back yard. The ads will write themselves. It’s time to put the teacher’s unions in their place and give urban blacks a reason to vote conservative. School choice does that and it’s Jindal’s wheelhouse. Go Bobby!!

smellthecoffee on March 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM

He’s got a nice, puffy approval rating of 35 percent in Louisiana. I don’t care what he thinks he’s doing.

BrianJ on March 16, 2014 at 1:42 AM