Brown ramping up Senate run in New Hampshire: AP

posted at 12:01 pm on March 14, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Consider this the least-surprising but perhaps most-overdue development in the Senate race in New Hampshire. According to the Associated Press, former Senator Scott Brown has begun assembling a team to challenge Democrat Jeanne Shaheen for her own seat in the US Senate, hoping to unseat her in preparation for higher ambitions down the road:

Former Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown has begun seeking campaign staff while aggressively courting New Hampshire’s political elite, marking what local Republicans consider serious steps toward launching a Senate campaign against Democratic Sen. Jeanne Shaheen.

The stakes are high for the GOP’s national push for the Senate majority this fall as well as for Brown’s own political ambitions.

The longtime Massachusetts resident, having recently relocated to his seacoast New Hampshire vacation home, is expected to launch an exploratory committee to enter the race as soon as Friday, according to several New Hampshire Republican officials who spoke directly to Brown about his plans.

The move officially allows him to begin raising money and hiring staff. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly disclose his plans before an official announcement.

If that seems like a late entry into the race, you’re not mistaken. Two weeks ago, the New Hampshire Union-Leader editors criticized Brown for keeping the party on ice, and demanded that he fish or cut bait quickly. “Rarely has so much speculation gone on so long with so little concrete action to sustain it,” the editors noted, adding that “[e]ven world-class publicity magnets like the Kardashians or Justin Bieber would be impressed by Brown’s ability to monopolize media attention on what is, so far, a non-candidacy.” The filing deadline is in June, but US Senate races are expensive and require plenty of organization, even in a relatively small state like New Hampshire. Thanks to Brown’s presence but lack of commitment, the GOP doesn’t have anyone in good position to challenge Shaheen because of the “stasis” of which the Union-Leader editors complained.

By this time, New Hampshire Republicans might ask themselves if Brown is worth the trouble. Not long ago, having a former Massachusetts Senator and most-recent GOP loser parachute into New Hampshire to run against a Democratic incumbent looked like the only real option to defeat Shaheen. With ObamaCare melting down and Barack Obama’s approval ratings plummeting, that may no longer be the case. While Brown can certainly raise money and attract national attention, having a carpetbagger with his eye on a future presidential run as their challenger offers Shaheen some easy shots and a chance to shift the focus away from her and from ObamaCare.

Still, the rumblings of the campaign start-up was enough for Politico’s Mike Allen to argue that the GOP had decisively won the week. We’ll see, but it would help if a sense of urgency in challenging Shaheen by someone in the GOP appeared.

Update: Reid Wilson finds another indicator that Brown is aiming at Shaheen:

Skipping Iowa takes the running-for-President argument off of Shaheen’s plate, at least for the most part.

Comments

obama will lobby hard for amnesty the next two weeks. Boner will oblige. McConnell/Rubio/McCain already did.

Pelosi, well deserved Speaker in Jan. 2015, and it won’t matter who holds the senate.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Good for him…. He wasn’t my favorite but look what took his place in Mass.

sandee on March 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

OT – who can surpass Carney/Goebbels?

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

And the forecast calls for a H/A hate storm. Batten ‘em!

MJBrutus on March 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, I don’t think the carpetbagging smear is gonna overshadow Obamacare in this election cycle. It’s a shame New Hampshire is apparently so far gone that we can’t get a true conservative elected to the Senate from that state(and no, Kelly Ayotte does NOT count). But Brown has a good shot at winning this seat which would bolster the GOP’s overall numbers in the chamber. Plus he at least would be(assuming he’s not lying) a solid vote for repeal on Obamacare.

Doughboy on March 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

He got in, and promptly “moderated”. He lost reelection because of that.

Not. One. Dollar.

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Probably the best we could hope for in NH against Shaheen, short of one of the Sununus giving it a shot. He’ll at least make the Dems have to divert a ton of $$.

cdog0613 on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

He’s a one-note, I would think NH could do better.

Ukiah on March 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Brown, like Christie, is the best we can get in blue states. A Republican who will vote the way I want 75% of the time I will take over a Democrat who will vote the way I want 15% of the time. As long as they stay in the blue states they are elected from I will continue to say More Power To You

talking_mouse on March 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

While Brown can certainly raise money and attract national attention, having a carpetbagger with his eye on a future presidential run as their challenger offers…..

Worked for Hillary so far.

dirtseller on March 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Excellent news. He is the GOP’s best bet to win this seat. One step closer to a GOP majority in the Senate! I am sending in a donation as soon as Brown sets his campaign up!

Dr.B on March 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Didn’t we run a lot of “retreads” in 2012? George Allen, Tommy Thompson, the guy in Florida. There may be more. How’d that work out?

All those guys were RNC picks, though we never hear about that. We only hear about the losses of Tea Party candidates. Yet putting up familiar establishment faces doesn’t work that well, either.

(On a side note, I am struggling powerfully to post in these threads. My computer can’t even load a thread when I click on it. I am using Internet Explorer with Windows 7. Do I need a different program or something?)

will77jeff on March 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

cdog0613 on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

NH isn’t to elect a Tea Party Republican. Brown, isn’t a bad option for a Northeastern establishment “Republican.”

Happy Nomad on March 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Brown is a native New Englander and I think he’ll do fine and win. He’s a good guy and conservative enough for NH. I wish him well and will support him.

gracie on March 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM

He got in, and promptly “moderated”. He lost reelection because of that.

Not. One. Dollar.

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

In the short term if he goes into NH and makes a big fuss about Obamacare, that’s a good thing. Win or lose…and I’ll grant you that the long term difference wouldn’t amount to much.

ElectricPhase on March 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

OT – that claim in the headlines, about the “bullets in Osama’s body” are the reason for not releasing the photos is total crap.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Scott Brown: It Worked for Warren and Clinton.

May be the best NH/New England can do, but he isn’t going to get nationwide campaign funding windfall he got when running for Teddy’s Seat.

de rigueur on March 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM

will77jeff on March 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

You’re right, it didn’t work out too well; however, Brown would probably give the GOP their best chance to win in a blue state such as NH. And, a Brown victory would be yet another crucial step for the GOP to retake the Senate.

Bob Davis on March 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM

If Brown runs on gutting/repealing Obamacare and enforcing immigration laws he can win.

Wigglesworth on March 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Does he own a tomahawk??

Anyway, I look for Del’s take on this….maybe he’s
stocking up on Snow Dials…..

ToddPA on March 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM

He got in, and promptly “moderated”. He lost reelection because of that.

Not. One. Dollar.

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

You are hilarious. He stuck to his guns on opposing obamacare. Yeah, he is too moderate for my taste, but compared to Warren he was great. It’s been four years since 2010 and I can’t understand conservatives who expect each senator to vote like they are from Alabama. They have to be careful sometimes. If Brown had voted party line he would have lost to Warren by a much higher margin.

Donald Draper on March 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Shaheen ran as a moderate but has voted 100% with the Reid-Pelosi liberal agenda. She also is up to her keister in quotes about people being able to keep their insurance and their doctor, while New Hampshire is among the worst-hit states from Obamacare. I think something like only 3 hospitals in the state are accepting Obamacare policies.

New Hampshire’s electorate looks very much like that of Florida’s 13th District, where David Jolly just won the special election. I’m guessing Scott Brown was waiting for that result befiore jumping in to this race.

rockmom on March 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

He got in, and promptly “moderated”. He lost reelection because of that.

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

No, he won in the first place because his “opponent” was terrible, and he lost re-election because the MA Democrat Party ramped up a superior GOTV effort against him in 2012.

The MA Dems also chose a “candidate” who was much better at Lying to Democrat voters than Martha Coakley was.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Man, that guy changes statehood like a Killary…..

viking01 on March 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Shaheen is the 60th vote for O-No-Care D-No-Care.

He can win this.

I’ll take a 60% over a 0%, if a 100% isn’t available/electable.

22044 on March 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Man, that guy changes statehood like a Killary…..

viking01 on March 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Well, not exactly. Brown has owned a house in NH for some time. Killary went shopping- first for a state to run from and then for a residence.

Happy Nomad on March 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM

FYI, Scott Brown’s indecision does not prevent anyone, anywhere from deciding if they should run themselves.

I’m confused as to why this fact is not self evident.

Sounds more like they were complaining because they NEED Scott Brown, otherwise they have nobody to effectively mount a challenge to the incumbent.

And if so, bitching at Scott Brown seems like a badly conceived way to convince him TO run.

deadrody on March 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

She packed my bags a year ago last November, pre-flight
Zero hour, nine a.m.
And I’m gonna be remembered a loser to commie by then

I miss the Senate so much, I miss my seat
It’s lonely out in peasant land
On such a pedestrian plight

And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time ‘til election brings me round again to find I’m not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no, I’m a carpetbagger
Carpetbagger, burning out his creditability up here alone

Oh no, no, no, I’m a carpetbagger
Carpetbagger, burning out his creditability up here alone

Massachusetts ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it’s commie as hell
And there’s no one there to raise them if you did

And all this conservatism, I don’t understand
It’s just my job to pretend five days a week
A carpetbagger, a carpetbagger

And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time
And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time

NotCoach on March 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

cdog0613 on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Happy Nomad on March 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

That’s my take as well.

Brown will hopefully be smart enough to use Jeanne Shaheen’s sound bites against her as well as her own written words. For instance, she was one of a dozen Democrats who signed a letter asking the IRS to go after conservative groups, and there are plenty of sound bites of her praising O’bamacare.

The “polling” on this matchup has been all over the place; the Democrat PPP survey in late January had Brown and Shaheen tied, but a WMUR/UNH one had Shaheen ahead by 10. Should be interesting to see the poll results when/if Brown makes it official that he is in.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Man, that guy changes statehood like a Killary…..

viking01 on March 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Not really; Brown has owned a home in Rye on NH’s seacoast for years.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

He got in, and promptly “moderated”. He lost reelection because of that.

Not. One. Dollar.

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Absolute utter nonsense. I live in Massachusetts. Hardcore conservative voters – as few and far between as they may be – may not have come out as vehemently for Brown the second time, though I’m hardly going to concede that without polls that show it.

But what lost the Senate for Brown is exactly the same crap that lost the nation for Romney – the fake war on women and gays.

If you think a more conservative candidate would have done better against Liz Warren, you are completely mistaken.

deadrody on March 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Donald Draper on March 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

So Is Rush? He said the same thing,

“Here’s a man that the entire Republican Party base was willing to support, all over this country. And he ended up losing his reelection effort, didn’t he? To a genuine wacko, Elizabeth whatever her name is, Warren. He ends up losing to a genuine, legitimate wacko. “You didn’t build that” Elizabeth Warren, all because people who originally invested in him thought it wasn’t worth it to do it again, ’cause once he got there, he moderated, which is what the leadership, of course, wanted him to do.”

If NH wants to elect him fine, but the outside money that helped him (like mine) into that position won’t be coming again.

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

rockmom on March 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I can see how that would happen. In massachusetts so far, the impact of Obamacare has been minimal because we already have our own version. The individual mandate, all the coverage mandates, etc. And I can see the “live free or die” state as the exact opposite of Massachusetts in that respect, especially given the size of the state, as well. I’m sure the federal, top-down approach to health insurance is a massive disaster from their perspective.

deadrody on March 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM

…does she have high checks?

KOOLAID2 on March 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM

cheeks!

KOOLAID2 on March 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Not really; Brown has owned a home in Rye on NH’s seacoast for years.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I’ll buy that.

viking01 on March 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM

The one thing I would bring up is this.

Wasn’t there a guy who lost the Senate primary to Kelly Ayotte??

Why doesn’t he run? Or is he??

ToddPA on March 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

So Is Rush? He said the same thing,

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Thank you for making our point for us. Massachusetts did indeed elect a “you didn’t build that”, dyed in the wool socialist wacko. And you think Scott Brown being MORE conservative would have played well ? Am I living in Bizzaro world ? What plays NATIONALLY to some mythical national conservative coalition 1) is irrelevant in a statewide race rather than a national race, and 2) doesn’t play at all in blue massachusetts. This is simply a fact that you seem to want to pretend does not exist.

It was hardly a lack of “investment” in Scott Brown that beat him. If any kind of “investment” was to blame, it was the MASSIVE amount of outside money that supported Elizabeth Warren. In fact, despite her massive fund raising, Scott Brown raised and spent a LOT. Mark Kirk, in a similarly sized state (population) spent a total of about $19 million in Illinois to win his Senate seat in 2010. Liz Warren spent $38 million, but Scott Brown spent a tidy $26 Million in 2012.

Brown only raised $18 million to get elected in 2010, but only spent $11 Million.

deadrody on March 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

The one thing I would bring up is this.

Wasn’t there a guy who lost the Senate primary to Kelly Ayotte??

Why doesn’t he run? Or is he??

ToddPA on March 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Ovide LaMontagne.
I wonder what he’s up to now.

22044 on March 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Hillary’s move from ? to upstate New York was not carpetbagging, it was a great sacrifice she made for New Yorkers desperately in need of her political skills in representing them in the US Congress.

Brown’s move from Massachusetts to New Hampshire, -obviously carpetbagging.

slickwillie2001 on March 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM

The funny thing is, we seem to have forgotten the relationship between an elected official and the population they represent.

Scott Brown’s non-conservative votes, while disagreeable to me, and you, and literally every visitor at Hotair, was very, very likely in line with a solid majority of the people of Massachusetts. And despite all the politics, isn’t that his job ?

Sorry if we’d like to ignore that fact, but the state of Massachusetts is hardly a hotbed of strong conservative values. Its just not.

deadrody on March 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

The one thing I would bring up is this.

Wasn’t there a guy who lost the Senate primary to Kelly Ayotte??

Why doesn’t he run? Or is he??

ToddPA on March 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Ovide LaMontagne.

I wonder what he’s up to now.

22044 on March 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM

He’s a lawyer for a NH Pro-Life group.

But he’s a terrible politician; he also ran for Governor and lost almost 20 years ago.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM

So Is Rush? He said the same thing,

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Rush has been wrong before. And he was wrong here.

Brown lost in 2012 because the Democrats ran a better candidate against him, and increased their GOTV efforts. Warren was a much better Liar than Martha Coakley was.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM

He’s a lawyer for a NH Pro-Life group.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Thanks much Del.

ToddPA on March 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

deadrody on March 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

The problem isn’t Brown. The problem is the Senate is full of Browns. Browns that come from Tennessee, and other places that are bastion of Conservatism. Another seat is great, but if all they are going to rubber stamp Obama like the current GOP has been doing; then none of us are really excited about it. It doesn’t help when we have idiots not stopping stuff in cloture.

melle1228 on March 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM

“Ovide LaMontagne.
He ran for governor in 2012 and lost in a strong turnout election for Democrats.”

I contributed to and enthusiastically supported Ovide. Met him and really like and respect him. He loses election after election over decades. For whatever reasons (social issues I think) NH voters do not take to him.

I used to live in MA but in NH since 2004. I contributed $ to Brown’s 1st winning run. Was disappointed in some of his votes, Frank-Dodd. Lost enthusiasm for the squishy RINO version.

Brown’s family has roots in NH over centuries. He has owned a home in Rye NH since the 90s.

I’d gladly accept a guy whose vote I’d back 2/3rds of the time vs Shaheen who ran as a “moderate” but votes with Reid & Obama 99.5% of the time. That 2/3rds support is crucial, especially with possible Supreme Court justices to be nominated in the next several years. A social conservative or strong conservative cannot win in NH even though NH is the most middle of the road New England state by far.

67% ~ conservative voting RINO >>> 100% Dem Tool any time

philw1776 on March 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

“Rush has been wrong before. And he was wrong here.

Del Dolemonte”

Spot on.
Warren got huge out of state $. Dems were not complacent after losing with Martha “It’s not illegal to be illegal” Coakley. A BIG factor was that Coak was simply a bland MA pol tool and did not energize the lefty base like Warren, whom they love.

philw1776 on March 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Snot Brown is a POS.

This confirms it.

Call him “Hillary-Light” now.

HondaV65 on March 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Speculation of Scott Brown Senate run in New Hampshire
4m
Fox terminates Scott Brown’s contract today after ‘he notified Fox News of his intention to form an exploratory committee’ – @sppeoples

canopfor on March 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM

OT, or not, throw this scumhag out of the congress.

Schadenfreude on March 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Donald Draper on March 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

New Hampshire has a much less liberal electorate than Massachusetts, so that Scott Brown can run (and vote) further right than he did in Mass and win in New Hampshire.

Republican Senate candidates need to adapt their campaigns to the states they hope to represent. A Tea Party candidate like Mike Lee or Ted Cruz can win Utah or Texas, but a Republican in a purple state like New Hampshire needs to be careful not to scare off the wishy-washy middle with positions they might consider extreme. It’s better to elect a Republican from a purple state who votes conservatively 70 to 80% of the time, than run a “purist” who loses the election and elects a Democrat who votes conservatively 0% of the time.

Steve Z on March 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Del Dolemonte”

Spot on.

philw1776 on March 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Coakley’s problem? She was nowhere near as good of a Liar as Granny Warren. Maybe because she was Massachusett’s Attorney General at the time?

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM

…’ He might be helped by the fact that New Hampshire’s other Senator, Kelly Ayotte, is a Republican, and he could model his positions on issues on her winning campaign. Scott Brown is also familiar with the Boston area and now lives in the southeastern part of NH (the most liberal part), so he might be able to pull more votes from that area than a candidate from the more conservative central and northern part of the state. ‘…

Ayotte won the primary by repeatedly stating ‘ no amnesty for illegals’. She defeated the democrat nominee by highlighting his wish for amnesty vs her position of ‘ no amnesty for illegals.’ Now that Sen Ayotte is in… she is now for amnesty for illegals…. yeah..Brown could model his campaign and lie like Ayotte did…..

Brown is behind Shaheen in all counties and Shaheen has a 20% poll advantage with the female voters.

dusaa-1975 on March 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Carpetbagger’s named Clinton or named Brown … disgust me.

Carnac on March 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM

This is the kind of craven, calculated, all-about-me political decision I’d expect from a Democrat.

FishingwFredo on March 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

67% ~ conservative voting RINO >>> 100% Dem Tool any time

philw1776 on March 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I would hope that 67% turns into 80+% in New Hamshire. I kind of think it will.

Even though he would go back to being besties with the McCain-Ayotte-Collins wing of the party, I always kind of respected him. I have some hope he wouldn’t be that bad in New Hampshire.

KMav on March 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I don’t get why he moved there. He could have just rented a LaZBoy from a campaign donor like Pat Roberts does.

cptacek on March 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Brown is a complete waste of time. A complete fraud. Conservatives need to assert authentic conservatism in the GOP not work to give this RINO-tard a catbird seat to move the party further towards passivity and accomodation in face of the Left onslaught. Utterly laughable that this lightweight sees himself as Prez material.

vilebody on March 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Doughboy on March 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Does it still qualify as “carpetbagging” when you move NORTH from one Yankee state to another?

(BTW – my family is all Maine and Massachusetts natives back to the 1700s)

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

dusaa-1975 on March 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Source for your numbers, please? The most recent “poll” done in NH was completed March 5, and does not have county breakdowns. That would be Suffolk/Boston Herald.

All of the other polls done for this potential race were done in January, so are worthless.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Doughboy on March 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

(BTW – my family is all Maine and Massachusetts natives back to the 1700s)

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

No, that is not carpetbagging.

Legendary folk singer Tom Rush was born in New Hampshire, but finally moved across the Connecticut River to Vermont a few years ago.

He did so to escape the harsh New Hampshire winters.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He did so to escape the harsh New Hampshire winters.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I’ve heard of Maine farmers getting the border changed so they could be in New Hampshire for the same reason….

Not very familiar with Tom Rush, but for downeast humah – love Joe Perham

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Brown must not have gotten the memo. Cons ethnically cleansed Republicans from the Northeast a long time ago.

cimbri on March 14, 2014 at 4:29 PM

He did so to escape the harsh New Hampshire winters.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Not very familiar with Tom Rush, but for downeast humah – love Joe Perham

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Tom Rush goes way back to the early 1960s and is a contemporary of people like Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne and James Taylor, whose songs he covered back in those days.

As for Joe, he’s an absolute riot.

The Chemical Toilet

Here in NH we have a relatively recent new form of comedy relief, sorta our version of Red Green.

Fred Marple explains the weather.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM

As for Joe, he’s an absolute riot.
The Chemical Toilet

Fred Marple explains the weather.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Firewall won’t let me see those – have to check when I get home.
I’ve got a bunch of Joe Perham CDs and cassettes that my dad sent to me – so much good stuff theyah.
Ayah.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Del I usually agree with you, but you are incorrect this time. I followed this very closely. After Brown lost many of his former supporters called in to the Howie Carr program on WRKO and said that after Brown went RINO they refused to support him. He initally won with the huge GOTV effort by conservatives.

They refused to come back out for him. In a town hall he conducted with Jeff Kuhner, members of the audience who had supported him stood up and told him they refused to help him further after he betrayed them.

Brown’s response to these people was that they were stupid and they should have supported him anyway.

It doesn’t work that way. If you are disloyal to the people that got you elected, they won’t vote for you or put up signs, donate money or their time.

He won, like Ayotte did, by sounding like a conservative. He lost when his supporters learned he lied to them.

New Hampshire can elect a fire breathing conservative. We just need to find one. Now don’t point at the last election and wag your finger. We got licked by voter fraud and bad candidates. The dems pulled out all the stops.

He cannot win here. We all know he’s useless. I won’t vote for him.

dogsoldier on March 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I’m sure you guys are right, and I’m wildly wrong, and of course Rush is clueless. Yup. I’m sure Scott Brown didn’t lose support for acting like a Rino on Reed’s “jobs” bill or any of another dozen issues after election. Im sure if you googled his name and Rino you’d barely get a hit. No smarmy Salon articles happily snickering about how Brown lost conservative respect so soon after after the election etc…

Look fellers, I do not know if a more conservative candidate would do better in NH or more liberal NE states in general. Probably not, but I did not bring that up. I also did not bring up if I thought someone else in particular would be better or any of the other things that you guys are talking about. Not my issue. What I said was he “moderated” his stance after election, he lost support, and I wasn’t going to send him any money this time. All three of those are true statements.

Much like Rubio after the amnesty push, I do not trust this particular candidate any longer and wont be sending another check. If you support him, more power to you! Wish you the best. Have fun storming the castle and all that jazz. I Just don’t think I’d expect the money bomb he got last time. At minimum I can think of one donation he wont get for sure.

But then, what do I know? Apart from the average flight speed of an unladen swallow of course, but who doesn’t know that?

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Bob Davis on March 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM

And that’s the problem, these rinos are good for the Republican Party but their voting records are horrible for America.

RJL on March 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Ayotte got elected here by a state that believed she was conservative. NH is not a blue state. The socialists employed voter fraud and we had crappy candidates.

Brown won in Mass when the voters believed he was conservative.

Conservatives won’t come out for a democrat who calls himself or herself a republican. They just won’t. The socialists will vote for anyone with a D after their name.

dogsoldier on March 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM

As for Joe, he’s an absolute riot.
The Chemical Toilet

Fred Marple explains the weather.

Del Dolemonte on March 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Ayuh – I’ve got that Joe Perham album “That Wonderful Old Two-Holer” – good stuff.

The Fred Marple video reminded me a bit of a guy who used to do the weather reports from the top of Mt Washington back in the 70s – I can’t remember his name, but he had a flat-top buzzcut, wore old fashioned black BC glasses, and had a bow tie – talked with a very odd mix of New England accent and geeky speech impediment. My Dad knew him quite well since Dad was a weather observer at the Portland Airport (sorry – JETPort) – at the time, that guy was the highlight of the evening news in the region.

dentarthurdent on March 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Clownish, carpet-bagging RINO. Voters with functioning brains (i.e., not liberals) tend to frown upon this sort of behavior. He’ll get slaughtered.

Jaibones on March 14, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Irritable Pundit on March 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Well played, O irritable one. I like the cut of your jib.

Jaibones on March 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I supported Brown in 2010 and am was on his email list. I just unsubscribed. I hope he wins but I have limited money to contribute and he doesn’t make the cut. You’re right though. In a state filled with MJ Brutus and King Gold types, he’s about the best e can do.

bw222 on March 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM