WSJ/NBC poll: Americans now think sugar is a bigger health threat than marijuana

posted at 7:21 pm on March 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

Actually, is that what these numbers say? That’s how it’s being sold in the media, because the idea of candy and soda vaulting past the age-old bugaboo of weed is, admittedly, mind-boggling. But that’s not really a fair read of this:

weed

They’re not asking people to rank them. They’re not asking them to quantify how dangerous each is. All they’re asking is which is the most harmful. It could be that the 92 percent who didn’t list marijuana first had it a close second and the 85 percent who didn’t list sugar first had it a very distant fourth. What the poll really says is that there’s a hardcore 15 percent out there who think sugar’s more dangerous than weed — and more dangerous than alcohol(!), and more dangerous than tobacco(!!). That’s the amazing result. Forget pot. The largely left-wing anti-obesity campaign has been so fantastically successful that a not insignificant minority now believes that ingesting sweets and/or soda is more of a health risk than a notoriously addictive carcinogen. And yeah, I know — not all tobacco comes in cigarette form, so it’s not strictly fair to equate it with “cigarettes.” But c’mon. It’s obvious which product people think of when asked whether “tobacco” is harmful. Decades of surgeon general’s warnings will do that.

It is, though, of course significant that weed drew the smallest “most dangerous” crowd. It’s forever being compared to booze in legalization debates; you would think that attitudes among older Americans, who grew up when legalization was unimaginable, plus the lingering stigma of prohibition would have at least made it competitive with alcohol in the “most dangerous” debate. Nope. It’s got one-third the number of hardcore opponents that booze has. It’s remarkable that the one product on that list that you can’t buy legally is the one with the fewest people naming it the most dangerous of the four.

Two clips for you from this past week. The key bit in the Perry vid starts at around 2:20.

Comments

Don’t Bogart that tootsie roll my friend, pass it over to me…

Kraken on March 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM

If the mean “Uncle Sugar,” then sign me on with that theory.

Warner Todd Huston on March 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Or we could consider the poll’s subtext: 15 percent of respondents were high when answering.

Stoic Patriot on March 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Sugar? You kidding? It’s way more health hazardous than pot.

ZachV on March 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

OT:

1m
Photo: US Airways plane aborted take-off at Philadelphia after front landing gear collapses – @nbcnightlynews

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

What about pot brownies?

rbj on March 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

“Baaaah baaaah” say all the sheeple.

On another note, marijuana is a gateway drug to sugar.

;)

h a p f a t on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Pass the Dutchie to the left hand side…..

portlandon on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Every generation, when in youth, has it’s crusades. It’s funny watching the variety unfold over the decades.

Our great-grandparents thought it was the essence of trend to wear raccoon coats and swallow goldfish live.

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM

How safe are the dyes in Cheetohs™?

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Sugar farmers in FL that Rubio covers by supporting sugar subsidies…yes, sugar is the biggest threat on that list to America.

uatu1878 on March 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

On another note, marijuana is a gateway drug to sugar.

;)

h a p f a t on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

There ya’ go, that’s about it. :)

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

How many people, do you suppose, that are purists? They’ll spend a night smoking pot but will abstain from alcohol while doing so. Alcohol has all sorts of sugars BTW and if you’re one of these hipsters whose drink choices resemble the recipe for hummingbird nectar…..

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM

It depends on how one looks at it. The health problem that sugar presents is of an entirely different nature than that presented by marijuana. The only thing on that list that a person should absolutely avoid is tobacco.

DisneyFan on March 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM

How safe are the dyes in Cheetohs™?

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Very it all ends up on your fingers and not in your system.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Very it all ends up on your fingers and not in your system.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Lourdes! How are you? You still have many friends here.

hawkdriver on March 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I`m sick and tired of hearing about pot. Pot! Pot! Pot! Pot! Pot! Pot! Pot! Really, it`s very sad that this seems to be such a HUGE part of some sad people`s lives. Damn stoners, you`re an anchor around or ankle. Straighten up and make something of yourselves!

And get off my lawn.

ThePrez on March 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM

For diabetics, like myself, sugar is certainly more dangerous. Sugar is much more widely used and abused than pot and harms far more people.

steel guy on March 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM

That’s how it’s being sold in the media,

That is because the credentialed, not educated in the media are basically innumerate. I wouldn’t be surprised if half of them would be able to figure out if they were getting paid what was promised them.

Dusty on March 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Have you seen canopfor lately?

Bmore on March 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM

My ex husband smoked pot. On quite a few occasions, he went psycho after smoking. Talk about paranoid delusions, he’d run around the house saying people were watching him and out to get him. Before I met him, he had flipped out once on pot and gone to a church and turned himself in to the priest in the confessional. So I really wouldn’t say that marijuana isn’t a health threat, to at least some people it definitely is a threat.

BeachBum on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

The media is not very good at figuring out what studies really mean. Statistics, math, facts, that kind of stuff doesn’t really matter as much as making a headline they like out of it.

What’s that old saying, “everything in moderation”? If you use any of these substances responsibly and sparingly you’ll be fine. The problem comes in when people can’t use things wisely and responsibly, in moderation and with self control. Very few kids growing up today are taught moderation and self control.

Annielou on March 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Pass the Dutchie to the left hand side…..

portlandon on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I like the old Mighty Diamonds version too. Old school.

Mimzey on March 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I happen to agree with Perry on this. Sans the hipster glasses.

Bmore on March 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Lourdes! How are you? You still have many friends here.

hawkdriver on March 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM

A very big ‘thanks,’ hawkdriver, for that kind comment.

I’m here. I visit and read, just stopped commenting as much because of a variety of reasons but, thanks, again, for such kindness.

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM

ThePrez on March 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I completely agree. And it begs the question- why in the hell are we legalizing pot. CO and WA will be interesting experiments. They currently are happy with the new laws but what happens when babies start dying because the parents are so stoned they couldn’t respond? Teens start dying because some high driver T-boned their vehicle? In short, I don’t think that the real social costs of legalizing pot has yet to be tallied.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Talk about a contrast. Perry comes off so much better than Christie. Odd since his comments were very subdued. His mellow was good.

Bmore on March 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I happen to agree with Perry on this. Sans the hipster glasses.

Bmore on March 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I agree with Perry as well and totally dig the hipster glasses. Decriminalize it and let the States create regulatory bodies and taxes for it. Small government and all that.

And I haven’t seen canopfor in a few days. That isn’t unusual.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

…nature than that presented by marijuana. The only thing on that list that a person should absolutely avoid is tobacco.

DisneyFan on March 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Perhaps you haven’t read that there are more carcinogens delivered to the body by smoking marijuana than by smoking a (filtered) tobacco cigarette?

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

BeachBum on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Sounds a lot like some cokeheads I used to know. Never seen that behavior with pot but I guess some might have a reaction like that.

steel guy on March 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM

BeachBum on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Sounds very familiar, unfortunately. Marijuana does induce psychosis in some people. The question is, in how many? I’ve seen several so far in my lifetime who went utterly bonkers from the weed.

Lourdes on March 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM

BeachBum on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Pot alters brain chemistry for days afterward. For this reason, the comparison to alcohol is absurd.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Everyone eats sugar. Very few people do drugs after they turn 25. This relatively small number of people do not justify the police state that has been built up around them, and us by extension.

The culture wars are over, and people just don’t care about a lot of things anymore. It’s the economy.

Another Libertarian on March 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM

On another note, marijuana is a gateway drug to sugar.

;)

h a p f a t on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

It was the gateway drug to salt for me.

Dusty on March 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM

First of all, I wouldn’t trust anything brought to you by the letter “wsj” or “nbc”.

Buddahpundit on March 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM

BeachBum on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Some people don’t like to hear these things, because it goes against the “no worse than alcohol” line, but it’s true. I have taken my son to the ER twice for major anxiety attacks that needed medical intervention. Both times after smoking just a little pot. He’s off it completely now.

BTW, the ER doctors told me they saw cases like his all the time.

ncinca on March 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Drugs, abortion, gays. Does the mantra ever stop on the “right”?

Another Libertarian on March 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Amen. Seems like so many things these days people can’t wait to dive into, head first. Crazy.

ncinca on March 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Libertine moral indignation is the best…its totally insane, but it is the best nonetheless.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Next it’ll be dihydrogen monoxide!

Yes that great evil chemical responsible for so much damage to the economy and you can overdose on it, too. Much worse than sugar, pot or whatever the bugaboo du jour is. Time to villify dihydrogen monoxide!

ajacksonian on March 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM

We got a thing here in Pennsylvania Dutch Country called
a Whoopie Pie…yeah, they’re lethal….

..as in Lethally Good!

Fun thing is….oh wait, let me light this Blunt first….

ToddPA on March 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

51% voted for OBAMA too, twice!

TX-96 on March 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Another Libertarian is sugar a drug?

CWchangedhisNicagain on March 13, 2014 at 8:34 PM

HIDE your wallets people. It’s coming.

CWchangedhisNicagain on March 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I use to think that education was the cure for stupidity, but now understand that “Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

savage24 on March 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

[Bmore on March 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM]

I agree. Christie’s spiel was preachy while casting himself as being on the right road since before before he was a prosecutor. But read the intro and then the first few lines in the history section of the Wiki entry on the War on Drugs.

I happened to dig it up after his remark about it starting 30 years ago which, meaning 1984, seemed very odd to me since it was a Nixonian program initiated in 1971 that lead to the term. And Nixon’s program was two pronged, one, stopping the drug trade at it’s source and , two, drug addiction prevention and rehab, so if the War on Drugs has failed, what is Christie proposing? That we stop interdiction of the drug trade? That we legalize all psychotropic drugs? That we stop rehabbing addicts?

I’d like to know the question Christie was asked, one, to see if there was a reason for him confining it to 30 years ago, and now two, why Christie’s image team found it necessary to leave it on the cutting room floor.

Dusty on March 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

OMG! Napoleon Bloomberg was rightz!!1!

John the Libertarian on March 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Interesting that no one mentioned that people who are smoking weed are also the same people who will sit down and eat an entire plate full, or bag full, as the case may be, of cookies and wash them down with soda before moving on to the ‘salt’ flavor point and tearing into a bag of chips and/or a cheeseburger, etc. , suffering, as they are, from a case of munchies and cotton mouth.

Oh, the irony. lol!

thatsafactjack on March 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Frankly, the worst part of this is that the gov’t and the idiots pushing the “obesity” agenda, including the dumbass in the white house are to blame here. The idea that a 20 oz coke is inherently bad for you is moronic. And yet, there are “scientists” and doctors that will try and tell you exactly that.

Have you seen links to articles about how sugar is “toxic”. Oh yes.

The “reality” based community at work.

deadrody on March 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

In other news, pot makes you stupid.

DangerHighVoltage on March 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Oh, just legalize it. It’s not worth the time and expense only to fail at trying to stop or control it.

Dollayo on March 14, 2014 at 1:50 AM

And they would be correct. My only fear is that the minority of older conservatives still paralyzed with fear and brainwashed by propaganda hurt us moving forward with this issue. It is right in our wheelhouse: individual liberty, states rights, and free enterprise and yet judging by some of the comments on this board, we still have a faction of dullards on this issue…I think we will overcome it though and get this right. Sugar and being a fat lazy person is far more dangerous than marijuana, and as a 25 year user, I work out 5 times a week, I do not drink alcohol,and walk at least 2 miles on off days. I am a active member of my Southern Baptist church, coach little league, and have been a conservative all my adult life…..I just really cant believe how backward so many on this thread are in regard to this issue, its weird. I guess the old people are still stuck in Reefer Madness….oh well, it wont matter. The economics of this will make it a moot point soon enough and no longer will people like me have to fear the government, on this issue at least…lol.

Redstone357 on March 14, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Drugs, abortion, gays. Does the mantra ever stop on the “right”?

Another Libertarian on March 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Drugs, abortion, gays. Does the mantra ever stop on the “left”?

Ricard on March 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I’d rather my kids smoke tobacco than pot. The purpose of pot is to introduce a high (drug induced state) that is an inherent part of its use. But this also comes with lethargy and disconnect. This is not the case with the others, which can be used without debilitating effects. For example, you can enjoy wine with dinner without getting drunk, or sweet desserts without getting obese. But ‘pot’ without the ‘high’ (and all the ill side effects it brings) is pointless.

Ricard on March 14, 2014 at 8:57 AM

BeachBum on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I have been smoking for over 35 years and have never witnessed this. You sure the dude wasn’t sprinkling other things on top of the cannabis? I’m thinkin’ coke, crack or angel dust (PCP) or just mental issues.

Nape-wa-ste on March 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM

If you give me weed, whites and wine
And you show me a sign