Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on March 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

Tuesday night’s special election in Florida should be a serious scare for Democrats who worry that Obamacare will be a major burden for their party in 2014. Despite recruiting favored candidate Alex Sink, outspending Republicans, and utilizing turnout tools to help motivate reliable voters, Democrats still lost to Republican lobbyist David Jolly—and it wasn’t particularly close…

Special elections don’t necessarily predict the November elections, but this race in a bellwether Florida district that both parties aggressively contested comes as close as possible to a November test run for both parties. Democrats worked to clear the field for Sink, an unsuccessful 2010 gubernatorial nominee, while Republicans missed out on their leading recruits, settling for Jolly, a lobbyist who once worked for Rep. Bill Young, the late congressman whose 13th District vacancy Jolly will fill. Sink outspent Jolly, but the Republican was able to close the financial gap with the help of outside groups. All told, Democrats held a $5.4 million to $4.5 million spending advantage…

One of the key questions in the race was whether a “fix, don’t repeal” message would resonate with voters dissatisfied with the health care law but unwilling to give up on it. The verdict is incomplete, but it’s an early sign the depth of anger over Obamacare.

***

Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus had every reason to gloat Tuesday night over Rep.-elect Jolly.

“His victory shows that voters are looking for representatives who will fight to end the disaster of Obamacare, to get Washington to spend our money responsibly, and to put power in the hands of families and individuals,” Priebus said. “In November, voters all across the country will have the chance to send the same message that Pinellas County voters have sent: Democrats’ policies are not working for America.”

Don’t be surprised to see vulnerable Democrats across the country start distancing themselves from health care reform in a way that Sink did not

Obama at this point looks like a drag for Democrats in November, just as he consistently has been for Sink.

***

“Republican special interest groups poured in millions to hold onto a Republican congressional district that they’ve comfortably held for nearly 60 years. Tonight, Republicans fell short of their normal margin in this district because the agenda they are offering voters has a singular focus – that a majority of voters oppose – repealing the Affordable Care Act that would return us to the same old broken health care system,” Wasserman Schultz said in a DNC rapid response statement.

***

“Dems should not try to spin this loss,” Paul Begala, a onetime top political aide to former President Bill Clinton, wrote on Twitter. “We have to redouble our efforts for 2014.”…

In fact, the district should have been one of the Democratic Party’s most winnable targets. Of the 37 GOP-held seats that the Cook Political Report ranks as the most vulnerable to Democratic takeover, only 11 are more Democratic-friendly than Florida’s 13th. The district has just a narrow GOP registration edge…

Following Sink’s loss, some Democrats said they’re rethinking their approach to combating the GOP’s Obamacare-centered assault. Sink’s nuanced “fix it, don’t repeal it” message was one that the national Democratic Party is urging many candidates to embrace, but it may have been drowned out by the avalanche of loud Republican attacks.

***

At a late-morning conservative briefing hosted by the Heritage Foundation, a dozen Republican members of Congress were asked whether they saw Jolly’s win as proof of the decisive poisonous potency of Obamacare. All of them said yes. Only Michele Bachmann dissented in part, saying Obama himself was an even greater issue.

“I was out with some colleagues last night,” said Tennessee Rep. John Duncan,” and when I first heard Mr. Jolly had won the election, I said, ‘Thank you, Obamacare.’”

***

However, Greenberg offered additional advice. He said Dems should focus mainly on fighting the health care wars to a draw while simultaneously using economic issues to motivate the Dem base, to match GOP success in ginning up the base over the ACA. And he said Dems needed to go up with more ads to counter the massive spending against Obamacare from outside conservative groups — right now…

Greenberg said the Dem failure to turn out their voters in FL-13 – and not opinion on the health law — was the decisive factor. (The First Read crew noted today that turnout in the district was barely more than half that in 2012, and that Dem voters “didn’t show up.”) Greenberg said, if anything, that the closeness of the race (given GOP turnout superiority) indicated that Dem Alex Sink had mostly neutralized Obamacare as an issue, given all the outside GOP ads hammering her over it.

“To me this confirms an even split on the issue when you join it,” Greenberg said. Sink pollster Geoff Garin went even further in a new memo, arguing that Sink’s “keep and fix” message had helped among independents but that low turnout among Dems had doomed her…

“Jobs are the priority, not health care – you need more than that to energize Democrats,” Greenberg said. “It could be the minimum wage. It could be what you’re going to do on jobs. It could be opposing trade agreements that cut jobs. It could be opposing Social Security cuts. These are issues that move Democrats.”

What Democrats need this year is more Obamacare, not less

To the extent that the new law has not created a groundswell of enthusiasm for Democratic candidates among the law’s intended beneficiaries it is surely in part because…so many of the law’s intended beneficiaries are not being helped by the law. Fully one half of the expansion of health coverage under the law was supposed to occur through the expansion of Medicaid, to cover all people under 138 percent of the poverty line. And in Florida and nearly two dozen other states, that expansion is not happening, thanks to the Supreme Court ruling that made the expansion optional and the opposition of Republican governors and state legislators.

In Florida alone, there are more than 1 million people who were supposed to be covered by the Medicaid expansion but are still uninsured. In Pinellas County, the heart of the 13th Congressional District, there are more than 50,000 people in that coverage gap (the district as a whole had more than 134,000 uninsured in 2011, slightly below average for Florida’s very high rate of uninsured). Yet this basic reality is constantly overlooked in coverage of the law—pundits note that the law is not polling all that well even among the uninsured, as if this some kind of ironic commentary on the law’s failure. No, it’s a commentary on the fact that millions of the uninsured aren’t benefiting from the law, because of the blockage of the Medicaid expansion. Why should they tell pollsters they support it? It’s not doing anything for them.

***

It’s not clear whether Sink’s weak defense of Obamacare was the key factor, or even a significant factor, in her loss. Political reporters sometimes make too much of national issues in special elections. But there’s no doubt that Sink’s campaign showed the difficulties of the Democrats’ defense of Obamacare. They have to say they want to fix the program because almost nobody (a bare eight percent in the latest Kaiser Foundation survey) wants to keep the law as is. But to fix the aspects of Obamacare that are imposing new burdens on millions of Americans — higher premiums, higher deductibles, a hugely unpopular mandate, and narrower choices of doctors, hospitals, and prescription drugs — Democrats would have to advocate fundamental changes in the law that they have so far steadfastly refused to accept. Get rid of the individual mandate? To do so would rip the heart out of Obamacare, tantamount to repealing it altogether. Many Democrats would rather lose than do that.

So the Florida contest may or may not be a bellwether. But it did lay bare the Democrats’ “fix Obamacare” dilemma. By the time midterm campaigning is at full speed in September and October, Democratic candidates will probably not be able to get away with listing a couple of non-germane tweaks as their program to “fix” Obamacare. If they try, they could pay a high political price. But if they suggest fundamental changes to the law, they’ll run afoul of party orthodoxy and risk losing national Democratic support. It will be just another added cost of the Affordable Care Act.

***

That brings us to another reason for Dem despair: A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll released yesterday puts the president’s job approval rating at 41 percent, down two points since January. That’s the lowest it’s ever been. Overall, the national vibe is bad for the president and negative feelings toward Obama are up since last fall, at 44 percent, compared to 41 percent who report positive feelings.

Republicans aren’t winning hearts either. But the poll suggests that the public is coming around to the belief that the GOP should be in charge of the legislature. Slightly more respondents—44 percent—said they now prefer Republican control of Congress to control by Democrats.

Add in the fact that turnout in mid-term elections tends to favor Republicans, and you have a pretty gloomy outlook for Democrats come November. Bad news like we saw today exacerbates this effect. It’s a feedback loop. Between the poor polling and yesterday’s election, I suspect lots of Democratic hearts are starting to, well, sink.

***

“I talked to a lot of folks on the trail, and I said, if you like your Republican majority in the House, you can keep it.”

***

Q: Do you agree with that? Do you agree that the Affordable Care Act was not a factor in the Democratic loss in this race — not a major factor — (inaudible)?

MR. CARNEY: Look, let me — let me — let me say a couple things. Tempting as it is, given my background, I am not going to delve too deep into election analysis. But I will note that any fair assessment of the role that the debate about the Affordable Care Act played reaches the conclusion that at best for the Republicans, it was a draw.

***

“You have to take your medicine at some point.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Hmm. My wood eevening buddy is late…

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Is that me or BMore?

Your answer could put you on the piker list.

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Who sleeps at night? Really!

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 1:53 AM

The lion.

soundingboard on March 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Is there any way to get off of the piker list once one has been on it?

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 2:23 AM

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Me and the mister have been together nearly 17 years-married for going on 12-and I would never DREAM of pulling that stunt on my husband..
I’m also younger than my husband-by 11 years-but even when I was in my 20s…
You’re better of w/ out her. Just sayin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Aaaand B.More.

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 2:39 AM

I’m already on the piker list. Dire Straits.

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM

And here I thought you were a hoser.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Sorry. I thought I quoted Sporky.

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 2:44 AM

5m
2 killed, 23 injured after car hits crowd outside SXSW venue in Austin – @ATCEMS, @kxan_news
read more on kxan.com

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Is there any way to get off of the piker list once one has been on it?

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Yep. Get one of the hotties to smooch me. Then you are off.

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 2:52 AM

Hi merm.

RWM calls me alfalfa sprouts. That’s funny.

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Feel free to quote me. You can quote me on that.

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Feel free to quote me. You can quote me on that.

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Nevermind alla that!

I just watched the second video. Not one, single attractive person in that whole thing save the reporter.

You think I’m kidding when I tell you all democrats are ugly people?

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 3:02 AM

Check this out. It looks pretty good.

BadBlue News

From Doug Ross of Director Blue to Thomas Lifson of America Thinker: “I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time to check thousands of websites for breaking news.

Yes, there are some great aggregators out there: Drudge, Twitchy, etc. But all of them rely upon human editors and, most importantly, don’t give smaller blogs and websites much of their attention.

That’s why we created BadBlue News. It’s a very different type of news aggregator because it uses machine learning and automation to achieve massive scalability in assessing news sources and breaking stories. Here’s how it’s different:

1. It uses social network buzz, not a set of human editors, to determine how important a story is.

2. It levels the playing field for smaller websites and blogs by taking into account traffic patterns; that is, a story on a small blog with 15 retweets might be equivalent to a story on Fox News with 1,000 retweets. The traffic patterns and social buzz are both factored in by BadBlue to offer a much wider range of news coverage than any other aggregator.

3. It never sleeps: BadBlue runs 24×7 and never relies upon human editors making decisions.

BadBlue is growing quickly. From September 2013 to January 2014, page views grew by 20 percent with Google Analytics reporting the average time onsite is a startling 31 minutes!”

VorDaj on March 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM

VorDaj on March 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Nice. Bookmarked.

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 3:05 AM

ObamaCare is very unpopular, but Obama has delayed many of the most odious aspects past the midterms. This will ultimately kill the bill because it can no longer hope to pay for itself as envisioned – they need those healthy working people paying double for less coverage to pay for all the giveaways.

But Bachmann probably has a point: Obama himself, and his utter incompetency to do anything right, and his continuing embarrassments in foreign affairs and failure to heal the economy is just as unpopular as PPACA. And not getting any better – he can’t postpone the judgment on his own performance.

Adjoran on March 13, 2014 at 3:15 AM

McCain Heads to Ukraine with Seven Other Senators; Let’s Hope They All Stay

“Here’s the question of the day: What can senators John McCain (R-Az), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) do for Ukraine?

The answer of course is simple: Nothing.

So, why is that group of eight senators wasting money going there? The only possible answer is some combination of arrogance, political foolishness, and support for warmongering.

Actually, I am all in favor of sending McCain, Durbin, and the rest to Ukraine, provided they stay there.

I will even do a fundraiser on this blog to pay for it. Should insufficient money come in, I would pay for the tickets myself.”

VorDaj on March 13, 2014 at 3:19 AM

McCain Heads to Ukraine with Seven Other Senators;

VorDaj on March 13, 2014 at 3:19 AM

OH, For The Love OF….SWEET BLISTERING, JEEE-ZUS!!!

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 3:24 AM

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 1:46 AM

I’m also younger than my husband-by 11 years-but even when I was in my 20s…
You’re better of w/ out her. Just sayin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

…..I know you’re right……..I’m just so crippled inside…..to quote John Lennnon….

…..and I still smiled at that picture………

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 3:28 AM

2m
Update: Death toll following building collapse in Harlem rises to 5 as another body is found – @ABC7NY

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Hopefully McCain is going to the Ukraine as the pilot.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM

williamg on March 13, 2014

…appreciate the post I saw from you…and one from Axe…on the Shad!…had to read it a couple of times …it was so good!

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Hi, Schad. :) . . . that’s all. Just Hi. :)

re. “Where’s?” — all I can say is no man in the history of the world has worked this hard to go buy two orders of fish and chips.

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 3:46 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Thanks. :) –I liked G’s sentiment as well.

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 3:48 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Thanks. :) –I liked G’s sentiment as well.

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 3:48 AM

*Grinning* *Bowing and Snapping Head In Cocked Humility* “You!…..You Guys, You Guys!……….

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 4:00 AM

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Did you go to England for those fish and chips? Hey, RWM lives in England.

O_o

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 4:21 AM

9m
Fire department spokesman confirms a 6th person dead in Harlem gas explosion – @AP

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 4:22 AM

I’m prolly the most smoochable blogger on the Internet. Certainly I can’t brag about my writing.

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 4:24 AM

SparkPlug on March 13, 2014 at 4:24 AM

This is how you know you have a friend:

Email, Axe to MG: “You see? She smooched the hell out me. Unmitigated smooching. OMG! I. Love. That.”

MG to Axe: “Yes, Axefellow, I saw! I’m very happy for you. :)”

^ Person not annoyed and responding w/high-five = friend.

*Fictionalization of actual email exchange. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. Any resemblance to actual people or events is purely coincidental. Neither Axe News Service nor its subsidiaries warrants this post in any way, including applicability for any particular use, as allowed by law. This post not available in Kenya, Hawaii, or Illinois. No animals were harmed in the creation of this post. Post rated MA for language and brief nudity. (C) 2014 Axe News Service, a division of Throw diesel on it if it won’t burn by itself, Inc.

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM

K. And then there were (n-1). :) BBL, HA. {{{{{RWM}}}}}

*power off*

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM

– Besides deleting the email (albeit against most natural tendencies) What Else should one DO in a case like this?

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Apparently this is the thing to do now. It depends on how you feel about this woman. If you don’t really care tell her it’s inappropriate and go from there. If she thinks you’re a hopeless prude you’re dating the wrong kind of girl. Find some older ones. They have more in common with you.

crankyoldlady on March 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Was missing jet HIJACKED? US officials fear MH370 was captured and flown to mystery location after debris seen at sea is ruled out and new data reveals it was airborne FOUR HOURS after vanishing

US investigators examining whether flight was taken to another location
Officials suspect data from engines suggests plane flew total of five hours
Counter-terrorism officials concerned pilot or someone else turned off transponders
Four more hours of flight time would allow the plane to fly 2,200 nautical miles
That would put Pakistan and the Arabian Sea within reach
Malaysia Airlines previously said the Rolls-Royce Trent engines stopped transmitting monitoring signals when contact with the plane was lost
On Wednesday the Chinese government satellite imagery was released which showed the ‘suspected crash site’ of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
Blurry images appeared to show three large pieces of debris – the largest of which is 78-feet by 72-feet
Vietnamese and Malaysian aviation chiefs ruled this out and said no plane debris was found at spot shown by China’s satellite images

dmacleo on March 13, 2014 at 6:15 AM

Only 66 here. Too cold. I went out, brought my applehead in and put him in bed.

Lanceman on March 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM

66! Geez, my cat goes out when it’s in the zeros. He wants to. Refuses to stay in.

crankyoldlady on March 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

5m
read more on kxan.com

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Heard about that last night…more details. This A-hole is being charged with 2 counts of capital murder. A press conference will be held in Austin at 10am.

“Two people were killed and 23 others were injured when a suspected drunk driver fleeing arrest drove his car through temporary barricades and into a crowd of people leaving a musical performance at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Tex., police said early Thursday.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo told a news conference that a man and a woman were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident, which happened at around 12:30 a.m. Acevedo said the two people who died were on a moped that the motorist hit along with pedestrians who were leaving a club where a concert had been held. Neither victim’s identity was released.

Acevedo said that of the 23 people injured, five were critically hurt. Austin Police Lt. Brian Moon told the Associated Press that most who were transported to local hospitals had minor injuries.

The chief said that the driver, who has not been identified, will be charged with two counts of capital murder in connection with the deaths, as well as 23 counts of aggravated assault with a vehicle. Acevedo said the man also struck a cab before jumping out of his car and trying to flee on foot. Officers shocked him with a stun gun and took him into custody.

South by Southwest, an overlapping set of music, film, and emerging technology festivals, has been held in Austin every year since 1987, and traditionally draws thousands of people to the Texas capital.

The street was full of concert-goers just minutes before the tragedy, but officials had moved some people onto the sidewalk due to the presence of a fire lane.

“We had a large crowd,” Acevedo said. “I just thank God that a lot of the folks had already been pushed on the sidewalk or this could have been a lot worse.”

Acevedo asked witnesses and those who may have taken video to contact police rather than post their footage to the Internet.

Police said the man pulled into a nearby gas station in a silver Toyota sedan after an officer working a drunken-driving patrol tried to stop him. He wove his way through a series of parked cars, then took off at high speed the wrong way down a one-way street. He took a right turn on Red River Street, crashing through a barricade and narrowly missing a police officer who was standing guard.

He hit some of the victims in front of The Mohawk, a local club hosting Spin events during the five-day music conference. He continued down the street where he struck and killed the two victims on the moped and then hit the cab before finally crashing.

Officers had closed off a two-block section of downtown Austin and continued to investigate into the morning. Acevedo said there were no plans to change safety protocols at the festival due to the accident.

“We do these events very well, but you cannot stop a person who rather than face drunk driving charges decides to speed at a high rate of speed, go around a uniformed officer forcing him to run out of the way, then at a high rate of speed show total disregard for the sanctity of human life,” Acevedo said…”

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Obama Surgeon General Nominee Developed His Gun Hatred From Cartoons

President Barack Obama’s nominee to serve as the U.S. surgeon general, a 36-year-old physician who has attracted criticism for his anti-gun advocacy, complained to a newspaper in 1994 that ‘society’s preoccupation with firearms’ comes from ‘fiery gun battles’ on Saturday morning cartoons.

Dr. Vivek Murthy, who founded Doctors for Obama in 2008 – a group that later changed its name to ‘Doctors for America – was a graduating high school senior at the time, one of several valedictorians the Miami Herald interviewed.

‘Vivek Murthy, 16, of Palmetto High, takes television cartoons to task’ for ‘the growing problem of kids and violence,’ according to the Herald.

‘Today, a typical elementary student wakes up on Saturday mornings to fiery gun battles, explosive scenes of terror and the violent decimation of the “bad guy” – all this in a children’s cartoon,’ Murthy said then.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Gee…I wonder if Eric Holder learned about White Privilege from Three Stooges Re-runs?

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Hey, I learned how to paint tunnels watching The Roadrunner!

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Wow, there is a LOT of rationalizing going on for Democrats.

So much the better. You keep thinking you’re winning while you are actually losing. That way you won’t even takes steps to improve your positions.

Now if only people would wake up to just big a failure that SCOAMF in the white house is.

deadrody on March 13, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Unbelievable!

IG report: EPA employees used federal charge cards for gym memberships, gift cards

“The EPA did not provide effective oversight to ensure that purchase card holders and approving officials comply with internal control procedures,” according to the report, entitled ”Ineffective Oversight of Purchase Cards Results in Inappropriate Purchases at EPA.” Seventy-five of 80 reviewed transactions were not in compliance with EPA policies.

“Of $152,602 in transactions we sampled, we found cards and is considering $79,254 of prohibited, improper and erroneous purchases.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Bishop said adios last night…

If you’re taking a break Bishop…take some shiner bock…it’s good on a hot day and spring is coming.

And don’t stay away too long.

: )

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

It’s time to put inspiration, ingenuity, and integrity over incumbency in the GOP.

- Sarah Palin

My take: Time is Running Out on a Desperate Obama. Who Will Thwart His Plans? Conservatives, if Allowed to.

kingsjester on March 13, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Wow, there is a LOT of rationalizing going on for Democrats.

deadrody on March 13, 2014 at 6:50 AM

The Democrat Party isn’t dead, it’s just resting!

Seriously, Dem candidates are going have to figure just how much they have to embrace the suck of Obamacare and how much they can wiggle out of responsibility for having voted for it and defending it these past four years.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM

kingsjester on March 13, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I think it less who will thwart his plans as much as it is that the lazy stupid rat-eared wonder will simply cease to have any credibility.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM

kingsjester on March 13, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Good article.

Cruz looks like Dale Robertson in that cartoon.

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Hey, I learned how to paint tunnels watching The Roadrunner!

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Marvin the Martian taught me foreign relations…

*snicker*

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Thanks. Yeah, he does.

kingsjester on March 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Kids just have to stop watching those violent cartoons like Bob the Builder and Max and Ruby.

crankyoldlady on March 13, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Remember folks…we are in the best of hands…

“David Howden, blogging at the Mises Institute, is all upset over the global debt of . . . $100 trillion:

Global debt now exceeds $100 trillion, according to the Bank of International Settlements. Over the past five years, debt has increased by about $30 trillion. What’s more, governments have been the largest issuers.

Low interest rates have attracted governments to the appeal of using debt to fund public projects today. As the saying goes, there’s no such thing as a free lunch. At some point this debt is going to become due. At best all these governments have done is shifted expenditure forward by taking from future generations and giving to the present ones.

The magnitude of the indebtedness is what is striking. The $30 trillion of new debt issued over the past five years represents the full output of the American economy for two years. Even ignoring interest payments (which even at low interest rates are fairly hefty on $30 trillion of principal), this is a phenomenal obligation to have to pay back.

. . . .

Over the last five years the press has been full of discussions of austerity. Allegedly, governments have scrimped and saved to get by. Now we find out that we are collectively $30 trillion more in the hole compared to where we were when the recession began? If this is austerity, I’d hate to see the alternative.

(H/t Tom Woods on the Peter Schiff show.)

The gloom and doom crowd will note that a global debt of $100 trillion is $14,000 for every man, woman, and child in the world — including countless millions of Africans who live on less than two bucks a day, for whom $14,000 represents the sum they could live on for 30 years. The gloom and doom crowd thinks such sums cannot be repaid, and never will be repaid…”

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:22 AM

sink lost because she didn’t attack those far right christian nuts for trying to take away your freedom of choice
-chris matthews

renalin on March 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM

-chris matthews

renalin on March 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM

In other words she didn’t use the right inflammatory rhetoric. Maybe she decided to try to come off as normal.

crankyoldlady on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 AM

-chris matthews

renalin on March 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM

“I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.”

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 AM

-chris matthews

renalin on March 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM

……Not just a river in Egypt.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 7:30 AM

“Dem Rep. Tim Ryan: Hey, Let’s Raise The Minimum Wage To $14 An Hour!…

And while we’re at it, lets give away free “closed for business” signs….”

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:34 AM

1m
Another body pulled from rubble of East Harlem, NY, building collapse; death toll now at 7, fire department says – @NBCNewYork

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Lena Dunham threatens to quit acting…

Is that what that was.

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Hopefully McCain is going to the Ukraine as the pilot.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Snort

katy the mean old lady on March 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM

And while we’re at it, lets give away free “closed for business” signs….”

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 7:34 AM

But…but…..but…..think of how many people would be raised out of poverty! Don’t you think that minimum wage should be $30,000/year????????

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Hopefully McCain is going to the Ukraine as the pilot.

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Or they book seats on Malaysian Air.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Is that what that was.

Lanceman on March 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM

But it wasn’t porn because it was for HBO.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2014 at 8:02 AM

williamg on March 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM

crankyoldlady on March 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM

My first thought was to ask williamg to send it to me before deleting….then my second thought was nah……..might be a picture of my wife! Okay…..bad joke, but the wife laughed when I told her what I was typing.

In no way am I a prude, but not sure I would care to get that type of text. Have to wait and see I guess. Had a joke about tube socks, support, and bras….but the wife said no to that joke. Dang young women telling me what to do all the time!

HonestLib on March 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM

LOL Check out who got the “Bishop” on this post.

Flora Duh on March 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM

LOL Check out who got the “Bishop” on this post.

Flora Duh on March 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM

lol

Hope Bishop’s hiatus is a short one…

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Did anyone see this on Special Report last night? So very sad but I have to wonder would any other network give this kind of tribute. Go to the end and hear the song.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Did Bishop really sign off? We need to picket him.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Did Bishop really sign off? We need to picket him.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Look on page 1 of the thread.

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I am incredibly sad.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I am incredibly sad.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Axe posted his 2013 adios in this mornings first post…so maybe it’s just a hiatus?

Threads won’t be quite the same…he’s really funny but hopefully he’ll be back.

: )

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Sometimes people just need to take a break…like RWM did.

: )

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I hope so, it’s coming up on Spring, he can get out with his kids and have a life but be back in the fall for the hard core griping.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Is Hot Air upgrading servers or something? I am getting the craziest messages and sometimes my answers appear before the questions someone asked me? Haunted?

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Yep. Its a real mess. Ed said they are working to fix it. Hopefully soon. ; )

Bmore on March 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I am about to take another break if they don’t sync the servers…

OmahaConservative on March 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I am about to take another break if they don’t sync the servers…

Dupe comment

OmahaConservative on March 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM

workingclass artist on March 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Hmmm, I think I would like my break without back surgery. I am sort of doing that by actually sleeping at night instead of the QOTD. But boy, I sure miss the partying.

Cindy Munford on March 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM

“No mention of saving the environment, truecon creep” — leftist

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM

VorDaj linked a cool news aggregation site, above.

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

HonestLib on March 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Did you see my note to you in the QotD of March 11?

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Hi Axe. Congratulations on your leap ahead on your work project.

The fictional MG posted, here, about it.

Thanks. :) –I liked G’s sentiment as well.

Axe on March 13, 2014 at 3:48 AM

Some commenters sent to Ed. Thank you both, and all who cared.

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

HonestLib on March 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Did you see my note to you in the QotD of March 11?

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yes I did my friend and thanks. Hey, I knew you would understand some of my posts about said event, even though a few members scratched their heads wondering what in the world was I typing!!!!

HonestLib on March 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM

HonestLib on March 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Should be clear to any thinking head.

Cheers, friend!

Schadenfreude on March 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM

2m
Death toll in New York City building explosion rises to 8 as another body is pulled from rubble – @ABC7NY

Murphy9 on March 13, 2014 at 7:19 PM