Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on March 11, 2014 by Allahpundit

Let’s be honest, there’s a lot of space between McCain and Paul, and I think we would probably agree that when it comes to style, temperament, etc., Cruz is a lot closer to Paul than he is to McCain (remember the whole “wacko birds” thing?) During his CPAC speech, for example, Cruz praised Ronald Reagan and Ron Paul for being the two candidates who attracted young supporters. (His mention of McCain was less positive. “Of course, all of us remember President Dole, President McCain, President Romney,” he said.)

So basically, the Cruz strategy is to get close to Paul, while still staying toward the middle of the field. If you care about small government, both guys are good. Want to take on Obama? Check. Don’t like drone strikes, want to close the IRS, hate ObamaCare? Check. Check. Check.

But Cruz is making a bet that Paul’s more libertarian positions on issues like non-interventionism aren’t a mainstream opinion. So he will set up shop just on the other side of Paul. Anyone who says, “I really like Paul’s position, but I think we need to stand up to Russia,” now has a home. Or the guy who says, “I hate drones, but I don’t want Iran to go nuclear,” has a candidate.

***

Paul’s touchiness is more interesting than his argument. Noting that Reagan sometimes did dovish things does not weaken Cruz’s (obviously correct) contention that Reagan was more hawkish than Paul is. While Russia was planning to move into Crimea, Paul was warning that U.S. officials should not “tweak Russia all the time” and should instead “be respectful.” Other Republicans have not said anything similar, and it is difficult to imagine Reagan — who believed it was important to call out the Kremlin — saying it either.

So why doesn’t Paul just say that circumstances have changed since the 1980s and our policies should change, too? Why does he protest when someone points out the obvious?

I suspect Paul’s problem is simple: For all the talk of rising Republican isolationism, he knows full well that he is an outlier in his party. That’s why Cruz’s mild words of differentiation have such sting.

***

His best chance of making headway in a presidential race is to leverage the trust conservatives have for him on domestic issues to make his foreign policy views easier for conservatives to accept. If it’s him debating foreign policy with the likes of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie or other figures favored by the party’s establishment, it would be much easier for Paul to muddy the waters. He could essentially argue, “Of course, big government establishment RINOs would smear my foreign policy views, because they’re frightened of having a true conservative win.”

That’s much harder to do with Cruz in the picture. Cruz has at least as much credibility as Paul with the conservative base — if not more. Whether or not Cruz runs, having him in the media amplifying the criticism of Paul’s foreign policy views would make Paul’s already difficult job of trying to appeal to a wider electorate that much harder. He cannot dismiss Cruz as just another establishment RINO trying to sabotage the candidacy of a genuine conservative. Anything Paul does to assert that he really believes in a strong role for the U.S. in global affairs risks alienating his father’s energetic supporters, who favor a more restrained foreign policy. Anything he does to shore up support among this core group of his father’s supporters would then feed into the criticism being lobbed by Cruz…

My working assumption has been that Paul isn’t a serious threat to be the GOP presidential nominee in 2016, and his recent dust-up with Cruz only reaffirms that view.

***

Paul has attempted to associate his foreign policy with the realism of Henry Kissinger. It is not a good fit. Realism has generally asserted the need for a strong executive in conducting global strategy. Paul apparently believes that U.S. presidents can’t be trusted with sophisticated weapons lest they kill Americans in cafes. His approach is not realism but non-interventionism. His libertarian foreign policy holds that America is less secure because it has been “too belligerent” and that decades of international engagement have both corrupted our constitutional order and corrupted other nations with our largess or militarism. This perspective sometimes overlaps with foreign policy realism but only in the narrow cases when both recommend disengagement. Paul has a trumpet that only sounds retreat.

For a while, it seemed that Paul’s views were sweeping the GOP. Now we are witnessing the beginnings of a backlash to his backlash, aided by Vladimir Putin. Americans may not have suddenly developed a keen humanitarian concern for Ukrainians, but a revanchist Russia is the type of threat that has mobilized conservatives in the past. While a “let them fight it out” argument may play well concerning Syria, a “let Putin get away with it” argument is a harder sell. The partisan momentum in the GOP is no longer entirely on the side of disengagement. Across the party, a Reaganite critique of Obama’s foreign policy stirs…

Paul is left to insist, “I’m a great believer in Ronald Reagan.” This amounts to a serious concession, since Reagan would not have returned the compliment.

***

Cruz, who sees his Republican colleague from Kentucky maintaining his popularity with the conservative base, is trying to use foreign policy as a way to gain favor. But that’s not necessarily the best idea. He should have asked Marco Rubio.

One of the bigger flops at CPAC was the Florida Republican, once seen as a young conservative darling who could win with wide appeal. Today, though, he’s but a blip on the radar after isolating many conservatives with his work on immigration reform. Attempting to win support back, he went on the offensive with foreign policy…

And how did it pan out for him? He finished in a very distant seventh place at CPAC, with only 6 percent support. For someone who got second place last year, that’s quite the disappointing finish. His speech did not work with that audience (the message could resonate with voters outside of CPAC, like his action on immigration).

Now Cruz is attempting a similar strategy. But if Cruz wants to stand apart from the front-runner, he needs to find another issue. He won’t win with this one.

***

[W]hile some Republicans may prefer tough talk about Putin or the ayatollahs to Paul’s more nuanced commentary, there is an obvious reply: rhetoric aside, what would a Cruz or a Rubio really do differently? Such rhetoric matters, of course, and there are usually non-military options available, like economic sanctions.

But Paul’s critics should be obliged to tell us if they want war against any of the half-dozen or so countries whose governments they castigate. If not, does their position really differ that much from Paul’s? If they do, is Paul really the Republican holding a non-mainstream opinion?

If Reagan is the golden mean, which countries did he invade to set in motion the end of the Cold War and the toppling of the Berlin Wall? And which of the limited interventions he did support, besides Grenada, are still counted among his crowning foreign-policy achievements today?

***

Like Christie, Sen. Ted Cruz also portrayed himself as an outsider fighting timid forces in Washington while looking for a way to win. In his telling, too many gutless Beltway insiders followed the “Washington way” of compromise and calculated triangulation. That way, he said, was a surefire path toward policy failure—and electoral defeat. “You want to lose elections,” he said, “stand for nothing.” Cruz provided a 10 point list to help explain what he stood for: repealing Obamacare, repealing Dodd-Frank, stopping presidential lawlessness, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, and ending corruption all made the cut. Cruz nodded to expansions of school choice and energy production, as well as defending the Constitution, but mostly it was a rundown of specific things he opposed.

Strangely, Cruz also seemed to suggest that part of the party’s problem was its insufficient criticism of President Obama’s agenda. After highlighting the electoral failures of Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney, he asked: “The Obama agenda has been horrible for people, yet how many Republicans said that?” Well, Romney, for one, whose speeches often accused President Obama of having “crushed the middle class.” If there’s anything that virtually the entire GOP has been clear about for the last five years, it’s that they don’t support President Obama’s plans…

Of the Republican party’s rising stars, only one has made a serious attempt to reflect that impulse, at least in spirit, if not always in the particulars: Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.). His CPAC speech opened with a subtle counter to the partisan victory cheers of his fellow headline speakers, asking the audience to briefly imagine a future in which liberty is once again paramount in American politics. “You may think I’m talking about electing Republicans,” he said. “I’m not. I’m talking about electing lovers of liberty.” In other words, what Republicans need isn’t a vision for the party, and ideas to run on. It’s a vision for the country—and ideas to make it happen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The 1980′s Sylvia (no not the same singer)… A Popcountry crossover hit:

Sylvia “Nobody” 1983

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I shook Humphrey’s hand once. I was young. Didn’t know him from Adam but I happened to be downtown and people were standing along the street and I joined them.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Ha! Mike Dukakis once tried to shake my hand!

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Speaking as someone who’s been on the receiving end of that hammer-the way the mods apply the bans is BS! There are trolls that should’ve been banned a long time ago-but trolls bring the hits.
It’s much easier to go after commentors like Schad, Carbon…and others.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Captain Kangaroo was a national program. Like Howdy Doody and Mickey Mouse Club.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I have memories of watching Mickey Mouse Club in HI back in 1959-1960…

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:10 PM

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM

And Bozo.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Hall and Oates–Love Train

KCB on March 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM

It’s much easier to go after commentors like Schad, Carbon…and others.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

They want to give the libs slack. Just like ANY Salem organization.

Seriously, Salem is a crap RINO D-List radio network that PRETENDS to be Christian.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I was 13 when that came out. It’s one of the few C&W songs that I like.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Bozo’s were local, the Capt. was national.

RickB on March 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I don’t know about Bozo being “local”–as I recall, the show originated in Chi-town and the one televised from NYC had something like “Larry Harmon Productions” at the end.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

cozmo on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I caught on a long time ago.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Ha! Mike Dukakis once tried to shake my hand!

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

If Dukakis hadn’t been such a twit I could have felt sorry for him. He had dumb people and bad luck. He rolled into Pittsburgh the very day Art Rooney, iconic owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, died. Poor guy was relegated to a back page.Then he turned up at a factory where he complained about all the Japanese owners of factories and somehow didn’t know the factory he was standing in front of was owned by the Japanese.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Hw about Captain Chesapeake? Ch.45?

I boinked his grand daughter. They were our next door nieghbors.

Angela Dawn. She was 18(by a couple of weeks), then I headed to boot camp.

That Westerly sailboat? I bought it from him.

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

FINALLY!

You are catching on.

cozmo on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I am sick of this sh!t. Because without us Hot Air has NOTHING.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM

LMAO, And there’s QOTD….

NativeTexan on March 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Kringee is my dog. It’s his fifi name. His real name is Truelove Kris Kringle Bell. He was a Christmas gift from my hubby. Truelove is my last name (really) and Kringee’s mother’s name is Tinkerbell. Covered it all for his AKC registration.

kringeesmom on March 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Oh! You know? Knucklehead was Knucklehead’s dog’s name! If you remember Knucklehead. She was a former commenter here.

Kringeesmom has got it goin’ on

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I was 13 when that came out. It’s one of the few C&W songs that I like.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:11 PM

This one is infamous in my area… Filmed in my hometown (in Ashland’s beautiful Paramount Theater) and the crowd were all Kentuckians…

Billy Ray grew up one street over from me in Flatwoods, KY!

In my shameful past, I ran the McDowell Elementary 1980 “Re-Elect CARTER” campaign with his sister Angie… Their father (Ron) was our State Representative at the time.

Yeah, I haven’t been a Democrat for over 30 years…

Billy Ray Cyrus “Achy Breaky Heart” 1993

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Hw about Captain Chesapeake? Ch.45?

Must have been local.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, well, Dukakis had a way of stepping in the du caa-caas…

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

It’s much easier to go after commentors like Schad, Carbon…and others.
annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Yeah, you weren’t banned because you lobbed a personal attack on anyone, but because of silly political correctness. As for Shad, he can contact the HA PTB and see if things can be smoothed over.

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

If Dukakis hadn’t been such a twit I could have felt sorry for him.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

During his concession speech, I shed a tear.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

The asylum is restless tonight.

MT on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

The Capt Kangaroo chick was a local news anchor in Baltimore. I’m pretty sure.

I was on the show once. But too young to rememher it.

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:16 PM

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Yeah, well, Dukakis had a way of stepping in the du de caa-caas…

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The asylum is restless tonight.

MT on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

A disturbance in the farce.

KCB on March 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Yeah, what the heck? If we’d lost the race the chocolate bunny would be walking his last mile to be sure.

I think we’re being punished.

hawkdriver on March 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM

You’re right! How many Paul v. Cruz threads must we endure. Can’t we just have a little Humpbot to celebrate win.

kringeesmom on March 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Wait! WHAT? Schadenfreude banned? When?

herm2416 on March 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Laughter?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM

herm2416 on March 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Yesterday, on the TEMS thread
. First comment.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Sure is a whole lotta sturm und drang goin’ on around here tonight about the missing sturm und drang……

can_con on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Laughter?

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM

No. I actually felt sorry for him. Being such a big guy and him being, well, a shrimp, I just felt bad. I apologize to the shorter fellows here. I could never be short, myself. I’d have to compensate with an actual personality.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

This is probably bannable: Salem Radio SUCKS! It’s not much more conservative than Lena Dunham and “Girls”.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I think it was local Bozos, though I don’t recall from experience. But we had tons of local kid’s shows in the 60s, as any good-sized broadcast market did.

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I was lucky–NYC came in clear, but Philly was snowy.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I remember Knucklehead….. I had a a Hot Air sabbatical.. then lurked, then jumped back into the fray.

Thanks for the linky!!! Made me smile.

kringeesmom on March 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM

cozmo on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I KNEW George Michael had a stand-in!!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

We had Ricky and Copper. A lady with a red dog. Josie Carey was on PBS. Her show was where Fred Rogers got his start.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I dated a chick named May Love once..

And boy did she. she was 35, I was 25.

Umphhh.

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I must atone for posting Billy Ray (as an Ashlander it’s hard to live down) by posting Weird Al’s brilliant parody!

Weird Al “Achy Breaky Song”

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

KCB on March 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM

But Star Wars Day is still a couple of months off!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I was lucky–NYC came in clear, but Philly was snowy.
Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Too bad you couldn’t get a signal from the upper midwest so you could watch a Scandinavian guy in his treehouse!

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

We had Ricky and Copper. A lady with an Irish setter. Josie Carey was on PBS. Her show was where Fred Rogers got his start.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM

maddie, did you send me an email?

hawkdriver on March 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Weird Al

“Another One Rides the Bus” 1981

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Weird Al “Achy Breaky Song”

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Shouldn’t you also apologize for all the Judds.

RickB on March 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I can’t hear the Billy Ray version w/o hearing this one.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Weird Al “Achy Breaky Song”

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM

All About the Pentiums” — still my favorite I think.

29Victor on March 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Now I’m getting duplicate notices. Time for bed. Some aren’t here tonight.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Good night COL!

KCB on March 11, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Shouldn’t you also apologize for all the Judds.

RickB on March 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Yes. The Judds “Why Not me” (they are from Ashland, Ky like me)

The main street by my house is US 23. Known as the “Country Music Highway”. I HATE most country music!

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Niters and sleep well, COL!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM

” (they are from Ashland, Ky like me)

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM

`

And ‘rat whackjobs to boot.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM

ConstantineXI

This is MY hometown. I cast my first vote in that church.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Another Kentucky country group (one I actually liked)

Kentucky Headhunters “Dumas Walker” 1989

They weren’t really country, more Rockabilly.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I come from an age of rabbit eared black and white Gilligans Island. Little Rascals. Three stooges.. rotary phone.

Yet they had a clock on the screen, so I could walk myself to achool on time.

I must have woke up pretty early to wauch cartoons before school.

Bugs bunny on Saturday before chores.

Tarzan, Abbott& Costello, planet of the apes on Sunday morning.

John Wayne movies in the afternoon.

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM

And ‘rat whackjobs to boot.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I actually attended Ashland Community College one year Ashley Judd did.

/yecch.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM

“Creature Feature” on Saturday nights!!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Ashley Judd is NAMED after the city I was born in… Ashland, KY.

/triple YECCH.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM

There was a clown show on local TV in the mid 60′s in San Diego. And a robot show in Seattle around ’68 or ’69.

kringeesmom on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I remember K-Tel records…

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Ha!

And do you remember Popeil Pocket Fisherman??
Think that was sold by Ronco.

ToddPA on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

None of This is funny anymore………….

williamg on March 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I cast my first vote in that church.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM

That’s where ‘reverend’ Wright said “Naw! Naw! Naw! Not God bless Amerikkka! God Damn Amerikkka!…”

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM

And do you remember Popeil Pocket Fisherman??
Think that was sold by Ronco.

ToddPA on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Yep! And it was, too!

Can’t forget having a colour TV and having to call the TV repairman to come out with his big round magnet and demagnetize the screen…

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Your point? You also like Lubbock.

cozmo on March 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Well, compared to Illinois…..ALT is right to like Lubbock.

Who is John Galt on March 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I actually attended Ashland Community College one year Ashley Judd did.

/yecch.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM

She was cute on that one episode of TNG.

Then she went ugly like all ‘rat broads end up doing.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM

My dad is from this county… Johnson County, KY.

Steve Earle “Copperhead Road”

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM

She was cute on that one episode of TNG.

Then she went ugly like all ‘rat broads end up doing.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM

She’s an example of a woman who would have kept her beauty if she HAD gotten married and had kids. God would have blessed her.

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Wynonna is attractive. But I like thicker broads myself. Nunna that skinny shit for me. I guess the ugly is directly proportional to the aaaaaaactivism.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I am to understand that someone let their personal influence them over their professional and acted on it?

Way to inspire loyalty. (Is that ban-worthy? Anybody have a handbook for the newbies?)

battalion on March 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Unban schaudenfreud!!!!!!

Appeal to hot air management to let schaudenfreud back!!!

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM

And I remember the Kenny Everett Video show.

Oh, and I was watching every episode of Prisoner in order last year. Up to # 173.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Gordon Lightfoot “Sundown” 1974

(one of the earliest songs I remember from AM radio)

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM

80s Techno.

hawkdriver on March 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM

A bathroom gift for you, Lanceman

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM

You will love this one:

Wynonna “No One Else On Earth”

Yes, I liked her too. An Ashland girl :)

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Good night gang.

ToddPA on March 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

“The Herculoids” was one of my favourite cartoons when I was a kid.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM

ToddPA on March 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Niters and sleep well, Todd!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM

kringeesmom on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

The late 60s were the waning years of the local kid’s TV shows.

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Color,, Land of the lost. Sleastacks.

I had a 1656 Farmall Cub that would run backwards if it backfired when you started it.

And a Gravely. Stevens 20ga. single.

I think I was richer then. Maybe not in possession, but content.

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Closing with Kentucky’s most important musician… He only INVENTED a whole genre of music…

Bill Monroe “Blue Moon of Kentucky”

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM

We got our first color TV in 1972, was surprised the Wizard Of Oz was in color! You got some Canuck or Brit blood in you (“colour”)?

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM

The late 60s were the waning years of the local kid’s TV shows.

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:41 PM

For sure! Things sure went downhill from there, especially when the PC chit started getting aired during the 1980s…

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Nope. That’s University Park(prior to early 1984 Park Forest South) Illinois.
It started out as a nice, racially-integrated, middle-class neighborhood. After the city-projects were closed, the former residents swarmed to the far south suburbs. UP is full-on ghetto now. Almost all the communities in the far far south ‘burbs are ghettos-or ghetto/barrio. if you’re not a black LIBERAL-you have no voice there.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Pure American Heinz 57, Cat–the spelling is just an eccentricity.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM

unban schaudenfreud!!!!!! Appeal to hot air management to let schaudenfreud back!!! portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I did. I sent williamg’s post, because he said it best.

I thought it would appeal well.

I sent it directly to Ed.

No reply.

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM

battalion on March 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Don’t associate the undocumented with anything but terra firma.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

A bathroom gift for you, Lanceman

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Rosa de Lauro has to be the ugliest hag. Even over Hitlary.

Who remembers this show? Or this one?

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Ted Cruz is a rising star brightening.

McVain is the dirty codger Ruth Buzzi used to beat with her purse on Laugh-In.

viking01 on March 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM

As would I lol! Not a Debbie Boone fan, sorry!

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM

And, yooooooo light up my life…

Groan, indeed.

Resist We Much on March 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM

The look on her face was pretty funny. We are teasing her right now about Justin Beiber since last year she told us she would be loving him forever and ever. This year the bloom has worn off.

kringeesmom on March 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM

He was impolite to one of Ed’s friends.
Do you really except a reply.
*glare*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Pure American Heinz 57, Cat–the spelling is just an eccentricity.

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I also caught the “favourite”, lol.

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Not me, but this was one of the last ones I watched before I moved down to FL

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM

wolly4321 on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM

He was impolite to one of Ed’s friends.
Do you really except a reply.
*glare*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Please be cautious twerp…

oscarwilde on March 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Wynonna “No One Else On Earth”

Yes, I liked her too. An Ashland girl :)

ConstantineXI on March 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I think I read somewhere that she and Ashley are only half-sisters. That explains much.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Not me, but this was one of the last ones I watched before I moved down to FL

Newtie and the Beauty on March 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM

It’s on ME-TV or Antenna TV these days.

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM

And do you remember Popeil Pocket Fisherman??
Think that was sold by Ronco.

ToddPA on March 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I’m fairly sure that’s what the interns called Bill Clinton.

Or was it Pocket Pool Player?

viking01 on March 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Thanks and duly noted. It will probably be a short stay then.

battalion on March 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I was long outta high school for those – bet my nephews/nieces saw them tho.

whatcat on March 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Jesus, honkycat, I thought I was old!

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM