Pew poll: 61% of Republicans under age 30 support legalizing gay marriage

posted at 4:41 pm on March 11, 2014 by Allahpundit

In case you were wondering why CPAC was so light on traditional-marriage rhetoric from the podium, here’s why. An event populated mainly by young conservatives and libertarians isn’t a good venue for that anymore.

You’ll hear more of it, I’m sure, at the convention two years from now. But at the rate we’re going, probably not too much more. Where will the 30-49 group be in 2016?

ssm

The most striking numbers there, actually, are how small the differences are between various Democratic age groups. It’s an astounding consensus to have 18-year-old and 65-year-old Dems both above 60 percent support and within 15 points of each other on a practice that was barely on the cultural radar 20 years ago. Makes me wonder how many senior-citizen votes the GOP picked up over the last decade as the 65+ demographic sorted itself out. And how many younger votes it lost.

Pew’s not the only pollster lately showing majority support for gay marriage among young GOPers, either. A few weeks ago, the NYT/CBS poll found 56 percent of Republicans under the age of 45 in favor of legalized SSM. (Just 29 percent of Republicans age 45 or older agreed.) That’s a rare case of sharp disagreement on an issue among different conservative age demographics. The same poll found the two groups within five points of each other on guns, abortion, the minimum wage, and ObamaCare, The only other prominent outlier was — ta da — marijuana legalization, where 43 percent of younger Republicans support legalization versus only 28 percent of older ones.

Exit question: Given Republican sensitivity to changing demographics and the fact that millennials might be more gettable next time than last, is there a single major 2016 candidate who’s likely to spend much time on gay marriage on the stump? The only one I can think of is Huckabee, who may calculate that his only path to victory is consolidating social conservatives. Everyone else, including social cons like Cruz and Rubio, will probably take a federalist approach to traditional marriage.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 8

Sorry, I didn’t realize how the link worked. Didn’t mean for the entire text to be the link. My bad.

Baggi on March 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

That attitude may save us all

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Except it doesn’t really exist outside of a few issues. This country does not have a bright future.

DisneyFan on March 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Seems to be working…I look kinda blurry in the mirror.

Mimzey on March 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I always love when I laugh out loud – while sitting alone in my office.

Thanks

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I take it you like the idea of designer babies. Disturbing.

DisneyFan on March 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

For years, the Gay lobby has been pushing the “we were born this way. We can’t help it”.

So, if we found a cure for Homosexuality, I would suspect the Gays would WANT the cure, don’t you?

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Well, looks like we’re gonna need to re-educate the little pukes, starting with human history, the purpose of sex, and the purpose of a rectum.

We can thank the “progressives” for this.

RobertMN on March 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I see what you did there. You reduced the relationship among same sex partners to nothing but sex without doing the same for heterosxual couples.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Heterosexual sex matters to the state because it can and does create a child.

melle1228 on March 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Homosexuals have co-opted a number of words, “gay” and “queer” are pretty much dead except to signify homosexuality. Why must they have “marriage” as well?

kim roy on March 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Because if you don’t give it to them, they’ll be waiting for you at the bus stop to take your lunch money.

Bullying works.

CurtZHP on March 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM

And, of course, now we are told that bossy should be a banned word because female snowflakes don’t aspire to run the world from their sixth-grade desk or something because being called bossy is mean.

The thought police are not stopping with just gay, queer, or niggardly. Now bossy (the word not the behavior) is in the crosshairs of political correctness.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Why should the government license a private sexual relationship. What makes gay sex so special that it warrants benefits?

melle1228 on March 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I’m opposed to elevating “the (domestic) relationship among same sex partners” to ‘normal’.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Marriage does. That’s why people support SSM. A gay women will never get married to a man (- nor would you want your son to get married to a woman, who can never love him!).
Thus a strong society recognizes that and allows her to form a lasting relationship with a woman she can love. Then when she’s older or going through poor times; she’ll have a family and partner to rely on instead of sucking it off government.
ZachV on March 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

More likely, if she lied to marry a man, she’ll lie to marry a woman, too.

Isn’t it hilarious how gay bigots like ZachV always blunder into admitting that gays and lesbians are selfish and malignant liars who will lead people on to get what they want and will deliberately lie to get marriage benefits?

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I take it you like the idea of designer babies. Disturbing.

DisneyFan on March 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

The reality is that as a Christian, I cannot square the idea of being ‘born a sinner’ (yes yes, I know we are all sinners, etc… but I mean being born FORCED to sin, basically). Therefore I do not believe it is in any way ‘genetic’ or biological. To me it is merely a fetish, like any other.

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Allah, it may also depend on if Kennedy’s inevitable deciding vote on some of these appeals comes out prior to the election. It could be entirely moot by then.

cdog0613 on March 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

This is very true. SSM could be the law of the land as early as June 2015 if the Court takes it up next term.

DisneyFan on March 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM

DisneyFan on March 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM

If so many support it, why do the supporters have to keep pushing it through the Courts?

melle1228 on March 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM

The youth of today have a strong libertarian “Don’t tell me what to do” streak,

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

That attitude may save us all

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM

jake, don’t confuse the absence of discipline in the early years with an independent mind later on. It’s not independent thinking here, it’s herd mentality.

Cleombrotus on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Yeah, I hear you, but that’s where we lose votes. It’s the very definition of ‘bigotry’ unfortunately.

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I take it you like the idea of designer babies. Disturbing.

DisneyFan on March 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I’m with you portlandon, but that idea is going to run SMACK into an analogy of the X-Men III movie.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Folks, DO NOT TRUST PEW. Pew is the most corrupt and politically biased of all the pollsters.

Pew admitted years after the fact that they used push polls and skewed populations to make it appear that the public wanted campaign finance reform. Congress used that bad information to push through bad law, -McCain-Feingold.

They are probably trying to do the same thing with gay marriage.

slickwillie2001 on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Heterosexual sex matters to the state because it can and does create a child.

melle1228 on March 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM

You were just advocating the reasonable position that the state should get out of the marriage business. But now you are arguing the opposite. Furthermore, marriage is about more than producing offspring. It can also be useful for such things as promoting monogamy and securing rights to property and medical decisions.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Never ceases to amaze me how the only one’s around here that endlessly drone on about gay sex and sodomy…are heterosexuals.

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Too bad there’s no cure for stoopidity…

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I think you might be right. Ironically many non-gay activists are as much behind this movement as the gay populace itself.

Freaking-rabble-rowzers my Dad used to call them.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

No doubt about it. Liberals are using the homosexuals to further their own hatred and biases when it comes to things like the church. And, of course, the homosexuals get all the blame if things blow up like the backlash from forcing photographers and bakers to provide services to gay couples as they plan their “wedding.”

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Cleombrotus on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Good point – thank you

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

The youth of today have a strong libertarian “Don’t tell me what to do” streak,

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Then they should all be conservatives. It’s not the conservatives who are telling people what to eat, what words are to be banned, demanding our children not draw a gun in a cartoon, what kind of lightbulbs to use, what kind of energy to use, what kind of Christmas songs can be sung in school performances, demanding that crosses honoring the war dead be cut down because they are “offensive”, etc, etc, it’s the liberals who are the behavioral fascists .

Mimzey on March 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Barbra Streisand, it is.

We are NOT losing votes there, and it’s NOT “bigotry” to state and/or claim homosexuality is abnormal.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

61% of Republicans under age 30 support legalizing gay marriage

Most kids (people under 30) have little experience, not much wisdom, & they lack knowledge.

That’s why they tend to be Democrats.

itsnotaboutme on March 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Certain cultural trends aren’t just ‘fashionable,’ they’re realities. Support for marijuana, SSM, to a lesser extent abortion, those are things that large majorities of the country are beginning to support. If we were to extrapolate those trends based on the population aging, we can expect 70% and higher support for them in 10-20 years. How will ignoring that save the Republican party? I think all of it needs to be framed as ‘states-rights’ issues, and get the feds out of it. That way if grandma and grandpa don’t like pot, gays, etc… they can vote to make it illegal in their little town all they want, without sabotaging holding the presidency, etc…

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I was willing to follow your point until you said “abortion” because

a) polls show support is on the DECLINE and OPPOSITION is in the majority and

b) If we had just thrown in the towel on it we would wouldn’t be in the position of an increasing majority agreeing with us.

The thing is there is a difference between taking a position that is principled and one that is pragmatic. I try to make every policy position one of principle, with a willingness to be convinced or to compromise when it makes sense. A pragmatic pro-lifer will take a 20 week ban or rape exceptions because that’s what we can get, but won’t ever agree to switch to a pro-abortion platform.

There is no victory in having people agree with you because you have switched your position to the most popular.

MC88 on March 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

ONly 60% under 30. That won’t stay 60% as they age, get married and realize that it’s not really about love and sex. And I thought it was supposed to be overwhelming with the menials. 60% isn’t overwhelming . THat looks like a number that can swing 10-20 points back in a decade. I’m surprised after the genYers on here kept writing like it was 9/10 kids supported SSM. pfffft – this battle isn’t even close to over. I’m quite surprised by this poll. Especially when you consider that an under 30 who disapproves may very well, in this environment, just say they approve to a pollster.

One of the key reasons for marriage(in the context of an oath before God) is to keep couples together – to keep the man from abandoning his responsibilities. It’s not about romance and happily ever after or ,as the gays might say, re-affirming the love one feels for his/her partner. That’s the 2d, adolescent and immature view.

BoxHead1 on March 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

When you were stating your own preferences I had no problems with what you said, even though I disagreed. However now you are going against demonstrable facts as evidenced in part by the poll this thread is about.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

If need be. I hope that just being a solid parent with solid values and good kids will prevent that need.
But I take your point.
jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

And yet you support the “equality” organizations that say not allowing your fourteen-year-old daughter to have sex with an older lesbian in a public-school restroom is homophobic and makes you a bad parent.

Young voters in 1969 were overwhelmingly in favor of free love and communes too. Guess they were right, huh?

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Too bad there’s no cure for stoopidity…

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Were you born Gay, or is Gay a decision you made?

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

… and most of those heterosexual posters are Baby Boomers too.

Go figure that they’re the generation that wants the play by play.

ZachV on March 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Except that they don’t drone on about gay sex and sodomy. It may come as a shock to you but most people don’t care who the hell anybody else beds. It is the demand that we all accept same sex marriage as equal to real marriage that sparks the debate.

Again, since you are more than a little dense, nobody cares who you bed and that isn’t what HA discussions center on. Sorry if that bruises your ego and/or over-inflated sense of place in the world.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I support that? News to me. BTW – I am strongly libertarian.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Too bad there’s no cure for stoopidity…

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I’m guessing you weren’t around in the 70s when 2nd wave feminist recruited lesbianism so heavily.

When did those “born that way” studies come out again? And was there ever one that conclusively confirmed the theory that homosexuals are indeed born that way?

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’m sorry, nullrouted, but, clearly, you haven’t thought this through all the way. In the first place, cultural trends, while realities, are by definition, what’s currently fashionable. Secondly, if these trends continue, it won’t matter if they’re decided at a state level or a national level – the mindset will be the same.

I take it you lean Libertarian. My problem with you guys is the same as with the younger generation. In the absence of moral absolutes, the dominant philosophy becomes, “Don’t tell me what to do” but in the absence of moral absolutes no one knows WHAT to do.

Cleombrotus on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

melle1228 on March 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Not sure I speak for melle’, but I’m advocating that homosexuality NEVER be accepted as ‘normal’.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Civil Unions accomplish the same thing.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 P

well said

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I always love when I laugh out loud – while sitting alone in my office.

Thanks

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I know what you mean. I seem to be talking to myself more lately too.

Mimzey on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Too bad there’s no cure for stoopidity…

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

There are cures for both.

There are many ex-homosexuals (despite the idiotic, desperate attempts by the homosexual lobby & leftist governments like CA’s to prevent their cure), & there are many ex-fools.

Too bad there are so many of both who either don’t want to be cured or don’t believe there is a cure.

itsnotaboutme on March 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

That’s not my bag on this issue, but since you singled it out, if that’s not the difference between straight and gay, what exactly is it then?

We have no genetic proof, only guesswork. And yes, save some mid-90′s findings, it’s all been guesswork.

So if it’s not sexual arousal, and we have no genetic recognition, what is the difference that calls for legislation?

budfox on March 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Here’s a thought. Perhaps, and I think it likely, that our genes contain a proclivity to sexual preference but no more. Just as our genes contain a proclivity for alcoholism. One needn’t be an alcoholic because of their genes but they are more likely to become one than those without that genetic make up. Furthermore, the field of epigenetics provides some insight in to how our environment actually programs our genes as we develop further muddying those waters. So I would reject your black/white gay/straight gene theory.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

… and most of those heterosexual posters are Baby Boomers too.

Go figure that they’re the generation that wants the play by play.

ZachV on March 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM

And of course, these are the ones who have to show their “pride” by stripping off their clothes and having public sex.

Your whines about other people being obsessed with gay sex would make more sense if your entire identity wasn’t tied up in showing your “pride” with public sex fairs.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Yeah. Us “Breeders” better get busy with our Heterosexuality so you Gays can have children to adopt, or better yet to have children born gay so your numbers can grow.

Right, Jetboy?

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Civil Unions accomplish the same thing.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

So you want to argue about what the marriage contract is called?

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM

If they found the genetic cure for Homosexuality, should it be cured?

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Kinda depends on what “it” “is”, doesn’t it?

It’s not a race or a gender.

It can’t reproduce genetically on it’s own merits (since true homosexuals can’t reproduce normally) so the likelihood its “genetic” like race is minimal.

There are too many potential causes for it (over or under exposure to a certain agent in utreo, effect of opposite sex abuse, mental illness, personality disorder, general hedonism, experimentation, etc.).

Naturally, it’s a genetic dead-end. It’s more akin to a reproductive disability than anything, caused either by life experience (like a car accident takes your legs) or birth (like you were born without legs). It’s a natural inability to conceive due to “mis-orientation” – the sexual tools work, but they aren’t properly applied to “do the job”. Good luck plugging the male ends of an extension cord together to get a current.

And given abortion rights, isn’t that the call of the mother alone, anyway?

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I support that? News to me. BTW – I am strongly libertarian.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

LOL.

You seem to be under the strange impression that embracing the cause du jour will somehow insulate you from its effects.

Lenin called your type “useful idiots”. You refuse to recognize the danger of what you’re doing because you want to be popular.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Or mental illness (I think I can say that here without the thought police descending). People are born with schizophrenia and other mental disorders that must be managed and overcome.

I think one of the saddest thing about the celebration of gay culture is that same sex attraction is an indicator of sexual abuse as a child. Even if we grant that being gay spontaneously happens in X% of people, how many people aren’t getting help working through mental disorders or psychological issues because it’s forbidden for anyone to even suggest that same sex attraction could indicate something BAD?

MC88 on March 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Concerning people’s opinion, I usually don’t ever believe the “set in stone” proclamations by the libs,rinos and such…But when it comes to SSM, I was sold that the country would have to endure this experiment before , either a backlash occurred or marriage became a meaningless institution.

But I was fooled by the Rinos and Goproud. This poll is clearly good news for conservatives. 4/10 young republicans refused to back SSM. That’s a lot considering that if you are under 30 the pressure to conform to SSM approval must be enormous. This is not settled science yet.

BoxHead1 on March 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I’m rejecting, renouncing, and defying the ‘presented data’ as “demonstrable fact(s)”.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The Earth is flat. Got it.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

And given abortion rights, isn’t that the call of the mother alone, anyway?

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Homosexuality is a reproductive Cul-de-sac. However, modern science always finds a way of circumventing nature. So the ranks of Homosexuality will be around for good.

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Says the guy who posted nekkid pics of himself online…the irony and the skull is thick with this one.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Read through the comments at this very post…or most any gay-related post. It’s only the heteros who talk about gay sex, constantly. And then claim they don’t care what anyone does in their bedroom. It’s mind-boggling.

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

You need sex to consummate a marriage. Anal and Oral don’t qualify, legally. So how do gays “consumate” a marriage when they literally can’t? Are they denied a right to divorce on “failure to consumate” grounds? Isn’t that a denial of equal protection?

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Why do we keep getting stories of these polls–from a blog run by a Catholic no less?

And why does it keep taking judges to force ghey marriage on people?

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Well now – me (Jake-the-Goose) being accused of wanting to be popular will be news to many inside HotAir.

I take your point however – I am not making fun of it.

I’m just old enough to remember what the gay issue was for my parents generation, and what it was for their parents. Every generation has to reconcile with changing social norms – and it is always led by the young and resisted by the older generations.

I am lucky I have daughters who are now old enough to educate me about some things.

I am not bothered by gay marriage – not in the least.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

itsnotaboutme on March 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Now that’s epic-level dunce material. Dear gawd, even the dude who started Exodus International recently folded up shop, admitted he was wrong, and apologized profusely for trying to “cure” homosexuality.

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM

How many support marriage equality instead of just gay ghey marriage?

blink on March 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Come on trolls, give us an answer.

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I know this is shocking news, so please sit down before reading. Homosexuality has existed throughout human history. In fact it predates scientific fertility techniques.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Civil Unions accomplish the same thing.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

So you want to argue about what the marriage contract is called?

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM

What ‘something is called’ and ‘what something is’, is not necessarily the same thing … but it should be.

Marriage is ordained by an authority that pre-dates any government of men, and it’s definition remains “in concrete” as established by that ‘authority’, whether you believe in the fore mentioned “authority” or not.

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

And how much of that history did societies try to change the very definition of something to mean exactly what it is not?

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

A large percentage is not, and the community knows it.

The genetic issue is wrecked by the acceptance of bisexuality as equal to LG. That defies basic biology for if LG was as normal as hetero, then Bi has to be the abnormal and therefore a genetic malfunction. You’re never going to get the current LG to agree to that, because it would also encapsulate the congenital trans crew, and split the movement up into different categories.

That’s why this is all couched in emo-speak, “If a person loves someone…”, and long-term LG couples are always paraded for the PR. Once you look at the true libertine side of LGBT, you see how it blends right into the hetero deviant community. The “normal” hetero community disowns those subcultures at every chance. where poster bois like Dan Savage champion the LGBT ones.

Honestly, this is a main reason I back Rand. His father’s argument was always sound, and Rand sees it the same way. As much as I like Cruz, he has a instant reaction to fall back on Reagan/Moral Majority language, and that just will not make a dent in the arena. Look at Santorum. He finessed his comments several times over and could never get passed “gays = animals”.

budfox on March 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

How many support getting government out of the marriage busness altogether?

M240H on March 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

How many support slapping the next faux libertarian who thinks that is actually possible?

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

It happens all the time. Like when our Constitution was written, the word person meant one thing and something else following emancipation.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

LOL.

So the best you can do is to scream at me for allegedly posting “nekkid” pictures on a website….while you snivel and cower and run away whenever you’re confronted with the examples of “gay pride” requiring sex and nakedness in public.

This is what always outs you as a hypocrite, JetBoy. You scream and rant and demand conservatives live up to high moral standards that you acknowledge gays and lesbians like yourself cannot and will never follow or meet.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Gays are not tolerant to dissenting views. Sodomy is normal or you are evil!

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I would respectfully suggest you use the expression: Some gays.

Like any group – we can’t be absolute in our characterizations.

But – I do understand and appreciate the point you are making.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM

No, I don’t think you understand or appreciate the point. I’ll agree with your qualification right about the same time I stop hearing that Christians are homophobes and Republicans hate women and children. Especially since it can be shown quite easily that neither is the case.

You’ve got militant gays suing bakers — not for their views on homosexuals, but for not wanting to participate in a gay wedding — and I don’t hear the general gay population standing up for the bakers’ rights.

It’s tacit assent, and until we hear otherwise, I don’t see why the whole community doesn’t get the broad brush.

AJsDaddie on March 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

More often than not, the old resist because they’ve lessons from experience about being deceived by things in life that the young have not learned.
And as people get older, they often appreciate moral absolutes more than they did when they were younger.

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Of course it existed. A small minority of any species has abnormalities amongst them.

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

budfox on March 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Well when one denies all logic and human discernment to continue to engage in an activity that is contrary to nature and evolution, then yes, they probably are pretty close to animal.

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Wonder where this type of marriage will land on any poll:
A British woman says she has finally found the true meaning of marriage now that she has divorced her husband and married her dog.
Amanda Rodgers and her dog/wife Sheba appeared on British television’s ITV’s “This Morning” Tuesday to discuss why she decided to wed her pet in a ceremony attended by 200 people in Croatia last week, reports the Mirror.
tru2tx on March 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

If she’s Croatian that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

frank on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

T H U M Pdammit ! (I knew I should have sat down, before I read that)

Okay … evidence ?

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

portlandon on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Unless parents decide to “scrub it out” of their baby’s genetics, if it is indeed genetic. Because, ya know, “modern science always finds a way of circumventing nature”.

Normally, if you need modern science to reproduce, there is something “wrong” with you.

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Um, person has always meant person. That part of the Constitution insisted on by slave-owners was a redefinition of person to suit their evil purposes. Kind of like teh gheys now doncha think?

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM

LOL.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Yeah…”alleged”…

You’re the one in San Francisco, not me. That makes you one of them. Not me. I’ve been to two gay pride parades my whole life…one in Wash DC, and one in NYC. I certainly didn’t see anyone having public sex or strutting around naked, but maybe you go to more pride parades all the time in Frisco…so you’d know more than I would.

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Not 1. THis will be the first time the legal definition of marriage includes 2 men. And the rest of the world are not going to follow our lead, so we are pretty much doing this solo. Let’s hope it doesn’t do too much damage.

I would have not cared as much if it wasn’t for the baker,florist and probably a church near you.

BoxHead1 on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I respectfully disagree.

- Women got the vote
- Civil rights

Big changes that tore at this nations sole – yet today we cannot imagine our nation without these.

We will be ok

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Speaking as a trained historian, I would suggest that social norms still don’t allow a real debate about “born that way” vs. “learned behavior.” We have to get beyond the point where society lauds a mediocre NBA player for coming out as a brave act before any serious discussion can begin.

We are not there yet. Just before the Sochi Olympics Brian Boitano came out as gay. He’s a male figure skater with both a cooking show and a show about interior design. Not exactly a well-kept secret that he is gay. That this made news proves my point. We are nowhere close to the point where the “born that way” debate can begin.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

And yet not a single one of those civilizations, religious or not, Christian or not, has seen fit to treat it identically to opposite-sex marriage.

You can either presume that everyone who came before you was an idiot, or more likely, that it’s been tried and found severely wanting.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM

If you’re as tired as i am of having this shoved down your throat, just wait, eventually gay marriage supporters will have to explain why they don’t want polygamy or incestous marriages etc (anybody who thinks that isn’t coming is delusional), then you get to call them bigots just like they’ve called you bigots for the past 5 years or so, it’s going to be fun. In the meantime ask them why they don’t want to disenfranchise people with voter id but are more than happy to let one judge disenfranchise the millions of people who routinely vote against gay marriage.

clearbluesky on March 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Ah, but once gay marriage supporters have what they want, all of their objections to polygamy or incestuous marriages will suddenly disappear – bank on it.

Those objections are not real, they are simply words to say today to get past objections to what they want. See – they’re on *your* side on *those* marriages – trust them!

Midas on March 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

So, it’s really heterosexuals who are leading the charge for “gay rights”? Redefining marriage? Pushing for adoptions and for designer kids?” Forcing bakeries to provide cakes? Silencing opposition?

Project much?

No, it’s pushed and pushed in our collective faces, and then when we actually want to address it in depth to illustrate the problems with it, we’re accused of obsessing over it. And given that most of these counter-arguments aren’t even addressed let alone analyzed in media, news or entertainment, where else are you going to hear them?

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

… and most of those heterosexual posters are Baby Boomers too.

Go figure that they’re the generation that wants the play by play.

ZachV on March 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM

When the kweers quit trying to shove it down out throats, the issue will go away.

Quartermaster on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

sole =/= soul

And exactly what “right” are gheys gaining that they didn’t already have? Why won’t trolls ever answer this?

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

LOL.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

LOL! Was there an admission of using Grindr that I missed or something

ZachV on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

If she’s Croatian that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

frank on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

What are you trying to say?

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM

A thoughtful post

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Nutstuyu on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

This “troll” will try to answer.

Gays seeks the same right and privileges you have.

BTW – I suspect you are not a TROLL

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Right, all big changes are good. And America will always prosper.

World history proves that a great country can never fall and fail.

BoxHead1 on March 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Okay … evidence ?

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Really? Do I really need to google know homosexuality throughout human history for you? Have you not read of how common it was among the Greeks of Alexander’s time and the Rome of Caesar’s? Does not your own bible say it’s a no-no, thus proving to you, I should think that it had to have existed to be referred to as a taboo?

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

So none in Key West then? I personally saw photos from a friend’s vacation there where the gay pride parade was filled with naked attendees, some on roller skates wearing rainbow flags as capes, and yes, a NAMBLA float was part of the festivities, with nary an objection. Not a very “inclusive atmosphere” for any heterosexual. Takes a lot of mind bleach to sanitize those images.

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Yeah…”alleged”…

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Oh?

Is that what you expect from a city in which the gays wield political power?

Are you acknowledging that the gay and lesbian community, when put in charge, engages in destructive and socially-damaging behaviors?

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM

budfox on March 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I know. A lot of the pro-SSM folks are relatively young. They don’t remember the havoc wreaked back in the 70s by the attacks made on traditional values (including traditional marriage and the nuclear family unit). They don’t remember the acts of deceit that grew out that era. And many of them don’t see the connection between various “born that way” narratives/studies and the events of the 70s that prompted those studies.

As to Cruz…it depends on whether you believe that the character of the nation is no greater than the accumulative character of the individuals living in that nation. If you place character development as a higher priority that sexual development, then traditional values definitely have a positive role in society. That’s one of the “at the heart of the matter” statements that politicians, even Crux, never express.

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM

World history proves that a great country can never fall and fail.

BoxHead1 on March 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Ok – you could be right – I could be wrong.

But I have faith in this nation – I do think the pendulum will swing back to the right – I do think our children will be ok – I do think we will survive this debate and many others.

Change is always hard and difficult to accept – for most.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM

A thoughtful post

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Well thank you for that!

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Historians make the best dinner guests.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Project much?

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

You obviously lack some basic reading comprehension skills. What I said, rather plainly, is that all the talk around here about gay sex and sodomy is coming from heterosexuals. Not from the gay commenters.

JetBoy on March 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM

At this point, outside of abortion, conservatives have completely lost the social fight. Just accept it and move on. Spend time on the fiscal issues. Those actually matter more in the long run.

BigWillieStyles on March 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM

They already do.

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

No – not yet – hence this – and other debates.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Gays seeks the same right and privileges you have.

BTW – I suspect you are not a TROLL

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

They already do. As a single heterosexual male, I, too, have a right to marriage I’m not using. They have the same right, they just don’t want it. They want to create a new one, which in turn creates the same right for “me” – “same-sex marriage”. And FYI, that’s not the same as “gay marriage”.

Saltyron on March 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

lineholder on March 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Allow SSM and the next thing you know our young people will demand the right to DANCE! And I don’t mean waltzes and such but that dirty hip swiveling kind that Elvis feller likes to do.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Cleombrotus on March 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I do, and I’m recently 30 (Millennial). I have plenty of my own ‘moral absolutes’ but that doesn’t mean I want to foist them upon everyone else in society. We’re not anarchists, we just have a very short list of rules for interaction in society which boil down to basically ‘do not harm others’ and ‘do not harm others’ property’ — everything flows from there, no more, no less.

God himself gave us free will (including the ability to sin) — so who are we to try and tell our fellow man what he can or cannot do so long as it does not harm another?

nullrouted on March 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I am not bothered by gay marriage – not in the least.

jake-the-goose on March 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Were this simply about gay marriage, I would be more supportive of your position, even if I didn’t agree with it.

But gay marriage has nothing to do with gay and lesbian people marrying and everything to do with destroying religious freedom, religious liberty, and freedom of association and speech using gays as a smokescreen.

When you hear and see, as I have, white Obama Party liberals calling for the death of your family members and telling you to kill yourself for not voting for Obama, you will figure out very quickly that they do not in the least care about gay people. They treat gays exactly as they do blacks — as cannon fodder and plantation slaves to keep helpless and in servitude.

northdallasthirty on March 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM