FL-13 special election: Jolly wins!

posted at 8:51 pm on March 11, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The results are in on the toss-up special election in an extra-swingy district widely characterized as a referendum on the popularity of ObamaCare as well as a bellwether for this November’s midterms, and… Boom.

Republican David Jolly defeated Democrat Alex Sink on Tuesday in a Tampa-area House district where President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul got its first test ahead of November’s midterm elections and Democrats and Republicans spent millions of dollars auditioning national strategies for the rest of the year.

With almost 100 percent of the vote counted, Jolly had 48.5 percent of the vote to Sink’s 46.7 percent. Libertarian Lucas Overby had 4.8 percent.

Sink conceded shortly before 8 p.m.

The implications of the dueling messages for the midterm elections inspired both parties to call in star advocates like President Bill Clinton and former vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan, in addition to blanketing the district with ads, calls and mailings. More than $11 million has been spent on the race, according to the Sunlight Foundation, a nonprofit group that tracks government information.

Those are some pretty crazy cash monies for a special election, with Sink’s campaign doing the lion’s share of the spending. I don’t want to overanalyze the implications here too hard for the midterm races dotted all over the country, and it did turn out to be a tight race, but… Democrats cannot be feeling good about this. They were really gunning for a victory here to help feed the pre-midterm national narrative that, Hey, ObamaCare’s not so terribly unpopular after all!, not to mention test out some more of their war-on-women-mongering. Sink was pretty stalwart about her general support for ObamaCare (“we can’t go back to letting insurance companies doing whatever they want; instead of repealing the law, we need to keep what’s right and fix what’s wrong”), and this does not seem to bode well for them.

Wait… what?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Quite possibly the best victory speech intro ever:

“Congressman David Jolly, Come on Down!”

blammm on March 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Bump..:)

Dire Straits on March 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM

blammm on March 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on March 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM

EMBRACE THE >SUCK< – It's payback time you liberal, elitist, non-representative governing, socialist dictator-wannabe SOBs!

You thought you knew better than the majority of Americans who opposed this Un-Constitutional, nation-damaging law when you rammed it up…er, down our throats…YOU win it – not 1 Republican voted for it…and I hope this is a sign that America is going to vote every single one of you SOBs out of office! HUAH!

If / when the GOP secures the House and wins the Senate, then I hope the GOP IMPEACHES this scandalous, criminal, oath-breaking, Constitution violating, law breaking, Islamic Extremist sympathizing, communist tutored, Saul Alynski studying, racist hate spewing 'pastor' mentored, narcissistic, pot-smoking, worst President in U.S. history!!

easyt65 on March 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Sink. Sank. Sunk.

I’m not real happy with the Republicans, but we have to suck it up and support them to hold the House. God help us if that is lost. This election, even if close, helps. : )

Also with prayer and luck, we’ll see the gavel pried from Harry Reid’s hands next January over in the Senate.

PalmettoPatriot on March 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM

So, I guess Obama is going to delay another part of Obamacare after the results of tonight’s special election.

In other words, if you are a Democrat, IT’S PANIC TIME. I’m starting to think the Republicans might just pull out a bigger Senate majority then even they think they can get to.

Eastwood Ravine on March 12, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Yes, we need to boot the Democrats or of office, but that does not mean we have to vote for the POS ‘Washington Establishment’ RINOs who are openly attacking members within their own party prior to one of the most important elections in my lifetime! I mean seriously – the GOP needs to EXPAND it’s membership and base to acquire more votes, the votes needed to keep the House and take the Senate – NOT SHRINK the party by telling part of its base ‘you are not wanted, we aren’t listening to you, and we are going to focus on crushing YOU (not Democrats) this fall’. Boehner, McConnell, McCain – they are just remarkably STUPID! Whoever the GOP member is facing them in the primaries – TEA Party or not – I will vote for THEM just to get these ‘Washington Establishment’ dumb@$$e$ out of office! I have had enough NON-Representative government from the Liberals without having to put up with that cr@p from Republicans!

easyt65 on March 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Brad Woodhouse @woodhouseb

4:26 PM – 11 Mar 2014

In other words, plase don’t tie obamacare around our necks, it’s a stupid move, trust me, I only want what’s best for you!

Dollayo on March 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Sink just got over 46% in a district she carried for Governor with over 52%. That’s the real result. People who favored her for the top job in the state no longer support her. Sink is not a genius, but she is no worse a candidate than she was for Governor. Something else changed.

This district has been expected to flip when Bill Young left the seat – for at least ten years. Something changed.

Maybe it wasn’t ObamaCare. Maybe the people of Florida’s 13th are just really upset that the Keystone Pipeline hasn’t been approved, or over Syria or Ukraine. But I doubt it.

Adjoran on March 12, 2014 at 1:13 AM

And I’m still waiting for a fellow student to come forward and say how smart she was in school. Not picky–a classmate from any one of the two dozen colleges she attended will be fine.

Meredith on July 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Sarah Palin predicted in 2008 that if the United States didn’t stand up to Putin for his invasion of Georgia (north of the Caucasus, not north of Florida), Putin would invade Ukraine.

Sarah Palin had five years more foresight than the clueless Communitay Oganizah in the White House, whose college transcripts no one has seen.

Steve Z on March 12, 2014 at 1:24 AM

I don’t comment often, but I read multiple times a day. Schadenfreude is one of my favorite commenters. Maybe you can put him/her on double secret probation?

DStreete on March 12, 2014 at 2:47 AM

You need to lay off. If you were in Ed’s shoes and you asked one of your friends to volunteer their time as a guest for TEMS, you would have done exactly the same thing when your friend is attacked by an anonymous user.

blammm on March 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I respect Ed and am sure he felt compelled to do it. I didn’t see the comment so I have no context. I am merely asking for leniency.

John the Libertarian on March 12, 2014 at 4:36 AM

I think the Dems are in denial. Pinellas county went to Obama twice. Old New Yorkers move there to die. I thought Sink would win considering Jolly’s problems, especially with Paul Ryan campaigning for him. The Dems are toast even though the Repubes are so weak

Brock Robamney on March 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM

Short DWS: Losing. It’s the new “winning”.

Mr. Young, God rest his soul, kept that seat by sheer force of personality and despite changing demographics. The district voted for Mr. Obama- twice, albeit the second time by a smaller margin.

Ms. Sink has been relatively popular in Florida and lost to Rick Scott by just over 61,000 votes.

Sorry Deb, this is a microcosm of voter sentiment on a national level. The fact that past voting patterns for the district mimic other areas which Democrats need to win a majority in Congress does not bode well for the midterms. In fact, given that a quick review shows Fl-13 is actually more Democrat friendly than many of the “must win” districts in November- it’s worse than previously thought.

But I wouldn’t gloat, nor rest. We need to keep beating Democrats with a shovel in order to keep them in the grave and stop the zombie transition.

Oh almost forgot. John Boehner and Republican Leadership- please pick up the red courtesy phone. It’s common sense calling and it wants to speak with you.

Marcus Traianus on March 12, 2014 at 5:49 AM

DONT SCREW IT UP !

TX-96 on March 12, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Not impressed.This was a GOP seat and it was held by 1.5%.Hardly a sweeping victory sending the message that Obamacare will result in a GOP landslide in November.If I were a Democrat I would be relieved.As a conservative I am somewhat disappointed.

redware on March 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM

On my way to work yesterday, I was listening to Bill Bennett. The Tea Party guy from FL13 called in to tell Mr. Bennett that they had really worked hard and had boots on the ground for Mr. Jolly. Just think, Sen. McConnell, you to could have this kind of support if you did threaten people.

Cindy Munford on March 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM

redware on March 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Does Mr. Jolly have the magic word by his name? Yes he does. Do you think the five points the libertarian got would have gone Democrat?

Cindy Munford on March 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM

redware on March 12, 2014 at 8:11 AM

It’s only an R+1 district. Obama won both times in FL-13 and Sink won the district in the gubernatorial race against Rick Scott. Plus the national GOP ditched Jolly (a lobbyist) when he refused to publicly announce his support for Boehner, while the DNC went all in on Sink (with DWS even phone banking yesterday). To show you how in play this seat is, Sabato still has it handicapped as lean Democrat for 2014.

blammm on March 12, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Sink was an exec at Sun Bank before becoming the darling of Fla politics and she has the nerve to diss insurance companies as part of her, you should like what the govt does to you better than products a private business provides for you to choose to buy or not, campaign speech. Killary is pushing the keep it and fix it plan, too. Her husband will be campaigning for her as well. I’m starting to feel better about ’16.

Kissmygrits on March 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM

If / when the GOP secures the House and wins the Senate, then I hope the GOP IMPEACHES this scandalous, criminal, oath-breaking, Constitution violating, law breaking, Islamic Extremist sympathizing, communist tutored, Saul Alynski studying, racist hate spewing ‘pastor’ mentored, narcissistic, pot-smoking, worst President in U.S. history!!

easyt65 on March 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM

You need to learn to use more adjectives. :-)

crankyoldlady on March 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM

A good thing is that, even though the establishment supported him, and Jeb Bush ran lots of ads, Jolly ran on No Amnesty. And this is a very liberal district. My daughter lives there, so there will be several “Thanks for the No Amnesty, and please keep it up” letters coming his way. Hope he does keep it up. Young was good at first, but in the end he was corrupted by the amnesty devils.

memyselfni on March 12, 2014 at 8:40 AM

DWS: The GOP underperformed tonight

BRAD WOODHOUSE: In FL13, if best GOP does is win a close race in a seat they’ve held for 58yrs it doesn’t bode well for making ACA a signature issue.

LOL.

It’s hardly a surprise that “Republicans fell short of their normal margin …

JIM GERAGHTY: Indeed, as Rep. Bill Young ran unopposed seven times.

Pork-Chop on March 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM

And I thought for sure that Republicans dragging their feat on Amnesty was going to cost them this seat!

Ukiah on March 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Cindy Munford on March 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM

This is what Republicans need to do. It has always worked for the socialists. They need to get down in the dirt and work for each seat.

crankyoldlady on March 12, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Ukiah on March 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Maybe the “Republicans” were dragging their feet but maybe Jolly didn’t. Was he against Amnesty. Sorry, not paying attention.

crankyoldlady on March 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Every now and again, just when I’m ready to write off the central and southern parts of my state, they go and pull something like this out of the hat. Congrats!

Now if we could see about getting Allen West back in and DWS gone…

USNCVN on March 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I blame the Koch brothers.
/s

MJBrutus on March 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM

easyt65 on March 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM

You need to learn to use more adjectives. :-)

crankyoldlady on March 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Yeah, like this.

OccamsRazor on March 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM

DWS’s “democraticrapidresponse.com” is just a fancy word for knee jerk. Emphasis on the “jerk”.

DimsdalePiranha on March 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Brock Robamney on March 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM

Is it too early to call Obamacare the Democrats’ Sinkhole?

Barnestormer on March 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

pffft. Civilian operations!

hawkdriver on March 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Whew, at first my peripheral vision read that as “pffft. Civilian oversight”!

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on March 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

DimsdalePiranha on March 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

That’s the part that jumped out at me…

Midas on March 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I see very little talk about the fact that Killery’s husband went into Florida for Sink — and couldn’t get the job done. That has just gone down the memory hole, that Billy Jeff couldn’t turn the voters out.

Rational Thought on March 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I’m very glad to see this result… and for some reason, the notion of a GOP blowout in November doesn’t excite me like it used to.

Midas on March 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Woodhouse can spin all he wants. Sink herself won this district in her gubernatorial run just 4 years ago in 2010, a year that yielded a massive Republican wave across the board. She lost to a former lobbyist and first-time candidate with zero name recognition.

Caiwyn on March 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Obama personally campaigned for Sink. Slick Willey personally campaigned for sink. A massive amount of money was spent on this race – all to prevent a loss (so they could say, ‘See – no one hates Obamacare – it’s a non-issue…so (please) don’t run on that this fall’). They brought out all of their ‘A-List’ big hitters and all the cash they could afford to spend…and they lost.

For those talking about the margin by which Jolly won – what worries me a little is that Sink did not come that close because she pulled that many votes from Jolly. I am NOT worried about the ‘Sink’s / Democrats as much as I am the Libertarians.

Sink came as close as she did because the Libertarians, who hate Liberals/Obamacare as much as the GOP does, took that many votes away from Jolly. I am hoping that this is not a pattern, that Libertarians don’t divide the Anti-Obama/Liberal/Obamacare vote and take enough votes away from the GOP to cause the Liberals to be able to hold on to the Senate this fall!

easyt65 on March 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Libertarians and conservatives have been told for years to just hold their nose and vote for the Republican, because “You don’t want that other guy to win do you?”. And what has it gotten us? Bigger government, more police state powers for the bureaucrats, and less freedom in our lives.

Libertarians are being demonized as not being loyal to the GOP Party Establishment. The new meme is that Libertarians are responsible for any GOP failure, because those with the reigns of power in the Republican Party believe they can’t ever be wrong and that their opinions should override everyone else’s.

Neither libertarians or conservatives have a duty to support politicians who don’t support us. They don’t own our votes.

The idea that you have to be a face in the crowd of one of two sides, that you can’t hold your own beliefs outside the control of the elites who have divvied up the political world into two self-serving camps, is anathema to a free society.

Another Libertarian on March 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM

@ OccamsRazor on March 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM

no. those were all nouns.

a better example using adjectives would be the Chevy Chase Xmas vacation rant:

“and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, fore-fleshing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!@kless, hopeless, heartless, fat-@ss, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey s@!t he is. Hallelujah. Holy s@!t. Where’s the Tylenol?”

does it for me about the Zero.

WaldoTJ on March 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

A win by a slim 2% is not much. I suppose if you couple it with being highly outspent and in a 3-way race, that makes it more significant, but it is difficult to say how much.

I’m sure the cheer-leading propagandists will have a field day with it.

earlgrey on March 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I’m sure the cheer-leading propagandists will have a field day with it.
earlgrey on March 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Or… Jolly had to compete against Boehner AND Sink. Look here

Brock Robamney on March 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Looks to me like the “Party” tried to “Cuccineli” this guy, but unlike VA, they failed.

S. D. on March 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM

And by the “Party” I mean GOPe.

S. D. on March 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM