“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead

posted at 6:41 pm on March 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

I haven’t seen “True Detective,” actually, and I’m kind of glad because I think the weekly contrast between gripping storytelling and “The Walking Dead” might have driven me away from the latter for good. Then there’d be no grumble thread, which means I’d have to produce an extra post requiring actual thought on Monday nights.

And that’s why I’ll watch “The Walking Dead” forever.

I don’t know what to say about last night’s episode. It wasn’t a total snoozer this time: The scene where Daryl was attacked by zombies in the funeral home was suspenseful for a fraction of a second, until you realized there was no way they were going to take out a character that popular by letting him get chewed up in a basement in the middle of nowhere. That would have been shocking and true to life in the zombie apocalypse, where death would come quickly and ignominiously even to glamorous heroes. Not the way this show operates. The rest of it was paint-by-numbers TWD: A few people you don’t care about are depressed, lonely, and/or missing a dead/missing loved one; they talk a lot about pushing on or staying put or giving up; then they end up in a not-terribly-challenging zombie fight and win. I found myself astonished at one point to realize that Maggie, with whom the show’s done nothing for years except use her as a love interest for Glenn, was actually the most interesting character in the Maggie/Sasha/Bob mini-group. How does that happen? And how did they end up fighting zombies in a thick fog with near-zero visibility? If you can’t see three feet in front of you and therefore can’t tell if you’re facing one zombie or a thousand, it would behoove you to climb a tree and keep quiet until the fog lifts, no? No?

I thought Abraham Ford and Doctor Mullet, who knows something about how to stop the zombie plague, were going to drive the plot for the rest of the season when we first met them a few weeks ago, but no, no luck there either. They’ve disappeared. Better to spend 25 minutes watching Sasha and Bob argue over whether to continue on to Terminus or make camp in an abandoned town than find out something new and interesting about what’s going on globally. But at least Daryl almost kissed Beth, right? And now he’s on a mission to find her and her kidnapper, which should propel the story over the final three weeks. In theory.

Anyway. Rust Cohle is an atheist antihero for our times.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Beth finally got Darryl to have a little faith, and let his guard down. In that split second, he lost Beth, almost turned into Zombie food, and got picked up by a gang of dirtbags.

I’m thinking Darryl will never let his guard down ever again.

portlandon on March 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Yes you should talk about true detective instead because I don’t know why you watch a show you don’t like. Are you getting paid to watch it or something?

The Notorious G.O.P on March 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM

“Walking Dead”

Why does AP insist on posting about Democrat voters?

Bitter Clinger on March 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Since to seem to lack the intelligence to change the station: Are you a zombie, too?

socalcon on March 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Zombie Spartacus, make it so.

But no, just more of this, though unless the show somehow becomes bigger in scope it’s just a soap opera with a few undead from time to time and the audience is going to drift away.

Bishop on March 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM

They screwed up Daryl.

And Beth went all the youngest Stark daughter on Game of Thrones lost in the woods now.

Oil Can on March 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I skipped the entire season, but watched last night. Great episode. I guess I’m back on board.

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I this the thread about gay zombies? Am I too late? Did I miss it?

Galtian on March 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Awww, AP. It was a decent episode and I found it interesting how they are starting to come a wee bit closer to the gloom of the comics. Of course, they will never go anywhere near where the comics go.

It can’t be all knives to the eyeballs all the time.

Besides, don’t you want to know whether the cannibals grabbed Beth?

Even at its quietest and slowest, this is still miles better than 90% of what’s out there. For an hour that’s okay, isn’t it?

kim roy on March 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Rust Cohle is an atheist antihero for our times.

Well now I’m just dying to spoil the TD finale for you.

TaraMaclay on March 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Guess I’m the guy that watches walking dead hoping for a good show just like I vote for the republicans that promise to stand up against democrats

jaywemm on March 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I like this show insomuch as I do like story with my action and gore. It can’t be nonstop zombie kills and munching, and AP should know that. Besides, if you’re any fan of the Kirkman stories, you know the character development was always going to happen.

john1schn on March 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I’m always amazed on how much food is available after civilization collapse.

Now, if one survivor kills 25 zombies shouldn’t odds be getting better.

Why is Glenn the only person to figure out body armor?

Oil Can on March 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I hate to admit it, but I make sure to watch Walking Dead on Sunday rather than later on so I can read Allahpundit’s inevitable grumble thread about the show.

None of us know why he writes about a show he apparently hates so much, but it’s clear Allahpundit has a dysfunctional relationship with the show and I have a dysfunctional relationship with this blog.

Nessuno on March 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Climbing a tree? These are people who, after over a year (story time) in this situation still haven’t a clue how to fortify habitations, not even a prison that comes pretty much pre-fortified. They certainly aren’t going to figure out that they should climb tree. Or find an island on Lake Allatoona to set up home in. Or . . . pretty much anything.

Me, I woulda hiked to the nearest Walmart and made it my home for the duration. Georgia seems to be mainly woods and a few houses in this show, though.

Having said that, I never miss an episode, and I thought last night’s was reasonably good (and much better than the Darryl and Beth snoozathon last week ). After all, where else are we gonna find entertainment like this? We gripe about it a lot, but griping about it is part of the fun of it.

Alana on March 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I wish Maggie would knock her crap off already. Same with Sasha. You’d think that they’d have learned that emotion driven decision making during the Zombie Apocalypse is deadly.

portlandon on March 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Why is Glenn the only person to figure out body armor?

Oil Can on March 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

One of the things I find (almost) unforgivable.

Body armor (it just needs to be BITE PROOF ffs!) and shields. There’s a reason those things have been in use for thousands of years, from Sparta to modern riot police….

Nessuno on March 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

At this rate, AP is destined to be a miserable Eeyore for all of a godless eternity. That is depressing.

I say we take up a collection to get Lena Dunham come to his dreams, get naked and whip him while whispering sweet Megan McCains into his ear. That ought to be humpbot worthy to him, and his little Willie, for a little while.

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Zombie Eat Me Alive > Lena Dunham touch me anywhere.

portlandon on March 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Why don’t these people have guns?

Why are they using shovels?

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Walking Dead” grumble thread

FINALLY! ;0

Somebody a lot more involved with the TWD may prove me wrong but wasn’t Sasha looking to set up shop in the very same building that was part of the whole Carl going back home thing during the first part of the season?

Here’s the thing. There are only so many cans of chocolate pudding sitting around. Sanctuary or not, at some point these idiots are going have to do more than just forage for supplies. What happens, for example, when the strings on Daryl’s crossbow give out (sooner rather than later the frequency of his use).

We got some sense of putting down roots with those farming scenes at the prison but that is just food. These people find knives they don’t make them.

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

And that’s why I’ll watch “The Walking Dead” forever.

You could always hand that slot off to a random poster (everytime). Might be fun, and less tortuous on you.

nobar on March 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

They will find everything the writers want them to have.

Geeze, silly, haven’t you figured that out yet?

Besides, a nomad ought to know about foraging.

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

The zombies will eventually rot to the point that they can’t attack anymore. How long will that be? Their rotting flesh is subjected to heat, rain, snow, tornadoes, etc.

portlandon on March 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I was confused as to where Beth went. I thought Darryl said that only the front door was not blocked. Am I right to assume that the walkers were lead there by the people in the car? Why? Wouldn’t that infest their stash?

Darryl is now caught by what seems like really bad guys. I wonder where they are going with it?

In the Talking Dead show after I was really surprised by the OZ accent of the actor playing Maggie.

I’m currently on the third book in the “Surviving the Dead” series by James Cook. In my opinion it really parallels the Walking Dead series. What I like about it is that I think it gives a more realistic view of supplies and the amount of walkers there are. In the series only a few out of every thousand people survived which leave 300 million walkers in the country. He also covers the abilities of the walkers in a little move depth.

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM

You could always hand that slot off to a random poster (everytime).

nobar on March 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Um, yeah, I can see that happening.

Verby?
Libfree?
Hagfish?
lourdes?

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

portlandon on March 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

They will find everything remain ambulatory as long as the writers want them to have.

Geeze, silly, haven’t you figured that out yet?

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Why don’t these people have guns?

Why are they using shovels?

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM

No ammo. Plus it looks way cooler to see a head get sliced in half, right?

kim roy on March 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Verby?
Libfree?
Hagfish?
lourdes?

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

The cost of random is posters we don’t like. The only person who gets excluded is Meredith, since all she exists to do is say “LOL TRUCONS”.

nobar on March 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM

The Talking Dead showed a preview for next week that was interesting: little girl playing with a zombie.

Blake on March 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Blah, blah, blah, blah blah,blah blah – to the next season…ZZZZZZZ…

vnvet on March 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I haven’t watched this year.

I’m assuming the blond with crossbow guy is the farmers daughter. Are they an item now?

Is Tdog an active zombie or was he shot in the head?

Is the gov still alive?

frank on March 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

frank on March 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

no – both gay

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM

No ammo. Plus it looks way cooler to see a head get sliced in half, right?

kim roy on March 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM

300 million guns and no ammo?

It looks cooler for a while, but for a show it gets old quick. I would rather see a learning curve and a certain level of intelligence. What do they do when winter comes, farming, fuel, generators, etc. Exploring their ‘feelings‘ just don’t cut it.

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM

300 million guns and no ammo?

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Kinda’ like now.

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Is Tdog an active zombie or was he shot in the head?

Is the gov still alive?

frank on March 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Tdog was totally eaten, though I don’t think zombies can get into the skull and eat he brain, so maybe there is still something left of him chomping about. I liked him.

Michonne speared the gov and then his girlfriend delivered a head shot.

Blake on March 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

“Walking Dead”
Why does AP insist on posting about Democrat voters?

Bitter Clinger on March 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Thread Winner!

Rovin on March 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Please go away and stop watching…this thread has jumped the shark.

Allah must be feeling pressure from the cool people, so like others they have to act like they don’t like it when they really do.

Go talk about something else.

tomas on March 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Maggie speaks with a British accent. When she was a minor player, her accent was passable. Now that she speaks more often, it’s horrific. Her accent is as real as Obama’s birth certificate.

faraway on March 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM

…this thread has jumped the shark.

tomas on March 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Yet here you are…

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Anyway. Rust Cohle is an atheist antihero for our times.

But Marty Hart, a believer, got the magnificent breasts.

Blake on March 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Yet here you are…

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

See

tomas on March 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I haven’t seen “True Detective”….

You really backed the wrong horse here.
As far as last night’s episode, it was far better than last week’s which gave me cancer. By the way, are Rick and his sociopath of a son still alive? What about Rick’s baby? The problem with the show with everyone split up is that every week 2 or 3 groups of people are left off the show. It’s almost like the writers are adding filler to drag this thing out. For the love of God, someone on the show do something of note or at least try to.

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I don’t get this show.

It’s so popular.

But manages to make the zombie apocalypse boring.

And it has over 100 volumes of comics to draw on as source material.

It makes no sense.

blue13326 on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Why don’t these people have guns?

Why are they using shovels?

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM

The zombie apocalypse takes place after Chris Christie’s 1st term in office and he’s taken them all away. /s

MJBrutus on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM

If only they could find a helicopter and a warehouse full of napalm, at least one episode would be called “crispy critters”.

Rovin on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Why don’t these people have guns?

Why are they using shovels?

sharrukin

Some of them do have guns, but ammo is in short supply, especially since they abandoned the prison and left most of their weapons behind. Plus, gunfire attracts more zombies, so it is better to use quieter weapons.

My question is why so many of them use short knives that require them to put their hands near the zombies mouths every time they stab them in the head. One little slip, and you’ve skinned your hand on zombie teeth. Then it’s bye bye time.

xblade on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Blake on March 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Thanks.

Crossbow guy & the farmers daughter are gay????

frank on March 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM

frank on March 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Yup, both

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM

frank, frank frank frank frank.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM

sharrukin

I don’t think winter is ever coming, lol. Apparently it’s always summer in Georgia.

xblade on March 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM

The ultimate zombie trap :

Place a solar powered, waterproof CD player in a raft, place raft in a rain filled quarry, turn CD player on with volume set at maximum. Guaranteed to catch zombies.

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I don’t get this show.
It’s so popular.
But manages to make the zombie apocalypse boring.
And it has over 100 volumes of comics to draw on as source material.
It makes no sense.
blue13326 on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

After Season One I tuned in basically just to see the blond girl who wanted to help protect the camp die in the most horrific manner possible. Maybe that’s their formula for getting ratings: develop characters who induce blind rage at mere sight.

frank on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Apparently it’s always summer in Georgia.

xblade on March 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM

It is in Florida.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Are there no 4 wheel drives in TWD? 4WDs won’t ever get stuck on a pile of zombies. In fact, they would roll over them with ease. But with solutions like this, it would kill the show.

Truth Gun on March 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Then carry a couple of throwaway CD players and drop them so the zombies chase them rather than you.

xblade on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Gloves and a short spear make more sense. It would be nice if it looked like they were in some ways adapting to their environment.

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

The lack of budget, always hurts this show. AMC are cheeeepest bastidges alive.

If ‘Dead was on HBO and got the same ratings, you’d have World War Z scale productions pieces every four episodes.

But on AMC, you get zombies in a funeral parlor basement. As if anyone would really consider going down there in a zombie apocalypse. That’s like joining a Turkish bath house because you want privacy.

budfox on March 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I’d also like to see more zombies set on fire. They’d have to go up like kindling.

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

xblade on March 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Ummm…

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

That anaerobic decomposition turns ‘em into petroleum.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

The best part of this episode was the end where Beth was kidnapped. Surprised that it bothered me and I am looking forward to next week when Bowboy goes to camp bad guy and saves her. I think without the last few weeks of boring character focus, I would have said good riddance to her instead. With that said, its time for some real drama and surprises the next few weeks.

As for True Detective, I have not watched that show because it sounds anti conservative and anti faith from what I have read.

KMav on March 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Jeff Kober is now on the show.

Good actor. I have hopes he will make the show a bit more interesting….should last one week.

sentinelrules on March 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

KMav

It’s neither.

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

KMav on

It’s neither.

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Rovin on March 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Another episode could be devoted to the Zombie Olympics where you have different ways of killing zombies. Gold medals for bowling ball kills, tall building drops, Michael Vick’s dog vs zombies, etc.

faraway on March 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

The biggest frustration for me is the characters’ repeated failure to adapt to the realities of the zombie apocalypse. Basic things that make common sense appear to be utterly beyond them.

Couple this lack of adaptability with near-total emotional decision making, and it can be tough to watch. Even on the Talking Dead show last night, you have the characters saying that they’re trying to portray “HOPE” — which they seem to define as being able to keep the same emotional makeup that they had in the beforetime. But, there is no hope for the world to be that way.

Revenant on March 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

get Lena Dunham Megan McCain

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Interesting that those two women remind me of each other looks wise. If I was casting a movie and it called for two wicked step sisters, wouldn’t they be perfect for the roles. They both have the chunk factor, witches noses and chins and the mean jealous thing down pat.

Dunham has a quality about her that just oozes ick. Like she might have lice or something. No one on TV gives me the creeps like she does. I am glad she is who she is so I don’t feel guilty saying this stuff.

KMav on March 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Any one of the ideas presented here on where the show should go, from zombie burnings to zombie Olympics, would be a vast improvement on what we have now.

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Don’t watch HBO shows and never will as long as Mayer is on the docket…

…I’ll just watch TWD and get pissed that Darryl is dumb.

Don’t cost me extra…

ladyingray on March 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Quiet, you?

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I’m still waiting for someone to explain how zombies keep eating without ever taking a cr@p. Zombies’ stomaches would fill up very quickly on people pieces and then where would the chunks of flesh go when they tried to swallow?

blackgriffin on March 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Nessuno on March 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM

AP should just suck it up and be a zombie hunter or a duck call hunter.

He can’t.

ladyingray on March 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I just saw the last episode for True Detective (fell asleep trying to watch it yesterday). It blew chunks. Dumb.

My assessment of the series (for those who are thinking of watching it):

Episodes 1 – 5: Excellent. Gripping. A+
Episode 6: Barely maintaining. B+
Episode 7: Mouse droppings. Stupid. Disjoint. D
Episode 8: Drek. Nothing really resolved. Uninteresting. Not worth the time watching. Agatha Christie sort of story cheating. Interesting to know that you can get a hatchet buried deep in your chest and still have no problem breathing and little problem moving. Yep … F

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I liked it. Everyone’s on their way to terminus. Daryl having to hook up with those thugs was sad.

Although, Allah did make me laugh claiming he would make all the right moves in a zombie apocalypse. Anyone think he wouldn’t be dead within 5 minutes?

Dongemaharu on March 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I swear when the dude with the shotgun came upon Darryl, I thought he was gonna look up into the face of the Governor.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM

It’s very odd that progressive issues are no longer important in the apocalypse.

faraway on March 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

The ultimate zombie trap :

Maxpower on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

And just how many zombie killers do you put out of work with that approach?

You work for the Koch brothers, don’t you? ;0

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM

First everyone complains that they were spending too much time on the farm…then they are spending too much time in the Prison.

Now they are too separated. Some geeks don’t know how to be happy. Get a social filter and enjoy the show.

tomas on March 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

So many possibilities.

SeaWorld Apocalypse could have zombies running and diving in a fish tank.

New York would be performing zombie marriages.

faraway on March 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM

tomas on March 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…

You’re new here.

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I had some hopes for the show when Bull Randleman showed up, but last week’s episode was a snooze fest.

I don’t know why I keep watching, must be something subliminal hidden. Although now I just catch it “on demand” when I get chance, and sometimes even skip a week.

I think it just gets to the point where it’s fun to spend 30 minutes or so a week talking to people about how dumb the characters act, and watching the show as if Crow and Tom Servo were seated on either side of me.

reaganaut on March 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

A few random TWD thoughts:

One of those ventilated motorcycle jackets would go a long way towards protection. If it can prevent road rash, I’m pretty sure it would hold up to a zombie bite or two.

Also, how about your basic pike/spear/lance ala 300? You could strike from a few feet away and remain relatively safe. With a sharpened blade, it can be thrust or slash. It’s not like zombies try to dodge anything thrust at them.

You’d think after the first time they got scattered, they’d say “If anything happens, let’s all meet here if things ever go bad.”

After a year or so of living in the ZA, no way would anyone just open the front door without looking first after the cans started rattling.

John Deaux on March 10, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Dr. Frank Enstine on March 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM

That’s an awesome series, agreed. Some of the best post-apocalyptic stuff out there.

Mountain Man by Keith C. Blackmore is another good one.

ProudinNC on March 10, 2014 at 8:52 PM

John Deaux on March 10, 2014 at 8:48 PM

A career as a Hollyweird writer is not in your future.

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Beth who?

I could really go for seeing Lena Dunham eaten face first by zombies! Then they could move in for a closeup, and there’s a zombie munching on her tattooed arm! Make it so!

claudius on March 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Zombie Go Boom : The Double Headed Battle Axe Test!

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Anyway. Rust Cohle is an atheist antihero for our times.

Except he finds God (sort of) at the end of the finale.

Mr. Joe on March 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM

In the opening scene, Glenn and Daryl appear. Glenn in a pickup, Daryl on a chopper. When did they team up??

Last week, Daryl was with Beth and the week before, Glenn was with Abraham Ford and Doctor Mullet who supposedly had the Answer To Everything. So when did these two re-team?

kurtzz3 on March 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on March 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Because this isn’t a The Walking Dead thread.

It’s a whiny little wussie-boy thread.

Whiny little wussie-boys never care that they get 153 channels and have a DVR and most have access to “on-demand” libraries as well. It’s not about enjoying a show or being entertained or making good use of your R&R time.

It’s about finding something to whine about like a whiny little wussie-boy should. Then they all get together in a sort of whine-harmony. I think they believe if enough of them whine at just the right pitch it will bring on the Harmonious Whine Convergence, that special moment every 10,000 years when a girl might touch them, you know, down there.

Adjoran on March 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM

kurtzz3 on March 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Flashback while munching on some shrooms.

cozmo on March 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM

AP: The show Helix has a MUCH better twist from zombie-dom. Stop wasting your time on The Walking Dead.

exdeadhead on March 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Im not minding the show Its having ups and downs and They dont have weapons and ammo because Obama took them away!

ldbgcoleman on March 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM

… Daryl stabbing walkers in the head with a syringe over and over again when he’s trapped in the basement. Ha!

And about that crossbow of his being 150 lb. draw weight … as I understand it, Daryl’s using a Horton crossbow with a minimum draw weight of 175 pounds. If you’ve drawn back on a crossbow bare handed you’ll soon find that as draw weight goes up, the harder it is to draw it back and the more power it has. Daryl’s drawing back on his bow like it’s a rubber band. If anything, he’s better off using his crossbow, with its low draw weight, as a club more often (which he’s done) than as a shooting device. Otherwise, he’s just going to irritate walkers.

Of course, that’s assuming he hasn’t found a stash of meth and draw weights no longer matter since he’s coked to the gills and has super human strength.

Ruckus_Tom on March 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM

kurtzz3 on March 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Flashback to when they found Bob. AFTER they ran the governor off but before he came back as Brain Heriot.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I could be thinking of another show that I keep up with, but I think it is this one that only has three more episodes this season. If that is true, I will have to vote this season as terribly disappointing. But I will keep watching as I have become addicted.

jazzuscounty on March 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

It is in Florida.

Lanceman

It takes place in and is filmed in Georgia, unless I missed Atlanta moving to Florida. ;)

Ummm…

sharrukin

Well, I know that and you know that, but the show is in it’s 4th season and winter hasn’t arrived yet.

xblade on March 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM

I start to lose interest in a show when it becomes to predictable and looses it’s suspense (as in we knew Daryl was going to be fine, no chance of him dying) This half of the season so far has been too much soap opera, not enough action or suspense for me. I love zombies and enjoy the show, but can we get back to our regularly scheduled program please!

Annielou on March 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Edited for bad word in first attempt
—————————————————————–

Anyway. Rust Cohle is an atheist antihero for our times.

Tsk … tsk … tsk.

Never EVER trust a Leftist’s summary of ANYTHING, AP.

How have you not leaned that by now?

Nic Pizzolatto has stated in an interview the Rust and Marty ARE heroes …

… but flawed … as heroes are in real life.

Everyone who was looking for a brand new HORROR fix is going to be disappointed with the ending.

If however, you were looking for a combination of brilliant writing, acting, directing, cinematography and HONESTY about the real world … it does not get much better than “True Detective”.

How do you know a GREAT piece of work?

When quotes from the dialogue enter the mainstream narrative:

“A man’s game charges a man’s price. Take that away from this if nothing else.”

“If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.”

” … you don’t get to interrupt that …”

“Do you take me for a talker or a doer?”

“Fvck him. Good to see you finally commit to something.” (which is almost a throw away unless you are REALLY watching the show)

PolAgnostic on March 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM

I find myself fast-fowarding more and more of this show with each passing episode because of crap like this.

Bee on March 11, 2014 at 2:21 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM

As much as it pains me to say it, I’m in total agreement about the TD finale. I wanted to believe that the 7th episode was merely prerequisite–filler–I would give them that provided they produce the level of quality I’d come to expect from the majority of the season. No.

It’s almost as if two divergent screenplays were mashed together, two different tones, two different visions. In the end, it wasn’t even convincing and I find myself rethinking the whole thing. Was the brilliance of the first part of the series accidental? I find it so hard to accept that the same person who created the first portion would be content with this ending either. I didn’t expect a major plot twist or surprises—I just expected things to be believable and if ambiguous, I expected the same degree of inventiveness/depth I saw in the beginning. It was almost insulting to me, because I did have such high hopes for a satisfying finish.

You know I wanted to love it. Just didn’t happen for me. Alas!

Bee on March 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM