“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead

posted at 6:41 pm on March 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

I haven’t seen “True Detective,” actually, and I’m kind of glad because I think the weekly contrast between gripping storytelling and “The Walking Dead” might have driven me away from the latter for good. Then there’d be no grumble thread, which means I’d have to produce an extra post requiring actual thought on Monday nights.

And that’s why I’ll watch “The Walking Dead” forever.

I don’t know what to say about last night’s episode. It wasn’t a total snoozer this time: The scene where Daryl was attacked by zombies in the funeral home was suspenseful for a fraction of a second, until you realized there was no way they were going to take out a character that popular by letting him get chewed up in a basement in the middle of nowhere. That would have been shocking and true to life in the zombie apocalypse, where death would come quickly and ignominiously even to glamorous heroes. Not the way this show operates. The rest of it was paint-by-numbers TWD: A few people you don’t care about are depressed, lonely, and/or missing a dead/missing loved one; they talk a lot about pushing on or staying put or giving up; then they end up in a not-terribly-challenging zombie fight and win. I found myself astonished at one point to realize that Maggie, with whom the show’s done nothing for years except use her as a love interest for Glenn, was actually the most interesting character in the Maggie/Sasha/Bob mini-group. How does that happen? And how did they end up fighting zombies in a thick fog with near-zero visibility? If you can’t see three feet in front of you and therefore can’t tell if you’re facing one zombie or a thousand, it would behoove you to climb a tree and keep quiet until the fog lifts, no? No?

I thought Abraham Ford and Doctor Mullet, who knows something about how to stop the zombie plague, were going to drive the plot for the rest of the season when we first met them a few weeks ago, but no, no luck there either. They’ve disappeared. Better to spend 25 minutes watching Sasha and Bob argue over whether to continue on to Terminus or make camp in an abandoned town than find out something new and interesting about what’s going on globally. But at least Daryl almost kissed Beth, right? And now he’s on a mission to find her and her kidnapper, which should propel the story over the final three weeks. In theory.

Anyway. Rust Cohle is an atheist antihero for our times.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The highlight for me was when Darryl was fighting zombies in the basement, my cats knocked over something in my basement, and scared the heck out of me!!!

Oh, and Darryl should listen to Lt. Aldo Raines

ladyingray on March 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Well, I know that and you know that, but the show is in it’s 4th season and winter hasn’t arrived yet.

xblade on March 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Didn’t they go through a winter at Herschel’s farm?

John Deaux on March 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Hey, here’s a crazy idea…. DON’T WATCH IT

Amazing, I know.

deadrody on March 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Bee on March 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Yeah … It’s a shame. The series had a really exciting start and middle but it became pretty apparent that the writer was making it up as he went so there really was never much of a chance that the ending would live up to the beginning. This happens quite often. It depends, I think, on how the writer comes up with the story. A good writer has the ending down before he starts. Most writers, sadly, start, open up lots of questions and interesting lines and then figure they’ll be able to think up a nifty ending for it all, but, more than not, the story just gets away from them.

True Detective wasn’t a total loss, though. Great half-series. If someone stopped watching at episode 5, they would have seen a great series and could have imagined that they missed an ending that would have blown them away, which would have made for a very satisfying experience that left an interesting question in their own mind about how it all comes together.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you on that headline thread to go into more detail on what specifics I had issues with, with the writer. During the day I’m typing on a laptop that is a real hassle so I can only manage a few long posts before I get tired. If you catch me on the QoTD thread sometime I’ll be happy to go into more detail (if I can remember it all by then :) ).

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Best part was the spontaneous Maggie / Sasha baby arm tickle fight during TD… and Hardwick’s reaction to it. Epic.

Noncentsical on March 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

And yet again, AP applies a standard of logic and realism to a ZOMBIE SHOW, part of a genre that is long-infamous for having irrational behavior setting up a scary scene, AS A TROPE.

Just go watch Person of Interest, man. Jim Caveizel is great, and very suddenly the idea of a computer that scans all our emails and phone calls in search of impending terror attacks is no longer in the realm of science fiction, like we thought it was when the show began three years ago.

The Schaef on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

The Schaef on March 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

POI may actually be lagging in its depiction…

roy_batty on March 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM

POI may actually be lagging in its depiction…

roy_batty on March 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I think I read somewhere that they are planning to push the idea farther out, so it can be a proper science-fiction show again, which I can only assume will turn The Machine into Skynet or something, because that’s about the only place you can go from the current NSA setup, is self-awareness.

You’ll have to confirm that for me, though, cause I’ve only seen the first season so far, and even though I’m taping current episodes, I’m trying hard to avoid spoilers until I can find a way to catch up. It ain’t easy.

The Schaef on March 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Since I got a letter from Dubya and the Florida GOPers thanking me for my help in the reelection of Dubya .. I’ve known for a fact that they’re reading our emails !!

I’ve often wondered why every living soul in TWD doesn’t carry hammocks on them that they can string up into the trees, also equipped with climbing spikes and axes for access to a place high enough that a zombie can’t reach .. we know zombies can’t reason or climb .. why wouldn’t peeps take to the high ground (other than the last few episodes of them up on vehicles or containers).. why always with the ground fires and such? just askin

GKChesterton99 on March 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM

The Schaef on March 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM

This season and part of last definitely goes “there”. I won’t provide spoilers.

Noncentsical on March 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM