Video: C’mon, America, let’s ban the word “bossy”

posted at 4:01 pm on March 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

We could do that. Or we could get a bunch of fabulously successful women together — say, a former secretary of state and the current COO of Facebook — and have them reassure girls that there’s nothing wrong with being “bossy.” The tagline writes itself: “They used to call me ‘bossy’ and now I’m the boss.” (In fact, Beyonce says almost exactly that at the end here.) Intercut scenes of Sheryl Sandberg chairing a meeting, Condi Rice addressing a big crowd, Beyonce onstage, etc. Wear “bossy” as a badge of pride. Instead of “banning” the word, whatever that means, you take back its power. Instead, this.

Here’s the website, which is co-sponsored by the Girl Scouts. The easy publicity will, I trust, come in handy if/when Sandberg runs for Senate in California in a few years. At the risk of upsetting the Narrative here, we all understand that it’s boys, not girls, who are falling behind in school, yes?

“Girls outperform boys in elementary school, middle school, high school, and college, and graduate school,” says Dr. Michael Thompson, a school psychologist who writes about the academic problems of boys in his book, “Raising Cain.” He says that after decades of special attention, girls are soaring, while boys are stagnating.

“Girls are being told, ‘Go for it, you can do it. Go for it, you can do it.’ They are getting an immense amount of support,” he says. “Boys hear that the way to shine is athletically. And boys get a lot of mixed messages about what it means to be masculine and what it means to be a student. Does being a good student make you a real man? I don’t think so… It is not cool.”…

At some colleges, they’re getting so many more qualified women applicants than men applicants that the schools are doing something that might shock you.

“To make a class that’s 50/50, they’re practicing affirmative action on behalf of boys,” says Thompson. “Girls are so outperforming boys in school right now, one statistician said he took it out to its absurd endpoint and said at the present trend, the last man to get his bachelor’s degree will do so in 2068.”

Nothing wrong with teaching girls to be more assertive, but if you’re looking at classrooms for evidence of gender disparities and the one you seize on has to do with “bossiness,” not the one about a gigantic achievement gap that’s being covered by “60 Minutes” and the New York Times, you might have an agenda you’re pushing.

Exit question: Where’s Hillary? I can’t believe she’d pass on an easy self-promotion opportunity like this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wouldn’t that shut up Michelette?

Schadenfreude on March 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Let’s check with Bill Maher first.

reddevil on March 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee is kinda bossy.

butch on March 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Banning speech.

Look, they aren’t even pretending anymore!

Red Cloud on March 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Video: C’mon, America, let’s ban the word “bossy”

Stop trying to boss me around about the word “bossy”, b*tches.

jaime on March 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Big loss for Hillary

Schadenfreude on March 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I don’t think the campaign is necessarily about getting girls to do better in school. It’s about getting them into leadership positions after school.

themuppet on March 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Really? … But pretty much all of the math, physics and lesser scientific breakthroughs are still done by men. Go figure.

I wonder what sorts of classes and majors these schools have that they are jam-packed with over-qualified women and only 4 men who can make the cut? Let me guess …

LOL.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

But calling everyone with a Southern Accent a redneck is still okay, right? Or calling Romney supporters “Mitches”?

Grow up.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

OK. I’ll just start calling you b!tchy.

Mark1971 on March 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Animal Farm.

Let’s ban stupidity. I think that will work.

Oil Can on March 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

…there’s a whole lot of Democratic Women’s… they can protest about!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Moochelled is the new adjective for harridan First Lazy….

viking01 on March 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM

The irony here is amusing and amazing. But the facade is gone. How can they be taken for anything else than just another lefty group?

…I WILL need replacement cookies, however…

Ricard on March 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Maybe people will stop calling you bossy when you stop telling them what words they can use.

Ronnie on March 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Gee is she bitchy.

Whad I say?! Whad I say?!

Shy Guy on March 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Ronnie on March 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Heh.

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

This could have a double purpose.

Both Shrillery AND Moochelle are women that are called “bossy”.

ConstantineXI on March 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Ok who died and made you boss. You are being bossy telling us to ban the word bossy.

Next thing you know you will want to ban the word piker. Piker.

SparkPlug on March 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Here’s the website, which is co-sponsored by the Girl Scouts.

Why does that not surprise me?

GWB on March 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM

These women are so liberal. I wish I could just “Why aren’t you barefoot and pregnant?”. Just to rise out of them.

I’m the believer in the one income family. Kids need a parent at home, the Mom is almost always the better parent at home, but it’s different case to case.

Oil Can on March 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I’m banning the world welfare. I’m now calling it stealing. It can work both ways.

Oil Can on March 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Both Shrillery AND Moochelle are women that are called “bossy”.

ConstantineXI on March 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

i call them “weebel-ly”. And “stupid”.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Video: C’mon, America, let’s ban the word “bossy”

Why don’t you make me?

Stoic Patriot on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

In related news though I’m blessed not to have see it…

At least Lena “Buffet to Go” Dunham wasn’t Chelsea.

viking01 on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Ronnie on March 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Genius. Really.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Ronnie on March 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Close the thread.

rogerb on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

If I hear anybody from Arizona say “bossy” I’m going to boycott the state.

Mark1971 on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I always thought Beyonce is somewhat duplicitous with her “feminism.”

She does a bunch of women power music like Independent Women but then she also has song about catering to your man.

She also married and then had a kid. Shall I mention that Jay-Z’s early music was about sleeping with women and then getting rid of them. The feminist movement doesn’t have much use for marriage.

So it bugs me that so much her music is about being a independent women and in her personal life she’s a traditional married mom. Her and Jay-Z are hypocrites.

terryannonline on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Totalitarians. Maybe the Girl Scouts would be better off in a country that embraces that style of thinking, perhaps North Korea…

zoyclem on March 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee is kinda bossy.

butch on March 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee is stupid, venal, and ugly from the inside out. She remains in power from her little Houston fiefdom by virtue of her own remorseless, brutal corruption, the stunnning ignorance of her constituency, and the combination of condescension, mutually dependent corruption, and prevalent ignorance within the Democratic party.

In short, Sheila Jackson Lee is sh** with feet.

M240H on March 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Bossy Redskins!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I always thought Beyonce is somewhat duplicitous with her “feminism.”

terryannonline on March 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Beyonce is going to end up like Whitney Houston, I’m afraid. And for similar reasons.

ConstantineXI on March 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Shuck and jive!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM

ConstantineXI on March 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Nah. I don’t think so. She strikes me as a control freak. Control freaks really have no use for drug use.

terryannonline on March 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Oh for heavens sake, so what if you really are bossy? I can think of a whole lot worse things you could be called. And if other children can’t use “bossy,” they’ll come up with something. Then we’ll have to ban that.

And as one who was called bossy often as a child, I considered it a badge of honor. But then, I never played the victim or looked for excuses not to succeed.

Whole lot of stupid here. Looks like the scouts need a distraction.

soozq on March 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I am sick and tired of people wanting to make all speech politically correct. We have n-word, c-word, now we will have the b-word. There is a push to ban the word “retarded” and it is now being referred to as the r-word. I use the term retarded correctly and will not stop because some idiots use it in a disparaging manner. Now I will go out of my way to use the term bossy. Nobody is going to boss me around! And yes, I have been called bossy.

bopbottle on March 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM

If being called “bossy” dissuades you from becoming a boss you were never boss material to begin with.

echosyst on March 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Mongrel!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Pointing out facts based on gender! That’s an terminable offense!!

Kick him out of academia and make sure he’s tarred with the epithet “SEXIST” for the rest of his life!

What? How’s that? Oh yeah, I forgot… it’s OK if it’s girls looking better than boys. Carry on.

mankai on March 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Ok, how about I call you chef.

Now go fix me a bologna sammich.

BacaDog on March 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Tranny!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

This is truly pathetic … how about if instead these womyn take some time to promote a country where every little girl is not saddled with millions in leftist debt at birth, and a world where Saudi women can leave the house or drive a car. How bout that ya fools?

Whitey Ford on March 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Macaca!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

This is your brain on Liberal.

Just for a minute, stop…take a breath..and realize that these people actually believe that this makes sense. Then realize that we have given power over our lives via law and regulations, to a whole population of people in all walks of life who’s mission it is to spread this disease. They walk among us..they look like everyone else (except the Hipsters)…they handle our money..they smile at you..they serve our food..teach our children..legislate our laws…eventually they will eat our brains like zombies in the night, until all that remains is Them.

Mimzey on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

When the Girl Scouts sold out to the lesbians this was predictable. More to come.

Mason on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

If it’s that easy, let’s also ban the words “racist”, “reasonable”, “socon”, and “necon”, and a few more…

dentarthurdent on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Is this Sandberg chick so stupid that she thinks only girls are called “bossy”? Or is this just another case of “feminists” claiming that they wanted to be treated equally but then want everyone to change because this “feminist” thinks that girls can’t handle something that boys handle easily? Typical.

I really don’t get what she thinks she’s doing. I don’t think she does, either. But, it’s amazing that she has put so much effort into such an idiotic pursuit.

Sandberg might be bossy when she has a little bit of power over someone but she appears to be whiny with everyone. What a moron. A whiny moron, even.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Did they perchance mention physics and engineering? I wonder why?

viking01 on March 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Macaca!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Ooooh!! I forgot about that classic, already.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Good thing we’ve solved our debt problem, fixed our moribund economy, and solved our problems with Russia and China. /

Doomberg on March 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Liberal speech Nazis need to create some kind of banned-word weekly newsletter that we can all subscribe to online so we can keep up with which words we are not allowed to say anymore. It gets sooo confusing.

factsonlypls on March 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I would have an easier time not using the word if they didn’t come off so bossy here.

verbaluce on March 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Stupid.

changer1701 on March 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

The fact Rice would participate in this proves she is no good.

echosyst on March 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Thug!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Thug who went to Stanford!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Macaca!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I thought I heard her say “boy”. I think she spit a little too.

Mimzey on March 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Can’t ban moron, though. MSNBC would go out of business.

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM

words matter

Yes, yes they do. And you’re using the word “BAN” not the word “discourage” or “avoid” or “shun”… nope “BAN” which indicates government action to prevent speech.

Well correctly put, that’s not “bossy” as such. I agree there.
Using the government to limit free speech and civil rights is clearly “fascist” or “totalitarian” instead.

words matter

gekkobear on March 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I don’t like her bossy way of telling me to stop saying bossy. As if!

coolrepublica on March 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Good grief. Of all the problems politicians can address, they pick this? Where’s the outcry over calling a guy “macho”? Shouldn’t this be equal opportunity word banning? This is beyond banal.

scalleywag on March 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Mason on March 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Oh for Christ’s sake…
The Girls Scouts are a perfectly fine and admirable org.
I think this campaign is a little silly, but it’s not the worst thing.
My daughter’s troop has a great time going on hikes and having pizza parties along with volunteering at nursing homes and cleaning up city parks. It’s more than cookie sales – and my daughter sold the most ‘cookies for troops’, being the bossy sh*tkicker she is.

‘Sold out to the lesbians’?
You sold out to the boneheads you get your b.s. from.

verbaluce on March 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM

So “Thug” is the new N-word and “Bossy” is the new C-word? All these campaigns to “ban” words are doubleplusungood.

JimLennon on March 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Uh . . . if you want to ban the word “bossy,” aren’t you being bossy?

(Effen control freaks.)

RobertMN on March 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Dictionary.com defines “bossy” as “given to ordering people about; overly authoritative; domineering.” Most people don’t mind a boss, but can’t stand people who take it too far, i.e. “bossy” people, who try to micromanage and control every aspect of your life, like telling you what words you are allowed to use…

SLMeyer on March 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

All of the women in the vid here are highly successful.
It seems they are recalling that when growing up they were called ‘bossy’ for being assertive.
And the result of that…is that they are highly successful.

Maybe they should be campaigning for more girls to be called ‘bossy’ more often?

verbaluce on March 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Ballbuster!

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM

We really shouldn’t talk at all. It shows a kind of elitism that may make people, who don’t talk pretty, feel kind of bad. We should really get back to the natural order of things and just point and grunt using various volumes and duration of grunt. Do it out of respect for life and nature.

Mimzey on March 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Bossy: Isn’t that a pet name for a cow? Yes, I know that it is.

ExpressoBold on March 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Airhead! (That’s airism, or headism, I forget which, being an airhead and all…)

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

The pro-abortion, pro-lesbianism Girls Scouts, eh?

Unsurprising.

itsnotaboutme on March 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You’re not the boss of me!

Ward Cleaver on March 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Works for the deaf mute in the office, bless him…

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM

C’mon, America, let’s ban people that want to ban words.

Seriously, is there any practical difference between a word banner and a book burner?

Socratease on March 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Iron my shirts!

Ward Cleaver on March 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I must have missed the news that all the real problems of the world have been solved.

Chuck Schick on March 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

There is a push to ban the word “retarded”

It’s “retard” that hurts, though when I hear the Hanson brothers called “rejects” on the TV version of Slap Shot I feel a little cheated…

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM

You sold out to the boneheads you get your b.s. from.

verbaluce

A hearty get bent and a frosty mug of melena to you!

Mason on March 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Being bossy is not the same as showing leadership.

A boss is not necessarily bossy.

Bossy people want to cut off and stop all opinions and ideas except their own.

albill on March 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Okay, I won’t call you bossy, but you still have to iron my shirts…

right2bright on March 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Iron my shirts!

Ward Cleaver on March 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Sorry, didn’t see you post…

right2bright on March 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Great idea!

Oh, wait……

Synonyms.

What to do. What to do……..

er, um…….

Ban Synonyms!!!

nico on March 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM

You sold out to the boneheads you get your b.s. from.

verbaluce

A hearty get bent and a frosty mug of melena to you!

Mason on March 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM

No doubt it is indeed frosty.
Ha.

verbaluce on March 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Works for the deaf mute in the office, bless him…

cbenoistd on March 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM

How loud do you have to make the grunts?

Mimzey on March 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM

What a crock!

StevC on March 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM

What a crock!

StevC on March 10, 2014 at 5:1

Thats a very insensitive thing to say. How do you think it makes the alligators feel?

Mimzey on March 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Being “bossy” doesn’t mean that you have “strong leadership abilities.”

If you were really a strong leader, people would follow your lead without resentment. Being “bossy” is evidence of poor leadership abilities, and it is a characteristic that we should discourage.

Vera on March 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

You reap what you sow

take responsibility on March 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Gawd, will women never STFU?

Nomennovum on March 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Banning the word “bossy” is so dang retarded err gay err bad. I can still say bad right?

nextgen_repub on March 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Just watched the 2 videos. I think they should be called wimpy.
Boo Hoo. Yes I am a woman.

Barred on March 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Don’t give the NFL any more ideas.

corona79 on March 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Bossy: Isn’t that a pet name for a cow? Yes, I know that it is.

ExpressoBold on March 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

In Texas a older cow is called Bossy.I’ve heard them called that my entire life.Down here a woman’s place is in the kitchen and she should go there right after work.

docflash on March 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Vera on March 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Nice try. But you missed the point. The point is strong women should not be called names because it hurts their feelings self-esteem.

No matter how many time feminists beclown themselves, the rest of us never seem to catch on. I think it means they won. We are cowed, beaten, emasculated, and brainwashed. So, why won’t they shut up?

Nomennovum on March 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Typical: banning the word bossy, by bossy women. I’m disappointed in Condi.

My worst bosses were the kind of women who believed this stuff.

PattyJ on March 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
I really put too much effort into this post.

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Okay, instead of “bossy”, how about “domineering”?

Ward Cleaver on March 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM