Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on March 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

Every eager conservative activist who rides the free shuttle to the event will have to watch a video on the bus’s screens of a descendant of John Philip Sousa explaining why Carson is the “the only candidate who can beat Hillary Clinton” in 2016. And the first 2,000 people who check into their hotel rooms here will find Carson on their room keys. He’s on the CPAC straw poll, and his fans downstairs at the exhibition hall will tell you why he’s a mathematical shoo-in for the presidency…

It’s all the work of the National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee, which is trying to get the conservative neurosurgeon to run for president. It’s part fan club, part savvy campaign.

The case for Carson is all about math and race. Carson is African-American and his supporters think that will be his path to victory. He’s “a respected figure among black Americans,” the video explains, and if he can win just 17 percent of the black vote, it is “mathematically impossible” for a Democrat to win the White House…

“Carsonologists,” as Robinson calls the devoted fans who parse every word from Carson’s mouth like it was coming out of the Politburo, have noticed a subtle but potentially meaningful shift in his tense choice lately. Carson has gone from saying he “hopes” the right candidate will emerge to saying he “hoped” one would, perhaps indicating that he’s moving toward a run. Robinson is trying to push Carson there by sending him 4,000 petitions a week urging him to get in the race.

***

Carson did say, however, “I’ve heard from some very big donors” encouraging him to run, though he wouldn’t offer any names. He readily acknowledges that he’s not steeped in politics and would need a team with that experience to mount a strong challenge…

“I really am waiting more to see what the field looks like. If there’s somebody out there who is truly exciting people, there wouldn’t be any need for me to run,” he said.

But that hasn’t happened yet: “I think there are a lot of potential people. No one has really grabbed the imagination of the American people.”

Indeed, if the need is there, he just might do it. Begrudgingly.

“I don’t particularly want to do it,” he told The Hill, “but I would never turn my back on my fellow Americans.”

***

Carson hasn’t said anything to indicate he’s planning a run, but his supporters are optimistic. When the group first filed, Greta Van Susteren asked him if he had White House ambitions. Carson responded by describing a presidential bid as “not something I particularly want to do.” But he also said he wouldn’t interfere with efforts to draft him. For the Draft Ben Carson committee, that was enough.

“We decided that was a wink, and a pretty political wink,” Robinson says.

***

Left-wing racists are attacking Johns Hopkins University physician Ben Carson, who delivered a crowd-pleasing speech Saturday at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

The indispensable Twitchy Team collects many jaw-dropping assaults on Carson as a thinker, a professional, a leader, an American, and a human being.

Carson is an “Uncle Tom,” tweets self-described comedian Laura Levites…

Other epithets hurled by progressive bigots: “lunatic,” “clown,” “house negro” and beneficiary of the “soft bigotry of low expectations” — this last a sophistical phrase baritone Michael Ditto expropriates from former president George W. Bush.

***

In his short career as a conservative icon, Dr. Ben Carson has traveled the traditional stations of the cross. The media, surprised by his first political speech at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast, has covered his view of gay marriage (unnatural, just as bestiality is unnatural), of Obamacare (“the worst thing to happen since slavery”), of Nazi Germany (parallels to today). This has bound the movement ever closer to Carson

“One of the principles of Saul Alinsky is that you make the majority think their ideology is outdated, and nobody thinks that way,” Carson told the audience. The media had done all that, and lied about him, like when it claimed he had compared Obamacare to slavery.

“Of course they’re not the same thing,” said Carson. “Slavery is much worse. But keep in mind what happens with Obamacare,” a massive transfer of power from the people to the state.

***

***

“One of the things that is so important for conservatives — the ship is about to sail off of Niagara Falls and we’re all going to be killed. And we got a bunch of people looking over the side of the ship and they’re saying, ‘But there’s barnacles on the side; we’ve got to get the barnacles off’. Forget about the barnacles. We got to get the ship turned around first. And you know when we get through with the primary season, and your person hasn’t won — you can call them whatever you want to call them, you can call them a RINO, you can call them a teabagger — you can call them whatever you want. Vote for ‘em, OK. We need those people, OK. We need them.”

***

When asked whether he’s thinking of running for president, as many CPAC attendees have encouraged him to do, he said he doesn’t “have a desire to” do it, but does want to help save his country, which might mean an electoral run.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

If people stay home in 2016 based on purity politics, y’all only have yourselves to blame because I think that Scott Walker, on average, is a pretty solid guy overall.

He comes off reasonable, blue collar and businessman-like. I said this when he was running, but I knew that if he won, he’d be the only credible candidate.

I like Rand. Rand will not be President.
I like Cruz, but he will not be President.
Christie, Santorum and Huckabee. No.
Rick Perry is a nice guy, but no.
Walker is it. Hop on.

Midwestprincesse on March 11, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Walker won’t play outside the dairy state sweetie.

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Midwestprincesse on March 11, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Like I pointed out..He needs to win his reelection as Governor first..Then he can run..Again, I like him..:)

Dire Straits on March 11, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Walker is it. Hop on.

Midwestprincesse

Not hopping on anyone’s amnesty train. If that makes a me a purist, so be it.

xblade on March 11, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Midwestprincesse on March 11, 2014 at 3:08 AM

That’s not exactly a same winsome approach. If you like him, then describe his policies (more than image) and philosophy of governance. Be prepared to answer questions. (I’m not asking you to do this right now).

But at this stage don’t suddenly pop in and start telling people it’s my way or the highway.

INC on March 11, 2014 at 3:43 AM

19 mins ago

Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad named as Iranian teen
using stolen passport on Malaysia Airlines jet -
@BBCBreaking
end of alert

Iranian seeking asylum.

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 4:13 AM

The following are some more statistics about our “too big to fail” problem
that come from a previous article …
-The U.S. banking system has 14.4 trillion dollars in total assets. The six
largest banks now account for 67 percent of those assets and all of the other
banks account for only 33 percent of those assets.
-Approximately 1,400 smaller banks have disappeared over the past five
years.
-JPMorgan Chase is roughly the size of the entire British economy.
-The four largest banks have more than a million employees combined.
-The five largest banks account for 42 percent of all loans in the United
States.
-Bank of America accounts for about a third of all business loans all by
itself.
-Wells Fargo accounts for about one quarter of all mortgage loans all by
itself.
-About 12 percent of all cash in the United States is held in the vaults of
JPMorgan Chase.

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 4:16 AM

These are the two men who boarded the Malaysia Airlines flight on stolen passports (@AFP )
pic.twitter.com/9NYgELdg4L
3:40 a.m. Tue, Mar 11

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 4:56 AM

7mins ago

Crimea is breaking away from Ukraine, ousted President
Yanukovych tells news conference, blames his opponents -
@Reuters

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 5:51 AM

If Cruz is the nominee, I would even be okay with an amnesty squish like Susanna Martinez on his ticket. If it helps him win, then I’m for it.

bluegill on March 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Maybe I wouldn’t be okay with Martinez as the VP running mate, since she would be well-positioned to run for president later then. And I wouldn’t want an amnesty-supporting Republican president.

bluegill on March 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Sybil, is that you?

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Its hard to keep all the lies straight. Good morning Flora.

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM

the charter school crowd on morning joe is ecstatic about their diblasio interview yesterday.

charter schools to continue under moscowitz. compromise reigns.

is mika gonna be shocked when diblasio eventually closes charter schools down “for the children”

renalin on March 11, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM

Good morning. I guess we all knew it was just a matter of hours before Crimea fell to Russia – one way or the other.

Mornin’ renalin.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM

6 mins ago

Report: Malaysia Airlines co-pilot had previously let
passengers sit in cockpit during flight – @ ACurrentAffair9
read more on ninemsn.com.au
MALAYSIA AIRLINES FLIGHT MISSING, MARCH 2014
Interpol names Delavar Seyed Mohammadreza as 2nd
Malaysia Airlines jet passenger who was traveling on stolen
passport – @ BBCBreaking

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Troll(s).

“Trust, But Verify.” – President Ronald Wilson Reagan
“Trust.” – President Barack Hussein Obama

My take: Ukraine and Iran: Peace…err…Nuclear Proliferation in Our Time

kingsjester on March 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Ok, I’ve read through all the comments on this thread (sorry to hear about Shad) and I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it, so I will.

IMO, the actions and lack of governance by the boy king has assured that it will be a long time before another black man will be elected president, and that’s unfortunate.

Though I agree with Dr. Carson on most issues, I’m going to have to go with what Dana Loesch said:

“Carson’s past remarks on how gun rights should be determined by geographical location was unacceptable.”

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Mornin’, ma’am. What happened to Shad?

kingsjester on March 11, 2014 at 6:58 AM

kingsjester on March 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM

When a United States President attempts to negotiate with a tyrannical society, he is immediately at a disadvantage because dictatorships are untrustworthy by nature, as their day-by-day governance is maintained through brutality and distrust.

Well said kj.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Wll never settle again.Purists like me see deal-breaker issues when deciding for whom to vote.Once you have been burned by a candidate on an issue of such importance you see it as vital to the survival of the nation the whole “lesser of two evils” strategy is no longer an option.And it’s difficult to trust that the candidate won’t betray you down the road on something else.That’s because our conservative political philosophy serves as the foundation for determining the positions we take on important issues.

Quite frankly,the whole “stay home and you are to blame” canard matters little to me at this point.I view the nation as a train being pushed off the cliff by the Socialist?/Progressives while all the GOP does is to do the same thing,just slower.So you can blame me for staying home,but I wont help you push the train off the cliff.

redware on March 11, 2014 at 7:02 AM

kingsjester on March 11, 2014 at 6:58 AM

He got banned in the TEMS thread yesterday.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Washington Bureaucrats Issue New Policies Limiting Use of Deadly Force by Border Agents on the Ground

(2) Agents should continue, whenever possible, to avoid placing themselves in positions where they have no alternative to using deadly force. Agents shall not discharges firearms in response to thrown or hurled projectiles unless the agent has a reasonable belief, based on the totality of the circumstances, to include the size and nature of the projectiles, that the subject of such force poses an imminent danger of death or serious injury. Agents should obtain a tactical advantage in these situations, such as seeking cover or distancing themselves from the immediate area of danger.

Or even better:

Much Ado About Nothing, Act 3, Scene 3

Axe on March 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Sad to hear.

Thank you for the compliment, ma’am.

kingsjester on March 11, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM

and a fine morning to you.

renalin on March 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Axe on March 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Brian Terry weeps from his grave.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM

My simple answer is “no”. When approximately 94% of blacks
voted for Obama a second time, I realized there was a mass group thinking that had more to do with race than country. I don’t think we can have another black president until that has changed.
I feel the same about a female president. Are women going to be
so stupid as to vote for Hillary because she has a v-j-j? I hope not, however, in light of the “cult” trend….who knows. We might
also have to look forward to the push for the first “Hispanic”
president before the ship is righted.

Some think that a good percentage of blacks
will also vote for Carson. Not going to happen. And he could
not handle the pressure he would get from Sharpton and Jackson
along the running route. Of course, if he ran and won he would
be the first “official” black president; I know Clinton thought
he was the first and Obama thinks he is the first (at
50% white, 44% Arab and 6% black), however, we know that is not correct.

Amjean on March 11, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Amjean on March 11, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Are women going to vote for Hillary just because… I can only tell you what my former sister-in-law said about a woman candidate. She said we should all vote for her because she is a woman. Yes a ton of women are going to do it.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM

She said we should all vote for her because she is a woman.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Does that include Governor Palin?

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Does that include Governor Palin?

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I don’t know. This was years ago and I don’t argue politics with her mostly because we don’t communicate often. She’s remarried.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Heh, my niece and her dimbulb husband got their 15 minutes of fame yesterday.

Father chases baseball, lets wagon with child inside roll down hill (Video)

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Father chases baseball, lets wagon with child inside roll down hill (Video)

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM

That was funny. I wonder what his wife had to say.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM

That was funny. I wonder what his wife had to say.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I don’t know, but knowing my niece, I wouldn’t be able to share it here without getting banned. lol

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Heh, my niece and her dimbulb husband got their 15 minutes of fame yesterday.

Father chases baseball, lets wagon with child inside roll down hill (Video)

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM

I saw that on Fox & Friends earlier. He’s gone coast-to-coast and all around the world.

Naturally Curly on March 11, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Being female that’s the first thing I thought of.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM

My take: Ukraine and Iran: Peace…err…Nuclear Proliferation in Our Time

kingsjester on March 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM

…what Smart Power huh?…good again!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM

That guy was your niece’s husband, Flora? I saw that on my local sports news last night.

22044 on March 11, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Naturally Curly on March 11, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Oh geez. Remember, he’s only related by marriage. LOL

Seriously though, he really is a very doting father, sometimes too much so IMO. But he also really loves baseball, so I guess the lure of a major league baseball was too overpowering.

I can guarantee one thing – it won’t happen again IYKWIM. :-)

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

He got banned in the TEMS thread yesterday.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

…I’m not awake yet!..What?

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

:-(

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Here you go, KA2 (and anyone else who missed QOTD last night).

22044 on March 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM

22044 on March 11, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Yes, and the young lady holding the baby is my niece, actually, my great niece.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Shadenfreude, my friend… if you’re reading this, please contact Ed and apologize for your comment and for hurting his friend. I don’t know what happened, but Ed’s a reasonable man and so are you, and perhaps the two of you can work something out.

I’m not ready to lose your company here, Paladin.

thatsafactjack on March 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I’m finding there are more LIV on the Republican side then there ever were on the dem side. Why would anyone support a gun grabbing minority for President ever again?

My prediction: Dems win November elections by a landslide.
Reason: Republican ignorance.

Mr. Arrogant on March 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM

VERY upset to hear about Shad…
He was the 1st to greet me at HA and one of the few that had my back.

bazil9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Senate concludes all-night climate change discussion after about 14 hours and 26 minutes; reconvenes for Tuesday session – @frankthorpNBC, @edatpost

3 mins ago…

Planet Saved!!!

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM

3 mins ago…

Planet Saved!!!

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Out loud. :)

Ima go tweet that.

Axe on March 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

3 mins ago…

Planet Saved!!!

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM

And the climate breathes a sigh of relief to temporarily be spared from all the hot air emanating from the Capitol Building.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 9:11 AM

It would be hilarious to see all 14 hours and 26 minutes given a thorough fisking. I can’t imagine all the falsehoods and boohoo stories that they told last night. The party of which half doesn’t know the Earf goes round the sun once per year.

From the other thread

good God, these people are idiots.

the senator from maryland is now going off on how climate change has risen the sea level over 1.5 feet on one of maryland’s islands.

you freaking idiot ! thats erosion !

the seas levels have been measured the world over and barely moved an inch in 100 years !

and these people are now in charge of your healthcare. yes, obamacare is going to workout well.

cougar on March 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Hey, wait a minute!

The Macainiacs told us that it was ONLY John McCain that could beat Hillary.

Gunlock Bill on March 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM

…I’m not awake yet!..What?

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Read the thread…

OmahaConservative on March 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

You mean like this?

Video: Cory Booker says he ‘drove to Hawaii’ as a teenager

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Video: Cory Booker says he ‘drove to Hawaii’ as a teenager

I guess if they can walk on water they can drive on it.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Video: Cory Booker says he ‘drove to Hawaii’ as a teenager

I guess if they can walk on water they can drive on it.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM

ROTF

Axe on March 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM

You mean like this?

Video: Cory Booker says he ‘drove to Hawaii’ as a teenager

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do these people come from? My goodness…it’s just such a sad state of affairs here…

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I guess if they can walk on water they can drive on it.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM

LOL. Good one!

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I repeat something I’ve said before. Too many of that generation spent too much time sitting in the park imbibing illegal substances. They aren’t just dumb. Their reasoning is impaired.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 10:15 AM

You mean like this?

Video: Cory Booker says he ‘drove to Hawaii’ as a teenager

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He drove all the way to Asia?

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

He drove all the way to Asia?

Lanceman on March 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Yeah, you know, the 57th state, where the official language is Austrian.

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM

After reading Ed’s explanation, does anyone still think he’s wrong ?

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I have no way to know. I am sure Shchad’s comment was less than complimentary, But it takes a lot, most times, to get banned here. I would save my opinion until I have the facts.

KCB on March 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Sorry. didn’t mean to sound mean.

KCB on March 11, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I’ll have to hold it against you for at least a couple of seconds … HARRUMPH !
. . . . . okay, we’re good.

: )

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Murphy9 on March 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

You mean like this?

Video: Cory Booker says he ‘drove to Hawaii’ as a teenager

Flora Duh on March 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I guess if they can walk on water they can drive on it.

crankyoldlady on March 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM

What’s the big deal ? … Simply go requisition from Agent Q one of those really cool ‘amphibious’ cars like Agent 007 had in the movie The Spy Who Loved Me … then, drive to Hawaii … no problem !

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Can’t conservatives be any brighter than Democrats? I like Ben Carson, but seriously, how is he qualified to be President? We can do better than nominating someone based solely on the color of his skin. Doling that doesn’t work well in practice.

talkingpoints on March 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I still just cannot wrap my head around Schad’s banning. Did Eric in Hollywood also get banned today?

OmahaConservative on March 11, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Close. I dodged a major bullet, but I remain.

Somewhat humbled and appropriately chastised, but remain, I do.

:-)

Preview erase submit

kcewa on March 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Preview erase preview submit

kcewa on March 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Previously posted

kcewa on March 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM

After reading Ed’s explanation, does anyone still think he’s wrong ?

listens2glenn on March 11, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Well, yes – I guess I do. I have a different perspective, I guess. Schad was like the St. Francis of Assisi of this Blog. He always showed kindness to newbies, to people quirkiness, and was a font of of encouragement, inspiration and kind, positive words to those who plumbed the depths of this place with the right intentions and with honesty. He was sort of like The Kind Blind Hermit in “Young Frankenstein”:…….you could FEEL the kindness and soft hand on the shoulder in his interactions. People went to him in troubled times and he helped untangle troubled souls here. Nevermind the occasional depositing of scalding soup in the lap or the setting fire of one’s thumb. He radiated the best of intentions and love. Even Frankenstein couldn’t deliver him a cross word or action….though he did go storming off. If St. Francis of Assisi showed up naked in the wrong locker room, I would take that into account and assume that he got lost in his thoughts and lead him back to the right locker room…..perhaps with a strategically-placed towel. I wouldn’t ban him from the pool. But, that just my perspective – I connect the history and the behavior of consistent kindness with it.

williamg on March 11, 2014 at 2:00 AM

….please look at this again folks!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Eric in Hollywood on March 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

It’s all BS what happens to good commenters here
I really don’t care anymore. I’ll write what I chose to write.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM

redware on March 11, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Frankly I think that’s a shame, because by staying home and not voting for the least of the evils, in effect you ARE helping push the train off the cliff – the fast way. At least the least of the evils slows the train down some, and that’s better than letting the liberals/progressives/democrats/socialists/stateists (how the heck DO you spell “statist”? “stateist?” “state-ists?”) push us all off that cliff ever faster.

Rational Db8 on March 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM