Poll: 55% of Americans under age 35 oppose sanctions on Russia

posted at 4:41 pm on March 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

Striking, partly because 59 percent of the population overall supports sanctions and partly because the sanctions themselves won’t hurt Russia much. They’re a wrist slap for invading Crimea — and still, millennials can’t muster a majority in favor. Is that, as CNN suspects, simply a product of age? Younger Americans don’t remember the evil empire so maybe they’re more inclined to cut Russia some slack. Or is it a product of ideological orientation? Younger Americans skew left on all sorts of issues so maybe they’re more likely to take a dovish line on sanctions too, evil empire or not.

Before you answer, take a peek at Pew’s recent mega-poll on all things millennial. To support the “ideological orientation” theory:

social

They’re the most liberal of the four age demographics, especially on social issues. Gay marriage, marijuana legalization, a path to citizenship for illegals — you name it, millennials are softer than any of their elders. The only two (very notable) exceptions are on abortion and gun control, where they’re in line with the rest of the pack. All of which could mean that millennials are mostly libertarian, not liberal, which in turn would help explain why they’re cool to sanctions. Plenty of Democrats in Congress want to slap Russia over Crimea, but on the other (far) end of the spectrum, Ron Paul thinks it would be “criminal” to do so. Maybe we’ve got a generation rising that wants a government of “restraint” both abroad and domestically.

Or maybe not:

bigg

Fully 61 percent of millennials oppose cuts to Social Security benefits even though 53 percent say government programs for the young should have priority over programs for the old and 51 percent expect to receive no benefits themselves when they reach retirement. Puh-retty liberal. So these are just loud-and-proud lefties, including with respect to the U.S. confronting Russia, right?

I don’t know. What about this one?

patriot

The key data here isn’t the table itself but how those numbers have changed over time. Fifteen years ago, when they comprised the 19-34 age group, only 46 percent of Gen Xers said they were patriotic — a smaller number than the number of millennials who say so now. This may be a simple function of maturation, not of deep political identity. And if that’s the case, maybe opinions on sanctioning behavior like Russia’s will change too. If Obama’s critics are right, a lot of U.S. enemies are going to test our “red lines” over the next three years. The more experience millennials have with emboldened rival powers threatening U.S. interests, the more appeal measures like sanctions may gain. On the other hand, it could be that Pew is wrong and that views of patriotism aren’t fated to change over time; maybe it was the jolt of 9/11 that made Gen Xers rethink their identities as “patriots” such that, absent any similar jolts, millennials may drift on at 50 percent levels or lower. Would someone who doesn’t identify as “patriotic” be less likely to sanction Russian expansionism? Seems logical to me, but without a direct question on that point, there’s no way to know.

By the way, sanctions on Russia are the only punitive measure that drew overall majority support in today’s CNN poll. Sending economic aid to Ukraine topped out at 46 percent and canceling the G-8 summit topped out at 40 percent. Sending troops to Ukraine landed with a thud at just 12 percent.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Schadenfreude

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Meow

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM

55% of Americans over 35 love Ballet though.

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Damn man, lay off her, you are totally raping, it is a her?

You know that if you say hi to someone and they do not like you it is the same as raping them, or didn’t you get the memo, it is how others interpret your actions that matter rather than what you intend and your actions indicate that matter.

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM

She claims she’s male. But no man, or boy, for that matter, says things the way she does.

Of course, there’s always the chance I could get a nastygram. However, I cannot imagine a young democrat voter like her garnering too much sympathy. But you never know.

Who would you rather-generation wise be associated with-baby boomers…or Generation X? Uh huh. Gen X welcomes you.LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Generation hex? I think not.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

coolrepublica on March 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Share of All U.S. income taxes paid by age groups:

Under 18: .7%
18 – 26: .49%
26-35: 6.9%
33-45: 18%
45-55: 29%
55-65: 27%
65+: 18%

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/PuttingAFace2013.pdf (Page 30)

‘just sayin’….

can_con on March 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Any word yet on whether they are ever going to bother fixing this site?

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Baby Boom ended in ’63.
You’re one of US! *evil laugh*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Wrong my friend! The Baby Boom officially ended in 1964 (I think mostly because it started in 1946). I made it into the club by less than two months, which is absurd since my parents were less than ten-years-old at the end of WWII.

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Any word yet on whether they are ever going to bother fixing this site?

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Look, brothern, I am the last person to know anything around here.

And also the last to ever send an e-mail except when I see a story they might have missed.

I draw enough attention to myself without being extra obvious.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Or they don’t understand the meaning of the word “sanctions”.

That sounds like snark, but I’m serious. I think that generation is less likely to understand the question so the results may skew. Like the recent poll regarding “astrology” as science. I read an interesting analysis, citing reasonable sources, that many likely thought the question was about “astronomy”.

MC88 on March 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I am going to go mow my lawn since I have an extra hour. Plus I don’t want Sweet Pickles going off on me.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 6:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2014 at 5:57 PM

The boomers. They coddled their kids too much but look at what the Gen-Xers did to their snowflakes. The millennials graduate from college with a degree in gender studies and expect to be immediately hired to their dream job. They expect their starter home is their dream home. They expect high salaries for just showing up.

I generalize the millennials but not by much.

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Ain’t nobody sexually harassing you, sweetie.
Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Damn man, lay off her, you are totally raping, it is a her?
astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I’m all for SSM and your assumption that I am crying rape is ridiculous. I have told Danceman several times that I am not into men, but for reasons unknown, he won’t get the hint and I don’t want to pee on myself to ward him off.

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Wow, I just made it in, too.

November 4, 1964.

Bitter Clinger on March 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I think I know the problem. You see, millennials, being the most illiterate of the educated generations society has yet produced, don’t know what ‘sanction” means. They think it means the opposite of what it actually does mean in this context.

Here’s the source of their confusion. When say, the WBA, sanctions a title fight, a context with which they are familiar, that means to allow it the fight. It is legitimized. So the millennials think that the question was, “Should the US allow Russia to invade and occupy Crimea?” Should it be sanctioned by the US. And being opposed to that, they of course say No! we must not sanction the Russian behavior.

Are they that illiterate?

Yes, yes they are.

HugoDrax on March 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM

When he annexes the Baltic states we should just give him a big, wet kiss on his botoxed cheek. After all, we made them do it or something.

V7_Sport on March 10, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Basing an entire generation off of one poll and their political views – really?

Granted my generation isn’t the best, but we have been the most stressed under the pressures to succeed. I just recently graduated from college, and the roommates I had were split politically (two conservative, two liberal, one libertarian. Made for some great discussions), and each and every one of us worked our butts off to get our degrees. Now more than ever every person HAS to work their butt off to go from high school to a good college to a job. Competition has never been higher, which brings so much more innovation.

There will always be exceptions in every generation but to think we’re all lazy and pajama boys… Pretty insulting.

NotThatBillFord on March 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I haven’t yet read the thread, and will do so as time permits (I’m in my kitchen.) But…

you name it, millennials are softer than any of their elders

We have the education system to answer that. We MUST re-take education in this country–and, frankly, I don’t care HOW we do it. (ie, home-school promotion, charter promotion, etc.) If we don’t do it, screw it all.

The “Patriotic” graph is a direct result.

I don’t have kids in the education system today–my kid graduated HS in ’94. But, even then, I was all about watching the administration/teachers day in and out. I could tell you stories that would make your innards hurl in disgust. Yes, even then, back in the 80′s and early 90′s the ‘progressives’ were on the move. It disgusted me then, and it more than disgusts me now.

I’ll say this, if I had a child today–there is NO way in hell that he or she would be ‘educated’ in any public school system.

Period.

Take that to the bank.

Unlike Dogeater.

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I tend to figure it is your childish responses that keeps him picking on you. Calling someone sweetie should not be considered a sexual assault. You really need to learn some level of perspective.

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I graduated early in ’86 and I was only two years from being in the regressive school system, rather than the patriotic real one. Two years! I could not believe the stuff they miseducated the kids with just two years behind me!

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Wow, I just made it in, too.

November 4, 1964.

Bitter Clinger on March 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Hey, I was a couple weeks behind you.

Gotta ask- how are you feeling about the approaching big “50″

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM

55% of Americans under 35 couldn’t find Russia on a map.

Walter L. Newton on March 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I’m with you on that.

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Ask American financiers with lots of business and financial ties to Russia and they would also say no to sanctions as well.

uatu1878 on March 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM

What’s wrong with my age group?

He Who Some Call A Traitor on March 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM

The future f this country is extremely bleak. Nothing but a generation of girly men coming up.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Hey, I was a couple weeks behind you.

Gotta ask- how are you feeling about the approaching big “50″

Happy Nomad on March 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I’m ok with it. Haven’t given a lot of thought to it. It probably helps that my wife is a little older and has crossed that bridge already. And the cool thing is, she’ll always be ahead of me on that score. :O

Bitter Clinger on March 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

He (The Kid–he’s 38 come September, but you’d have to understand the family–and one of his Grandfather’s bestowing a sweater on him in his 3rd year to ‘get it’)–in any event I went through some kind of hell.

When he was in 3rd grade, the Public school system called me in to tell me he was ‘below his grade, could not be ‘contained’ in class.’

They ‘suggested’ that he be labled as a “special education student.” I remember chuckling at the time. This was a kid I knew long before they did. They said he should be put in a “special education” program and need to see a psychologist in order to prescribe the ‘medications’ he’d need to improve in school.

I insisted that I get the chance to have him independently tested. I arranged it that the independent tester was acknowedged by the municipal/state BOE. And, so, I did so.

And, do you know what happened?

That independent tester came back with a report that this 3rd grader had an IQ of 124. The independent tester’s summation was that he was simply BORED in public school–in 3rd grade–in the 80′s.

Needless to say, they didn’t bother me any more with ANY of their nonsense.

When parents actually parent (it doesn’t end, ever,) life is good :)

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Please get a thicker skin.. Ugh..

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Yeah, my grandmother was offered the opportunity to have me advanced three grades into my sister’s class. Just a few years made a huge difference in the education system. She refused imagining that this bullied beyond belief kid would be rejected by older kids…

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I fall into that demo (though, at 32, I’m at the high end of it).

At this point, I’m agnostic about sanctions simply because I’m not certain how well they work.

If sanctions brought about change on their own (which, I realize is not the claim here), there wouldn’t be a Castro in charge of Cuba.

Sanctions didn’t stop Saddam’s pursuit of nuclear weapons and for all the suffering of the every day Iraqis, Saddam didn’t seem to have any shortage of gold to gild his multiple palaces.

If the sanctions will help, I’m all for them.

If it’s just political theater….well, I’ve had my lifetime fill of that.

JadeNYU on March 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Maybe it’s because Russia could destroy the US economy overnight by dumping dollars?
Maybe it’s the USA started the whole Ukraine crisis in the first place with its ill-considered coup?
Or maybe it’s just because people are sick of war?

bingsha on March 10, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I’m beginning to go back to read the thread (as time permits)–k, I think I’ve caught up to page 1!

coolrepublica on March 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Please learn English. You’ve stated before you are a citizen of the USA, so why haven’t you learned to speak and WRITE the English language? Hint–you could be taken more seriously if you’d do that one thing.

55% of Americans under age 35 couldn’t find Russia on a map of Russia.

Ronnie on March 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I’d believe 55% of Millenials don’t know what the word sanctions means–whether it’s public ‘education’, common core, or elsewise.

That girl (18 years old actually) in NJ, suing her parents for tuition money, is the perfect spokesperson for the Millenial Generation.

sentinelrules on March 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM

And don’t believe for a second that she isn’t getting ‘beat up for it’ all over Jersey blogs–as well she should–and the attorney who put her up to it.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

His carbine, silly.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM

G’bless you Alt!

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Bless your Grandmother :)

She did a wonderful ‘job!’

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Neuther is B9.

But we’re still friends.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I wonder what the results would be if you asked Millenials if they would support sanctions against Russia due to its treatment of ‘Teh Gheys’?

Resist We Much on March 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

She sure did. Then I went out and ruined at least half of it by forgetting it!

Until 2006 I never had debt other than a car payment. Then i forgot it all and ended up with $30,000 in the next 6 years.

Now I recall her teachings again! Learning by living! Suffering is the consequence for not being willing to learn and remember what your elders teach you.

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Neuther is B9.
But we’re still friends.
Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

If you like flirting with men, knock yourself out. Just leave me out of it, bud.

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Neuther is B9.
But we’re still friends.
Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

B9 is an intelligent and witty WOMAN.

T.

K.

O.

Resist We Much on March 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

55% of Americans under 35 couldn’t find Russia on a map.

Walter L. Newton on March 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Worth repeating not only on this thread but this one as well.

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Neuther is B9.
But we’re still friends.
Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM
B9 is an intelligent and witty WOMAN.
T.
K.
O.
Resist We Much on March 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Gathered that. Thanks.

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

For what its worth. I have patiently tried to tell Lance you are a dude. He ain’t having no part of that. Not sure how to prove it out. ; )

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Pickle on March 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Just to reiterate what RWM stated. b9 is most definitely female. I know her.

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Kinda hard to convince someone Pickle is a dude when “he” has the sensibilities of a chick… just saying..

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

astonerii on March 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

You truly make me smile :) Further, I’m certain your Grandmother would say (with that face of hers looking down at you) “I TOLD you you’d best stay on the straight and narrow, youngun’” — God bless her.

In my view? As a parent (not yet a Grand,) it’s always better later than never. ‘Never’ can always turn into ‘sometime’ in the future :)

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Okay. I really don’t pay any attention to Pickles. I’ll take your word for it though. Pajama Boy maybe?

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

LOL- Maybe :)

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Thank you, melle. Sensibilities and speech patterns.

Unless, B.More, Pickles is yet another ‘bluegill’…

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Resist We Much on March 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Shhh, remind them of that; and they will want to invade.

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM

‘Never’ can always turn into ‘sometime’ in the future :)

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Ugh–”Later) can always turn into ‘sometime’ in the future–sheesh, I AM old :(

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Thank you, melle. Sensibilities and speech patterns.

Unless, B.More, Pickles is yet another ‘bluegill’…

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM

No problem.. I am more manly than Pickles, and I am definitely a straight woman. :)

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM

melle1228 on March 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Pickles, along with Tangles, are my HotAir girlfriends. They’re both in the cute phase, I’ll wager. And that will last as long as it did for Chelsea Clinton.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Well, ahems,…..I think that the thirty-five year olds are
not hip,
er,..up to speed with the history of the USSR!!

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Alright, I’ll defer to the two you then. Hope I never have to say I told ya. ; )

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Bmore on March 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I could tell you about the time that I was completely fooled by a tranny at Pleasure Island.

But that’s a story for KOTD.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM

And that will last as long as it did for Chelsea Clinton.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM

LOL–thanks for the laugh!

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Well, g’night, folks..time for me to spend with the man.

It’s been fun :)

jersey taxpayer on March 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 7m

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the US was the first country to recognize the independence of Kazakhstan on Dec 25, 1991.

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 1m

Make that 14 leaders. Pres Obama also spoke today about Ukraine with Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.

Retweet
Favorite

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 4m

By my count, Pres Obama has now called 13 foreign leaders to consult on Ukraine crisis. Merkel 4 times, Putin 3, Cameron 3, Hollande 2.

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 1m

In addition, WH says VP Biden, now in Chile, also spoke to Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades about the situation in Ukraine.

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Ooooh, Putin must be shaking in his ботинки! Phone calls are soooo deadly!!!

Resist We Much on March 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM

How many Millenials know what the word ‘sanction’ means ?

listens2glenn on March 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Sanctions for now are on the table, but for the crazies who want cold war 2, I say sit the F down. your time has been up a while.

coolrepublica on March 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM

f’ing idiot.
you might want to smarten the hell up and listen to us old crazies who actually dealt with this crap overseas.

dmacleo on March 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I’m 26. Its just an age thing. Remember the old Churchill quote.

NWConservative on March 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Ooooh, Putin must be shaking in his ботинки! Phone calls are soooo deadly!!!

Resist We Much on March 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Resist We Much: Lol,…[ботинки!]:)

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Resist We Much: Lol,…[ботинки!]:)

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM

AM I the only one in this dump who can’t read cyrillic?

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM

AM I the only one in this dump who can’t read cyrillic?

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Shoes.

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Shoes.

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Well, I figured that might be, but with Sophie Ro, one never knows.

Plus, when I do Spanish sentences, I tried turning my keyboard upside down to get the upside down question marks and exclamation points and it doesn’t work!

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM

There’s an App for that!

йфыцуапппротлдщнкквапеекуцпр

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM

AM I the only one in this dump who can’t read cyrillic?

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Lanceman:Could be, haha:)

canopfor on March 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM

There’s an App for that!

йфыцуапппротлдщнкквапеекуцпр

sharrukin on March 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Nah. That would be too much trouble. Extra clicks an’ shit. Plus, I ain’t bookmarkin’ it. Got too much pr0n bookmarked as it is.

Lanceman on March 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I’m 32. Most of my generation and younger are just plain ignorant. They probably don’t even know what sanctions are, let alone what is going on in Crimea. It’s pathetic. And these morons vote!

Jack_Burton on March 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM

…good thread!
…good fun!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Millennials in my grad school classes just a few short years after 9/11 were comfortable defending the terrorists who attacked us as “freedom fighters” and saying Americans should try harder to understand their “point of view.” Nothing has surprised me after that.

Millennials* have been taught that the only evil that exists in the world is intolerance. They’ve also learned to use compassion as a weapon to claim the moral high ground in pretty much any situation (and they are naive enough to think that actually accomplishes anything in the world beyond our reasonably civilized borders). Snark is the highest form of wit to them, and they desperately desire to appear above it all, no matter the situation. They take sides–typically the liberal side–while honestly believing and widely proclaiming that they don’t believe in taking sides. And they will complain about the mess they’ve inherited from previous generations while wholeheartedly voting for the party that is hellbent on making it a thousand times worse.

So…I think their analysis of the situation probably went something like this: “Russia…sanctions…that sounds totes harsh…and way Republican…so…no.”

That said, if we had competent people working on this and a Commander-in-Chief who loved freedom, America, and the soldiers in his charge, I wouldn’t be afraid of going toe-to-toe with the Russians and drawing whatever line in the sand needed to be drawn. Ignoring a Putin-type never works; it only emboldens them. But with the crew currently in charge here, I’m terrified Obama or Kerry or the idiot liberal advisers trying to figure out what to do will do something foolish and escalate the situation–or let Russia totally play them and further weaken America’s standing in the world.

Wow–it’s moments like this that make me realize what a gigantic nightmare we are living out under liberal rule.

*Not all millennials fit this mold, but, seriously, I know tons and tons of millennials–I live and work among them–and the ones who don’t are the exception, not the rule.

butterflies and puppies on March 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Before we press the panic button, I ask if they will continue to hold that viewpoint as they age. What was it Winston Churchill said? He who is not a socialist at twenty has no heart, he who is still a socialist at thirty has no brain? Something like that.

pendell2 on March 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I fall into that demo (though, at 32, I’m at the high end of it).

If the sanctions will help, I’m all for them.

If it’s just political theater….well, I’ve had my lifetime fill of that.

JadeNYU on March 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Then here’s reality.

My wife, whom I met later in her life as a foreign diplomat in Washington, grew up as a poor coal miners daughter. She lived through sanctions on serbia, and was miserable, as were all the poor. The rich and powerful, who didn’t give a damn about sanctions (and who were slaughtering any who stood in their way, including my wife’s father, who was a serb) laughed at them.

Liberty and free trade is always a better disinfectant than shoving it all in a bag and letting it moulder.

deadite on March 10, 2014 at 11:29 PM

The under 35 crowd also gave us two terms of Obama.

Young and naive, no wonder they would kowtow to Russia.

Norwegian on March 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM

The under 35 crowd also gave us two terms of Obama. Young and naive, no wonder they would kowtow to Russia. Norwegian on March 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Maybe they realize that we have so screwed up our country that we have no business telling other countries how to behave.

Muslims continue to kill Christians by the truck load daily
, and Putin is so far responsible for the deaths of no Ukrainians that I’m aware.

If the US govt can remain silent about ongoing mass murders in multiple nations with a common denominator, one has to wonder why Ukraine is such a big deal.

Akzed on March 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Ugh. The generation that gave us “yes we can” and can’t even get a drivers license. Don’t try to find a pattern they are confused and not really paying attention, any way. They were too busy texting a “selfie” and updating their FB status to “taking some lame survey.”

Also, I think you are right about 9/11 effecting Gen X patriotism levels.

magicbeans on March 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Maybe the Millenials can catch a rerun of Red Dawn?

Krupnikas on March 11, 2014 at 10:15 AM

55% of under 35ers don’t know what a sanction is.

BobMbx on March 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM

President Obama’s actions, or proposed actions against Russia for its actions against Ukraine are always hollow because he never confirms he has the right or ability to backup his restrictions.

That is the primary reason the world and Russia laughs in our face, because they watch President Obama and the far left stripping the military and other programs that would back up his sanctions/actions.

MSGTAS on March 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM