Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special

posted at 11:01 am on March 9, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

The special election in Florida-13 will be taking place on Tuesday and it’s looking like we’ve got ourselves a barn burner. In the final days of the race, opponents have been pulling out all the stops in their efforts to defeat GOP candidate David Jolly, including digging up a tragic auto accident from when Jolly was 16 years old. (An accident in which Jolly was cleared of any culpability by police.) But politics is a dirty game, so that’s to be expected.

Even given the rather spirited competition, the latest polls have the race in a dead heat, with Jolly holding a slim two point lead inside the margins over Alex Sink. But the complicating factor in all of this is Libertarian Lucas Overby, a 27 year old commercial diver, who is pulling anywhere from 4 to 7 percent of the vote. That’s not enough to carry the day, but in a race which is this tight he could actually determine the outcome.

If there’s anyone who could find some sympathy for the Big L Libertarian in the race, you might be tempted to think it would be Rand Paul. Given his father’s roots in political ideology and the way Rand is always associated with “the libertarian wing of the GOP” he’s a natural fit, right? Well, if you were thinking that, you would apparently be wrong.

Sen. Rand Paul is helping Florida GOP candidate David Jolly thwart a Libertarian rival polling at four to seven percent, recording a robocall that touts Jolly as someone who wants to “ensure you, not the government, are making decisions for you and your family.”

The call, funded by American Crossroads, a group former Bush aide Karl Rove helped found, will go out to about 20,000 households. The targets of the call are potential supporters of Lucas Overby, a Libertarian candidate who could take votes from GOP candidate Jolly.

“We need to make sure that Lucas Overby does not become a spoiler that gives Nancy Pelosi one more vote in the House. And no one in the center right has more gravitas to help here than Senator Rand Paul,” Steven Law, president and CEO of American Crossroads, said in a written statement to Breitbart News.

I don’t think this is another of those cases of politics making for strange bedfellows, but rather a simple matter of math and reality. Rand Paul doesn’t want to see another seat in the D column when the GOP could hold it, and Overby can’t win. Jolly is the only game in town, and if Paul can chase a few more votes in his direction as a respected voice among that wing of the party, why would he not?

I’m not going to read too much into this race no matter how it goes. After all, there were four special House elections in late 2009 and early 2010 in the run-up to the mid-terms. Democrats won three of the four, leading some to read the tea leaves and predict a lot of momentum for liberals in November. We all know how well that worked out for them. But it certainly wouldn’t hurt to lock this seat up for the remainder of the year, and Paul seems to be trying to do his part to start the season off on a positive note.

Comments

Leadership…

JohnGalt23 on March 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I am oh so sick of mudslinging and dirty politics already this season…

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Rand working with Rove? Ugh.

iwasbornwithit on March 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Rand working with Rove? Ugh.

iwasbornwithit on March 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Yeah… why would he work with a guy who helped our party win two presidential elections, to help a member of our party win a seat in Congress? The nerve…

/loserspeak

JohnGalt23 on March 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Overby might blow this for us. Wouldn’t that be ironic?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I can’t figure out how Sink is even in the running after the hotel maid and landscaper comment. But the Left works with different rules.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Overby might blow this for us. Wouldn’t that be ironic?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Don’t blame me for the Clintons — I voted for Perot!

Oh, wait … ;-)

ShainS on March 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Ted Cruz should go also, just to garner all of the base.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I don’t live in the 13th district, but I am close enough that I’m seeing the ads on TV. The DNC has made ads for Sink that really distort the truth about Jolly.

Jeb Bush is endorsing Jolly hot and heavy. Heck, I even saw a pro Jolly ad this morning where they had pulled Bob Barker, of The Price is Right fame, out of mothballs to knock Obamacare.

Flora Duh on March 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Rand is playing for the Republican team as the only game in town. Which it is. So he is demonstrating his willingness and effectiveness at stopping various Libertarian candidates from siphoning off the winning margin for GOP candidates around the country. If you think about the races the GOP has lost by the margin taken by a Libertarian competitor and, let’s face it, they do compete for the same votes, then Rand might gain ground with the GOP establishment if he can demonstrate he can move some wavering Libertarian voters toward the GOP’s candidate. Especially in these no-win scenarios where the best a Libertarian candidate can do is to stop a Republican from getting elected.

The Dems have spayed their Greens. At some point, the GOP needs to shore up its libertarian wing with some policy changes and embracing pols like Paul and Amash so they can shut out these Libertarian spoilers.

Rand has a strained relationship with Rove, as both recounted following an awkward sharing of a breakfast bar by accident. However, Rand will work with those he otherwise opposes if they have a common policy position, like with Holder on voting rights to non-violent felons. Or with Leahy on federal sentencing guidelines and related matters. And since this is policy Rand has been vocal about all along, it works for him politically. And it helps him build a slim resume of accomplishments in the Senate, despite the constant hostility of the Reid/Obama Senate to any cooperation with the GOP on anything.

Swing voters actually do want compromisers, people who can bring the two parties together. Partisan hack voters (like 99% of HA readers) like the red meat, take-no-prisoners approach. But they aren’t the Mush-headed Yet All-important Swing Voters.

Toocon on March 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

IOW, Rand Paul is pragmatic. Or in the lexicon of Hot Air, a RINO, squishy, establishment moderate.

One can only hope that the purists of the GOP can learn a lesson from Rand. Winning is more important than purdy words and promises that can never be fulfilled.

MJBrutus on March 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

…good on Rand Paul…hope he doesn’t get too closely associated to Oiho Rove though…and waiting for some county to come in.

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Happy to see Rand Paul doing this. I think this is what it is going to take to defeat these Dems, a combined effort. I’m not familiar at all about Florida House districts, but what about Allen West? Maybe he could help also, or any other concerned Conservative.

Funding a spoiler is what the Dems do and the Establishment R’s do this also. So we need to be wise to both of their tactics.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM

MJBrutus on March 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Pragmatic doesn’t make a RINO, it’s a whole body of work, a history. Even Levin says that after the primaries, you support the Republican.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Especially in these no-win scenarios where the best a Libertarian candidate can do is to stop a Republican from getting elected.Toocon on March 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

In some cases the Libertarian is actually a Libertarian. In other cases they are a spoiler and have no interest in the Libertarian Party at all. You would be surprised how many “third” party of every name possible were involved in the 2012 elections in various States. Their combined vote total decided the race!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Because his comments didn’t garner any press – therefore no outrage. On the other hand David Jolly was in the midst of a ( a now finalized)divorice and may or may not have a new girlfriend. Now that’s important news.

MrsGsBoyTommy on March 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Seen the Sink ads on TV here in Bradenton FL. Thanks to the DNC, I learned that that meanie Jolly wants to take Social Security away from seniors!

philw1776 on March 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM

MJBrutus on March 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

One can only hope people like you don’t chase them away.

The best part of the Romney administration is that he won’t have to bow and scrape to the demands of the kooks who have glommed on to the GOP. Every so often in politics coalitions change and adjust. This is one of those inflection points where the GOP will finally be able to rid itself of the devils known as the religious right. Reagan was the first to truly dine with them, and he was wise enough to use a long spoon. The lesser men who weren’t have allowed the party to be painted with their brush.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

It’s a toss up…

Do I hold my nose and vote for Jolly, or vote my conscience with Overby?
I could not stand the though of that carpetbagging hag Sink in Young’s old seat.

The next few days will be agonizing ….

MaxSplinters on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Even Levin says that after the primaries, you support the Republican.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

One of the CPAC Speakers yesterday said the same thing, but I can’t recall who it was. Listened to so many:-) It could have been Gingrich?

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

MrsGsBoyTommy on March 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Sink? You mean she?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!

HA, is anyone listening? I have to shut Flash Player down in order to even type! With it on, my memory will kick up to 250,000k or more! I don’t know what they have done, but some code or format is wrecking the site.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

MrsGsBoyTommy on March 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I can’t even express the depth of my hatred for the media.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I think Gov. Palin made the point in her speech. Can you imagine how much the Establishment hated that?

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM

The next few days will be agonizing ….

MaxSplinters on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

You stand with Rand!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I’m not sure but I don’t think she even lives in the district? I don’t live in the district myself but do live in the media market and her ads are disgusting as said above. Pinellas county is very densely populated so I’m not sure of the political leaning but the Congressman that passed away was in office a long time and was a Republican. I work down there a lot and most folks I know in that area are pretty conservative, but that of course doesn’t mean squat.

whbates on March 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM

whbates on March 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM

You and Flora Duh have my condolences on what you must be enduring in the way of political ads, I am sure they are brutal in sheer numbers alone.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM

MJBrutus on March 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reminder. “Religious right” sounds like a Dem/Lefty talking point, LOL

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Thanks. Oh, I think many of them, Administration & Media included were busy extracting those arrows:-)

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

OT — but check out the headlines above. Mitch McConnell promises to “crush” the grassroots activist movement.

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Does he realize that CPAC was televised? So much for not disappointing us.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I checked Breitbart linked article and found the call script.

Rand Paul: “Hi this is Senator Rand Paul. I’m calling to urge you to vote on Tuesday for David Jolly in the race for Congress. David believes in smaller government. He thinks it’s the way to protect our liberty, and I agree, that’s why I’m supporting him. He will go to Congress to ensure you, not the government, are making decisions for you and your family. Please remember to vote on Tuesday for David Jolly. Thank you.”

He includes the candidate name twice, calls him by his first name once. Standard candidate endorsement branding to remind the voters of the name and to personalize the candidate. Rand, a brand name with a certain following, then sounds the broad libertarian and self-determination themes by ‘protect our liberty’ and family decision-making instead of Big Gov.

I do wonder how they identified those 20,000 Libertarian-leaning Republicans. In races like this, if an endorsement like Rand’s can swing a few percent, that can be enough for a victory. The GOP have left a lot on the table over the years because they fail to counter these Libertarian spoiler candidates.

Toocon on March 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Well, I guess that speech at CPAC was just that, a speech. I’ll check it out tho, thanks.

Since this is Sunday, this Scripture came to mind: “A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I worry that Sink may prevail on name recognition alone. Everyone knows her, and she projects this down-home, Southern genteel that people here still like. We’re right on the border of where Florida ceases to be Southern and commences to be Yankee, so many of us still think of ourselves as Southerners.

Anecdotally, it feels like I’ve seen a lot more Sink attack ads than pro-Jolly ones.

I don’t live in the district, but you can’t escape this stuff anywhere in the Tampa Bay TV market, unfortunately.

KKinFLA on March 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Rand Paul sure is working hard to destroy the Tea Party.

tetriskid on March 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Toocon on March 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I would think Ron Paul has quite an extensive data base that Rand has access to.

I agree with your last statement and will add the GOPe play both sides against the middle. The GOPe will use the spoilers if the advantage is to defeat a Conservative or a Tea Party Candidate.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM

KKinFLA on March 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Does David Jolly have a website and do you know it? Thanks.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Have no problem with Rand supporting the gop candidate here. It’s not like there’s a primary here between a conservative and a GOPe stooge.

AH_C on March 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I’ve taken to keeping the Windows Task Manager open while using Firefox, and when things start slowing down, killing either the Flash Player or the plug-in container processes in the “Processes” tab. Immediately speeds things up (though I haven’t figured out a similar quick fix for stopping Flash from hogging memory using Firefox or other browsers on Macs).

jon1979 on March 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Rand Paul sure is working hard to destroy the Tea Party.

tetriskid on March 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I doubt that!! That would only be true if he has no Presidential plans. The Tea Party elected him. Rand Paul is making some smart political plans.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Sounds to me like MJBrutard is a purist.

Even Levin says that after the primaries, you support the Republican.

Cindy Munford

He ain’t saying that too much these days.

bluefox

MJBrutard is a Dem/Lefty.

xblade on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

If you really think the site is messing you up, I’d send an email to the tip line.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

In the wake of what happened with the Virginia gubernatorial election last November, it’s no surprise Paul would go against the Libertarian candidate here. McAuliffe’s election in VA showed the Democrats benefiting from a Libertarian on the ballot isn’t just some hypothetical, and looking ahead to 2016, if Rand wants winder regional support in the presidential race that the coalition his dad put together, he’s got to build up some credits with Republicans in places like Florida. If Jolly wins, that a chip Rand can cash in two years from now.

jon1979 on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

xblade on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Actually he said either on Tuesday or Friday of last week because that’s the only time I get to listen to him, in the car on the way home from work.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

jon1979 on March 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I was wondering if FF users were having the same problems. I’m on Win7/IE9 and go into Manage addons and Disable the Shockwave Flash Object. I don’t need it for reading and blogging. When I need it, I Enable it.

I would think the Flash Player plug-in for FF could be disabled too? The SWF plugin?

I used to work with Macs and at that time the location of the Flash Player plugin was as follows: Library>Application Support>Adobe>Flash Player>Flash Player.plugin Whether that can be disabled, I don’t know.

I’m hoping HA addresses these issues. Several commenters have emailed Ed/AP.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM

bluefox

MJBrutard is a Dem/Lefty.

xblade on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

That explains it. Hey, you know only Tru-Cons are purists!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM

The next few days will be agonizing ….

MaxSplinters on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

You stand with Rand!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Thanks, I needed that….

MaxSplinters on March 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Bmore and a couple of others have done that but I suppose the more the merrier. It appears to be effecting all browsers & OS’S too.

I first noticed it about the 2nd week in February. Never had any issue before.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM

jon1979 on March 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Good points.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM

You stand with Rand!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Thanks, I needed that….

MaxSplinters on March 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM

:-) Call all of your friends and relatives too! I think we are going to have to keep an eye on all races in every State and join together if we want to win.

Be Active, Get Involved!! Our enemies are!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM

@MJBrutus

I was with you when you talked about the RINO lablel. Using it isn’t constructive, therefore let’s stop using it. Then you go and talk about the kooky religious right. WTF! I thought for a second you were against these obviously derogatory labels. Guess not. What a let down.

TexasJack on March 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

David Jolly, longtime advisor and former General Counsel for the late Congressman Bill Young, with the blessing of Mrs. Beverly Young, is running to be the Republican candidate for Congressional District 13. David has spent his entire career working on behalf of the people of Pinellas County, advancing and supporting community interests in the United States Congress and serving in multiple civic and community leadership roles here at home.

^ Here are ways we can help!!

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Rand Paul sure is working hard to destroy the Tea Party.

tetriskid on March 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM

No. Mitch McConnell is. It’s called reading comprehension.

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM

That’s the kiss of death right there

Brock Robamney on March 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I’m hoping HA addresses these issues. Several commenters have emailed Ed/AP.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Disabling Flash is an option in Firefox in the Windows and Mac versions. But I do want to use it for other sites where the memory drain isn’t as bad, so taking it out completely would be problematic (on the Mac laptop at the office, I never even bothered to add the SWF plug-in to Firefox, since it’s not important to my work and there’s no easy way to kill it I’ve found, as with the Task Manager option in Windows 7 or 8. If I really need to see something in Flash on the Mac, I’ll copy the web address and open it in Safari).

jon1979 on March 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

That was a pretty good post of mine you pasted up there. Thanks for reminding me of it :-)

MJBrutus on March 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM

No. Mitch McConnell is. It’s called reading comprehension.

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Rand Paul’s team from 2010 is Mitch McConnell’s reelection team.

In fact, McConnell’s Campaign Manager is long time Ron and Rand Paul adviser (and family member) Jesse Benton.

tetriskid on March 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

TexasJack on March 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

First off, my comments about not using RINO is simply pointing out that it is cliched. Purists use it a dozen times a day and to describe anyone who deviates the tiniest bit from orthodoxy.

My understanding about the religious right is that they are proud of that label. Are you now telling me that it is an insult to them?

MJBrutus on March 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM

tetriskid on March 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Interesting but not dispositive of anything. Rand Paul is not Mitch McConnell.

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM

rrpjr on March 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Oh, wow. That Headline thread is busy! What a two faced traitor he is!!!

You should take a look at the last comment that Flora posted.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM

jon1979 on March 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM

It can really be complicated. I just use one browser, but you have two OS’s & 3 difference browsers!!

Guess we have to do whatever we can; I think it’s called “work arounds”:-)

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I use the term to define a Republican that votes with the Democrats and or supports this Administration’s agenda.

I don’t call that “tiniest bit” either.

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM

bluefox on March 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Yeah, yeah, we know.

MJBrutus on March 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I like Rand Paul a lot and I of course hope David Jolly wins. That being said, am I the only person who hates the idea of robocalls? If I were on the margin for voting for a particular candidate, getting a robocall would likely drive me to vote for the other candidate. If anyone ever wants to persuade me of something by phone, have a human speak to me.

MinnesotaSlinger on March 9, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Thank you Rand.

BelleStarre on March 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I live in the district, and a couple of things to note:

Bill Young was in Congress > 30 years, but FL-13 is not the same district he served all those years. This is a new district after the 2010 redistricting, adding more of southern Pinellas county and removing all of northern Hillsborough County, making the district somewhat bluer.

Alex Sink is such a bad candidate, the blueness of this FL-13 is keeping her in it. She has run $0 in positive ads, spending all her and serveral Dem PACs’ money on really nasty and misleading attack ads on Jolly. She rented a condo in the district just to run for this seat, and will move out should she lose, no doubt. No ties to the district at all.

Paul will help tamp down the Overby support, I feel. I think much of his suppport his more “none of the above” than true libertarians.

HornHiAceDeuce on March 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM