CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty

posted at 9:31 am on March 9, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, I had my second opportunity to interview Daniel Hannan, the Member of European Parliament representing the UK, at CPAC. I actually had an interview with Hannan at CPAC a couple of years ago, but a battery failure left the video silent and unusable. This time, the Townhall booth offered better technology, and Hannan gave us an insightful look at the “delicate nature” of liberty as we know it — a definition provided by the Anglosphere, as Hannan argued in Inventing Freedom: How the English-Speaking Peoples Made the Modern World last November:

The example of Ukraine is just the latest exposure of a fiction that the world has left behind totalitarianism and aggressive and imperialistic oligarchies. The US may argue that Russia is acting in a 19th-century manner, but the truth is that the ideas of personal liberty and private property has not spread as far as we’d like. The United Nations and other multinational forums are not promoting these ideals, and Hannan argues they never will nor never be able to do so even if so inclined. But the Anglosphere does — and Hannan says that most people forget to include India in that calculation. He is “broadly optimistic” that India will move in the direction of the Anglosphere, which would create a huge counterweight to imperial powers such as Russia and China.

Be sure to watch it all.

Comments

Inventing Freedom: How the English-Speaking Peoples Made the Modern World by Daniel Hannan

Excellent book. This should be mandatory reading in schools.

kcewa on March 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Ed, Handlebar mustache.

You will own whatever forum you find yourself in.

Murphy9 on March 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Are we going to see your Sunday reflection today Ed?

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM

What are some of Rush’s undeniable truths”

5. War is not obsolete.
6. Ours is a world governed by the aggressive use of force.
11. Neither the US, nor anyone else, imposes freedom on the peoples of
other nations.

Murphy9 on March 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Are we going to see your Sunday reflection today Ed?

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Yes, it will go up at 10 am as usual. I’m on a flight home now, but I wrote it last night.

Ed Morrissey on March 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

WATCH Daniel Hannan’s wonderful speech at #CPAC2014

Flora Duh on March 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

What a captivating speech!

Murphy9 on March 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I hate it when everything is interesting.

Axe on March 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

His input on one of the (few) international policy panels was along these same lines, incredibly difficult to disagree with anything he said, and I had a convo after his speech with a couple who thought the only R who is this articulate without anything pre-written is Cruz – and Hannan stuck around for the better part of an hour after that panel to meet/greet fans like myself, could not have been nicer!

For those interested in more from him: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/danielhannan/

das411 on March 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Ed Morrissey on March 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Make sure it doesn’t get redirected to Malaysia.

Stoic Patriot on March 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I hate it when everything is interesting.

Axe on March 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Never ever lose your sense of wonder comrade.

Murphy9 on March 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

WATCH Daniel Hannan’s wonderful speech at #CPAC2014

Flora Duh on March 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

^ This cannot be skipped.

Axe on March 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Never ever lose your sense of wonder comrade.

Murphy9 on March 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I want to go in there and lay down and watch Journey to the Center of the Earth, or even McKenzie Westmore — who is HOT — and I can’t because Daniel Hannan is blowing the house down and it’s amazing, and when I get done, that Ed Morrissey fellow has more going on at the top of the page that is equally amazing and only found 2nd because of pure click convenience.

McKenzie Westmore, damn it. McKenzie Westmore.

Amazing — “Act worthy of yourselves,” he closed with. Wow.

Axe on March 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM

WATCH Daniel Hannan’s wonderful speech at #CPAC2014

Flora Duh on March 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I hope one day soon the Brits will elect him PM.

ncinca on March 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM

The same Daniel Hannan who endorsed Obama for president? I simply can’t reconcile his words with that decision. He will always be suspect for it.

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Ed Morrissey on March 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Ahhhh! Ed is using the internet in flight!!!!

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Ahhhh! Ed is using the internet in flight!!!!

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

LOLZ! That was exactly my thought, as well…

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

This is going to seem off topic but it isn’t…. did anyone see this at Ace’s? I’m beginning to think before a leader is picked they should have to pick out furniture and swatches, there seems to be a recurring theme of tyrants, looting of treasuries and bad taste.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Well fer petes sake, someone has to live in these palaces, Cindy…

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

So it wasn’t just the zoo?

ncinca on March 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I didn’t know this. If true, I will be suspicious too, however, I will still love hearing him say the things I wish our RINO party leaders would say. Still, its hard to see Hannan ever supporting Obama. You didn’t have to look too far to find out everything you needed to know about Obama. Most of it was right there in that book Bill Ayers wrote for him. You couldn’t read that book and come away thinking, this man would make a good President.

Alabama Infidel on March 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Shorthand- The 1980s called, they’re offering up their foreign policy since the enlighted thingie has been as complete and total failure as the rat-eared wonder and his vile filthy minions.

Happy Nomad on March 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I hate it when everything is interesting.

Axe on March 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

…it’s nice to be a kid…in a candy store…for a change!

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM

ncinca on March 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM

No, the zoo was a bonus but that also appears to be part of the theme. What gets me is that the people don’t raise he!!.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Hey in 2008 I can see why some people would be duped by the rat-eared wonder. Especially when the alternative was John McCain who never met a country he didn’t want to bomb the hell out of. Here at HA there were months of censorship about saying anything critical about the lazy stupid shiftless coward in the White House under the misguided idea that “we have to give Obama a chance.”

The real question is what does Hannan think about Obama these days.

Happy Nomad on March 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I particularly liked the painting depicting the AG as some sort of Roman general or something.

Happy Nomad on March 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

What is that “Bearing Arms” on the wall behind Ed? Does Salem own a gun oriented web site as well?

Mark1971 on March 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Hannan, the POS that spent 2 years on the circuit endorsing Obama, and promoting “hope and change”. The liberal media’s darling “conservative” that was tingling up the leg at Obama’s speeches. He even used the “race” angle, white guilt, that the US needed to prove something to the world, etc..etc..

He could have just kept his trap shut, but felt the need to get involved help out his Marxist buddy. Hannan is nothing more than a pathetic opportunist doing anything for publicity.

Unfortunately many conservative suckers either have short memories, or give him a pass because he later admitted he was wrong in falling for hope and change.

nottakingsides on March 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

GFY Hannan. I’m an American citizen who has to live with the consequences while you safely wallow in your regret across the pond. You’re living proof they’ll let anyone speak at CPAC nowadays.

/PTOOEY

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 12:15 PM

The real question is what does Hannan think about Obama these days.

Happy Nomad on March 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Who cares? I don’t think Obama does. I know I don’t. We’re the ones who have to live with Obama now.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM

A simple and disturbing thought to keep in mind. Anyone in today’s world, advocating for the advancement of anglosphere values is going to be portrayed by the media as being racist because the anglosphere is basically a white people thing.

oscarwilde on March 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

FOWG1 on March 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

This is the kind of disappointment I felt when I found out Rubio was not who he led us to believe he was.

Alabama Infidel on March 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

oscarwilde on March 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Except when it’s not. But selective interpretation of history is bound to happen when being a victim is more fashionable than being a producer.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Alabama Infidel on March 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Well, in case you fine folks haven’t noticed, though I get plenty frosted about being lied to by elected American politicians, it pisses me off even more than Hannan is allowed to come to the Conservative Political Action Conference and self-flagellate over a problem that he himself helped bring upon us from his lofting perch in parliament across the pond.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM

FOWG1 on March 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

As clear as his sight may be, he apparently only sees the trees and cannot see the forest. If he could not see the forces and influences which gave rise to a Barak Hussein Obama as the chief executive of our country, then he is in danger of being fooled again.

Those are the real problem and he should have seen them operative in the faux-president’s rise to power.

Cleombrotus on March 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Copy that!

Alabama Infidel on March 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Two of the originals will be on tour here in the U.S.

Hereford Cathedral Magna Carta: Houston

Lincoln King John Magna Carta: Museum of Fine Arts in Boston; Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute at Clark University in Williamstown, Mass; the Library of Congress.

The Houston exhibit has already begun. I don’t know the dates for some of the others, although the link says the Library of Congress exhibit doesn’t begin until November 6th.

A permanent exhibit at the National Archives in D.C. opened in December. The copy of the Magna Carta there is one of the surviving copies from when it was reissued in 1297.

INC on March 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM

On a related note, next year is the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta.

INC on March 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Fun fact:

The magna carta, or “grand charter,” was originally a system of protections bargained for by the nobles who served directly under King John after the death of Richard the Lionhearted. It was never intended to apply to apply to the commoners, but over time it became a factor that further fueled the rise of a class that was neither aristocrat nor serf, a class that created wealth like never before through raw labor and trade; it was then called the “middle” class.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM

FOWG1 on March 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

“Why I’m for Barack Obama”

Seriously, can anyone who proclaims to be a serious political thinker (professional or otherwise) really have been fooled by Obama? It was pretty clear he was no kind of politician a conservative could feel anything but chills of fear for when he ran, even in 2008. I appreciate he did a mea culpa but no one who believes what Hannan preaches could have been for Obama. McCain was bad enough but Obama was and is a totalitarian Statist. If Hannan was so blind then, why won’t he be so again? There are mistakes and then there are complete and utter abrogations of professed belief which bring into question whether one really does believe them or at least understand what they really mean. He says the right things and he does so very well but I will never completely trust him again.

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM

How most ironic that the good Brit has to tell the stupid US Americans what freedom is, or used to be.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Yuck, jnelchef…thank you for this

In three and a half years of blogging, this has been my single most unpopular post. There’s little point, I know, in reminding readers that my support for Barack Obama was qualified; that I simultaneously endorsed GOP Congressional candidates; that I never saw Obama as a messiah and, indeed, was repelled by the millenarian fervour of his supporters. Nor is there much purpose in rehearsing John McCain’s shortcomings. The fact remains that I backed the Democrat.

I was wrong. Not that Obama is without his good points, obviously. His commitment to school choice is unfeigned. His foreign policy has been a jolly sight cheaper than McCain’s would have been. The election of a mixed-race president who opposed the Iraq war has made the USA slightly more popular.

None of these advantages, however, can make up for the single most important fact of Obama’s presidency, namely that the federal government is 30 per cent larger than it was two years ago

Aka…when brilliant minds go to the latrine-rats.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Fun fact:

gryphon202 on March 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Even more fun fact…it reverted to its original. See DC. See the EU…see Putin…see Zimbabwe…see obama at Key Largo.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I hate it when everything is interesting.

Axe on March 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

True, and I love to listen to him, especially when he rips the chief of the Eu, then is asked to apologize, then rips him again, as the fool of the EU, in his presence…look it up. It’s delightful…all on Youtube…

Still, he supported obama, unpardonably.

It’s as if he held a gun to the brilliantly free head.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I hate all the Libertarians, Republicans and Democrats who voted for obama too. Sheep, one and all.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Independents of all stripes, you too.

There is Nothing free or liberal about anyone who voted for such a hypocritical thug.

There is also nothing intelligent about any of you.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Hannan didn’t get “fooled”. Hannan is a straight up liar.

nottakingsides on March 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Europe, the cheering sheep-for-obama, deserve him in full.

Schadenfreude, pure!!!

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM

“Predation is easier than Production”

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM

oscarwilde on March 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Ummm… Does that include the 600+ million Indians? Because I think they qualify as “people of color”, and may outnumber the white anglophone population. They certainly make a large part of it!

ReggieA on March 9, 2014 at 3:53 PM

jnelchef on March 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

WOW! I didn’t know that. How in the world could anyone who is conservative ever support Obama? Guess he wasn’t all that conservative.

MrX on March 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

MrX on March 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Being a British conservative means being just barely slightly to the right of Nancy Pelosi when it comes time to actually vote on something.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on March 9, 2014 at 5:40 PM