Video: Rick Perry brings down the house at CPAC

posted at 11:21 am on March 7, 2014 by Allahpundit

Watch it all if you have time — it’s shorter than most CPAC speeches — or skip to around 10:00 for the big, and I mean big, finish. Nearly every media observer who watched it was taken aback by the crowd’s reaction. He’s firing some very, er, hot gas at the end here.

It’s not too late, you know.

“I’m comfortable that we’re leaving [the governor's office] at an appropriate time,” he says. “I still think I’ve got a passion for what I do. I’ve got 11 months left. I’ve got a deal that I’m working on. I got lots of deals that we’re going to be working on.”

Those “deals” Perry refers to are attempts to woo companies to relocate or expand in Texas, a major component of his economic development scheme. As Fred Barnes reported for THE WEEKLY STANDARD last year, Perry’s recovered from his self-admitted “humbling” presidential campaign by running another campaign—this one on selling Texas’s low-taxes, low-regulation, business-friendly regime as a prescription for the nation’s economic ailments. It may also be the basis for a second presidential run in 2016, to which Perry remains open. (“If I decide to be a candidate in the future” is how he discusses it.)

But as governor, his legacy in Texas may be that as a faithful and vigorous steward of the state’s economic health during a period of plenty of uncertainty and turmoil. The Lone Star State weathered the recession better than nearly every other state, and it has one of the country’s lowest unemployment rates. It’s not just the state’s standby energy industry that’s contributing to Texas’s good fortunes; tech companies like Facebook and Dropbox have recently expanded here, too.

I wrote about his 2016 prospects a few weeks ago. No one else in the field, save for Scott Walker, will make his economic record as central to his presidential pitch. That’s a nice advantage to have in a country that’s spent six years sagging. I just don’t know if GOP voters will give him a second chance given the perception two years ago that he wasn’t ready for primetime. I don’t think he has to worry as much next time about being seen as a sellout on immigration reform measures like DREAM; nearly every big name in the party has moved left on that since 2012, and besides, people who want a whipping boy for amnesty will probably have Rubio in the field as an outlet. He’s got to seize whatever opportunities he can over the next year to grab righties’ attention and convince them that he’s a different, more self-assured candidate than they saw last time. Mission accomplished today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Always liked this guy….mainly because he’s a man..

ToddPA on March 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Um okay, but don’t we have enough gay threads here already?

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Nope, we need three a day minimum….I’m doing
Yeoman’s work here, seeing as Allah and Ed are
falling down on the job….

ToddPA on March 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

But that’s not a constitutional restirction against them being from the same state. It’s a rule about how electoral college reps must vote – and as such, makes it a bad idea for them to be from the same state, in a close race – but does not prohibit it.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Technically no but did you catch the part about it meaning that the Texas electoral votes wouldn’t count? You think either party is going to null 38 electoral votes? Maybe an all- Rhode Island or Deleware ticket but you’ll never see an all-Texas or all-California ticket.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Okay, although I wouldn’t think that continued government involvement in mail delivery (let alone Saturday service) would appeal to anyone opposed to waste.

Bif Malibu on March 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Thinking of the rock, who was that idiot Perry-hatin’ nutball?

Claimed to be some minority doctor. The rock really got to him.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Stoner, your assumptions are pretty wide and deep. I didn’t know you were clairvoyant, but maybe that’s what you get when you are a stoner.

Drop the drugs, because the ECONOMY and STATE”S RIGHTS will set you free.

NOMOBO on March 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Not that I’m saying illegal immigration is OK, but when the economy is exploding again and unemployment is under 4%, as would happen with a Perry presidency, I don’t think you’ll hear too much complaining about an orderly immigration policy that allows people to come here from places like Mexico.

NOMOBO on March 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Lots of assumptions there…
But lets look at one position Perry will not push for which you say we will not complain about. Perry will not push for or enact an orderly immigration policy.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

You are the one with assumptions.
You assume under Perry that unemployment will be 4%.
You assume America will be running under an orderly immigration policy.

My Clairvoyance on Perry is based on his actions and statements to date on immigration. What exactly are your assumptions based on? Same thing Obama’s foreign policies are?

As long as I am paying for everyone’s Social Security, Medicare, Unemployment Insurance, large portions of Welfare State’s Rights and false liberty cannot set me free.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

IIRC, Cheney had a Texas residence, a TX DL, paid taxes there as a resident, and had registered to vote there. To remove all doubt, he re-established residency in WY, in the nick of time, evidently.

hawkeye54 on March 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Yes – he had been living in Dallas as the CEO of Halliburton – being in the private sector after his stint as SecDef when Clinton got into the WH.

In early 2000, while serving as the CEO of Halliburton, Cheney headed then-Governor of Texas George W. Bush’s vice-presidential search committee. On July 25, after reviewing Cheney’s findings, Bush surprised some pundits by asking Cheney himself to join the Republican ticket.[19][65] Halliburton reportedly reached agreement on July 20 to allow Cheney to retire, with a package estimated at $20 million.[66]

A few months before the election Cheney put his home in Dallas up for sale and changed his drivers’ license and voter registration back to Wyoming. This change was necessary to allow Texas’ presidential electors to vote for both Bush and Cheney without contravening the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which forbids electors from voting for someone from their own state for both President and Vice President.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM

’m open to giving him another shot. His downfall last time was due to a poor choice of words(or in one case, forgetting his words) at a debate.

Oh, c’mon…..everyone makes a mistake, and one’s a better person from having learned from it and not repeating it. Better prep, better campaign management and organization can make a world of difference.

Reagan got another shot in ’80 after running in ’76 and narrowly being edged out by Ford at the convention, IIRC. We merely had to endure the malaise and agony of Jimmah for four years in between.

hawkeye54 on March 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Great speech!

But where’s bluegill complaining about Perry being pro-illegal immigrant?

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Hagfish’s alter ego astonerii pulled that duty.

NOMOBO on March 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I worked on his home in Dallas. Well, Highland Park.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Exactly. astoner stinks up every thread he stumbles into.

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

The local kindergartener came by to say nasty things about other people.

Attack me the person, not my arguments. It is the regressive way. John the Regressive.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Bless your heart.

This thread was an answer to your prayers.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM

You people who scream “HE IS FOR AMNESTY” at every turn – STHU. jake-the-goose

I’ll second that!!!

iidvbii on March 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Look at the 12th amendment. You are looking at Article II section 1

Brock Robamney on March 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

No, it means the Texas electors couldn’t vote for both the Pres and VP – so that ticket would lose the electoral college votes from Texas for one of the 2 – not both.

Obviously not a good idea, as it would be risky if the election was close – but not prohibited.

I fully understand they wouldn’t do it for this and other reasons, all I was saying is a Cruz/Perry ticket would be a good ticket (as far as the people go) – but it would never happen.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM

No, but the theme is the same.

Sayin’ something like “shining city on a hill” would have been too obvious.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Frankly “Saturday mail delivery” resonates more. Not that I care about mail delivery (I think the USPS should go to three-day service and fire about half of the carriers who become redundant) but what this nation needs is a “fixer” who gets in there and reduces the size and stranglehold of big government.

There is no system more iconic of government run amok than the USPS. Even though the naming of post offices is one of the few bipartisan areas of agreement within Congress. The USPS does not run efficiently, does not incorporate the reality of new technologies, has the same distribution model that was used when Franklin was Postmaster General, and otherwise needs reform. Shining city on a hill may score more points for soaring rhetoric but I want a fixer.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Hagfish’s alter ego astonerii pulled that duty.

NOMOBO on March 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

If he wants to earn votes, I say he should respect American Citizens more. Funny how Rubio is all outs due to his immigration stance, but Perry is Godly despite having the same one.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM

OT-

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Just watched the eaglet have lunch. Little pig. lol

Barred on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

This is exactly why the Republican Party cannot get anywhere.

The morons jump on every shiny bandwagon that comes along.

Hitch it on up. Hermain Cain was it? Then Perry? I think there were a few before them. Oh look, pretty colors!

Perry gave a great speech. BFD, they all do at one time or another. Grow up. Perry is an amnesty shill like Rubio. As president he will give you amnestied illegal aliens as competition against you votes.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM

If we could get the USPS to prohibit junk mail, I wouldn’t need to empty my mailbox more than once a week – and I’d have a lot less trash headed for the landfill.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Great speech. But Perry has this little smirk he makes right after a key point that drives me crazy. It’s like he is acknowledging that the crowd is responding the way he wanted to that line. Don’t get me wrong, I think Perry is a good Conservative for the most part, but if he were elected, I would have trouble watching his speeches…and that is saying a lot, cause I have always found Perry to be a very attractive guy. ;-)

ihasurnominashun on March 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Kaboom!

That was awesome – HOME RUN! (although, I’m not sure that I understand how the “MAIL” comment fits into the theme of his speech).

A great “come-back” for Rick.

Pork-Chop on March 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Let’s remember something else here. Had 2000 been an all-Texas ticket and the Constitution was stretched enough so that Texas electors could vote for President or Vice President, the nation would have ended up with a President George W. Bush and a Vice President Joe Lieberman. It would have been interesting to see how that one would have played out in history.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about!
I missed the nutball Perry-hatin’ screemin’ mimis.
It’s good to see y’all can pull the band back together so quickly.
cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Why is it when the Neostatists are presented with facts they adopt the liberal debate tactics of insults. Many of us watched the debates and saw and heard what Perry said. There is no reason that conservatives should follow your lead flocking from Krispy Kreme to Perry. Did you not see Perry attack Romney for being one of the 1%???

Brock Robamney on March 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Same with me. I pretty much do all my real transactions online.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Sure, last time I checked Texas was doing pretty good under Perry’s leadership. When I moved here from Kalifornia my state taxes were reduced by about $20K/yr, and my property taxes dropped a few thousand a year even though I have a bigger house on more land.

I do believe the unemployment rate in Texas under Perry’s leadership is substantially lower than the nation as a whole, and businesses, including mine, are flocking here. These accomplishments were made with policies he intends to bring to the federal government–namely keeping the federal government out of it as much as possible.

That Perry supported helping children born of illegal immigrants a path to education is not a sin. It made sense as a STATE measure to reduce other local problems. Does that translate to national policy? I don’t think so if you know anything about Perry’s opinion on what the federal government should do.

Maybe you should just wait for the candidate who proposes to execute anyone here illegally, or who tries to breach our border. He should get a lot of support I’m sure.

NOMOBO on March 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

No need to type up new thoughts aster, just cut and paste!

Rick Perry has a little growth in the direction of Conservatism to earn my support and vote.
1) he has to learn that as citizens of the Nation, the Government represents us, not illegal aliens.
2) that the government has no place forcing citizens into medical care unless there is a clear public good that far far exceeds the imposition. Those are few and far between.
3) That those of us who do not agree with him are not heartless, but know better than him in these cases.

astonerii on July 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM

MontanaMmmm on March 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

This is exactly why the Republican Party cannot get anywhere.

The morons jump on every shiny bandwagon that comes along.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Indeed. Everybody hates Rubio (except terryannonnline) for his amnesty stance yet Perry is in the same boat. And for all his talk of freedom and liberty, he did try to mandate Gardasil on young girls in Texas. What’s free about that?

Bitter Clinger on March 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

That would have been interesting.
I suspect Lieberman would have forced a vote of no confidence in Bush and taken over as the Emperor – and eventually hired Darth Vader as his #2. (I’ve always thought Lieberman looks just like Senator Palpatine)

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I’m doing
Yeoman’s work here, seeing as Allah and Ed are
falling down on the job….

ToddPA on March 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

And remember…when you fall down, do it fabulously

JetBoy on March 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Brock Robamney on March 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Yes dear, you stick with that.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Just watched the eaglet have lunch. Little pig. lol

Barred on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

He/she really is isn’t he/she? Getting big fast. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

So what’s wrong with seeing a speech like this and saying – ok, Perry looks pretty good right now?
He11, I liked Herman Cain best as well, mainly because of his corporate experience, and the idea of a black Republican going up against Shrillery or 0bumble – right up until he self-destructed over the trivial dirt the Dems dug up on him.
I don’t see a big deal in discussing the pros and cons of various potential candidates at this stage.
But I personally don’t get solidly hooked on any of them – especially this early in the game.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Note to Chris Christie: This is what an RGA chair looks like.

monalisa on March 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Just watched the eaglet have lunch. Little pig. lol

Barred on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

P.S. The gilled one most distressed by the lunch. Lolz! ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Mike Lee had the best line of the convention so far when he said we should be more focused on engaging converts than discarding heretics.

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Hang in there Newt…!

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Just like old times. :-)

I like the cut of his jib…

… but I hear there is some rock somewhere with some paint on it.

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Shh. You’ll bring Chudi out from under his.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Shh. You’ll bring Chudi out from under his.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Thanks, I couldn’t remember that perry-hatin’ nutball’s name for anything.

He was more entertaining than the stoner

Not sure about the now guy. He ain’t startin’ out very well though.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Excellent speech by Rick Perry and a reminder for many had high hopes for him in 2012. You only get one chance to make a first impression; but if he can continue to give speeches like this, he has a chance. It’ a shame we didn’t see much of this Rick Perry two years ago.

midgeorgian on March 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Meh! CPAC attendees are the “heretics” that surrender weasels like Boehner has been trying to discard since the last election.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Rudy/Rick

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Chudi was here the other day, so he’s still around.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM

There is a difference between hearing something you like and agreeing with it only to come to the conclusion that the person who said it is amazing and hearing something you like and agreeing with it and then following up with critical thinking and a validation of the reality of the person who said it.
Obama says things many people find awesome and I used to imagine that Republicans are smarter than his voters. Apparently not. It is kind of disgusting to see the short memories these people have when faces with a good speech by a so so conservative.
Like I said. When Perry learns from his errors and repents of those errors, I think he would be great. But so long as he still thinks that; the government should force people into getting vaccines for STDs at the age of 9 to 12, that giving in-state tuition prices to illegal aliens which are not available to American Citizens is a good idea, that we do not need a border fence… he is not going to earn my vote.
Then again, I guess I should not be surprised by this shiny object stupidity from people here, I remember 2012 primary and should have remembered the oooooh shiny! way people acted then.

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM

But without that vital junk mail, what would sorters do half the day? And the mail carriers would only need half the time to do their routes. And think of the recycling trucks collecting the disposed ofjunk mail every week? What do want to do, put more hard working people out of secure and well paying jobs?

/SNARK

hawkeye54 on March 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM

*groan*
astonerii, just go away.

avagreen on March 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM

avagreen on March 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM

These types cannot go away any more than the street preachers screaming “repent” at the tops of their lungs and wearing sandwich boards claiming “The End Is Nigh”

They are the keepers of the faith, and their faith is strong.

Or, maybe its the drugs…

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

astonerii on March 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Well, I’ve never seen a candidate yet that I liked 100%. Pretty much every election I’ve had to vote for who I thought was the best of the choices given, or the least objectionable.
He11, I even voted for Perot waaaay back, because of Bush Senior’s “read my lips” failure. But because of that vote, which helped put Clinton in the WH, ever since I’ve always voted for whoever the R candidate is, regardless of whether I really liked him – and yes, I’ve held my nose a few times when voting.
So I personally don’t get too excited about anyone this early in the election cycle.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

…I’m worried that he did well…the MSM will now be after him!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM

The picture makes him look like Moe Green from the GOdfather.

Bradky on March 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I’d sure like to beef up the Police State at our southern border. We should also have the government conscript employers to be defacto immigration enforcers, by making them check everyone’s papers.
Also, mandated English classes.

It’s too bad amnesty shills like Perry don’t share my small-government vision.

Herod on March 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

What a clown show this is shaping up to be.

Another Libertarian on March 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Also, mandated English classes.

It’s too bad amnesty shills like Perry don’t share my small-government vision.

Herod on March 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

You’re the type of libertarian that gives libertarians a bad name.

Bitter Clinger on March 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Love the speech. Love the passion!

bluegill on March 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Hear, Hear.

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM

bluegill on March 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM

We heard you the first two times.

Is your short term memory so bad you relive the same things several times a day?

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Swoon!
(And he looks great in a flight suit.)

vityas on March 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM

You should tell that to Cruz, Paul, and Lee, who seem awfully chummy with their Senate colleagues nowadays.

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I beg your pardon? Have you had one too many cosmos?

bluegill on March 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM

bluegill on March 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Weak sauce honey, try again.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

All I remember is that his last campaign for president was an utter disaster. And, after such disasters very few candidates ever have another chance.

SC.Charlie on March 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Or when GOP voters do their homework and see what a HUGE crony capitalist Perry is, how he merely did the business bidding of his donors (see HPV), including international donors (see Trans Texas Corridor).

Or when GOP voters do their homework to recognize that Perry has never had a challenging election or policy position: He was a Dem recruited by Rove to run as W’s Lt Gov; inherited the position from W; never had a viable challenger in any of his races; was prodded to run in 2012 by said donors (probably Rove as well, just as he and his players got Bachmann to run) to crowd the “conservative” side and clear the way for Romney, who they know would lose, thus setting up 8 years of a terrible Dem president, and trying desperately to set up the same conditions for Baby Bro Jeb in 2016 that Big W had in 2000.

Perry’s probably a very nice guy.

But he’s not a fighter. And he doesn’t think much for himself. His political career has been managed by others from the beginning of his switch to the GOP.

IMO.

IOW, I sure hope GOP voters do their homework on Perry’s electoral and policy record.

hrh40 on March 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

hrh40 on March 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Hmmm…I guess you do your homework with a Common Core textbook.

That 2006 gubernatorial election sure was a cakewalk for Perry.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Perry’s probably a very nice guy.

hrh40 on March 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Nope, he’s an ass.

That has been common knowledge since he berated a state trooper for being pulled over back when he was Lt. Gov.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM

The Aggie governor wearing an orange tie? Wow, he has grown!

john1schn on March 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Perry all the way for me. He’s my top candidate at this point.

Jack_Burton on March 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Great speech Rick. Bravo.

TX-96 on March 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM

john1schn on March 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Hey! He is governor of all Texans. Even the Tea sippers.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM

The sorry no good pansy tea sippers that is.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Sorry,but Perry doesn’t get an amnesty pass just because Rubio took the GOP lead on it.He gets the same treatment from me-no vote,no matter what.There are just some issues that are so important to America’s future you don’t compromise on.

redware on March 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

redware on March 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I’m sure you will be cheering on President Hillary.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

hrh40 on March 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Yes, and thank you. Of all the potentials on the list at this stage, he is significantly better at governing from a small government approach than all but maybe a couple based on his record.

anuts on March 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

redware on March 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Very true.

bluegill on March 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Bif Malibu on March 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Kaboom!

A great “come-back” for Rick.

Pork-Chop on March 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

He was listing off the powers granted to Congress. I think his intention was like “Go for it, you’re allowed.” He then goes on to tell them to stay out of the rest of it, like education, health care, etc.

I thought the best part of the speech was how he listed several items and didn’t forget any of them. :-)

Occams Stubble on March 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Lee’s right, conservatives have to expand beyond those that are already listening to the Tea Party message. That isn’t to say we should cave on our principals, instead we should sway voters and skeptics to our principals; the way to do that is by engaging with and not discarding those skeptics. At a certain point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when conservatives right off voters.

midgeorgian on March 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Rick Perry taking the stage with AC/DC playing and shouting “Come On, get it up!” is about the last thing I expected to see today.

Mark1971 on March 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM

If his health holds up, he could probably knock both Romney and Obama on their asses just by yelling at them.

Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Now there’s the Perry I’ve seen before. Don’t know who that bumbling fella in the debates was… hope he doesn’t come back.

itsacookbook on March 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Given the choice of a Rick Perry, Chris Christie, Rudy Giuliani, or Mitch McConnell, I will take Rick Perry. Now, if Rand jumps in, I’ll have to think long and hard about it.

john1schn on March 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM

1988 Rick Perry as a Democrat worked to get Al Gore in as a Democrat for President.

Supported Goverment getting in the health care bussiness and told Ms Clinton good work on the pre-obama care documents she worked up.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Why not do both?

Cleombrotus on March 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

That took long enough.

You are falling down on the job! Used to be you started with that.

Yeah, those turncoats are the worst. Perry is as bad as Gramm and Reagan when it comes to switching sides.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Great speech, love how he didn’t mention Christie in his list of successful Republican Governors. He lost me with his stance on in-state tuition for illegals last go around.

ctmom on March 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Linky-no-worky-sweetie

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

That’s it then. You’ve convinced me. I won’t be voting for the 1988 Rick Perry.

anuts on March 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM

ctmom on March 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I understand. Due to the way Texas law was, by law, all aliens (non Texans) got the same treatment. I didn’t like those yankees moving down here to get in state tuition either.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

he picture makes him look like Moe Green from the GOdfather.

Bradky on March 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

You nailed it.

celtic warrior on March 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Perry is just a useful fool used by the Bush’s, RNC elite, RINO’s and Karl Rove. He will run to pull conservative votes away from someone the RINO’s fear could win. He is so dumb he does not even get paid good for his gof’er work.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Here, let me help.

Perry letter defended

“If you’ll read that letter, it was straight out. Obviously, I was representing the agricultural rural interests in Texas,” Perry said. “It says listen, I hope as you go through this process for reforming health care in America, which I’m for, I didn’t want them collectively to overlook a very important constituency. My wife’s a nurse, her dad’s an old country doctor….I had no idea that was going to be the end product.”

john1schn on March 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Note to all those who prefer to hate on Republicans: we have an open door policy. You are welcome to leave our party any old time. Since you hate our leadership and insult all our elected officials, why are you still worrying about us? Leave us alone to choose our own candidates and run our own campaigns without all your useless noise.

Please realize there is already a party which hates Republican leaders and would rather see Democrats win. It’s called the “Democratic Party.” Go ahead and join them. I understand they have some lovely gifts for new members.

Adjoran on March 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Adjoran on March 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Until a democrat comes along that is more conservative than the GOP candidate, I will be voting GOP.

john1schn on March 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM

john1schn on March 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The article APACHEWHOKNOWSEVERYTINGINTHEWORLD linked kind of did that too.

But, it doesn’t stop him. He has his agenda. He will go like the Energizer Bunny until he is done.

Maybe he is a Christie shill this time.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Adjoran on March 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

But then they would have no where to rant.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Got chills. Thanks Rick!

CrimsonFisted on March 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

if we did that the USPS would be broke …. junk mail pays alot of freight.

conservative tarheel on March 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Rick Synder (Michigan) has a story to tell, too, despite the media lies and suppression of the truth. It could happen.

HopeHeFails on March 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Adjoran on March 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Since your post clearly advocates joining the “Democratic Party” perhaps you ought to take your own advice and leave us alone.

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

His speeches are like a revival ministry. And, as governor of
Texas he has less power than most if not all the other states.

He likes to take all the credit tho.

Too much crony capitalism and political payback in his resume.

If he runs, however, I would support him after he wins the primary,
not before. I will not support Jeb Bush, Chris Christie or Marco