Video: Rand Paul’s very libertarian speech at CPAC

posted at 5:41 pm on March 7, 2014 by Allahpundit

It was the most hotly anticipated speech of the day — and if you don’t believe me, here’s Charlie Spiering’s video of the standing O that Paul got when he walked out. He had three options here. One: Play it safe by finding common ground. He could have given a speech attacking government spending and all sides of the party would have found it peachy keen. Two: Show the hawks that he’s not his old man. The Crimea standoff is an easy way for him to prove that he’s not a staunch isolationist like Ron Paul is. Problem is, the libertarians who turned out today want him to resist the hawks, and the hawks won’t believe that he sincerely disagrees with his father no matter what he says. Why use an easy lay-up of a speech in front of a very friendly crowd to disappoint people?

So he chose option three: Be the civil libertarian that he is, loud and proud, and unload on the surveillance state. One of the reasons the crowd was so primed is, of course, because Paul fans tend to show in major numbers at CPAC for their guys. It’s their way of flexing a little muscle at a high-publicity event. Ron Paul won the straw poll in 2010 and 2011; Rand himself won it last year and would like to do so again tomorrow. The only thing that could prevent that, realistically, is disappointing his base today. So he didn’t. On the contrary, he chose a particular target of libertarianism that has great currency among grassroots conservatives too, at least for now. Remember this poll? The tea-party numbers are remarkable:

pe2

Spending issues aside, there’s no surer way to unify libertarians and conservatives than by attacking the NSA — again, at least for now. (I tend to agree with Phil Klein that this issue carries an expiration date for many Republicans.) And I’m glad to see him staying true to who he is. The GOP primary campaign next year will have something precious that few primaries do, a truly meaningful philosophical debate between different wings of the party. The more Paul veers towards traditional conservative position, the less interesting that debate becomes. Let’s have a real choice, even if it means that some substantial minority on the right ends up feeling very disgruntled about the next nominee. Paul does stand a chance at winning, too: Someone on Twitter today wondered if he is to 2015 what Howard Dean was to 2003 on the left, i.e. a guy whom the base gets revved up for and who falls flat in voting when the rest of the party decides he’s unelectable. If that’s what you believe, you’re not paying attention to the dynamics in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Meanwhile, slowly but surely, he and Ted Cruz are starting to flesh out their differences on foreign policy. Who’s the real Reagan between them? Stay tuned. Exit question: Do we really want future presidents quoting Pink Floyd in major addresses? C’mon, Rand. If you’re going to borrow from classic rock, at least borrow from Zep.

Comments

If you’re going to borrow from classic rock, at least borrow from Zep.

Why not, Zep borrowed from everyone else.

Great Speech, btw.

HugoDrax on March 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

There you go again, plagiarizing.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Just a quick heads up to any interested. I will be switching the heads around on this one. I like em both but Cruz has the edge now.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Yeah cause nothing says USA like quoting a Limey rock star, right?

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Prediction: Roger Waters, hardcore lefty, makes a statement distancing himself from Rand Paul, the Tea Party and expressing disappointment and outrage that a line from one of his songs is being used by a right-wing demagogue.

details at 11.

HugoDrax on March 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

HugoDrax on March 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Good point, maybe I should have said Leftist Limey rock star.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Loveeeeee me some Rand.

bazil9 on March 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Good point, maybe I should have said Leftist Limey rock star.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Perhaps you should leave Limey out, lest RWM or Scrumpy see.

Lanceman on March 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Sorry Allah, this was the safe course (given his looney supporters) not attacking government spending.

It will help him as much as the worthless potheads who couldn’t find Canada on a map but were Paulbots because Ron Paul wanted to legalize weed.

I don’t hate Rand Paul but I am more likely to vote for Chris Christie- which is to say never, even on a bet.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Paul/Cruz or Cruz/Paul… like them both.

Dark horse? Jim DeMint. He looks like Reagan.. Just sayin’

Key West Reader on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

bazil9 on March 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM

; )

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

If you’re going to borrow from classic rock, at least borrow from Zep.

Yeah we need more Lord of the Rings references in these speeches.

FadeToBolivia on March 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I my perfect world. DeMint Cruz 2016

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

; )

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

=]

bazil9 on March 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Paul/Cruz or Cruz/Paul… like them both.

Dark horse? Jim DeMint. He looks like Reagan.. Just sayin’

Key West Reader on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I like Cruz. He looks like Joe McCarthy.

Lanceman on March 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM

In

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Dang it. I keep commenting and cutting him off. Opening new tab.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Dark horse? Jim DeMint. He looks like Reagan.. Just sayin’

Key West Reader on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I’d love to see him in the mix…

OmahaConservative on March 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM

So, if Cruz or Perry make the crowd go wild it is because of what they are saying, but if Paul does it is only because his dad’s supporters are just packing the auditorium? There is no chance that people are simply interested, and looking for, an option like Rand who is much more capable of his dad to appeal to the libertarian and conservative bases?

ptcamn on March 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM

BTW- I have been to CPAC, so I have seen these crowds first hand. I am seriously asking if there is a journalistic double standard simply because of who Rand Paul’s dad is.

ptcamn on March 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM

How can you call this speech very libertarian?! I didn’t hear a single mention of pot-smoking furious ghey sex.

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Garrison

I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. No! No! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen;—but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest—I will not equivocate—I will not excuse—I will not retreat a single inch—AND I WILL BE HEARD. The apathy of the people is enough to make every statue leap from its pedestal, and to hasten the resurrection of the dead.

fascinating interconnections with today and how to fight the Left. Garrison was pro-women suffrage, friends with Fredrick Douglas, and an overall important person.

his son was an editor with The Nation early on…The Nation was a classical liberal mag..taken over by the Left much later

twists and turns…and you know, and i know, that Dr. Paul is all very aware of this. Meanwhile Rove is desperately looking thru his rolodex to see who this garrison guy is

r keller on March 7, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

You’d vote for Christie over rand????
Jeeze

blatantblue on March 7, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Rand Paul’s Christian/Jewish problem.

That is a large voting block, not to mention those that see too much of daddy in him.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Nice to see Rand speak using his strengths. It reaffirms my belief that the party of R’s shall and should be home to both Conservatives and Libertarians. May it end up being so.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM

This was a great speech. He’s taking something that everyone in America should agree on and focusing on it like a laser. The person on his team responsible for the Pink Floyd thing needs a slap upside the head. That said, the speech was was perfect in tone and focus.

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Key West Reader on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I my perfect world. DeMint Cruz 2016

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

…I would go for that!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Rand’s main problem unfortunately is his nutball father. If Rand makes a serious run, he had better lock gramps in the basement for the duration because he can sink Rand in a single interview. Ron will not be able to resist the interview offers and they will all be traps set by the liberal media.

slickwillie2001 on March 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM

…a large majority of Jews vote Republican?
…Karl?…is that you?

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

…a large majority of Jews vote Republican?
…Karl?…is that you?

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I was scratchin’ my head on that one too.

Lanceman on March 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Quoting Pink Floyd was a bit of a miss. I know he was trying to appear hip, with jeans and all, and that is a good thing. No more stuffy guys in suits if you want to get the 20-30 year-olds. But if you want to quote a musical group to appear to make a connection to that demographic, you gotta quote, some band they have heard of, say, New Kids on the Block? Backstreet Boys? Spice Girls?

HugoDrax on March 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM

…a large majority of Jews vote Republican?
…Karl?…is that you?

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

CHRISTIANS who believe in the protection of Israel and the Jewish people vote. I didn’t believe I needed to spell

that out. I was mistaken.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I love rand. Some people may sit around and think about America flexing it’s muscle abroad, but for me America is about standing for freedom here. What is he point of telling us how we stand for freedom overseas than back every crazy law that takes our civil liberties here at home. If you want to for freedom than you better protect it here.

Rand is keeping his eyes on the ball and not getting distracted by thugs popping here and there. I can’t predict the future and say he will be president, but I can say with certainty that america needs him to be president.

coolrepublica on March 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Rand Paul’s Christian/Jewish problem.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM

It’s Jennifer Rubin, natch.

rndmusrnm on March 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Rand Paul’s Christian/Jewish problem.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM

It’s Jennifer Rubin, natch.

rndmusrnm on March 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Can Jennifer Rubin read? Because she is way ahead of the curve here.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Do we really want future presidents quoting Pink Floyd in major addresses? C’mon, Rand. If you’re going to borrow from classic rock, at least borrow from Zep The Grateful Dead.

Better…

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 6:45 PM

“Will you, America,stand with me for free drugs and homo-light ‘free ‘love’ hedonistic lifestyle’ with a Libertarian twist BS, kinda, maybe, protecting ‘merica and its heretofore religious history? Oh, never mind, with my man-made curly hair, I’m all in for the Nero solve…

vnvet on March 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM

ptcamn on March 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM

You can have Perry. I’m fine with Cruz or Paul if he dumps the turtle

Brock Robamney on March 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM

It’s Jennifer Rubin, natch.

rndmusrnm on March 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, that woman is seriously unhinged. Of course, WaPo would choose the likes of her to be their house “conservative”.

Inkblots on March 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Rand Paul’s Christian/Jewish problem.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM

According to the harridan who cheer lead this nation into war in Iraq…

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM

vnvet on March 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM

That was some rant. Here’s a hanky to wipe the foam from your chin.

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Can Jennifer Rubin read? Because she is way ahead of the curve here.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You mean the way she was ahead of the curve on Iraqi WMD’s…?

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Can Jennifer Rubin read? Because she is way ahead of the curve here.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You mean the way she was ahead of the curve on Iraqi WMD’s…?

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Really? You cannot refute my original post so you change the subject? Great.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Someone with the civil libertarian stance of Senator Paul, the fire-in-the-belly of Governor Perry, the economic abilities of Governor Walker, and the Reagan-like conservatism of Senator Cruz = my perfect candidate.

But alas, people say she’s not “smart enough” to be President.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Really? You cannot refute my original post so you change the subject? Great.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Your original point was that it was the opinion of a lying harridan proven hideously wrong on ME matters in the past, that Rand Paul has upset people over Israel.

Now why should I give this lying harridan any credence on such mattes, when she has lied to me before…?

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Really? You cannot refute my original post so you change the subject? Great.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Jennifer Rubin is a clown who cries “racism” far too often. It’s lost all meaning.

Every Christian is an evil racist blah blah blah. We get it.

tetriskid on March 7, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I like Cruz. I like Paul. Put them together and you have a ticket.

Perry is a blowhard, and I’m afraid he might be a little slow.

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 7:02 PM

…I’m giving Rand some slack…he helped Cruz in his all-nighter in the Senate!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Boy watch that comment ticker roll over.

Murphy9 on March 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM

In an interview with Buzzfeed last week he declared, “There’s a big transition in the Republican Party, but also in the public. People are right about the public being war-weary. They’re right.” He llater said, “I think some within the Christian community are such great defenders of the promised land and the chosen people that they think war is always the answer, maybe even preemptive war. And I think it’s hard to square the idea of a preemptive war and, to me, that overeagerness [to go to] war, with Christianity.”

Really? You cannot refute my original post so you change the subject? Great.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM

His ORIGINAL words were what angered Christians and Jews. If it helps, here is another article not written by Jennifer Rubin.

Not Jennifer Rubin

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Yeah cause nothing says USA like quoting a Limey rock star, right?
Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Better than quoting Springsteen. I’ll take a quote from Pink Floyd, Led, Grateful Dead, Phish or Todd Rundgren anyday over the idiot from joisey. :P

AH_C on March 7, 2014 at 7:14 PM

can the gay married couple protect their marijuana plants with guns? hell yeah!!

burserker on March 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Says the “Christians United for Israel”. Me, I’ve been GOP politics for going on two decades. I’ve never heard of them.

Let’s see what The National Review has to say, shall we:

If there’s any doubt that Rand Paul isn’t his father’s son on the issue of Israel, that trip and his posture afterwards should have ended it. He returned to the U.S. to tell Breitbart News, “Absolutely we stand with Israel. What I think we should do is announce to the world — and I think it is pretty well known — that any attack on Israel will be treated as an attack on the United States.”

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Allahpundit:

(I tend to agree with Phil Klein that this issue (NSA) carries an expiration date for many Republicans.)

I have to say, if this is true, I am disgusted by that news. I did not like the Patriot Act’s more onerous provisions, but grumbled mostly in private. But when I saw what they did with it (turned it into a mass surveillance bill), I wisened up. This, in addition to the IRS scandal has led me to know that neither party can be trusted with this kind of authority.

If someone plays the game and says it isn’t a big deal if our party is in power, then they are no better than the Democrats. I would like to believe that conservatives have more intellectual honesty than that.

h a p f a t on March 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Of course, Naftali Bennett doesn’t look terribly concerned while meeting with Rand Paul. Maybe he knows something that dishonest hacks at the WaPo, or third-rate pastors trying to make a name for themselves on the fundraising circuit don’t know…

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Azzhole reporter, who claims objectivity.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Idiots of the land

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Rand Paul is the candidate that excites the youth. Awesome speech!

Will the GOP finally realize the old white man mantra is over Probably not

We have Rubio, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Jindal, Christie

It’s time for the old guard to give up their power and elect a nominee who has a shot….you can’t win elections when you give up 200 plus electoral before the voting starts

Redford on March 7, 2014 at 7:41 PM

In an interview with Buzzfeed last week he declared, “There’s a big transition in the Republican Party, but also in the public. People are right about the public being war-weary. They’re right.” He later said, “I think some within the Christian community are such great defenders of the promised land and the chosen people that they think war is always the answer, maybe even preemptive war. And I think it’s hard to square the idea of a preemptive war and, to me, that overeagerness [to go to] war, with Christianity.”

You can keep spinning, but these are Rand’s words in an interview with Buzzfeed. If one Jennifer Rubin took it one way, the dishonest hack, the third rate pastor took it the same way, they are still Rand Paul’s words. National Review is supposed to save the day, come on. Really? Still his words and if he decides to run for office, well, you know the rest.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I’m withholding judgment on Rand Paul for now. Libertarians are notorious squishes on immigration, so I’m wary. It’s a deal-breaker for me. But I really do like hearing a politician talking in a meaningful way about Unalienable Rights and the U.S. Constitution.

Murf76 on March 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM

And what, exactly, is wrong with those words, other than a dishonest harridan found them fit to put on fishwrap? Some “Christians” look at Israel as an excuse to make war in the Middle East, even when Israeli leaders think war isn’t the most prudent path…

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Rand Paul is the candidate that excites the youth. Awesome speech!

Will the GOP finally realize the old white man mantra is over Probably not

We have Rubio, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Jindal, Christie

Redford on March 7, 2014 at 7:41 PM

They have to be at least 35 years of age, friend. Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are not eligible yet.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Murf76 on March 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Immigration is a deal-breaker for nearly all of us, but given recent history it seems odd to pick on Libertarians?

/mentally goes through list of GOPe candidates

Okay, anybody left? LOL

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Most of those “Christians”, as you put it, push the R button. That’s what’s wrong. Angering your own side, just ask John McCain about it.

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM

But alas, people say she’s not “smart enough” to be President.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

People are strange Lyrics.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Oops. Allow me to try that again.

People Are Strange

Lyrics

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM

AH_C on March 7, 2014 at 7:14 PM

No doubt. Stinksteen can suck it. Never did care for the bastard after he dissed Clarence.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM

It appears to me that you missed the point.

Without liberty, freedom and our government adhering to the constitution, etc.
we will not have access to good jobs, healthcare, etc.

Without our individual rights to freedom and liberty we will not have the opportunity or right
to complain about our government (see IRS vs. Tea Party).

Unless we push back against a corrupt and increasing intrusive
government, none of the rest matters!

Amjean on March 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I think one of the problems with Ron is every nutter idea floating around in his head is delivered in a cranky, raspy, old man whine. Rand better run before his voice changes.

I hope he does run and win because he’s the only one I trust with power.

HellCat on March 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Sorry. Was John McCain not pro-Israel enough now????

Just what would be enough in that case? Is anyone short of Netanyahu too squishy?

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM

/mentally goes through list of GOPe candidates

Okay, anybody left? LOL

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Granted, Rand Paul is a Republican, so we can’t say he’s going to necessarily toe the LP line, but when you check the platform, it’s the same old song and dance about how legalization isn’t the same as giving amnesty.

For those workers already in the United States illegally, we can avoid “amnesty” and still offer a pathway out of the underground economy. Newly legalized workers can be assessed fines and back taxes and serve probation befitting the misdemeanor they’ve committed. They can be required to take their place at the back of the line should they eventually apply for permanent residency.

More.. http://www.lp.org/issues/immigration

It’s the same kind of crap we’re hearing from every RINO in the GOP Establishment herd. You can’t say someone is “at the back of the line” unless they’re waiting in their country of origin like legal applicants have to do.

In terms of “who’s left standing?”. Looks like it may be only Ted Cruz. I’ll tell you this though… I’m going with whoever is willing to fight that fight. If 2016 turns into an election between a pro-amnesty Republican and a pro-amnesty Democrat, I really WILL vote third party or stay home. I’m done playing word games with political panderers.

Murf76 on March 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Correction: Rand Paul does not believe in legalizing pot. He believes in the right of individual states to legalize pot if they so choose. For Rand, it is an issue of the 10th Amendment, and I respect him for it. And there is NOTHING looney about libertarians. I really wish the far right would stop the demonization of libertarians. What is wrong with standing on the 10th Amendment and fiscal responsibility?

idalily on March 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM

AMEN. And I see no reason why the two sides snipe at each other. Let it go already and ally against the REAL enemy: The Left.

I love Rand. But I love Cruz more.

idalily on March 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Cheese Wheel on March 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Most of those “Christians” can think enough for themselves to know whether or not Paul was talking about them.

He wasn’t talking about this Christian, so I am not angry. Most serious “Christians” agree with this:

Sadly, there are some who claim to be Christian who want to see the Middle East blow up (and even push for it) because they think it will usher in THE 2nd COMING.

questionmark on March 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM

But alas, people say she’s not “smart enough” to be President.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I like the chimera idea!

Now, if we can only find someone who won’t be kicked in the head going out of the gate (and that’s just by the Republicans).

However, I would vote for SP again over any candidate of the Democrats.

AesopFan on March 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM

The Rick Perry CPAC thread has way more comments…does that mean Perry wins?? :-)

Jack_Burton on March 8, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Will Ron Paul win the straw vote again this year or was Rand’s speech enough to sway the votes to him.

TfromV on March 8, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Wow! Really?

He says, “My sense is outside of libertarian wing, though, a lot of the new found conservative purity on civil liberties would dissipate w GOP prez.”

If that means NSA — It’s either more of that Hayek-styled misunderstanding about what it means to be a conservative, or a gross misunderstanding about the problem with the NSA. If it’s the former, it could mean anything from belief that, once back in power, conservatives will continue to push legislation for the “missionary position” to be America’s official position, to belief that conservatives will continue to try to make Jesus the official National Bird. If it’s the latter — someone needs to call him and let him know that limited government is part of the foundation of conservatism.

This might be a category error on my part, too — you said Republicans; he uses the word “conservative” against the acronym “GOP,” and I’m not really sure what he’s thinking.

–Wait. Is this more of that BS where the GOP candidate pretends to care and then forgets he was pretending after a good night’s sleep in the White House?

. . . strike everything I said.

Axe on March 8, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Now if only you religious wackos would STFU and keep your inbreed hillbilly snake handling christian Taliban nonsense in your diseased brains things would get better.Libertarianism is freedom from both Republicraat and demican idiocy.

Your Mamma loves me on March 8, 2014 at 7:23 AM

“Preemptive war” is not hard to square with Christianity. It’s an oxymoron people used to describe shooting first when they didn’t want us to shoot at all. Nothing in Christianity requires you to wait until you or your family are shot.

“I think some within the Christian community are such great defenders of the promised land and the chosen people that they think war is always the answer, maybe even preemptive war.”

^ That particular part is indefensible. It’s aimed at the ardent Evangelicals, it isn’t true as a broad description, and it’s lumping those Evangelicals in with the secular, progressive hawks of the GOP — like McCain. These are different people. Being willing to make war on Israel’s behalf, whenever, wherever, however, unconditionally, should it ever be required, is a complete commitment to Israel, and he seems to be taking that sentiment as war mongering. But never meeting a war he didn’t like is for the McCain crowd. And if I were wrong about that — it would still be a crazy thing to put out there, politically.

He could sift these two camps better by looking at what they will talk about when you ask them about America’s “exceptionalism.” One group will talk about God having a hand in founding America, the people of America following and learning from him and creating a society that walked in abundance, America being blessed by God, and so on — and even used to promote great good throughout the world and oppose several great evils in the last century. The other group will quote Spider-Man: With great power comes great responsibility.

. . . There’s more in that thing. There’s this:

Paul also finds plenty to dislike in his own party’s approach to beating the war drum — particularly the theological overtones of the Bush years.

No quote is provided to back that up. “The theological overtones” of the Bush years, in the context of making war — he thought he was on a mission from Gad — that’s all progressive fantasy, or nightmare — bogeyman. Bush talked about Jesus and they squirmed in their seats and attached what was apparently a feeling of lowering sky to everything he ever did or said. Clinton, who talked about God more than Bush did, caused no one to squirm at all. Wonder why.

It’s not possible for me to trust that thing beyond the long quotes.

Axe on March 8, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Jennifer Rubin is a hack. She certainly doesn’t speak for this Jew, who would vote for Rand Paul. He is not my top choice, but would be a solid candidate.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on March 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Paul was smart to focus on a “libertarian” issue sure to strike a chord not only among his “liberloon” base but also traditional conservatives.But as the campaign unfolds and he is forced to elaborate on social issues the divide will grow and ultimately derail his candidacy.The coalition that has in the past worked to elect conservatives has ben destroyed.The differences between RINOs and conservatives,conservatives and libertarians,and hawks and isolationists make it unlikely that neither a Republican,a conservative nor libertarian will ever win the Presidency.The socialist progressives are united in their jihad to transform America into a European Socialist country.We are not united in a crusade to stop them.I believe the battle is aready lost.

redware on March 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Your Mamma loves me on March 8, 2014 at 7:23 AM

You have got to get some new material dude. Boring as heII.

Bmore on March 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM

That is some high quality fever swamp crystal right there Gomer.

Have you thoroughly scrubbed your bathroom and forearms yet?

Murphy9 on March 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM