McCain: I want Ted Cruz to apologize to Bob Dole

posted at 2:21 pm on March 7, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via Matt Lewis, here’s Maverick once again demonstrating that “cordial relationship” in politico-speak means “two people who can’t publicly admit to hating each other but obviously do.”

And it’s a cheap shot. Cruz’s point yesterday at CPAC was that Dole, McCain, and Romney lost because they weren’t conservative enough. That’s not because they’re gutless — he said specifically that they were “good” and “decent” men — but because they’re not committed, full-throated ideologues, even less so when they’re fighting for purple states in a national election. We can debate whether that’s true but there’s nothing offensive in raising the subject. I assure you, in McCain’s circle, it’s received wisdom that Cruz and Rand Paul are way too ideological to beat Hillary. Nothing offensive about that theory either. McCain, though, can’t resist seizing on Cruz’s point as an opportunity to demagogue him as being somehow contemptuous of military service. Evidently, if you think Bob Dole would have done better against Clinton by drawing a more vivid philosophical contrast, you’re accusing a war hero of cowardice. That’s a very Maverick-y take, given that McCain’s own campaign six years ago heavily emphasized biography over ideology. It still galls him, I’m sure, that a guy who spent years suffering for his country in the Hanoi Hilton lost to the community organizer turned law prof. I can sympathize with that, but election outcomes aren’t an award for heroism. And disgruntlement over that fact is no license to distort Cruz’s point in order to score a cheap point on him.

And by the way, despite what he says, McCain obviously takes great offense that he himself was included in the triad named by Cruz. He’s playing it off like he’s offended only on Dole’s behalf because that makes him seem magnanimous, especially given Dole’s age and the fact that he’s no longer part of the political fray. Everything he says here, though, logically applies just as much to him. If you think it’s bad form per se to accuse a veteran of being a RINO, regardless of how he votes in Congress or what positions he takes on the stump, then you’re on Team Mav. If not, not. Exit question: If you want to challenge Cruz on this point, why not knock the fact that it’s easy for a red-stater to be myopic about it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Meow

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Cruz, the 1 term senator and historical judge of all things conservative. Laughable,

cimbri on March 8, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Dear Lord it is time for him to do the Douglas MacArthur!

Momma on March 8, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Cruz’s point was only accurate with regard to McCain (I guess the full throated part?). Dole ran as a solid conservative, who had been working night and day to get the balanced budget amendment passed through the senate. We had a 3rd party that year run and siphon votes, and of course, Clinton had a good economy.

The only guy possibly to the right of Romney 2012 is Cruz, so how did he not run as a conservative? Bunch of nonsense by Cruz. This narrative has been going around for a long time, basically since Reagan beat the hapless Jimmy Carter, the worst president in the 20th century.

cimbri on March 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM

cimbri on March 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Obama was demonstrably worse than Carter, yet a) Romney couldn’t demonstrate that, and b) couldn’t beat the worst President since Carter.

de rigueur on March 8, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I swear to God that McCain was a “Manchurian Candidate” medically created by the VC to Contaminate American Press Coverage and Politics………no actual American named John McCain EVER went to Vietnam…….one only Came HERE from the Medical Experiment Labs of the VC!!

williamg on March 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM

I didn’t think it was possible – but I actually believe that McCain is MORE Megalomaniacal, Egotistical, Destructive and Hate-able than Harry Reid!!

williamg on March 8, 2014 at 1:22 AM

“McCain: I want Ted Cruz to apologize to Bob Dole”

I’d like McCain to apologize personally to the relatives of every person run over by an illegal alien, but I may have to wait.

David Blue on March 8, 2014 at 1:29 AM

The only guy possibly to the right of Romney 2012 is Cruz….

cimbri on March 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Have you been drinking?

My views are progressive” – Mitt Romney

In 1992, Romney voted in the Democratic presidential primary for Paul Tsongas, one of the most liberal Democrats in the Senate, saying Tsongas’ views were closer to his own than Bill Clinton’s.

Romney donated to the 1992 campaign of U.S. Rep. Dick Swett, a New Hampshire Democrat; Rep. John LaFalce, a New York Democrat; and Democrat Doug Anderson, who was running for the Senate from Utah.

“It is now my pleasure to introduce my collaborator and friend Senator Edward Kennedy.” – Mitt Romney

‘I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that.’ – Mitt Romney

These carbon emission limits will provide real and immediate progress in the battle to improve our environment. – Mitt Romney

Mr. Romney joined activists outside an aging, coal-fired plant in 2003 to show his commitment to the emissions caps. “I will not create jobs or hold jobs that kill people, and that plant, that plant kills people,” he said.

Romney said in a press release touting Massachusetts as “the first and only state to set CO2 emissions limits on power plants.”

GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney’s camp is defending a controversial program he created that handed out free wheels to Massachusetts welfare recipients — including state-funded insurance and AAA memberships…

Supported TARP
Supported auto bailouts
Supported ethanol subsidies

‘I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.’ – Mitt Romney

“He [Romney] is a supporter of the federal assault weapons ban.”
- Romney 2002 campaign website

“We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts; I support them,” he said. “I won’t chip away at them; I believe they protect us and provide for our safety.” – Mitt Romney

“I feel that all people should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation.” – Mitt Romney

And my campaign has made it very clear: the President’s cuts of $716 billion to Medicare, those cuts are going to be restored if I become President and Paul Ryan becomes Vice President. – Mitt Romney

Romney…

supported McCain-Feingold “campaign finance reform”,
supported McCain-Kennedy “comprehensive immigration reform” (i.e. amnesty)

supported “carbon cap and trade” bill

instituted same-sex “marriage” in Massachusetts.

opposed the Bush Tax Cuts.

And that is without even mentioning Romneycare.

sharrukin on March 8, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Apologies to Roger Moore. I did forget Beau Maverick, who replaced Bret (James Garner) when he quit the show. Funny trivia; Roger Moore took the gig after Sean Connery turned it down.

In any event, all of them were better Mavericks than Grandpa McCain.

IndieDogg on March 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM

But not better than Lucas McCain.

HiJack on March 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM

True that, sir. The McCoy Mule Punch would come in handy right about now.

IndieDogg on March 8, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Oh, wait, I screwed that up. He’s talking about The Rifleman.

Okay, too tired. Better go to sleep now. Over and out.

IndieDogg on March 8, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Shockingly, Meghan McCain also isn’t a fan of Ted Cruz:

bluegill on March 8, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Blow me, McCain.

jaime on March 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM

And that is without even mentioning Romneycare.

sharrukin on March 8, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Note that I said “Romney 2012″. That removes a lot of dead wood from your post, but point taken.

cimbri on March 8, 2014 at 4:31 AM

No fool like an old fool. McCain is little more than a cliché.

zoyclem on March 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM

It is time for this buffoonish oaf to either retire or be retired by the people of Arizona! I am now sick and tired of this dinosaur RINO who obviously hates conservatives and sees organizations like the Tea Party less as allies and more like threats!

pilamaye on March 8, 2014 at 5:46 AM

There was once a generation of Americans that went off to war, suffered, sacrificed, came home and were never the same. They got on with their lives and hardly ever mentioned what they had done and seen in saving the world. McCain had one experience of brilliance in his long, wealthy, powerful life as a POW and has milked it to the point of being offensive. Now, he applies the template to Dole in order to attack a political foe in the same party. Go away, John.

Hening on March 8, 2014 at 6:41 AM

I would like John McCain to apologize for throwing the election in 2008. The Maverick is no better than the one by Ford.

brentspolemics on March 8, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Cimbri,”Romney 2012″. So I see Romney was Conservative in 2012, but what about 2013? Or 2014? Would it have been OK, to have been less Conservative after the election?

So now you demonstrate the problem many of us have with the GOP(E) and Romney… you’re derivative when it suits you, but then you can be more “flexible” and “grow”. And you wonder why we distrust you and Romney.

H’s Rooney spent 2008-12 REPUDIATIN all those things he’d previously said, and explained where he was wrong and why, and what he now perceived the correct answers to; I’d have felt better. He didn’t…. INSTEAD, he and you acted as if all theta was in the past and didn’t count…I believe our current POTUS says, “Merely words”… or as Hillary said, “At this point what difference does it make?” Right?

JFKY on March 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Yesterday’s column by Steyn : http://www.steynonline.com/6151/where-the-action-is

The last paragraph descibes McCain, Dole, Romney, and all the other establishment Rs to a t :

So, no, I’m not particularly focused on a Tuesday in November in 2016. Liberals understand that it’s
in the 729 days between elections that you win all the prizes that matter, on all the ground conservatives have largely abandoned.

When they had the power and the numbers they moved only a little slower in the same direction the left has been taking us.

questionmark on March 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM

If McCain believes only a “moderate” Republican can be competitive and win a presidential election , why would he not think two moderates on the ticket would be even better?

When is he going to come out once and for all and say he lost in ’08 because of Palin. It sure sounds like he wants to.

lynncgb on March 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM

McCain becomes more of a Democrat everyday. Finding insult to Sen. Dole, personally, in Ted Cruz’s words is right out of the victims handbook used widely by the Left.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I’m still looking for the line to stand in where I can get my vote back. I actually voted just for SP, thinkin’ that if they won, Juan, being an old coot, wouldn’t last too much longer and she’d take over. If you think Killary has a thin resume, his only spells loser.

Kissmygrits on March 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I want McCain to apologize to the rest of us.

JohnSobeit on March 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM

America didn’t have a chance in 2008.

David Blue on March 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM

McCain is just not in step with the far right. Winston Churchill (whom many point to as being the greatest conservative of the 20th century) switched parties twice: From conservative to liberal and then back to conservative. He would not toe the far left or far right line. He said that taking the middle course is where the truth is most often found. His retort on crossing the aisle a second time:

“Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain amount of ingenuity to re-rat.” – Winston Churchill

Dave Turson on March 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

rino MCLAME has been Mavericking against conservatives and republicans for decades

that’s why the liberal media loves him

he only knows he has an R by his name at Reelection time

and any time you critize him he whips out the war hero card faster than a liberal tosses the race card for Obama

lieralism or McCain liberal light is not working

sniffles1999 on March 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Time for this Rino to disappear from public life. He’s up for re election in 2016 so we will have to hear from him until that time. Cotton in your ears helps with that problem.

regmgr on March 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I want John McCain to STFU and retire!

flytier on March 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Once again McCain confirms my decision to not vote for him in 2008.

Over50 on March 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I disagree with Ted Cruz–the three he named are all gutless and McCain should apologize to every conservative who voted for him in 2008 and should apologize twice for not going after Barack Obama full-bore in the 2008 campaign.

stukinIL4now on March 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

McCain owes America people two apologies. One for claiming he is a Republican and the embarrassment he has brought down on all America loving people. And one for his loud mouth, chubby, bottle blond daughter who also claims to be a Republican so she can further embarrass the Republican party.

pwb on March 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

McCain is just not in step with the far rightReality and the Constitution

FIFY.

Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I wonder what sections of the Constitution Sen. McCain is out of step with. Can the Supreme Court settle the issues?

Dave Turson on March 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Senator McCain needs to apologize to the American people!

Krupnikas on March 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

and I want you to change your party affiliation

steveracer on March 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM

jaime on March 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Which one?

BigAlSouth on March 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM

McCain blames conservatives for his failed primary for the 2000 GOP presidential nomination when the very conservative Alan Keyes backed him into a corner and made McCain admit that he wasn’t truly pro-life. McCain has hated conservatives ever since.

TXJenny on March 8, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Pro-amnesty John McCain is a disgrace.

bluegill on March 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM

JFKY on March 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I reject your point in bringing up 2013, 2014, etc. I simply pointed out that by 2012, Romney had long since dropped his moderate stances on a few issues from back in the 1990s, etc. Romney ran as the most conservative candidate in modern history. Sorry some people still did’t get that, and made excuses not to vote or stay home.

cimbri on March 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Drudge currently has a 2016 presidential poll on his first page. Ted Cruz is currently leading. Go here to vote:

bluegill on March 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Cruz should apologize, but he is self aggrandizing jerk, so that won’t happen. His followers are fine with him making snide remarks about war heroes. After all, he is a true conservative and they are above silly little rules such as common courtesy.

Cruz is an Ivy League guy married to a Goldman Sachs exec who brays against the elite. He made millions of dollars off of people by promising he could defund Obamacare when that was not going to happen and he had to know that.I don’t care what convoluted crap his supporters come up with, defunding Obamacare was from the outset a scam. They did not have the votes and even if they had shut down the government Obamacare was still going to be funded along with social security. Unless he is stupid, he had to know that. And he is not stupid.

He raises money to run ads against other Republicans, supports the Senate Conservative Fund, which to date as gotten more Democrats elected than conservatives and make a habit of making his party look bad…all the while he uses it to advance his own ambitions…

Terrye on March 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Exactly.

bluegill on March 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Agree and he must also stop trashing all of his conservative contemporaries.

rplat on March 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM

He raises money to run ads against other Republicans…

Terrye on March 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Happens. Probably kills you that the founding father of the modern American conservative movement and card-carrying Republican Wm. F. Buckley, Jr., raised money (“BuckPac”) to take out a sitting Republican senator, too. And succeeded.

de rigueur on March 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Terrye on March 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Add the part when the GOP abandoned Cucinelli in Virginia.. Now tell me, to contrast Cruz from the status quo GOPe, what is one principle that they will not budge on? What do they stand for?

Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I want McCain to go jump in the lake.

Alana on March 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Hey Chipmunk. Apologize to the hand.

chuckh on March 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Always they go to MSNBC to backstab. Home of the scum.

Texyank on March 9, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Romney could have and should have won. Under the circumstances, Jesus would have lost to Obama. We are doomed as a country when experienced, competent, honest people are destroyed by the media.

fishstick on March 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM

He’s still alive?
The Republican Party’s Abe Vigoda

What a worthless pile of backstabbing lying crap

TexasJew on March 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM

livetsown on March 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Says much about the modern United States, and much about Mr. McCain’s inability to understand that modernity.

unclesmrgol on March 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Americans are still waiting for Grandpa Munster to apologize for insisting that shouting “Allahu Akbar” is equivalent to a Christian saying “Thank God.” McRino also claimed that Syrian Qaedists are “moderates and I guarantee you they are moderates.”

Remember Season 1, Episode 5 when Syrian moderates wanted to run a blood pipeline straight into Grampa McCain’s basement laboratory? Good times.

Terp Mole on March 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I want Senaor (For Life) John McCain to appologize to the People of Arizona.

Missilengr on March 9, 2014 at 9:07 PM

This is all about the RINO’s trying to protect their Washington DC Lifestyle. Cruz is a threat to them and they want to discredit him at every turn. Nothing more, nothing less.

If anyone owes an apology it is McCain for all the bad legislation he has supported. His Stance on Immigration. And his biggest Apology should be for running a crappy campaign in 2008 and letting this disaster get elected in the first place.

Nat George on March 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM

We all wear thin with the American people…
–John McCain (defending Obama)–

Terp Mole on March 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Has McCain apologized to his Arizona constituents yet?

Maricopa County Republicans Censure Sen. John McCain

Whereas Sen. McCain has campaigned as a conservative and made promises during his re-election campaigns, such as the needed and welcomed promise to secure our borders and finish the border fence, only to quickly flip-flop on those promises; and whereas McCain has abandoned our core values and has been eerily silent against liberals, yet publicly reprimands conservatives in his own party, therefore

Be it hereby resolved that the Maricopa County Republican leadership censures Sen. McCain for his continued disservice to our state and nation…

Terp Mole on March 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM

“Sheees. How about if gullible US voters, including we conservatives, take a break for awhile from electing eager-beaver, totally unseasoned, know-it-all, first-term senators for, oh, about 50 years. Maybe Cruz and Rubio can talk to us about running for commander in chief in 20 years. They’re ridiculous. Rubio now setting out a global national security doctrine? What a joke.

livetsown on March 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM”

Riiiiiiiight! Cause, you know, nominating old RINOs like Dole, Juan McVain, and to a certain extent Mitt (I can work with liberals) Romney turned out so well for us!

” McCain is right, Cruz is becoming a national joke. I liked him in the beginning but he has entered crazy land and misreads the American people. Romney lost because the wolf pack media assisted the Obama admin. to destroy a good, decent man. Never in my life have I seen the media take such a role in electing their guy. They covered for Obama, lied about his record and slandered Romney as a clueless rich guy with no morals. The fact that our press bared its teeth to re elect the black guy is tragic.

fishstick on March 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM”

Cruz is such a frigging joke
I watch MSLSD when I’m doing coke
Little lambs led off to slaughter
To drink koolaid you need some water
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
Yes Jesus loves me
The Libtards tell me so!

“McCain has been riding on the coattails of his military service in the last century way too long. McCain and Dole are not “owed” the Presidency because of their military service. They sound like a bunch of liberals screaming that they are owed welfare. Running on a platform of “hey, I served in the military, make me your president” only gets you so far. You actually have to stand for something to get votes
Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Agree and he must also stop trashing all of his conservative contemporaries.

rplat on March 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM”

You had me all the way until you said ‘conservative contemporaries’
but I believe that that was a mis-speak !!! Am I right rplat? hehe

GKChesterton99 on March 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM

And I want a Gull Wing Mercedes.

PS Shut Up Mav.