Juan Williams: Treatment of Condi Rice by Rutgers a hateful liberal double standard for black conservatives

posted at 12:01 pm on March 7, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The rejection of Condoleezza Rice as a commencement speaker at Rutgers by its faculty council won’t surprise many Hot Air readers. It doesn’t surprise Fox News commentator and generally liberal Juan Williams, but he’s not shrugging it off, either. Williams, who has written about the shocking treatment of black conservatives by his supposedly enlightened liberal brethren, makes sure to note this episode as yet another marker in a long arc of hatred and bigotry against African-Americans who dare to challenge liberal orthodoxy — even Juan Williams himself:

There is a disgraceful double standard amongst liberals, particularly those in academia, in the hatred they direct at black conservatives.

We saw this last April when the conservative neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson was forced to step down as a Commencement Speaker for Johns Hopkins University (where he ably served as the head of pediatric neurosurgery).

Liberals on the Hopkins campus mobilized against Carson because he criticized President Obama’s health care reform law and said that he opposed gay marriage.

I am not a conservative but I have spoken out for years against the staggering amount blind hatred directed at black conservatives by liberals.

Liberals are shockingly quick to demean and dismiss brilliant black people like Rice, Carson, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC), Professor Walter E. Williams and economist Thomas Sowell because they don’t fit into the role they have carved out for a black person in America.

Black Americans must be obedient liberals on all things or risk being called a race traitor or an Uncle Tom.

In part, this is a power play more than anything else. The faculty at Rutgers don’t want to deal with people who oppose their preferred policies, or more importantly, cause others in their little bubbles to think critically about the only sanctioned ideology in those bubbles, either. In that sense, there is no double standard at work here — Jim DeMint and John Bolton would be just as unwelcome at Rutgers as Condoleezza Rice is and Clarence Thomas would be.

That is in itself a double standard. The same faculty who would protest if pushed out the door of their sinecures over political disagreements as a violation of academic freedom suddenly refuse to offer that same courtesy to the administration in its choice of commencement speakers, or to invited guests of the university. Rather than simply declien to attend or encourage others to do the same, they want heterodoxy silenced. ‘Freedom for me but not for thee’ is hardly a consistent approach to liberty, but it’s at least consistent with the sanctioned ideology they’re protecting.

Still, the vitriol of the reactions to Rice, Thomas, Scott, and the rest goes beyond even that double standard. The attacks on them as Uncle Toms and house slaves (and worse) show the place that politics and identity hold in the progressive mindset. It’s inexplicable to progressives that a black man growing up in the South might value individual liberty over group identity and be suspicious of government power, and so the only explanation for Clarence Thomas is that he’s insufficiently black. It’s not just on ethnicity, either, but also on gender. Take a look at the unhinged and ignorant rant by Jamie Stiehm attacking Sonia Sotomayor for her insufficient woman-ness by issuing a temporary stay in the Little Sisters of the Poor case against the HHS mandate. Steihm couldn’t be bothered to do even minimal research before branding Sotomayor a gender traitor over a meaningless pause in enforcement.

What is it called when someone assumes that people have to act and believe in a certain way based on the color of their skin or the composition of their genitals? The word is on the tip of my tongue …

Update: It’s 6:19 pm here at CPAC, and I just got a chance to read the comments — where I found out I’d gotten the “freedom for me but not for thee” backwards. Ugh. I’ve fixed it, but I wanted to make sure I acknowledged the error.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obviously, YOU don’t know what “diversity” really means…

ladyingray on March 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Methinks Lady, you misunderstood what Wade was displaying. He lifted an excerpt from Rutgers to showcase the folly of what they claim to be diversity. His intention was not agreement, rather ridicule. Whether or not he answered you rudely is a matter of interpretation.

Neitherleftorright on March 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Juan is treading dangerously near the buried “invisible fence” wire that runs around the perimeter of the Democrat plantation. He’s strayed before, with painful results, and he’d better hope that the battery is a little low in his current shock-collar.

bofh on March 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Karmashock on March 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM

You forgot that the KKK was the democrat party militia in the South and that Martin Luther King was a Republican. But mostly, you and Juan Williams forget that it is other Blacks who help keep other Blacks on the democrat plantation, the same way Black Africans sold their ancestors into slavery so many years ago.

I think it is an apt analogy and one that should be repeated often.

Blacks are their own worst enemy and always have been.

earlgrey on March 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

earlgrey on March 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Next time someone rehashes the idea of reparations for slavery, I’d like to hear someone say – “That sounds like a great idea. Let’s go talk to those African tribes who actually sold your ancestors into slavery and get some of that money back for you.”

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Once again Liberals prove which party…
1) Is the party filled with intolerant, partisan, hypocritical racists…
2) Is waging a ‘War on Women’…

easyt65 on March 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

earlgrey on March 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

…Cummings comes to mind!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

…Bmore!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Shot: Rutgers Student Newspaper: “In fact, we don’t think that it’s appropriate for any politician.””
blammm on March 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Interesting little point here – but what elected office has Condi ever held that would technically make her a “politician”?

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Stuck in a Rut-gers.

The racists at Rutgers haven’t yet figured out that Condi Rice was a much more competent Secretary of State than her white successor in the job (HRC).

Steve Z on March 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Once in a while Juan gets it right. He usually makes my otherwise passive wife scream at the TV along with Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Beckel etc. etc. You get the picture.

Jackson on March 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM

That’s because in this particular back alley, Juan has been mugged. Like the ditzy Kirsten Powers who was mugged on Egypt/Libya because she has relatives in danger there, and on Obamacare because her premiums shot up, liberals need to be mugged to catch on.

Nevertheless, both Williams and Powers will remain hardcore lefties on all other issues. Liberals not only need to be mugged, but mugged on every possible issue that makes them hardcore lefties.

slickwillie2001 on March 7, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I agree with Juan about twice a year, this is one of the times he is correct.

RJL on March 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

What happened to the “perfessor”? This would have been a taylor-made thread for him/her/it.

kingsjester on March 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I agree with Juan about twice a year, this is one of the times he is correct.

RJL on March 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I’d guess Juan was a bit conflicted on this.
On the one hand, he himself is a big purveyor of hateful liberal double standards for black conservatives; and on theother, well she’s black.
Which side to come out on – coin toss….

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Welcome to the party, pal.

jmtham156 on March 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Juan Williams. He proves the saying that even a stopped clock is right twice a day. – NavyMustang on March 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Williams was burned by NPR. I don’t Williams are anyone all the time, but he has earned my respect.

SC.Charlie on March 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Oh, I respect the guy. It’s not that Juan doesn’t know anything; it’s just that so much of what he knows is totally wrong. I listen to him every time he’s on Fox and he is out to lunch on most every issue he chimes in on.

(Apologies to Reagan)

NavyMustang on March 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I guess if I told someone to follow the philosophy of “Carpe Diem” Nomennovum would consider me a snob. I guess anyone who is educated and reads a great deal is to be ridiculed. To use an Shakespearan phrase “Me Thinks he doth protest too much.”

logicman_1998 on March 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Thinks he doth protest too much.”

logicman_1998 on March 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ohhhhh how gauche to use a fancy word like doth.
Thou must think thou ist so perspicacious.
No more bloviating – we want pithy.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM

ummm…. So Juan, when will you come to your senses and escape?

mikeintsn on March 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Condi is not conservative?

She is quite conservative compared to most in D.C., and most in our most powerful political entity, the media.

The fact that most here are more conservative than her is meaningless.

We are the fringe, not the mainstream.

Meremortal on March 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM

The flukers don’t realize that obama is more of a fascist on all things…dummies abound.

Nation of idiots!!!

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Another example of the war on black women by the left. Condi may not be a conservative but she certainly isn’t a moonbat liberal.

Kingfisher on March 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

..all this aside, I always liked that picture of Dr Rice. It certainly depicts a very beautiful woman of great intelligence and a lovely soul.

Taking into account the festering sleaze that oozes all over the WH including the current FLOTUS, DOS, and the cabinet, it makes me yearn for the days when people of this quality and integrity manned the posts of our government.

The War Planner on March 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

How cool would it be if Condi came out as gay? We’d suddenly own three of the Dems most crucial constituencies.

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM

ummm…. So Juan, when will you come to your senses and escape?

mikeintsn on March 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM

..let him stay on the plantation; his son, Raffi, escaped and currently doing the Lord’s work.

The War Planner on March 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I never understood the use of Uncle Tom as a derogation. As I recall from the book, he was a noble, selfless man who even sacrificed his life to buy time to allow some other slaves to escape the horrors of Simon Legree.

MJBrutus on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I’m not positive – since it’s been over 50 years since I read the book – but I believe that U.T. chose to remain a slave (on the plantation, as it were) in order to facilitate the escape of others to freedom. He sacrificed himself so that others could live free.
Those who use Uncle Tom as a denigration tell only part of his story – usually out of ignorance. Most haven’t actually read the book.

Solaratov on March 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I’ve heard Condi speak – at a Big Ten university. Obviously Rutgers is choosing to joing the jerks in Madison as opposed to the more academically diverse universities of its new conference.

She actually was quite engaging and gave an excellent talk on self reliance. I realize she holds some views I cannot quite square, but she is intelligent, a woman of substance, unlike this admin’s Sec of States have been. If Hillary had half her resume, she would be much more formidable.

Too bad for the students, it would have been worth their while.

Zomcon JEM on March 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM

So, Snookie is OK to speak at Rutgers but Condi isn’t?

Well, “F” them… and the horse they rode in on…

Khun Joe on March 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Yep. Effing horses.

We told that’s where that SSM nonsense would lead.

I suppose they’ll want a special cake, too.

Solaratov on March 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

We told y’all… ;-)

Solaratov on March 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

You can read people’s minds? DeMint and Bolton wouldn’t be invited in the first place. They invite Condi then dis-invite her, smear her and talk about what a despot she is/was. Condi is a great American and has served her country well and deserves better than this.

Herb on March 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Being fair is not just a conservative feature. It is just that it seems to be a relatively rare feature in liberal dialog.

A person can be liberal or progressive yet still be appalled at the treatment of someone whose philosophy or ideas the person does not agree with.

Many Some liberal/progressives have the idea that, as more advanced than the ordinary person, they are only acting to improve the lot of ordinary people (even if those ordinary people have to be forced to adhere to the “better” course that has been prescribed). It is inconcievable that they should be forced to defend their actions when it is plain (to them) that they are right. Therefore, the proper course of action is to deny the opportunity for those “wrong” people to expose others to their ideas.

The idea that they are then denying freedom of speech escapes them because it is for a better cause and therefore (in their mind) justified.

Russ808 on March 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I’m not surprised my alma mater would make such a disgusting, based decision. This is the same school that has a Paul Robeson center and glorifies leftists.

Not one cent from me in support for what they’ve become.

njrob on March 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM

While good, I believe THIS is really how you intended to come across.

USNCVN on March 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM

logicman_1998 on March 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

My point went a mile over your head, I see.

I guess anyone who is educated and reads a great deal is to be ridiculed.

You guess wrong. I am educated and I likely read more than you. I simply don’t use words in writing that I would never use when speaking. It’s got nothing to do with education. “Whilst” is no better or more erudite than “while.” Ditto for “amongst” and “among.” It is pretentious — that is to say, child, it connotes false erudition. Juan William never uses “amongst” when speaking on TV, and I’d bet a million dollars he never uses it in general conversation. Why did he use it in writing an article? If he simply wants to mix it up a bit by using Britishisms, why not alter his spelling? How about “colour” for “color,” “connexion” for “connection,” or, if he like British synonyms in place of American English words, how about “lift” or “bonnet” for “elevator” and “hood”? By your logic, this would show erudition.

To use an Shakespearan phrase “Me Thinks he doth protest too much.”

What a clever and unique use of an overused quotation from some play written by some guy you never read (Cliff Notes notwithstanding).

You argue, “logic” man, like a leftist troll.

Nomennovum on March 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

MJBrutus on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Solaratov on March 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Absolutely true (of most any meme, in fact).
I do not know when Uncle Tom became the villain instead of the hero, but the book’s call for freedom was strong enough at the time of publication to make Tom’s sacrifice a rallying point for abolitionists in the 1860s.
I suspect part of the change-over had to do with the fact that Tom and other protagonists are Christians with very strong testimonies of Christ as Savior, and Tom cites that explicitly as his motivation for self-sacrifice; and the message of the book as a whole depicted support for slavery as inherently opposed to Christianity (contra the prior attempts to make slavery acceptable in some “biblical” way by denigrating the darker peoples as inferior or even un-human).
Leftists then had a dilemma: extolling Tom as a black folk-hero meant having to accept him as a Christian hero as well.
Guess we know which fork in the road they took.

AesopFan on March 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM

USNCVN on March 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I’ll have to check that when I get home.
Firewalls won’t let us go to youtube.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

These are the people who teach your children. Excuse me- whom you pay to teach your children. And yet you are curious why they fail to be rational in their choices or vocation.

The academics hold themselves up high as the scions of fairness, intellectual discovery and free-thinking. But they are nothing of the sort. They are simply a different kind of prejudiced bigot who use their positions in an autocratic way.

Ad hominems, pathos arguments, empty political rhetoric and dishonest propaganda only last as long as one can demur, dissuade or distract people from the truth. It requires an enslavement of thought and weakness of will to continue propagation.

Mr. Williams, to his credit, knows over the long run this ends badly for those who are somehow charmed and disarmed by the mendacity.

Marcus Traianus on March 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

B-G-O-T ?

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 5:25 PM

MJBrutus on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Solaratov on March 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

More of a John Henry fan myself.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Played rugby for the school all four years I was at Rutgers. Some of my fondest memories are of the African Student Council protesting our home matches because our uniforms were made by Maxmore (South Africa)…

affenhauer on March 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Nothing tends to undermines the most basic concepts of liberalism more than liberals themselves.

Selkirk on March 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM

USNCVN on March 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I’ll have to check that when I get home.
Firewalls won’t let us go to youtube.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

LOL.
Uh, yah, that’s what was goin’ for.

dentarthurdent on March 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Juan is over the top most times, but every once in a while he hits the nail with the hammer and I remember why I give him some leeway on his political views. He shows passion when dealing with issues, whether you agree with them or not and will debate the issue.

BelleStarre on March 7, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Condi Rice wasn’t rejected because she is black. She was rejected because she is a Republican. She is hardly a conservative (pro-choice, pro-amnesty, pro-affirmative action, etc., etc., etc.)

bw222 on March 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Selkirk on March 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Indeed.

Which is why I always use the term Leftist (although they embrace a wide range of pernicious tyrannical doctrines in addition to socialism).
Not everyone on the Right is a classical liberal, and some of the classical liberals are on the Left, but most of the classical liberals have declared a pox on both their houses.

If we could have a third party, I would like to resurrect the Conservative Liberals of the time of America’s founding.

AesopFan on March 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I’ve noticed that Americans have suddenly taken to the Britishism “amongst.”
What’s with this pretentious nonsense? I’m seeing “whilst” a lot now, too. WT-ever-loving F is going on?

Nomennovum on March 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM

By all means, let’s dumb ‘em down. BTW, I have used both since I was a child. It is not a “british” exclusive.

katy the mean old lady on March 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Can’t find an authoritative source, but I think ‘amongst’ and ‘whilst’ are American regionalisms. A lot of colloquial speech, in the South, particularly, is actually a hold-over of earlier imported British usage. The old chestnut that Appalachian dialect, for examples, preserves a good deal of Elizabethan English usage. Or Scots-Ulster usage. Anyway, I heerd a lot of it growing up, too.

de rigueur on March 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM

American Protestants of middle age and older almost all grew up on the King James (Authorized) version of the Bible. It was first published in 1611, so it reads a lot like Shakespeare. As a result, many Americans are quite comfortable with antiquated British words. I expect that to change rapidly over the next several decades because (1) most churches I’ve been in during the last 20 years now use newer translations and (2) more people are forgoing church altogether.

However, until that generation doth pass, thou shalt see the occasional amongst and whilst.

CJ on March 7, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Condi for president. Game over. Send the Lefties back to Hell.

RobertMN on March 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Snooki good, Condi bad.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04 rutgers_officials_make_no_apol.html

AppraisHer on March 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM

I beginning to think life under Putin might be better!
Sven on March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

At least we’d be ruled over by an Alpha male.

” Woe to you, O land, when your king is a child,
and your princes feast in the morning! “Ecc. 10:16

Cleombrotus on March 8, 2014 at 6:55 AM

ummm…. So Juan, when will you come to your senses and escape?

mikeintsn on March 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM

When Juan and Kirsten are ready to give up their positions (and fat paycheck) as liberal house stooges on Fox News.

BigAlSouth on March 8, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Perhaps Rutgers would invite Juan for a commencement speaker and he could speak of hateful double standard for black conservatives.

philoise65 on March 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Isn’t Rutgers a state run institution of higher indoctrination? Why hasn’t the gov of that fine state waded into the fray? He must be too busy absorbing the limelight of a standing ovation at CPAC.
Juan does seem at times to stay true to some principles, it’s just that when he’s spouting the left talking points as if they were gospel that I remember what he is, a thru and thru socialist.
“A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

Kissmygrits on March 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM

So does Juan the hypocrite want points from conservatives for this? He’s the moron who defends and props up liberal viewpoints and behaviors that result in this hateful liberal double standard so when he wants to renounce his citizenship in Libturdville and defect to the “right” side, I might think about listening to or believing anything he has to say.

stukinIL4now on March 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Well, that’s if you falsely believe that Condi Rice is a CONSERVATIVE, rather than an establishment REPUBLICAN which is what she actually is. But yes, obviously there is different standard for black democrats and black Republicans.

Comparatively speaking, Rice’s political views are to the right of what Rutgers University deems acceptable. Unfortunately the rejection of Rice speaks volumes about the quality of education offered at Rutgers. Education is rapidly being transformed into indoctrination.

edrebber on March 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Those leftists might as well be calling her a race traitor…like the other race supremacists.

Hard Right on March 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Williams is a dyed in the wool leftist, and a race-victim leftist at that. His expression of horror at the treatment of blacks by his fellow leftists is Exhibit #3,000,000 in the case for institutionalization of black liberals for group insanity.

Jaibones on March 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM

The return of “The Little Red Schoolhouse” or as it might be termed these days, “The Little Red Schoolhouse: 2.0″

Trochilus on March 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I would just like to point out that far from being a fait accompli, the faculty is not succeeding in their attempt to ban Dr. Rice, so far. The university President reaffirmed her selection yesterday. Listening to white snob professors explain their prejudice, via clips played by Joe Piscopo, has entertained me on the way to classes each morning.

On another note, whilst the grammar battle has been interesting, the use of an Shakespearean in one of the rebuttals is incorrect, and I have not seen that called out. It would be A; AN is only used when the next word begins with a vowel and some would claim with an H.

Madisonian on March 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

It’s not just black conservatives, it’s conservatives in general.

Just imagine if our students were given any support for our history, imagine! Oh, yeah, a song was writing about imagining – would be nice if people understood the VALUE and SERVICE of republican institutions (not the party, the concept).

MN J on March 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It is just liberal academia providing cover for Killery.
They do not want anyone comparing these two’s performances, it would be comparing a Rice spotlight of achievement to the Dim glow of Hillary’s failures. They need to indoctrinate the students that only the liberals are capable of success even if history proves them wrong.
The elitist must continue the stupidity of the past and stay in their little bubble of snobbery and ego.

John21 on March 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Politically, I disagree with almost everything Juan Williams stands for. That said, I admire his courage for standing up for black conservatives. If I drank, I probably wouldn’t mind sharing a beer or two with Juan. I hope he and Bob Beckel continue to represent the liberal point of view of FNC for a good long time to keep things fair and balanced.

olesparkie on March 11, 2014 at 6:47 AM