CPAC: Cruz meets the bloggers; Update: CPAC speech added

posted at 8:41 am on March 7, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Early yesterday afternoon, Ted Cruz followed up his well-received opening speech at CPAC 2014 to meet with several dozen bloggers for a question-and-answer session. Senator Cruz started off by hailing the power of the blogosphere, and then stepped through a number of issues brought up by bloggers in this impromptu session, including school choice, which Cruz seized as a critical issue. “School choice, in my view,” Cruz responded when asked, “is the civil rights issue of the 21st century.”

Easily the most interesting part of the Q&A, though, was his defense of challenging the establishment in a midterm election cycle:

cruz-bloggers from Ed Morrissey on Vimeo.

That part of the interaction starts at 14:30 in the audio above. “There is no doubt we have to win [in the midterms],” Cruz said, “but for Washington, the conventional wisdom is that the way you win is that you stand for nothing. … Every time we follow that strategy, we lose.” Cruz took aim at the consultant class that ended up on the losing end in 2012. “The Republican Party likes to listen to consultants who ran losing presidential campaigns,” Cruz said, “advise the party how to do exactly what they did before, and lose the next one.” No one wants a Republican majority and a Republican President more than Cruz, he assured the bloggers, but in order to get there, the party has to start standing for something rather than acting like wallflowers. “If we don’t turn this country around now,” Cruz warned, “we are approaching the point of no turning back.”

Be sure to listen to it all. I found out about this by accident, although I believe Senator Cruz’ team tried finding the Salem/Townhall contingent earlier. In a sequence that happens more often than you’d think at CPACs, I just happened to be in the right place for the gathering, because I was trying to track down a lost Samsung tablet and couldn’t get past the security checkpoint at first. (I did get it back later, thanks to a good friend’s persistence.) I didn’t have much notice and any time to get back to my equipment, so all I could do was take pictures and record the audio, which I’ve provided in its entirety — except for one final question, because I had to head out to co-host NRA News just a few minutes later.

Cruz clearly knows how to connect to the grassroots, and more than that, knows how to fire them up. Even if one occasionally disagrees on strategy and tactics, there is no doubt that the future of the GOP lies with Cruz and others similarly talented in this generation of Republican lawmakers.

Update: I thought we had posted Cruz’ speech to open CPAC, but a commenter noted its absence here at Hot Air. Let’s fix that now:

His speech came in the morning, when attendance is usually light, but you can hear the enthusiasm of those who attended. It’s a great speech, well worth watching more than once.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Y’all can have all of my adversaries, I’ll find more. And I even broke many of them for you already.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I dunno. The whole thing was so clever, I’m hating myself for not being creative enough to do something like that myself. My hat is off to these folks.

I have a high opinion of my own intelligence sometimes. In retrospect, all the signs were there. But hate is so much fun sometimes, I was blind to the obvious.

Actually, I’m kind of sorry to have figured it out. Now what do I do?

Lanceman on March 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

gophergirl on March 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Dammit! He was told he couldn’t play with matches.

Sheesh, that boy will never learn.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Holy smokes Perry is on fire. Great speech.

gophergirl on March 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I just finished watching it. All I can say is, wow.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

You read my mind

faraway on March 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Or maybe, you are one of my sock minions…

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Maybe. Lolz

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I just finished watching it. All I can say is, wow.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

The ending was awesome.

The post office remark I busted out laughing at my desk.

gophergirl on March 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I hope and pray Cruz becomes president. He will have a big mess since Obama has spent our grand children’s money. The scumbag.

birdwatcher on March 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Noob huh?
cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Yup, been a lurker here for years though. Last week it seemed like that’s where Every Cruz thread was. Ringing up over a hundred comment each, for Headline posts. Quickly disappearing down the hole without being moved to the blog. Someone told me page hits are important in the webby bidness. Any headline garnering a hundred comments in headlines should be moved, even if its about waxing your cat.

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Okay, I may be dense, but having to create your own adversary kind of defeats the purpose of practicing, doesn’t it?

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

?

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Please don’t give AP any ideas. :-)

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I understand his appeal to certain folks…the ‘fed up’ conservatives someone here noted, Tea Party, etc.
But that appeal seems fueled almost entirely by the hyperbolic yet substance-less lines he’s prone to.

“If we don’t turn this country around now, we are approaching the point of no turning back.”
‘Now’ – as in today? The mid terms? Or later, when he tries for the GOP nom? Or later even, his next senate race?

“School choice, in my view is the civil rights issue of the 21st century.”
Really?
I know he’s speaking for and to a few people here (and generally)…but not many.

“The Republican Party likes to listen to consultants who ran losing presidential campaigns,advise the party how to do exactly what they did before, and lose the next one.”
So we can assume his doesn’t and won’t work with political consultants then, right?

And if he’s sincere about Repubs having a chance at winning, maybe he should just work the Tea Party support for Rubio – and then get out of the way.

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Before this speech at CPAC I favored Cruz but was not sure if had the ideas to that would result in real institutional long range change. That all changed at this point…..

CRUZ CPAC speech 14:38 – 16:35

specifically
1. BAN politicks from becoming lobbyist after retirement
2. TERM LIMITS killing the politicks as a career path

Those two things if successful would do more to restore our republic than any other measure in the long term. Very simple corruption has become so rampant because politics have become a career path. Our founder never intended politicians to become the modern nobility class, nor did they intend politics as needed career paths for people. The intent was just as the early politicians of America were, politicians were to be elders that chose politics as a public service to give back to the country that gave them everything. Today politics are a career path to make money and establish a future path for their children. When something is career path your whole motivation, objectives, goals change to make money. In politics that equals corruption.

C-Low on March 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I prefer to call them insultants. That’s closer to being accurate.

Lanceman on March 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Then sit back and relax.

There is plenty of time for Cruz.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Apparently, many of the new trolls are socks of bored regulars.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

AP’s cats wax him.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

You betcha’ verby.

Tryin’ to influence the opposition is not your forte’. You ain’t that smart.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM

just finished watching it. All I can say is, wow.

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

The ending was awesome.

The post office remark I busted out laughing at my desk.

gophergirl on March 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I can’t find his speech yet. Anyone have a link?

melle1228 on March 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Here you go melle

Murphy9 on March 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

You betcha’ verby.

Tryin’ to influence the opposition is not your forte’. You ain’t that smart.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Well if I thought I could, I’d tell you all to run Ted Cruz.

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I can’t find his speech yet. Anyone have a link?

melle1228 on March 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

LOL. Rubio?

DisneyFan on March 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I can’t find his speech yet. Anyone have a link?

melle1228 on March 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Flora Duh on March 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Or even better, here.

cozmo on March 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

DisneyFan on March 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Say DisneyFan, still have that tab open over there. Anything yet? If not let me know, could close the tag, I need the space.

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

God Bless Ted Cruz!

bluegill …President Ted Cruz. I like the sound of that.

bluegill on March 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

…what?…no secretions?

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Verbaluce is concerned. I should really spend time in deep reflection. Perhaps Cruz, just maybe, not sure, means fight it everyday. Progressivism is like rust. In never sleeps. Incremental destruction. We cannot afford to not fight on all fronts anymore. Consultants? See Rove et al. I do not think Ted will be calling him for “advice on strategy and tactics”. Remember Rove’s meltdown on election night. School choice? I mean what parent in their right mind would want their child to avoid the idiot factories, amiright? That Ted Cruz with his lack of strategy and his dirty,dirty tactics.

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

LOL. Rubio?

DisneyFan on March 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Who do you feel would have a chance, if the GOP nom, at winning a presidential election?

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I gotta pair of Glenn geenwalds socks real cheep. I won’t spell his name correctly. He is an attention hoor.

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Well if I thought I could, I’d tell you all to run Ted Cruz.
verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I actually like the idea of Ted Cruz as Senate Majority leader. But I’m flexible.

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Well if I thought I could, I’d tell you all to run Ted Cruz.
verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM

You might, but few Senators do.
Maybe a Demint like move to a Heritage or something.

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Seems like he has mucho influence for a freshman senator to me. He just might have an actual strategy. Crazy. I know. Glad you are thinking of his welfare, though.

Cliff by the Ford on March 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Yes. Because we have a shortage of Pro Amnesty Republicans

Brock Robamney on March 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM

This is what an orator looks and sounds like. Someone who speaks to the audience and connects with the audience. Cruz didn’t spend his time frozen behind the lectern. He didn’t play head ping pong as he read his speech from the teleprompter. Cruz spoke from the heart and engaged with the audience; he actually looked at the audience. That speech was very well done.

What is even more impressive about Cruz is when he speaks extemporaneously, he quick and coherent. None of Obama’s uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh’s and halting speech as he measures exactly what he is going to say. Again, Cruz speaks from the heart and from his convictions.

Mallard T. Drake on March 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

HA forgot to cover the Ted Cruz speech..?

d1carter on March 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Great stuff. Not only do I agree with what he says, I genuinely like him as a person.

WhatSlushfund on March 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM

HA forgot to cover the Ted Cruz speech..?

d1carter on March 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Kinda. Unforced error?

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM

where do i sign up to volunteer for his presidential campaign? =)

Sachiko on March 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Sachiko on March 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Not sure, but when you find out, let me know. ; )

Bmore on March 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM

What is it with these people? Bad jobs numbers coming out today, Russia waging war against a nation we promised to defend, far too many Americans not even knowing how they are going to make ends meet…… And the Bidens and Obamas go off on taxpayer-paid vacations.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM

For an answer to your question, one only has to look to Monty Python. Brave Sir Robin ran away, brave, brave Sir Robin! For your viewing pleasure, our president in a nutshell:

idalily on March 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

verbaluce on March 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Yes. Because we have a shortage of Pro Amnesty Republicans

Brock Robamney on March 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM

It’s so heartwarming to see Lucy’s concern for Republicans.

slickwillie2001 on March 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I’m liking what I’m hearing from Ted Cruz. And the thing I like best…. is how much he’s irritating Establishment Republicans.

There’s a REASON so many people have become disillusioned with the GOP. They’ve failed in too many ways to uphold Republican principles. Here’s a guy who calls them out on it, and if you ask me, it’s about damned time someone did.

Murf76 on March 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Cruz is smart, funny, and he tells the truth. That’s what I want to see.

ElectricPhase on March 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Mallard T. Drake on March 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I don’t know… It was a close one between Rand Paul and Ted Cruz. I think Rand was a tad better because Rand hit on a lot of common points that should unite all Americans

Brock Robamney on March 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM

There is always a point at which we can turn back. It’s just that the longer we wait, the bloodier it will be.

Woody