Mitch McConnell at CPAC: If you give me a Republican majority in the Senate, I won’t let you down

posted at 1:21 pm on March 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

Spoiler alert: He’ll let us down.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell promised a ballroom full of activists Thursday that he would fight “tooth and nail” for a conservative agenda if he takes the helm of a Republican majority next year…

“If I’m given the opportunity to lead the United States Senate next year, I won’t let you down,” McConnell said. “I will lead with integrity, we will fight tooth and nail for conservative reforms that put this country back on track, we will debate our ideas openly, we will vote without fear, and we will govern with the understanding that the future of this country depends on our success.”

Oddly enough, his reception in the hall today was “lukewarm.” Serious question: What would McConnell have to do, or not do, as Senate majority leader for tea partiers to say, “He was right, he didn’t let us down”? He’ll happily hold a vote to repeal ObamaCare, which will either be filibustered by Democrats or die on Obama’s desk. He might be willing to stand his ground on spending cuts, veto or no veto. Is that good enough? Ain’t no way he’s going to shut down the government or let Treasury hit the debt ceiling, and the closer we get to 2016 the surer that is. So if that’s the litmus test, consider him having failed already.

Actually, I think there are two litmus tests, neither of which has to do with fiscal standoffs. One is on Supreme Court (or cabinet) appointments, the other is on immigration. If Obama gets a vacancy on the Court and nominates someone far enough left to alarm grassroots righties but not so far left that GOP centrists like Mark Kirk won’t vote for him/her, McConnell will face a ton of pressure to keep the nomination off the floor. I think there’s a fair chance that he’ll pass that test. In fact, Obama himself might anticipate it by nominating someone radical-ish in the expectation that he or she will be torpedoed and then nominating the person he really wanted all along as a “moderate” compromise back-up pick. On immigration, though, it’s unfathomable to me that McConnell would block an amnesty bill passed by the more conservative House, knowing that there are more than enough amnesty fans in the Senate to break a filibuster on it, purely to pander to tea partiers. The party leadership wants immigration done by the time of the next presidential election. Mitch the Knife won’t stop them. So yeah, he’ll let you down.

Here he is this morning waving a gun around onstage. I know he feels like he’s being attacked on all sides by conservatives lately, but good lord, man. (Kidding. It was a present for Tom Coburn.)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Didn’t see :)

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

“Abolish the IRS“

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Now that the Democratics have thoroughly corrupted the IRS and are using it to attack and silence their political opponents, they will fight tooth and nail any change that reduces the power of the IRS.

Ditto NSA domestic surveillance powers.

slickwillie2001 on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM

She has your writing style. When I read her first comment to arnold, I suspected it was her, the then confirmed my suspicion by mentioning pie.

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Right Scoop ‏@trscoop 9m

WATCH Mike Lee’s fantastic speech at #CPAC2014 http://wp.me/pqwpd-o8L

WATCH Mike Lee’s fantastic speech at #CPAC2014
Posted on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM in Politics
By The Right Scoop
*****************

Sen. Mike Lee gave a really great speech today at CPAC 2014 and his central message was to beat back the conventional wisdom in Washington that argues that we can just let Obama’s policies fall to utter shambles and that will put us in a winning position. Lee says that we can’t just do nothing and win elections in 2014 and 2016. We will lose, he says, and that argument is completely wrong and doesn’t deserve to be in the party of Lincoln.

Watch:

VIDEO:(12:54)
===============

canopfor on March 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Ditto NSA domestic surveillance powers.

slickwillie2001 on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

All the Rs who enable them are even more culpable then.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM

then confirmed my suspicion by mentioning pie.

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

The Miss + “my husband” was a good clue but the “my favorite little piggie” was a dead clue :) Only Bmore calls arnold that.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM

He should say that he will change the rules so that seniority alone does not choose the Senate Majority leader, and choose the leader based on a debate competition. We don’t get to see these people talk on their feet anymore, there is no debate in Harry Reids Senate. When I saw Ted Cruz on his feet for the “filibuster” he was fabulous. McConnell does not rise to this challenge.

So, I would like to win in Kentucky, and I would like him to say we get to choose a new Senate leader if he does. Win win.

Fleuries on March 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Well, we have been married 30 years. Together 3 before that. She knows quite a bit about the folks here I enjoy. I mention them often. She is very familiar with you as well. Yes, she knows how distressed I was when you left. And how happy I have been since your return. She knows you and I came in at the same time and that every time, (the first 3 o 4 at least) I would go to comment, you had already taken the words out of my mouth so to speak. She knows the noms of every single person here I truly care for. ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Sorry turtle boy. You are toast. Thank goodness

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM

BOR isn’t a traditional journalist raised in the television medium. He’s third generation at best. The group that climbed up the career ladder by sensalistic stories and fluff. He hosted Inside Edition not the Huntley-Brinkley report!

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Actually he was prior to becoming the host of ‘Inside Edition’ – about 14 years experience before IE.

I had the opportunity to talk with him a few years back when he had his radio program and was doing a remote broadcast that had a small audience…and asked him about the internet given my background in IT / eComm and having worked for a publisher. He described himself as a traditional journalist and focused more on those years than his time at IE in terms of his journalistic ‘cred’.

Athos on March 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Yep. She is very familiar with my referencing arnold as my favorite little piggy. He is you know. Doesn’t sit well with GoHawgs. She also knows of you my friend. ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I should add. Cindy Munford has met her. bazil9 has seen her as well.

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM

shubalstearns on March 6, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Just goes to show how bad the vetting process by Republicans actually is. The Democrats have never nominated a judge that turns on them when they get through to the courts.

Which is why Republicans braying about protecting the balance of power in the supreme court means precious little in my eyes. And their insistence on using that to guilt/ coerce the base into voting for them time after time is obnoxious.

Because they suck on many of the other important issues facing this country.

NWConservative on March 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Matt Walsh is freaking brilliant. And he engages his critics in ways that few in the dextrosphere do. I totally have a man-crush on that guy.

gryphon202 on March 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I was shocked when he mentioned his age. He’s now doing this full time, it appears.

kim roy on March 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Oh, and the lovely and talented 4Grace has seen her as well I believe. ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

One day we’ll ask her to bake for all of us :)

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM

gryphon202 on March 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM

kim roy on March 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Oh yeah. He had a terrestrial radio show until recently when his blog exploded onto the viral meme scene. Several of my facebook friends turned me on to him months ago, and he has yet to disappoint me.

gryphon202 on March 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM

One day we’ll ask her to bake for all of us :)

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM

She will do it. She loves to bake. Its like a therapy for her. I am very lucky indeed that way. Better than I deserve she is. ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Just clicked through to your photos… Bravo! The Putin mocks Kerry is my favorite.

kringeesmom on March 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Too bad you don’t exchange via email with me. You could see her/us as well. Lolz! ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM

kringeesmom on March 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Glad you enjoy! Distribute them all as often as as far and wide as you like. ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Bmore and Mrs. Bmore (not her real name) are great. I hope when this mythical gettogether of Floridian Hot Airians happens they will be part of it.

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, sure Mitch. Just like you fought “tooth and nail” to support Senators Cruz, Lee, and Rubio in their passionate fight against Obamacare. Just like you fought “tooth and nail” to make sure funding was procured for your precious bridge project in your state. And just like you’ve stated you’ll roll-over like a whipped pup on the filibuster rules if the GOP gets back in control of the Senate. You’re a piece of work, McConnell. You’re one of the worst RINO’s in the Senate (along with our [Tennessee's] two Senators: Alexander and Corker).

Bob Davis on March 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

P.S. I assure you Flora, she is a great deal smarter and more well read than yours truly. I am hopeful the commenting thing will someday take hold. Its been like pulling teeth just to get her interested enough for last evenings attempt. I am not about to mention to her, her spelling error. Lolz!

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM

McConnell, Christie and all the other CINOs LIE! They get elected and act like democrats. How many times do they think they can fool us?

fight like a girl on March 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I am glad you have seen this exchange. I know some folks may think I’m trying to pull a fast one. Not true it is the better half. I even spoke with Ed prior to her signing in so as not to have a repeat of your better halfs outcome. ; )

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM

My apologies to you Allah and all for my OT comments.

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Sorry Mitch, I no longer believe the lies.

RJL on March 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Voting for Republicans for the Senate but also for McConnell’s Democratic rival could result in the best of all possible worlds.

PersonFromPorlock on March 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Ugh, that pic, dude looks like he’s slightly scared of it.

“See, I like guns, I have a gun here.”

Bishop on March 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Two Words: Matt Bevin.

nobar on March 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Go join the Democrats. You work for them anyway, might as well wear the back end of the donkey suit as long as your mouth matches the front.
Adjoran on March 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM

How do you not see this applying to some of the elected the rest of your post seems to be defending (including McConnell)?

anuts on March 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Great, the flood warnings for the midwest have begun. It’s going to be a tenuous spring.

Murphy9 on March 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM

If anyone gives that any thought, they have to much time and cynicism to worry about.

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Oddly enough, his (Mitch McConnell’s) reception in the hall today was “lukewarm.”

“Lukewarm” overstates the reception by a good bit.

RJL on March 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Bob Davis

To be fair, he did support Rubio when he was running around pushing amnesty.In fact, it was his idea.

Yeah, no thanks, McConnell.

xblade on March 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Whoever invited him to speak at CPAC needs to have their head examined! We keep hearing the same kind of talk out of Boehner and the results are always the same.

savage24 on March 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM

“If you give me a Republican majority in the Senate, I won’t let you down.”

Won’t let who down?

Meremortal on March 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM

BTW, off topic a bit:

POLL: McCain Least Popular Senator in Country…

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha. That illegal alien love is working out well for you, isn’t it John?

xblade on March 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

“I won’t let you down” [again].

And why did he feel the need to say this?

Meremortal on March 6, 2014 at 3:43 PM

LIAR!

Robert Jensen on March 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

The Republicans need new leadership in the House and the Senate. McConnell is past being able to do something, he’s done nothing. I would much rather he be a serious thorn in Reid’s side than doing what he has. He screwed Cruz, Rubio, Paul during the budget fight.

bflat879 on March 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Bmore on March 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I’ve been of a mind to do a musical/photo/graphic montage, and thought about your work – might have to discuss that sometime soon. :)

Midas on March 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM

What was up with his entrance? It was like he was imitating a big time wrestling entrance from the late 80′s.

OliverB on March 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Oops!!!

Frank Thorp V ‏@frankthorpNBC 4m

House Vote Tabling Dem Issa Res Breakdown: GOP: Yea-211 / Nay-0 / Pres-6 DEM: Yea-0 / Nay-186 / Pres-4 TOTAL:Yea-211 / Nay-186 /Pres-10
============

Frank Thorp V ‏@frankthorpNBC 14m

The House just voted 211-186 with 10 present, to table the Dem resolution condemning @DarrellIssa’s actions at y’day’s IRS hearing

canopfor on March 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Where’s the tally on the resolution to slap Lerner in irons for contempt?

Midas on March 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

What does McConnell have to say to convince Tea Partiers…

Nothing. Same as Obama. There’s not a word either of them could say, that I would believe.

They could stop wasting everyone’s time and go find gainful employment anywhere outside of government any old time now, that would at least convince me either of them possess a conscience.

a5minmajor on March 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Mitch you could have utilized procedural maneuvers to stop Obamacare by the long read-out process and have that for each and every amendment and change, plus use quorum calls and other procedures to slow the Senate to a stop. Without a filibuster.

You didn’t do that.

You made a deal to end the procedural slow walk.

You didn’t fight when it counted.

You let America down.

ajacksonian on March 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

BTW, off topic a bit:

POLL: McCain Least Popular Senator in Country…

xblade on March 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I would vote for Dingy Harry but maybe he was next to the top.

crankyoldlady on March 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

You let America down.

ajacksonian on March 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Yes, but he made his corporate friends happy.

crankyoldlady on March 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Gotta love it when RINOs refer to themselves as GOP centrists,while conservatives are fringe extremists.A RINO is a part-time liberal!

redware on March 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I wouldn’t trust this 220 pound turtle on anything. Freakin’ RINO/DINO Establishment elitist opportunist.

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Did CPAC get coopted by the GOPe? Wasn’t it always about bringing new blood in? Why are all these Establishment oldsters like Mitch and Chris given center stage?

Another Libertarian on March 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Where do you have to go to watch CPAC speeches? I guess I don’t have that channel.

I don’t trust anything McConnell or any of them say. I do trust Cruz to mean what he says. Where are any others?

crankyoldlady on March 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Where do you have to go to watch CPAC speeches?

crankyoldlady on March 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Where do you have to go to watch CPAC speeches?

crankyoldlady on March 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I don’t believe you!

Mollymaloo on March 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

My apologies for the double post.

Flora Duh on March 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Rstlessly fighting for us is being lazy huh?

So now we know he uses the same meme as Obama

You like an active Republican Senate you can have an active Republican Senate!

You want a conservative Mitch you can have a conservative Mitch!

You want to save the nation you can save the nation!

Ok Obama-clone I think it is your retirement time!

OregonPolitician on March 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Charlie Brown believes him.

Wigglesworth on March 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM

How about we get a Republican Senate without him.

Sterling Holobyte on March 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Very little about CPAC is conservative these days. And turtle ain’t one of them

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Please, fellow Americans in KY, isn’t it about time to get fresh blood in McConnell’s place?

I know it’s asking a lot of you, but for all our sakes…please!

lineholder on March 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell promised lied to a ballroom full of activists peasants Thursday that he would fight “tooth and nail” for a conservative liberal agenda if he takes the helm of a Republican majority next year…

There, FIFY

they lie on March 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

they lie on March 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Another Libertarian on March 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

No. CPAC has always been a GOP conservative bona fide validation assembly. If anything, Cruz, Jindal, and the tea party came to spoil their party

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Turtle, you’re no Charlton Heston, and you will let us down, guaranteed.

RoyalFlush on March 6, 2014 at 9:17 PM

He won’t let me down. I expect nothing from him but more democrat agenda

SouthernGent on March 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Mitch, this only would have made sense to me if you were holding an AR-15.

Nobody uses muskets anymore and this means nothing.

TX-96 on March 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Go home, Mitch.

joecollins on March 7, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Sorry Mitch. Time for you to go home and stay. You’ve already proven you will betray the country.

Quartermaster on March 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Mitch, the disgusting +itch..

If it wasn’t time for an election he would be giving the conservatives the finger…

Another paid for politician willing to sell his soul (if he has one) to hold on to the power…

An Utterly disgusting display of pandering by a real POS.

RockyJ. on March 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Mitch is a poor substitute for Charlton Heston.

kjatexas on March 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Why has he not been supporting us? Send this damnocrap in des hose home and elect a conservative to reace him. He has done his part in helping destroy the USA. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Do not believe his les again.

harvey1 on March 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

He did have the opportunity to lead but he passed on it.

virgo on March 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM