Brutal: Just one in 10 uninsured who qualify for ObamaCare exchange plans has signed up

posted at 6:01 pm on March 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

That’s according to a survey conducted by McKinsey, not according to HHS’s official figures. And why, you ask, are we forced to rely on McKinsey for this information rather than on the feds?

Because, silly. Your government, which reinvented the insurance industry in the name of expanding coverage to many millions of uninsured Americans, is oddly incurious about whether uninsured Americans are signing up or not.

The reality is “not many.” At least, not yet.

A pair of surveys released on Thursday suggest that just one in 10 uninsured people who qualify for private health plans through the new marketplace have signed up for one — and that about half of uninsured adults has looked for information on the online exchanges or plans to look…

The survey also attempted to gauge what has been another fuzzy matter: how many of the people actually have the insurance for which they signed up. Under federal rules, coverage begins only if someone has started to pay their monthly insurance premiums.

And, the survey show, that just over half of uninsured people said they had started to pay, compared with nearly nine in 10 of those signing up on the exchanges who said they were simply switching from one health plan to another…

The McKinsey survey also found, as it had during the previous few months, that, of people who are uninsured and do not intend to get a health plan through the marketplaces, the biggest factor is that they believe they could not afford one.

Only about a quarter of current enrollees on the exchanges were uninsured last year, meaning that, thus far, ObamaCare is mainly just a big churn operation to force insured people into more expensive “comprehensive” plans, not an operation to expand coverage. Here’s the McKinsey survey, via Phil Kerpen. Note the bit in the excerpt about nonpayment, too. If the survey data is correct, roughly half of the uninsured who did sign up will be tossed from the rolls soon enough for being deadbeats on their premiums. By the numbers:

nonpay

So the number of uninsured who’ve signed up and who’ll retain their coverage going forward is more like five percent. As for the other five percent, who signed up but then didn’t pay, you tell me: How likely is it that those people will come back into the fold after going through the headache of obtaining a new policy and then seeing it quickly canceled for nonpayment?

As for the uninsured who looked at plans on the exchange but decided not to sign up, feast your eyes below. A friend of mine told me last month that he thought everyone had it wrong in analyzing ObamaCare’s sign-up numbers: HHS and the media seem to believe that they’re missing their enrollment targets because the first two months were a technological disaster for Healthcare.gov and, having fallen behind early, there’s simply no way to catch up now. But that never really made sense. Even if someone had tried to sign up in October and then quit after being frustrated by website glitches, it’s only logical that they would have tried again sometime in December or January as news spread that the site was working better. If you wanted coverage badly enough in October to screw around with Healthcare.gov, odds are good that you still wanted it badly enough last month to give it another go. There’s no reason, then, why HHS shouldn’t have quickly caught up to its enrollment targets over time. My friend’s theory was that it was the cost — rate shock — that was discouraging people from signing up, not website problems. You tell me, was he right?

afford

Coincidentally, Gallup released a survey of its own today finding that the number of people who say that ObamaCare has hurt their family climbed four points this month to 23 percent after holding steadily below 20 for more than two years. Meanwhile, the number who say the law has helped their family dropped three points, from 13 to 10. What’ll those numbers be later this year, when the mandate — if the mandate, I should say — goes into effect?

Here’s the silver lining for Team Hopenchange: Most uninsured Americans who haven’t signed up because they think they can’t afford a plan are operating out of ignorance. That problem can, in theory, be corrected with a robust educational campaign.

sl

Some of those people in the dark blue areas of the pie on the right will discover that they are indeed eligible for subsidies and that the subsidies are generous enough to make their coverage affordable. Others will discover that they’re just a bit too middle-class to qualify for free money, or at least to qualify for enough of it to make a “silver” plan on the exchanges worth their while. It’d be nice to have a sense of what to expect in each category, but like I say, your government would rather not look too deeply into this subject right now. I wonder why.

Via the Right Scoop, here’s your “am I awake?” video of the day. Actual quote: “At this point, actually, I think it is working the way it should.”

Comments

“That’s not a data point we are really collecting in any sort of systematic way”

I thought there was a fierce moral urgency to get the uninsured covered. But now they don’t care about them? Democrats’ war on the poor and young!

rbj on March 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Does he mean it is working now, or it will work when the fixes kick in?

Does he even know the answer to that question?

Alopen on March 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

DeathCare can work if we only grant amnesty and U.S. citizenship to all the world’s citizens … trust us!

ShainS on March 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Medicaid. Why pay when Santa puts out for free?

RovesChins on March 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

This should be the headline above the fold of every newspaper, and the lead story on all TV media.

Finally, everybody will see Obamacare for what it is as the media reports this reality./

Jackalope on March 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I do not understand why something “working the way it should” needs so many fixes. Alopen on March 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I do not understand why you are such a racist.

Jackalope on March 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Are we sure they aren’t talking about “climate change”

jmtham156 on March 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

It’s funny though. If you look at the comments sections of lib-heavy sites like Politico, you read loads of comments like “I signed up with ACA and my health care costs have never been lower!”

ddrintn on March 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I went to my doctor today in California and talked to the woman who handles the insurance. I explained to her that signing up for Obamacare might save me a few hundred dollars every month.

She said that she has so much difficulty reaching Covered California and the insurance people, and that even when she does get talk to them she so often gets wrong or zero information, that I might just want to keep my more expensive plan just to avoid the hassle.

Meanwhile, I can’t turn on the TV or take a bus without seeing an ad for Covered CA.

bobs1196 on March 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I’ve talked to several people who aren’t signing up for system security reasons.

One woman said her husband is going to need heart surgery (stent) within the next year or so, but they are concerned about having their personal/financial information submitted to a system where security was so weak..that it was absolute imperative to protect their assets.

lineholder on March 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I’m not signing up for sh!t.

Ever.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Working the way it should?

Of course it is! The point is to destroy the private insurance market and increase the number of people dependent on the government directly or through subsidies for the health care as the democrats angle to establish single payer government controlled health care.

It has NOTHING to do with insuring the insured.
It is all about centralizing control.

He’s right–it’s working exactly as intended.

Doc Holliday on March 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Working so well he just extended those beleaguered, expensive older plans for 2 more years—right Barry?

hillsoftx on March 6, 2014 at 6:22 PM

It just hasn’t been explained well…

d1carter on March 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM

bobs1196 on March 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

She’s right. CA is also having major problems getting doctors to agree to work in the network. Access to providers is limited in some areas for this reason.

lineholder on March 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM

So, I’m no lawyer, and those in the know will probably shoot down this question immediately, but one of things I keep hearing that prevents anyone from suing… someone -I’m not sure who, exactly- and putting an end to this nightmare is “standing”. That someone would have to show harm in order to achieve some sort of remedy.

If you were someone who’s lost your insurance due to it being “substandard” and have since signed up for a more comprehensive, Obamacare-approved and more expensive plan, are you not now harmed given that this law was applied unequally? Wouldn’t you then have standing?

BKeyser on March 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

bobs1196 on March 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

REALLY? Apples vs apples? No subsidies, same coverage benefits, same doctor/hospital network, same deductibles? REALLY?

hillsoftx on March 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Said it before and saying it again.There will be more uninsured than before this abortion started.

docflash on March 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Show of hands.

How many of you not chronically ill have even for one microsecond, considered even visiting healthcare.gov?

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM

At times like these, I’d like to talk to CJ John Roberts…

ladyingray on March 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

…and how many are just new medicare people?
…so glad the MSM is looking into this!
…they need to spend a trillion or five…to advertise the benefits…I think!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

…Republican roadblocks!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Questions about coverage on your taxes?

Leave them blank.

Eff’em. Time to fight back.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

“At this point, actually, I think it is working the way it should.”

Wow.

Just. Wow.

Hill60 on March 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Worst president in US History.

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Heh, the silver lining of ObamaCare is that it will destroy the democratic party.

Word of warning to the establishment Republicans that are pushing hard to “reform” immigration……

redguy on March 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

…in that last video…he has his legs covering his vajina again!
…he starting to make the other guys do it too!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

My wife and I are part of the dirty rats who refuse to sign up. We’ll never buy a policy from Obama. Ours would not be subsidized, would be high priced, with a high deductible and a lousy doctor network. We’d only sign up if we had a bad health condition. Even as it is, I’ve been insulin dependent for 30 years and am 63 years old. So you know it’s a lousy deal when people in my situation refuse.

The penalty? You think I should be worried about the penalty. Haha! People forget that there is no penalty when the cost of the policy is more than 8% of your income. In my case, it would be about 15%. Obama forgot that when you stick all those features in that someone like my wife and me don’t want (maternity) it raises the cost!

BillCarson on March 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Here’s the problem with the ‘silver lining’, for many of those uninsured, anything short of FREE is too expensive.

slickwillie2001 on March 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Show of hands.

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I thought about but I didn’t Sparky’s information.

RickB on March 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

hillsoftx on March 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

To be honest, I don’t know. Mine Eyes Glaze Over.

The other thing that gets me is that, even if I’m assured I can keep my primary physician, what happens when she wants to refer me to a doctor she knows and trusts? What is the likelihood that specialist has signed on to Covered CA?

bobs1196 on March 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but I recently found out that if you pick a plan that is cheaper than your subsidy, when you file your taxes that year you receive the difference in a tax credit. So if you get a subsidy of $1100 a month and you pick a cheapo plan for $900 a month, you get a credit/refund of $2400 at the end of the year. What a great place this America. No wonder the freaking monstrosity costs so much.

BeachBum on March 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

hillsoftx on March 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

If I recall, California is one of the very few states where rates declined – because the plans weren’t subject to the heavy hand of the state insurance commissioner.

A classic case of the state’s excessive regulation driving up costs.

Hill60 on March 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

redguy on March 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

No it won’t.

At this point there are too many leeches who will vote for free other people’s money stuff every time.

I would call them willful slaves. Except slaves have to work.

cozmo on March 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

DUH!

ObamaCare = Lies, Lies and more Lies

Count me as shocked … NOT!

Pelosi Schmelosi on March 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I’m not signing up for sh!t.

Ever.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I’m with you. Not ever.

I won’t even log on to the .gov site–criminals having access to our info–no thanks.

Beyond that, hubby and I haven’t had insurance for over twenty years. Neither of us are real keen on doctors or medications, thus we haven’t seen doctors all that often, or used pharmaceuticals, for that matter. When we’ve had the ill fortune to need to visit one (or the pharmacy,) we’ve paid out-of-pocket. Always. Period. In over those twenty years, we’ve never left any bill unpaid, let alone a doctor or medication bill.

Lastly, thanks to O’Delusional’s “recovery” we’ve had our household income reduced to the point that we’d qualify for Medicaid–and there is no way on God’s green earth that we will ever be a part of that. Period.

So, we’re opting out of this fiasco. We’ll continue to be responsible, self-accountable and self-supporting citizens who refuse to comply with any part of this unconstitutional “law.”

jersey taxpayer on March 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Show of hands.
Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I gave it a shot in October and then again just now. We would have to have north of $14k in medical expenses to make it worthwhile.

No thanks, we’ll just pay cash.

Maddie on March 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

No matter how bad this is, the Republican establishment will not repeal it.
Ted Cruz will repeal it.
I am for Ted Cruz.

GaltBlvnAtty on March 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

…why do they keep extending everything?

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

BillCarson on March 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

They didn’t “forget.”

They didn’t care.

jersey taxpayer on March 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

No thanks, we’ll just pay cash.

Maddie on March 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Too bad you couldn’t have signed up under a sock like at HA.

…why do they keep extending everything?

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Two reasons. The second is to crash the system, nothing more.

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Yeah, but just wait until those websites get going! Can’t expect them to all work perfectly on Day One, right?

Ok, maybe not day one. Which day is it again?

Ed –
You mean the websites aren’t working perfectly on day one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty twenty-one twenty-two twenty-three twenty-four twenty-five twenty-six twenty-seven twenty-eight twenty-nine thirty thirty-one thirty-two thirty-three thirty-four thirty-five thirty-six thirty-seven thirty-eight thirty-nine forty forty-one forty-two forty-three forty-four forty-five forty-six forty-seven forty-eight forty-nine fifty fifty-one fifty-two fifty-three fifty-four fifty-five fifty-six fifty-seven fifty-eight fifty-nine sixty sixty-one sixty-two sixty-three sixty-four sixty-five sixty-six sixty-seven sixty-eight sixty-nine seventy seventy-one seventy-two seventy-three seventy-four seventy-five seventy-six seventy-seven seventy-eight seventy-nine eighty eighty-one eighty-two eighty-three eighty-four eighty-five eighty-six eighty-seven eighty-eight eighty-nine ninety ninety-one ninety-two ninety-three ninety-four ninety-five ninety-six ninety-seven ninety-eight ninety-nine one hundred one hundred one one hundred two one hundred three one hundred four one hundred five one hundred six one hundred seven one hundred eight one hundred nine one hundred ten one hundred eleven one hundred twelve one hundred thirteen one hundred fourteen one hundred fifteen one hundred sixteen one hundred seventeen one hundred eighteen one hundred nineteen one hundred twenty one hundred twenty-one one hundred twenty-two one hundred twenty-three one hundred twenty-four one hundred twenty-five one hundred twenty-six one hundred twenty-seven one hundred twenty-eight one hundred twenty-nine one hundred thirty one hundred thirty-one one hundred thirty-two one hundred thirty-three one hundred thirty-four one hundred thirty-five one hundred thirty-six one hundred thirty-seven one hundred thirty-eight one hundred thirty-nine one hundred forty one hundred forty-one one hundred forty-two one hundred forty-three one hundred forty-four one hundred forty-five one hundred forty-six one hundred forty-seven one hundred forty-eight one hundred forty-nine one hundred fifty one hundred fifty-one one hundred fifty-two one hundred fifty-three one hundred fifty-four one hundred fifty-five one hundred fifty-six one hundred fifty-seven
verbaluce on October 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

(H/T NotCoach)

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Show of hands.
Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I do it just to laugh at the wait times. I’m geeky like that sometimes. Oh, and if you call the 1-800 # ? You get the DMV treatment.

Love. It. LaWanda put me on hold to see if I qualified to get a mammogram. She never came back. #WarOnWomen indeed

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

one hundred fifty-seven
verbaluce on October 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

(H/T NotCoach)

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Pretty soon, that thing’s gonna take up a whole page.

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 6:58 PM

From now until November, we need to call this DEMOCRATcare, not Ocare.

Democrats promised “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan. Period.”

Democrats promised “if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period.”

Democrats promised that this “Affordable” care would save the average family $2,500 annually.

While O’Delusional also promised that, he’s not up for re-election in 2014. (I’m not so sure about 2016.)

jersey taxpayer on March 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

No thanks, we’ll just pay cash.

Maddie on March 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

It’s not about health care. It’s about leveling the playing field and putting the middle class onto Medicaid (which NOBODY TAKES), to make you suffer.

Social Justice baby! Obama2012

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Success!

jaywemm on March 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

If you like your new federal tax, you can keep it. Or, answer to the IRS. Welcome to Moscow—please leave your guns at our new Crimean detention facility.

Rovin on March 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I know 5 people around the country who need insurance now and looked at Obamacare.

The first has put off a needed major surgery because she can’t afford it and the providers want upfront payment. It’s cheaper for her to pay for the surgery out of pocket than pay for Obamacare premiums and deductible.

The second believed she couldn’t afford insurance before and Obamacare made it more expensive.

The third just lost employer-provided insurance and two family members have pre-existing conditions, they really want insurance to take care of ongoing needs. The family is looking at Obamacare very thoroughly. Her first comment was “I thought this was supposed to make insurance affordable!” The rates are very high and Obamacare is more expensive than COBRA.

The fourth spent hours and hours entering information for all family members and now is distraught because she doesn’t believe the website security is good and is afraid of identity fraud. No word on whether she had any success with enrollment.

The fifth was totally unsuccessful trying to use the website. Her family waited weeks for a visit for the only regional agent and was told that the wait for sample plans and premiums was indefinite (this was in December). She had been an Obamacare supporter and does not discuss Obamacare or her family’s insurance now. I take that to mean that Obamacare doesn’t perform as expected.

Yes, it’s anecdotal. But I would expect one– at least one– of my national network of family and friends to report that they had a good or even decent experience with Obamacare. But, with less than 4 million out of 300+ million citizens bothering to participate in it, I guess my odds aren’t very good.

obladioblada on March 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM

bobs1196 on March 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

hillsoftx on March 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

A classic case of the state’s excessive regulation driving up costs.

Hill60 on March 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Mostly CA and NY, and then only if you are in the 40+ bracket. That’s because those states had must-issue insurance regulation, in effect meaning no-preexisting, which made their individual market rates sky-high. Obamacare helps lower rates slightly in those states because it forces (in theory) more young people into those pools.

In effect it means small savings in those two states, but only because rates were sky-high to begin with.

This is wrt premiums. Deductibles, networks, drug lists, etc, are all worse under Obamacare.

slickwillie2001 on March 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM

In 2009, 92% of Americans had health insurance or were satisfied enough with their healthcare not to have it, and 88% of Americans were satisfied with their health.

For comparison’s sake, of the 34 countries covered in OECD data, in only two – New Zealand (89.7%) and Canada (88.1%) did citizens report a higher level of satisfaction with their health. Not the United Kingdom (76%). Not France (72.4%). Not Sweden (79.1%). Now, of course health is not healthcare, but the goal of healthcare is to improve or sustain a person’s health.

Exactly why we needed a 2,000 page bill that needed to be passed before it could be read.

The Greek Tragedy of Obamacare

imperfectamerica on March 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

From Drudge:

Surcharge Appearing on Restaurant Bills Across Country…

*whiny infobabe voice* “Is that eeeven leega???”

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

The traitor of the land, and oaf in chief, told illegals today “it’s ok to sign up for obama’care’. I won’t deport you”.

“And, if any of you get deported, it’s the Republicans’ fault”.

– obama

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM

The uninsured were all for Obamacare when they thought it was free for them. Even with a subsidy they still have to pay something. The problem is that they went into this thinking it would cost them zero. Now that they see there is a bill to pay, they will remain uninsured.

Obama knew they needed to think it was free to get the support he needed within his party to get this done since no Republican would support. He’s the snake oil salesman who says “I never SAID it was free. I’m sorry if you didn’t understand.” But the lie was necessary to destroy the health insurance industry and usher-in single payer.

Even my lib “friends” are starting to realize this. The problem is they say “Well, that’s good! Health care should be free.” SMH

We need the Senate in 2014, but only if they will kill this monstrosity before it kills health insurance permanently.

goflyers on March 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

imperfectamerica on March 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

THAT should be Webster’s definition of “nutshell.”

Bravo!

jersey taxpayer on March 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Gotta love liberal planning. Never have so many been inconvenienced for the benefit of so few.

GarandFan on March 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I am uninsured in CO. I spoke with a Blue Cross agent.
For a 33 yr old single smoking male: $269 a month. 20% copay AFTER fulfilling a $6500 deductible. My subsidy would be roughly $20 a month.
Why the heck would I buy a plan where I would have to pay roughly $9k to see any benefit from said plan?
And maternity but no dental? I agree with the above “churn” statement.
So… Darn right I have sticker shock, especially when I see what I get for all that money.
Would you spend a third of your income on that bill of goods?
At least I can help the government out by forgoing my meager refund to pay them a penalty for not buying their sweet product.
So frustrating.
Go leviathan!

timsullivan4 on March 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Thanks Jersey Taxpayer…

imperfectamerica on March 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

GarandFan on March 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Exactly what the liberals are looking for, so they can go for the single payer system.

onesheep on March 6, 2014 at 9:50 PM

To add to my earlier post. I vote republican, have since bush 2000. And I certainly did not want obamacare.

timsullivan4 on March 6, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I probably qualify due to being underemployed, but I won’t touch the exchanges.

Othniel on March 7, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Obama IS Obamacare…Obamacare IS Obama…both are complete F*-ups that are destroying this country.

easyt65 on March 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM

OBMA is a SCOAMF

YesWeKen on March 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Insuring the uninsured was one of the justifications for PPACA. From the advocate point of view it would be wonderful if the uninsured did actually sign up — it would confirm the justification put forward — but even if they did not, it did serve its purpose to help undercut objections to passage of PPACA and reassure the fence-sitters that they were doing it all with the best of intentions.

Russ808 on March 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM