Carney: Why no, Obama does not regret being dismissive of Mitt Romney on Russia

posted at 6:51 pm on March 6, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

On Thursday afternoon, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was asked whether, given current events, President Obama might now regret having so superciliously dismissed Mitt Romney’s “1980′s-era foreign policy” ideas during the 2012 campaign season. You can imagine how that went, via RCP:

No, because you have a situation where Russia is violating international law because a country that Moscow — a government that Moscow supported was rejected by the vast majority of the Ukrainian people, and because they wanted to determine their own future, because they wanted to be able to make the decision as to their integration with Europe. They didn’t want to be dictated to by an outside state or an outside authority. I think it’s hardly a demonstration of — it’s not a positive thing for Russia that Ukraine has been moving in this direction. Our whole viewpoint is it doesn’t have to be a negative thing. It is a mistake, certainly, in the long-run for Russia not to accept the fact that Ukraine can, the Ukrainian people should be able to decide for themselves in a democratic manner how they will integrate with Europe, and that doing so doesn’t mean they can not maintain their long, historical and cultural ties to Russia.

Just for posterity’s sake, let’s cut to the video tape:

Now, I can almost kinda’-sorta’ imagine where Carney was trying to take that bloviating response — i.e., Russia is currently acting out of geopolitical weakness rather than strength — but I certainly don’t buy that as an excuse for being so flippant with Romney. Soviet strongman with a plan or desperate empire-chasing quibbler, that doesn’t make Putin’s actions, as the Obama administration so commandingly put it, any less of a 19th century-style “act of aggression” in violation of modern, civilized, international norms or whatever. As Romney argued during the 2012 campaign, Russia is indeed our number one geopolitical foe: No matter how lately diminished their influence, they are still constantly opposing us at the United Nations and acting generally supportive of the world’s worst actors. Obama tried to nail him with a terrorist organization that he himself had argued was “on the run” and with an oh-so-enlightened “pivot to Asia” foreign policy that he has miraculously failed to execute. And Obama’s not feeling just the tiniest bit sheepish about that little episode? Really?

Comments

Exactly why the Press Secretary and daily media brief is such a joke. What did you think he’d say you freaking moron.

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Okay, I’m sorry I called him a moron. He got the question out there. I’m banning myself till QOTD.

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Being liberal means never, ever being wrong about anything.

Lucy43 on March 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

But it was the wrong question, which should have been: “Does Obama regret that Romney was right and he was wrong about Russia being a geopolitical foe?”

Don’t be too hard on yourself.

de rigueur on March 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Jay is married to Claire Shipman. I never could figure that one out. Perhaps she has an exaggerated mothering instinct or something.

butch on March 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I wonder if Carney takes medication for that…?

d1carter on March 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

He said “no” but didn’t explain why. He basically just explained why Romney was right.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I’d like to stomp carneys glasses in to tiny little pieces.

While he’s wearing them.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Poor CarneyKing… Court Jester, there to entertain the so called Journolista’s with their daily entertainment.

/I bet they’re teaching him to juggle softballs.

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

butch on March 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Keyword: “Beards”

check it out sometime. Michelle Obama is a “beard”.

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

…we are all recinding your self ban!…next time though…use capitol letters!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

…we are all recinding your self ban!…next time though…use capitol letters!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

ZZZZT

/LMAO

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on March 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Exactly.

(someone hacked my account and commented during my self-banning)

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

In order to feel sheepish, he would have to have a conscience.

Vero Beach Florida on March 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I cannot imagine the depth of self-loathing one need possess in the futile attempt to pimp for the Whore-in-Chief. [Well, I suppose this applies to most Dems and members of the LSM, too.]

I almost — almost — pity the fools …

“Why Jay, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world … but for Barky?”

ShainS on March 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM

No, of COURSE Obama does not regret being dismissive of Mitt Romney on Russia – after all, Obama is better than perfect. Just ask him, he’ll tell you himself, in no uncertain terms:

Obama = God, magical powers, or alien technology? “…I am absolutely certain that generations from now we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless. This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal…. ” (Obama’s Nomination Victory Speech in St. Paul June 3, 2008)

“I am going to try to be so persuasive, so that those of you who are still wavering…will suddenly come to the conclusion — a light beam will shine through — will light you up — and you will experience an epiphany — I have to vote for Barack!” (Barack Obama, Lebanon, New Hampshire Jan. 7,2008)

Obama: The Day I’m Inaugurated Muslim Hostility Will Ease…because he’d lived in a Muslim country – until he was 10 years old. Latest polls, he’s reviled in the Middle East and no more liked than Bush was. http://tinyurl.com/8lwggbh = http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/09/14/FLASHBACK-Obama-The-Day-Im-Inaugurated-Muslim-Hostility-Will-Ease

2008 Nomination acceptance speech in front of fake Greek Columns on the football field

Vowed that, just as he would to fundamentally transform America, he would “remake the world once again.”

Wrote two autobiographies before he turned 45. Hubris? Autobiographies that turned out to be not very autobiographical after all, no less. You know, ‘composite people’ and ‘composite or representative circumstances’ and all, throughout the books – and only admitted to after he was caught out about those little factual deficiencies.

Inserted himself into official government website biographies of almost all past presidents http://tinyurl.com/9ysrjra

Likens himself to Gandhi and Nelson Mandela

Inserted himself into official government ‘Fact Sheets’ about other nations. This is unprescidented, and nation Fact Sheets are supposed to be directly and only about factual information regarding the specific nation

Created version of American Flag with stars replaced by the “O” Obama campaign logo, and sold for $35 on campaign website. http://tinyurl.com/8p9hcty Then deleted the Obamerican flag from a campaign tweet after complaints were received, but continued selling it from the campaign website.

When we lost Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on the moon 8/24/2012, as a tribute to Neil Armstrong, Obama posts a photo of himself taken several months ago. http://tinyurl.com/8nvzqeh The Ego Has Landed. Irony: The man who gutted the space program and directed NASA to implement a new mission; to improve Muslim relations, posted a picture of himself under a crescent moon in tribute to the first man to walk on the moon…

President Obama honors Rosa Parks Anniversary with… a photo of himself

Paid tribute to the loss of Nelson Mandela with — a photo of himself (bet you couldn’t have guessed that one!)

Used fake Presidential Seal during his pre-presidency campaign

Said he’s the 4th greatest President of all time

Asked to define sin, Barack Obama replied that sin is “being out of alignment with my values.”

Claims Martin Luther King, Jr. would have supported Obamacare. Obama: MLK Would Have Backed ‘Obamacare’

“I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters,” Mr. Obama told Patrick Gaspard, his political director, at the start of the 2008 campaign, according to The New Yorker. “I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m going to think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

He has mentioned more than once in recent weeks that he cooks “a really mean chili.” He has impressive musical pitch, he told an Iowa audience.

He said he is “a surprisingly good pool player, so if you ever see me in a pool hall, don’t just think that you can, uh,..” [interviewer inserted "don't walk up and throw money down"] “that’s exactly what I’m sayin, cause, I might end up cleaning your clock.” he informed an interviewer — not to mention (though he does) a doodler of unusual skill…When he reads a book to children, he starts out by telling them he’s going to do “the best rendition ever.” He constantly talks about being the best.

Further, Washington Democrats say he is all too eager to offer unsolicited advice — on handshakes, writing, and parenting, among other topics. At one of his farewell meetings for White House interns, Mr. Obama dispensed some life advice. “When you all have kids, it’s important to let them win,” he said with a smile. “Until they’re a year old. Then start winning.” So he competes against infants?!

At the 2004 Democratic convention—Mr. Obama explained to a Chicago Tribune reporter that “I’m LeBron, baby. I can play at this level. I got game.”

Pictures himself as a member of “some of the best basketball players on earth. ”

With a group of basketball legends sitting nearby, Obama said: “It’s very rare that I come to an event where I’m like the fifth- or sixth-most interesting person,” Aug. 22, 2012

Obama loves to hear himself talk – about himself. In just 41 speeches so this year, not including this week’s big speech at the United Nations, Obama has talked about himself nearly 1,200 times – 1,198 to be exact. (That breaks down to 1,121 “I”s and just 77 “me”s.)

Raffles visit to his Chicago home on his Birthday for $3 per ticket

Sept 2012, Obama is dying to meet you and thank you – if you pay him. “So if you’re someone who is helping to build this campaign, I want to meet you. I want to thank you in person. And I’d love to hear what’s on your mind. This is the last time we’ll be able to sit down together for one of these — so I hope you’ll take me up on it. Your donation of $12 or whatever you’re able to chip in will automatically enter you [in raffle for dinner with him]” http://tinyurl.com/9d47h8b

Obama agreed to an interview with a DJ “Pimp with a Limp.” Asked “How are you, sir?” Obama replied “Blessed and highly favored.” from: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/09/dolphins-dissing-president-obama-chats-pitbull-medicare-on-911-with-pimp-with-the-limp-dj.html#storylink=cpy

When host and veteran journalist Barbara Walters kidded Michelle Obama about bringing the president as her “date,” to an appearance on “The View” Obama quipped, “I’ve been told I’m just eye candy here.”…

During the show, the Obamas joked about their upcoming anniversary and presented the hosts with White House cloth napkins, golf balls, candy and bottles of Obama’s home-brewed beer.

Obama ad: Few presidents have faced so many challenges

As a formal official gift, President Obama and First Lady gave Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II an ipod uploaded with his speeches, photos of his inauguration, and show tunes, plus photos of her visit to the USA.

Obama, after being sworn in for his second term, said, “I did it”. http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-i-did-it_696501.html No torches passed to a new generation, no morning in America, just a simple three word speech in the first person singular. Brevity is the soul of nit.. , oh, never mind. Pity all his speeches can’t be so to the point.

Obama’s formal official gift to Britain’s Prime Minister, who is well known to have vision problems? A set of DVDs of classic movies that most movie buffs would already have, in a format that can’t play on typical European DVD players.

Rational Db8 on March 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Check the transcript.

rogerb on March 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM

They can’t even admit how wrong they were. President Jugears knows absolutely nothing. Is illiterate on the Constitution, Economics, Foreign Policy, and Geography

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I’m sick and tired of all the talk here. Nothing but talk, talk talk all the time. The copyright at the bottom of this page is 2006-2014 So HotAir has been around since 2006 and the media is still corrupt. And the democrats still lie. You’re all a bunch of powerless chumps in an echo chamber. Goodbye HotAir

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Agreed..The White House press briefings have long outlived their usefulness..:)

Dire Straits on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I laughed when I read that. I have a pretty good imagination but I can’t imagine a scenario where Obama is contrite about anything.

Padre on March 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Is Obama unaware that his recent SOS just said that Putin is like Hitler?

VorDaj on March 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

No. Because, once this guy starts admitting that he was wrong about any one thing, then the other ones start lining up.

And it’s a long way down from there.

Maybe he’s afraid of heights.

dissent555 on March 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM

So, according to foreign-policy expert Carney, it was a mistake for Putin to invade Ukraine because he thought he could get away with it? So, Mr. Carney, If Putin doesn’t get punished for it, how is his invasion of Ukraine a “mistake”?

If Romney had been President since January 2013 and recognized Russia as a geopolitical foe, he probably would have re-instated the missile defenses in Poland, and not shown any “flexibility” toward Putin over the last year. Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov would probably be dealing with John Bolton instead of John Kerry, and might have been more worried about the consequences of invading Crimea…

Steve Z on March 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Is illiterate on the Constitution, Economics, Foreign Policy, and Geography

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Add “history” to that list – Obama quite regularly gets major historical issues dead wrong. For example, did you know that Emperor Hirohito personally came down and signed the surrender to MacArthur? That Rutherford Hayes was so anti-science and anti-technology that he spurned the telephone? (in fact, he installed the first phone into the White House and was very pro-science/tech).

Frankly, there doesn’t seem to be much of anything that Obama can manage to get right.

Rational Db8 on March 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Jay Carney = Baghdad Bob

sirpatrick on March 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Don’t forget to take your ball with you.

Jackalope on March 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM

You’re all a bunch of powerless chumps in an echo chamber. Goodbye HotAir

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Maybe you forgot /s or maybe you didn’t.

Do keep HA updated when you break through the media and the Democrats’ shield, okay?

Vero Beach Florida on March 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Being liberal means never having to say you’re sorry.

Socratease on March 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM

obama doesn’t feel sheepish.

obama is a sheep.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Open Letter From Ukrainian Jewish Community To Putin: Stop Lying And Get Out Of The Ukraine

Resist We Much on March 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM

The Chief Rabbi of Ukraine has said that the only threats to Ukrainian Jews are coming from outside Ukraine.
Currently the running joke is:
Vlad: Sasha, you are such a nationalist and fascist extremist.
Sasha: I know, and so are all the members of my synagogue!

VorDaj on March 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Okay, I shouldn’t have clicked on that clip where Obama snarks about the 1980s wanting their foreign policy back. The longer clip above shows just how wrong the filthy lazy bastard in the White House has been. Now I’m just riled up and angry about the stupid rat-eared coward and his entire administration.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM

No, because you have a situation where Russia is violating international law

No… because Putin doesn’t play fair. He doesn’t follow the rules — he who has the guns…

Kaffa on March 6, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Rational Db8 on March 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Well, except for one thing, that which is the most important to him, Fundamentally Transforming America, and at that he is doing very well and with almost no opposition in congress.

VorDaj on March 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM
See ya’.

Lucano on March 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM

obama is a sheep.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

More like a sheeple herder.

VorDaj on March 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

obama doesn’t feel sheepish.

obama is a sheep.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

…ewe!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Translating Carney tripe—-”Why, no, the President does not feel foolish for speaking foolishly or ignorantly.”

NixTyranny on March 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Resist We Much on March 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Been trapped in an elevator for a couple of months? Everybody kind of wondered what happened.

oldroy on March 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Maybe the President just doesn’t know how to say “I’m sorry America”. Some people have a hard time admitting fault.

Just kidding; the guys an idiot, and so are his little propaganda minions.

MTF on March 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

You’re all a bunch of powerless chumps in an echo chamber. Goodbye HotAir

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Said he as his mommy brought him wagon wheel macaroni and cheese with a side of tuckin’ in blankie time.

Awwww. So sweet.

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

obama is a sheep.

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

More like a sheeple herder.

VorDaj on March 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Is a goat herder any different? His daddy was a goat herder from Africa. Ya know. And his mom was a lilly white girl from …

/sorry, that’s all we are entitled to know

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

You’re all a bunch of powerless chumps in an echo chamber. Goodbye HotAir

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Awwww. So sweet.

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Just what do you suppose uncle jj thinks we should do? All my DC critters are worthless Dems in safe seats- talk about screaming into an echo chamber! Closer to the election there will be plenty to do but, for now, it seems a good thing to have a site where the Ron Paul “libertarians” can voice their isolationist nonsense next to the McCain hawks and Obama defenders (though the trolls have been few of late- a telling sign).

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Man, crappy news day if this can garner 40+ comments.

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Of course the president does not regret being dismissive. It was more important that the president score a shot and 1-up Mr. Romney, play to the crowd, and show how sharp he was … than learn anything from an opposing point of view.

majorzot on March 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Maybe the President just doesn’t know how to say “I’m sorry America”.

MTF on March 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Maybe if we encouraged him to say it in Austrian.

No really the guy is an idiot on whom his Ivy League education was a complete waste of affirmative action quotas and lower standards for blacks than whites.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM

been trapped in an elevator for a couple of months? Everybody kind of wondered what happened. oldroy on March 6, 2014 at 7:34 Pm

Just glad she’s back.

~~~~~~~~

I don’t think putin really will care what that well written letter says. His false premise will stand.

Russia has low info voters and a state controlled media.

Like us.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Start our own militia ?
We could call it ” HAM ” .

Lucano on March 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

oldroy on March 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

The baker in the village
Claims he saw the woman just last week!
Flying a unicorn cross the moor!
She’s been seen!
Wearing full Irish green
I’ve told you all before!

PercyB on March 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

/sorry, that’s all we are entitled to know

Key West Reader on March 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I might describe that mother of his a little differently, but she was from Kansas. How perfect for the great ozbama!

Naturally Curly on March 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

majorzot on March 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Speaking of which, we’re close to the beginning of March Madness. I wonder when we will be treated to his bracketing of the NCAA Men’s basketball teams.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Isn’t no regrets part of the pathology?

anuts on March 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Did I miss a memo that told us where we were supposed to draw pitchforks and torches?

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Naturally Curly on March 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Also home of the Wicked Witch of the West in charge of HHS. Though I probably would use a word that rhymes with witch.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM

did I miss a memo that told us where we were supposed to draw pitchforks and torches? hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Check your spam folder.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Isn’t no regrets part of the pathology?

anuts on March 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM

For NPD, it’s less about regrets than it is about having any responsibility for things that go wrong. Somebody ELSE is always at fault even for personal failures and issues where the rat-eared wonder had direct responsibilty. If SEAL Team Six had not been successful, it would have been DoD’s failure but since they did get OBL, the rat-eared one made it into a victory lap so offensive you would have thought he personally HALO’d in and took the kill shot.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

That’s not true!

We got trolls!

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Check your spam folder.

wolly4321 on March 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Ah, there it is with my Verizon bill.

Did you draw yours?

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Ukraine: This place feels familiar. I’ve been here before.

Or maybe it just reminds me of another place. Was it Iran, 1953? Guatemala, 1954? Was it Congo, 1961? Chile, 1973? Maybe it was Iraq, 1990. Or Iraq, 2003. Or Libya, 2011. Or Syria, 2013. Or Vietnam. Or…..

Something seems so very déjà vu. Some regime that is not sufficiently open to the embrace of “Western love” and then there are mobs and then the US government and the UK government and their allies suddenly see the need to “do the right thing” and help the public rid themselves of a corrupt ruler and enjoy vibrant, sunshiny democracy. (No matter that this man was actually elected.)

The problem is, you can only believe that the West truly cares about the people of Ukraine and their democracy if you have zero historical memory.

The West has a long history of getting rid of leaders who exhibit any streak of independence. Their dislikability is not the issue. The West has shown it doesn’t mind tyrants at all—provided they are our tyrants. It did business with them….until it decided not to. Meanwhile, there are the charming rulers of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the Gulf mini-monarchies and the like

One of the more popular media themes has been the blatant corruption of the Ukrainian leader. But before we trash Yanukovych for “enriching himself,” take a look at the splendor in which the American president resides, and look at how comfortably our Bushes and our Clintons live after leaving the White House. Everybody benefits from the endemic corruption of the global system….except for the people whose labors actually sustain it.

And then there’s this little thing: everything, pretty much, is about money. And not just Yanukovych’s hankering for the finest gold toilet fixtures. The battle with Russia, like coming battles with China, and like just about every intervention in the Middle East and elsewhere, is for control of energy supplies—the greatest source of wealth in the history of the world.

It’s worth noting that the Middle East is not the next big thing when it comes to energy supplies. The former Soviet Union is. And after that, it’s the Arctic—where guess who is the West’s biggest competitor? Why, Russia.

So you can recognize Putin for what he is—another egomaniacal tyrant —and still recognize that he provides an essential balance to what would otherwise be an unchallenged superpower hegemony.

If Putin and Russia continue to be surrounded and marginalized, the world will become ever more hostage to the whims of the Wolves-of-Wall-Street class that drives the energy industry, which in turn drives the policies of the White House, Downing Street and other similar addresses.

Ultimately, it is us, the citizens of the West, who lose big. In allowing uncontested victories by this unelected alliance operating putatively on our behalf, we the people marginalize our own interests. We also ensure that we ourselves never break free of our own political corruption—and remain unable to inaugurate our own real, functioning democracy.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on March 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Mitt Romney was wrong. America’s #1 geopolitical foe isn’t Russia. Its Barak Obama.

paulsur on March 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Start our own militia ?

We could call it ” HAM ” .

Lucano on March 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Would that deter the conservative Jews? ;0

But more seriously, anything with militia has connotations of compounds and if you are not the Kennedy family, being described as living in a compound is not a good thing.

Given the IRS targeting standards, maybe a good name would be DEMS United. Defenders of Ecology, Minorities, and Sexes (DEMS) United. It’s suitably vague but also has that progressive sort of vibe that might fly under the radar.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM

paulsur on March 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM

That’s what John Bolton said today and I agree.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

uncle jj on March 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

So are you going to go somewhere where there is no talk?

anuts on March 6, 2014 at 8:05 PM

On the list of Idiotic Blathering Responses that makes up Jay Carney’s professional career to this point, this one has to be Top Five.

Jaibones on March 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM

carny 1 (also carnie or carney)
noun [usu. as adj. ] informal

a carnival or amusement show : a carny atmosphere.
• a person who works in a carnival or amusement show.

hepcat on March 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Narcissistic Jackazz proud of being a Narcissistic Jackazz.

ToddPA on March 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Mitt was right and if he would have won I would want him to do absolutely nothing about it. IMHO we’re doing too much now.
There is absolutely nothing conservative about trying to be the worlds policeman. It’s nonsense. If the neocons want to be on a constant war footing let them have their kids go down and enlist. And no MOS but 11b for the lot of them.

frank on March 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM

hawkdriver on March 6, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I actually feel sorry for the dopey Carney, well, some days anyway. The REB’s administration is so broken, incompetent and lame duck that he’s pretty much stuck there. Who in their right mind would take that job today?

slickwillie2001 on March 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Incoherent rambling.

Devils Advocate mode:
A good response might have been to say that every country has it’s own geopolitical issues, and that while one involving Russia has flared up at this point in time, it’s a leap to say that Russia is our singular most important geopolitical foe. Russia may have taken extraordinary steps at this point, and we are seeking a diplomatic solution, but if you review your post WW2 history, the best way to start a cold-war style conflict is to acting like another country is your arch-nemesis.

ebrawer on March 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Finally, something that Obama can actually accomplish.

While eating lunch during a visit to New Britain, Conn., with four New England governors, Obama was asked by a reporter if he had any reaction to the allegation that the CIA monitored Intelligence Committee computers.

“I’m going to try to make sure I don’t spill anything on my tie,” he responded.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/03/05/220273/senate-staffers-slipped-secret.html#storylink=cpy

Mini-14 on March 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

frank on March 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Regional stability and challenging the invasion of Ukraine is hardly trying to be the world’s policeman. You do realize that we have a moral obligation based on what we promised when they disarmed, right?

Evil happens when good men do nothing. Same holds true of nations. And BTW, nations have DIME (Diplomatic, Information, Military, Economic) options at their disposal. We are not going to go to war with Russia but that doesn’t mean we should all become Ron Paul isolationist loons and scream “screw you Ukraine.”

Grow up and be realistic if you want to be taken seriously.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Grow up and be realistic if you want to be taken seriously.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

You’re speaking to one of the hagfish’s socks, Nomad.

Lanceman on March 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM

A chorus line might be better ?

Lucano on March 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Devils Advocate mode:

ebrawer on March 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

What’s flared up that requires Russia to occupy a whole region of a neighboring nation?

What’s required Russia to sink a ship in the channel to bottle up the remaining Ukrainian fleet?

Why the need for a referendum if Crimea should be part of Russia?

I too am playing devil’s advocate but the fact of the matter is that there was no real casus belli that required Russian intervention. The Ukranian’s were leaning toward the West and Putin couldn’t have that.

It would escalate tensions (remember I’m playing devil’s advocate here) but what if Ukraine was immediately given membership in NATO. ;0

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Texyank on March 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Obama doesn’t even know he looks like an idiot everytime that Romney clip is shown now. Will there be a special presidential address regarding his march madness picks?

Ellis on March 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Mitt was right again…The arrogant manchild continues to lie and the racists idiots continue to support him because he is black. Actually biracial but they only recognize the black side since the white grandma and grandpa raised him. Sickening

Indianatime on March 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Indianatime on March 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Mitt was right about a number of things but obama will not recognize it because it obliterates everything he says. obama regrets nothing, he isn’t capable of being anything but a liar and a racist. He’s just a disgusting pig who unfortunately holds this country hostage with his followers. Sounds very familiar.

onesheep on March 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Filthy, greasy, lying thugs are often incapable of shame…

JohnGalt23 on March 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Maybe the President just doesn’t know how to say “I’m sorry America”.
MTF on March 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Maybe if we encouraged him to say it in Austrian.
Happy Nomad on March 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM

While bowing at a 90 degree angle to the president of Canada, greeting him with the well known adage: “Cinco de Quatro!” And if a few in the audience help out by fainting while taking selfies on their Obamaphone – and the corpse-men and paralegals of course will be on hand to help out too, with breathalyzers on hand.

Rational Db8 on March 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Being liberal means never, ever being wrong about anything.

Lucy43 on March 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Thread. Winner.

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Why should he? He won. And he would have said or done anything to do it.

Gatsu on March 7, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Regret requires self-awareness and objectivity, so the answer is “NO”.

Ray Van Dune on March 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM

What a tool! That sycophant can say absolutely nothing in more words than, well, his Dear Leader…

vnvet on March 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

When will the Obama-media ever learn that asking if Obama did something wrong and will now admit it, is as fruitless as asking a sidewinder if it regrets having fangs.

Don L on March 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I actually feel sorry for the dopey Carney…
slickwillie2001 on March 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Don’t, programmed robots merely thrive on an oil change once a week, unlike their more human teleprompter comrades.

Don L on March 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Mr. Obama is genetically incapable of acknowledging his mistakes, lies, and gaffs; his ego does not permit that. And he surrounds himself with those who will remain on that bus with him. He is also so thin-skinned that he cannot have anyone around him who does not agree with him always.

It is disappointing that any group of people can back for public office a person so flawed as an administrator and leader, just because he reflects their ideology.

TKPedersen42 on March 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Mr. Obama isn’t bright enough to regret and I am sure his mouthpiece does not want you to mention his foolishness again.

John21 on March 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM