Pryor: Military service makes Tom Cotton feel “entitlement,” or something

posted at 8:41 am on March 5, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The irony of this attack on Rep. Tom Cotton by Mark Pryor is so huge that it’s impossible to overstate. Interviewed by NBC News while fighting an uphill battle to retain his Senate seat, Pryor claimed that Cotton’s pursuit of his office came from a “sense of entitlement” from having served in the military, emphasis mine:

“Some people say I’m a young man in a hurry. Guess what? They’re right. We’ve got urgent problems and I am in a hurry to solve them,” Cotton said when he announced his Senate bid.

The quick rise has won him an attack ad from Pryor, who says that Cotton has “blind ambition” and a sense of entitlement that will turn voters off, even considering his military background.

“There’s a lot of people in the Senate that didn’t serve in the military,” Pryor told NBC News. “Obviously in the Senate we have all types of different people, all kinds of different folks that have come from all types of different backgrounds—and I think that’s part of that sense of entitlement that he gives off is that, almost like, I served my country, let me into the Senate. But that’s not how it works in Arkansas.”

No? How does it work in Arkansas? Apparently, having your daddy be Governor and Senator first is a much more legitimate platform for entitlement:

If Pryor is going to hang on, it’s because to many of the voters here in Arkansas, he’s almost family. …

The Senate seat Pryor holds has been in his family for a total of three decades. His father is one of what they call the “big three” in Arkansas politics: David Pryor, who was governor and senator; Dale Bumpers, also governor and senator; and Bill Clinton, who was governor and, of course, president of the United States.

Notably, no one on the Morning Joe panel wanted to defend Pryor:

Notice the chyron? “Pryor’s father was Governor and Senator of Arkansas.” Not even the production booth missed the irony of someone trading on the family name lashing out at his opponent’s supposed “sense of entitlement.” Pryor was probably toast anyway, but this should bury him — and the family dynasty.

Comments

A SENATOR accusing someone who served in the military of having a “sense of entitlement” is definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

Or should I use a different simile with Obama as President to avoid being called a RAAAAACIST?

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Chutzpah, thy name is Mark Pryor.

Bitter Clinger on March 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Progressives are nothing if not masters of projection.

tdarrington on March 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Um, wow.

cozmo on March 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM

The old Kennedy seat instead of the people seat faux pas

Hope cotton uses this in ads

cmsinaz on March 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM

If you are going down, you might as well be aflame.

Now tell us what you really think.

Mord on March 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM

If you hear the entire report….the reporter was portraying cotton in a negative light and Pryor in a positive light…. imho

cmsinaz on March 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM

What a douche!

powerpickle on March 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM

cmsinaz on March 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Yeah, but it was mild for MSNBC.

cozmo on March 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Wow. I’m not gonna even pretend to understand what the hell Pryor was talking about. I can only assume he himself feels that Senate seat belongs to him and is PO’d that some upstart Representative is on the verge of taking it away from him.

Doughboy on March 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM

The old Kennedy seat instead of the people seat faux pas

Hope cotton uses this in ads

cmsinaz on March 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Let’s just hope Cotton doesn’t say anything stupid about rape. Because if he doesn’t, he’s got this.

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM

But that’s not how it works in Arkansas.

Yeah, we know that’s not how it works which is exactly why you are going to get bounced. People are tired of “how it works”. Mostly because it doesn’t work for anybody except a few individuals.

Rocks on March 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM

And here I thought that Wendy Davis demanding Greg Abbot walk in her shoes was the high-water mark of stupidity this election cycle.

And, Senator Pryor you are right. Service in the military is not a requirement for the Senate but I’d say that a Harvard Grad who deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan with the Army is far more qualified to represent the people of Arkansas than a pudgy divorced legacy candidate.

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Good point cozmo

Constantine…. he’s a smart one methinks

cmsinaz on March 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Who was the reporter that was quite obviously in on the gag?

BKeyser on March 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Fascist-Democrats get ugly when they panic.

rbj on March 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

My dad was born in Arkansas,went into Omaha Beach on DDay then worked in a factory building airplanes the rest of his life,Never once heard him say any of us was entitled to anything.I think I know what he would say to Pryor.

docflash on March 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Holy cow. What were Pryor’s qualifications for office, again? This is almost as bad as Wendy Davis saying Greg Abbott hasn’t walked in her shoes.

changer1701 on March 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM

docflash on March 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I’m guessing that Pryor’s staffers are getting an awful lot of “feedback” this morning.

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

changer1701 on March 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I said it first!

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

changer1701 on March 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Democrats are not noted for their intellectual prowess.

They are great pseudo-intellectuals though.

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Your last name is Pryor, not Kennedy. Therefore you are entitled to nothing, and must run the rat race like every other mortal.

Mord on March 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM

docflash

What I wouldn’t give to hear it!

tree hugging sister on March 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Mord on March 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM

The boomers are starting to die off. How much longer will a Kennedy still be a Kennedy?

Why, in 10 years you might even be able to convict one of murder when they commit one!

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Reminds me of a line from “Hamburger Hill” where the dude says, “I see. So they pulled the silver spoon out of my mouth and sent me to Vietnam to see how you poor people live.”

Go eff yourself, Pryor, you loser.

Bishop on March 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I think I know what he would say to Pryor.

docflash on March 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM

If your old man is anything like my old man he wouldn’t say much, but he would DO quite a bit to Pryor.

Bishop on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Good people of Arkansas please elect Cotton.

Bmore on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Maybe. But last week they couldn’t even convict one (Kerry Kennedy) of driving under the influence when she was obviously driving under the influence and hit a truck.

Bitter Clinger on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Well, considering the respect Our Masters accord the rest of the Constitution, maybe they should drop the last mask and award hereditary titles along with these offices, which are obviously the property of the families that hold them by virtue of their obvious Superiority and Noble Blood. Say, like so:

City Council seat = Baronet
Mayoralty = Baron
State senate or legislature seat = Earl
Congressional seat = Viscount
US Senate seat = Duke

And of course, the President becomes His/Her Majesty the King/Queen. Why pretend that we matter anymore?

werewife on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Speaking of ‘entitlement’ and ‘background’, that’s what Ark voters need to agree on. This idjit is ‘entitled’ slither way into the ‘background’ of political oblivion.

vnvet on March 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Bitter Clinger on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

That’s what I mean, it’s not possible now because too many boomers are still sitting on juries.

In 10 years that won’t be the case.

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Mord on March 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM

What if your last name is Dingell?

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM

werewife on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

You forgot the rank of Marquess. Which I would suggest would be used by his/her majesty to reward those who pleased them or did something “brave” like announcing they are a gay NBA player.

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Oh, when them cotton bolls get rotten
You can’t pick very much cotton,
In them old cotton fields back home.

Shy Guy on March 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

There is nothing more anti-American than family political dynasties. They are putrid and repulsive. Families with no talents other than name recognition embed themselves into politics. They are worms of the lowest sort, as are the idiot voters who elect them.

This is one area where we are lucky that the left are destroying the concept of family, I guess … What a friggin mess this society is.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Obama slashing military spending. Senate Democrat says military service gives opponent a sense of entitlement. Sounds like a taylor made media meme of a new ‘war on the Military’… If only a minimum wage hike to increase unemployment was not so urgent

drivingtheview on March 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Yep.

Bmore on March 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Toss him… obviously nobody that has ever served in the military is a patriot, has a sense for public duty, has served an entity larger than themselves, or shown true courage in the face of adversity. Only people born to that level know how to lead. Without a family history of milking the people you are not worthy!

NiteOwl on March 5, 2014 at 9:33 AM

that’s RICH:

pryor got his job because hi father had it before him.

(as if it’s a “pryor seat” – like the dingell seat in the house)

now THAT is entitlement!

reliapundit on March 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM

What if your last name is Dingell?

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Then you live forever…or something.

Bitter Clinger on March 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

So, what are the bets now that Pryor gets south of 40% of the vote, or maybe even 35%.

ConservativePartyNow on March 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Pryor is a stinking hypocrite for one thing, and for another he is responsible for the Obunglercare train wreck. The guy is a pathetic joke at this point.

Whitey Ford on March 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Here is how my morning went. Prostate woke me up at 3:00 rummaging around in the medicine cabinet trying to find my blue bills to flush down the loo. Wrestled with the sucker for 30 minutes and finally got it squared away and restful. Then I forgot where I laid down my trifocals and had to shave in the blind. After I found my glasses and noticed my beard, I will be going to Home Depot to install a stripper pole. Wife hid my handicap hand tag ‘cause she thinks I need the extra exercise and should walk more. Took my youngest kid to Chick-Fil-A and the young chick behind the counter wanted to know why grandpa had the kid out of school. First she is my daughter and she is home schooled. Sheesh. Stopped by Kroger and was given the senior citizen discount without being asked my age. Finally, I get to work after a white-knuckle dive at 55mph with my right turn signal on the whole time and what do I see…….your darn post.

The boomers are starting to die off. ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

THANKS!!!!!!

HonestLib on March 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

…geez…I would say “This guy has balls!”…but!

KOOLAID2 on March 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM

**Breaking News**

Elijah Cummings still an idiot. Talking into a dead mike after Issa shut down the hearing following Lerner’s refusal to answer questions.

Oldnuke on March 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I can’t wait until November.

Marcus on March 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM

THANKS!!!!!!

HonestLib on March 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Lolz! ; )

Bmore on March 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM

HonestLib on March 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

P.S. I thought there was an Ingles out your way. Lolz! ; )

Bmore on March 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

THANKS!!!!!!

HonestLib on March 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Nothing to see here, happens to everyone. She screwed up on legal drugs… not like she did something illegal. Hell, I’ve done that myself more times that I can count.

Of course I can’t count very high… math is hard.

Besides if one Kennedy can drown a plebe why can’t another run them over?

Media response: The Kennedy clan wins another chariot race! No details will follow.

NiteOwl on March 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Prince Pryor the Third is upset that the peasantry want to be heard.

Pity that guillotine thingie is…well, considered in bad taste.

orangemtl on March 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM

P.S. I thought there was an Ingles out your way. Lolz! ; )

Bmore on March 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Phfttt….I’m more the Piggly Wiggly type. Besides I could not figure out how to spell Ingles. I know the post was silly but I can’t stay up for the QOTD thread during the week. BlueGill will be by to warn me soon I bet!

HonestLib on March 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

**Breaking News**

Oldnuke on March 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Was there suppose to be a link with that? Just asking because my crystal ball broke… into crystal meth (damn workingclass artist) and I missed it. Well, other that Cummings being an idiot… who could miss that? :-)

NiteOwl on March 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Do me a favor, don’t call me Ma’am.

Fallon on March 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I’m just impressed that something from Arkansas made Hot Air.

Dino V on March 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Do me a favor, don’t call me Ma’am.

Fallon on March 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Lolz! Okay, what would you like me to call you?

Bmore on March 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Foghorn Leghorn: [Sees Cotton trying to tie down a pumpkin on a catapult] Now what’s that boy up to? Better check on him. Say whatcha doin’ there… Now just wait a cotton picking minute, there son. No, no, you’ll never get it done that way, you’re not corrupt enough. You gotta have the know-how.
[Ties pumpkin down]
Foghorn Leghorn: There, your pumpkin’s tied down pretty.
Cotton: Got a match, mister?
Foghorn Leghorn: Match?
[Gives him a match]
Foghorn Leghorn: Here you are, boy. Now don’t set the world on fire.
[Cotton uses match to light candle under the rope holding down the pumpkin]
Foghorn Leghorn: These kids growing up nowadays, don’t even know how to tie down their own pumpkins. Why, when I was a boy… Say, I never tied down no pumpkins. Hey, son! Whatcha tying down a pumpkin for?
[the candle burns through the rope, releasing the pumpkin and launching it onto Foghorn's head]
Foghorn Leghorn: Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Cotton: I’m no chicken hawk, But I did serve in the military and I’m gonna take your seat. Come on, I ain’t got all day.
Foghorn Leghorn: [Chuckles, then pretends to be scared] Oh Mister No Chicken Hawk, don’t take me home to roast in no black ballot box. I’m scared of the dark!
[Fake sobs]
Cotton: Would you rather be fried on top of the stove?
Foghorn Leghorn: I’m too tough, son. No white meat, just gristle. Feel my wing. I used to be young and tender once – Feel my wing like I toldya, boy! – but that was a long time ago. Now if you – I say, if you want something tender, nothing beats a good old peasant. Peasant or voter under glass, that’s good electioneering’! Any of this getting through, son?
Cotton: Are there any of these p-p-peasants around?
Foghorn Leghorn: Why of course, son! Here, I’ll take you to one.
[Walks with Cotton, humming "A Hunting I Will Go", until they reach the Dog's house]
Foghorn Leghorn: Quiet down, we’re near peasant country now. There’s the peasant’s house over there, near Little Rock.
Cotton: Gosh! I don’t like talking to voters like they’re peasants and I don’t like you talking that way either.
Foghorn Leghorn: [Gives Cotton a wad of greenbacks] Here, walk in with this and hand it over him and you’ve got a peasants en masse.

GKChesterton99 on March 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Pryor is a first class panicky dirtbag.

rplat on March 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM

NiteOwl on March 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Sorry but I don’t have a link I was watching it live on FoxNews.

Oldnuke on March 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I’m just impressed that something from Arkansas made Hot Air.

Dino V on March 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The Clinton have many times…

NiteOwl on March 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM

don’t have to look too hard to find out why this country is going down the toilet…. minions be damned

roflmmfao

donabernathy on March 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM

THANKS!!!!!!

HonestLib on March 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Join the club, friend. :-)

Athanasius on March 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM

“It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin’ on the porch with my family, singin’ and dancin’ down in Arkansas…”
/Jerk Pryor

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Fluke off, traitor. To Hades with all who voted for the obama’care’ travesty. Hell will be too good for you, even the 9th layer of it.

Schadenfreude on March 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Happy Nomad

Thanks for the catch, Nomad. Yesterday we got to learn about brave young Ronan Farrow, recently created Marquess of Television. Expect his bid for real power in a few years.

werewife on March 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I would love to spend 5 minutes alone in a room explaining my military sense of entitlement to a fat POS progressive POS Senator from Arkansas…

Doomsday on March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Prior military service is no true indicator of a person’s qualities as a political office holder. Defense Secretary Hagel is a complete toady to Obama, but maybe he’s an exception. although a Vietnam vet, he was most probably the type of soldier that fragged his officers and spent most of his time stoned.

His record as a Defense Secretary is, shall I say, much less patriotic and enthused about America than say, a Rumsfeld, but that is to be expected from a liberal Democrat where all thought of America First must be sworn away to party loyalty.

dockywocky on March 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Tom Cotton held the most challenging, invigorating and resonsiblility laden job on Earth. He commanded a rifle company in combat.
(And Mark Pryor? He supported and voter for ObamaCare.)

The U.S. Senate had better make way for Lt. Col. Cotton’s arrival.

Missilengr on March 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

dockywocky on March 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Absolutely true. I’ve known some far left libtards in the military.

In fact we have a retired 2 star AF General, USAFA grad, running against incumbent Doug Lamborn (R, Colorado Springs) for his House seat.
Based on his military background, I might have considered the General to toff out a multi-term incumbent – but he’s running as a Dem – no way no how.

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM

werewife on March 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

And in the British aristocracy, a viscount is above a baron but below an earl.

I think marquess should be for supreme court justices. Those peons who do something “brave” or worthy of praise get to be a knight/dame. Those are nice, honorary titles, but they can’t be inherited. One wouldn’t want the masses to get ideas above their station.

CJ on March 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Yeah, but that’s true of almost everyone in Arkansas – almost family…………

GWB on March 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, but that’s true of almost everyone in Arkansas – almost family…………

GWB on March 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Welcome to Arkansas – 2.9 million people, 5 families….

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM

His use of the phrase “sense of entitlement” was laughable. All members of Congress seem to have a sense of entitlement that once they are elected they are elected for life. The voters have right to decide for whom they vote. Personally, I would give great weight to anyone who has served in our military. In fact, I wish we had more former members of the United States military in Congress.

SC.Charlie on March 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Here, Mr. Pryor…let me call you a “Whaa-mbulance”!

boojo on March 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM