Breaking: Senate defeats controversial Obama nominee to head DOJ’s civil rights division

posted at 1:21 pm on March 5, 2014 by Allahpundit

Wait a sec. Didn’t Harry Reid nuke the filibuster for presidential appointees a few months ago? Why, indeed he did, which means Republicans had no hope of stopping this confirmation by themselves. They’d need at least six Democrats to cross the aisle to get to 51 no’s. And given how humiliating that would be for The One, no one expected it to happen. Joe Biden was apparently standing by in the chamber today to provide the 51st yes, just in case five Dems got cold feet and the final tally ended up 50/50.

Eight Democrats voted no, although Reid was among them only to preserve his ability to move to reconsider the nomination later if need be. Nomination defeated.

Six of the key seven there make sense: Casey, Donnelly, Heitkamp, Manchin, Pryor, and Walsh are all either red- or purple-staters and therefore leery of cuddling up to a guy who’s known for having defended Mumia Abu-Jamal. Coons is the outlier. He’s from deep-blue Delaware and doesn’t face reelection for another two years. They didn’t even need his vote ultimately to kill the nomination. Can’t wait to find out what that’s about. Could be that the shooting of Daniel Faulkner was simply too close to home: It happened in Philadelphia, just across the border from Delaware. Delawareans may be liberal on most issues, but not quite all.

Another surprise is some of the red-state Democrats who did vote yes, including/especially red-staters who are up in November. What on earth were Mary Landrieu and Kay Hagan, who’s rocking a 33 percent approval rating these days in North Carolina, thinking? Better yet, what were Obama and Reid thinking in forcing people like Landrieu and Hagan to choke on this vote when they weren’t sure they had 51 in the bank to confirm? Why not just pull the nomination and admit defeat? Something’s up here. Did a bunch of Democrats surprise Reid by switching at the last second? Or maybe Reid knew that some were on the fence but figured that they’d never, ever stab Obama in the back if he called their bluff and made them vote on it. Surprise.

In related news, Barack Obama is a very lame duck.

Update: There was indeed a last-minute flip. Who?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She might do it given the mental anguish she’s endured with this affrontery. And IIRC she wasn’t allowed to testify in the Judiciary Committee against this nomination.

matthew8787 on March 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Harry Reid would say she’s lying on behalf of the TEA party or Koch brothers.

freedomfirst on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Part of the Democrats War on Cops.

rbj on March 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Thread winner!

I think we just might have something here…

Ricard on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Too many posters are missing the point. The Dems in all these tight states already had the Black vote and the Progressive vote sewn up; they didn’t want or need this vote to reinforce anyone or get anybody agitated.

Instead, Obama and Reid have put them in a needless and stupid position by making them walk this plank.

There is NO upside for Landrieu, Hagan, Shaheen, Warner, Udall, Begich in any of this.

matthew8787 on March 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM

For Landrieu, Hagan, and Warner, it won’t make a difference in share of black vote. It will make a difference in black turnout in a midterm election without Obama’s coattails.

blammm on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

“Those honkies ain’t through with me yet!”, the Civil Rights nominee yelled.

/S

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I believe AP responded on this a long time back, and if I remember the ads are part of an overall package – they can’t selectively disable them. I also think there’s the issue of them being owned by Salem/Townhall as well.

They seem to have a policy of categorically not responding to any complaints about popup ads or autoplay.

Doomberg on March 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I use Mozilla Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus, and I’ve never seen any of the popups, etc., others have.

BTW, they’re all free.

cheers

eon

eon on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Old Country Boy on March 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Oh, grow up! I use ad block and have never seen a pop up.

Blake on March 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I agree. Ever since I installed AdBlock Plus almost all my problems disappeared from Hot Air and Townhall.

Once in while they’ll still have a self-starting video in the main content, but that’s another issue.

ZeusGoose on March 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

My thoughts are with the Faulkner family. May the disruptions and painful reminders, that the cop killer and anyone who is/has been associated with him tend to bring up on a yearly basis, finally cease. Until they cease, may your hearts and minds grow stronger each time you are tested and know there are so many people who support you.

31giddyup on March 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM

ZeusGoose on March 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

About the only problem I still have with HA is the occasional “Content Encoding Error” crashes.

I’ve traced repeatedly that to garbage code originating from Facebook.

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I’ve traced repeatedly that to garbage code originating from Facebook.

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM

… maybe not too occasionally. Facebook just caused another “Content Encoding Error” over on the private sector jobs thread.

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

recess appointment in 4-3-2-

conservative tarheel on March 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

blammm on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Possibly. It will make a huge difference with swing voters when they learn that their pseudo “moderate” Democratic senator voted to confirm a PR flak for a convicted cop killer for a position in the DOJ.

This is a NET NEGATIVE for any Dem up for re-election. The outside groups can have a field day with this. The ads write themselves.

matthew8787 on March 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Blacks run the vote-theft machinery in the corrupt Democratic inner cities. Landrieu and Hagan may be past an honest election win, but perhaps they haven’t given up on just stealing it, Al Franken-style.

slickwillie2001 on March 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM

THIS.

Adegbile was nominated to this post specifically to fight Voter ID laws in states like Louisiana, and try to get around the SCOTUS decision on the Voting Rights Act so that DOJ can continue to veto redistricting plans and voter ID laws in the VRA states. That is his real expertise and was when he was with the NAACPLDF.

rockmom on March 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

No trolls here yet. Lucy? Brayam? Redford? Brian?

Crickets.

slickwillie2001 on March 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Harry Reid would say she’s lying on behalf of the TEA party or Koch brothers.

freedomfirst on March 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I’d do a cartwheel if he did. Another round of ads gets written. Whom would voters believe: Harry Reid, or the widow of a slain police officer?

matthew8787 on March 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

matthew8787 on March 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

It may be a stretch if Adegbile’s nomination is withdrawn, to try to use it as a campaign issue. But the FOP probably will, and at the least none of the Senators will get any law enforcement endorsements this year. Democrats always crave those to show people they are strong on law and order.

rockmom on March 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Hopefully, the GOP nominee won’t be an idiot.

ladyingray on March 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM

It’s looking like it will be Ed Gillespie so I’d put odds at 50/50.

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Gotta get Frank Underwood to whip the votes next time.

El_Terrible on March 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

So does Carper feel insulated enough to vote for confirmation?

Bitter Clinger on March 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Carper’s been elected statewide nine times. He’ll die in that office if he so chooses.

Coons is only in the Senate thanks largely to a rather impetuous choice by the TEA party in 2010. He’s not unbeatable.

Especially if it looks like he is siding with cop killers…

JohnGalt23 on March 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

So, a Dem flipped and Abigpile flopped. But, we all know that he’ll be baaaack…

vnvet on March 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Chances of anyone else being vetted, nominated, hearings held, passing a committee vote, and confirmed for this post before the Senate recesses for the election in October? I would say slim to none. And

Huge loss for Obama.

rockmom on March 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

and to think NOLA’s historic Rivergate building was torn down to make room for Harrah’s den of hookers, hustlers and one-armed bandits.

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Oh please they also have a John Besh steakhouse! ;0

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Brian?

Crickets.

slickwillie2001 on March 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Yeah, where’s Brian to call us all Teahadis (gotta wonder where he picked that up, because he sure ain’t smart enough to come up with it on his own)?

CurtZHP on March 5, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Kay Hagan, you are so TOAST!

maryo on March 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM

God, I hope so. She is such a hypocrite. Lives in Irving Park – richest neighborhood in town. Attends 1st Pres in Greensboro, church of rich white people. She is such a snotty phoney. I know, I sat next to her once at an event…

djl130 on March 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

@ShannonBream

Sources tell Fox’s @ChadPergram – Dems thought w/ VPBiden they could put Adegbile over the top – At least 1 Dem Senator flipped last minute

If that were the case, wouldn’t it be 2 flips? 55 Democrats less 5 Cross-overs to get to 50 + Biden?

blammm on March 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Oh please they also have a John Besh steakhouse! ;0

Happy Nomad on March 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM

… And he’s a Marine, no less. Hope the money was worth it.

viking01 on March 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Cornyn didn’t vote NO.

He must have been still in Texas when they voted.

So Democrats need another to flip next time around.

sentinelrules on March 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Issue simply needs to be framed that the so-called “moderate” Democratic incumbent voted FOR Obama’s selection of a PR agitator for a convicted cop killer against the wishes of the slain officer’s widow and children.

Obama vs. Mrs. Faulker, the widow. Your senator chose Obama.

Now it’s your turn to choose.

matthew8787 on March 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Cornyn didn’t vote NO.

He must have been still in Texas when they voted.

So Democrats need another to flip next time around.

sentinelrules on March 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Cornyn must have been hungover from his primary. That’s no excuse though.

blammm on March 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

“They need to flip 2 (not including Reid). No one will though. Only thing worse than voting for the defender of a cop killer is to flip your support to confirm a defender of a cop killer at leadership’s request.”

…in an election year…

contrarian on March 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM

ZeusGoose on March 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I still get something at Townhall every once in awhile that only partially makes it through; causes the screen to go dark (not black, I can still see the site, but the white ad that used to be mid-screen is gone), but if I refresh it all is normal again.

Midas on March 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM

They were thinking that party loyalty will be rewarded with an outside sinecure when voters elect someone else.

Joseph OHenry on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I don’t get it. Lawyers have to defend bad guys all the time. It’s their job. Why is he being punished for it. There must be some part of the story I don’t understand.

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Since the management of Hot Air won’t pay any attention to my complaint about self starting popups, I will cease participating for a while. I know that some of you will be happy about that, maybe some not. It seems that in spite of the fact my popup blocker is at a maximum, the popup on the upper right hand sidebar keeps coming up. It will not mute, It will not turnoff with it’s control. I think is ad sense. It also keeps pushing Adobe flash player. I e-mail hot air and nothing happens. I will check back, every once in a while, but I think Hot Air’s new owners are more concerned with as dollars than the popularity and content of their blog.

Old Country Boy on March 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Dude, change the subject of your complaint to ‘Gay Marriage’ and the HotAir folks will jump on it ASAP.

reddevil on March 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

ZeusGoose on March 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I use Firefox, and Adblock Edge. This is the forked version that doesn’t allow “acceptable ads” like Adblock Plus does now.

Never see an advertisement here. I also never see them on YouTube.

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM

reddevil on March 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Or complain about there not being ENOUGH Chris Christie QOTD’s.

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

The part where Adegbile was supervising the NAACP LDF’s race-baiting PR campaign outside of the courtroom in order to paint Mumia Abu Jamal as a martyr and Daniel Faulkner as an overzealous bigot.

blammm on March 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

And that’s a good thing, because a lot of lawyers hide behind the claim that they were just doing their job, when they’re actually out leading the parade to subvert justice.

Granted, these were Senators instead of regular voters, but that doesn’t change anything. If your constituents are not likely to understand voting for someone who defended a known killer on the basis of race, then your “following the rules” that allows it is irrelevant.

Besides, could it even be argued he was defending the client if he launched a ridiculous claim trying to excuse a homicide as a matter of race that was widely rejected by the entire jury?

Sounds to me like he was promoting the theory of “it’s ok to kill white people” rather than defending his client.

No sympathy from me.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Obama and his entire stable of political dolts are radicals,

rplat on March 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Or complain about there not being ENOUGH Chris Christie QOTD’s.

ConstantineXI on March 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Is there an official name for those people yet? The people who prevent that are they CHRISTIEPHOBES?

reddevil on March 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Just you wait till the Big “O” reads about THIS in the newspaper tomorrow…. Boy, is he gonna be steamed!! Steamed I say!!!11eleventy

Key West Reader on March 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Hmmm…seems like Putin ain’t the only one lately…
thank God we have Harry Reid to watch our backs, eh?

DublOh7 on March 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I don’t get it…There must be some part of the story I don’t understand.

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

If you are truly interested:

There is defending and there is advocating. Adegbile went beyond defending to advocating and cheer leading the cause instead of the defendant.

cozmo on March 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I wonder how long before Danny Faulkner’s widow is audited by the IRS and any other Alphabet agency.

Tinker on March 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Watch the Ted Cruz video above, starting at the 4:00 minute mark. He explains it well.

ncinca on March 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM

This is the best news of the day.

I am furious that Holder has abused the DOJ in order to promote his racialist ideology under the guise of “social justice.”

The Leftists have celebrated the lawless for way too long, creating cult heroes out of blatant murderers such as “Mumia.”

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Old Country Boy on March 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

When I’m reading and blogging, I don’t need Flash Player running.
I use IE. Many others use Firefox and the addons. I prefer IE.

So click on the Gear icon upper right, click on Manage Addons and Disable Shockwave Flash Object. Close the window, refresh the thread and you won’t see Flash ads.

Works for me.

bluefox on March 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM

While good news, NEVER assume this is the last step. The Dems know more ways to circumvent anything than we will ever know.

MN J on March 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Bravo, Sen. Cruz!

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Coons shifted his vote–a couple weeks ago it was a “Yes” on the nomination. I called his office at that time and asked why in the world would Coons support Adegbile. The staffer proclaimed that Coons felt strongly that Adegbile was a great nominee and that critics were ignoring the right for the accused to have legal counsel. I gave all the arguments against him, and the staffer practically yelled at me, talking over my comments.

Today I called again, this time to thank Coons for the “No” vote and asked why he had changed his mind. The staffer said that Coons decided that the unified Law Enforcement opposition was important as the Head of the Civil Rights Division and police needed to work together. Not sure I see the connection there; I’d bet he voted to better his reelection campaign.

mathgal60 on March 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM

blammm on March 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

And once the ads start running on the vulnerable Dems, they might lose by an even bigger margin.

I’d be willing to bet that someone already has the ads ready to go…

PetecminMd on March 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I didn’t think that there was a Democrat in the Senate that had the backbone to defy Dingy Harry. Wonders never cease! Not to worry though, Obama will just write and sign another “Executive Order”. Those that care enough to listen, heard him say “as President I can do whatever I want.”

savage24 on March 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Suck it, Obama!

Ward Cleaver on March 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM

So, a Dem flipped and Abigpile flopped. But, we all know that he’ll be baaaack…

vnvet on March 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I see what you did there. LOL!

PS – Thanks for your service in VN.

Josiah on March 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Civil rights are color blind. Why does the DOJ insist otherwise?

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Obysmal has a pen and a phone…and a crying towel.

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Civil rights are color blind. Why does the DOJ insist otherwise?

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Because the moron Eric Holder says “do you know how that makes my people look?”

slickwillie2001 on March 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

“Lawyers defending bad guys may well be a part of lawyer ethics — not to be confused with normal ethics — but voters are under no obligation to respect that rule. They can vote against people for any reason they choose.

No sympathy from me.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM”

–Time for the Dem Senators to vote against any lawyer who argued against gay marriage or in support of the Arizona law that was vetoed.

jim56 on March 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

rockmom on March 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Excellen points worth repeating.

onlineanalyst on March 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Coons is up for election in 2014.

He’s occupying the Joey Choo-Choo Senate seat, which was filled with an interim appointment from 2009-2010.

He’s been running campaign ads since last fall, at least in downstate Delaware.

ya2daup on March 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM

What on earth is Obama thinking nominating this guy? Scary times.

mike_NC9 on March 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Adegbile came under heavy fire for his voluntary advocacy of convicted and unrepentant cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal, who murdered Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981.

What part of his “job” is “voluntary advocacy”?

The term “voluntary” I think covers the issue, he wasn’t just doing his job… he was going above and beyond his job… to try to free a cop killer.

gekkobear on March 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM

No problem president present has a pen

jaywemm on March 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM

What part of his “job” is “voluntary advocacy”?

gekkobear on March 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Well it’s good to know it wasn’t ‘involuntary advocacy’.

slickwillie2001 on March 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM

tlynch001 on March 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

It’s amazing how many stories have been published that make this lawyer look like someone who was just doing his job. He joined the team long after the conviction to overturn the death sentence this jewel got all the while making him look like a folk hero who was the victim of racial injustice. If you are against the death penalty, they fight for the state to ban it for all, not this clown.

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Especially if it looks like he is siding with cop killers…

JohnGalt23 on March 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Local cop killers, to boot.

talkingpoints on March 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Kay “I’m a Christian” Hagan doesn’t think. She does what Schumer tells her to do.

SouthernGent on March 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Living in the Philly burbs near Delaware, I’d say that’s almost certainly what it’s about. Most of the population of Delaware lives inside the largest circle of the Philadelphia media market.

Frankly, I’m shocked even the local notoriety was enough. Coons is, after all, the self-professed bearded Marxist and Delaware isn’t likely to elect a Republican. I have to say I’m impressed he even made the connection to how it could hurt him.

And no slight is too small to fall beneath the petulant resentment of the Unicorn Prince, so he can’t assume he won’t pay a price for being (as they all were) the deciding vote.

HitNRun on March 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Has Louisiana and North Carolina turned blue overnight? Bonehead move Landrieu and Hagan

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Cornyn didn’t vote NO.
He must have been still in Texas when they voted.
So Democrats need another to flip next time around.
sentinelrules on March 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I’m kind of surprised that Dogpile didn’t get more GOP votes. That have voted for 99 percent of Obama’s nominees, and I am sure Obama was just as confused, thinking to himself, “where’s Cornyn? I thought I could count on him, he has never let me down before”

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 5:59 AM

NPR has an explanation. Too funny.

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Especially if it looks like he is siding with cop killers…
JohnGalt23 on March 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

You do realize that Delaware is a blue state, and it’s previous Senator was Joe Biden?

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

The only thing he knows is that the Tea Party is stupid and you better get your pom poms out for the good ole’ GOP.

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Brock Robamney on March 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

And their previous 9-term representative (at large I might add) was Mike Castle (R), who was polling quite well against Chris Coons in 2010.

I don’t have a problem with the Tea Party running for office. Please just have the qualifications to run for the office that you seek.

blammm on March 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM

blammm on March 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Shouldn’t your comments go to the people of Delaware? It’s not like they didn’t know who Rep. Castle is, don’t they only have one representative?

Cindy Munford on March 6, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I totally understand the need to have lawyers argue both sides, particularly in criminal cases. And, although I disagree with the ACLU on this case, I would not object to Adegbile’s work on the case as a lawyer.

What makes him objectionable is his joining in the rallies that supported the idea that his client, a proven and convicted cop killer, was somehow totally innocent and a person to rally around.

That was not an act of a lawyer. It was the personal view and act of the man himself…and that point of view should disqualify him from the office to which he was nominated.

TKPedersen42 on March 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Let me try. If I thought I might lose my seat, I still want to be on the side of the adminsitration, so I can land a job there, just in case. If I vote no, I’ll be too disloyal to be considered.

It’s quite interesting that more Democrats are feeling free to break ranks. Hope this is a trend that they will prefer to follow commonsense rather than the blind partisanship that has brought us to the brink of appointing these public enemies into official government posts.

virgo on March 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM