Saber-rattling: Russia test-fires ICBM as Crimea standoff continues

posted at 4:01 pm on March 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

The Pentagon was quick to note that the test was pre-planned and that Russia notified the U.S. about it in advance, as they’re required to do under the START treaty. Ahem.

Indeed. Ace’s co-blogger Ben K snarks that it sure would be nice right now to have a missile-defense system in eastern Europe to handle something like this if need be. At the rate Cold War II is expanding, I wonder if we might not end up with one before long. Especially if, per Joshua Foust, allegations like this are borne out.

To get a taste of how tense things are in Crimea, take 80 seconds and watch this showdown between Russian and Ukrainian troops at the Belbek military installation. I wonder what would have happened if reporters weren’t there. A few dead Russian soldiers is all Putin needs as a pretext for a fuller invasion of the peninsula and maybe on into eastern Ukraine.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don’t worry. Obama has Putin’s back.

zerohedge ‏@zerohedge 10m
RUSSIAN MISSLE LAUNCH WAS `ROUTINE,’ WHITE HOUSE SAYS. An ICBM a day…

I can’t see Reagan doing this.

Oil Can on March 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Crimea-nitly.

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Meh…
No direct relation to Ukraine/Crimea – in my view.
I’m in that general kind of industry – missile tests take a long time to plan, set up, and conduct.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Obama might have a complete public breakdown over the hits he’s taking from Putin. He’s being completely humiliated. And as we know humility is something Obama does not posess.

ConstantineXI on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Not as long as Obama occupies the Oval Office. He still believes his own BS that he is the answer to solving a crisis. He don’t need no steenkin’ missiles.

Bitter Clinger on March 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

It looks like Putin is being more flexible.

Electrongod on March 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

What would HotAir do if it wasn’t for this “crisis”? More walking dead posts? Lots of convulsing over Ukraine but I still see no “crisis”. If Ukraine is a “crisis” what does that make Syria? You people do remember Syria don’t you?

jephthah on March 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Looks like START was aptly named.

Murphy9 on March 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

The Norks fired 7 missiles today. Yes, they could.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Power politics rears its ugly head. As a retired LEO, you always jack up whut yer getting by a factor of (pick yer number). I suggest O’ goes all out and shoots Biden’s mouth off on MSNBC…

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

What Russia is doing when I don’t give ion to my 6 year old. She threatens to tear the house down. But I know that I am dealing with a child with little power trying to assert some. The us can overact by taking this crap seriously, or let Russia have its tantrum.

I expect the hawks to come out asking for a return to Cold War 2, but that’s what they always do. So I don’t take them seriously. What Russia needs a a reminder that ICBM don’t buy you respect. If I was Obama I would just ignore him. America needs to keep it eye on what would be a real problem, china . Russia is just white noise.

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

You people do remember Syria don’t you?

jephthah on March 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Wrong question. Does obama remember Syria?

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Ukrainian political crisis
4m
White House calls Russia’s ICBM test launch ‘routine;’ says US had advance notification of test – @Reuters
end of alert

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Caption: “I’m your huckleberry.”

Ward Cleaver on March 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I can see now that Putin is upping the ante to see where this is going and what Bambi will do. If he does nothing just wait for Russia to get more adventurous and the Chinese to start licking their chops. China will want paid on their T-notes they bought, one day. And when that day comes and we can’t pay, watch the missiles start to fly.

And we have three more years of this clown? Dangerous days are ahead, folks.

Deckard BR on March 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

What Russia is doing when I don’t give ion to my 6 year old.

Quit reading after that gem.

Murphy9 on March 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

At a time of heightened tensions, you can the planned ICBM test unless you want to send message. Message received.
=========================================

That message was,

Ukraine got rid of there Nukes,….*Suckers*!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

But you’re not him and he, the Child in Chief, yaps constantly, saying/meaning nothing, just to hear himself talk. Kerry does the same. NO one cares what they say, least of all Putin, the Chinese and Iranians. They watch and plan…because they can.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

You people do remember Syria don’t you?

jephthah on March 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, I remember Syria. Isn’t that the place Putin first cleaned Obama’s clock on the world stage?

307wolverine on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

jephthah on March 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

How many ICBMs aimed at the US does Syria have?

ReaganWasRight on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

In case anyone is wondering where Putin got the idea that Crimea needed to be protected from Ukrainians, let me tell you. Putin first became aware of oppression of ethnic Russians in Crimea . . . during the physical act of love. A profound sense of fatigue… a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily putin was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.

HugoDrax on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

ConstantineXI on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

A round of golf and happy hour, and he’ll be his old self again.

Fenris on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Obama’s response to Russian ICBM test fire:

FORE!!

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Quit reading after that gem.

Murphy9 on March 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Geniuses frequently deploy spelling and grammar errors.

Ward Cleaver on March 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Current status

In January 2014 Russia was estimated to have 489 strategic launchers with about 1700 nuclear warheads. The Strategic Rocket Forces are estimated to have 311 operational missile systems of six types that carry 1078 warheads. The strategic fleet includes 7 strategic missile submarines with SLBMs on board. The operationally deployed 112 SLBMs can carry 416 nuclear warheads. Strategic aviation bomber force consists of 66 bombers that have about 200 weapons assigned to them. In November 2013 the space-based tier of the early warning system included two operational satellites on highly elliptical orbits and one geostationary satellite.

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

That’s a nice video, and makes me dislike politicians even more.

Federati on March 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Ukrainian political crisis
3m
NASA chief says US, Russia space cooperation not affected by Ukraine tensions – @WSJ
read more on stream.wsj.com

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I’m a retired LEO, and we were always trained to up any resistance up to gain control by a factor of (pick yer number). I suggest that O’ go all out and have Biden shoot his mouth off toward the Russkies…

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Obama III: Ivan Drago Wins

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Ignore him? Seriously? Hasn’t that been the crux of Obama’s foreign policy so far? I mean, except for the apology tour.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

A new Cold War? More like a “cold surrender.”

Glenn Jericho on March 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

307wolverine on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

The idiot lib posters I’ve seen at other sites talk about how Syria is actively getting rid of their chemical weapons, and Russia is destroying them, thanks to Dear Liar. Riiiiiight.

Ward Cleaver on March 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

It looks like Putin is being more flexible.

Electrongod on March 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

…are we patting him on the knee?
…the wee-knee?

KOOLAID2 on March 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Let’s hope that white noise doesn’t turn into a white ball from a nuclear warhead. The U.S. is the last vestige of freedom in this world. With us out of the way, they can have it all to themselves. Putin plays hardball. He’s a KGB agent. He thinks like it’s the 1980′s. Our weak Muslim president who dithers at every turn is going to get us all burned.

Deckard BR on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Meh…
No direct relation to Ukraine/Crimea – in my view.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

This.
My hubs has been in this “biz” for 30+ years, first in the military and now in civilian life.
His comment today was “Move along, nothing to see here.”

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Ukraine got rid of there Nukes,….*Suckers*!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Larry O’Connor @LarryOConnor

2005: Lugar and Obama Urge Ukraine to Destroy Their Conventional Weapons – http://www.fas.org/asmp/campaigns/MANPADS/2005/LugarObama.htm
7:14 AM – 4 Mar 2014

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

yaps yups constantly

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Meh…
No direct relation to Ukraine/Crimea – in my view.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

This.
His comment today was “Move along, nothing to see here.”

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Even so, the decision to proceed with a previously planned test given currently heightened tensions is potentially significant.

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Meh…
No direct relation to Ukraine/Crimea – in my view.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

So Putin couldn’t have planned this even a week ago? Obviously there must be some way to test fire a missile pretty quickly other wise what good would they be for defense. Meaning.. if the only way you could ever fire one was to plan months ahead of time then what good are they.

JellyToast on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Meh…
No direct relation to Ukraine/Crimea – in my view.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

This.
His comment today was “Move along, nothing to see here.”

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Would it have taken much effort to delay the test-firing?
Although I doubt that they would have — it seems to have helped underscore the threat that Russia poses to those bordering her.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Apropos of nothing, I’m glad that you aren’t my mother/father.

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

In non-saber rattling news:

YIA NAPA, Cyprus — With the country in turmoil, Ukraine’s national football team says it is a symbol of the country’s unity.

The Ukrainians are scheduled to face the United States in a friendly on Wednesday in Cyprus, a match moved from Kharkiv to Larnaca for security reasons

Despite threats to cancel the match, Ukraine football association president Anatoliy Konkov said Tuesday the game would go ahead.

(We) reached a consensus to play the USA after all,” Konkov said in a statement that also praised the American team. “(They) stood behind us to protect the national interests and territorial integrity of Ukraine.”

kcewa on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

His comment today was “Move along, nothing to see here.”

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Ya. Guess what? We have tests of our own coming up.
You only cancel a planned test like that if you are the one who’s afraid of the message it sends.
In this case, since Russia is the country that started all this fuss, they certaintly aren’t afraid of the message a missile test sends – and therefore would have no reason to cancel it at a cost of millions of rubles wasted.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Missile in question:
====================

RS-12M Topol missile

The RT-2PM Topol (Russian: РТ-2ПМ Тополь (“Poplar”); NATO reporting name SS-25 Sickle; GRAU designation: 15Ж58 (“15Zh58″); other designations: RS-12M Topol)[3] is a mobile intercontinental ballistic missile designed in the Soviet Union and in service with Russia’s Strategic Rocket Forces.

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM

WHO created the heightened tensions?

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Great minds, and all that. :)

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

America needs to put an immediate stop to other countries acting like they aren’t our colonies

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Would it have taken much effort to delay the test-firing?

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yes it would.
And since Russia is the country sending messages right now, why would they?

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Well sure. Apparently he doesn’t give a damn.

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

How many ICBMs aimed at the US does Syria have?

ReaganWasRight on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark!

dominigan on March 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Ya. Guess what? We have tests of our own coming up.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I think we’re getting at the same point here. Still, considering that we’ve learned that it may be a mobile missile, doesn’t that infer a shorter period of time to arrange a launch? (An instrumented test, maybe not so much.)

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

How many ICBMs aimed at the US does Syria have?

ReaganWasRight on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark!

dominigan on March 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

All of Russia’s

kcewa on March 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Larry O’Connor @LarryOConnor

7:14 AM – 4 Mar 2014

steebo77 on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

steebo77:Wow,….

and,…it looks like Obama might have some blood on his hands!!:)

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

and,…it looks like Obama might have some blood on his hands!!:)

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Never! The Messiah can never be wrong!

I guess Affirmative Action stops at the US border.

Oil Can on March 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Ya. Guess what? We have tests of our own coming up.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yessir I live with that every day. ;-)

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Saber-rattling: Russia test-fires ICBM as Crimea standoff continues

While Barky has been busy unilaterally – tyrannically – dismantling our strategic nuclear defense. To be fair, the Indonesian Dog-Eating Retard has also been blabbing to the rest of the world the secrets of the nuclear defenses of our traditional allies (Barky’s sworn enemies), too.

At what point do the cowards admit that it is TREASON??

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

JellyToast on March 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

No. There’s a big difference between testing and operational firing. For testing, you typically pull an operational missile from inventory, (or build a missile purely intended for test only) and take out the real warhead and replace it with a dummy warhead. Also, many other systems for tracking, telemetry and such deployed to gather data for the test – and timing is set for particular alignments of satellites, and much much more.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

@alien. Yeah ignore his tantrum. That doesn’t mean not keep an eye on him, just don’t have a press conference every time he does something. Hawks would love nothing tan for Obama to bomb Iran on Monday, Russia on Tuesday and rest on Wednesday to plan who is next. China has an eye on the south sea. Iran wants to keep Saudi Arabia and Israel off its back. Russia wants to keep their naval base in Crimea. Since America is not an octopus and can’t have its hand in everything, I say choose your battles wisely.

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

By “ours” did you mean America or China?

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

See my 4:34 post.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Residents of South Ossetia Crimea unavailable for comment…

nextgen_repub on March 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Yessir I live with that every day. ;-)

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Yup. I get from your posts you understand it.
Many others really don’t know much about this business.
It doesn’t help matters that Hollywood always gets it COMPLETELY wrong – can’t even make a movie without violating the laws of physics.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

How many ICBMs aimed at the US does Syria have?

ReaganWasRight on March 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

ReaganWasRight: The North Koreans gave Assad a bunch of them!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

jephthah on March 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Um, hello? This crisis is a direct result of Obama bending over in Syria.

The fact that you regard Putin as equivalent to a six year old child having a tantrum, instead of the dangerous and predatory thug that he is a badly flawed point of view. Not to mention that your analogy is flawed – if throwing a “tantrum” gets you to give the child whatever it wants, then the child has been taught that tantrums work and will throw more in the future.

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

ICBMs do in fact buy fear and respect. I agree that China is a bigger threat, but if Obama fails to react and just lets Putin devour Ukraine, China is going to take this as a “green light” to attack Japan for the Senkaku Islands and the Philippines for control of the Spratly Islands.

At some point, the US is going to have to either demonstrate its security guarantees mean something, or it will have to withdraw from the world stage and accept the loss of its superpower status, something which will devastate our economy. And the price of demonstrating our security guarantees will increase each time we bend over to appease some foreign tyrant.

Doomberg on March 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Maybe Putin can do it Hitler style.

The Excuse

After having gained both Austria and Czechoslovakia, Hitler was confident that he could again move east, this time acquiring Poland without having to fight Britain or France. (To eliminate the possibility of the Soviet Union fighting if Poland were attacked, Hitler made a pact with the Soviet Union – the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact.)

So that Germany did not officially seem the aggressor (which it was), Hitler needed an excuse for attacking Poland. It was Heinrich Himmler who came up with the idea; thus the plan was code-named Operation Himmler.

On the night of August 31, 1939, Nazis took an unknown prisoner from one of their concentration camps, dressed him in a Polish uniform, took him to the town of Gleiwitz (on the border of Poland and Germany), and then shot him. The staged scene with the dead prisoner dressed in a Polish uniform was supposed to appear as a Polish attack against a German radio station.

Hitler used this staged attack as the excuse to invade Poland.

NotCoach on March 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

See my 4:34 post.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

“An instrumented test, maybe not so much.”

I think that we agree — they intend to send or reinforce a message.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Just read that the ICBM launch was planned months ago with full knowledge of the pentagon per our treaty with Russia. Lesson I learn, is the media is always selling fear. My job is to do my research before I buy.

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Doomberg on March 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I’m personally more concerned about the NorKs seeing this as a good opportunity to do something – while Putin already has 0bumble looking weak to the rest of the world.
China perhaps. But the NorKs are the real psychos who are more likely to start shooting.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

@alien. Yeah ignore his tantrum. …

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Putin would be throwing a “tantrum” only if he wasn’t getting his way.

He seems to be getting everything that he wants, doesn’t he?

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM

ReaganWasRight: The North Koreans gave Assad a bunch of them!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

They may have given them missiles, but they were not ICBMs. Heck, I don’t even think the NorKs have any true ICBMs. Of course, I’ve been wrong before.

ReaganWasRight on March 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Ward Cleaver on March 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I just wish that if they insist on pleasuring Obama that they kindly get a room.

307wolverine on March 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

“An instrumented test, maybe not so much.”
I think that we agree — they intend to send or reinforce a message.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

A test launch is always instrumented – otherwise you’re just wasting a (fairly expensive) missile.
All I’m saying is that this missile launch was not intended to send a message specifically for and in the middle of the Ukraine “crisis” – but there’s no reason for Putin to cancel or postpone the test under the circumstances.
Planning for this test started a long time ago – long before all the Ukraine protests started.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM

jephthah on March 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

You do remember that this is not even vaguely what any of us said about Syria don’t you? The beef with Syria was that obama whipped up that country into a rebellion frenzy while he was still convincing himself and the rest of the world Egypt and Libya were some smart freaking ideas. Oh right, until his favored Muslim Brotherhood turned out to be worse tyrants than Hosni Mubarak and we sent an ambassador to an unstable country to be murdered.

Then, then it gets better. He decided he needed a new war. This time though, lets arm factions of Al Qaeda and make BS redline threats about something evidence proves both sides were doing as an excuse to unilaterally attack the Syrian Army. Then, then when the redline is crossed, let’s have our SecState ask a question he isn’t prepared to have answered by Syria and have the whole freaking world laugh in our face because of the inadvertent resolution and blank check he gives the Syrian Dictator. All the while America is thinking, “Hmmm, Syrian Dictator or Jihadi rebels vowing to kill Americans next, as they execute nearly every prisoner that ends up in their captivity.”

That Syria?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Yes – just what I’ve been trying to say this whole thread.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

That was the first line of the article heading the comments. You could have saved yourself a lot of time participating in the conversation if you had read it.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

OMGZ, is he not aware of the carbon footprint those things have?

Midas on March 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM

My job is to do my research before I buy.

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

My job is to do my research before I buy.

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

But not… *all* of your research, I guess?

Midas on March 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM

This.
His comment today was “Move along, nothing to see BOOM!!!!

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

FIFY

Wasn’t there a Union General during the Civil War that sat up on a trench and said, “They couldn’t hit a barn door from th…… (As a bullet killed him.)

Deano1952 on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

OMGZ, is he not aware of the carbon footprint those things have?

Midas on March 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM

As much as he is concerned about the footprints he leaves on the backs of the Ukrainians, I’d say.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Putin would be throwing a “tantrum” only if he wasn’t getting his way.
He seems to be getting everything that he wants, doesn’t he?

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM

You got that right.
If people want to use a parent-kid analogy for this, I’d describe it more as a teenager (Putin) who wants to do what he wants, and he knows dad (0bumble) is a wuss who just talks and powerless to stop him – so teenager proceeds to do what he wants and essentially dares dad to do something. And as is typical, the wussy dad responds with a “I’ve told you to behave, and I’m only going to tell you one more time, and then, well then I’m really gonna mean it….” And the teenager blows him off – and flips him off – and dad runs off to the golf course and cries to his buddies and drowns his weakness in high-priced scotch – paid for by his buddies.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Midas on March 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM

LOL. Thanks Midas!!

Deano1952 on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Ward Cleaver on March 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Syria also submitted a revised plan to remove all chemicals from its territory by the end of April 2014, the OPCW said.

Damascus missed deadlines in December and February to hand over chemicals, and diplomats are concerned it will also miss a final, politically significant deadline of mid-2014 to completely give up its chemical stockpile.

kcewa on March 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

By “ours” did you mean America or China?

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

China of course. Dude’s completely gone. He’ll pick up a weapon for them I guarantee you.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Deano1952 on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Union Army General John Sedgwick

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Deano1952 on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Thanks WIKI.

Sedgwick fell at the beginning of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, on May 9, 1864. His corps was probing skirmish lines ahead of the left flank of Confederate defenses and he was directing artillery placements. Confederate sharpshooters were about 1,000 yards (900 m) away and their shots caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover. Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying, “What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line?” Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he repeated, “I’m ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.”[4] Just seconds later[5] he fell forward with a bullet hole below his left eye.[6]

Deano1952 on March 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Why is firing this ICBM news? Again selling fear. America test fires all kind of weapons to test, but that doesn’t make news. Why is Russia doing tests of their weapon somehow something that needs discussion? Especially something that was planned. Would someone explain?

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

The costs are high. Not just in money but in appearance also. After all, this is Putin we are talking about. Not some candy ass who cares what the world thinks. He would think that canceling that launch would make him appear weak and/or submissive. And after the manhandling he’s been giving Barry he’s not going to back down easily.

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM

And Stonewall Jackson’s own sentry shot him, which led to the infection that killed him. He instructed his sentries to shoot if an unidentified person approached camp. Then he went out and tested them.

They passed. And so did Stonewall.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Why is firing this ICBM news? … Would someone explain?

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

First you don’t read the article, then you wonder why it’s news?

Where have you been during this discussion?

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Dude, I am liking this liberal troll damage control operation today.

Way to represent!

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM

It would depend on the situation

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

They passed. And so did Stonewall.

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM

LOL!

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

By “buddies,” you mean “taxpayers?” :)

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM

“Was the ICBM missile Gay?”

-Precedent O’bama

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM

It would depend on the situation

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I do apologize.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

It looks like Putin is being more flexible.
Electrongod on March 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Putin likes flexible…. In his women and in the weak whiny leaders he goes all Deliverance on.

EssieLou on March 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

coolrepublica on March 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

If you can blow off a huge country like Ukraine, what’s a few rocky islands in the Sea of Japan?

slickwillie2001 on March 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I do apologize.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

For what?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I do apologize.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

For what?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I mean, I apologize because I was kidding. I thought you followed some Eastern Discipline that forbad you doing harm to people. Good thing no one ever attack the US in your lifetime to where you might have been compelled to take up arms for your native country.

Defending America is for suckahs!

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM