Saber-rattling: Russia test-fires ICBM as Crimea standoff continues

posted at 4:01 pm on March 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

The Pentagon was quick to note that the test was pre-planned and that Russia notified the U.S. about it in advance, as they’re required to do under the START treaty. Ahem.

Indeed. Ace’s co-blogger Ben K snarks that it sure would be nice right now to have a missile-defense system in eastern Europe to handle something like this if need be. At the rate Cold War II is expanding, I wonder if we might not end up with one before long. Especially if, per Joshua Foust, allegations like this are borne out.

To get a taste of how tense things are in Crimea, take 80 seconds and watch this showdown between Russian and Ukrainian troops at the Belbek military installation. I wonder what would have happened if reporters weren’t there. A few dead Russian soldiers is all Putin needs as a pretext for a fuller invasion of the peninsula and maybe on into eastern Ukraine.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

attacked the …

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

By “buddies,” you mean “taxpayers?” :)

Alien on March 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Yes – WRT paying for his round of golf and drinks.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I mean, I apologize because I was kidding. I thought you followed some Eastern Discipline that forbad you doing harm to people. Good thing no one ever attack the US in your lifetime to where you might have been compelled to take up arms for your native country.

Defending America is for suckahs!

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I thought you also follow some Eastern Discipline that forbids you from doing harm to people?

I apologize for not following your train of thought very well

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I ponder.

I wonder if it was the Rooskies, who fired off
that SLBM, off the California coast, back in
November 2010!!!!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I apologize for not following your train of thought very well

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

My religious discipline doesn’t forbid me from taking up arms to protect the ones I love and my people. I’m sorry it’s confusing.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I wonder if it was the Rooskies, who fired off
that SLBM, off the California coast, back in
November 2010!!!!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Sarc?

For the record – that media explosion (that I remember) was proven to be an airplane contrail.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM

No one suggested it did. Are you disoriented?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 5:34 PM

If you watch the entire video, and several others like it, you can see that it’s an aiplane coming over the horizon.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Do you forget what you write? I’m sorry if the poor environment there is affecting your memory.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM

DC, I do appreciate you taking the time to even address my comments what with your new responsibilities and all.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Lolz!

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I figure with you taking all this time out of your busy schedule I should reciprocate.

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 5:34 PM

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM

dentarthurdent:

I like this version:)
=======================

Experts: Mystery contrail was from Chinese missile

‘Muted response’ was decision ‘made by the president himself’
Published: 11/19/2010 at 8:00 PM
********************************

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I’m sure you’re much busier with your responsibilities. Again, that you would lay down that kind of time for one of your countrymen is awesome. Additionally, I know it can be a conflict of interested these days to boot.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM

lol interest …

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM

If you want to believe a “whistleblower” or conspiracy theorist web site writing about anonymous remarks from people – go ahead – that’s your business.
But I’ve been involved with NORAD and related military organizations for 30 years in the space and missile business – starting when I was a space systems analyst in the AF in NORAD in the early 80s, and I can tell you that was an airplane contrail – and the missile story was debunked by multiple people and organizations.
But you believe whatever you want.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Are you back on the opium?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Are you back on the opium?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

DarkCurrent: Sounds like your WishCasting!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Are you back on the opium?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Is that what passes for polite conversation in your country?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Hudson: Let’s just bug out and call it even, man! What are we even talking about this for?

Ripley: …I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

tanked59 on March 4, 2014 at 6:13 PM

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Oh boy…starting to wonder if you and Mr Jomama are acquainted. :-)

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM

No. There’s a big difference between testing and operational firing. For testing, you typically pull an operational missile from inventory, (or build a missile purely intended for test only) and take out the real warhead and replace it with a dummy warhead. Also, many other systems for tracking, telemetry and such deployed to gather data for the test – and timing is set for particular alignments of satellites, and much much more.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Why could you not have several missiles ready for testing/operational firing ready and waiting for the time you wanted to send a message.

I would think it would be very useful to have some ICBMs always ready for a test fire. Just because we don’t do that in the US… would it really be that difficult for Russia to do?

JellyToast on March 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Is that what passes for polite conversation in your country?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

No, it’s a direct question. Were we having a polite conversation?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

No, it’s a direct question. Were we having a polite conversation?

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Was it a serious direct question? Because after the Alan Grayson thread I’m inspired to ask if you still beat your wife.

Just to keep the light-hearted theme.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Just to keep the light-hearted theme.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Quite serious, since you’re making no sense

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM

JellyToast on March 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

There are multiple different factors involved depending on whether it’s a solid or liquid fueled rocket. But either way, the logistics and cost of even just keeping them in storage are not insignificant.
And Russia has mutiple models of ICBM class missiles – land/silo based, mobile launcher based, and sub based. But either way, the logistics and cost of even just keeping them in storage are not insignificant. And it doesn’t send much of a message if it blows up on the pad or during liftoff, or goes completely off course.
But for an ICBM type missile, you’re not talking about a cheap hunk of machinery. Russia hasn’t exactly been so rich with extra money available to waste a bunch on non-operational missiles that will just be stored until you want to “send a message”.

But bottom line – they do these missile tests on a regular basis – as we do also.
And it’s already been stated that they notified us months ago of this one – in accordance with START.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Oh boy…starting to wonder if you and Mr Jomama are acquainted. :-)

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Quite possible if he’s been in this business for a long time – and depending on where.
If he’s ever spent time in Colorado Springs over the last 30 years, we may have met.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Missile defense? Forget it. That falls somewhere between embracing realistic energy production and the Iraq War in terms of Articles of Liberal Faith.

And as much as liberals rail against Obama not being “aggressive” enough – ha! – they can’t find a decision where he did not take the leftmost available path, because he’s never done it (aside from dronefare and Guantanamo, of course).

HitNRun on March 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM

At a time of heightened tensions, you can the planned ICBM test unless you want to send message. Message received.

Exactly my thought when the Pentagon tried to pass this off as a routine and well publicized test.

Funny our dear leader didn’t mention that from his lecture in a pre-school classroom today with the podium set atop an alphabet rug.

Happy Nomad on March 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Quite serious, since you’re making no sense

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Well, I’m not sure it ever will then.

Being the Hot Air Manchurian Propaganda Secretary, are you sure the constant rationalization for your new best brahs hasn’t just started to cloud reality for you a tad?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Well, I’m not sure it ever will then.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM

You seem to be upset by something intangible.

I’m here for you bro

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Oh boy…starting to wonder if you and Mr Jomama are acquainted. :-)

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM

We were stationed in the Springs x2. Also x2 in North Dakota and x2 in California, x2 Nebraska, among other places…that should tell you what his career was. He’s been retired for almost 8 years but his civilian job requires him to go to the Springs frequently. I get to tag along since kids are gone. We still have many friends there.

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM

You seem to be upset by something intangible.

I’m here for you bro

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM

heh, Says the guy who can’t stand his own country. Little projection, huh?

Look, I’m not clinically trained but I’ve had a significant primer in psychology as an instructor. I was going to watch a movie with the family, but I can stay longer if you need me.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You should probably consult with the clinically trained ASAP. In the meantime a little quiet time might do you so good. Enjoy

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Oh Dear, obviously you’re not ready to face those nagging little issues. Next time, huh?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Didn’t you have a movie you wanted to watch with the family? Don’t let me keep you.

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Quite right. And you have some American values to bash and some Chinese values to promote, no? We should probably go?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Don’t lose your goddam jesusnut. See a therapist.

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Don’t lose your goddam jesusnut. See a therapist.

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Two words. Nerve Tonic.

If you can’t take a little of what you try to dish out without losing your temper, maybe it’s time to take a little break from on-line commenting. It is refreshing to see the enlightened side our your Eastern Discipline on display.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I agree. You obviously need a break.

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM

They’re more than likely already on ice.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I agree. You obviously need a break.

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM

That’s probably right. Your problems are a bit more than one old friend can cope with. Let me go see if anyone else is here who has time to talk with you a while.

At least until you can calm yourself down.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

At least until you can calm yourself down.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

If you’d like to fight about some difference of opinion related to China take it up in the next China-related thread you see me in posting something you disagree with.

If you’d like to spar over religion, take it up in the next religion-related thread you see me posting in.

In the meantime I hope you get some professional help

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

hawk, enjoy the movie. He just likes ass. Trust me on this hawk, he thinks about my ass more than I ever have. ; )

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

In the meantime I hope you get some professional help

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Yep, because no one likes off commit remarks made just to jab people.

America needs to put an immediate stop to other countries acting like they aren’t our colonies

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

But really? We were fighting? I didn’t realize it had gotten this serious. Nothing is worth seeing you fly off the handle like this. So … please, stop flying off the handle like this.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM

off comment …

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

No, no. He’s an old friend. Very understanding to other’s beliefs and other points of view. We’re good here.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM

; ) Regardless. He still fancies my ass. Have fun!

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

New one. Still tweaking it a wee bit. ; )

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Jomama on March 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Well, I’ve been in Colorado Springs since 1979 – USAFA (resident/inmate) for 4 years, Cheyenne Mtn (NORAD/AFSPACE/USSPACE) 4 YEARS, contractor working various job and companies at Peterson, Cheyenne Mtn, USAFA and Schriever since 1987.
If WE haven’t met directly, I’m sure we have mutual acquaintances.
(and no, my real name is not Arthur Dent)

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I doubt that this was a planned launch. Did you notice that whenever Putin wants to make a point, it is always from the Caucusus? He arranges the Olympics at Sochi, a war torn area, to warn the Chechyen loyalists this could be you, Does the missile launches to say to the Ukraine, here are the missiles you surrendered, say bye bye, and also it is a warning to the west, don’t forget, we are not afraid to use them. This guy is waiving at Obozo with his middle finger

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I doubt that this was a planned launch.
Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Doubt whatever you want – but we were notified about it months ago – which pretty well indicates it was planned long ago.

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM

So we’re to believe President Pinnochio?

Do you have a link?

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Is it true that the range of the “test fire” was the distance to Kiev’s city center? Stupid rumors you see on the net…

Murphy9 on March 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

So we’re to believe President Pinnochio?
Do you have a link?

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Has nothing to do with whether I believe 0bumble.
The military (primarily) via the State Dept gets advanced notice of Russian missile launches per the START Treaty.

No I don’t have a link for this particular launch – not something that is directly published for widespread news.
However, there is also a process for all space/missile launches to notify ships and aircraft of keep out and caution zones worldwide – like for missile parts falling out of the sky. It’s called a NOTAM.

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Murphy9 on March 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Distance from WHERE to Kiev? This was a mobile launcher based ICBM class missile. It could hit anywhere in Ukraine from anywhere in Russia.

The missile was launched from Kapustin Yar, which has been one of Russia’s major missile and space launch sites for many decades – and went to Sary Shagan, which has been one of Russia’s primary missile impact/target zones for many decades.

The defence official provided no details of the missile’s advanced features, saying only that it was launched from Russia’s Kapustin Yar rocket launch site near the southern city of Volgograd.

The missile successfully hit its target in the Sary Shagan ballistic missile test range that Russia leases in Kazakhstan.

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM

So the answer is no. So we should really believe Obama would never lie based on the fact he has been totally honest with us? Here are some gems:

“If you like your plan, you can keep your plan”
“No one is targeting the tea party”
“You will save $2500 on your health plan”
“There are no death panels”
“Benghazi was a result of a YouTube video”

And you accept everything Obama says on face value? And I suppose next you are going to tell me you are severely conservative and we should believe the administration of pathological liars

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

You appear to have a severe problem with reading comprehension.
Go back and try again.