Obama mocks Republicans: When I try to “fix” ObamaCare, they call me a tyrant

posted at 11:21 am on March 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via CNS, a perfect complement to this morning’s news of the umpteenth ass-covering ad hoc executive rule change to his pet boondoggle. (This little stand-up routine at DNC HQ was recorded on Friday evening, about an hour after he delivered his somber “there will be costs” statement on Ukraine.) Here’s the result of three years of education at Harvard Law plus several years spent lecturing students as a law prof at the University of Chicago: As long as the president’s trying to “fix things” — and “things” very much includes his party’s prospects in the next election — it’s absurd to hassle him over separation of powers. Which, I’m embarrassed to say, isn’t the first time he’s used that rationale. Remember?

[W]here Congress is unwilling to act, I will take whatever administrative steps that I can in order to do right by the American people.

And if Congress thinks that what I’ve done is inappropriate or wrong in some fashion, they’re free to make that case. But there’s not an action that I take that you don’t have some folks in Congress who say that I’m usurping my authority. Some of those folks think I usurp my authority by having the gall to win the presidency. And I don’t think that’s a secret. But ultimately, I’m not concerned about their opinions — very few of them, by the way, are lawyers, much less constitutional lawyers.

I am concerned about the folks who I spoke to today who are working really hard, are trying to figure out how they can send their kids to college, are trying to make sure that they can save for their retirement. And if I can take steps on their behalf, then I’m going to do so. And I would hope that more and more of Congress will say, you know what, since that’s our primary focus, we’re willing to work with you to advance those ideals. But I’m not just going to sit back if the only message from some of these folks is no on everything, and sit around and twiddle my thumbs for the next 1,200 days.

That’s the Obama rule on executive power grabs. If Congress won’t do what he wants and if he can semi-credibly defend his actions as “fixing something” or “doing right by the American people” (or the Libyan people, when it comes to intervening abroad without congressional authorization), he’s entitled to act. The chief limit on this rule is political, not legal: He’s held off on expanding his DREAM amnesty to the entire illegal population, ostensibly because he lacks authority but in reality because he’s nervous how it’ll play for Democrats in the midterms if he does it. If/when his political calculus changes, his calculus about his authority will too. It takes the fine mind of a constitutional lawyer, honed by decades of study, to find this much nuance in the constitutional limits on his own power. Can’t wait for Jonathan Turley’s next appearance before the House.

Exit question via my pal Karl: Remember when Obama denounced Bush’s executive signing statements as “a license to evade laws that the president does not like or as an end-run around provisions designed to foster accountability”? Since when is a president’s attempt to “fix things” objectionable?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Obama…the poor man’s Putin.

Oil Can on March 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

The ovaries on this ******.

Murphy9 on March 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM

But IT’S THE LAW.

Lol!

Good Lt on March 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Silly people, laws are for evil Rethuglicans!!!11!1

/Leftist

Wanderlust on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

See, here’s the perfect encapsulation of the problem: he has no effing clue how our form of government works. Can he really be this thick?

If the law is broken the legislature fixes it you dummie, not the executive.

MTF on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

There’s only one fix for insufficient tyranny — and that’s more of it, a$$wipe …

ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Heh … the “R” word?

ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Tantrum.

Wanderlust on March 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Imperial hubris.

wolly4321 on March 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

He is a Tyrant and a Traitor by his illegal executive acts and his public repudiation of his Oath of Office.

ConstantineXI on March 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Racists!

Fenris on March 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Petulant

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

RAAAAACISM!!!!!!

ConstantineXI on March 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I will not say the first thing I thought of because:

1) It’s not very christian-like

2) It’s not very lady-like

3) It’s ban hammer worthy

Flora Duh on March 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Hopey is in a NeverEnding Movie,…..and hes the Star!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

0 is a mess. A bigger mess than the java issues here at HA. Will it get fixed?

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Fix? Yeah if he means fix it for his cronies. I can do whatever I want…

major dad on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

The Democrats are really going to rue the day they put this clown at the top of the ticket, when a GOP president decides to “fix” the tax code on his own. For the children and the middle class. And eliminate about five departments of government. And outlaw public employee unions. All to “fix things”.

MTF on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

What a dipwad!

ConservativePartyNow on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

0 is a mess. A bigger mess than the java issues here at HA. Will it get fixed?

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Java is to javascript as con is to conscript.

Fenris on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Constitutional scholar!

Can you imagine listening to this man try to give a lecture on the constitution? There has to be a recording somewhere.

jhffmn on March 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Its a Perpetual In Your Face, GOP Hate Speech, Speechy!!

Seriously,..thats all Obama is, a Attack Dog for the DNC,
and the MSM echoes it for days!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

When does Obama start referring to ObamaCare as a “Mess I inherited”?

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

The welfare queens agitator attacks and mocks the Republicans as his only enemies foreign and domestic in order to defend his utterly failed Presidency… He certainly did not have any passion going after Putin and our other real enemies…

mnjg on March 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

As long as he has enough approval from the public, he can do whatever he wants. That is the way of our republic.

Yes, it is a sad fact that the majority of the people in this nation are ignorant wrt our Constitution. But it is a fact that far few Americans would look on impeachment with anything but resentment as to make it an impossibility.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If he’s so detached from reality that he can’t even realize that what he is doing to “fix” ObamaGlitch totally violates what is spelled out in the Constitution as how the Government operates, he should be REMOVED from office immediately.

I get a cold chill up my spine when I think that this man, who is OBVIOUSLY completely CLUELESS has control of the nuclear button.

Be afraid folks, be VERY afraid.

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

It’s not a “fix” if it ain’t permanent. Let’s permanently remove the small business mandate, the individual mandate, the “your plan’s not good enough” mandate, and then see what happens.

Mohonri on March 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

King.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Obama lies yet again. The steps he takes is to serve one purpose, and that is to keep Dems in power.

sadatoni on March 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

It makes perfect sense that Allahpundit is gleefully promoting, celebrating and “cheering on” Obama’s “dick dance” at the GOP…..

RATHER tham putting up a post that talks about how Sarah Palin CORRECTLY PREDICTED the Ukraine Crises in 2008, and was Mocked by Obama amd The Mainstream Media for it…..

…after all…..it’s Juuuuust the kind of “dance” that he likes!

williamg on March 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

PBHO knows full well that what he is doing is patently contrary to the Constitution. He holds the high cards though and so he doesn’t care.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

very few of them, by the way, are lawyers, much less constitutional lawyers.

And NONE of them speak Austrian.

Anytime Dog Eater wants to debate the Constitution with Mark Levin, I believe there is an open invitation.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I think the smartest president ever meant that “some folks” say he has usurped the authority of Congress. One doesn’t usurp his own authority.

AcidReflux on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

BTW

Imagine what he thinks of the people he’s talking to.

He knows they are idiots, and he’s telling them to their face what he thinks of them.

Law degrees are held by 169 Members of the House (38% of the House) and 57 Senators (57% of the Senate)

“Very few”?

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

President Obama 2015 budget proposal
1m
President Obama sends Congress $3.9 trillion election-year budget focused on economy, job creation – @AP
end of alert

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Be afraid folks, be VERY afraid.

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I hope that they gave him a fake “football” for the nuclear launch code… This man is the worst insult in our nation history…

mnjg on March 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Par for the course from the thin-skinned, petulant, narcissistic, arrogant, hypocritical, feckless sociopath who occupies the White House. If it weren’t for his double standards, he’d have no standards at all.

Athos on March 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

P O S !

KOOLAID2 on March 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Lurch is droning on and on. I had to turn the sound off.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

King.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

That’s the name of the dog he ate.

Here King. Here King. Good boy.

portlandon on March 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

He makes me sick.

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

So if he admits ObamaCare does not work, why has been saying all along how wonderful it works?

albill on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Holy crap. He was saying that “very few in Congress are lawyers” remark to the big boys. From the link:

Obama opened his remarks at the Democratic National Committee’s winter meeting

Imagine what he thinks of the lostmotherlands and verbaluces?

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

What an utter embarrassment Obama is.

KMC1 on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

he never was a constitutional lawyer.
he was a lecturer and worked at a law firm where he did nothing and wrote (supposedly) a book saying he was born in kenya.
but yeah, racism or whatever.
f* him.

dmacleo on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

“. . .I usurp my authority. . .”

That doesn’t even make sense. I invite his defenders to remind us again about his speaking ability.

Bif Malibu on March 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

What has this a-hole “fixed” with his unconstitutional decrees?

All he’s done is delay the implementation of all those “best ideas” enshrined in Obamacare, because he doesn’t want LIV’s to find out before the next election how much more they’re going to be stuck paying for their crappier health care thanks to Obamacare.

How do these delays equate to fixes? They may succeed in fixing some elections in favor of O-care voting Dim politicians, but they sure as hell aren’t “fixing” any of the problems in Obamacare. They’re just kicking the can down the road, past the next election.

AZCoyote on March 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Yes, Barack, it is tyrannical to change laws on a whim, with the wave of your hand…a constitutional scholar ought to know that. And you’re not “fixing” the law, either, with these changes…you’re simply delaying parts of it as you please for political reasons, nothing more.

changer1701 on March 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

So, we get down to it again.

Obamism is doing whatever he wants to do, because he KNOWS the pathetic GOP doesn’t have the sack to do anything about it.

Well, in my book, the sackless GOP is just as much to blame in all this as Obamism is. It is their RESPONSIBILITY to use the Constitutional tools set out for this type of situation, to stop it.

If they refuse to do anything, and sit idly by and allow Obamism to get away with it, they are no better than he is.

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM

You’re not fixing anything a**hole. You took a ticking time bomb that was about to explode and added a little more time to the countdown.

Wigglesworth on March 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM

f* him.

dmacleo on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

And screw the USA…

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

AZCoyote on March 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Because it is not the law that he is trying to fix. It is the midterm elections.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

King.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Queen.

VegasRick on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

So, in other words, right after he declared happy hour at the DNC.

There clearly is a message coming out of the West Wing. Obama’s comments are right in line with Dana Milbank’s column today calling opposition to the rat-eared bastard as being inconsistent because he has been called a tyrant and weak and feckless in the course of the last two weeks. Of course, when it comes to domestic power grabs he is a tyrant but he is worse than a feckless coward when it comes to situations like Ukraine. These are not mutually exclusive truths. Not that anybody looks to Dana Milbank for truth or honesty.

Happy Nomad on March 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I do not want to hear about “standing”!! If any POYUS can rewrite law duly enacted and signed to meet his personal and political needs then Article I, Congress shall make the laws, is rendered null and void. If that does not give the leadership of the house of representatives standing to challenge these actions in federal court, then we are living in Venezuela. (Off topic, I heard more about the trouble in Venezuela the other day from Ron Darling, Keith Hernandez, and Gary Cohen as they discussed the Mets batting coach being a manager in the Venezuelan Winter League this past January than I’ve heard on the MSM in a month.)

xkaydet65 on March 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Egomaniac. Sadly his base eats it up and mistakes his arrogance for bad-assery. It’d be nice if the leader of the free world were just a TAD more humble eh?

DontDroneMeBro on March 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Why should any Republican propose one single “fix” to a wholly-owned democrat catastrophe?

“Universal coverage” as a government endeavor was always a LIBERAL goal. “Fixes” will only further (incompetent and/or corrupt) government intervention.

Let the Little Red Lyin mock all he wants. It’s just politics as usual for him — fundraising by hatred. No smart Republican will get their dander up over this, it’s too delicious to watch him scurry to constantly deflect, project, and change the subject.

p.s. Is SCOAMF one word?

RushBaby on March 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

He seems very thrown and concerned by all the nipping at his heels.
You can see how the incessant attacks have just worn him down and eroded his confidence.
Maybe Ted Cruz could show a little merciful humanity and ease up…just a little?

verbaluce on March 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

SCA, where were you when we needed you??

Deano1952 on March 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Good grief, Lurch is STILL babbling.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

end of alert

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Obama budget declared DOA. The thing didn’t have a chance at life. This is all about the theater of massive pallets of “budget” documents arriving on the Hill. Like Groundhog Day for wonks.

Happy Nomad on March 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

All the above entries are spot on but I’m gonna go with:

Tantrum.

Wanderlust on March 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Let’s face it, the man baby absolutely cannot stand to be criticized in any way shape or form. Textbook. Narcissist.

Please, God, let our next president come from an intact family with no daddy and mommy issues.

inviolet on March 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Why is this Blog celebrating and promoting this “spiking the ball in the endzone” behavior by Obama – INSTEAD OF:

Making a Post about how Sarah Palin CORRECTLY PREDICTED the Ukraine situation in 2008 – and was MOCKED for it by Obama and The Mainstream Media?

williamg on March 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Fallon on March 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Liar.

davidk on March 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Fluke off, thug.

He thinks he’s ‘cute’, the oaf, who’s chief.

This one is a charlatan of the land too.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Imagine what he thinks of the lostmotherlands and verbaluces?

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

He’ll always have nonpartisan. Obviously classmates.

de rigueur on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Marxism.

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

It is a waste of time to write about obama’s hypocrisy.
obama will win this argument, too, unless some articulate spokesperson on the right, with good media access, pounds him relentlessly on his tyrannical usurpation.
How hard can it be to fashion a succinct and compelling argument about obama joking about his destroying the American constitution?

GaltBlvnAtty on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

obama doesn’t even realize how stupid he looks and sounds.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

The ass hat claims that delaying and canceling sections is improving the law. Then why not fully improve the law by cancelling the whole ball of wax?

Bensonofben on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

obama’s America, from the CiC on down.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

FIX?…he needs to be FIXED!…by a veterinarian!

KOOLAID2 on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

He has the mental maturity of a 2 year old. Oh and what exactly have they fixed/ They’ve delayed a lot for political gain but I haven’t seen one fix yet.

gophergirl on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Because many Republicans in leadership are also Left leaning and like the concept of Obamacare if not the execution of it. They have their “fixes” too if given the opportunity to continue with government intervention their way.

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

SCoAMF.

aquaviva on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I think that he is just daring the GOP to do something about it. He knows that they can’t but that his chances of keeping the Senate can only improve if they try.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Looks like the troll just told us who he’s afraid of.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

King.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Queen.

VegasRick on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Pharaoh.

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Something is seriously wrong with that motherfukker. And something is even more wrong with the idiots that continue to support him and make excuses for him.

HumpBot Salvation on March 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

This president stinks of fear.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

And screw the USA…

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Ah, the standard operating procedure for this WH and far too many in CONgress. Their will be done for themselves and their cronies, not for the general welfare of the Republic.

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

The snake is cornered.

He’s going to announce more obama’care’ delays in the next two days.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Weirdest President Ever. Speaks softly to revanchist thugs, uses his big stick on Republicans.

He’s got a big stick, you know. Biden said so.

de rigueur on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Now that he and his minions have discovered his optimum ‘leadership’ style, I hate to think what the next three years will bring.

Drained Brain on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Hubacrocy (as in rule solely by the hubris of the dictator)

Happy Nomad on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Pissy. Would also accept, Prissy.

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Speaks softly to revanchist thugs, uses his big stick on Republicans and conservatives.

He knows who his true enemies are and it isn’t revanchist thugs.

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Caudillo.

Mr. D on March 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Pharaoh.

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Sultan.

Oil Can on March 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

He’s got a big stick, you know. Biden said so.

de rigueur on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Tiny man and tiny…he’s an eunuch, and the world knows it. He is however a ‘tyrant’ at home, for the sheepleton.

See today’s budget…for the most unserious person on Earth.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Floccinaucinihilipilification

mbteach10 on March 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Goebbels

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Marxism.

Meople on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Fascism

or Il Duce.

Athos on March 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

He seems very thrown and concerned by all the nipping at his heels.
Maybe Ted Cruz could show a little merciful humanity and ease up…just a little?

I’m tempted to steal this for sarc. But the writer apparently meant it as real!

22044 on March 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Oh for Pete’s sake, now Obama is blathering. It wasn’t enough to give horse-face a mike for a half hour.

MJBrutus on March 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Dummkopf

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

We look at these actions and scratch our heads, stare at the screen in disbelief, etc… but the reality is things are much worse than we imagine.

Obama’s executive power grabs are not going unnoticed by other democrats (Hillary, I’m looking at you). Libs can say what they will about GW and his executive actions, but none have been so frequent or so broad in scope as Obama’s. A precedent has been set. The media has given cover for it. The show is over.

Even in fantasy-land, where Republicans re-take the White House in 2016, they simply do not have the spine to ‘play the game’ the way the libs do. For example, can any of you picture Rand Paul or Ted Cruz or using executive orders much the same way Obama did in the event they encounter a recalcitrant congress? Cuz I can’t. Let’s try a thought experiment, since most of us understand that Amnesty = the death of Team Red. Let’s say the first executive action of a new Red Team President is to block all US immigration, legal or otherwise. Ramp up deportations to a fever pitch. Implement 50-state voter ID requirements. Perhaps even overrule the states on the foolish nonsense some have been doing like giving drivers licenses to illegals, in-state tuition, etc…

The media would be in a 24/7 frenzy over it, Red Team’s approval rating would be 10%, and we’d be out in 4-years (or sooner, because they’d probably try to vote to impeach, where we didn’t have the stomach to). The only, and I mean only mitigating factor would be if in 4 years that same Red Team guy managed to grow the economy like 200% and lower unemployment below 5% — I don’t see that happening, do you? That would require major changes (each would face its own media firestorm), abolishing the minimum wage, lowering corporate/personal tax rates, reducing/reforming college loans (to prompt schools to lower their tuitions/fees/bloat — as well as encourage STEM degrees over basket-weaving and/or victimhood studies, etc). Even if all of those changes resulted in a massive economic boom, the media would still find be sitting there calling Mr. Red a racist/bigot/elitist/you-name-it, and the huddled, dumb-assed masses, would eat it up. Nevermind that they have a job now and didn’t before, nevermind that they pay less taxes, nevermind any of it, because the media tells me he’s a bad man, and they’re bad people. Extra points if I happen to be a minority, then I just don’t trust whitey to begin with, especially if he’s telling me I can earn my own money (more of it, too!) rather than get it free from the gubmint.

The reality is, amnesty will eventually pass, and from there they’ll get the vote (might take 5, even 10 years, sure, but it’ll happen) — and once it does, it is curtains for the USA.

I can understand why the expat rates are rising so sharply in recent years, soon, I’ll be one of them.

nullrouted on March 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM