Obama mocks Republicans: When I try to “fix” ObamaCare, they call me a tyrant

posted at 11:21 am on March 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via CNS, a perfect complement to this morning’s news of the umpteenth ass-covering ad hoc executive rule change to his pet boondoggle. (This little stand-up routine at DNC HQ was recorded on Friday evening, about an hour after he delivered his somber “there will be costs” statement on Ukraine.) Here’s the result of three years of education at Harvard Law plus several years spent lecturing students as a law prof at the University of Chicago: As long as the president’s trying to “fix things” — and “things” very much includes his party’s prospects in the next election — it’s absurd to hassle him over separation of powers. Which, I’m embarrassed to say, isn’t the first time he’s used that rationale. Remember?

[W]here Congress is unwilling to act, I will take whatever administrative steps that I can in order to do right by the American people.

And if Congress thinks that what I’ve done is inappropriate or wrong in some fashion, they’re free to make that case. But there’s not an action that I take that you don’t have some folks in Congress who say that I’m usurping my authority. Some of those folks think I usurp my authority by having the gall to win the presidency. And I don’t think that’s a secret. But ultimately, I’m not concerned about their opinions — very few of them, by the way, are lawyers, much less constitutional lawyers.

I am concerned about the folks who I spoke to today who are working really hard, are trying to figure out how they can send their kids to college, are trying to make sure that they can save for their retirement. And if I can take steps on their behalf, then I’m going to do so. And I would hope that more and more of Congress will say, you know what, since that’s our primary focus, we’re willing to work with you to advance those ideals. But I’m not just going to sit back if the only message from some of these folks is no on everything, and sit around and twiddle my thumbs for the next 1,200 days.

That’s the Obama rule on executive power grabs. If Congress won’t do what he wants and if he can semi-credibly defend his actions as “fixing something” or “doing right by the American people” (or the Libyan people, when it comes to intervening abroad without congressional authorization), he’s entitled to act. The chief limit on this rule is political, not legal: He’s held off on expanding his DREAM amnesty to the entire illegal population, ostensibly because he lacks authority but in reality because he’s nervous how it’ll play for Democrats in the midterms if he does it. If/when his political calculus changes, his calculus about his authority will too. It takes the fine mind of a constitutional lawyer, honed by decades of study, to find this much nuance in the constitutional limits on his own power. Can’t wait for Jonathan Turley’s next appearance before the House.

Exit question via my pal Karl: Remember when Obama denounced Bush’s executive signing statements as “a license to evade laws that the president does not like or as an end-run around provisions designed to foster accountability”? Since when is a president’s attempt to “fix things” objectionable?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Worst president in our lifetimes, bar none.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Should I say it “over”?

hawkdriver on March 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

But didn’t Sebelius say ‘Cancer won’t/can’t wait’ or some other silly thing when Cruz was wanting to delay? Well I guess Obama wants more cancer now cuz he’s making ‘folks’ wait.

Schwalbe Me-262 on March 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I’m just sick to near death that this POS can say things like this and get away with it

jaywemm on March 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM

jaywemm on March 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Clearly it’s because conservatives and Fox news are enabling him.

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Calculus is raaaaaaacist!!!

mel23059 on March 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Wait for a Republican president to say “when I try to ‘fix’ the EPA, they call me a tyrant.”

slickwillie2001 on March 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM

It’s been 4 years & this POS wants to deflect the blame. What a coward.

RdLake on March 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

How else do you propose we get an honest viewpoint out of your lying and dishonest a$$? Has Obama acted unconstitutionally or not?

NotCoach on March 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I think there’s been some fair points made on excesses of executive power – both in the Bush and now with the Obama administrations.
The loudest complaints are often partisan and hypocritical.

I welcome judicial review. Which is not the same thing as saying I will accept it if I disagree with the results.

verbaloon on March 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Edited for Reality.

Del Dolemonte on March 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

It does not take “lawyers, much less constitutional lawyers” to read and understand the constitution. It does, however, to mangle it. Dear Leader seems not to be clued into the fact that there is actually a constitutional way to deal with this mess: the legislative branch can repeal it. But why let that happen when you’ve found an easy way to grab more power?

filiusdonaldi on March 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Why doesn’t Cruz or Paul blast this clown on separation of powers? I guess adjunct law perfesser Obamugabe doesn’t know about that.

8 weight on March 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Just imagine if Bush had said this. Just imagine.

NYCMike on March 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

First off, you worthless POS, why did you pass it knowing it had horrific errors? Second, you are breaking the law by bypassing congress with your delays of the law you passed. I have never seen a more criminal, terrorist, running a country and the terrorist media supporting your destruction. We know that the retarded liberals, especially the “minorities will support you, because they are dumb enough to fall for your lies, not to mention that you have brown skin, and you redistribute our money to them. I just don’t get the media covering up for you, because your actions will put them out of business with the rest of us.

F_This on March 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Amazingly, there actually are people who think this petulant scheisskopf is a constitutional lawyer. He isn’t one of them.

cosifantutte on March 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Every time I think I can’t hate him any more…

SouthernGent on March 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Law degrees are held by 169 Members of the House (38% of the House) and 57 Senators (57% of the Senate)

“Very few”?

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Thanks, I was wondering about that. But regardless of how many legislators are lawyers, it doesn’t take a law degree to read and understand the constitution. It’s a surprisingly straight-forward document.

(Sorry if someone’s already addressed this. I have a headache and thus do not have the concentration available to read through all of the previous comments.)

Cheshire_Kat on March 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM

The only thin Mr. smirk is trying to fix is the next election.

rplat on March 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM

“Very few”?

rogerb on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Cheshire_Kat on March 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM

+1, and a great point.

That has probably been one, if not the, biggest gains the (D)s have made, and it was a brilliant maneuver even if unintentional. They’ve convinced at least half the country that you have to be an expert to understand something.*

One doesn’t have to look any farther than the extremely simple scientific method to see what we’ve become:

No… and this may be difficult for you to grasp but that’s not relevant because I don’t presume to have the capacity to fully comprehend the massive amount of scientific research in this feild fo study and reach broad conclusions as to its implications…

bayam on January 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

They create holy men to guide them in their faith. Nothing more.

There are countless other examples here, but bayam, like verbaluce upthread, always does a reliably good job accidentally presenting their real position.

rogerb on March 5, 2014 at 7:13 AM

*FWIW, our educational system is either actively teaching that “experts” approach to the students or not teaching them how to make use of/understand core elements like the scientific method.

It has to be one or the other. There are no other choices.

rogerb on March 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM

“When I try to fix the ACA VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION BY BY-PASSING CONGRESS, THEREFORE VIOLATING THE SEPARATION OF POWERS ACT,they call be a tyrant.”

Oh, btw Obama….THEY CALL YOU A LOT WORSE THAN THAT…and justifiably so.

easyt65 on March 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Can’t he just explain himself like a dignified President would without the mocking tone?

He has never been, or wanted to be, the President of ALL the people. He is President for his friends and people who like him.

This is undeniable.