Crisis averted: 10-year-old who pointed his fingers like a gun suspended from school for three days

posted at 6:41 pm on March 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via Legal Insurrection. Lest you think the punishment was unwarranted, the school district wants you to know that the kid was pointing his finger, and I quote, “kind of execution style.”

You ask me why I’m an atheist. I ask you in response: Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

“She said if it happened again the suspension would be longer, if not permanent,” said Entingh, who also received a letter explaining the reason for Nathan’s suspension as a “level 2 look alike firearm.”

Ohio’s “zero-tolerance” rules in public schools came under attack in January when state Sen. Charleta Tavares introduced bill SB 167 to reverse or reform the original 1998 law introduced as part of SB 55. The 1998 bill mandated schools “adopt a policy of zero tolerance for violent, disruptive, or inappropriate behavior, including excessive truancy.”…

According to state disciplinary figures for the 2012-2013 school year, a total of 419 statewide students, from various grade levels, were suspended because of an incident in the category of “firearm look-a-likes,” and an additional 38 students were expelled.

In the Columbus City Schools District, where Nathan goes to school, 12 students were expelled because of incidents in the “firearm look-a-likes” category, while 69 students were suspended. Contrast that with categories such as harassment and intimidation, in which zero students were expelled, though 1527 were suspended district-wide.

The obvious compromise here: Allow finger handguns but ban assault fingers.

Jokes aside, I’m trying to imagine a case where bringing a lookalike gun to school really would warrant the trauma and upheaval of expulsion. I can imagine it being justified if a kid brought a real-looking plastic gun or BB gun to school for the purpose of menacing his classmates, although in that case you’ve got “harassment and intimidation” as grounds — and as noted above, literally no one’s gotten expelled for that. When would it be right to kick a kid out of school for using a facsimile gun if he’s not harassing or intimidating people with it? Anyone? The only explanation I can come up with is that maybe there are legal headaches involved in accusing a kid of “harassment” that aren’t present when accusing him of carrying a lookalike, i.e. in the first case you might need to show intent whereas in the second simple possession is enough. For a “problem” kid, the lookalike rule might be a way of removing him from school expeditiously. If that’s not what’s happening here, though, I’m stumped.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I have a three word response to this nonsense:

HOME. SCHOOL.

(I’m using Common Core/Joe Biden mathematics)

turfmann on March 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

There are no atheists in foxholes!

However, atheist or not, we all go to the same place. You, me, Alan Grayson, Bronco Bama, even the HillRod. You can even be reunited with beloved cats if you wish.

But we also go back to school. I’ll look you up and pick the desk next to you, as I’m dying to see what you looked like on earth

Lanceman on March 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

That school would’ve just loooved me and my toy Uzi. ///

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

When I was a kid we used to run around during recess playing army. We’d point sticks at each other and make ratatat sounds.

I’m sure we’d all have been better off we were expelled.

The world is going batsh*t crazy.

WitchDoctor on March 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

I bet God wouldn’t allow people like that to run his schools.

– But if their hands look like guns to administrators, 1. Eye exams all around; 2. Maybe they should make their hands look like something else. Maybe birds.

Lime in the Coconut on March 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Wanna’ bet this little deviant has a criminal record for playing an air guitar in public too, I’m guessing a Gibson.

antipc on March 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Allow finger handguns but ban assault fingers.

I think that would be racist, since one of the criteria for whether something is an “assault weapon” is sometimes that it’s black and scary-looking.

malclave on March 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM

de rigueur on March 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Clearly, these kids aren’t being chemically emasculated drugged enough … Ritalin for all!

ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM

This is only a 15 yard penalty in the NFL.

faraway on March 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM

WitchDoctor on March 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

We’d also make “grenades” out of pospicle sticks and throw clumps of dirt at each other. And that was at school, during recess.

In the neighborhood, we’d usually just use cap guns… though sometimes we ramped it up with homemade rubber band guns.

malclave on March 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I suppose this was distracting during the elementary sex education courses? Or was this during the “Mmmhmm Mmm, Barack Hussein Obama” anthem?

Xanatos90 on March 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM

This crap has gotten *bleeping* ridiculous.

Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

AP,

This is what happens when I’m not allowed in the schools.

signed – God

Flora Duh on March 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Future headline: pulling another kid’s finger considered assault …

ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Where is Dianne Frankenfeinstein when you need her?

Brock Robamney on March 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM

********************* F’n Nuts ***********************************!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM

“level 2 look alike firearm.”

What’s the waiting period for one of those?

Bitter Clinger on March 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

WitchDoctor on March 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Our favorite recess activity in elementary school was playing “Smear the Queer.”

I can’t imagine the horrific, traumatizing repercussions of playing that these days …

ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

They won’t stop until they’ve eliminated the crime of being a heterosexual male forever.

Rusty Nail on March 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I wonder if he simulated a Abortion ,..what might happen!
(Yes,..I’m kidding)

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

This same principal will then sit in her office and wonder WHY people home school or want voucher schools.

GarandFan on March 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

If he’d just “shot the finger” at the other kid(s) instead of pointing his “finger gun” at them, the kid would’ve probably received an achievement ribbon. What a bunch of idiots.

TXUS on March 4, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

doesn’t free will just suck?

dmacleo on March 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Wait a tic,

isn’t he qualified,..under Obama’s “My Brothers Keeper” Initiative!!!

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM

All part of the brainwashing and attitudinal change desired by AGHolder. Subtle but over the long term, effective

retiredeagle on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I’m sure we’d all have been better off we were expelled.

The world is going batsh*t crazy.

WitchDoctor on March 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Heck, we’d bring our realistic toy guns to school. And during the last week of school we’d bring squirt guns! Worst thing to happen if you were caught using the latter was to have it confiscated.

rbj on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

rbj on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I’m of that era as well. The rules didn’t start getting totally stupid until the late 80′s.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM

If that’s not what’s happening here, though, I’m stumped.

Let me ‘splain dat to you, Lucy.

These “zero tolerance” rules about anything remotely resembling a firearm or that anyone could conceivably imagine might be a firearm have nothing, zero, zit, nada to do with maintaining order, let alone safety.

The agenda here is brainwashing the children, demonizing the firearms so thoroughly that even symbolic representations of firearms are too evil to be tolerated, and those who would use even the mere symbols must be punished for engaging in unthinkable evil.

These rules also provide the opportunity for the puny martinets who enjoy wielding punitive power over children and their parents and who overpopulate school administration to exert maximum authority with no responsibility for the consequences whatsoever.

This unbridled abuse makes perfect sense from their perspective.

novaculus on March 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I want the school administrator to show me on a firearms identification chart what weapon this kid’s hand looks like enough to be confusing.

stuiec on March 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

…they can have sex with our kids from school and not get suspended…be mentally…verbally…and sometimes physically abuse…but by gawd…don’t let a student point a finger like it’s a gun or wear an American flag on your shirt……or you’re outta here!

KOOLAID2 on March 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM

stuiec on March 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Duh. A handgun, dummy!

Lanceman on March 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

AP can you be more desperate for blog hits?

Federati on March 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

stuiec on March 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

She probably saw it on a documetary about the spy agency CONTROL and its preeminent operative, Agent 86.

malclave on March 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I suggest a fifth grade “boy’ slam his finger up the the butch principle’s twat and see if there are any repercussions. Dam! I am baad – three Hail Mary’s and a six pack.

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Did he point his hand gun at a skittle packin’ hoodie kid?

‘Cause Obama has a few works to say….

Electrongod on March 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Rusty Nail on March 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Heterosexual males have been the bane of civilization and need to evolve away from their aggressive neanderthal roots. Whatever it takes to emaciate and feminize ‘em.

One for all and all for one pacified and compliant unigender.

/SNARK

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Hiding behind “the law” to justify making decisions like this clarifies that the dummies who run the schools often deserve no respect at all. People with no common sense seem to respond quite well to public shaming.

The time is ripe to start a grassroots movement to shame school officials who make stupid decisions like this in the name of “zero tolerance laws.” Someone needs to start a Shame On The Principal website & Facebook page. #ShameOnThePrincipal hashtags. Post these morons’ names and stupid decisions for all to see. Have floods of email and voice mail sent to their school boards, requesting their dismissal (and that of anyone higher up in their chain of command who supports these stupid decisions.) Shame them all and have them all fired.

I agree that homeschooling makes a lot of sense, but for those unwilling or unable to leave the public schools, here’s your chance to make a difference.

Stanley Thorp on March 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I think the young man should have stuck his ‘gun’ finger up the butch principle’s t–t- and rode out the ride…

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

rbj on March 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

One of the jobs I had working my way through law school was managing a center for seriously disturbed children. One of the psychiatric staff’s favorite therapies, I learned, was arming the kids with squirt guns for a few hours, usually on Friday afternoons, and actually encouraging water gun wars. They even gave us in the business office our own squirt guns and everyone had a blast (pun intended).

The shrinks explained that this was very good for the kids as it allowed them to channel their anger and, for some, to overcome their excessively shy nature.

Don’t know that they still do that but our center was internationally known as one of the best such treatment facilities anywhere. The shrinks would get arrested today in Ohio, of course.

TXUS on March 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

So if he walks with his hand in his pocket, does he earn a concealed carry charge as well?

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

If a kid gets caught picking his nose, will he be sent to counseling for a suicide attempt?

gregbert on March 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

He should have just put his left hand out and yelled “chick-chick” to load up his hands shotgun and then “buurrgggshshhhh!” to fire it. Uncle Joe would have flown to Ohio to back him up on that one…but alas he had an illegal clip using automatic assault pistol.

nextgen_repub on March 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Future headline: pulling another kid’s finger considered assault …
ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

You joke, but -
Student arrested for passing gas and turning off classmates’ computers

whatcat on March 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I have a three word response to this nonsense:

HOME. SCHOOL.

(I’m using Common Core/Joe Biden mathematics)

turfmann on March 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

No need to explain – it was as clear as Biden’s three letter cure for the economy: J-O-B-S.

A+ for your solution.

Hill60 on March 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Now that was funny right there.

WitchDoctor on March 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

gregbert on March 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Maybe,or maybe for trying to illegally reload his finger-gun.

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

My son was suspended for three days for drawing stick figures with guns shooting each other. In addition to the suspension, I was visited by the police and he was interviewed by CPS.

It’s got nothing to do with God, though.

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM

It’s the addiction of power that makes these school teachers and staff go wacko. They are their own community and the majority of friends are teachers that agree with the same agenda. Here in NYS all that’s required to teach is a certificate of teaching. The math teachers of long ago with the history teachers are gone. Just a certificate is necessary to teach any subject. The teachers union is to blame for a lot of the mess. Years ago teachers monitored the halls between classes, now it’s added to their salary if they monitor the halls. How about the person who announces the bus arrivals, it’s true and that is another payed task. In our local high school we have a teacher who is in charge of the model airplane club but there are no members but the pay continues. Many have no idea this is a common assurance.

mixplix on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

You people have obviously never taken a Psych course or conducted any animal training. This is simple and harmless “Classical Conditioning” and behavior modification.

We must, for the good of our country, ensure the next generation develops a conditioned repulsion to guns. Even the word “gun” must instill instant fear.

Our brave teachers have made great progress on conditioning our society’s children on this problem…and other outdated White ideals such as, “patriotism”, “capitalism”, “individualism” and “self-reliance”, but there is much more work to do. Re-educating adults in this country must begin.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

over kill

Jamson64 on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

More and more we hear stories like this, I’m starting to think that sending kids to public schools is child abuse.
Believe me when I say Homeschooling simplifies your life. Imagine not having to deal with jackwagons and wingnuts who think they know better than you regarding your own beloved child, just for starters..

Rivers on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

This has actually been SOP for the TSA for quite a few years now.

Federati on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Future headline: pulling another kid’s finger considered assault …
ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

2nd “You joke, but” -
West Virginia Man Charged with Assaulting an Officer

whatcat on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

What kind of ammo does the kid’s finger use?

whatcat on March 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

One for all and all for one pacified and compliant unigender.
/SNARK
hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Wussification. It’s the Democrat way.

bluegill on March 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Seriously-if I ever get grandkids(not for a LONG time please)I hope that they’ll be home schooled.

This PC, one-size-fits-all crap doesn’t wash!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

“level 2 look alike firearm.”

Wow. This must really be devastating, especially after the kid had to pay for the $200 tax stamp for his er, ‘piece’. Was the look-alike weapon confiscated or did they merely make him register it? I am currently making a gesture with my finger – I wonder if any of the geniuses on this school board can guess what it looks-a-like.

ghostwalker1 on March 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Wow, you are good at that satire. Are you a new commenter?

bluegill on March 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

The Civil War centennial was the big thing when I was this kids age. The boys divided up and played Union vs. the Confederates on the playground during lunch hour with make believe rifles and sabers, cavalry charges and infantry line assaults for several weeks until the teachers had to step in and eventually put a stop to it on account of the over enthusiasm and rising casualties appearing in the nurses office.

We did that now, 90% of the boys would have been suspended. The ones playing the Confederates would have been expelled…..Forever.

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I was a bad boy. I got sent to military school. Where they put full-weight Springfield 1903 M-1 A1′s and A3′s in our hands. Drill rifles were demil’ed, of course, with lead rods down the barrel and welded in place. Live weapons were restricted to the range and armory (all on campus, of course). So you had problem children, given 11 lb beating weapons, trained in pugilism with said weapons, and actually trained to use rifles, with frequent access to said rifles. Guess how often someone got intentionally struck or shot?

Answer is, never. Fist fights were at least once a week, someone got the schiesse beaten out of them with mop handles and soap in socks every month or so, and yet we never had a problem with the firearms. The only death in the history of the school from a firearm (either melee or shot) was an event on the range where a .22 match rifle was jarred in its holder, went off, the round ricocheted twice and struck someone behind the firing line in the heart.

Meanwhile, in public schools, kids are being SUSPENDED and threatened with EXPULSION for making an L with their FINGERS? REALLY?!

Asurea on March 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

hawkeye54 on March 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Boys NOTHING. Tomboys like me would’ve gotten expelled too.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

My empathy with you, Tex. I’m a 5th gen Texan who is still in mourning for the loss of Houston, Austin, et al, to the effeminate Yankee transplants who have eviscerated the Republic of Texas. Deo Vendice!

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I wonder if he simulated a Abortion ,..what might happen!
(Yes,..I’m kidding)

canopfor on March 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hmmm, ya know these days when two kids get caught playing doctor they can just say they were practicing abortions and get away with it. Probably get extra credit in health class.

Oldnuke on March 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Not all of us ‘Yankee’ transplants are bad.
I love everything about Texas-except maybe the summers.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Um, isn’t that what the Confederacy wanted?

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Rivers on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

But then how would a gender studies or education major be able to bully your kid?

tetriskid on March 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Not all of us ‘Yankee’ transplants are bad.
I love everything about Texas-except maybe the summers.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I suspect it’s likely more due to the invasion of “undocumented voters” from TX’s south than “Yankee transplants”.

whatcat on March 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM

On top of that, a pointed finger could be construed as a micro aggression against the transgendered if mistaken for a penis.

BL@KBIRD on March 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I work as an elementary custodian.

At lunch one day, some 4th grade boys were shooting each other with their bananas, so….

I walked over, let them know they were doing wrong…

And showed them how to hold them sideways, gangsta style!

questionmark on March 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

doesn’t free will just suck?

dmacleo on March 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Bravo! Thank you.

jix on March 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

This has actually been SOP for the TSA for quite a few years now.

Federati on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

And?

Chuck Schick on March 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Bluegill, yes I joined during the last open registration.

I know it’ll never happen, but I just wanted to peek inside the world of the KKK and Skinheads and see if anyone of you could be rationalized with. I’m obviously wasting my time.

Besides, I was banned from DailyKos and Huffington for being “too moderate”. Screw those bastards.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Intent indeed, which is why this kid should have claimed he was giving the Serbian Three-Finger Salute and screamed: “Nema krsta bez tri prsta.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I just wanted to peek inside the world of the KKK

Democrats founded the KKK and your party had a Grand Dragon of the KKK (Robert Byrd) in it.

and Skinheads

National Socialists?

Read a book if you are one of the few who are functionally literate on the left.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

You likely won’t get banned among the intolerant Neanderthals here who want to crush all dissenting opinions. /s

Why is that?

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Working really hard to play devil’s advocate, I can see how if you had a school in an area with a lot of gang violence, then you might need to crack down on otherwise innocent gestures.

If, for example, the child is making a gesture that is identical to one gang members in that same neighborhood use frequently – maybe the local gangs threaten rivals with execution style shootings with the same hand movement – then I could see how you’d need to take it more seriously. Even if you don’t suspect the kid himself of being in a gang, you might want to have a general zero tolerance policy to avoid ending up with no way to crack down on violent threats, since kids could always deny having any gang affiliation.

Even then, it’s a bad policy. There is no way a school could feasibly keep up with changing gangland gestures and symbols; any school in an area with gang violence is going to have people making covert threats with plausible deniability, so it’s hopeless to expect a policy like that to be effective.

Still, I can see an argument that in a school in a broken neighborhood rocked by gang violence, the policy might be only misguided, as opposed to any other situation, where it’s flat-out insane.

RINO in Name Only on March 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

gregbert on March 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Future headline: pulling another kid’s finger considered assault …
ShainS on March 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Not one, not two, but THREE instant classics.

JusDreamin on March 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I remember drawing a conflagration on multicolored paper in 5th Grade (looks like everything is blowin’ up reeeel good—at least, to a 5th grader) with buildings and so forth disintegrating in the blast. Would have gotten me put into Reform School, today.

Glad I take my kids out shooting, several times a year. With real guns, and real ammunition, so they can judge the idiocy of these social re-engineering fascists in the schools from the context of their own experience.

Just think what they’d say about having given my beautiful college-age daughter a purse-able semiautomatic pistol as a gift.
Because obnoxious, sometimes drunk or high college-age boys.

orangemtl on March 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I’m at ground zero – Austin.

Funny thing is, my kid goes to a charter school run primarily by Pakistanis.

The educational curriculum is far superior to the public schools, but their zero tolerance policy is pure BS

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Bluegill, yes I joined during the last open registration.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Hahaha. Subtle.

Chuck Schick on March 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

This has actually been SOP for the TSA for quite a few years now.
Federati on March 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

And?

Chuck Schick on March 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I believe he was just sharing a funny video to illustrate the type of “zero tolerance” silliness in the article. Made me laugh, at least.

whatcat on March 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Hahaha. Subtle.

Chuck Schick on March 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I thought that was HonestLib who wasn’t the moron? There are two of them?

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

And yet, there are plenty of “Texans” who trash true conservatives who move to Texas and claim it as their own.

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

WitchDoctor on March 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

malclave on March 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Pfffffttt…. Pikers and dilettantes…. my gang had all-out BB gun and pellet gun battles, until one of us got the idea to form guns out of coat hangers that launched bottle rockets…

I’m lucky to not wear an eye patch… or be nicknamed “Lefty”…

PointnClick on March 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM

And not completely off topic DBD has gone nucular:

questionmark on March 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Lived there a couple times, and would go back again, so I took this as my theme song.

questionmark on March 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I…uh…remember when little kids would point their air-schmeissers at the Talmud Torah buses and make machine-gun sounds when the Jewish kids were picked up early, and that’s a no shiite tale I tell.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I was banned from DailyKos
Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I never made it out of my first thread at Kos alive.

The only other place I’ve ever been banned from is a Steelers blog, Behind the Steel Curtain. It was right at the end of the playoff game where Tebow torched them one the first play in overtime. I was banned after my first and only post there. I think there were hundreds of Browns fans banned from that site within 15 minutes- a source of great pride for the fan base.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM

And that was at elementary school in the early 70′s in Minnesota, no less.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

That’s because Texas can’t be claimed by anyone “as their own”, native or transplant. It’s not a half-empty whiskey bottle for cripes sake.

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM

“level 2 look alike firearm.”

ghostwalker1 on March 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Wonder what you get for a Level One? De-nutting?

I hate to tell you folks but in second grade I took my very real Winchester boy’s rifle to school for show and tell. Later on, in jr. high and high school, we hunted before and after class. It was not uncommon for there to be guns in lockers and cars and trucks in the parking lot. Most boys had pocket knives. Not a single shooting or stabbing my entire 12 years in that school system. Not one.

But those were different days, and long gone…

novaculus on March 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I never got to experience that when I was a wee Jewish kid. I feel so cheated.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Heh.

Cleombrotus on March 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Boy…

mizflame98 on March 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM

“level 2 look alike firearm.”

Hmm. It must have had that shoulder thing that goes up on it.

mizflame98 on March 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I served in the Army with plenty of Texans. Great folks we were VERY proud of their state. If I heard “don’t mess with Texas” once I heard it a million times. Strangest thing was, in that time, and with that group of native Texans, it always seemed to me that they were Texans first, white/black/Mexican, second.

The closest analogy I can come up with is Cleveland Browns & Pittsburgh Steeler fans. Two old and very storied franchises in the NFL. Now I’m a Browns fan but trust me when I tell you that you ask fans of either team and 90% will tell you if you weren’t born here you’re not a true fan (sorry, Ed, but it’s true.). And this is true regardless if your parents swaddled you in a team blanket in the maternity ward. Football is a religion here & if you’re not at the church on Sundays you can’t claim to be a member.

If I ever moved to Texas I would be an Ohioan who was happy to live in Texas. But I would & could never BE a Texan- that’s in the blood & reserved for the natives.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM

novaculus on March 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Yep. This is it exactly.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I don’t for one minute think it’s “harmless.” These school fascists know exactly what they’re doing and why, as you said.

orangemtl on March 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I was just going to say … I hope this kid’s dad does just that: takes him to a shooting range with real guns and real ammo for precisely the same reasons you do.

PatriotGal2257 on March 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I have a three word response to this nonsense:

HOME. SCHOOL.

turfmann on March 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Reason # 6781 to Home School your kids: The teacher knows the difference between a firearm and a finger. (north of the wrist of course).

kringeesmom on March 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Well said. Sometimes you just got to be content with the blessings you do have. :)

When I was pregnant with my son, my husband wanted to visit his parents in Utah. I told him that it was too late in the pregnancy to be traveling. He responded that there were hospitals in Utah. I told him that no son of mine would be born outside of Texas. I didn’t mean to offend, it’s just the way it is.

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

All Texans are nothing but a bunch of racist bigots who enjoy stereotyping people based on nothing but skin color or where they’re from.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM