Crisis averted: 10-year-old who pointed his fingers like a gun suspended from school for three days

posted at 6:41 pm on March 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via Legal Insurrection. Lest you think the punishment was unwarranted, the school district wants you to know that the kid was pointing his finger, and I quote, “kind of execution style.”

You ask me why I’m an atheist. I ask you in response: Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

“She said if it happened again the suspension would be longer, if not permanent,” said Entingh, who also received a letter explaining the reason for Nathan’s suspension as a “level 2 look alike firearm.”

Ohio’s “zero-tolerance” rules in public schools came under attack in January when state Sen. Charleta Tavares introduced bill SB 167 to reverse or reform the original 1998 law introduced as part of SB 55. The 1998 bill mandated schools “adopt a policy of zero tolerance for violent, disruptive, or inappropriate behavior, including excessive truancy.”…

According to state disciplinary figures for the 2012-2013 school year, a total of 419 statewide students, from various grade levels, were suspended because of an incident in the category of “firearm look-a-likes,” and an additional 38 students were expelled.

In the Columbus City Schools District, where Nathan goes to school, 12 students were expelled because of incidents in the “firearm look-a-likes” category, while 69 students were suspended. Contrast that with categories such as harassment and intimidation, in which zero students were expelled, though 1527 were suspended district-wide.

The obvious compromise here: Allow finger handguns but ban assault fingers.

Jokes aside, I’m trying to imagine a case where bringing a lookalike gun to school really would warrant the trauma and upheaval of expulsion. I can imagine it being justified if a kid brought a real-looking plastic gun or BB gun to school for the purpose of menacing his classmates, although in that case you’ve got “harassment and intimidation” as grounds — and as noted above, literally no one’s gotten expelled for that. When would it be right to kick a kid out of school for using a facsimile gun if he’s not harassing or intimidating people with it? Anyone? The only explanation I can come up with is that maybe there are legal headaches involved in accusing a kid of “harassment” that aren’t present when accusing him of carrying a lookalike, i.e. in the first case you might need to show intent whereas in the second simple possession is enough. For a “problem” kid, the lookalike rule might be a way of removing him from school expeditiously. If that’s not what’s happening here, though, I’m stumped.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If I ever moved to Texas I would be an Ohioan who was happy to live in Texas. But I would & could never BE a Texan- that’s in the blood & reserved for the natives.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Well said. Sometimes you just got to be content with the blessings you do have. :)

When I was pregnant with my son, my husband wanted to visit his parents in Utah. I told him that it was too late in the pregnancy to be traveling. He responded that there were hospitals in Utah. I told him that no son of mine would be born outside of Texas. I didn’t mean to offend, it’s just the way it is.

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I wish we could say the same about California but it’s almost an insult to tell anyone you’re from there. Too many fruits, nuts and flakes.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM

We used to play Vietnam in our backyard and the empty lot behind the houses behind the streert. We would be expellled for using guns AND for being racit.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

All Franklibs bend over and take O’s nine iron up their whazoo, with whoop-de-doos all around.

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

If only we paid the school administrator more…

MT on March 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Every yard in our hood was the battlefield, if random little boys weren’t stalking each other through your yard the parents would demand to know why not, were they not cool enough?

I remember I had a little plastic belt fed LMG complete with bipod, pull the trigger and the belt of plastic ammo would feed through the breech.

Bishop on March 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

All Texans are nothing but a bunch of racist bigots who enjoy stereotyping people based on nothing but skin color or where they’re from.

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

And I’m the biggest racist out of Texas of them all.

mizflame98 on March 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I tell my sis I’ll tell the disinterested commenterati: send you children to public schools, expect this type of discretion.

King B on March 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Frank Lib on March 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I know you are being sarcastic, but don’t over do it.

you know, you can post normal comments too. :)

Barred on March 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM

And I’m the biggest racist out of Texas of them all.

mizflame98 on March 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Awesome, love to her it. Racism is perfect for Texas and California.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Wow….just checked the preliminary results for the primaries in Texas tonight. With the exception of the governor’s race, it looks like most of the big races are going into the run offs.

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM
NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Haaa! Your hospital story is exactly what I mean by being in the blood.

I’ll use another sports analogy. Living in Ohio I’m a fan of THE Ohio State buckeyes football team. The big rivalry, known simply as “The Game” is Ohio State vs Michigan. Woody Hayes, late great coach of THE Ohio State rug refused to call Michigan by name, referring to them as “that team up north.” Their are two things that EVERY Native Ohio State fan knows: 1) that WoodyHayes, traveling back to Ohio from Michigan & running dangerously low on fuel declared “I don’t care if we have to push this thing back to Ohio we will not buy one d@mned cent of gas in this state!!!;” and 2) every last word of the song “We Don’t Give a D@mn for the Whole State of Michigan, We’re From Ohio.”

For God’s sake the kids at Ohio State, regardless of the temp, swim in a lake before the game to commune with the spirit of Woody Hayes! That’s in the blood. Predisposed at the moment of conception.

Yes as an outsider you can be proud of a thing. You can nurture and love that thing, but you must always understand that you are never OF that thing.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Very good point. So if a traveler from CA has the baby in TX are they an “anchor baby”? :)

arnold ziffel on March 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Right on NT! A true story of my parents…my dad was in the navy when my mom was expecting my 2nd brother. Both native Texans, but they were stationed in Saratoga Springs, NY, and couldn’t get leave to get back down home for his birth. Daddy had his mother go out in her flower bed and sack him up some dirt in a bread bag and send it to him so he could bring it to the hospital with my mom when she went into labor. So my older brother was born in NY, but had Texas flower bed dirt in a sack under the delivery table.

graywaiter on March 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Should be interesting there in Texas. Let’s hope it ends up with the right results.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM

arnold ziffel on March 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM

My niece moved there, will that make her baby a real Texan when she has one?

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM

arnold ziffel on March 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM

No, just an extremely lucky baby who’s got some bragging rights. :)

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Yes, the baby will be, The mom kind of.

arnold ziffel on March 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

With due respect Allah Pundit your lip service on this obviously egregious assault on liberty is an insult.

This is the kind of crap that I hate the Republicans for. Is it not their job to stop this? Is it not their job to prevent this? Is it not their job to scream at the top of their lungs when these abuses are committed?

Impotence and incompetence are the mantras of the Republicans.

No Chop Charlie on March 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

My niece moved there, will that make her baby a real Texan when she has one?

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Yep. ;)

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM

No Chop Charlie on March 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Hear. Hear.

Cleombrotus on March 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Awesome, love to her it. Racism is perfect for Texas and California.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM

We have a talent for it.

mizflame98 on March 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM

NativeTexan on March 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
arnold ziffel on March 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Good point. If I’m the kid I’d tell folks “I may be living in this Cali cr@p hole but I was born in the Lone Star State.

And remember the reverse hold true. I’m a proud Ohioan & have, and will continue to be a proud Ohioan no matter where I’ve lived.

To do any different would be like Madonna moving to Britain and speaking with a phony accent. We should all be very proud of where we’re from.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Poor kid.He should have just slashed his thumb across his throat.No gun,no foul.

redware on March 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM

A little belated, but to ‘whatcat’, et al. I grew up on the south side of San Antonio. Only locals would know whut that means. ‘Anglos’ were in the minority. Hispanics (not Kaliforniac ‘Latinos’) were a majority (approx 60%, now 90%+). Most Hispanics were multi-generational Tejanos – like me. I spoke Espanol fairly well – understood it better. The mix has changed, with many more ‘immigrants’ from Mexico. San Antonio has always been an ‘hemispheric’ city. Founded in 1718 by Franciscan friars, it has enjoyed a dynamic mix of new blood from the American South and Mexican, North. It seems to me that mostly Yankees with little experience with others than their ‘own’ scream ‘racism’ when it, essentially, derives from their own clueless guilt…

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM

You ask me why I’m an atheist

You know, Allah, that with the exception of the late Hitch you’re probably one of the few atheists going straight to heaven when you die as there’s no doubt in my mind that many prayers have been said on your behalf.

We sponsored a mass for Hitch when he was ill and are thinking of doing the same for you.

If you don’t turn soon I’m thinking of turning you over to my mother & aunts- seven day a week mass going Rosary saying prayer maniacs.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM

This is all about making a generation of kids so afraid of guns that a gun ban will easily pass in just a few more years.

mbs on March 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM

And candles…lots and lots of candles. AP will need all the help we can give him.

kringeesmom on March 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM

And rosaries, lots of rosaries.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM

vnvet on March 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Ah yes my fellow Yankees.

I never lived in Texas but I lived for 9.5 years in the south mainly on the east coast. First in the Army and later as a civilian.

Anyways it was at the time that the Rustbelt collapsed so many of my fellow Yankees moved south looking for work.

Don’t know how it is now but then it was all “this is how we do it up north.” “Southern people are so racist.” And other crap like that. The morons never took they time to appreciate the culture & how wonderful the people were. The only saving grace is that I’m sure their grandchildren are now proud Southerners.

And the truly sick part about it is that any honest Yankee who has lived in the south can tell you that the north is far more segregated & racist than the south. Yankees are self righteous freak who love to preach but are blind to their true nature.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM

And rosaries, lots of rosaries.

onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM

My Baba’s komboskini will find use too.

Theadora on March 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM

mbs on March 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I can only speak of what goes on in my little corner of the world. My kids go to catholic school. The have friends who go to their school but also many friends in public school. What really surprises me is how conservative & religious these kids are.

I monitor my kids Facebook & twitter (although ALL kids seem to have abandoned Facebook) and can’t believe the religious tweets these teens post.

The buses for the March for Life are literally packed with kids praying, singing and having a ball.

Girls and hunting are also a really big thing now believe it or not.

Either my little corner of the world is a gross misrepresentation or we’re being deliberately mislead as to what’s really going on with our youth.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

What part of the country?

Cleombrotus on March 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

And rosaries, lots of rosaries.
onesheep on March 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM
My Baba’s komboskini will find use too.
Theadora on March 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I’m assuming you’re polish. Since you mention Babas I ask the following: as a fellow Slav are Poles subject to the horrors of the Baba Hotline while growing up?

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:19 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM
What part of the country?
Cleombrotus on March 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Northeastern Ohio.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

The real problem was that the finger had a nail in it.

Jasper61 on March 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Thanks. Very interesting, and good to hear. Wish it was that way here in the Northeast. Something to work towards, though.

Cleombrotus on March 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

My friends and I used to run around the neighborhood at night with toy guns that looked real and do “missions.” We had code names and would shoot rubberbands at people’s windows. My favorite toy gun was an old bolt action WWI rifle my friend owned. This was the early 90′s.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

That’s great to hear! I’m also from NE Ohio and I’m glad there’s still sanity left somewhere in my part of the state.

ConDem on March 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Cleombrotus on March 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

The crazy part is that I really can’t seethe reason for the shift.

Some of the kids I see in church & who post religious things have patents who haven’t stepped inside a church since they lived with there own patents so I know they weren’t pushing it on the kids.

My mother lives down the street & everyone knows if your at her house at 7 pm you’re either saying the rosary or leaving & she could care less what religion you are. As kids we tried to find something, anything, to get out of it. Now my kids and their friends go to my mothers on purpose & also hang around during the day & listen to her lectures.

The only thing I can come up with is that, in my generation, without exception, we knew that, no matter what we got up to, we would always have the moral guidepost, in the form of our patents & grandparents to return to. Maybe that’s what kids are looking for that today. And when they find it they latch on to it.

That, and the hand of God himself, is all I can come up with.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM

redware on March 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM

He could also scratch his temple with his middle finger like the REB likes to do.

slickwillie2001 on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

The only thing I can come up with is that, in my generation, without exception, we knew that, no matter what we got up to, we would always have the moral guidepost, in the form of our parents & grandparents to return to.

Rebelling with a safe haven to return to describes a lot of the “hippie” generation that are now wearing the suits and being “the man” they so derided.

That, and the hand of God himself, is all I can come up with.

frank on March 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Not mutually exclusive propositions.

AesopFan on March 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM

“10-year-old who pointed his fingers like a gun suspended from school for three days”

OMG!!!!What next?, When he punches a pervert who tries to entice him into a car with a candy bar, they’ll suspend him for “gay bashing”.

MaiDee on March 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Next time, kid, create a gun out of condoms. Then sit back and enjoy.

corona79 on March 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM

We used to play war with all the stuff our dad’s brought home from WW2. We’d dig forts in the woods and do things we saw in the movies. No real guns, just the wooden ones we had carved to look like it. Dad took us hunting, too, for quail and squirrel. Today we’d be rounded up for maintaining a militia.

Kissmygrits on March 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Suspending him is so wrong. What will happen is that he will just sit at home and play GTA or some other violent game. This could be a teaching moment for him and others if handled correctly. In this case an “eye for an eye” should be imposed. He should be taken to a public place where all the other school children are and someone should point a finger at him “execution style” so that he can experience the terror and emotional horror personally. Of course there should be mental health counselors available to help not only him but the other children affected by this demonstration.

Lucy43 on March 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

So, the Second Amendment protects the right to bear arms, not bare fingers.

Barnestormer on March 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

You can’t fix stupid, but there’s no law saying you have to put it in charge of educating young people.

morganfrost on March 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

SHOOT this idiocy down!! The next school board meeting, all parents, and citizens, should arrive and display their displeasure by packing and pointing ’2-wheeled middle finger cannons’ at the incompetents that run this place!!?

BigSven on March 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Why have these school idiots not been fired yet?
(rhetorical….)

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Kissmygrits on March 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Same here. There used to be these incredibly realistic weapons made by the “confederate armory” or the “replica armory” in the late 70s and early ’80s, I saved up all the money I was able to shake my parents down for and got an mp40 Schmeisser which was probably realistic enough to get me shot by a nervous cop in the wrong circumstances. We used to go in the woods, ambush each other, bow each other up with fireworks, etc.
I was actually given a 22lr bolt action rifle when I was old enough to reach it. (15)
My high school actually had a rifle club. And a US flag and a picture of Reagan on the wall in home room…. And a smoking pit!

Wow, I’m officially old.

V7_Sport on March 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Would a just God allow people like this to run our schools?

But I thought that atheists like you asked God to leave our schools. This is what you get when atheists get their way. You got exactly what you wanted and deserved… whine somewhere else.

dominigan on March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

The obvious compromise here

…fire the teacher/administrator that can’t tell the difference between a real weapon and fingers used by elementary students. Idiots like those should be banned from being around impressionable students.

dominigan on March 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM

We need some anti gun groups to stand up against this. If it saves at least one child’s life it would be worth it.

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

It would be ok with liberals if he pulled out his Anthony and pointed it like a gun!

Sven on March 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I know of no person of faith who would do this to a 10 year old child so the school is probably run by atheists.

Herb on March 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Brock Robamney on March 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I’d actually like to see the NRA jump into this.
Although… – the 2nd Amendment only says we can keep and bear arms – nothing about fingers there….
Sooooo the kid may be SOL.

dentarthurdent on March 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Every student should be pointing their fingers at someone. As soon as they have expelled all of the students the school will be shut down due to lack of funding and the administrators/teachers will be out of a job.

TerryW on March 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Public school is the disease, tuition vouchers are the cure.

earlgrey on March 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM