Brave Sir Robin ran away (leaving his pregnant girlfriend to get mugged)

posted at 9:21 am on March 4, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

From time to time we highlight some news items here about responsible gun owners who thwart crime by way of exercising their God given Second Amendment rights, but that really only tells one half of the story. Unfortunately, there are other tales out there across America – sadly, far too many to keep track of – where people react differently and things don’t go as well. This is one of those stories, and since I first saw it on Twitter it’s really gotten under my skin.

This event involves a couple in Annapolis, Maryland who were leaving their residence on some very important business. The girl was in the final weeks of pregnancy and had gone into labor. Her “boyfriend” went out with her to head to the hospital. That’s when things took a turn for the worse.

The couple was confronted by three men with guns as they left an apartment on Copeland Street early Sunday. When the woman’s boyfriend fled, police spokeswoman Cpl. Amy Miguez says, the suspects tried to get the woman to let them into an apartment, but she didn’t have a key.

That’s when two of the men took off in the woman’s car, Miguez says.

Because this took place in Maryland, the couple was unarmed. (Let’s face it… if you find anyone not wearing a police or military uniform in Annapolis who has a gun, odds are probably better than 99% that they’re a criminal.) So I can sympathize to a certain extent how alarmed they must have felt when confronted by three armed thugs. But the bothersome elements of this story don’t end with the bad guys or the lack of concealed carry permits in the state. Let’s revisit one phrase from the story.

When the woman’s boyfriend fled…

You ran away? While your girlfriend was standing there in labor facing down three armed hoodlums? This shoots right past the idea of whether or not you might have wanted to marry the girl after getting her in a family way (that’s a question for another day, but props for at least volunteering to go to the hospital), but having done so, how did you leave her there on the sidewalk while you bolted down the street? Yes, your safety was in danger, but for some people there comes a point in life where a man is put to a galvanizing test, and this was your moment.

Another phrase stands out.

the suspects tried to get the woman to let them into an apartment, but she didn’t have a key…

You not only abandoned her in the face of imminent violence, but you took the keys, too? She couldn’t even get back into your home. And once the car was stolen, she was essentially left on the sidewalk, wracked with labor pains. How does one wake up in the morning after delivering such a performance in a crisis and even look in the mirror?

I wish there was some overarching, positive message or lesson to take away from all this. Sadly, there is not. The good news is that the police later arrested two of the muggers and the woman made it to a local hospital. No word is available on the location or status of the “boyfriend.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Head fake just for you. ; )

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Either that or my time machine is on the fritz again.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Over

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

It is quite telling that the hard core progressives here dislike me more than conservatives.

HonestLib on March 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM

You’re more conservative …sorry, less liberal than the Republican leadership. Acknowledging your existence would validate an opposing point of view.

Fenris on March 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

These threads are a real painful mess. I wonder if HA is even aware of the issues? ; )

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I can’t shake the image of this guy rushing into his mommy’s apartment, changing into his red plaid onesie, settling down on the couch with the hot cocoa his mommy just made, and telling her between wracking sobs just how horrible the whole thing was.

There, there, snowflake, you did the only thing any boy could do in a situation like that.

Ridicule aside, biologically speaking, men are programmed to defend, to the end, their women and offspring. I know it sounds gauche (their women?), but it reflects the hard-wired imperative of defending their gene pool. Women and children first, right? In times past, this sorry excuse for a man would be ridiculed and ostracized. In times past, of course, shame also meant something, but now, it’s illegal to hurt someone’s feelings.

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I don’t get the point of this commentary. The only thing that matters is no one was killed or even hurt. If they got into the apartment, maybe they get killed. If the man stayed he might have been shot. It ended well. That’s all that matters. I find it impossible to second guess what happened, only knowing the story third hand.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

The quality of Rambo’s these days is really slipping.

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

But as others have pointed out, she is more likely to marry Uncle Sam than this loser. She isn’t his woman in any real sense and that is a function of her choices. She chose this worthless creep, chose to have sex with him, chose to maintain a relationship with him despite what he was. She got what she wanted. A coward who puts himself first, and her and her child (he obviously doesn’t think of it as his) a distant second.

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

boyfriend is the key word. If he were committed to her and the kid, he would have already married her.

pgrossjr on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM
The quality of Rambo’s these days is really slipping.

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Even Rambo probably had a brother who was more like PJ boy – as someone indicated earlier about melle and her sisters.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

If you are talking evolution, the wussie’s response fits–survival of the fittest. There are too many woman available for propagating the species for a dude to waste his sperm on one chick.

davidk on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I don’t care how gauche it sounds. My wife is MY wife, and if some punk wants her, he can’t have her. He might put a hole in me, but I WILL live long enough to take him with me. I promise you, he will have to pry my twitching corpse off of himself to get that last breath, and it will taste like my blood.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Wow. I read this on a news site yesterday. Not one mention of the guy running away. What a cad.

TerryW on March 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

The quality of Rambo’s these days is really slipping.

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Lmao!

KMC1 on March 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I’m guessing here, not sarcasm? Very hard to say when they can’t return for a simple enough question.

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Perhaps not as simple as some would believe.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Let me try my hand at the MSM spin on this story:

The three gunmen were evil gun owners and probably part of a Tea Party Militia. The boyfriend, knowing how horrific our healthcare system is (at least until Obamacare is fully implemented) ran to begin the ordeal of checking his girlfriend into the Hospital. Obviously, he took the keys with him because she was in no condition to drive. The pregnant woman (who was recently freed from job lock) had no problem handling the Tea Party zealot gunmen who stole her car to show that they are climate change deniers as well. Another example of the war on women – back to you, Chris.

ghostwalker1 on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I see a lot of comments relating the runner and the robbers indirectly to Obama.

So, what ya’ll sayin’ here is that you’re certain that Obama wasn’t there, huh.

Tsar of Earth on March 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

But it wasn’t his wife, we don’t know how long he has been her “boyfriend”, and it’s not even clear if it is his kid. That said. I still think it was not very manly of him to run away.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

So, what ya’ll sayin’ here is that you’re certain that Obama wasn’t there, huh.

Tsar of Earth on March 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Well I think it is wrong to blame obama. We all know that the great won is blameless in all things. I don’t wish to defend his worship but it is clearly the fault of Bush.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

davidk on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Bush? Jeez, that sounds so inappropriate talking about future offspring! Stop giggling! Anyway, choosing to defend the offspring that actually exist over the offspring that might or might not exist in the future seems like a logical choice. And biologically, we’re more than our genes. We’re also social creatures, and bonds of family are (supposedly) very strong.

I think that for me, the take-away for this story is to wonder whether liberal/progressive social engineering has well and truly erased the behaviors that have defined gender roles since time immemorial. Of course, we might find out that this boyfriend is a Marine and inexplicably had a failure of courage, or that the real story is something different, or whatever. But I don’t think so. I fear that this “guy” is your typical example of what passes for a man these days. A product of a society that goes out of its way to tell boys that their violent proclivities have no good purpose (not in rough play, not in sports, not in competition in business, and definitely not in defending your family when that is properly the job of certified social workers who want to deal with the core issues that almost certainly absolve the muggers of any real responsibility), and that boys instead should aspire to be metrosexual creampuffs.

Pajama boy is your ideal! Let’s make a line of (in)action figures for the boys to play with. Pull the string and Pajama Boys cries and wets himself.

SteveJ on March 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Perhaps not as simple as some would believe.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Okay. Straight up again then. Was the comment intended as sarcasm. Yes or No?

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

But it wasn’t his wife….

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Doesn’t matter. Wife, girlfriend, butt-ugly chick next door, total stranger at the bus stop. Real men protect the women around them.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

This smacks of Laci Peterson and Carol DeMaiti Stewart. Wouldn’t be surprised if the BF set this up and the “robbers” got cold feet about shooting a pregnant woman in the stomach.

Maddie on March 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

HonestLib on March 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM

You’re very much what was known at one time as a “classical liberal”….. the one’s who built this country on freedom of the individual.

itsspideyman on March 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Real men protect the women around them.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Metrosexual Marylanders don’t have to. Not in there DNA.

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Ooops, should be, their.

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM

The only possible justification for the boyfriend to flee is to come back with cops.

Truth is, there is far too much cowardice among young men these days. A good example was the mass-shooting at Virginia Tech a few years ago. One male student recounts watching in horror from under a desk while the shooter walked past him and shot a female student in the head. That begs the question–if the shooter turned his back to the male student, why didn’t the male student try to tackle him from behind? If there was a struggle, other male students could have attacked the shooter and disarmed him.

Meanwhile, a 60-year-old professor tried to barricade the door of his classroom with desks and chairs. The older generation fights, the younger generation cowers under desks…

Steve Z on March 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Are you for real?

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Some posters here act like they knew what happened, and they jumped on the “coward” bandwagon that Jazz and others painted. You ever read a newspaper story that you have personal knowledge of? They always get it wrong. These people lived in this neighborhood, I think they know better than the second-guessers.

On this HotAir thread we have, to put it charitably, some gullible people, more likely stupid people, and you can’t fix stupid. Here’s an excerpt from the Baltimore Sun:

The 24-year-old woman told police she and her boyfriend were about to leave for the hospital early Sunday when three men armed with two shotguns and a handgun approached them as they were getting into their car.

The armed men confronted the woman’s boyfriend, but he fled and called for help.

One of the men then told the woman who was standing outside the car: “Open the door. Go get the money. Do you want to die? Do you think we playing?,” according the police report. The woman told police said the men kept asking: “Where’s the key?”

The news reports seem to indicate police were there in minutes. If he’d stayed with her, and they demanded the apartment key, and they all went in, their chances of dying go way up. Or if he refuses to give them the key.

It could just as well have been written, “the male victim took control of the situation, risking his own life to save that of his female companion, escaping long enough to summon the police, who quickly arrested the two perpetrators. The quick-thinking hero likely saved both of their lives.”

You want to go with the Jazz storyline, go ahead. Or, you can think for yourself. I thought that’s what conservatives did.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Yes, your safety was in danger, but for some people there comes a point in life where a man person is put to a galvanizing test, and this was your moment.

FIFY, Jazz…

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM </blockquote

Yeah hindsight is 20/20, but the MAN didn't know their intentions. He had no idea if they would take out his escape on his girlfriend or KILL AND RAPE HER SECONDS after he left. Face it, you can dress it up any way you want, but the man left her to fend for herself. Furthermore, most of us know (or are) men who would never leave a woman in her most vulnerable state with three armed men- HOPING that they wouldn't KILL HER OR RAPE her while you ran for help. Hero, my azz..

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Jazz:

We’ve spent years and billions teaching people to be sheep.

You really expect sheep to behave differently?

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Let’s face it. If Maryland didn’t have Soviet-style gun laws, the perps wouldn’t have wanted to accept the inherent risks involved in trying to rob someone at gunpoint.

Not even low-IQ street thugs like getting shot.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

No MARRIAGE, no STRINGS.

Right, Mr. Boyfriend?

This woman needs a MAN – a real MAN.

Pork-Chop on March 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Not even low-IQ street thugs like getting shot.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Bingo!

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Okay. Straight up again then. Was the comment intended as sarcasm. Yes or No?

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I’m at a loss as to how asking the question again makes it simple.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Odd, but the old saying attributed to Gloria Steinem comes to mind, “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle”.

The feminists have won. Mr. Schwinn-boy proved it.

Mason on March 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

He he.. Sorry, I am well and truly taken by a man I know would die rather than leaving me in labor to face down three thugs.

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM

And you are a good person, so I’m sure you would do the same for him.

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Wait here. I’ll go get help

How exactly did our fearless hero risk his own life as he quickly dashed away in the other direction?

I grant you that it was quick thinking!

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

And you are a good person, so I’m sure you would do the same for him.

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Yeppers, I have a CCP and a .22 just for the occasion. :)

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Are you for real?

ladyingray on March 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM<

All too.

katy the mean old lady on March 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

@ LashRambo
Oh sorry, missed this kernel of wisdom.

itsspideyman on March 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I’m going to “sort of” give Lash’ a little-bitty-wee-dab of the benefit of the ‘unknown’ here.
There has got to be some more follow-up details on this story.

My first thought was that the boyfriend recognized the armed men, and knew they were after him, specifically … for some kind of “debt”.

I don’t know that of course, it’s just the first thing that came to mind.
IF the boyfriend had NO reason to believe he was being “targeted”, and that it was a “random act”, then he’s as bad as he looks.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

While I attempt to throw in a few over the top statements you go for the straight out subtle satire. Well done. I salute you madam, sir or generic gender-less it.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM

The boyfriend, realizing men and women are completely equal, fled leaving the woman to fend for herself confidently knowing she could handle the situation with girl power.

Mitochondrion on March 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Wait here. I’ll go get help

I grant you that it was quick thinking!

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Furthermore, the perps weren’t caught in the act, and the police didn’t miraculously show up to save the pregnant woman. They were caught a little while later in the stolen vehicle.

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I should have also added that this incident proves beyond all doubt, that . . . . . MARYLAND STATE POLITICS ‘SEVERELY VACUUMS’ BIG TIME “DONKEY”.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I grant you that it was quick thinking!

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

He risked getting shot in the back. It takes a brave man/person to turn their back to three armed men and run off screaming like a girly man. Most likely he also crapped his pants which would have thrown off the aim of his attackers due to laughter. Good strategic thinking on his part.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

That was all just part of the clever plan of our intrepid hero, who TRICKED them into stealing that car so they could then be nabbed by the police! /sarc

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Brings to mind this quote.

When cowardice becomes a fashion its adherents are without number, and it masquerades as forbearance, reasonableness and whatnot.

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Yeah hindsight is 20/20, but the MAN didn’t know their intentions. He had no idea if they would take out his escape on his girlfriend or KILL AND RAPE HER SECONDS after he left. Face it, you can dress it up any way you want, but the man left her to fend for herself. Furthermore, most of us know (or are) men who would never leave a woman in her most vulnerable state with three armed men- HOPING that they wouldn’t KILL HER OR RAPE her while you ran for help. Hero, my azz..

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM

We just don’t know. More likely, after he ran to get help (and he COULD have been shot in the back), they realized their robbery plans were a bust, coming apart.

Life is tough, isn’t it? Unless you’re the “horse whisperer” for urban animal robbers with shotguns, you’re pretty screwed in this situation. He did something, that may well have taken some courage, one report said he got help, and it was over within minutes. Who am I to second guess him.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

He risked getting shot in the back.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM

GMTA. OK, not alike, but, whatever.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Who am I to second guess him.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

When you say you don’t know what you (or anyone else) would do, you make cowardice the default position.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Fine have it your way. Listed.

Bmore on March 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Dump him honey and head to a RED STATE to fina a ….MAN.

One who carries while his lovable woman can rely on him to protect her.

KirknBurker on March 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Exactly, when did “risking being shot in the back” become an act of bravery, especially when you are leaving not only a woman, but a woman in LABOR in the dust? The fact that the first instinct isn’t to find this guy abhorrent is telling about our society and where it is headed.

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You can compromise, work with, teach, debate, and generally argue with stupid…

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I respectfully disagree. To quote Ron White, you can’t fix stupid.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Somewhat lost in this story is the fact that because of some of the strictest gun control laws in the country ensured the victims were defenseless, and despite those laws 3 not-yet-deceased Trayvons had no problem brandishing illegal guns in public (early morning) to rob a couple on the street.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

When Jim Bowie was killed at the Alamo, his mother was informed of his death, to which she remarked, “I’ll wager no wounds were found in his back.”

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

They were there long enough to steal a car. And you made my point EXACTLY. The man didn’t know their intentions and yet he willingly left his not just pregnant but in labor girlfriend there with three armed men.

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I guess these thugs didn’t get the memo that guns are outlawed in Annapolis! I’m sure the couple would have been safe if there was a “Gun free zone!” sign nearby.

Gun free zones really do work! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYL0yN110go

:-P

It’s a shame because Annapolis is a nice town. As usual, the poison known as “liberalism” has destroyed another nice place.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Who am I to second guess him.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I take your point, it’s a good one, there are things we must be willing to die for. It’s my interest in “true crime” stories that makes me think this is a poor hill to die on. Crime isn’t neat and tidy like the thread wants it to be. It’s random, it’s meaningless. It’s sick people bumping up against society.

Who’s to say this guy didn’t do exactly what was called for to achieve the best outcome. Sometimes you have to ask others for help instead of doing it all yourself. He did something, and it worked out.

What gets me most is people here jumping on some media narrative. They should know better. It reminds me of the Groucho Marx joke — “What if everyone thought the way you did?” “Then I’d be a fool to think otherwise!”. Think otherwise. Think for yourself.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Who am I to second guess him.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

When you say you do know what you would do, you make a tenuous claim that will probably never be tested.

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM

a pregnant woman was held captive by armed men.
anyone that runs away and leaves her or condones it is a coward not worth listening to or speaking to.

dmacleo on March 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Gun free zones really do work! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYL0yN110go
Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

That’s some really powerful “Truth to Power” right there.
It kind of makes me ashamed that I have a door mat that says, “Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.”

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Sorry, but you can’t blame people for the default interpretation of cowardice. If the guy wants to make the case that what he did was for her safety, overall, let him make the case.

But in this age, “women and children first” no longer holds true for a lot of people, and this is most likely one of those who thinks he’d be stupid to risk his life for someone else.

In that Aurora, Colorado shooting, one guy fled the theater, got in his car, and drove off, abandoning his pregnant girlfriend and young children. Another guy stepped up and helped them escape, getting shot in the leg in the process. So it’s not like there’s no one left who would stand up for women and children.

Which guy would you rather be?

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I’m reminded of the Jerry Sandusky case, where one of the assistant coaches (can’t recall a name) testified that he walked into the locker room showers and saw Jerry sodomizing a 10-year-old boy. He immediately left and – this is the “WTF” moment – called his father to ask him what he should do. This shriveled wuss was told by his equally shriveled father to do and say nothing, so as not to cause trouble. When confronted on his actions, he gave up the (now) standard, “You don’t know for sure what you would do in that situation” response.

In a sane world, Jerry wouldn’t have made it out of the locker room under his own power. We’ve successfully bred a generation of scaredy-cats.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Well the girlfriend should have put more thought into having a boyfriend who was more than just “sensitive”. You don’t have to be a big guy, but at least display manly behavior in a crisis by protecting the woman carrying your child.

This is another example of the sissification of America. This guy in a healthy society would be shunned by all men, and not find anymore love from women.

William Eaton on March 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Which guy would you rather be?

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Based on the posts, I think we can guess.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I know what I would do, because I’ve already decided what I would NOT do.

There are some things you just don’t do.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You just have to think out of the box. It was obvious that it was a dangerous place. After all there where three illegally armed men right there. In running away he knew his gal would be safe from others because she was with three armed men at the time. Not only did he save her by running away to get help. He left her with three armed men that most likely would not have allowed other armed men to get near them.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM

LOL. You are really twisted…..

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

The guy made the right decision. The robbers were much less likely to hurt the pregnant woman. By leaving he deescalated the situation and put himself in a position to actually help hi girlfriend by calling for help.

Retreat is sometimes the best tactical decision.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

LOL. You are really twisted…..

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM

LOL– I like her twistedness. :)

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM

LOL. You are really twisted…..

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Well, the title of the post begins, “Brave Sir Robin Ran Away.” So I guess it’s appropriate.

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Retreat is sometimes the best tactical decision.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Ugh seriously? They had no compunction about robbing pregnant woman. You think pregnant women don’t get killed or raped, ESPECIALLY when their dumb azz boyfriend takes the KEYS to the stuff the armed thugs want.

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on March 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

In an emergency, all able-bodied people, irrespective of gender, should be trying to help those who can’t help themselves: babies, elderly persons, and the disabled. Then, all able-bodied people should be trying to help each other and themselves. That’s the responsibility we all have towards one another.

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Brave Sir Robin ran away (leaving his pregnant girlfriend to get mugged)

Jazz Shaw on March 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM

If the girlfriend was pregnant, then we can pretty much assume that Sir Robin got to experience some “peril”.
Galahad was ‘ripped-off’, by Lancelot.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Retreat is sometimes the best tactical decision.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Ya sure – thugs like those in Georgia who shot a baby in the face while robbing the mom clearly showed that criminals just wouldn’t want to hurt a pregnant woman or baby…..

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Or mine: “Is there life after death? Trespass here and find out!”

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Yeah, you’re right. The guy was a liberal so he was likely too stupid to know how to use a cellphone. I’m surprised he did anything at all; liberals want everything done for them.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

LOL– I like her twistedness. :)

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Yes – good LOL type stuff.
A female Bishop perhaps?

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Retreat is sometimes the best tactical decision.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Well, retreating from manhood is certainly working well for you.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Galahad was ‘ripped-off’, by Lancelot.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I would definitely want to face the peril – even if it is too perilous….

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I would definitely want to face the peril – even if it is too perilous….

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM

At least I would rather face the peril then be forced to eat Robin’s minstrels.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Meh, he should have farted in their general direction.

HumpBot Salvation on March 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Retreat is sometimes the best tactical decision.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

In February 1978 Hall and Mack Ruffin decided to steal a car to use in a robbery. Spotting a twenty-one-year-old housewife, who was seven months pregnant, in a grocery store parking lot, Hall forced her into her car and drove that car to a secluded wooded area. Ruffin followed in his car. After reaching their destination, both men raped the victim, after which she was beaten and shot and her body dragged further into the woods. Later that day, they drove the victim’s car to a convenience store where they killed a deputy sheriff. The handgun shown to have killed the female victim was found under the deputy’s body.

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Better yet, sic the Rabbit of Caerbannog at ‘em. If the thugs were to kill it, the PETA weenies would have gone after them.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Gee, thanks for the lecture!

If all they wanted was to break into their apartment,, why didn’t he just fling the apartment key across the street and bundle her into the car and drive off?

Maddie on March 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Unless she just told him it was his brother’s kid, not his, how can anyone have any sympathy for this cowardice?

On second thought, even if she had just told him it was his brother’s kid, no excuse for running. Protect her if you can, and kick your brother’s ass later. After all, the kid would still be your nephew.

novaculus on March 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM

At least I would rather face the peril then be forced to eat Robin’s minstrels.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

How true.
But in a perilous situtation, I would just feel duty bound to adminster the necessary spankings – it’s just the right thing to do…

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

This was easily the funniest and most brilliant comment I’ve read in a long time. Especially about claiming she had her period at nine months pregnant. Lol

Firefly_76 on March 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Retreat is sometimes the best tactical decision.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Well, retreating from manhood is certainly working well for you.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

The boyfriend was forced to choose between ‘worse’, and ‘worse yet’, by the ( E X P L E T I V E ) State of Maryland.

When the government limits us to these kinds of “choices”, then it’s time to say “to hell with the government”.

That’s where I would focus the attention on this news story.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

From the guy who will only marry catalogue brides likely trafficked from foreign countries, this is not a surprise.

Firefly_76 on March 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

That’s why one of my CCWs is a holy hand-grenade.
Still working on getting my count just right though…

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

listens2glenn on March 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I believe the proper terminology for libtard-speak would “more worser’ and “mostest worstest”.

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Firefly_76 on March 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Well, hey, I’ve heard some girls will do ANYTHING for a ticket to the US and a green card….

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Firefly_76 on March 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Bishop – Do you have a sister?
Is her name Lucy?

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Who am I to second guess him.

LashRambo on March 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Not me, obviously.

And you are a good person, so I’m sure you would do the same for him.

bmmg39 on March 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Well, I certainly hope she would defend him when he’s in labor. That would be pretty historic. ;)

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Exactly.

I know what I would do, because I’ve already decided what I would NOT do.

CurtZHP on March 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

This is one of those things that many people have already decided on, while others have never given a thought to it. I would guess that your reading habits trended to Louis L’Amour and Robin Hood – where you learned of outmoded concepts like chivalry, and occassionally had fantasies in your head of being the white knight that rides to the rescue. I’ll bet you even took up a stick and pretended to be Errol Flynn while your buddies played pirates or the Sheriff of Nottingham’s men. The key is that you internalized an idea that there was some line that none would pass.

The same thing is done for pilots in training with ejection decisions. Since everything is happening pretty fast and you might not be able to evaluate all the factors in some circumstances, you draw some lines – this altitutde, this position in the landing sequence, this attitude – which will determine whether you ride it out or punch. Teaching things like chivalry to boys crreates the same sort of attitude, where you’ve got at least some inkling beforehand that there is a line that should not be crossed, and when it is, you act.

A female Bishop perhaps?

dentarthurdent on March 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

No, no, no, none of that! We’re conservatives around here! ;)

GWB on March 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Well, retreating from manhood is certainly working well for you.

Kingfisher on March 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

So it would have been better to stay? How could he have helped her by staying? Seriously, have you given this a minute of thought?

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Firefly_76 on March 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Thank you.
I find that most people only read the first couple of sentences and then go off half cocked attacking me. If they would take the time and read what I write they would see that many times I’m just having some fun. They also seem to ignore many of my other posts in the thread that in most cases contradict everything I’ve said in the post that set them off. I have the most fun in global warming and gun related threads.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

sharrukin on March 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

By your logic, if he stayed he would have been killed. How can he help her if he is dead?

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Firefly_76 on March 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Russia produces feminine women. And judging between our president and Putin, I would say more masculine men.

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Bill C on March 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Well he certainly didn’t help her by LEAVING WITH THE KEYS.

melle1228 on March 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM