“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Have we, at last, hit rock bottom?

posted at 7:21 pm on March 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’m tempted to change the headline to “Worst Episode Ever” but I already feel too much like Comic Book Guy in these grumble threads.

Actual e-mail sent to me by a friend last night:

At this point Kirkman and Company have to be f***ing with us, right? They know ppl think the show is too slow, but they also know we won’t stop watching. “So eff you here is an hour of Norman Reedus and what’s her name doing nothing. You will watch this and be thankful.”

Right. If you made it this far, past the snoozer of season two and Rick mumbling endlessly about Stuff and Things, you’re in for good. That was the true terror of last night’s episode — not the zombies but the realization that they could spend the rest of the season showing Daryl and Beth holding fart contests and you’d still be there on Sunday nights, dutifully waiting for the payoff you keep telling yourself is coming. There’s no way out, just more mindless consumption. We have met the zombies and they are us.

Here’s what’s happening. The writers got loads of good buzz (even from me) last fall for the Governor storyline. Instead of hopping every three minutes from one member of the core group to another, they zeroed in on one guy with an interesting backstory and gave him some interesting new (emphasis on new) characters to play off. It worked — so well that they’ve decided to repeat the formula by zeroing in on … the same old stiffs from the core group we’ve been watching for three years. Evidently this weekly slow bleed will not end until every major character or pair of major characters has had an hour to him- or herself. Judging from the sneak preview last night, next week is Maggie’s turn. After that, who knows? Tyrese? The little girls? Zombie Andrea?

All of this is being done in the name of character development so let me repeat the question I asked last week: Which characters do you feel have “developed”? Maybe Carl’s, a little, but that’s more a function of age than hidden depth. A teenaged character necessarily develops as he assumes adult tasks. What about the rest? What important fact did you learn about them that you didn’t know before? Daryl had a brutal childhood; Beth was more sheltered. You knew that already, even if you didn’t “know” it. You knew that Michonne was badly emotionally scarred. You knew that Glenn is devoted to Maggie. Character development typically involves surprises; the character reveals a side of him- or herself that you didn’t suspect was there. Which member of the core group (except Carol, whose own development happened earlier in the season) has done anything lately to surprise you?

The only bit that interested me in last night’s show was the evidence of murder in the country club. There are three types of characters in most zombie dramas: The scrappy, well-meaning survivors, the warlords, and of course the zombies. The “Rich Bitch” sign hung on one of the dead women in the club suggested a fourth kind, which surely would exist but which you don’t often see in these things — namely, opportunists. Someone or some group apparently decided to use the zombie apocalypse to take revenge on the local millionaires, not for any strategic reason but simply to indulge their id against a disfavored group at a moment when they knew they wouldn’t be punished for it. A better show would have explored that, but instead we got Beth sobbing over a peach schnapps. Oh well. See you next week!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Allahpundit, why do you keep torturing yourself by watching this show? Let it go. It’s time.

WesternActor on March 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM

so the show itself now is ….walking dead???
hehe

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

At some point you need to put up a poll asking how many HotAir readers actually watch this show. I’d love to know since I haven’t seen a single episode.

Stoic Patriot on March 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Hot Air had nothing on the Camp’s tax reform plan last week. Nothing on Ryan’s critique of the war on poverty today. But we get Walking Dead grumble threads at least.

Mark1971 on March 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I watch it but I’m growing increasingly tired of it and I must say I enjoyed it in the first several seasons

jaywemm on March 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I watch it and “I DON’T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!”

tomas on March 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Wait a minute, AP, are you complaining that a zombie show is too pensive for your tastes? Talking is boring, but so is stabbing the same zombie extras in every episode. Once you have seen one knife through the eye socket, you’ve seen them all.

HugoDrax on March 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Allah, I couldn’t disagree more. I really enjoyed this episode.

Here’s why: We finally got to “meet” Beth. She’s been on the show for years. but her entire existence has been as a foil for someone else–usually Maggie. But finally we get to see what her personality is like and understand why she is the way she is. So it answers one of your questions on who has developed. Answer: Beth, and the proof is this episode.

On top of that, I really enjoy what I see the writers doing with her. Basically, she is the opposite of every stereotype we would have of her. For example, we see young, pretty blond girl who loses a boyfriend, but instead of being a crying mess, she says (paraphrasing) “he was a guy I met in high school. Was I supposed to be with him for the rest of my life?” When she loses the next boyfriend, she doesn’t cry and we think “oh, she’s gone all dead-inside like Michonne.” But instead she gives us maybe the most rational explanation about not expecting people to live.

The major hint about what the writers are doing with her is that she started the episode going all survivalist making fire with a lens.

Anyone, I could drone on, but I think making her normal and well-adjusted is a creative way the authors are screwing with our expectations.

Nessuno on March 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I mostly gave up after the episode where they open the barn on the farm to slaughter the zombies inside and the little girl walks out last. That was a great episode but downhill after that, and now that Spartacus is over I don’t what to do with myself.

Bishop on March 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I have to keep thinking the writers are setting us up for something as good as the gov simply because if they don’t do that, the show really is a dried turd at this point.

Diluculo on March 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I was just really, really, really hoping Daryl and Beth would hook up by the end. A drunken tryst, perhaps?

Man, that was a boring episode.

mjk on March 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Ya’ know, nobody has to read, or comment, on this subject.

It appears that some folks will whine about anything.

Maybe y’all can head on over to the hagfish’s place and circle commiserate with her.

It was still a pretty good way to blow an hour.

cozmo on March 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Allah doesn’t realize that the characters continue to have to deal with the realities of zombie life as well as each other. He wants all the characters set on autopilot. It was a good episode with two very different characters stuck with each other, dealing with their own demons and then sharing them to understand each other. Thank God Allah’s not writing the show, or it would end up like f******g Lost.

Dongemaharu on March 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Oh, I was kind of disappointed that they didn’t get naked.

Y’all know she wanted to.

And it seems that there are plenty of womenfolk who want to see him that way.

cozmo on March 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I don’t watch this show but the Husband likes it. Looks to me like people are just messing with the zombies at this point. It’s not like they can run or jump.

Cindy Munford on March 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

You all hit rock bottom for watching this tripe.

Walter L. Newton on March 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Seriously?

turfmann on March 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

AP is spot on.

TWD sucks and sucks bad.

It does such gonzo numbers I hope some other network will make a good zombie show with real writers so I can kick TWD to the damn curb.

RarestRX on March 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

It was the bus boys and caddys. Post Apocalypse Marxism: Red and Dead.

Blake on March 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

HugoDrax on March 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I loved it. I agree. Constant slashing gets old. I love the dramatic character development.

TWD is not a zombie show. It’s a drama based on the backdrop of zombies.

blatantblue on March 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM

The most entertaining part of Walking Dead Monday is reading all the posts from the idiots who don’t watch the show and just come here to whine.

I liked hearing about Daryl’s life before zombies. I’m hoping that next week, the psycho girl gets eaten by the Easter Bunny.

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Cindy Munford on March 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

On Sunday nights, I also become a WD ‘widow’.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

When you’re watching a show & you wish you were being torn to shreds by zombies you just know something’s wrong. I gave up after last season.

I never can remember characters names but here’s my list of those who make me want to open my own veins:

1). The blond on walking dead who wanted to protect the camp & her girlfriend.
2). Raylan’s ungreatful wife on Justified.
3). And this is a big one, Walter White’s wife.
4). Dexters sister and that old dude who was her bf.

Character I’d most like to meet in person & in character: Claire Dumphy (sp)

frank on March 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I’m a season behind at this point. I thought season 3 was excellent. Really, Daryl & Beth? He’s at least twice her age (yeah I know in the zombie apocalypse age doesn’t matter). He also needs a better stylist; just not pulling off that hairdo anymore. AP, you’re really bumming me out with these grumble posts. I was excited for season 4

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Oh & Maggs in Justified as well. Would love to party with Maggs & drink some of her Apple Pie.

frank on March 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Grumble grumble grumble! What the hell? Darryl crap and nothing with Abe Ford??? And Dr. Mullet???

Lanceman on March 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM

He could go to Suzanne Martinez’s stylist, but I’m betting he would be one of the first to be bit. He would probably invite it.

Frank: Most annoying character goes to Rick’s wife, Lori. I cheered when her son shot her. I was mad when they killed off Shane.

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I liked it when it was less a drama and more a bloodletting of zombie heads.

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Zombies are the bottom of the undead food chain. Of course they make for lame programming…

JohnGalt23 on March 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I would in fact pay quite a hefty sum to party with Maggs, Claire Dumphy. And Dewey Crow!!!. Bold font viz Bmore’s excellent tutorial he is so graciously putting together for we who are tech challenged.

frank on March 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM

This was the most boring episode of the entire series. I hope they ‘re done developing characters for a while. They need some action! very disappointed with the show.

shubalstearns on March 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

She’s a cutie.

Man. + Woman. +Boredom. + Moonshine. = Sex?

Come on!

portlandon on March 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Walking Dead… the show set in a world where zombies have wiped out 99% of humanity, but somehow can’t easily finish off the remaining 1%. Because Rick and his crew are just tougher opponents than the US Army, I guess.

Jon0815 on March 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I almost miss the Governor. Gimme two more episodes like this and I’ll go see David Morrissey at ComicCon on the 24th.

Lanceman on March 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Why watch if you hate?

ladyingray on March 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Liberals post Zombie apocalypse still hate the Koch Brothers, Halliburton, Big Oil, and the Rich.

portlandon on March 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM
HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Yes she was a pain in the tail.

Btw your handle made me laugh so hard my kids looked at my like I’m nuts:)

frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

The “Rich B1tch” sign hung on one of the dead women in the club suggested a fourth kind, which surely would exist but which you don’t often see in these things — namely, opportunists. Someone or some group apparently decided to use the zombie apocalypse to take revenge on the local millionaires, not for any strategic reason but simply to indulge their id against a disfavored group at a moment when they knew they wouldn’t be punished for it.

portlandon on March 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Got to tell you, AP, I gave up Walking Dead in favor of True Detective and haven’t looked back. Of course, that comes to an end next week.

Il Padrino on March 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I find “Talking Dead”, the after show better than the actual show sometimes.

portlandon on March 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Stoic Patriot on March 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I watched 3 or 4 shows in the first season … that was it ….

conservative tarheel on March 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Which one is Shane? I’m no good at remembering character names.

frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

See you next week? The crap you say! I haven’t watched since the zombies stopped rotting past the point of still being ambulatory. New zombies? Come on! Survivors kill them immediately, and yet there’s still hordes of them out there!

IloiloKano on March 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Which one is Shane? I’m no good at remembering character names.

frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

The one who was banging Rick’s annoying wife before he turned up.

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM

You guys are just to uppity to watch.

tomas on March 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Allah, I couldn’t disagree more. I really enjoyed this episode.

Nessuno on March 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Agreed!

You also throw in that we find out Daryl was a complete loser walking in his brother’s shadow before the world went to hell. Now he’s become someone who’s actually worth a damn and he hates himself for not saving everybody at the prison (as he thinks.) Beth isn’t the frail, ready-to-give-up, little girl anymore. She’s accepted the world as it is, and is willing to do what it takes to survive.

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the show. It’s also the first one to have only 2 main characters the entire episode. IMHO, Allah doesn’t know what the **** he’s talking about when it comes to this show. I don’t have unusual show tastes either. I was/am a huge fan of: 24 (had me literally grabbing my seat cushion at times), Dexter (it doesn’t get any better than John Lithgow as the Trinity Killer in Season 4; the series finale sucked), Breaking Bad (even saw the episode of The Soup where Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul came on, screwed up a batch of meth and instead made peanut brittle), Spartacus (what’s not to love about gratuitous gladiator violence?), Homeland (all I can say is brilliance).

UnstChem on March 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

It would be sad if I cared, I hope you find something to do to console yourself.

Cindy Munford on March 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Which one is Shane? I’m no good at remembering character names.
frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM
The one who was banging Rick’s annoying wife before he turned up.
HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Oh, ok. IMHO Rick should have thanked him for taking her off his hands!

List of my favorites on TWD:

Black guy & his son who saved Rick in S1.
Old geezer with floppy hat. Guy was preachy but I like him.
Chubby black guy who got ate.
Crossbow guy and his brother
Chinese kid
The doctor from the farm

frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Cindy Munford on March 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It’s tough but…somehow…I always seem to find the strength inside me to carry on. *wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Tv characters I’d loveto see have their own spinoffs:

Buddy Garety (sp) Friday Night Lights.
Maggs: if only she hadn’t already known the mystery.
Better call Saul
Dewey Crow
Raylan’s boss
The two tweeker kids from Breaking Bad
Ava from Justified
The screw up middle aged tweeker from Justified
And Claire Dumphy

frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Yikes folks. Lori was a little annoying at first but she got better over time. Anyone who didn’t bawl like a baby at how she died – seriously awful!

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Oh I guess hot air doesn’t like emojis. So I was saying Andrea was the worst character ever written on a tv series. She made Merle look good.

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I agree that this season so far has been a bit slow and unexciting. I have great hopes for the new characters and the concept of Terminus. (But somebody important needs to die soon.)

Doesn’t every TWD thread have a grumble in it? Isn’t it just AP’s shtick?

jazzuscounty on March 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Hershel, no doubt. Lori? Cannot manage a tear. Maybe because it’s an effing show, man!

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Hershel?!?!?! I haven’t gotten there yet. Oh well

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Hershel?!?!?! I haven’t gotten there yet. Oh well

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Sorry.

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM

It’s ok :-) my fault for not keeping up.

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Well, it is about zombies, for criminy’s sake!

nukemhill on March 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Aw, come on. Sure, it may have been a little bit boring, but there was a symbolic point to this episode.

Prior the zombiepocalypse Beth was a sheltered innocent. Her drinking and survivalist attitude was an acknowledgement that her past is now fully behind her.

Daryl admitted that in the past he did not care about much of anything. Now he shown that he knows he could have done more to save others. His past is fully behind him.

Daryl can’t rely on Rick’s leadership, and Beth can’t rely on daddy’s comfort anymore. These two are not the same people that escaped from the prison.

erewenguy on March 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM

It’s ok :-) my fault for not keeping up.

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM

You will see when you get there. The first season is still the best.

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Could be worse. It could be a Chris Matthews thread.

S. D. on March 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM

2). Raylan’s ungreatful wife on Justified.

Yeah, but her hotness factor mitigated that pretty much entirely. Holy crap, what a babe.

nukemhill on March 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Why do torment yourselves with this slop? Start watching True Detective, or Netflix Breaking Bad. These will be hours well spent.

Thomas More on March 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Yes AP, the pity party was very lame.

Hog Wild on March 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Yep, you thought last week’s was really weak, (tho’ I enjoyed it) but another one like this and I’ll wake up a zombie after being bored to death. The biggest thrill was when I thought they were going to get drunk, get stupid and get zombified–nope.

cartooner on March 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

2). Raylan’s ungreatful wife on Justified.
nukemhill on March 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Agreed! When her boss, the judge, said: “there are people who would pay good money to sniff your gym clothes” I concerned.

frank on March 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I now call it The Walking Seinfeld. A zombie show about nothing. But I’m hooked and will continue to watch.

Justified has really sucked this season.

Brat on March 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Brat on March 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Shut yo’ mouth sissy city sissy boy.

Yeah, your city is sissy too.

cozmo on March 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

ha ha ha haaaa, I called it last night here.

I knew Allah Pundit would hate that episode of Walking Dead because there was more talking and less zombie killing. Lots of scenes of the teen girl crying and Daryl talking about his feelings.

AP said,

No, oh no, I loved it when Rick went on about Stuff and Things!

AP said,

the same old stiffs from the core group we’ve been watching for three years.

But we knew very little about Beth and what motivates her, Daryl is probably most people’s fave, so more screen time of him is always welcome.

We also got to find out that he’s not just the tough and silent type, but he does care -but he deals with it by stuffing his feelings down. Personally, I welcome the additional character development with him.

AP said,

After that, who knows? Tyrese? The little girls?

I think they already did a show about Ty and the kids, where they met Carol at the end of the show. That’s the one where the Lizzie kid was suffocating baby Judith and killed some bunnies, the little psycho.

AP said,

Supposing that there is not much char dev – if you like a character, you want to spend more time with him, the way you would withyour best friend you’ve known for years.

Even if you know your best friend backwards and forwards, you still enjoy his/her company (I would hope)

Even if there is not much development, you learn more about a character. Daryl may not be totally different now than he was one or two episodes ago, but we got to learn a bit more about him and his past.

AP said, A better show would have explored that (murders in the club)
I don’t understand. How so? Were Beth and Daryl supposed to go into CSI: NY or Matlock mode and act as detectives and figure out who killed who in the club and why?

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM

cozmo ain’t you put yer pants back on yet?

Brat on March 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

And it seems that there are plenty of womenfolk who want to see him that way.

cozmo on March 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

No. As I’ve said on almost every WD thread, and I’m a woman, I do not want to see Daryl hook up with anyone on this show.

I tired of the Carol fans pulling for “Caryl” to happen (Carol and Daryl), and they went on about that for a couple of years or more, and this past season or two, it’s been “Daryl and Beth.”

Pairing Daryl up with a romantic partner would kind of ruin the character for me.

I think Daryl works better as a stand alone kind of guy – I’m fine with him having platonic friends, but I’m sick of TV shows and movies pairing everyone up.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Lost Girl is on Syfy at 10:00. Groundhog Day and Christmas all rolled into one episode.

Just renewed for Season 5. Booyea.

MichaelGabriel on March 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Brat on March 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Is it dark out?

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM

But you still want to see him nekid.

cozmo on March 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I agree.

Firefly_76 said,

Firefly_76 on March 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM

The character Carl’s hair looks similar. I said the same thing last week.

In real life, the actor who plays Daryl is about 46, 47 years old, and the blond girl on the show is probably 17 – 25. I don’t believe in “May December” relationships, especially not someone 45 or so with a 17-25 year old.

I don’t want Daryl getting a girlfriend on the show at all, but if they pair him up, if they really insist on giving him a GF, I hope they at least find someone with ten years of either side of his age, and not a teenagers.

(And no, not Carol. In real life, she is about the same age as Reedus, maybe a year or two older than him. She is fine as a big sister type character to him on the show, but as a love interest, NO!)

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM

But you still want to see him nekid.

cozmo on March 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM

No, actually, I do not.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Speaking of Comic Book Guy in relation to the Walking Dead, Matt Groening’s (sp?) old newspaper comic Life In Hell came to mind. One of his rabbit (pre Simpson character) was sitting on a couch watching MTV and saying to himself “the last 12 videos sucked but maybe th next one will be better”.

Since I stopped watching after the first season, this is how I envision the common Walking Dead viewer. Allah’s reviews are more entertaining anyway.

rihar on March 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Because Rick and his crew are just tougher opponents than the US Army, I guess.

Jon0815 on March 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

This sort of thinking was address in last night’s show. Who know how or why some surive and some do not?

There was a scene where the blonde teen girl yelled something at Daryl like, “You’re just angry because I’m still alive, and I’m not Michonne or Carol or Maggie…”

In other words, she is not as emotionally or physically tough as the other ladies on the show (does she even know how to use a fire arm?), and yet she is still alive. She says “there must be a reason for that.”

So, on this show, people who are big, fast, brave, or know how to use weapons aren’t going to necessarily be the ones who survive and make it.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM

We spent an entire hour to find out these two characters are exactly who they seem like they are.

I’m a fan, and that episode was not only disappointing, but painful.

John Deaux on March 3, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I find “Talking Dead”, the after show better than the actual show sometimes.

portlandon on March 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

It’s usually pretty entertaining, though it can depend on who the guests are.

There have been one or two “Talking Deads” that were not as sucessful because the guests were too weird or boring.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Black guy & his son who saved Rick in S1.
Old geezer with floppy hat. Guy was preachy but I like him.
Chubby black guy who got ate.
Crossbow guy and his brother
Chinese kid
The doctor from the farm

frank on March 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM

You can find all their names on sites like IMDB.

Morgan and Duane – Black guy & his son who saved Rick in S1.
Dale – Old geezer with floppy hat. Guy was preachy but I like him.
T Dog – Chubby black guy who got ate.
Daryl Dixon and Merle Dixon – Crossbow guy and his brother
Glenn – Chinese kid
Hershel Greene – The doctor from the farm

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM

If I wanna see working class stiffs beating on country club 1%ers I’ll put my copy of CADDYSHACK in the dvd player.

Rodney Dangerfield tops Darryl everytime.

Bruno Strozek on March 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Morgan and Duane – Black guy & his son who saved Rick in S1.
Dale – Old geezer with floppy hat. Guy was preachy but I like him.
T Dog – Chubby black guy who got ate.
Daryl Dixon and Merle Dixon – Crossbow guy and his brother
Glenn – Chinese kid
Hershel Greene – The doctor from the farm
TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Thanks:)

frank on March 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM

They need to reprise Zombie Shane, Zombie Merle, and Zombie Governor. Or at least have Dr. Whatshisname bring them back from the undead.

Valiant on March 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I loved this episode.

americanmama on March 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM

They are trying to get characters that people really care about. You can’t do that when all they do is stab walkers in the head and stay one dimension. They know they will be on season 10 before rumors of ending the show they need good characters depth for the long hall. All good stories have the protagonist having motive to do something. Have it be fighting crime or find love. Having the only motive in the zombie apocalypse is to survive does not last long. They need to find a reason for life again as their motive as all they have is each other.

tjexcite on March 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I liked last week’s episode, with Rick under the bed, but not this one.

According to Wikipedia, the blonde girl is 28.

Alana on March 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Before I was neutral about the main characters being killed off; now, I am in the scorched earth, killem all camp.

claudius on March 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM

what if they kill maggie next week? or maybe maggie and carl. not because you hate them, but to force the writers to tune up some of the other characters.

eh on March 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Or, Walking Dead: Miami?

eh on March 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM

claudius on March 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Actually, you’re right. The real root of the my sense of disappointment in this past episode is that I wanted see more of the new ArmyDude, RainMan and LauraCroft group. I think the Michonne flashback satisfactorily resolved all of the Prison Group’s story I was interested in seeing. I always presumed that Daryl was a good kid dominated by his rotten, sociopathic brother. I always thought that was how they wrote it.

eh on March 4, 2014 at 1:00 AM

That’s fair, though I will admit that I like seeing them isolated, and on the move, making the zombies actually scary again. That said, why do they make such stupid mistakes? Getting drunk and then burning down your only shelter? Camping when there’s a house within walking distance?

And yeah, I’m ready for them to all meet up again and stop this type of storyline.

Esthier on March 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM

How old is Beth? If she’s under 18 will Rick arrest Darrel for aiding the delinquency of a minor for getting her some moonshine?

Ruckus_Tom on March 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Occupy Walking Dead cookies?

Is there a market for that?

Cookie?

famous amos on March 4, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Normally i read this guys critism of the show and think “he is full of it”.
But he called this one right.
I mean geez lets see some action, and why are the main characters so stupid as to not accumulate supplies, BICYCLES ANYONE?
Look at what morgan did he had more firepower accumulated than the governor. He set up traps with critters in cages so walkers would impale themselves.

And why all the woods stuff, are they too cheap to rent some houses to film in?
Also This is Georgia, every guy n his brother out in the country is into guns n shooting ect.
You would think you would find a house with like 100 walker bodies in a pile in the yard and a redneck sitting on the roof with his AK rifle.

sniffles1999 on March 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Oh why are they all sleeping in the woods with a nice bright walker lure campfire going.

find a house, and at least push a couch to the front door like Rick did.

Lets have some common sense actions by the main characters.

Last week where the moron shot a hole in the trucks fuel tank
so they watched it drain, HELLO shove a rag in the hole its diesel
or a cork from a booze bottle, wrap it in rubber from a tire, then duct tape it, stuff like that.

sniffles1999 on March 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I watched a few episodes. But it turned into nothing but a soap-opera very quickly.

I understand that this is the standard formula for budget reasons. But that one decayed way too fast. In contrast, ‘Lost’ seemed to maintain a balance between action and character interplay.

Did I give up too soon?

Tsar of Earth on March 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM

IloiloKano on March 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Only a few out of every thousand people survived. That would make something close to 300 million walkers left.

As far as military goes. Remember nobody on bases is allowed weapons. Kind of tough when you wake up in a barracks with all the rest of the folks as walkers and nothing to fight them off with.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM

The actress is Emily Kinney and believe it or not in real life she is 28 years old. I don’t know how old she is on the show but it could be that she older than we think on the show.

Lucy43 on March 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Glenn – Chinese kid

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM

He’s Korean!

DarkCurrent on March 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Hershel is (was) at least 67 so I can’t imagine his daughters are minors.

eh on March 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM